Author Topic: Paleo anyone?  (Read 36506 times)

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
  • Live on minimum wage, earn on maximum
Re: Paleo anyone?
« Reply #50 on: July 07, 2014, 11:52:40 AM »
I've been trying to eat a lot more veggies and go to the gym 3x a week plus bike commute to work. I'm overweight and have had zero luck loosing any of the excess weight.

I don't buy junk food, none, at all. I do still eat bread (no pasta really, I've found it doesn't fill me up). Maybe that is my problem.

Any recommendations on how to get started trying paleo?

This is a little off topic, but I want to suggest trying sprints and intervals at high intensity if you are not already. I've been reading that burns fat much better than long duration cardio stuff. The Primal Blueprint Fitness Plan ebook has some good stuff in it; you can get it from the Mark's Daily Apple website for free. Eating less is the obvious answer; most people are not good at that because they can't stand being hungry. I'm no doctor, but some people have medical conditions, like thyroid problems, that make it hard to maintain an ideal weight. Good luck!

Thanks for your reply ---  I am substantially overweight currently.   My plan is to drop 30 pounds and gradually work up to HIT exercises and heavy weights.   I am not doing that now out of fear of dying.  Heart problem in recent past.   

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #51 on: July 07, 2014, 01:35:07 PM »
My wife and I did Whole30 for 30 days (Paleo on crack) - Meats, fruits, veggies, nuts. NOTHING ELSE added. They even try to limit some of your nightshades and other stuff. Tough to stay up to date because they come out with a new version every so often to keep the money.

Sustainable? Probably but it would be very hard.

Fun? Nope, but the first 2 weeks were much harder than the last 2. Routine and planning were key.

Did I find out that I get the shits from a glass of milk but am fine eating ice cream? Most definitely.

Biggest takeaway is that I still only drink my coffee black.

When started the Whole30, I was working out 3 times a week, playing volleyball 3 times a week, and was stagnant at 185. With that workout regimen, I ATE ALL THE TIME. I still ended up losing 10 lbs. I didn't feel malnourished, I just needed to get used to eating 6-10 eggs a day.

I think I might do it again, just to re-calibrate. It's definitely a neat experience, and overall, I eat healthier because of it. I'm a little off the wagon now though, but still have by baby (cough cough toddler and I'm a dude cough cough) weight. Oh, and I'm not working out or playing volleyball regularly. Oh and I'm driving an hour and 20 minutes each way to work for the past month (IT WILL BE ENDING NEXT WEEK THOUGH!).

So long story short, I think it's fun to do but setting a reasonable time frame (like the above 30 days) to try it makes it much more viable.

Don't be the annoying friend who whines about not being able to have fun with everyone else but restricts everyone's options to the point where no one wants to hang out. If you go out, be picky and drink your water but don't make a big deal about it.

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #52 on: July 08, 2014, 06:15:34 AM »
I've been trying to eat a lot more veggies and go to the gym 3x a week plus bike commute to work. I'm overweight and have had zero luck loosing any of the excess weight.

I don't buy junk food, none, at all. I do still eat bread (no pasta really, I've found it doesn't fill me up). Maybe that is my problem.

If you're doing all of that, I'd check out your gym routine. Lift heavy things. It takes a TON more energy to do that than to jog on a treadmill for a half hour. You want your body to be as inefficient (fuel-wise) as possible. You want to be a Hummer, burning fuel like crazy. Do not be a Prius jogging along forever, very efficiently.

jordanread

« Reply #53 on: July 08, 2014, 09:43:38 AM »

If you're doing all of that, I'd check out your gym routine. Lift heavy things. It takes a TON more energy to do that than to jog on a treadmill for a half hour. You want your body to be as inefficient (fuel-wise) as possible. You want to be a Hummer, burning fuel like crazy. Do not be a Prius jogging along forever, very efficiently.

He he he. Be a hummer, not a prius. I love it!!

Personally, I've been "paleo" since December of 2012. Actually found MMM through Marks Daily Apple. I love it. I'm not uber strict, and I don't consider it a diet, definitely more of a lifestyle. Dropped about 40lbs with the nutrition part alone. I usually just try to follow the ratios of fat protein carbs. Beer is a bit of a weakness for me, but merely cutting out processed stuff has made a huge difference. Also, there are a whole lot of resources out there. I didn't have any issues with the planning, since I usually cooked anyway. My biggest challenge was finding a 'staple' to replace my black and brown rice. I use cauliflower a lot now, but have moved away from needing some type of base for my meals.

If you're going to follow the program then you need to stick with it as a life style change as opposed to a "diet".

This. I haven't had experience going back because I feel crappy once I eat almost any processed foods, so I fall back on what is now my default.

Also, I know someone up thread mentioned they missed ice cream. I highly suggest using frozen bananas and cream and making your own. It's perfect for those hot days, and depending on what else you put in it, the banana flavor can be almost completely covered up (although I like bananas).

Wolf_Stache

• Pencil Stache
    • Flower's Fang
« Reply #54 on: July 08, 2014, 11:16:39 AM »

My current routine is weight lifting Mon, Wed, Fri for 30 min (and I'm not skimping either, I'm really sore afterwards). I bike commute to work, about 8 miles round trip.

