Author Topic: Pandemic hoarding  (Read 262156 times)

oldladystache

• Pencil Stache
Re: Pandemic hoarding
« Reply #100 on: July 23, 2020, 12:42:54 PM »
By the way, have any of you tried buying cans or jarred products at Walmart online? That is a disaster. They will throw glass jars of spaghetti sauce in the bottom of the box. No packaging materials, no dividers, no cardboard/bubble wrap to protect the jars. Just all tossed in the bottom and shipped. I have received quite a few shipments of jars broken, lids popped off and a box full of sauce. I do not understand why they do this. I have called repeatedly to get refunds, complained of the condition of the broken jars, etc. They always say they will report it. They just don't care! The cans come extremely dented like they went thru a war zone. GRRRRR!!!
I have had the same experience. Mostly dented cans. How hard can it be to pack things properly?

K_in_the_kitchen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #101 on: July 23, 2020, 12:46:30 PM »
Same here.  I did stockpile Tillamook cheese when I finally went to Costco in mid-May after not having been since early March, but that's because most other cheddar cheeses are disappointing.

You should try the Kerrygold (from Costco).

Our Costco has Kerrygold butter, but doesn't often have Kerrygold cheese other than the Dubliner.  We used to splurge on that occasionally.

K_in_the_kitchen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #102 on: July 23, 2020, 01:11:44 PM »
I am stocked up to the moon here but I just found out that I am out of a certain soup that I like. I am like, OMG, how did that happen! I actually ran out of something! So now I have to stock up on that. By the way, have any of you tried buying cans or jarred products at Walmart online? That is a disaster. They will throw glass jars of spaghetti sauce in the bottom of the box. No packaging materials, no dividers, no cardboard/bubble wrap to protect the jars. Just all tossed in the bottom and shipped. I have received quite a few shipments of jars broken, lids popped off and a box full of sauce. I do not understand why they do this. I have called repeatedly to get refunds, complained of the condition of the broken jars, etc. They always say they will report it. They just don't care! The cans come extremely dented like they went thru a war zone. GRRRRR!!!

I learned my lesson in April -- Target does the same thing.  Everything arrived dented, no packing materials are used, and one huge box was easily 50# with everything jumbled together and much of it destroyed.  This was when there was no way I would go to the store for a refund.  Costco does better with their 2 day grocery program, but it's still not perfect.

slappy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #103 on: July 23, 2020, 01:16:54 PM »
I haven't had much issue with ordering stuff online. I order from Sams all the time and I don't have dents, broken stuff, etc. We had four jars of spaghetti sauce come from walmart with no issues.

the_fixer

• Handlebar Stache
  • mind on my money money on my mind
« Reply #104 on: July 23, 2020, 01:17:36 PM »
I have been doing curbside with Walmart and have zero issues maybe try curbside?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buffaloski Boris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #105 on: July 23, 2020, 08:18:41 PM »

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #106 on: July 24, 2020, 06:46:29 AM »
The Walmart in my town is small and not a super Walmart and does not offer curbside service. Most of the grocery stores in my area do not offer it either. The one store that does is a small family store and prices are sky high.

the_fixer

• Handlebar Stache
  • mind on my money money on my mind
« Reply #107 on: July 24, 2020, 06:59:03 AM »
That’s a bummer, pretty much all of the stores including bike shops are doing curbside.

First time during this pandemic that I am glad to be in a city instead of being jelly of my cousin that moved totally off grid up in the mountains a year ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #108 on: July 24, 2020, 09:08:04 AM »
I order a lot from Peapod which is a grocery delivery service. They just delivered today. The trouble with them is that sale items are hard to come by. They have sale items but not much stuff. Then, before delivery you get the invoice and then it will tell you what is out of stock in  your order. So you don't know what is out of stock so you can choose something else. It stinks in some ways.

