Author Topic: Pandemic hoarding  (Read 262806 times)

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Pandemic hoarding
« Reply #800 on: March 28, 2021, 12:20:30 PM »
The news is hinting that I should be hoarding stuff because of price increases due to the ship stuck in the panama canal.  I don't really have any knowledge about this.  Is this another thing I need to worry about?

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #801 on: March 28, 2021, 02:53:20 PM »
For me, I am changing nothing in my 'warehouse' of food and supplies. Covid is spiking in some states (mine is one) and the ship stuck in the Suez Canal is preventing needed supplies world wide. There are animals on the other ships that will probably die and could have been part of some countries food supply.  They are hoping the ship will become dislodged by sometime tomorrow but if not, they are saying the supply chain will be disrupted globally if they can't get it out by then. On top of that, if the ship doesn't dislodge, they are also planning to unload the cargo and the uneven ship weight might cause the ship to contort and possibly split. They are also talking about pulling it with 13 tug boats and who knows if the ship might pull apart. If any of that should happen and the ship falls apart, just think how long it will be to clean up that mess so the other ships can finally pass by. If they do unload the ship, it will take some time because they are planning to use helicopters! According to what I read, there are 20,000 storage containers on the ship! They probably won't unload all of it but they want to lighten the load. What a mess that is!

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #802 on: March 28, 2021, 04:09:31 PM »
I'm eating down the meat in my freezer and replacing it with newer.  Eating down the frozen vegetables and not replacing them, because they are from last year's garden and will be replenished from this year's garden.

I'm not doing extra TP stocking up from this thread because last spring I swore I would never let my supply get low again.  Instead of replacing when I  open a package, I am replacing when I open a package and have 1 in reserve.
But how many rolls are in that package? Are we talking 4-packs or warehouse size packages?

Depends.  12 packs, 18 packs, 24 packs, depending on stock and price.  I'm doing curbside pickup and online ordering which adds a bit of uncertainty.  Last shop I ordered a bag of red onions and a bag of yellow onions and they were out of yellow onions.  But they had fresh tarragon.  Since I  can never be sure I am not waiting until I am really low on anything before I order a replacement.  Since I am also going 2-3 weeks between orders I do need to plan ahead.

K_in_the_kitchen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #803 on: March 28, 2021, 05:58:38 PM »
I stepped inside Target for the first time in a while today. They actually have two aisles dedicated to toilet paper. Even though I shop for groceries in person every week, I wasn't prepared for the Target crowd, with everyone jammed into the check-out lanes as if no pandemic had occurred.

I've never really calculated how much toilet paper I use in a year, but I live alone and I have 19 rolls, so I should be set for a while.

During the pandemic I started ordering online from Target, and now I think I'll be happy to never to back into the store ever.

K_in_the_kitchen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #804 on: March 28, 2021, 06:09:08 PM »
The news is hinting that I should be hoarding stuff because of price increases due to the ship stuck in the panama canal.  I don't really have any knowledge about this.  Is this another thing I need to worry about?
I find it hard to figure out.  We happened to buy two bags of coffee beans at Costco because my kid wanted to try a new one they had.

I know some preppers are talking about skyrocketing food prices -- I hate paying more and more for food.  But I realized that short of stocking up perhaps a year of food, the prices are going to get me at some point, and I don't want to store that much food!  So we'll find other ways to economize on food.

I think of it kind of like how manufacturers decrease product size to keep the price the same.  Over the years I economize more and more to keep spending level.  I know we can reduce our electric usage if I nag the boys more and have the youngest set up a power strip with his new super powerful gaming computer to cut vampire energy loss.  This winter I've brought down our natural gas usage -- I practiced being comfortable in a cooler temperature and it worked.  When it comes to food in 2021, I'll cut the creep in spending on treats and comfort foods due to Covid-19.

begood

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #805 on: March 29, 2021, 06:48:34 AM »
Okay fellow stocker uppers, we may be in for a new toilet paper shortage: https://nypost.com/2021/03/26/suez-canal-crisis-may-unleash-worldwide-toilet-paper-shortage/

You know this article is going to send people to the stores in droves and the toilet paper supply will be depleted in no time!
Blech. I'm literally just working down the last few rolls of pandemic TP, but this was enough to get me to order cat food earlier than I normally would. I can suffer, they can't! :-)

I did place a Costco order for tomorrow after reading that. I still have one full pack and several tissue boxes in my stash, but I'd really hoped never to have to worry about buying toilet paper again. SIGH.

