Author Topic: Pandemic hoarding  (Read 263249 times)

slappy

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Pandemic hoarding
« Reply #1500 on: January 10, 2023, 06:53:58 AM »
So, I mentioned around 3 weeks ago I ordered food from Costco. That included eggs that were two dozen for around $5.50. I just looked and now the same eggs (two dozen) are $7.10 and limit of two (4 dozen). Out of curiosity, I checked my local Stop & Shop, and their eggs are thru the roof! One dozen $4.79 to $8.49 depend on brand. The cheaper eggs are out of stock of course.

I had a spiral ham over the holidays and made a pea soup with the bone. After the soup was made, I saved the bone, rinsed it off and froze it. I am going to make a white bean soup in the future and going to reuse the bone to make the soup. I have no idea if the bone is going to give me any flavor but will see what happens! Never reused a ham bone before!

Something I have been doing is buying sweet potatoes, washing them, throwing them in my crockpot with skins on. I add no water. Cook them on high or low until a knife goes in easily into potatoes. Let cool and remove skins. Then mash, adding a dollop of butter. I have been freezing the mashed sweet potatoes in small ziplocks to pull out for a quick side dish for dinner. They taste very good; the skins pull off easy and mashing is a breeze!

I bought these beautiful long rainbow peppers from Costco. Yesterday, I cut them vertically, removed the seeds and roasted them in the oven. I covered them with olive oil to roast. They came out so good. I also froze them for a later date when we have burgers or sandwiches.

I'm having trouble getting eggs when I order from BJs. The price now is 5 doz for $22. It used to $15. Now I put in an order and they say the eggs are out of stock. Egg prices elsewhere are crazy high too. We were eating several eggs a day each, but have decided to focus on other protein sources for now. Ironically, chicken breast is on sale for almost as low as I've ever seen it.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1501 on: January 10, 2023, 08:43:57 AM »
I bought 5 dozen conventional eggs at Costco yesterday for $15.99. I figure that will keep us going until our chickens are laying more regularly again - we're about 8 eggs/week now, and we're a lot of people.

There was a limit of 2 boxes/membership, so people must be snapping them up. (And indeed, most carts seemed to have a box of eggs in them.)

eyesonthehorizon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1502 on: January 10, 2023, 09:02:59 AM »
... I had a spiral ham over the holidays and made a pea soup with the bone. After the soup was made, I saved the bone, rinsed it off and froze it. I am going to make a white bean soup in the future and going to reuse the bone to make the soup. I have no idea if the bone is going to give me any flavor but will see what happens! Never reused a ham bone before!

Something I have been doing is buying sweet potatoes, washing them, throwing them in my crockpot with skins on. I add no water. Cook them on high or low until a knife goes in easily into potatoes. Let cool and remove skins. Then mash, adding a dollop of butter. I have been freezing the mashed sweet potatoes in small ziplocks to pull out for a quick side dish for dinner. They taste very good; the skins pull off easy and mashing is a breeze! ...
Reusing the bone will be more effective if you add some acid to the water while the level is still low enough to be concentrated - usually I use vinegar, let it go for a while, then add the rest of the water & whatever I'm cooking afterward. That pulls more calcium from the bone into the liquid. I don't know for sure if degrading the bones that way also unlocks other nutrients but it wouldn't surprise me because it makes the bone structure visibly more porous.

What are you doing with the sweet potato skins after? Tons of fiber, as well as a lot of the sugar, & for the latter reason they taste FANTASTIC if you dry them into crisps in the oven.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1503 on: January 10, 2023, 12:58:08 PM »
... I had a spiral ham over the holidays and made a pea soup with the bone. After the soup was made, I saved the bone, rinsed it off and froze it. I am going to make a white bean soup in the future and going to reuse the bone to make the soup. I have no idea if the bone is going to give me any flavor but will see what happens! Never reused a ham bone before!

Something I have been doing is buying sweet potatoes, washing them, throwing them in my crockpot with skins on. I add no water. Cook them on high or low until a knife goes in easily into potatoes. Let cool and remove skins. Then mash, adding a dollop of butter. I have been freezing the mashed sweet potatoes in small ziplocks to pull out for a quick side dish for dinner. They taste very good; the skins pull off easy and mashing is a breeze! ...
Reusing the bone will be more effective if you add some acid to the water while the level is still low enough to be concentrated - usually I use vinegar, let it go for a while, then add the rest of the water & whatever I'm cooking afterward. That pulls more calcium from the bone into the liquid. I don't know for sure if degrading the bones that way also unlocks other nutrients but it wouldn't surprise me because it makes the bone structure visibly more porous.

