Author Topic: People Start Hating Their Jobs at Age 35  (Read 13728 times)

HeadedWest2029

• Bristles
People Start Hating Their Jobs at Age 35
« on: August 23, 2017, 07:11:41 AM »
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-08-21/people-start-hating-their-jobs-at-age-35

I think I started becoming mustachian when I was 33.  Or more precisely, I was a decent saver who started getting more focused on FIRE once I knew it was a legitimate path.  I'm not sure I fit the mold of burned out, or disappointed that I haven't climbed the corporate ladder (I've never been that motivated), but definitely felt like there was more to life than squeezing time with friends and family around work hours.

Schaefer Light

• Handlebar Stache
Re: People Start Hating Their Jobs at Age 35
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 07:18:19 AM »
That is spot-on for me.  I'm 38 now, and it was 3 years ago when I really started hating my job.

VoteCthulu

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 07:25:50 AM »
Hate is a bit strong for me, but my job satisfaction took a sharp turn from around 8/10 to about 5/10 when I was 35.

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 05:26:09 PM »
I was 36, but that year (and every year since) my job suddenly had about 2x the amount of work travel so I think that is much more of a factor.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2017, 05:51:19 PM »
I started hating my last job at about age 32.  I kinda like my current job now.  Still want to retire though.

FINate

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2017, 06:25:28 PM »
Wow. Yep, 35 is when my job satisfaction took a dive.
  • Performance managed to death? Check!
  • Work life balance? Check!
  • What am I doing this for? Check!
  • Burnt out? Check!
They forgot office politics and commute.

wordnerd

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2017, 06:31:44 PM »
^Yes. Office politics is one of the biggest things driving me out. In my experience, it does increase the higher you go.

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2017, 06:34:54 PM »
I guess I'll never know;)

Although, they had just doubled my workload with no promotion when I announced my departure, so I'm pretty sure my level of hate would have gone up had I not retired!

YummyRaisins

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2017, 06:35:09 PM »
34 and still liking my job. haven't been there that long though (1.5 years).

It pays well compared to what I was getting previously to do much of the same work and I'm near the bottom of the ladder, so lots of room to grow.

They forgot office politics
Ok, this one sucks, but so far it hasn't affected me too much. Most people know I'm a "quit your bullshit" type, so maybe they just avoid me.

Mac_MacGyver

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2017, 07:35:14 PM »
35 was around the time I started enjoying it

TartanTallulah

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2017, 01:47:11 AM »
I liked my job at 35. I started to like it less at 46. The job changed far more than I did. If it was still as stimulating and lightly regulated as it was in the last millennium, I'd still be going to work with a spring in my step every day.

Monkey Uncle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2017, 04:27:08 AM »
I got my first menial job when I was 16, and starting hating that one pretty much immediately.  Got another menial job a few months later, and hated that one immediately, too.  My first career-oriented job came along when I was 24, and it took maybe two or three years before I started hating that one.  Switched employers in my mid thirties, and things were more tolerable for maybe six or seven years, although I wouldn't say I really enjoyed the job.  By the time I reached my mid 40s, I was thoroughly, completely over the whole career thing.

I guess I'm just not the type who likes trading my time for someone else's priorities.

aperture

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2017, 04:49:04 AM »

I was happy and clueless for years until my department went through a reorg.  Old leadership was pragmatic, predictable and provided goals that made sense.  New leadership was chaotic, self-aggrandizing and set 100s of goals with constant shifting among tactics with the threat of dire consequences should we not achieve outcomes.  About the time I was giving up on that BS and finding new games to play on my iPhone, I discovered MMM and got serious about painting my parachute with a great big dollar sign.  I had a late start in my current profession (age 35), and this started about age 50 - so 15 years into my career.

the_fella

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2017, 07:07:19 AM »
Sounds like I got a 10 year head start, then. Lol.

fattest_foot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2017, 12:19:23 PM »

I was happy and clueless for years until my department went through a reorg.  Old leadership was pragmatic, predictable and provided goals that made sense.  New leadership was chaotic, self-aggrandizing and set 100s of goals with constant shifting among tactics with the threat of dire consequences should we not achieve outcomes.  About the time I was giving up on that BS and finding new games to play on my iPhone, I discovered MMM and got serious about painting my parachute with a great big dollar sign.  I had a late start in my current profession (age 35), and this started about age 50 - so 15 years into my career.
If anyone is curious about where that image comes from, it's an extremely long but poignant article found here:
https://www.ribbonfarm.com/the-gervais-principle/

Definitely a loser here. I put in my time to take home my paycheck. I wish I had the drive to be a sociopath, because it'd definitely make the path to FIRE quicker.