My cat (rescue, clear history of trauma but truly the best company during the pandemic I could have asked for) has the most delicate gut ever. BUT what she tolerates the best is plain old Meow Mix Original Choice. I just got a 16 lb bag from Chewy, so with any luck that will get us through any potential shortages.

I call the stocking up on things "postponing my discomfort". The only thing I overbought last spring was oats from Costco. I still have 10 lbs of them. My kid moved into an apartment and the household oats consumption dropped precipitously!

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #806 on: March 29, 2021, 11:00:06 AM »

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #807 on: March 29, 2021, 12:36:20 PM »
Don't run your pantries down just yet: https://nypost.com/2021/03/29/cdc-director-dr-rochelle-walensky-warns-of-impending-doom/

Next to Israel, the US is the country in the world with the most vaccine distributed.  If the US is headed for doom, that doesn't bode well for anybody.  Did she mention why she's feeling that impending doom is coming?  I had been tentatively optimistic about the US situation.

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #808 on: March 29, 2021, 02:22:20 PM »
Well, the ship is unstuck, so that’s something.

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #809 on: March 29, 2021, 04:44:46 PM »
A bittersweet close to this great chapter. Not since Boaty McBoatface has the world been so united in their fascination with seagoing vessels.

stoaX

• Handlebar Stache
  • 'tis nothing good nor bad but thinking makes it so
« Reply #810 on: March 31, 2021, 05:55:07 AM »
Don't run your pantries down just yet: https://nypost.com/2021/03/29/cdc-director-dr-rochelle-walensky-warns-of-impending-doom/

Next to Israel, the US is the country in the world with the most vaccine distributed.  If the US is headed for doom, that doesn't bode well for anybody.  Did she mention why she's feeling that impending doom is coming?  I had been tentatively optimistic about the US situation.

I couldn't find any reason why she said this either.  And then the next day she was more optimistic saying:

"The director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in a new interview celebrated data suggesting that those who have been vaccinated against COVID-19 largely "do not carry the virus."

CDC director Dr. Rochelle Walensky told MSNBC's Rachel Maddow on Monday that "our data from the CDC today suggests that vaccinated people do not carry the virus" or get sick."

K_in_the_kitchen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #811 on: April 06, 2021, 12:48:15 PM »
I went through the toiletries/medications cupboard I set up at the beginning of the pandemic, and learned some things about what I purchased:

1) DH and I go through far more toothpaste than our young adult sons -- time for a reminder to them to actually use toothpaste when they brush.  Their tubes of toothpaste are bigger than ours, but one son made his tube last a full year and the other son has stretched past that.
2) We didn't use any cold medicine or cough syrup -- luckily the best by dates are in spring 2022.
3) I couldn't get hand sanitizer for months.  When I finally did I bought two (1) gallon bottles plus some smaller bottles.  But the way we isolated we really didn't need hand sanitizer that often.  Expiration dates are mostly far out.  I expect we'll use it more once we're all fully vaccinated and start venturing out more.
4) We did, however, use quite a bit of hand soap.  I was able to buy some right before everything shut down, when hand sanitizer was out of stock but Target brand liquid soap wasn't.  We also went through almost all of the Mrs. Meyers hand soap we had on hand (several bottles of various seasonal scents).  We're down to our last two Target refill bottles and two bottles of Mrs. Meyer's Oregon Pine that I'll set aside for next winter.
5) All three guys have clearly cut back on taking their vitamins.
6) I use a lot of dental floss, and I'm not sorry about it.
7) For not having had any illnesses that required medications, we go through a lot of facial tissues!  I suppose it's due to allergies.  I tried out Aldi brand tissues right before the pandemic and have been completely happy with them.
8) I can't trust the guys when they say we need antiperspirant.  I bought a new box of 6 from Costco because they assured me there were zero in the cupboard, only to find we still had 5!
9) We didn't touch the contact lens cleaning solutions -- the two who were still wearing contacts at the beginning of the pandemic each got a pair of prescription riding sunglasses and stopped wearing contacts.  I'm glad I didn't stock up.