What are you doing with the sweet potato skins after? Tons of fiber, as well as a lot of the sugar, & for the latter reason they taste FANTASTIC if you dry them into crisps in the oven.

Thanks for the information on the vinegar and water with the bone! I will do that when I use it. Do you think roasting the bone in the oven might help too? I didn't roast it originally the first time.

Sorry to say I have been tossing the sweet potato skins! OH NO! I will have to remember next time to keep them and dry them out! GRRRR, wish I had known!

K_in_the_kitchen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1504 on: January 10, 2023, 04:01:44 PM »
I was able to get 8 dozen eggs from Sam's Club back in December -- after watching for them to be back in stock I placed a pick up order for my allowed 2 cartons, and then when I went for my pick up order we decided to go inside and they had eggs in stock even though the app said out of stock again.  I got 2 more cartons, as allowed.  Sam's still sells 2 dozen eggs for $6 here in So Cal, but they are incredibly hard to find in stock.  An L.A. times article this week indicated the average price for a dozen large eggs in CA is $7.27, up from $4.83 at the beginning of December, and $2.35 a year ago.  California hasn't lost laying hens to bird flu yet, but doesn't have enough chickens to meet demand, and all of the eggs sold in CA from other states must be cage free.

Right now I'm nursing us through the rest of the eggs, and checking Sam's Club several times a day to see eggs are back in stock.  By checking other area stores, I can see that the various stores are getting them different days, and I know my store sometimes has them and sometimes doesn't, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

@Roadrunner53 My kid eats the sweet potato skins, and recently I saw a guest at our home do the same thing.  It turns out they are completely edible.  I guess I'll give it a try, but if I don't like them I think I'll save them to add to broth.  From what I understand sweet potato skins don't add much flavor, but do release vitamins and minerals into the broth.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1505 on: January 10, 2023, 05:11:31 PM »
Normally when I eat baked sweet potatoes, I eat the skins but for mashed, I never gave it a thought to save them. I guess I could put them in the air fryer to crisp them up too.

I did read that the bird flu is subsiding, and the price of eggs will start to go down soon. The article said the prices would not go down to the low prices of the past but would be easier to swallow.

The article said that the cost of grain for the chickens has gone up plus the shipping of the grain. So, the price for eggs is increasing for sure.

On another note, I tried ordering some things from Costco and they wouldn't ship them at this time. The items were 33 gallon size garbage bags, Kirkland tuna fish, Kleenex 10 pack that was on sale and I think a few more items. I did a Costco Instacart and was able to get the Kleenex along with the fresh veggies and other things I ordered. Nothing is easy!

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1506 on: January 10, 2023, 07:29:14 PM »
Eggs have always been more expensive here (all groceries are more expensive here) but I just did my on-line pickup order and eggs seem to be plentiful and priced as usual.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1507 on: January 16, 2023, 11:26:45 AM »
Thanks for the information on the vinegar and water with the bone! I will do that when I use it. Do you think roasting the bone in the oven might help too? I didn't roast it originally the first time.
As an aside, I also always add some cider vinegar when I'm making stock/broth from bones. I usually don't bother with a separate roasting cycle.

Sorry to say I have been tossing the sweet potato skins! OH NO! I will have to remember next time to keep them and dry them out! GRRRR, wish I had known!
OH NO is right! I use the Instant Pot instead of a crockpot, but I just mash up the whole sweet potato, skin and all.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2023, 11:33:34 AM by TomTX »

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1508 on: January 25, 2023, 01:33:34 AM »
I am going to be cooking a pork butt soon in my crockpot I guess. Have not cooked one in a long time. What method do you all use?

Another thing I am curious about is does anyone know if there is a slow cooker out there that offers a fast heat up cycle then can be reset to a high or low temp after an initial fast heat up? For instance, I started a pasta sauce in my slow cooker kind of late in the day and you know how long it takes to get the temperature up so it is bubbling. I was wondering if any slow cooker had a program where you could get the contents heated up quickly then it switches to a low temp for the rest of the duration. Maybe I need to invent one!

Ladychips

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1509 on: January 25, 2023, 05:25:43 AM »
I am going to be cooking a pork butt soon in my crockpot I guess. Have not cooked one in a long time. What method do you all use?

