Author Topic: Podcasts?  (Read 6188 times)

fruplicity

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Podcasts?
« on: May 30, 2012, 09:01:40 PM »
Anybody recommend good podcasts out there, perhaps ones related to MMM ways of thinking?

I like Marketplace Money though it usually tends to be pretty basic personal finance stuff. I've also enjoyed some of Consumerism Commentary's quick podcasts, there was one recently about a blogger's mother being a "mail-order bride" that was fascinating! Freakonomics can be good too. I'd love to find more finance/economic related, and I'm a sucker for personal stories and anecdotes. This American Life is usually hit or miss for me.

In non-monetary podcast world, I love funny, engaging interviews and have really enjoyed the Nerdist and WTF (both can be pretty raunchy). For the Canadians out there I also enjoy Q.

What else do you recommend?

Jake D

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • JD is Crazy
Re: Podcasts?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 02:18:13 AM »
Neither of these are remotely finance or frigality related, but both very clever and funny:

Uhh Yeah Dude: "America through the eyes of two american Americans"

TOFOP: an Australian podcast with Comedian/TV personality Wil Anderson and McCleods Daughters' Charlie Clausen. (I'm pretty sure TOFOP stands for "Thirty Odd Foot of Podcast", after Russell Crow's band)

A couple of friends of mine also have a podcast called "Fat Shan's Rubbish Radio", but I wouldn't recommend it. Haha.

Noncents

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 07:56:56 PM »
I love this topic!  I listen to the Nerdist, Marketplace Money and This American Life pretty regularly. Here are a few more:

Money related (that you didn't mention):
  • Planet Money (NPR, bi-weekly, length varies)
    Motley Fool (weekly? about an hour)  I like the show, but the hosts are NOT very Mustachian.  They frequently offer more aggressive investment advice than the typical MMM forum reader might be comfortable with.  Still - entertaining and informative.
    Market Foolery (Motley Fool, daily, short) same caveat as above.

Non-Money Related:
  • Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me, weekly, 1 hour npr comedy-news-triva show
    Car Talk - NPR weekly, 1 hour auto Q&A
    Radio Lab - NPR - scheduling varies, as does length - science based show - REALLY interesting.
    Stuff You Should Know - (howstuffworks.com) random weekly topics from body odor to human trafficking to presidential debates.  pretty informative.   

Others I occasionally listen to are "The Moth", "Fresh Air", "TEDTalks"... and "Coffee Break Spanish" as well :)

Ipodius

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 09:18:06 AM »
I'm a podcast addict - one of the best forms of entertainment out there, and 100% free if you already have internet access.

Podcasts I recommend for the Mustachian Listener:

1. Econtalk - if you have any interest in Economics, definitely listen to this podcast (and the archives) - learnt more from Econtalk than two years of Economics at University. http://www.econtalk.org/

2. Quirks and Quarks - the CBC Radio show on science, great listen

3. The Truth About Money with Eric Edelman - Sometimes a bit light on content, but has the odd gem.

Chris Pascale

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2023, 10:22:49 PM »
I decided to mosey on over to these old posts and found this.

In 2012 I remember listening to Dave Ramsey and Clark Howard on my phone and they were saying they had podcasts, but that seemed like such a useless change to me.

Even more interesting is that if this post was revived 5 years ago the answers would be so different from today.

Mellow Mallow

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2023, 01:42:19 AM »
Fire and Chill is fun to listen to - very entertaining and relaxed https://strongmoneyaustralia.com/podcasts/
They've stopped making it (due to new regulations about financial content providers), but there's a good back catalogue.
Also, it's Australian.

scottnews

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2023, 04:27:30 AM »
So many podcasts seem to come and go regarding FIRE.    Usually a podcasts first 100 are the best, then they start delving away from FIRE.

2 Sides of Fi has been pretty good.  https://twosidesoffi.com/ 

Animal Spirits is pretty good to.   Sometimes they mention FIRE, but its more a mainstream podcast.     They did show the market dips before a presidential election, which was news to me.  It can be fun banter though.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2023, 04:33:45 AM by scottnews »

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2023, 09:11:12 AM »
So many podcasts seem to come and go regarding FIRE.    Usually a podcasts first 100 are the best, then they start delving away from FIRE.

2 Sides of Fi has been pretty good.  https://twosidesoffi.com/ 

Animal Spirits is pretty good to.   Sometimes they mention FIRE, but its more a mainstream podcast.     They did show the market dips before a presidential election, which was news to me.  It can be fun banter though.

2 Sides of Fi has some good stuff. I've been listening to them on YouTube. One guy already retired, the other guy is close but appears to be "one more year"ing. I don't mean that as an insult. I'm not sure how I'll feel when I get close to retiring. I hate work but I like cheap healthcare and money every two weeks.

Animal Spirits is good for learning about the markets. I think their investing advice is pretty solid. It's mostly buy and hold indexing. I would ignore most of their lifestyle advice. They're more Boglehead than Mustachian.

erp

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2023, 09:27:06 AM »
I'm a sucker for both the Ezra Klein show (at NYT) and Vox Conversations during his tenure there (~ 2017-2020??). The Vox Conversations back catalogue has years of 'the Ezra Klein show' when it was a Vox production rather than a NYT one.

Money Talks and Drum Tower from the Economist are very good, and Babbage is usually fun (although I listen to it inconsistently).
I'll second both Q and Quirks and Quarks which were mentioned above - great Canadian content. Hard Fork is a fun tech podcast (also NYT).
Finally, I think Energy vs. Climate is maybe the best technical climate change podcast available. The depth of content is incredible and it's pretty entertaining.