In High School I had to have surgery on both my knees and my foot, so I cannot run or jog at all Sidenote, I tried Crossfit for a month and a half, and it was too hard on my knees. By the middle of the second month by knees felt like they were being stabbed with an ice pick every time I took a step. Biking doesn't hurt my knees at all, so it and rowing are pretty much the only cardio I can do.

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #55 on: July 09, 2014, 08:16:13 AM »

My current routine is weight lifting Mon, Wed, Fri for 30 min (and I'm not skimping either, I'm really sore afterwards). I bike commute to work, about 8 miles round trip.

In High School I had to have surgery on both my knees and my foot, so I cannot run or jog at all Sidenote, I tried Crossfit for a month and a half, and it was too hard on my knees. By the middle of the second month by knees felt like they were being stabbed with an ice pick every time I took a step. Biking doesn't hurt my knees at all, so it and rowing are pretty much the only cardio I can do.

Yucko for the surgery. Biking is very low impact on the knees so I can see why that would be your cardio of choice. The only thing I can ask is if you can do any strengthening exercises so the muscles around the knees take on more of a load? And coming from a CF background too, try to stick to some high intensity interval stuff (sprint rest sprint) whether on the bike or the rower. Much harder and burns a lot more. Plus it'll increase your long distance capabilities too if you're into that.

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #56 on: July 09, 2014, 08:59:56 AM »

He he he. Be a hummer, not a prius. I love it!!

Personally, I've been "paleo" since December of 2012. Actually found MMM through Marks Daily Apple. I love it. I'm not uber strict, and I don't consider it a diet, definitely more of a lifestyle. Dropped about 40lbs with the nutrition part alone. I usually just try to follow the ratios of fat protein carbs. Beer is a bit of a weakness for me, but merely cutting out processed stuff has made a huge difference. Also, there are a whole lot of resources out there. I didn't have any issues with the planning, since I usually cooked anyway. My biggest challenge was finding a 'staple' to replace my black and brown rice. I use cauliflower a lot now, but have moved away from needing some type of base for my meals.

If you're going to follow the program then you need to stick with it as a life style change as opposed to a "diet".

This. I haven't had experience going back because I feel crappy once I eat almost any processed foods, so I fall back on what is now my default.

Also, I know someone up thread mentioned they missed ice cream. I highly suggest using frozen bananas and cream and making your own. It's perfect for those hot days, and depending on what else you put in it, the banana flavor can be almost completely covered up (although I like bananas).

Thanks for that reply!   I also am a reader of MDA.     I woke up this morning feeling pretty damn good and dropped a belt notch.   I also fell like my muscles are toning even though I'm not currently working out.   I'm being a wussy at age 54 and waiting until significant weight loss until I get into heavy lifting and sprint training.

I am so thrilled to hear about your 40 pound weight loss success!    I'm currently 220 ish with about 30% BF.  So a sorta dancing goal is to be around 10% BF.  That means losing 40+ pounds of fat.

I'm hoping to pick up some muscle as I progress, so that total weight loss might only be 20 lbs by picking up 20 lbs of muscle.

I find it very easy to avoid wheat.   My wife made stir fry with Raman's under it last night.   I almost grossed out on the Raman's and picked the veggies and meat out of them.

For me,  I really think that the wide variety of veggies I eat at almost every meal add lots of antioxidants and micro nutrients throughout my day.   

My "Man Salad" today contains --  spinach,  kale,  broccoli, radishes,  dried cranberries,  mushrooms,  onions,  carrots,  cucumbers and sunflower seeds.  Chicken is the topping with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.   That is a pretty typical mixture with some things added or some taken away, depending on what is in the fridge.

I have read where some folks seem to think this is hard to cook?   The meat is cooked and sliced a couple of times per week.  Then it is just a matter of opening the fridge and throwing together the salad.   10 minutes maybe?   

Dinner will be a similar deal and maybe stir fry it or have the meat on the side.  Sometimes it is salmon or halibut.

It is so easy!

I generally skip breakfast "Eat Stop Eat"  style as I have never really been hungry in the morning.  But if I am I might have a small 3 ingredient salad or some runny eggs.  So my window of fasting is generally something like 14 - 15 hours.   I think the high amount of nutrients and decent amount of fat keep me satiated?   As for protein,  I don't think I am eating anymore than I have in the past.   I don't count calories,  I don't measure,  I don't portion control.  Munching the raw veggies in the salad takes longer to eat that sucking down cooked pasta.  Weirdly,  I even find myself not finishing my plate.   This typically didn't happen in the past with wheat based meals.   

Did I mention I feel so good!

Thank you to everyone posting on this thread.

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #57 on: July 09, 2014, 09:04:46 AM »

This is the hardest part for me. I always feel amazing when I'm eating clean, but then I get lazy or have parties to go to or excuses excuses excuses. Then boom, I'm up 10 lbs and probably have lost some muscle too. Just gotta work on getting back into that mindful state! Little cues like keeping the kitchen scale on the counter right where plates go (instead of in the cabinet) help me a bit.

jordanread

« Reply #58 on: July 09, 2014, 09:55:06 AM »
Thanks for that reply!   I also am a reader of MDA.     I woke up this morning feeling pretty damn good and dropped a belt notch.   I also fell like my muscles are toning even though I'm not currently working out.   I'm being a wussy at age 54 and waiting until significant weight loss until I get into heavy lifting and sprint training.