I doubt very many in the FIRE community fall into the clueless. They may end up taking on a middle management role, but are still looking for the exit.

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2017, 01:30:17 PM »
I also have always hated trading time for money. Not only do they control what you do with most of your waking hours but also have the right to control your behavior. I have to smile at work. That makes it twice as exhausting.

11ducks

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2017, 05:33:56 PM »

I was happy and clueless for years until my department went through a reorg.  Old leadership was pragmatic, predictable and provided goals that made sense.  New leadership was chaotic, self-aggrandizing and set 100s of goals with constant shifting among tactics with the threat of dire consequences should we not achieve outcomes. 

You have just described my new bosses. Workplace had a complete overhaul of management 2 years ago (at 31), and they have slowly but surely been running the place into the ground, all the while touting about how much better things are. They spend hours and thousands of dollars of combined manpower on pretty graphs and info graphics, designing slogans and buzzwords (without doing any actual work), coming up self-created leadership and visionary positions. They leap from idea to idea, focusing intently on each for around a week at a time, getting angry at you if you haven't drunk the Kool-Aid and 100% committed to their poorly designed and executed plan, before abandoning it to move to the next big thing. 10 years to go, 10 years to go....

FINate

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2017, 07:03:07 PM »

I was happy and clueless for years until my department went through a reorg.  Old leadership was pragmatic, predictable and provided goals that made sense.  New leadership was chaotic, self-aggrandizing and set 100s of goals with constant shifting among tactics with the threat of dire consequences should we not achieve outcomes. 

You have just described my new bosses. Workplace had a complete overhaul of management 2 years ago (at 31), and they have slowly but surely been running the place into the ground, all the while touting about how much better things are. They spend hours and thousands of dollars of combined manpower on pretty graphs and info graphics, designing slogans and buzzwords (without doing any actual work), coming up self-created leadership and visionary positions. They leap from idea to idea, focusing intently on each for around a week at a time, getting angry at you if you haven't drunk the Kool-Aid and 100% committed to their poorly designed and executed plan, before abandoning it to move to the next big thing. 10 years to go, 10 years to go....

So...you work for a corporation. [says the guy with an MBA]

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2017, 12:03:04 AM »
I was an early bloomer, I guess?? Cancer in my early twenties gave me all the impetus I needed to begin the quest for FIRE.

JohnSteed

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2017, 02:23:30 AM »
I'm 45 and like my job.

Monkey Uncle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2017, 04:14:46 AM »
I'm 45 and like my job.

What the hell is wrong with you?!  JK ;)

kjulez_83

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2017, 04:43:58 AM »
I don't hate my job (right at this moment) but I am sort of indifferent to it. I will work hard in the hours I am there for (and very occasionally outside of them), but I am not enthusiastic about my "career", I just don't actually understand how anyone who works in HR could be lol. I'm 34.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

rantk81

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2017, 01:03:38 PM »
During my first week at my "real job" out of college, I realized that I didn't want to be stuck doing this until my 60s.

Over the years, there have been different time periods of love/hate toward my job...

I am 35 now, and the hate has been really ramping up over the past couple years, with almost no "love".

I'm ready to be done.

Channel-Z

• Stubble
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2017, 05:21:50 PM »
I wouldn't say I hate my job. I don't wake up with dread and fear. But I'm not enthusiastic about it either.

Aegishjalmur

• Bristles
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2017, 06:06:21 PM »
I guess I am an overachiever. Combination on surviving well over a dozen layoffs over as many years, a feast or famine OT cycle, and steadily decreasing incentive structure.

LouisPritchard

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2017, 08:15:36 PM »
I hated my last job (oilfield) and just up and quit at 34. Took a year off and decided to go back to work as an accountant. I sorta like my current gig; all holidays off and lots of PTO. Knowing you can afford to quit something helps a lot, and I think most people need a complete change of pace every so often. Current job gets crappy I'll walk out and go do construction or something. I'm at the point the paycheck doesn't matter but I like to get up and go do something most days.

mohawkbrah

• Bristles
  • every day they see me hustling those pennies away
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2017, 12:59:57 AM »
i hated every job ever since i started working. discovering MMM and ERE when i was 16 didnt help XD

Little Aussie Battler

• Stubble
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2017, 02:01:02 AM »
I always was ahead of the curve...