As for cleaning supplies, I didn't stock up other than to buy laundry detergent and dishwasher tablets when they were on sale, I think back in October or November before we hunkered down and stopped going to stores again.  That wasn't pandemic behavior -- I typically will buy those items and the big jug of Dawn when they go on sale.  I did buy a couple of bottles of bleach and we still have plenty.  I should have bought more Barkeeper's Friend, as it's been hard to find, but as a plus DH went through some Ajax we'd bought pre-pandemic when we couldn't find BKF.  I also learned I should keep drain opener on hand.  And we got lucky that the guys had a box of toilet cleaner squirreled away somewhere in the back bathroom or closet, because I couldn't buy any at the start of the pandemic and yet we still haven't run out -- we're low on it though.

As for groceries, I wish I'd known that there would be an aluminum can shortage and that it would be impossible to find caffeine free Coke (not diet).  I totally would have hoarded it!

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #812 on: April 06, 2021, 04:59:54 PM »
K_in_the_kitchen,

You are really on top of things!

I have found out that soda doesn't last much past the expiration date. I always buy diet cola and used to only buy Cocoa Cola or Pepsi when on sale but I then resorted to buying store brand diet cola. Sometimes I buy 5 or 6 twelve packs to stock up. I have noticed really weird flavors at times and sure enough, if they are expired or close to expiration, the flavor goes off. It might be the diet soda only. That is all I buy, buy YUCK! My hub is really good now. He will stack the expiration dates earliest expiration date first and so forth so hopefully, we can drink them before they go bad! This last curbside pickup I did they substituted Cocoa Cola because they ran out of store brand at the store brand price. Win, win for me!

My stockpile remains consistant. I have to stop buying stuff though! My recent curbside I ordered 2 whole chickens that were on sale for $0.99 a lb. I got two chickens. They were not huge and maybe 4.5 lbs each. Rather than freeze one, we cooked up both. The Hub spatchcocked them both. OMG, so delicious and so moist. There were a lot of bones and skin so it wasn't a ton of meat.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #813 on: April 07, 2021, 03:00:13 AM »
What worries me now with this pandemic is that each state is doing their own thing which they have all along but seems so many states want to get back to normal quickly without waiting to see what is going to happen. Some are opening school, theaters, restaurants all at the same time instead of slowly allowing this to happen. Then we have the spring breakers who will or have returned to their own states and who knows what they will bring with them. We just had the Easter holiday and soon it will be Memorial day and the summer holidays, people traveling. One of the airlines is opening up the dreaded middle seats so people will be sitting closer to each other. UGH! I pray Covid and its varient friends go away but only time will tell. I also want to go back to normal but it might be worth doing baby steps till we get there.

stoaX

• Handlebar Stache
  • 'tis nothing good nor bad but thinking makes it so
« Reply #814 on: April 07, 2021, 05:44:39 AM »
I haven't read up on why the CDC predicted doom, but my guess would be the spread of the more contagious variants has epidemiologists worried. In Canada several of the provinces have had significant spikes in cases. The rate of vaccination in the US should shield you somewhat

Yup.  As of yesterday 29% of the population in my state has had at least one dose of the vaccine and over 16% have had both. 

Add to that the numbers of reported and unreported cases and you're over half the population having some level of immunity.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #815 on: April 27, 2021, 04:26:41 AM »
I have finally found Lysol spray on line! I placed an order with Walmart and was able to buy two cans. I think I could have bought more but it was a scent I had not purchased before so I kept it at two cans. Then a few days later I needed something I couldn't get at Walmart so went to Target website and found more Lysol in the scent that I normally buy. I clicked on it and it only offered me one can so I took it. Then I ran across a smaller can, same scent and bought one of those too. First time I have been able to buy aerosol Lysol in over a year! So excited! So, this is my latest thing to stock up on with future on line purchases!