I am so thrilled to hear about your 40 pound weight loss success!    I'm currently 220 ish with about 30% BF.  So a sorta dancing goal is to be around 10% BF.  That means losing 40+ pounds of fat.

I'm hoping to pick up some muscle as I progress, so that total weight loss might only be 20 lbs by picking up 20 lbs of muscle.

I find it very easy to avoid wheat.   My wife made stir fry with Raman's under it last night.   I almost grossed out on the Raman's and picked the veggies and meat out of them.

For me,  I really think that the wide variety of veggies I eat at almost every meal add lots of antioxidants and micro nutrients throughout my day.   

My "Man Salad" today contains --  spinach,  kale,  broccoli, radishes,  dried cranberries,  mushrooms,  onions,  carrots,  cucumbers and sunflower seeds.  Chicken is the topping with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.   That is a pretty typical mixture with some things added or some taken away, depending on what is in the fridge.

I have read where some folks seem to think this is hard to cook?   The meat is cooked and sliced a couple of times per week.  Then it is just a matter of opening the fridge and throwing together the salad.   10 minutes maybe?   

Dinner will be a similar deal and maybe stir fry it or have the meat on the side.  Sometimes it is salmon or halibut.

It is so easy!

I generally skip breakfast "Eat Stop Eat"  style as I have never really been hungry in the morning.  But if I am I might have a small 3 ingredient salad or some runny eggs.  So my window of fasting is generally something like 14 - 15 hours.   I think the high amount of nutrients and decent amount of fat keep me satiated?   As for protein,  I don't think I am eating anymore than I have in the past.   I don't count calories,  I don't measure,  I don't portion control.  Munching the raw veggies in the salad takes longer to eat that sucking down cooked pasta.  Weirdly,  I even find myself not finishing my plate.   This typically didn't happen in the past with wheat based meals.   

Thank you to everyone posting on this thread.

Glad it's working well for you. I don't do the Salads too often, but I do use the Nutribullet to make shakes that have Kale, Spinach, Cabbage, Broccoli, Greek Yogurt, Chia Seeds, Fruit, and all of my vitamins I take. It is super fast, super easy, and it's pretty damn delicious too. I haven't done the intermittent fasting thing yet, I just eat when I'm hungry...except at the end of the day, where I will try to take some oil to get my ratios back up after having a few beers. :-)

bikebum

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #59 on: July 09, 2014, 10:04:13 PM »

That sounds good!

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #60 on: July 10, 2014, 02:14:36 AM »
I've been paleo/primal since MMM posted about MDA http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2012/08/07/mr-money-mustache-vs-marks-daily-apple/. Actually I did Atkins back in the early 1980s, (which is pretty similar in the early version without all the weird bars and stuff) and found it useful to lose weight. I stopped because of all the bad press, felt guilty eating this "unhealthy" diet.

I'm a big fan, but have had a lot of trouble with digestion and fatigue, which  standard Primal did not fix. And this time around I didn't lose weight despite doing intermittent fasting and most of the other things recommended.

I'm now on SCD (specific carbohydrate diet) and low FODMAPS and finally starting to make some progress. I guess I have leaky gut and small intestine bacterial overgrowth.  SCD is tough work but I was getting pretty desperate and if my health improves it'll be worth it. My medical colleagues have been patting me on the head  for about 3 decades saying  I "just" have irritable bowel syndrome (eat more fibre), and  more recently, if I lose weight I won't be so fatigued. The penny finally dropped when I realised I was not only vit D deficient but also Mg and Zn and GOK what else.

I'm not so interested in the caveman romanticism and anthropology, but eating real clean food, not processed crap is logical to me. Sharing my experience in case anyone else is having trouble feeling good on paleo. Its worth reading round the key proponents, there are quite a few variations and keep on trialling until you get it right for you.

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #61 on: July 10, 2014, 08:15:17 AM »
I've been paleo/primal since MMM posted about MDA http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2012/08/07/mr-money-mustache-vs-marks-daily-apple/. Actually I did Atkins back in the early 1980s, (which is pretty similar in the early version without all the weird bars and stuff) and found it useful to lose weight. I stopped because of all the bad press, felt guilty eating this "unhealthy" diet.

I'm a big fan, but have had a lot of trouble with digestion and fatigue, which  standard Primal did not fix. And this time around I didn't lose weight despite doing intermittent fasting and most of the other things recommended.

I'm now on SCD (specific carbohydrate diet) and low FODMAPS and finally starting to make some progress. I guess I have leaky gut and small intestine bacterial overgrowth.  SCD is tough work but I was getting pretty desperate and if my health improves it'll be worth it. My medical colleagues have been patting me on the head  for about 3 decades saying  I "just" have irritable bowel syndrome (eat more fibre), and  more recently, if I lose weight I won't be so fatigued. The penny finally dropped when I realised I was not only vit D deficient but also Mg and Zn and GOK what else.

I'm not so interested in the caveman romanticism and anthropology, but eating real clean food, not processed crap is logical to me. Sharing my experience in case anyone else is having trouble feeling good on paleo. Its worth reading round the key proponents, there are quite a few variations and keep on trialling until you get it right for you.