So, I ordered some sauce from Amazon. It said it was a case of 12 jars. I have been having so much bad luck with Walmart and broken jars I thought maybe buying a case from Amazon would be better and it would be in the manufacturer's cardboard box. The box arrived 3 days ago and it was from Walmart! The Amazon person drop shipped it from Walmart! Guess what? They threw all 12 jars in the bottom of the box, no packing materials at all. The jars were not wrapped in paper, bubble...nothing! The box was also too big and with no packaging materials, the glass jars had a bumpy ride. The Hub opened up the box that was dripping all over the driveway and ants were crawling al over it! Most of the jars were broken and the others lids had popped off. The whole box was filled with glass and sauce. Seriously, I would think a 6 years old kid would know better that the stuff would break if it had no packaging materials. I contacted the Amazon person and they begrudgingly said they would refund my money. GRRRRR!!!

coppertop

• Bristles
« Reply #109 on: July 24, 2020, 09:25:56 AM »
We are vegetarian, and right after things began shutting down here (just before St. Patrick's Day), our staple foods totally disappeared from store shelves.  Rice, pasta, tomato products, dried and canned beans, oatmeal, etc. People even reported difficulty in finding tofu.  I said never again, so now I do have a fully stocked pantry, which I inventory, and expect will last me a few months.  Funny how everyone is keto or low carb and telling us we are killing ourselves by eating starches, but when the panic button hits, they have to have cupboards full of pasta and rice.  The two Aldi stores near me are still low or totally out of tomato products, chickpeas are not to be found, and are limiting facial tissue to one box at a time. 

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #110 on: July 24, 2020, 09:50:21 AM »
I order a lot from Peapod which is a grocery delivery service. They just delivered today. The trouble with them is that sale items are hard to come by. They have sale items but not much stuff. Then, before delivery you get the invoice and then it will tell you what is out of stock in  your order. So you don't know what is out of stock so you can choose something else. It stinks in some ways.

So, I ordered some sauce from Amazon. It said it was a case of 12 jars. I have been having so much bad luck with Walmart and broken jars I thought maybe buying a case from Amazon would be better and it would be in the manufacturer's cardboard box. The box arrived 3 days ago and it was from Walmart! The Amazon person drop shipped it from Walmart! Guess what? They threw all 12 jars in the bottom of the box, no packing materials at all. The jars were not wrapped in paper, bubble...nothing! The box was also too big and with no packaging materials, the glass jars had a bumpy ride. The Hub opened up the box that was dripping all over the driveway and ants were crawling al over it! Most of the jars were broken and the others lids had popped off. The whole box was filled with glass and sauce. Seriously, I would think a 6 years old kid would know better that the stuff would break if it had no packaging materials. I contacted the Amazon person and they begrudgingly said they would refund my money. GRRRRR!!!
That is just maddening.  OMG.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #111 on: July 24, 2020, 10:05:33 AM »
We are vegetarian, and right after things began shutting down here (just before St. Patrick's Day), our staple foods totally disappeared from store shelves.  Rice, pasta, tomato products, dried and canned beans, oatmeal, etc. People even reported difficulty in finding tofu.  I said never again, so now I do have a fully stocked pantry, which I inventory, and expect will last me a few months.  Funny how everyone is keto or low carb and telling us we are killing ourselves by eating starches, but when the panic button hits, they have to have cupboards full of pasta and rice.  The two Aldi stores near me are still low or totally out of tomato products, chickpeas are not to be found, and are limiting facial tissue to one box at a time.

Lots of chickpeas thru Walmart: https://www.walmart.com/search/?query=chickpeas

Warning, if you buy cans, expect them to be dented upon arrival. If you spend $35 you get free shipping. Easy enough to do!

reformed spendthrift

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #112 on: July 24, 2020, 10:06:08 AM »
If you live in the midwest, having lots of soup is pretty normal. I can't tell you the amount of cream of chicken I use for various recipes. Back in the 70's it was all about cream of mushroom. I try to cook healthier now but some of my old school recipes call for a lot of canned items.

kanga1622

• Bristles
« Reply #113 on: July 24, 2020, 11:55:36 AM »
Honestly, if I felt safe going to Costco right now, we'd probably have a lot more stockpiled. :)

If it eases your mind, Costco has been one of my safest and easiest shopping experiences since this began. They imposed a strict mask requirement at all stores back in April. It's worth a try if you can go at an off hour (I like weekday mornings).