Rub with cavendars Greek seasoning and wrap in foil. Put a little water in the bottom. Delish!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1510 on: January 25, 2023, 06:45:25 AM »

Another thing I am curious about is does anyone know if there is a slow cooker out there that offers a fast heat up cycle then can be reset to a high or low temp after an initial fast heat up? For instance, I started a pasta sauce in my slow cooker kind of late in the day and you know how long it takes to get the temperature up so it is bubbling. I was wondering if any slow cooker had a program where you could get the contents heated up quickly then it switches to a low temp for the rest of the duration. Maybe I need to invent one!
Instant Pot has a saute feature. It's handy for browning before slow cooking. I think their space on the counter is being eclipsed by air fryers, so used ones are starting to pop up. Be careful buying used though, there was a period where some were defective. We bought 2 on a Black Friday deal via Amazon. They crapped out and Amazon replaced them. Not sure if it was a full blown recall, but Google will know. Perhaps you could borrow one to see if you like it well enough to buy new.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1511 on: January 25, 2023, 07:01:05 AM »
Eggs have always been more expensive here (all groceries are more expensive here) but I just did my on-line pickup order and eggs seem to be plentiful and priced as usual.

It's greed, pure greed.

https://www.reuters.com/markets/us/high-egg-prices-should-be-investigated-us-farm-group-says-2023-01-20/

Cal-Maine Foods (CALM.O), which controls 20% of the retail egg market, reported quarterly sales up 110% and gross profits up more than 600% over the same quarter in the prior fiscal year, according to a late December filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission.

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1512 on: January 25, 2023, 07:57:03 AM »

It's greed, pure greed.

https://www.reuters.com/markets/us/high-egg-prices-should-be-investigated-us-farm-group-says-2023-01-20/

Cal-Maine Foods (CALM.O), which controls 20% of the retail egg market, reported quarterly sales up 110% and gross profits up more than 600% over the same quarter in the prior fiscal year, according to a late December filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission.

So why haven't the other 80% of the market lowered prices to capture market share? Cal-Maine has definitely become more profitable as egg prices have shot up in the last year or so (3-10% EBITDA margin to 27%), but 20% of the market is hardly a monopoly. If Cal-Maine's farms haven't been affected by avian flu, then they're in a position to benefit from the rising prices while not facing the same supply constraints as their competitors.

As usual with statements like this, the timeframe they pick is important. A year ago Cal-Maine's Normalized EBITDA was $11 million on revenue of $390 million - a whopping 2.7% profit margin. The latest quarter it was $277 million on revenue of $802 million - a 35% profit margin.

slappy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1513 on: January 25, 2023, 08:18:45 AM »

It's greed, pure greed.

So why haven't the other 80% of the market lowered prices to capture market share? Cal-Maine has definitely become more profitable as egg prices have shot up in the last year or so (3-10% EBITDA margin to 27%), but 20% of the market is hardly a monopoly. If Cal-Maine's farms haven't been affected by avian flu, then they're in a position to benefit from the rising prices while not facing the same supply constraints as their competitors.

As usual with statements like this, the timeframe they pick is important. A year ago Cal-Maine's Normalized EBITDA was $11 million on revenue of $390 million - a whopping 2.7% profit margin. The latest quarter it was $277 million on revenue of $802 million - a 35% profit margin.

I have a stupid question...if there is an issue with supply with eggs, is this not affecting chicken meat as well? In my area, there is a one store that has run chicken breast on sale for 1.99 a pound for weeks now. The cheapest I've ever seen it was 1.69 a pound and that was a few years ago, so 1.99 seems pretty cheap. For reference, at Sam's/Bjs, it's currently 2.69/pound and that was the best price for awhile. So I have been wondering why it has been so cheap lately, if we are losing a lot of bird to the avian flu.

Bartlebooth

• Stubble
« Reply #1514 on: January 25, 2023, 11:01:21 AM »
Another thing I am curious about is does anyone know if there is a slow cooker out there that offers a fast heat up cycle then can be reset to a high or low temp after an initial fast heat up? For instance, I started a pasta sauce in my slow cooker kind of late in the day and you know how long it takes to get the temperature up so it is bubbling.