LostGirl

• Bristles
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2017, 03:09:03 PM »
I went through a phase of really disliking my job but then I jumped back in with both feet. I think being fully engaged helps to stave off dissatisfaction with still working. I don't LOVE it but I do like it a lot of days.

nwhiker

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2017, 03:29:38 PM »
For me 35 was when I really started enjoying my job. For the first 12 years or so I was involved in matters that interested me very little and had the idea that I had to climb the corporate ladder. Then I moved into a position that I enjoyed 95% of the time and realized that not everyone has to move into management. Now I in a position that allows me to make good money, is intellectually stimulating, and allows me to put in 40-45 hours per week to accomplish all my tasks.

Clean Shaven

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2017, 03:42:02 PM »
I'm 45 and like my job.

What the hell is wrong with you?!  JK ;)

Have you met his coworker?

Valhalla

• Bristles
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2017, 03:55:03 PM »
I hated my job in the 20's... slaving away as a newb in my career going up the corporate ladder.  I enjoyed my job in my 30's more as I gained seniority and management trust in my abilities, so I had more and more freedom to work as I wished until I worked myself into a FIRE situation.

dreams_and_discoveries

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2017, 12:29:01 PM »
I usually start hating a job after a year, first few months is fun learning all the new stuff and people, then enjoying getting things done. At the year point the politics /  role start to grate, and I feel it's time to think about something else. Having said that, I really like my current gig, and it's only recent developments that have started to grate, at 18 months in...

BallerOnABudget

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2017, 12:39:16 PM »
For me it wasn't 35, it was around the time I became a "real adult" with a house, wife, and kids. And it wasn't that I began to hate my job...I hated having a job. Things that were previously accepted as just a fact of life became very annoying. I have to wake up, leave my kids to drive into town, then sit there 8 hours before driving back among a sea of other cars? Five days a week? I started to do the math and realized just how much TIME - which is obviously quite finite - I was spending either getting to work, being at work, or thinking about work.

Don't get me wrong - I'm glad to have a job that allows me to take care of my family, but man it sure put a bunch of stuff in perspective. Like cars. I could buy a new car...but then I'd be going to work to afford the car that gets me to...work. F that, I'll drive my beater until it dies.

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2017, 12:57:50 PM »
Most people start hating their jobs at age 35 because for many of them that's the 20 year mark of working (at least it was for me) and then realizing that they are getting nowhere and they are wage slaves. Thanks to corporate consumerist programming.

How do you avoid those feelings? By getting the power (money) to say NO to people without them being able to retaliate against you financially. That's pretty much my goal right now, because I am really tired of having to do things I don't like just to get money.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 01:31:00 PM by WhiteTrashCash »

Samuel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2017, 01:26:38 PM »
If anyone is curious about where that image comes from, it's an extremely long but poignant article found here:

Definitely a loser here. I put in my time to take home my paycheck. I wish I had the drive to be a sociopath, because it'd definitely make the path to FIRE quicker.

I doubt very many in the FIRE community fall into the clueless. They may end up taking on a middle management role, but are still looking for the exit.

Thanks for the link. Quite interesting (but only through Part 1 so far).

And yep, fellow loser. But at least we're rationally-disengaged losers...

retired?

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2017, 01:42:47 PM »
I usually start hating a job after a year, first few months is fun learning all the new stuff and people, then enjoying getting things done. At the year point the politics /  role start to grate, and I feel it's time to think about something else. Having said that, I really like my current gig, and it's only recent developments that have started to grate, at 18 months in...

Same here.  I think in every job I've held, that it takes about 6-12 months to 'uncover' all those things that one cannot find out during the interviewing/hiring process.

I left corporate world after 15 years.  It wasn't the work, which I liked.  It was the people.  Many good people, but too many a-holes in positions impacting me.  Now, I find myself missing the interaction with the good people and the creativity of the work.

hoosier

• Stubble
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2017, 01:52:16 PM »
36 here.  I don't think I hate my job yet, but my tolerance for bullshit is at an all time low.

avrex

• Bristles
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2017, 10:24:42 PM »
I've wanted to FIRE since I started working.  lol.  My mantra is,

"I Work to Live".

Why?  Because there are so many more interesting and (unpaid) activities that I would rather do in my life.