I wish! Unfortunately we tagged along with my in-laws 1-2 times a year and picked up just a few items. But the store is 65 miles away in a city with a much higher COVID rate than my own locale. So we are hunkering down at home and avoiding the "city" as much as possible. As this is the only Costco store within about 150+ miles, it is a busy place pretty much all the time. We were just about to get our own membership now that we knew what they carried but we put the brakes on this idea now.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 11:59:04 AM by kanga1622 »

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #114 on: July 24, 2020, 12:07:09 PM »
Honestly, if I felt safe going to Costco right now, we'd probably have a lot more stockpiled. :)

If it eases your mind, Costco has been one of my safest and easiest shopping experiences since this began. They imposed a strict mask requirement at all stores back in April. It's worth a try if you can go at an off hour (I like weekday mornings).

I wish! Unfortunately we tagged along with my in-laws 1-2 times a year and picked up just a few items. But the store is 65 miles away in a city with a much higher COVID rate than my own locale. So we are hunkering down at home and avoiding the "city" as much as possible. As this is the only Costco store within about 150+ miles, it is a busy place pretty much all the time. We were just about to get our own membership now that we knew what they carried but we put the brakes on this idea now.

You could still get the membership and shop Costco on line. You will not be able to buy everything you see in the store but you will find a wide range of things. They have meat, fish, they will ship it frozen too. Since the virus, they have had less to offer but slowly they are getting in more stock. I order from them a lot.

birdie55

• Stubble
« Reply #115 on: July 24, 2020, 12:13:34 PM »
Some Costco stores have delivery, same day or soon.  Check someday.costco.com to see if your local Costco has local delivery.  Instacart does the delivery.   The prices are a little higher than in the store, but I find it worth it to pay extra to get the Costco items I am used to buying.  Delivered to my front porch.

MissPeach

• Bristles
« Reply #116 on: July 24, 2020, 12:56:57 PM »
We're not hoarding but with the long line to get in stores around here (about 45 minutes on average) I stopped going to as many stores to save my time and sanity. I used to go to 2 stores weekly and another one or two monthly. Now I rotate the two weekly ones to every other week and go less to the monthly ones. This means I'm buying 2-3 weeks worth of food instead of one. Sadly this means I also have to drive to the store when before I walked and carried things home.

Master of None

• Bristles
« Reply #117 on: July 24, 2020, 01:09:39 PM »
Just got an email from Sam's Club that they are having a promotion from 7/24-8/23 to get 5% back on all purchases in club or online if you make the purchase with your Sam's Club Mastercard. We have been planning on stocking up a staples and this seems like the perfect time to get a bit more cash back in the process. I'll be loading up on flour, rice, cereal, pasta noodles, and some meat. Probably will join the hordes in grabbing plenty of TP and paper towels.

slappy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #118 on: July 24, 2020, 01:40:52 PM »
Just got an email from Sam's Club that they are having a promotion from 7/24-8/23 to get 5% back on all purchases in club or online if you make the purchase with your Sam's Club Mastercard. We have been planning on stocking up a staples and this seems like the perfect time to get a bit more cash back in the process. I'll be loading up on flour, rice, cereal, pasta noodles, and some meat. Probably will join the hordes in grabbing plenty of TP and paper towels.

Of course, because I just stocked up at sams last weekend.

K_in_the_kitchen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #119 on: July 24, 2020, 01:59:06 PM »

We stayed away from Costco from early March through mid-May, but continued to order online using the "2 Day Grocery" program, which of course wasn't only 2 days because of demand.  The prices are higher than in store (to cover picking and packing), but we didn't want to risk going in store and the prices were acceptable compared to non-Costco prices.  Overall they did a decent job of packing things, although the peanut cans did end up dented.