Typical slow cooker just applies continuous low wattage or high wattage.  Look for one with an actual temperature control.  Then in theory it would continuously apply max wattage until it reaches specified temperature and pulse power from there.  May vary depending on implementation.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1515 on: January 25, 2023, 11:08:52 AM »
I have a stupid question...if there is an issue with supply with eggs, is this not affecting chicken meat as well? In my area, there is a one store that has run chicken breast on sale for 1.99 a pound for weeks now. The cheapest I've ever seen it was 1.69 a pound and that was a few years ago, so 1.99 seems pretty cheap. For reference, at Sam's/Bjs, it's currently 2.69/pound and that was the best price for awhile. So I have been wondering why it has been so cheap lately, if we are losing a lot of bird to the avian flu.
There is no issue with the supply of eggs. There is an issue with egg suppliers gouging customers using the "avian flu" as an excuse to rake in rapacious profits. Egg production hasn't really changed much at all.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #1516 on: January 25, 2023, 11:18:23 AM »
There is no issue with the supply of eggs. There is an issue with egg suppliers gouging customers using the "avian flu" as an excuse to rake in rapacious profits. Egg production hasn't really changed much at all.
https://www.nass.usda.gov/Statistics_by_State/Regional_Office/Southern/includes/Publications/Livestock_Releases/Chicken_and_Eggs/2022/

and

https://www.nass.usda.gov/Statistics_by_State/Regional_Office/Southern/includes/Publications/Livestock_Releases/Chicken_and_Eggs/2023/ckpress0123.pdf

eggs have been under produced nationwide vs. 2021 by roughly 5% for about the last 6 months. Not sure whether this runs for or against your point.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1517 on: January 25, 2023, 11:23:12 AM »
I am agog at the number of eggs y'all are buying. I go shopping once a week and buy a dozen eggs a week or every other week. Is it a scarcity mentality or are you all eating multiple dozen eggs every week?

slappy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1518 on: January 25, 2023, 11:33:17 AM »
I am agog at the number of eggs y'all are buying. I go shopping once a week and buy a dozen eggs a week or every other week. Is it a scarcity mentality or are you all eating multiple dozen eggs every week?

I eat 2-3 a day and my husband also eats the same.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1519 on: January 25, 2023, 12:31:25 PM »

Another thing I am curious about is does anyone know if there is a slow cooker out there that offers a fast heat up cycle then can be reset to a high or low temp after an initial fast heat up? For instance, I started a pasta sauce in my slow cooker kind of late in the day and you know how long it takes to get the temperature up so it is bubbling.

Typical slow cooker just applies continuous low wattage or high wattage.  Look for one with an actual temperature control.  Then in theory it would continuously apply max wattage until it reaches specified temperature and pulse power from there.  May vary depending on implementation.

The only one I found so far is a Hamilton Beach 6 QT set and forget and has a temperature probe to cook to a precise temperature. Plus, it has a defrost feature! Here it is: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08X1NWN33/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B00EZI26GO&linkCode=as2&tag=homecookingtech-20&linkId=58543a748edd55ee69f2c926495e2c74&th=1

I was actually looking for one with a knob or something you could turn up to get liquid up to a boil quickly. This has some nice features. Like the defrost feature and the fact that it cooks to a set temperature with the probe. I don't want an Instant Pot. Had one and didn't like it. I know, I am the only one on earth who feels that way!

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1520 on: January 25, 2023, 12:32:54 PM »

We have a family of 8 and buy 15-dozen eggs from Costco every month or so.

If I make scrambled eggs for breakfast, it's a dozen. If we make omelets, it's about 20 or so. Even making pancakes or waffles it's 4-6 eggs to make our number double batch.

beekayworld

• Stubble
« Reply #1521 on: January 25, 2023, 01:17:05 PM »

You could put the food inside the ceramic insert, then heat the ceramic insert in a 400 degree oven (or in the microwave) while beginning to heat the electric part of the crockpot.  When the ceramic is hot and the contents are boiling, pull it from the oven and put in the crockpot and carry on.

beekayworld

• Stubble
« Reply #1522 on: January 25, 2023, 01:18:27 PM »

You could put the food inside the ceramic insert, then heat the ceramic insert in a 400 degree oven (or in the microwave) while beginning to heat the electric part of the crockpot.  When the ceramic is hot and the contents are boiling, pull it from the oven and put in the crockpot and carry on.

Here's a link indicating it's ok to put in the oven and microwave:
https://www.crock-pot.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-crockpot-Site/default/Support-Show?cfid=help-and-how-to-use-oven-and-microwave-safety-faq#:~:text=All%20Crockpot%E2%84%A2%20Slow%20Cooker,up%20to%20400%C2%B0F.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1523 on: January 25, 2023, 01:36:59 PM »

https://www.crock-pot.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-crockpot-Site/default/Support-Show?cfid=help-and-how-to-use-oven-and-microwave-safety-faq#:~:text=All%20Crockpot%E2%84%A2%20Slow%20Cooker,up%20to%20400%C2%B0F.