« Last Edit: April 27, 2021, 08:30:33 AM by Roadrunner53 »

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #816 on: April 27, 2021, 07:48:27 AM »
I haven't read up on why the CDC predicted doom, but my guess would be the spread of the more contagious variants has epidemiologists worried. In Canada several of the provinces have had significant spikes in cases. The rate of vaccination in the US should shield you somewhat

Yup.  As of yesterday 29% of the population in my state has had at least one dose of the vaccine and over 16% have had both. 

Add to that the numbers of reported and unreported cases and you're over half the population having some level of immunity.

Yeah, I'm not sure it's wise to count on 'some level of immunity' from past infections.  I mean, that's what India was doing a month ago . . . and it doesn't seem to have worked out so well for them.

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #817 on: April 27, 2021, 07:56:15 AM »
I have finally found Lysol spray on line! I place an order with Walmart and was able to buy two cans. I think I could have bought more but it was an scent I had not purchased before so I kept it at two cans. Then a few days later I needed something I couldn't get at Walmart so went to Target website and found more Lysol in the scent that I normally buy. I clicked on it and it only offered me one can so I took it. Then I ran across a smaller can, same scent and bought one of those too. First time I have been able to buy aerosol Lysol in over a year! So excited! So, this is my latest thing to stock up on with future on line purchases!

My mom gave me two cans of Lysol for Christmas this year :) what a weird, weird time.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #818 on: April 27, 2021, 08:07:14 AM »
I am sorting through my various supply cupboards because we are getting ready to move and it's interesting to see what got used up and what didn't. I bought a giant thing of lysol spray at the very beginning - it's not something I usually use, and most of that can is left. When I disinfect, I mostly use bleach and water and a rag. Similarly, we bought Clorox Wipes to keep in the car, and have most of them left because we mostly didn't go anywhere.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #819 on: April 27, 2021, 08:45:49 AM »
I am really concerned with what the future holds on this pandemic. In my state we had a lot of rules in place with masks, social distancing, limited amount of people in restaurants. Now things are rapidly changing and a lot of these rules are being relaxed. Then I hear that people are losing interest in getting the covid vaccine. Some people are only taking one dose when they need two doses. This is really messed up.

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #820 on: April 27, 2021, 09:58:17 AM »
We are starting our 3rd wave here, with a lot of cases being variant related.  More restrictions take place tomorrow, going backwards to ones that were in place before they were relaxed a month or so ago.  Yet, in spite of that, I feel renewed hope, because vaccines are steadily occurring.  I have mine scheduled for next week.  So, because I have a lot of food still in the freezer and pantry, I've decided to eat those down so I can avoid going out as much as possible right now (groceries are really my only public excursion) until my immunity kicks in.  I should be good for at least 2 months, then I will replenish as needed, without some panic-induced buys.

the_fixer

• Handlebar Stache
  • mind on my money money on my mind
« Reply #821 on: April 27, 2021, 11:37:23 AM »
I have finally found Lysol spray on line! I placed an order with Walmart and was able to buy two cans. I think I could have bought more but it was a scent I had not purchased before so I kept it at two cans. Then a few days later I needed something I couldn't get at Walmart so went to Target website and found more Lysol in the scent that I normally buy. I clicked on it and it only offered me one can so I took it. Then I ran across a smaller can, same scent and bought one of those too. First time I have been able to buy aerosol Lysol in over a year! So excited! So, this is my latest thing to stock up on with future on line purchases!
I was in Costco yesterday and they had an entire pallet of the 3 pack cans FYI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #822 on: April 27, 2021, 12:32:58 PM »
What are you guys using all of these aerosol sprays for?  Asking as a person who has never owned a can of the stuff.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #823 on: April 27, 2021, 12:59:14 PM »
What are you guys using all of these aerosol sprays for?  Asking as a person who has never owned a can of the stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLE4FKlaQwA

We spray incoming boxes that are delivered to the house, use it in the bathroom, dog beds, air freshner.

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #824 on: April 27, 2021, 02:23:14 PM »
I use it for surfaces in the house if someone is ill.

NumberJohnny5

• Pencil Stache

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian

the_fixer

• Handlebar Stache
  • mind on my money money on my mind
« Reply #828 on: April 27, 2021, 06:06:55 PM »
We had to get work done on our house 2x last year and that meant having a couple of random workers in and out of our house.