I think Sam's Club also does delivery of non-perishable food.

Last night I mentioned to DH that we were more cautious early on when our county had far fewer cases, and I think it's time we go back to acting how we did the first couple of months.  Unfortunately, our young adult sons went back to work (essential business but they were allowed leave of absence at first), so there's no way to be as careful as we were before.  I do need to make one more in person Costco trip because one OTC med my kid takes has to be gotten from the pharmacist and can't be ordered online at all.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #120 on: July 25, 2020, 11:53:35 AM »
I've seen increased talk about a 2nd big lockdown.  I'm thinking about picking up a little extra stuff on the next trip to the supermarket on the non-parishables.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #121 on: July 25, 2020, 12:21:23 PM »
Does anyone know where you can order cases of canned items? Like 28 oz cans of tomatoes or green beans, corn in cans that actually come packed in the original case from the factory?

birdie55

• Stubble
« Reply #122 on: July 25, 2020, 12:31:34 PM »
I ordered some canned tomatoes through Walmart.com.  Vitacost has canned foods and you can always look on Amazon.com too.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #123 on: July 25, 2020, 12:45:32 PM »
I have had too many dented cans from Walmart and broken jars. I am looking for a place that ships the stuff in original cases, not just chucked into the bottom of a box like Walmart does.

birdie55

• Stubble
« Reply #124 on: July 25, 2020, 01:06:41 PM »
I ordered a case of 12 cans of tomatoes from Walmart and they came intact in the original case.  Cardboard bottom and plastic shrink wrapped.  It was the only time I ordered canned goods from Walmart and they came intact. no dents. 

SotI

• Bristles
« Reply #125 on: July 25, 2020, 02:05:40 PM »
I stocked up beyond our regular prep level in late Feb - early March.
We've bern good since, just replenishing when we run low (i.e. 50% of planned items).
Otherwise, I just add fresh produce every two weeks or so.

I may opportunistically buy discounted or special offers in bulk, though.
Worst case, we would be good for a couple of months without external supplies.
That's not Corona-related, though. We generally plan for some emergencies and like to be as self-sufficient as possible.

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #126 on: July 25, 2020, 04:09:24 PM »
One thing I've definitely noticed myself stocking up on is shelf stable food for a Little Free Pantry that I oversee. We have about 10 families who regularly stock it, but it is running out almost as fast as we can fill it these days.

But basically when food goes on sale for about a dollar (or less) a unit I stock up. This week I bought lots of cereal, granola bars, spaghetti, canned sauce, canned fruit, peanut butter, microwave rice & beans, and tuna pouches.  (I got 5 boxes of cheerios for $1.29, pasta was .69 so it evened out.)

So I spent an extra $50 on those items this week. I restocked the pantry last night and it was empty this morning. People are really hurting right now.

FWIW- because someone always asks this: we actually have our pantry near a security camera and people do not wipe out the pantry. People are really good about taking a few things and leaving the rest for others. 

SavinMaven

• Stubble
« Reply #127 on: July 25, 2020, 08:56:09 PM »
FWIW- because someone always asks this: we actually have our pantry near a security camera and people do not wipe out the pantry. People are really good about taking a few things and leaving the rest for others.

Is the security camera visible? To what do you attribute the camaraderie you've seen?

I ask because we tried a free pantry in our town in March, and while 99% of people who came only took a few items, once every day or two we would have someone clear it out (some consecutive days, it was the same couple, taking even the plastic tubs items were displayed in) and eventually those stocking it gave up. Would love to find out what makes this successful so we could try to get it going again.

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #128 on: July 26, 2020, 12:35:08 PM »

Is the security camera visible? To what do you attribute the camaraderie you've seen?

I ask because we tried a free pantry in our town in March, and while 99% of people who came only took a few items, once every day or two we would have someone clear it out (some consecutive days, it was the same couple, taking even the plastic tubs items were displayed in) and eventually those stocking it gave up. Would love to find out what makes this successful so we could try to get it going again.