Thanks for the response.  Will look into the SDC.   Sticking with lots of veggies, fat and moderate protein; without wheat, white carbs seems to be working for me for now.   I was curious about the long term effects i.e. decreases in testosterone on low carb intake, so I will be looking at adding some healthy sources of carbs in the future.   IMHO fake wheat (marketed as real wheat) is pretty bad, so I doubt I ever add that back in. 

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #62 on: July 10, 2014, 08:24:48 AM »

This is the hardest part for me. I always feel amazing when I'm eating clean, but then I get lazy or have parties to go to or excuses excuses excuses. Then boom, I'm up 10 lbs and probably have lost some muscle too. Just gotta work on getting back into that mindful state! Little cues like keeping the kitchen scale on the counter right where plates go (instead of in the cabinet) help me a bit.

Yeah,  I get that --- I'm afraid that I'll revert back to the SAD at some point.  But for right now I am finding it easy to stay the course.  I stray a little as it is, so I'm not super strict.   For example,  I haven't even considered reducing my weekend adult beverage quota.   But I may decide to go strictly for vodka based veggie drinks this weekend.   I think beer probably is a big part of why I gained weight these last 25 years.   You know,  gaining 2 lbs per year on average doesn't seem like much!  (the math is pretty simple --  500 beers per year at 150 cals = 75,000 annual cals.)

I'm hoping to be looking at my "before picture" in a year or so and celebrating a 50 lb return to health.

Habilis

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #63 on: July 10, 2014, 12:38:09 PM »
Just wanted to second the SCD suggestion, or it's close cousing GAPS (Gut and Physiology/Psychology Syndrome), not as a lifelong diet but as  atherapeutic diet to heal and seal the gut.

It's remarkable the number of illnesses that are all connected by an unhealthy or unbalanced gut, and you can treat the symptoms with medicine or by elimination diets, which do help, but healing the gut is getting to the root cause, IMO.

Here's a list of conditions/symptoms that have been helped by GAPS according to Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride, who developed the therapy in her clinic for autistic children (http://www.doctor-natasha.com/).

acne
ADD
ADHD
aggressive behaviour
Allergy
anaemia
angina
anorexia
arrhythmia
Asperger's disorder
asthma
atherosclerosis
attention deficit
Autism
Autoimmunity
baby problems
behaviour problems
bipolar disorder
bloating
blood pressure
bottle feeding
brain dysfunction
breast feeding
bulimia
chest infections
childhood disease
cholesterol problems
colic
colicky baby
colitis
constipation
Crohn's disease
cystitis
depression
diabetes type two
diarrhoea
digestive problems
dysbiosis
dyslexia
dyspraxia
ear infections
eating disorder
eczema
epilepsy
failure to thrive
flatulence
food allergy
food intolerance
feeding problems
fussy eating in children and adults
GAP Syndrome
GAPS
gut flora abnormalities
gut infection
heart attack
heart disease
heart problems
hyperactivity
IBS
indigestion
irritable bowel
learning problems
learning disability
manic disorder
mastitis
memory problems
menstrual problems
migraines
mood swings
neurological problems
nutritional deficiencies
obsessive-compulsive disorder
OCD
oppositional-defiant disorder
peripheral vascular disease
PMS
psychiatric problems
psychosis
reflux
tummy pain
schizophrenia
stroke
underweight
ulcerative colitis
urinary infections
weight problems

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #64 on: July 10, 2014, 11:51:45 PM »
@Habilis, yes I agree, GAPS is also of significance. When you read around there is a group of these programs with  a lot of similarities and some minor variations. The leaky gut/SIBO thing is interesting and ties together a lot of problems that fundamentally there's not much deep explanation for.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #65 on: July 11, 2014, 12:58:32 AM »
Just wanted to second the SCD suggestion, or it's close cousing GAPS (Gut and Physiology/Psychology Syndrome), not as a lifelong diet but as  atherapeutic diet to heal and seal the gut.

It's remarkable the number of illnesses that are all connected by an unhealthy or unbalanced gut, and you can treat the symptoms with medicine or by elimination diets, which do help, but healing the gut is getting to the root cause, IMO.

Here's a list of conditions/symptoms that have been helped by GAPS according to Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride, who developed the therapy in her clinic for autistic children (http://www.doctor-natasha.com/).
Hate to say it, but my pseudoscience detector is screaming from this one. Any doctor whose website has more christmas CDs than peer-reviewed studies isn't selling science or anything that came from science.

Leisured

• Pencil Stache
  • Retired, and loving it.
« Reply #66 on: July 11, 2014, 08:08:26 AM »

The paleo diet is only loosely connected with the way our ancestor ate ten thousand years ago. Meat was usually available year round, but the hunters would have good days and bad days. Tubers, fruit and nuts are only available for part of the year.

I remember the ‘peasant food’ movement, which started, I think, in the late seventies. The idea was to eat stews and casseroles, with real vegetables, rather than processed food. Here again, the real peasant diet a century ago was only possible at the time of harvest festival, late summer or early autumn. Flour keeps well, so bread was available year round, but vegetables and fruit were preserved and bottled.

