Author Topic: Plans/goals for 2023  (Read 453 times)

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
Plans/goals for 2023
« on: December 28, 2022, 09:08:55 AM »
There are a few days left until a new year begins, at least if you follow the Gregorian calendar. I like to spend the quiet days before new year on dreams, plans, ideas and goals for the new year. Any one else contemplating the future?

We har many good things to look forward to in 2023, and some things to that will be less fun but needs to be done:

Family:
-Second child (15) will move 2 hours away to go to high school in the fall. It will be very strange to have no kids at home during the week.
-DH is getting new medicines now, hopefully with less side effects

House:
-New windows will be installed in February. It will make the house much prettier, and hopefully warmer. The old windows were 50 y.o. and rotten.
-Hopefully we can get the plumber to come before easter, so DH can finish the bathroom before summer. Maybe we even can get plumbing to the cabin and rent it out?
-Need to book the electrician

Farm:
-In total we currently have customers for 20 000 eggs a year (15 000 quail and 5000 chicken). The goal for 2023 is to have 40 laying hens and 200 laying quail, producing roughly 10 000 chicken eggs and 50 000 quail eggs. To reach this goal, DH has to finish building aviaries in the barn, and I have to hatch out one more large batch of quail and one of chickens, in addition to the ones that are currently in the machines and brooders.
-Will attend a slaughtering class in spring, and try to get the kitchen approved as a farm scale slaughter house. If this works out, we can look into offering local hotels fresh quail. Maybe also get some muscovy ducks or geese.
-I have to accept that rabbits, particularly angoras, are not our thing. I'm just not quite sure what to do with the two we have jumping around in the barn, yet. They are not really good breeding stock, so honestly, the best thing to do would be to slaughter them. Unless I can convince a neighbor to take care of them.
-Will focus on planting enough berry bushes to fulfill the minimum requirements for agricultural subsidies (100 m2)
-If the young nut trees survive the winter, we will plant them out as a food forest/silvopasture, selling the surplus trees.
-Focusing on planting vegetables that will actually be harvested.

Work:
-Will try to just work 100 %
-Will try to focus on the fun parts of the job
-Will try to focus on the positive sides of travelling for work
-Hoping to land a large project on local environmentally friendly food
-Will find room to have several long holidays: 5 weeks of annual holiday + 2 weeks left over from 2022 + 2 weeks of PTO

Health:
-Figure out what is going on with the vitamine deficiencies and brain fog
-Continue to make small plans for each day, limited to three action points

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!