Security cam is visible and it is located at a church and the priest's house is VERY close by.

We also have a couple of signs on it that say something like "if you need extra food help please contact X phone number", and another that posts the regular (three times a week) food pantry hours that is within walking distance of the little free pantry.

I did take a call the other day from a woman who missed the food pantry hours and didn't want to clean out the pantry. I met her at the pantry and brought her some extra groceries. It worked nicely - but also - people are really good at not taking advantage of it. I only meet someone to bring them extra food about once a month.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #129 on: July 31, 2020, 07:21:43 AM »
We just got a second fridge, and we already have a chest freezer. It sounds a little extreme, but with all these teens and teen-sized tweens around, the food goes pretty fast. My husband's family (3 boys) had three fridges when he was growing up. 

3 gallons of milk usually last us only a week, so the new fridge should help us stay at home for two weeks at a time as needed.

kanga1622

• Bristles
« Reply #130 on: July 31, 2020, 12:02:45 PM »
We just got a second fridge, and we already have a chest freezer. It sounds a little extreme, but with all these teens and teen-sized tweens around, the food goes pretty fast. My husband's family (3 boys) had three fridges when he was growing up. 

3 gallons of milk usually last us only a week, so the new fridge should help us stay at home for two weeks at a time as needed.

We have a dorm fridge in the basement next to our upright freezer. That extra space is CRITICAL in keeping an extra gallon of milk, lunchmeat, OJ, and yogurt on hand. It is the only way we can stretch grocery shopping to two week rotations. And we only have 1 kid in the house that drinks milk! Even though it is a small fridge, it is just enough to restock those high traffic items that don't necessarily freeze as well.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #131 on: July 31, 2020, 01:03:15 PM »
It is just the Hub and I and we have a big upright freezer and a refrigerator with a freezer in the basement. Everything is full and I have been thinking about buying another freezer. I like to buy turkey breast, ham and prime rib when it goes on sale so we have it for the year. I also have some garden produce I need room for.

I have looked for an upright freezer thru various stores and for some reason I can't get one to my zipcode. Constantly out of stock. Is everyone hoarding up on freezers too?

Christof

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #132 on: July 31, 2020, 01:07:51 PM »
I have looked for an upright freezer thru various stores and for some reason I can't get one to my zipcode. Constantly out of stock. Is everyone hoarding up on freezers too?

Isn‘t storage in the cloud aka craigslist a thing in the US anymore?

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #133 on: July 31, 2020, 01:08:53 PM »
I probably look a little bit hoardish right now... but it's all due to the pandemic. I didn't "stock up" when the shit hit the fan, and we had to go without a lot of basics (canned tomatoes and beans) that we eat a lot of.

I put in several online orders from various e-tailers (eg costco, etc) with overlapping items because often they wouldn't arrive. Sometimes I would get the things I wanted and sometimes I wouldn't. I think I have enough all purpose flour right now to last through the end of the year because at one point I got 3 orders to go through, each had all purpose flour in them. That's ok- it'll keep. I'd rather have "too much" than "not enough". We also got down to literally our last roll of TP in April... you bet I got a bunch from Costco as soon as they had it in stock!! Again, the alternative... not so pleasant.

Easy enough to keep and use up over time. "Hoarding" has a connotation that implies there is something unreasonable or unneeded about the stock pile. Right now I'm finding it perfectly acceptable (and preferable) to have one.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #134 on: July 31, 2020, 02:02:18 PM »

Yes, have been looking at Craigs List too and the only one I found was about 9 years old and way over priced. I even looked for restaurant commercial type freezers on CL but nothing used that was affordable.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #135 on: July 31, 2020, 02:56:47 PM »

Yes, have been looking at Craigs List too and the only one I found was about 9 years old and way over priced. I even looked for restaurant commercial type freezers on CL but nothing used that was affordable.

This. Yeah, for those outside of the US, we’ve had shortages on various things since March. Freezers and bicycles in a reasonable price range are difficult to find right now, new or used.