Wearing my mask I sprayed the inside of the house when they were done and went out for a few hours to let it rest.

Not sure if it did anything but it made us feel better about having strange people in our house especially since they did not have the best mask etiquette taking the masks off and on to talk / work etc.

We have one can and it will last us years as it typically only gets used when someone is sick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #829 on: April 28, 2021, 08:08:33 AM »
Wow, this is interesting on a possible upcoming gas shortage!

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/27/business/summer-gasoline-shortage/index.html

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #830 on: April 28, 2021, 08:16:36 AM »

Meanwhile, I used two tanks of gas last year, and was hoping to keep the trend going.  :P

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #831 on: April 28, 2021, 09:38:31 AM »
My worst fears are coming true: https://www.petfoodindustry.com/articles/10125-pet-food-product-supply-disruptions-persist-as-sales-grow

Luckily since the pandemic started I've been keeping several weeks on hand, but this shortage seems quite a bit worse. I've had trouble ordering the most basic things and the grocery store shelves were practically empty earlier this week.

It may have already started because my elderly dog is on: Hill's Prescription Diet k/d Kidney Care with Lamb Canned Dog Food, and it has been out of stock for months at Chewy. There are alternatives to the lamb but the Vet started him on that dog food and I stuck with it till it was out of stock. I buy a chicken alternative now.

K_in_the_kitchen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #832 on: April 28, 2021, 09:47:29 AM »
I am sorting through my various supply cupboards because we are getting ready to move and it's interesting to see what got used up and what didn't. I bought a giant thing of lysol spray at the very beginning - it's not something I usually use, and most of that can is left. When I disinfect, I mostly use bleach and water and a rag. Similarly, we bought Clorox Wipes to keep in the car, and have most of them left because we mostly didn't go anywhere.
I happened to buy my first can of aerosol Lysol in February 2020.  My husband came down with the flu right before we were headed out of state for a bicycle race, and I didn't want anyone to get sick so I bought the Lysol and also a container of disinfecting wipes.  The Lysol is still more than half full because in the end I've used it to spray the inside of the garbage can now and then.

(He quickly wondered if he'd had Covid, but I highly doubt it because he was 100% better within 24 hours of taking Tamiflu.)

Having now gone through the pandemic (or I guess still going through it), I'm in the bleach and water camp for disinfecting things at home.  I use disinfecting wipes on cart handles because I've done that for at least a decade -- here in CA we already had free disinfecting wipes available near the carts Costco, Target, and the major grocery stores.  We stopped wiping packages and groceries sometime last summer.

I'm certain some of my behavior has changed permanently.  I usually carried hand sanitizer but rarely used it, and going forward I will use it every time.  Not because Covid is easily transferred by contact with surfaces because it isn't, but because so many other germs are.  I started carrying a small baggy of homemade wipes (70% alcohol on disposable dry wipes).  I intend to wear a mask in public whenever I have symptoms of illness.

As for the pandemic hoarding, we're on our second container of disinfecting wipes (most were used in the first month or two).  All in all I had the container I bought in February and one more container I was able to buy in June.  I never needed the wipes I grabbed from my dad's house when he moved, which were all older and already opened.  I knew they wouldn't be 100% as strong as new wipes but figured they might be better than nothing.  We've used the first 6 bottles of hand sanitizer I ordered, but not the rest, including two full gallons.  Dates are good on everything, but I'm going to take the gallons to my sons' workplace since there's no way we'll go through it before it loses potency.  Oh, we've gone through more liquid hand soap this year than ever before, which is a major plus. I still have one refill bottle, but everything else is gone.

I guess my plan from here on out is as simple as disinfect with bleach and water when necessary, wear a mask in public if I have symptoms of illness, wipe down shopping carts, use hand sanitizer after being inside stores, restaurants, the library, etc., and wash my hands with soap and water every time I come home.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #833 on: April 28, 2021, 03:43:26 PM »

Meanwhile, I used two tanks of gas last year, and was hoping to keep the trend going.  :P
I put only 1400 miles on my car last year, and more than that on my legs with walking/running.