Perhaps hate is too strong a word.  My work/jobs have been sort of 'ok'.  I've been a competent/hard working/valued employee over my many roles.  A better word might be 'engaged'.  So, the question is, At what age did you stop being 'engaged' with your job?

For me, the answer was around 40 years old.
My engagement level went from 6 out of 10 (when I began working) and bottomed out at a 1 out of 10 by the time I hit 40 years of age.

Valhalla

• Bristles
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2017, 10:27:34 PM »
36 here.  I don't think I hate my job yet, but my tolerance for bullshit is at an all time low.
I like this quote! :)

VolcanicArts

• Stubble
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2017, 10:53:07 PM »
I have had jobs that I absolutely hated at the beginning of my career. The job I've had for the last two years has been really flexible for me, and has pretty good pay and benefits. I consider myself to be a decent and knowledgeable employee, but I have no aspirations to move up the career ladder. Since I see FI to be reasonably close, I aim to stay low key and continue to improve my income stream on side projects, which right now I'm starting a woodworking and engraving business (about a year in so far). I would say that I like my job, but sometimes I feel bored with it. I think the best thing for me now is to expand my knowledge set outside of my career field to prepare me for when I actually FIRE so I can have stuff to bring in some income and keep me busy.

vittelx

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2017, 05:55:41 AM »
I'm just bored.

This.

Most days when I get to work i think to myself "great - here comes 8 hours of nothingness".

But the pay is good'ish the benefits are phenomenal, so you stay in the hamster wheel for another week while you inch yourself towards FIRE.

Knapptyme

• Bristles
« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2017, 06:17:42 AM »
I'm now 35 and left my teacher job over the summer to be a SAHD. Most of the above reasonates with me i.e. politics, bs, boredom, micromanaging from above, but I still liked teaching. My wife still teaches at that school, and I hear stories of stupid administrative decisions coming home. Don't miss it, and it may have grown to hatred of employment altogether.

Side note: my previous school was way worse, and I hated it. I was 25 when they "let me go" for insubordination.

A Definite Beta Guy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2017, 07:03:12 AM »

Thanks for the link. Quite interesting (but only through Part 1 so far).

And yep, fellow loser. But at least we're rationally-disengaged losers...

I really hate working for the Clueless managers/supervisors.

Accidental Fire

• Stubble
    • Sweet designs for your outside lifestyle
« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2017, 07:04:09 PM »
I have had jobs that I absolutely hated at the beginning of my career. The job I've had for the last two years has been really flexible for me, and has pretty good pay and benefits. I consider myself to be a decent and knowledgeable employee, but I have no aspirations to move up the career ladder. Since I see FI to be reasonably close, I aim to stay low key and continue to improve my income stream on side projects, which right now I'm starting a woodworking and engraving business (about a year in so far). I would say that I like my job, but sometimes I feel bored with it. I think the best thing for me now is to expand my knowledge set outside of my career field to prepare me for when I actually FIRE so I can have stuff to bring in some income and keep me busy.

This is pretty much me except I LOVED my job for a good while from about 4 to 8 years in (late 20's early 30's). Then the slow slide to boredom and disengagement began and it's dumped me in the basement in my mid 40's. The great news is that I negotiated a part time position starting in two weeks! I'm going to go on "semi-retirement' and work 20 hours a week, and I couldn't be more psyched. I also don't have to be a manager anymore and supervise 60+ people, which is the part I hate most. Part of me is a little nervous or apprehensive since I'm 22 years at my job and have status, but I know deep in my heart that I MUST do this.

I'm also working side gigs, the most fun one is selling graphic designs (see signature). It pays some of my monthly utility bills and that's a start. My goal is to expand it and another idea to the point that they bring in 15 or 20k a year. That simple additional income doing fun stuff on my own time is like having 375,000 more in my stash (by the 4% rule). Life is looking good, and fun!

Chairman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2017, 09:10:47 AM »
I don't hate my job but I know it will be the end of me (too much stress) if I don't get out soon. At this point I am trying to perform satisfactorily (not get fired) and other than that avoid BS and stuff that makes me anxious or worried or sad. This feeling started late thirties.

JayKay

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #46 on: September 05, 2017, 03:34:15 PM »
It's not that I hated it, but I started to really worry about the future about that age, maybe a little sooner.  It's what made me look at FIRE as an option.

In most fields, 40 is when people really get going, but in my field, you're often considered on the verge of being unemployable.