MicroRN

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #136 on: August 01, 2020, 08:54:23 AM »
I normally keep a large stockpile of food and buy in bulk so I can't say my routine has changed much.  We have 2 deep freezers. We buy pork & beef by the half animal, and raise and butcher our own chickens.  I regularly buy large amounts of in-season produce to can or freeze.  I just bought 15lbs of locally grown jalapenos to turn into candied jalapeno slices & jalapeno jelly.  I buy basics like rice, flour, sugar, and rolled oats in huge bags and store them in buckets.  I keep powdered milk/butter on hand for baking.  We have our own chickens, so when eggs disappeared from the store we were fine and I had enough to share with people.  Dried beans are a staple in our house & used at least once a week, so I usually have several pounds each of multiple varieties on hand.  We did run a bit low on toilet paper, but I did cloth diapers, so I'm not afraid to use rags as a backup.  I usually stay ahead on things like toiletries and pet food, because I hate having to make unexpected shopping trips for just a couple items.   

I do it for 2 reasons - 1) because it's cheaper to do it that way, if you can afford the initial outlay and 2) I like having everything on hand to cook without having to run out to the store for something.

My line between hoarding vs stockpiling is - will you actually USE what you have stored?  Are you regularly working through & rotating your stocks?  Panic buying is not the same as a considered stockpile.     

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #137 on: August 01, 2020, 08:54:13 PM »
^--- I resemble this, although not so much. We buy 1/2 steer each year in the fall (although this year they sold out before we got an order in, alas!), and went into the pandemic with 35 lbs of flour, 20 lbs of oats )(I make our granola), maybe 1-2 dozen pounds of various beans, and 10 lbs of sugar.  However, because we moved to making a lot more of our own bread and pasta (and more regular baking of yummy baked things) we ran through our supply pretty quickly. We have two active adults and two teenaged boys/young men.

I think I just fully re-stocked for at least the second time, perhaps the third: I bought another 10 lbs sugar, 30 lbs flour (20 lbs AP, 10 lbs ww), 20 lbs oats, 15 or so lbs various beans, 4 or 5 kinds of hot sauces in various configurations (chipotles in adobo sauce are very popular around here). But as @MicroRN pointed out, it's really pre-buying: we'll use all this stuff (in fact, probably in the next 6-8 weeks).

And, indeed, the biggest pain of the whole shopping experience was having to take everything out of the pantry so the new stuff could go on the bottom/in the back so the older supply gets used first. FIFO, yo.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #138 on: August 01, 2020, 09:33:47 PM »

This made me laugh!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #139 on: August 02, 2020, 05:55:27 PM »
I'm managing my anxiety about a fall second wave by preserving my vegetable harvest. Seeing my shelves and freezer fill up again is soothing. I think that the satisfaction is more from the ability to exercise control over a fear of going without, as opposed to a belief that there'll be a shortage of cabbage in the next year.

Breaking News - The prayers of millions of children have been answered this year by the ongoing cabbage shortage.  Children say they're setting their sights on Lima beans next.

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #140 on: August 02, 2020, 10:52:07 PM »
Jeninco, I don’t know how big your pantry is, but mine is 2 feet deep.  I store everything in lines from front to back and in the same categories, eg, all soups in a line, all beans in a line, etc.  If there’s not enough of a category to make a full line, I leave a break and continue with another category.  When I remove an item, I reach to the back (there’s enough height to get my arm in), then push the rest of the line back, making room at the front for new items.  As long as everyone keeps to the system, it’s really easy.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #141 on: August 03, 2020, 12:14:22 AM »
I'm managing my anxiety about a fall second wave by preserving my vegetable harvest. Seeing my shelves and freezer fill up again is soothing. I think that the satisfaction is more from the ability to exercise control over a fear of going without, as opposed to a belief that there'll be a shortage of cabbage in the next year.

Breaking News - The prayers of millions of children have been answered this year by the ongoing cabbage shortage.  Children say they're setting their sights on Lima beans next.
Sufferin' succotash!