The peasant diet is healthy, but is only possible year round with cool rooms and cheap transport. The peasant diet can be thought of as the paleo diet with grain and dairy. Cool rooms and cheap transport makes it possible to eat paleo or eat peasant year round. This is new.

I agree with I P Daley that we are omnivores.

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #67 on: July 11, 2014, 10:49:06 AM »

The paleo diet is only loosely connected with the way our ancestor ate ten thousand years ago. Meat was usually available year round, but the hunters would have good days and bad days. Tubers, fruit and nuts are only available for part of the year.

I remember the ‘peasant food’ movement, which started, I think, in the late seventies. The idea was to eat stews and casseroles, with real vegetables, rather than processed food. Here again, the real peasant diet a century ago was only possible at the time of harvest festival, late summer or early autumn. Flour keeps well, so bread was available year round, but vegetables and fruit were preserved and bottled.

The peasant diet is healthy, but is only possible year round with cool rooms and cheap transport. The peasant diet can be thought of as the paleo diet with grain and dairy. Cool rooms and cheap transport makes it possible to eat paleo or eat peasant year round. This is new.

I agree with I P Daley that we are omnivores.

Thanks for chiming in!   

There are differing examples of the paleo style of eating but some commonalities run through.  Avoid processed foods,  avoid "fake wheat,"   (that would really be any wheat currently commercially available as these high glycemic plants simply didn't exist 50 years  ago), avoid other grains,  avoid inflammatory foods,  avoid antinutrient foods,  eat lots of veggies,  eat some healthy protein,  eat lots of healthy unprocessed fats and go for grassfed products when possible.   

I'm not sure where the term paleo eating style originated.  It is probably a catchy phrase.   The diet is very, very,  science based unlike the USDA pseudo corporate drivel.   The paleo references the idea that our bodies are adapted to foods over numerous generations.   An example of this would be that the Japanese cannot tolerate dairy but the Swiss generally can.   

I'm certainly no expert on this but I do have a background in the public health sector and have done a reasonable amount of research on the paleo style of eating.   It pretty much beats any of the top contenders for best style of eating,  including the much touted Mediterranean  style. 

We are not trying to mimic the diet of a caveman.  We are trying to see what we are historically adapted to and then bring that up a notch.   My guess is that many paleo peoples ate worms,  bugs, bats and just about anything possible.

For me it also uber easy to follow.  No cal counting,  measuring or over thinking.   

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #68 on: July 11, 2014, 10:59:59 AM »

acne
ADD
ADHD
aggressive behaviour
Allergy
anaemia
angina
anorexia
arrhythmia
Asperger's disorder
asthma
atherosclerosis
attention deficit
Autism
Autoimmunity
baby problems
behaviour problems
bipolar disorder
bloating
blood pressure
bottle feeding
brain dysfunction
breast feeding
bulimia
chest infections
childhood disease
cholesterol problems
colic
colicky baby
colitis
constipation
Crohn's disease
cystitis
depression
diabetes type two
diarrhoea
digestive problems
dysbiosis
dyslexia
dyspraxia
ear infections
eating disorder
eczema
epilepsy
failure to thrive
flatulence
food allergy
food intolerance
feeding problems
fussy eating in children and adults
GAP Syndrome
GAPS
gut flora abnormalities
gut infection
heart attack
heart disease
heart problems
hyperactivity
IBS
indigestion
irritable bowel
learning problems
learning disability
manic disorder
mastitis
memory problems
menstrual problems
migraines
mood swings
neurological problems
nutritional deficiencies
obsessive-compulsive disorder
OCD
oppositional-defiant disorder
peripheral vascular disease
PMS
psychiatric problems
psychosis
reflux
tummy pain
schizophrenia
stroke
underweight
ulcerative colitis
urinary infections
weight problems

Thanks for that thoughtful input!

My wife and her adult kids all have autoimmune issues.   Her son's wife is 31 and allergic to beef and pork,  which is most definitely a derivative of leaky gut syndrome. 

I am slowly weaning my wife off of wheat.   She used to get eggs and a wrap or toast for breakfast  -- now just the eggs.  I used to prepare her wraps for lunch.  Now it is the big salad with some meat.   Last night it was steak and lots of Brussels sprouts  -- hold the pasta.   

I'm being a little sneaky,  but I can see that within 2 months there will be no wheat in our house and lots of very healthy stuff. 

If you think about it -  "There is no more pervasive of an environmental input into humans than food."

So yes,  I agree that all disease is impacted by the food (food is a drug after all) we eat.   You wouldn't drink chemically laden water and expect to be healthy.  So why eat chemically laden food?

Thanks again for you sharing!

matchewed

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #69 on: July 11, 2014, 11:20:55 AM »

So yes,  I agree that all disease is impacted by the food (food is a drug after all) we eat.   You wouldn't drink chemically laden water and expect to be healthy.  So why eat chemically laden food?

Thanks again for you sharing!

Water itself is a chemical... Are you somehow drinking non-water water? :)

Chemically laden food is a redundant statement. There is/are water, salt, sugars, alcohols in the foods and drinks we consume. Using chemical as a scare word is not a useful thing. In fact it is meaningless. I definitely drink chemically laden water every day, as do you and anyone else who drinks water.