This year, and this summer, there will be more.  We have *ONE* vacation planned.  The kids have a handful of summer camps (that are, at the farthest, 5 miles away).  I don't see myself working at the office since the kids will be at home.  Oooh...but maybe if I ever DO go in, I can go back to riding my bike occasionally.  The only reason we stopped was the nutso dropoff/pickup schedules.

K_in_the_kitchen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #834 on: April 29, 2021, 09:49:21 AM »

I put only 1400 miles on my car last year, and more than that on my legs with walking/running.

This year, and this summer, there will be more.  We have *ONE* vacation planned.  The kids have a handful of summer camps (that are, at the farthest, 5 miles away).  I don't see myself working at the office since the kids will be at home.  Oooh...but maybe if I ever DO go in, I can go back to riding my bike occasionally.  The only reason we stopped was the nutso dropoff/pickup schedules.

We put 1800 miles on our car in 2020.  Our usual annual mileage is 4000 - 5000 in the car, with the van varying widely based on whether or not we take a long trip -- in the first 3 months of 2020 we put 2300 miles on the van (almost all race related).  We sold that van early in the pandemic and replaced it last month, so our total milage in 2020 was 4100 miles (3 driving adults).

We've driven 1600 miles so far in 2021 (car + new van).

This summer, however, we'll be driving 3600 miles round trip just to take our sons to university.  I hope this gas shortage thing is hype more than anything else, since companies know that click bait articles about shortages and running out(!) are bound to drive up demand immediately.  But it's going to cost whatever it costs.

K_in_the_kitchen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #835 on: April 29, 2021, 09:58:19 AM »
I'm now actively "de-hoarding".  Any food we didn't really love is being donated.  I stopped buying any extra food and we're working through what we have.

I learned my lesson with butter.  I chose to throw away 8 pounds that we bought last summer and froze because the flavors are just way too off.  It was Costco butter and each 4 pound pack had shrink wrap on it, but it still took on odors.  I did move it to the refrigerator in February (when I emptied the outside fridge/freezer) so that likely accelerated the deterioration.  I've bulk bought butter and stored it frozen before, but never for so long a time period.

I also lost 15# of the gluten free flour blend I bought -- it smells horribly rancid.  I blame this hoarding on the fact that this brand got so hard to find early in the pandemic.  Normally I wouldn't have bought more than one 3# bag at a time.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #836 on: April 29, 2021, 10:21:59 AM »
My worst fears are coming true: https://www.petfoodindustry.com/articles/10125-pet-food-product-supply-disruptions-persist-as-sales-grow

Luckily since the pandemic started I've been keeping several weeks on hand, but this shortage seems quite a bit worse. I've had trouble ordering the most basic things and the grocery store shelves were practically empty earlier this week.

It's been hit or miss for us. I had trouble finding kitten food locally a few months ago. Fortunately, the kitten is now grown enough to thrive on adult food.

This is what I worried about most last year when the first shortages hit. My husband and I can survive on a wide variety of foodstuffs. Our two obligate carnivores and obligate herbivore cannot.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #837 on: July 27, 2021, 03:52:59 AM »
Hello fellow stocker uppers! Now that the Delta Variant is spreading like wildfire what are you all doing? I for one have not stopped stocking up on my favorite foods. Freezers are full, shelves of shelf stable foods are full. Just recently I have been able to buy Lysol spray in a can on line. I have bought a few cans, nothing outrageous. I still have two boxes full of face masks.

Do you think we are going to have lock downs again and people who were just getting ready to go back to the office in September, will they go back now? Are kids going to be home schooled again?

I am still wearing masks when I go out and am fully vaccinated. Don't plan to travel and am pretty much staying home.

What are the rest of you doing?