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #142 on: August 03, 2020, 06:57:13 AM »
I am guilty of having beans in the back of my cupboard. However, with the exception of split green peas, I never know how to prepare beans. I know how to make chili with kidney beans (canned). For some reason I had to have these Christmas lima beans. I had a recipe at the time and I guess I made it and it was ho hum. I was gung ho when I bought them and probably have 5 lbs. of them. I think people would eat beans if they knew how to cook them!

I was not brought up in a household that made bean recipes except chili.

My grandparents lived in Kentucky and they always had soup beans, whatever that is! I have never had them, don't know how to cook them either! I was told my grandpa would demand his beans every single day! By the way, he lived to be 113 years old! Maybe there is something to the beans! Grandma lived to age 91!

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #143 on: August 03, 2020, 07:13:56 AM »
My grandparents lived in Kentucky and they always had soup beans, whatever that is! I have never had them, don't know how to cook them either! I was told my grandpa would demand his beans every single day! By the way, he lived to be 113 years old! Maybe there is something to the beans! Grandma lived to age 91!
I had to google it and I would definitely eat soup beans. Sounds sooo good. Looks like pinto beans are the tradtional bean but it can also be made with lima/butter beans. This salad is also really good. 

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #144 on: August 03, 2020, 07:28:18 AM »
I am guilty of having beans in the back of my cupboard. However, with the exception of split green peas, I never know how to prepare beans. I know how to make chili with kidney beans (canned). For some reason I had to have these Christmas lima beans. I had a recipe at the time and I guess I made it and it was ho hum. I was gung ho when I bought them and probably have 5 lbs. of them. I think people would eat beans if they knew how to cook them!

I was not brought up in a household that made bean recipes except chili.

I grew up in Indiana (with a Grandma from Kentucky) and we call soup beans "Ham and Beans" and it is legitimately one of my top two comfort foods. We eat it at least once a month starting in the fall.

The recipe I grew up with is the same as the soup beans recipe that Moonwaves linked to except we tend to make ours with white beans instead of pinto beans. When we're feeling fancy we mix in a dab of molasses or brown sugar, a hit of hot sauce and a dash or two of cider vinegar (just to brighten up the flavor). We eat ours with cornbread crumbled in. Heaven!

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #145 on: August 03, 2020, 07:42:09 AM »
Salad looks good!

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #146 on: August 03, 2020, 07:52:40 AM »
I had to google it and I would definitely eat soup beans. Sounds sooo good. Looks like pinto beans are the tradtional bean but it can also be made with lima/butter beans. This salad is also really good.

We do a version of soup beans regularly. I like some sort of pork, onions, garlic, pepper, cumin, and chili powder in it. We eat ours over rice or with corn tortillas/chips with cheese and salsa.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #147 on: August 03, 2020, 08:24:00 AM »

Sufferin' succotash!

LOL

I had a brief moment of feeling normal this spring when there was a shortage of dried beans.  I felt as though the rest of the world was finally coming around to seeing the value in the little nuggets of shelf-stable, high protein, high fibre delights. While some people stockpile gold, I prefer my treasure to be edible.

I do worry that those beautiful little marvels will now go neglected and unappreciated in the back of the cupboards of people who won't actually eat them though. I worry about the strangest things.

Worst case scenario they can always end up as new bean bag chairs.

Captain Cactus

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #148 on: August 03, 2020, 09:52:40 AM »
I'm still slowly stockpiling extra food.  A small part of me does fear things getting really bad this fall, to the point that the shelves will be bare or we won't want to go to the grocery store. 

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #149 on: August 03, 2020, 10:21:00 AM »
Captain Cactus, I am doing the same thing. I am not buying hundreds of cans of things but 6 here and there. I just bought some rice (10 one pound bags) and we are not big rice eaters. I buy it, put in some bay leaves to help keep bugs out and then vac seal them. I have bought different pasta's, canned tomato products. Some extra meat and froze it. And yes, paper towels, toilet paper and kleenex.

I am also worried about the fall with the Corona Virus and the flu season.