My even lazier way of doing stuff . . . boil the kettle, dump the contents into your crock pot at let it sit for about 5 minutes and then dump it out.  This will pre-heat it.  Then make sure that any liquids you add to the whole mess are boiling when you put them in.  Stuff cooks much faster this way in the crock pot because it's already hot when it starts.  No fussing around with the microwave or oven.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1524 on: January 25, 2023, 02:23:29 PM »

My even lazier way of doing stuff . . . boil the kettle, dump the contents into your crock pot at let it sit for about 5 minutes and then dump it out.  This will pre-heat it.  Then make sure that any liquids you add to the whole mess are boiling when you put them in.  Stuff cooks much faster this way in the crock pot because it's already hot when it starts.  No fussing around with the microwave or oven.

That is an interesting idea and I never thought to do that. I will try that next time I am rushed for time and still want to use the crockpot! Thanks!

K_in_the_kitchen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1525 on: January 25, 2023, 05:20:54 PM »

I have a spendypants Instant Precision Dutch Oven.  Yes, it's made by the Instant Pot people, but it isn't an Instant pot.  It's an enameled cast iron dutch oven slow cooker that can also be set to sear/sauté (400°F), braise (starts with high temperature to brown food and then lowers), etc.  There is one slow cooker setting (203°F), but the temperature can actually be set anywhere from 77°F to 400°F (lower temperatures for proofing dough, sous vide, incubating yogurt), although oddly I think the manual 1 setting only goes to 203°F and the manual 2 starts at 212°F, so they miss a small range in there.  But you can absolutely set it to a temperature that gets your food up to boiling quickly, and then turn it down.  The braise setting does it automatically.

I don't use it for sous vide or anything other than slow cooking, braising, and making stock.  It's fantastic to sear at 400°F and then turn it down to slow cook.  I can braise at a slightly higher temperature if I want food cooked faster.

I have a systemic nickel allergy, and the regular Instant Pot insert is 18/10 stainless steel, and I can't eat any food cooked at length in nickel-containing stainless steel.  I use the regular Instant Pot for sous vide, steaming potatoes and sweet potatoes, hard cooking eggs, etc. and to cook food for my family, but I can't eat food that has simmered in it all day.  Before I was diagnosed with the nickel allergy (finally -- answering years of health issues) I gave away my slow cooker to someone who needed one, so I was in the market for a slow cooker and wanted something that did more than the basic ceramic insert model -- in particular I wanted to be able to sear and slow cook in the same vessel, but it couldn't be 18/10 stainless.

Costco sells the Instant Precision dutch oven for $169, which as I said, is spendypants.  But it does exactly what I want it to do.  And while I figure the controls will give out one day, the dutch oven itself can be used without the appliance portion, so it won't be useless.

Most recently I cooked a pork butt in mine.  I salted and seared it, sprinkled garlic and onion powder all over it (after searing so the seasonings wouldn't scorch), and then put it on slow cook and let it go for 7 hours.  It didn't need any added liquid, and turned our beautifully.  I kept the seasonings simple because a pork butt is large for the three of us currently at home, so I wanted to be able to use it in various dishes.

K_in_the_kitchen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1526 on: January 25, 2023, 05:31:50 PM »

We go back and forth.  Some weeks college kid #2 cooks 2-3 eggs for breakfast every morning, some weeks not at all, or just a few in fried rice.  Some weeks DH makes eggs and toast most days, or I do.  With the shortages and price hikes, I try to buy a month's worth of eggs so I don't have to think about it.  The week I bought 9 dozen eggs when I already had 3 dozen was a fluke, but I already gave 2 dozen to a friend.  Right now I have just under 6 dozen eggs.  We pushed out our final January shop and will go next week, with a challenge to not grocery shop at all in February (and also to stay under the $200 we have budgeted for perishables in January, of which I still have $125).  I'm not planning to buy eggs, but if we're down to under 4 dozen on Monday and they have eggs in stock, I'll probably buy 2 dozen just to make sure we get through February.