I agree with the whole eating well thing. Sticking primarily with vegetables, fruits, beans, nuts, and meats. But when we start attributing this sort of diet to curing almost every disease known to man without actual science and proof to back it up I start getting twitchy.

Plus that list is hilarious. Chest infections! Childhood disease! The sheer amount of pseudoscience that is needed to justify one thing helping a list that big...

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #70 on: July 11, 2014, 11:34:50 AM »

I agree with the whole eating well thing. Sticking primarily with vegetables, fruits, beans, nuts, and meats. But when we start attributing this sort of diet to curing almost every disease known to man without actual science and proof to back it up I start getting twitchy.

Plus that list is hilarious. Chest infections! Childhood disease! The sheer amount of pseudoscience that is needed to justify one thing helping a list that big...

And tummy pain. ;)
"Follow my diet, and you'll add 2 inches to your bust, win the lottery, and meet the man of your dreams!"

Habilis

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #71 on: July 11, 2014, 12:10:13 PM »
I am a skeptic at heart so I have to agree it could all be pseudo-science.

After reading Natasha Campbell-McBride's work I'd have to say this: she doesn't appear to be motivated by money or self-promotion, she is not a research scientist conducting research, she is a clinician reporting on her anecdotal clinical experience. And her experience as reported is interesting and connects many dots for me that other research has touched on but not connected.

While that's not science of the same kind as a randomized controlled double-blind trial, it still has the potential to be meaningful observations that could lead to testable hypotheses and shouldn't be dismissed out of hand.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 12:24:26 PM by Habilis »

matchewed

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #72 on: July 11, 2014, 12:18:52 PM »
I am a skeptic at heart so I have to agree it could all be pseudo-science.

After reading Natasha Campbell-McBride's work I'd have to say this: she's not interested in money or self-promotion, she is not a research scientist conducting research, she is a clinician reporting on her anecdotal clinical experience. And her experience as reported is interesting and connects many dots for me that other research has touched on but not connected.

While that's not science of the same kind as a randomized controlled double-blind trial, it still has the potential to be meaningful observations that could lead to testable hypotheses and shouldn't be dismissed out of hand.

Well let me rephrase it to I'm doubtful until I see evidence. You know what they say about extraordinary claims. We all have a tendency to accept the things which support that which we already believe. I certainly do. It's why I'd like things to pass scientific standards. Including repeatability. I would just like to make sure people don't start believing that not eating bread will cure their dyslexia. It's no different from any other fad diet out there in the claims of nearly magical results. I think it's good food advice to eat healthy but I'm not going to raise it on some sort of pedestal alongside the Shroud of Turin.

Philociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Eat. Sleep. Invest. Repeat.
« Reply #73 on: July 11, 2014, 12:28:17 PM »
Well let me rephrase it to I'm doubtful until I see evidence. You know what they say about extraordinary claims. We all have a tendency to accept the things which support that which we already believe. I certainly do. It's why I'd like things to pass scientific standards. Including repeatability. I would just like to make sure people don't start believing that not eating bread will cure their dyslexia. It's no different from any other fad diet out there in the claims of nearly magical results. I think it's good food advice to eat healthy but I'm not going to raise it on some sort of pedestal alongside the Shroud of Turin.

Who's Turin?

I agree that a lot of the claims are sensational, and I eagerly look forward to future trials with diets, especially if we can get someone to fund them.  Pharmaceutical companies, food companies, and government organizations all have disincentives to fund those trials though, so I won't be holding my breath.  I follow a diet based on Paleo, definitely in the best shape of my life.

matchewed

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #74 on: July 11, 2014, 12:40:15 PM »

Who's Turin?

I agree that a lot of the claims are sensational, and I eagerly look forward to future trials with diets, especially if we can get someone to fund them.  Pharmaceutical companies, food companies, and government organizations all have disincentives to fund those trials though, so I won't be holding my breath.  I follow a diet based on Paleo, definitely in the best shape of my life.

The Shroud of Turin is a piece of linen cloth held at a church in the town of Turin in Italy. Some believe that it is the shroud Jesus was buried in. A portion of those people also believe it can cure diseases and the like with the power of miracle.

The problem with funding diet trials is not disincentives for Pharma, food, or government. It is the same disincentive that is there for everyone. Too expensive, too difficult to control, and ethically iffy.

Philociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #75 on: July 11, 2014, 12:44:45 PM »
There's truth in that. Luckily one can test the Paleo ideas n=1 without all those issues, putting it a step ahead of the Jesus delusion.

matchewed

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #76 on: July 11, 2014, 12:53:51 PM »
There's truth in that. Luckily one can test the Paleo ideas n=1 without all those issues, putting it a step ahead of the Jesus delusion.

n=1 has its valid points and iffy points. I'm hesitant to accept self reporting as actual n=1 because there is no rigor to it. Self confirmation and placebo can play a big roll in these informal n=1 scenarios. But at the heart of it I agree with you. Do what works for you. I'd include the caveat of not spreading miracle cure claims though.

Philociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #77 on: July 11, 2014, 12:57:52 PM »
True, and the placebo effect is one too-often ignored, but it definitely borders on not-ethical to deny a cancer patient a treatment to test for it. There's also the healthy mindset issue at hand, whereas those who try Paleo are probably more likely to work out and avoid other risky behaviors.