I find that FIRE/Personal Finance podcasts usually don't have much to say that's interesting to me anymore. Once you've got the basics, a lot of it just comes down to execution (which is a boring podcast).

theninthwall

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2023, 11:00:56 AM »
We listen to I Will Teach You To Be Rich a lot. It's perhaps a kind of voyeuristic enjoyment, listening to couples talk about their finances.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2023, 06:18:41 AM »
Ezra Klein is great. 

I'm really enjoying Maintenance Phase - which debunks diet culture but is also very entertaining

Silicon Curtain about Russia and the war in Ukraine

If Books Could Kill - book reviews

Translating ADHD (by 2 ADHD coaches who also have ADHD)

Next Year in Moscow (by Arkady Ostrovsky -the Economists' Russia correspondent formerly)

Dear Therapists (by Lori Gottlieb - each week a new situation which they discuss and therapize)

Rough Translation - there's a huge back catalog of these - amazing stories of cultural differences and situations

Embedded

and many more...

Archipelago

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2023, 10:44:47 AM »
Following

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2023, 10:52:11 AM »
I can share an OPML file with the group if you can tell me how to do it. It contains most of these podcasts listed here now. Makes it easy to import podcasts and delete unwanted podcasts.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2023, 03:04:28 PM »
For folks avoiding the mainstream podcast providers like iTunes and such and who prefer a RSS link instead - use this website:

https://pod.link

It provides a ton of different kinds of links like RSS, itunes, iHeart and Google Podcasts.

I like free gpodder.net for an app in (Kubuntu) Linux. I think there are Windows and Portable Apps versions as well.

https://portableapps.com/apps/internet/gpodder_portable

Ron Scott

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2023, 11:20:27 AM »
Rick Ferri’s Boglehead interviews are educational, and they avoid the issues that seem to create a general dislike for their forum among some here.

This Week in AI will keep you abreast of progress in the tech that will upend work as we know it.

Lex Fridman does long format, 3-hour interviews with big thinkers. Pick your interests.

clarkfan1979

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2023, 11:44:02 AM »
Anybody recommend good podcasts out there, perhaps ones related to MMM ways of thinking?

I like Marketplace Money though it usually tends to be pretty basic personal finance stuff. I've also enjoyed some of Consumerism Commentary's quick podcasts, there was one recently about a blogger's mother being a "mail-order bride" that was fascinating! Freakonomics can be good too. I'd love to find more finance/economic related, and I'm a sucker for personal stories and anecdotes. This American Life is usually hit or miss for me.

In non-monetary podcast world, I love funny, engaging interviews and have really enjoyed the Nerdist and WTF (both can be pretty raunchy). For the Canadians out there I also enjoy Q.

What else do you recommend?

1. Money Guy Show
2. Bigger Pockets Money
3. Choose FI
4. Afford Anything
5. The Nine club (skateboarding)
6. The Bomb Hole (snowboarding)

parkerk

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2023, 12:15:29 PM »
Can I put in a specific request here for decluttering/minimalism/anti-hoarding podcasts? Ideally something that provides ideas for concrete actions to take when you're already overwhelmed by stuff. DH has great intentions towards wanting to get rid of a bunch of his accumulated junk but those sometimes falter in the face of actually getting rid of stuff, or being offered something for free that "might be useful one day." 

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2023, 01:18:21 PM »
I love Afford Anything!  Paula Pant is an amazing interviewer, asks such good questions, content is great, her recaps and takeaways are great.  I don't love that she is personally real estate focused in her approach to FI, but the content is broad enough for someone aiming for FI without significant real estate holdings.  All around super.

I listened to Choose FI for a while, but it got tiresome. Maybe it would be good for someone just getting introduced to the idea of FI.

I enjoyed Mad FIentist, but IDK how relevant older episodes may be.

Ron Scott

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2023, 11:43:58 AM »
Can I put in a specific request here for decluttering/minimalism/anti-hoarding podcasts? Ideally something that provides ideas for concrete actions to take when you're already overwhelmed by stuff. DH has great intentions towards wanting to get rid of a bunch of his accumulated junk but those sometimes falter in the face of actually getting rid of stuff, or being offered something for free that "might be useful one day."

I am a great declutterer of my wife’s junk. My excess valuables however might actually be useful some day, so no need to go all Marie Kondo on it.

Log

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2023, 01:33:35 PM »
The Urbanist Agenda, Strong Towns, Abundance (A California YIMBY Podcast), Upzoned, The War on Cars, and Active Towns are all relevant for the walk/bike-ability, environmentalism, and reducing transportation costs facet of MMM. I personally listen to the first two regularly, and occasionally to the others.

Zette

• Stubble
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2023, 07:14:11 AM »

A Slob Comes Clean. It’s a very different take on how to declutter, making continual progress without ever making a bigger mess.

lhamo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2023, 08:34:45 AM »

I've started watching The Minimal Mom on Youtube after moving WAY too much stuff out of the house we just sold.  Goal is to get rid of a lot of it before the next move (in a rental at the moment).

Apples

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2023, 02:02:07 PM »
I second A Slob Comes Clean.  Pick and choose episode topics to fit what you want to listen to, but the host is really sympathetic to people and wants to support them in doing tough work of decluttering and cleaning.  She's not a facepunch-style person, which generally doesn't work in the realm of personal decluttering.  She also has a bunch of baby steps and admits to her own times where she can barely do the bare minimum.  So I think she's a great listen.  I actually listen while I clean once in a while lol.  She has episodes on cleaning, others on decluttering, and others on what are the very first steps you can take when the mess/room/house is overwhelming.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!