I'm not sure I believe all of the hype about shortages raising prices, because Sam's Club has consistently sold eggs for $3 per dozen these past few months, whereas Walmart is $6 per dozen.  Same company, different prices.  I mean $3 per dozen is still high, but it isn't the $9 my neighbor paid for a dozen regular eggs at the national chain supermarket.  All of these grade A large white cage free (California requirement) eggs are the same, so the price differences between retailers don't make a lot of sense other than it being about profit.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1527 on: January 27, 2023, 10:54:38 AM »

We're a family of 6. We eat all meals at home, and bake a lot.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1528 on: January 28, 2023, 10:46:27 AM »

I have a spendypants Instant Precision Dutch Oven.  Yes, it's made by the Instant Pot people, but it isn't an Instant pot.  It's an enameled cast iron dutch oven slow cooker that can also be set to sear/sauté (400°F), braise (starts with high temperature to brown food and then lowers), etc.  There is one slow cooker setting (203°F), but the temperature can actually be set anywhere from 77°F to 400°F (lower temperatures for proofing dough, sous vide, incubating yogurt), although oddly I think the manual 1 setting only goes to 203°F and the manual 2 starts at 212°F, so they miss a small range in there.  But you can absolutely set it to a temperature that gets your food up to boiling quickly, and then turn it down.  The braise setting does it automatically.

I don't use it for sous vide or anything other than slow cooking, braising, and making stock.  It's fantastic to sear at 400°F and then turn it down to slow cook.  I can braise at a slightly higher temperature if I want food cooked faster.

I have a systemic nickel allergy, and the regular Instant Pot insert is 18/10 stainless steel, and I can't eat any food cooked at length in nickel-containing stainless steel.  I use the regular Instant Pot for sous vide, steaming potatoes and sweet potatoes, hard cooking eggs, etc. and to cook food for my family, but I can't eat food that has simmered in it all day.  Before I was diagnosed with the nickel allergy (finally -- answering years of health issues) I gave away my slow cooker to someone who needed one, so I was in the market for a slow cooker and wanted something that did more than the basic ceramic insert model -- in particular I wanted to be able to sear and slow cook in the same vessel, but it couldn't be 18/10 stainless.

Costco sells the Instant Precision dutch oven for $169, which as I said, is spendypants.  But it does exactly what I want it to do.  And while I figure the controls will give out one day, the dutch oven itself can be used without the appliance portion, so it won't be useless.

Most recently I cooked a pork butt in mine.  I salted and seared it, sprinkled garlic and onion powder all over it (after searing so the seasonings wouldn't scorch), and then put it on slow cook and let it go for 7 hours.  It didn't need any added liquid, and turned our beautifully.  I kept the seasonings simple because a pork butt is large for the three of us currently at home, so I wanted to be able to use it in various dishes.

I will have to look into the Instant Precision Dutch Oven. I have found an even MORE spendy pants multi cooker at $209.99 that I am very interested in. It has a stainless steel pot and is similar to an Instant Pot with no pressure cooker feature. It also does not have a concave bottom so the pot is the same shape from top to bottom giving you more space. It is dishwasher safe. I am sure I could put my crock in the dishwasher but I never do. This one sears meat which is a plus. You can control the temp which is what I am looking for.

https://www.amazon.com/HOUSNAT-Programmable-Stainless-Steaming-Adjustable/dp/B09J95V2DG?crid=3Q921AANAIUMV&keywords=housnat+slow+cooker&qid=1660148309&sprefix=housnat+,aps,63&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&linkCode=sl1&tag=amyleatocoo09-20&linkId=c551aa5e3da8524f4f471b4a6a56d850&language=en_US&ref_=as_li_ss_tl

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X96UBUk7ENM

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1529 on: January 28, 2023, 11:35:51 AM »
Went to Sam's Club at 9:30 am on Wednesday. No eggs, boo.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1530 on: January 28, 2023, 01:31:04 PM »
I had home delivery by Instacart from Costco recently. I am stocking up on potatoes. Bought two 10 lb bags of Yukon Gold potatoes and so far have made about 6 lbs of French Fries wedge potatoes. This is a work in process as I have not gotten the final cook down (after frozen) yet. Seems these potatoes need higher temps than I am cooking them at. I see 450F for about 30 minutes seems to be what is suggested. I will try that next. I used the air fryer and it only goes up to 400 degrees. Next time will be the oven. I also made some great mashed potatoes we had for dinner two nights. There is a little still left. Now I have the other 10 lbs of taters to cook. I have found a scalloped potato recipe that looks good. I might make some regular French fries too. I have my French Fry cutter machine to do that. The only drawback is that these potatoes are pretty small and the fries will be 'shorties'. We shall see. I plan to save about 5 potatoes for my corned beef this coming Thursday. If I don't make the shortie French fries maybe more French fry chunk wedges.