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #838 on: July 27, 2021, 05:45:09 AM »
The swim club members in my area have a weird penchant for TP-ing each other's houses. Blessedly, that BS stopped during the pandemic. This year, they've started up again, which pisses me off. They are using so much that it's clear they hoarded it and are now using this tactic as a way to get rid of their oversupply. Asshats.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #839 on: July 27, 2021, 06:03:09 AM »
Too bad the Asshats don't donate the TP to a food bank where people in need would appreciate it. What a waste!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #840 on: July 27, 2021, 06:43:06 AM »
Too bad the Asshats don't donate the TP to a food bank where people in need would appreciate it. What a waste!
In our experience, it's the patents who think this shit is funny. We protested vigorously for a few years and got branded as killjoys. What a terrible lesson to pass on to your children while calling it "good, clean fun" and "harmless". Apparently it's an opt-in thing, which makes it even worse, IMO. Argh!

NumberJohnny5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #841 on: July 27, 2021, 08:56:42 AM »
Wait...so you're an asshat if the worst thing you do is tp someone's house who specifically asked for it?

It wouldn't be so bad if they didn't get permission first?

What the hell am I missing here?

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #842 on: July 27, 2021, 09:54:53 AM »
I think it's worse because adults are volunteering for this massive waste of resources.  Kids could maybe be excused for such foolishness.

I'm not stocking up at all, in fact, I'm trying to eat down everything.  Locally, we aren't expecting much of a 4th wave, and that will mainly be among the unvaccinated, which are currently around 20%, so I'm not really worried.  I massively overstocked last March and it was actually stressful having that much food in the house.  Knowing I had something and not being able to find it, because I wasn't about to empty out half the freezer.  So I ended up mainly eating the stuff that went in last, which means the oldest stuff is still in there, waiting it's turn.  Year old chicken does not have the greatest flavour.  Not going to do that again.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #843 on: July 27, 2021, 10:08:48 AM »
SunnyDays, I understand freezer storage problems and finding stuff. Just wanted to say when you get your freezer down to manageable amounts, consider getting bins that fit the shelving and organize your food into the bins. Years ago we had the same issue but during this pandemic I purchased bins from the container store and we put like meats in each bin. Chicken bin, steak bin, ground meat bin, frozen veg bin and so on. It also helps solve the slipping and sliding issue of stacking thing on top of each other.

Just measure your shelves correctly, depth, height and width! These are the bins I bought: https://www.containerstore.com/s/under-the-sink-starter-kit/d?q=under+counter+bins&productId=11006241

There are three sizes and mostly I use the largest and medium ones. I try to make use of every inch of my freezer space. I try to package everything flat so things fit nicely into the bins.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #844 on: July 27, 2021, 10:12:22 AM »
I might stock up on pet food again after seeing an article yesterday that the drought is hitting hay crops hard, causing ranchers to consider culling their herds. Plus, meatpacking facilities have repeatedly been shut down due to outbreaks throughout the pandemic, and this has trickled down into pet food production (there have been shortages even when human supplies were plentiful). I should stock up on hay for the rabbit and some of the one cat chow flavor that our picky cat will eat.

K_in_the_kitchen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #845 on: July 27, 2021, 11:55:37 AM »
Even knowing we might be headed into another fall and winter of staying at home, I still chose to donate most of the pantry food because I wanted the space and to donate the food while it was still within dates, which matters to the food pantry.  I'm going to need a different game plan this time around -- I don't want to fill my pantry with canned foods we'd really rather not eat, like canned beans.  I think the freezer will be even more important than it was during the previous lockdown, but I'll have to be judicious with my space because we donated our extra refrigerator/freezer, so I just have the house fridge and the small chest freezer.  I'm mostly going to need fresh foods, so I'll use Instacart or store pickup programs.

I'm concerned about the Delta variant.  I'll be masking indoors, which I hadn't stopped except for a couple of weeks ago when I forgot to take masks with me to Costco.  We have a celebratory restaurant meal planned for mid-August which I really hope is safe for us to do.  We also have a cross country road trip we can't cancel, so I need to figure out how to do that safely, especially in states with lower vaccination rates and mask intolerance.  I think my plan has to be to be able to feed us from the campervan for every meal.

It's time to buy more toilet paper, paper towels, and facial tissue, along with more hand soap and some of the things that were hard to find during the last year, like drain cleaner.  Not at hoarding levels, but we've been using up what we bought last year and are getting low.  At least now I have a better idea of how much we use in a year, and I'll cut it in half since our sons will be gone.  I'm not going to stock up on pantry food this time.  We have a bucket of hard wheat berries, half a bucket of popping corn (which can be ground), and smaller amounts of other grains, along with some white flour we don't really eat anymore, but can use if needed.  But we've gone back to eating whole and fresh foods predominately, and I don't want to give it up.