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #78 on: July 11, 2014, 01:34:08 PM »
True, and the placebo effect is one too-often ignored, but it definitely borders on not-ethical to deny a cancer patient a treatment to test for it. There's also the healthy mindset issue at hand, whereas those who try Paleo are probably more likely to work out and avoid other risky behaviors.

Here are some nice studies on the paleo eating style  -  http://authoritynutrition.com/5-studies-on-the-paleo-diet/

I especially like the Mediterranean vs. Paleo.   Since the Med diet is often noted as one of, if not the best,  it is nice to see paleo beat it out substantially.    Probably the reason is that the version of the Med diet used is wheat dependent.  If you have just a moment the studies are covered in a short format. 

I also like the pig study mentioned at the bottom.   Very nice numbers there.  Yes, I know that pigs aren't humans,  but they are one of the best analogue species for these type of inquiries.

It is a given in the paleo guide books that exercise should occur.  Typically someone like Sisson suggests some walking,  occasional sprinting and occasionally lifting heavy things.   He also suggests active play.   

On the surface this may not seem like much exercise but I would bet that less than 5% of US residents over age 35 currently do those activities.

In fact, I am eating Paleo style but I have not worked lifting heavy things or sprinting into my regime.  I have been a very decent weight lifter and sprinter in the past.  (like over 10 years ago)  But I am currently waiting for some weight to dissipate before easing into those very intense activities.   So I walk about 30 minutes a day.  Whimpy?   I know,  I just don't want to rush it and hurt myself.  Recovery at my age can take a very long time. 

davef

• Stubble
« Reply #79 on: July 14, 2014, 04:44:07 PM »
The wife and I do mostly Paleo. She is asian and loves rice, so its hard.
Its either omeletes  (denver usually) or mexican or bacon and eggs for breakfast.

Lunch is salad or leftovers

Dinner is whatever I can make out of whatever meats are on sale.

Frequently we do:
Chicken Breasts - as Grilled with a bit of bbq sauce, grilled on salads, shredded in chicken noodle scratch soup, sometimes as shicken tacos, or as a curry with coconut milk, kale, sweet potato and bean sprouts over rice.
Whole Chickens - baked (rubbed with sesame oil liquid smoke garlic and a seasoning blend) usually with a salad or broccli
Chicken quarters - Grilled over charcoal with same above seasoning with green beans

Pork chops - maranated with fruit juice (lemon, lime, oranges, and pinapple are all good) and grilled served with grilling peppers
Pork roast - baked in a cast iron skillet with carrots and parsnips (rubbed with olive oil lemon zest and rosemary)
Brats with mustard no bun.

Steak - grilled with musrooms oinons in butter and asparagus
Other beef - as kabobs with onion and peppers
Hambrugers - sometimes eat a bun but I do as a lettuce wrap when I muster the strength.

Salmon (its cheap in the pacific NW) - grilled or baked in a dozen different ways, usually with broccli or a salad, Also I smoke a whole salmon whenever I can get it for $4-5 per pound
My favoriate is salmon cubed and tossed in the wok with broccli in garlic oil with a sauce
Cod, rock cod, or mahi mahi - I use for fish tacos, I do on corn tortillas with guac and my special slaw (cabbage, purple cabbage, shreaded carrot, mayo, spicy mustard, siracha, apple cider vinerger, pepper, celery seed)
Tilapia *(not Asian) I fry and drizzle with sweet and sour sauce and serve with brussel sprouts cooked with bacon (in bacon grease) with mushrooms and onions.
Shrimp - scampi, or on salad or kabobs with fresh pinapple. 

We spend $500-800 a month for groceries including wine (we both drink red wine). And that includes entertaining, which we do regularly, but recieve such as well. We eat out on friday nights at our favoriate local spot. 

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #80 on: July 15, 2014, 08:12:14 AM »
The wife and I do mostly Paleo. She is asian and loves rice, so its hard.
Its either omeletes  (denver usually) or mexican or bacon and eggs for breakfast.

Lunch is salad or leftovers

Dinner is whatever I can make out of whatever meats are on sale.

Frequently we do:
Chicken Breasts - as Grilled with a bit of bbq sauce, grilled on salads, shredded in chicken noodle scratch soup, sometimes as shicken tacos, or as a curry with coconut milk, kale, sweet potato and bean sprouts over rice.
Whole Chickens - baked (rubbed with sesame oil liquid smoke garlic and a seasoning blend) usually with a salad or broccli
Chicken quarters - Grilled over charcoal with same above seasoning with green beans

Pork chops - maranated with fruit juice (lemon, lime, oranges, and pinapple are all good) and grilled served with grilling peppers
Pork roast - baked in a cast iron skillet with carrots and parsnips (rubbed with olive oil lemon zest and rosemary)
Brats with mustard no bun.

Steak - grilled with musrooms oinons in butter and asparagus
Other beef - as kabobs with onion and peppers
Hambrugers - sometimes eat a bun but I do as a lettuce wrap when I muster the strength.