Then I have two 5 lb bags of onions. Will use one for another batch of caramelized onions in crockpot and the other will probably get chopped up and put into the freezer. Last time I flash froze them on a sheet pan in the freezer and that worked out great so they are not all stuck together. Just bagged them up and froze.

Too many times over the years, I have bought onions and potatoes and they go bad before I use them. I really hate that! So now I am trying to find ways to use them so I have them when needed. I have also baked Idaho potatoes, cooled and frozen them too.

Mr. Roadrunner made meatballs and meatloaf the other day! So good! I will be pulling out some of my garden tomato sauce from last year's garden and make spaghetti sauce. Will have some of the meatballs and will throw some of the leftover meatloaf into the pasta sauce. He made 24 meatballs and I froze them in packs of 4 or 5 per bag.

I also had two packages of mushrooms I threw into my crockpot with some butter and cooked them up this week and froze.

Mr. Roadrunner also cooked up 5 lbs of ground beef with onions. I let that cool and made 5 packages for the freezer. They come in so handy! I add them to chili, spaghetti sauce, poor man's stroganoff, stuffed peppers and other stuff.

Polaria, yes, it is better to be prepared. Do the best you can. Worst case, you will have extra food/water you can use up eventually or donate to a food bank, shelter or a goody bag for elderly neighbors.

For small potatoes I like to make cornmeal bbq roast potatoes, I make a big batch on the weekend and have them through the week.  I assume they would freeze beautifully.  Preheat the oven to 450, and line a sheet pan with parchment.  Wash and chunk up the potatoes into bite size pieces, size doesn’t matter too much but you want them to cook evenly so keep them more or less the same size.  Put the potatoes in a big bowl and drizzle with some olive oil, very little is needed here, don’t drown them.  Toss the potatoes to coat them with the oil, then add a good amount of BBQ spice (I use Clubhouse brand mixes, pretty much any spice mix can be used to change it up), and a good amount of corn meal (basically you want as much spice and corn meal as will stick to the potatoes).  Toss to coat the potatoes then dump them onto the pan in a single layer.  Roast for 20-25 minutes for potatoes up to 1” size.  Stir half way through.

Well, I guess you could say I am a little SLOW but I finally made these cornmeal coated chunked potatoes last night and they were fantastic! I used cayenne pepper instead of BBQ spice but we like stuff hot and it was pleasantly spicy! My oven was in desparate need of cleaning so didn't dare cook in it but used the air fryer. It only goes up to 400 degrees but they came out nice and crunchy-ish from the cornmeal. This is going to be something I will be cooking often. Thank you! My oven in in auto clean mode now so the next batch of taters can be cooked at a higher temp next time! When you rewarm for weeknight meals what is your method? I was thinking air fryer.

Not sure if this was mentioned but have you cooked and frozen these then warmed up at a later date? If so, how did you do it? Would be nice to have a stash in the freezer!

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1531 on: January 29, 2023, 05:25:29 PM »
I made my pork butt today and it came out awesome! Found a recipe for the crockpot and followed it precisely. My pork butt cooked on low for 8 hours, 40 minutes and was the perfect temp as the recipe suggests. If you follow the instructions exactly, I think you will have success like I did. This is definitely a keeper recipe!

The pictures are fantastic to see exactly how the recipe is put together.

If you are interested in it, here it is:
https://www.101cookingfortwo.com/crock-pot-pulled-pork-butt-right-way/comment-page-4/?unapproved=105592&moderation-hash=2d4185b7e20e1f22e5c888d4ecc4d656#comment-105592

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1532 on: February 08, 2023, 07:56:01 AM »

Costco two weeks ago only had a handful of 5-dozen organic cage free eggs left. Last week they had a sign up saying no eggs. Went to a different Costco yesterday and same thing - no eggs.

We can still get them at Walmart or the commissary, but I miss our box of 15-dozen eggs.