I have a feeling this is going to be a permanent situation going forward, with diseases emerging and a vaccine-averse population.

K_in_the_kitchen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #846 on: July 27, 2021, 12:02:27 PM »
I think it's worse because adults are volunteering for this massive waste of resources.  Kids could maybe be excused for such foolishness.

I'm not stocking up at all, in fact, I'm trying to eat down everything.  Locally, we aren't expecting much of a 4th wave, and that will mainly be among the unvaccinated, which are currently around 20%, so I'm not really worried.  I massively overstocked last March and it was actually stressful having that much food in the house.  Knowing I had something and not being able to find it, because I wasn't about to empty out half the freezer.  So I ended up mainly eating the stuff that went in last, which means the oldest stuff is still in there, waiting it's turn.  Year old chicken does not have the greatest flavour.  Not going to do that again.

I'm so with you on this -- rather than feeling relaxed at having so much extra food, it was a hassle to manage, and it nagged at me.  Plus we got pantry bugs (twice) because the freezer was so full I couldn't freeze the grains I ordered in bulk.  We've been eating down the freezer and I hope I can have it empty before our sons leave for university.  It needs to be defrosted and can use a good cleaning, and I think I might even paint it to freshen it up.  When I fill it again I'm going to make sure there is always room for incoming grains to be frozen.

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #847 on: July 27, 2021, 01:28:39 PM »
SunnyDays, I understand freezer storage problems and finding stuff. Just wanted to say when you get your freezer down to manageable amounts, consider getting bins that fit the shelving and organize your food into the bins. Years ago we had the same issue but during this pandemic I purchased bins from the container store and we put like meats in each bin. Chicken bin, steak bin, ground meat bin, frozen veg bin and so on. It also helps solve the slipping and sliding issue of stacking thing on top of each other.

Just measure your shelves correctly, depth, height and width! These are the bins I bought: https://www.containerstore.com/s/under-the-sink-starter-kit/d?q=under+counter+bins&productId=11006241

There are three sizes and mostly I use the largest and medium ones. I try to make use of every inch of my freezer space. I try to package everything flat so things fit nicely into the bins.

Thanks for the info.  Those containers look interesting.  I do use plastic bins, but they tend to be about 6" shorter than the shelves, which means that I pile stuff on top to use up the space, then when I pull the bin out, it all slides off.  So, yeah, better/taller bins would help.  I'll have to look around.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #848 on: July 27, 2021, 01:57:01 PM »
Our freezer is full.  We have kids, so we shop at Costco.  I never stopped masking in stores, but I may return to less frequent shopping and baking bread.

A friend of mine has COVID right now...fully vaxxed, picked it up on a van ride out with friends.  Sigh.

I still think kids will be at school, and I think CA will adjust their recommendations to say masks at all times, not just indoors, before school starts.

K_in_the_kitchen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #849 on: July 27, 2021, 02:38:02 PM »

Thanks for the info.  Those containers look interesting.  I do use plastic bins, but they tend to be about 6" shorter than the shelves, which means that I pile stuff on top to use up the space, then when I pull the bin out, it all slides off.  So, yeah, better/taller bins would help.  I'll have to look around.

It sounds like you have an upright freezer?  I had one awhile back and found it really hard to keep it full *and* organized -- it could only be one of the other.  I had to give up space utilized in order to be able to access everything easily.  I eventually went back to the small chest freezer we already had, but that was more because of the energy costs -- it's much less expensive to run the 8 cubic foot manual defrost chest freezer than it was to run the 21 cubic foot automatic defrost upright freezer.

I can cram the chest freezer completely full, but it's a hassle to dig down to the bottom.  My solution has been to use bags and boxes, plus the two baskets it came with.  The bottom is lined with cardboard boxes to divide lower items, and the other categories of food are in reusable bags stacked side-by side on top of the lower layer.  The OEM baskets set on top sort of hanging, and I keep the foods I grab most often in those.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!