I wonder if it's because the distributors and wholesalers can get a better deal selling them in 12-18 packs to other grocery stores than in larger discounted packs to Costco and Sam's Club.

slappy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1533 on: February 08, 2023, 08:05:40 AM »
I get my eggs at BJs. Had some supply issues in the past few weeks. However, they were 21.99 for 5 dozen two weeks ago and now they are 19.99 per 5 dozen.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1534 on: February 08, 2023, 08:48:12 AM »
We've escaped to our Desert Hideaway. On the way in last Friday afternoon, we stopped at Sam's Club for a few provisions. They had a pallet of  5.99/24 eggs. Our getaway place has limited cooking options and a small under-counter refrigerator,  but I bought them anyway. I had always heard you can hard boil eggs in an electric kettle and now I know it works. Depending on when we leave, I may try to grab more on the way out.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1535 on: November 12, 2023, 10:59:18 AM »
Howdy folks! Just thought I would pass this along to all of those who use olive oil. This is the second year in a row heat waves have hurt crops and prices are going up again. I checked Costco and it seems the prices are higher. As usual, I will stock up some. Here is the article:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/a-new-threat-could-send-the-price-of-this-popular-cooking-staple-soaring-the-industry-is-in-crisis/ar-AA1hNZgv?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=4b550791a779402fa6b8277fe4b447a1&ei=28

Oh and the good news this year is that turkeys are real deals! My local Stop & Shop has them in all sizes for $0.49 a lb!

K_in_the_Kitchen previously you shopped at Butcher Box and so did I. I recently stopped buying meat from them. Have been getting very bad cuts of meat with gristle, fat and very tough. Started shopping at Wild Fork and love it. I love that everything I buy is al a carte and not locked into buying a box. Meat has been excellent so far. If you want, you can buy a membership which covers the shipping fees. It is $29 a year and shipping heavy frozen meat is very costly. It pays for itself in no time. The stuff comes hard as a rock and on schedule. I guess in some areas if there is a Wild Fork store they send a vehicle out to deliver to your home. I do not live in an area close to a store so it comes UPS to me.

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1536 on: November 14, 2023, 01:13:26 PM »
Roadrunner 53 - Thanks for resurrecting this post.  I sampled a few of the pages and it brought back memories of the pandemic.  Funny how quickly we I forget. 

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1537 on: November 15, 2023, 09:43:04 AM »
I was not sorry to have a good pantry in 2020, and I was not sorry to STILL have a good pantry last month when we finally got Covid. Lol

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1538 on: November 15, 2023, 10:01:52 AM »
Lol, I heard the price of EVOO was going to jump about a year ago. I bought four bottles at Costco and I've been storing them in the wine fridge. We don't drink, but it came with the house. Last week, I had guests, so I dug out a gifted bottle of wine to serve. As I did, I mentally kicked myself for buying so much EVOO. Thanks to you @Roadrunner53, I can put my foot back on the floor and use my hand to pat myself on the back, lol. Thanks for the link.

BTW, I've noticed that Vanilla prices are finally coming way down. I still have two 1.75 liters of Kirkland Vodka/Vanilla steeping in my pantry, so I guess it doesn't matter.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #1539 on: January 31, 2024, 02:31:06 PM »
3.5 liters of vanilla extract!?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1540 on: January 31, 2024, 05:49:54 PM »

It's an expensive way to hide your alcoholism.  :P

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1541 on: January 31, 2024, 07:08:43 PM »

Or have home-made Christmas presents that are really appreciated.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1542 on: February 02, 2024, 10:44:55 AM »

Or have home-made Christmas presents that are really appreciated.
Bingo! We don't really drink, so it mostly gets used for baked goods and gifts. The longer it steeps, the better it gets.

K_in_the_kitchen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1543 on: February 02, 2024, 01:19:45 PM »
Oh, it’s fun to see this thread again!  So much has changed for us since the beginning of the pandemic.  Two kids went away to university in 2021, one came home a semester later and is now in their senior year at the local land grant university, the other graduated last May and is also back home.  We’ve added another young adult to the household, which means I feed five adults now.  We added a puppy (now nearly an adult dog) and lost our senior dog.

One big change is a return to whole food plant based eating for myself, my husband, and my oldest.  The other two young adults eat what I cook, but are also working through the rest of the meat/fish/cheese in the house (I would have had us transition more slowly to not waste those foods, but I didn’t have to since the other two are happy to eat them, knowing that animal proteins will have to come from their own budgets in the future).

I’m doing the February pantry challenge (happening in Throw Down the Gauntlet) in part to help me figure out what we are cooking and eating regularly now, so I can have a stocked pantry but with foods that we’ll eat and rotate through without it being extra work.

@Roadrunner53 Thanks for the heads up on olive oil!  I do wish I had a cool place to store it — I’m going to keep an eye out for a wine fridge in my Buy Nothing group.   I’m halfway through my final bottle of early pandemic vanilla extract.  I’ve noticed the prices have gone back up a little.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!