Salmon (its cheap in the pacific NW) - grilled or baked in a dozen different ways, usually with broccli or a salad, Also I smoke a whole salmon whenever I can get it for $4-5 per pound
My favoriate is salmon cubed and tossed in the wok with broccli in garlic oil with a sauce
Cod, rock cod, or mahi mahi - I use for fish tacos, I do on corn tortillas with guac and my special slaw (cabbage, purple cabbage, shreaded carrot, mayo, spicy mustard, siracha, apple cider vinerger, pepper, celery seed)
Tilapia *(not Asian) I fry and drizzle with sweet and sour sauce and serve with brussel sprouts cooked with bacon (in bacon grease) with mushrooms and onions.
Shrimp - scampi, or on salad or kabobs with fresh pinapple. 

We spend $500-800 a month for groceries including wine (we both drink red wine). And that includes entertaining, which we do regularly, but recieve such as well. We eat out on friday nights at our favoriate local spot.

Thanks for the input!   I started salivating at your dinner menus. lol

I'm afraid my palette is not as rich in fish as yours.   I will try adding some canned salmon to my "man salads."     

The big news is that after I put my pants on this morning I noticed that I was down another notch!   That is 3 or 4 notches sense adopting a veggie, meat and healthy fats program.  No grains, beans, dairy, or nightshades.   

So I'm at it maybe a month.   I don't really track or count anything and am doing very little except walking and gardening.   

So I pretty happy to notice the belt loop this morning.   So far the paleo style is effortless and very satisfying.   I feel pretty good most of the time and just don't get very hungry.

I often skip breakfast but this week have started eating 3 runny fried eggs or a small man salad.

I think the vitamins and nutrients I'm receiving everyday from about 10-15 different veggies is a big plus.   

jdmagaw

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #81 on: July 15, 2014, 09:23:02 AM »
Check out http://www.gnolls.org/index/ and http://digestivehealthinstitute.org/.  Got started when I developed stomach problems, and have sense eliminated most of my prescriptions.

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #82 on: July 15, 2014, 02:50:59 PM »
Check out http://www.gnolls.org/index/ and http://digestivehealthinstitute.org/.  Got started when I developed stomach problems, and have sense eliminated most of my prescriptions.

Thanks for those links.  I briefly scanned the Eat Like a Predator site and liked it.   At the digestive health site I ran across an article on Resistant Starch "resistant starch (RS), raw unmodified potato starch, or RUMPS."   

I was wondering if you or another kind reader has had experience with RS.   I have read a few other interesting articles about it.

As I progress on this path I will surely be more interested in my gut microbs and keeping them in health proportions.   I'm familiar with leaky gut syndrome and have a wife and children that are autoimmune, probably due to wheat and unhealthy gut fauna makeups.

Thanks

sloof70

• Stubble
« Reply #83 on: July 15, 2014, 07:13:30 PM »
Generally speaking I follow a low carb diet similar to Paleo (more like keto). Started over a year ago and dropped 40 in about 9 months. I could lose a few more, but I'm feeling fine now. It's more satisfying, easier, feels better, and my blood work is great. Session lager is my secret. And by eating fatty meats, and green veggies, groceries are pretty cheap.

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #84 on: July 16, 2014, 11:18:56 AM »
Generally speaking I follow a low carb diet similar to Paleo (more like keto). Started over a year ago and dropped 40 in about 9 months. I could lose a few more, but I'm feeling fine now. It's more satisfying, easier, feels better, and my blood work is great. Session lager is my secret. And by eating fatty meats, and green veggies, groceries are pretty cheap.

Sounds very similar to my approach.  Would love to be down 40 in 9 months.

This question may be too personal but have you or any readers experienced drops in testosterone or libido after being on a paleo like program.   I see in the literature that this is pretty common and especially if the diet is calorie restricted to lose weight with little or no carbs.   

If so, what did you do to address this?

Thanks

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #85 on: July 16, 2014, 11:35:57 AM »

This question may be too personal but have you or any readers experienced drops in testosterone or libido after being on a paleo like program.   I see in the literature that this is pretty common and especially if the diet is calorie restricted to lose weight with little or no carbs.   

Thanks

When I did my Whole30 I didn't notice anything. Caveat - I was 25, peak condition (working out 3 times plus playing vball 3 times a week), eating all the time (had at least 2 snacks at work consisting of hard boiled egg, some fruits or veggies, and some nuts. I felt better than I ever had, had tons of energy, and my wife was in a similar state. As I said earlier, I lost 10 lbs even though I was pretty good prior to it. No loss of sex drive.

I'm thinking the reason was that I was working out a good amount. I was tired, but not in a the "I ate too much at Thanksgiving" sense.

jordanread

« Reply #86 on: July 16, 2014, 11:37:46 AM »

Thanks

I didn't do anything as far as caloric restriction, and actually both my SO and I noticed a slight increase in libido. We do the primal flavor of paleo, and the results I've heard of have been more on the side of increasing libido. Granted, there are reports about the increase in fertility, so it might be a response to that rather than a direct result. I saw a couple of studies the SO and I had some...ahem...interesting symptoms show up, so I was focused more on fertility. I'll try to find some time and locate them, but I've only got anecdotal stuff as far as libido.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #87 on: July 16, 2014, 12:52:13 PM »
You guys are saying eating too much red meat will make me more of a man?

Philociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #88 on: July 16, 2014, 12:59:22 PM »

I don't believe anyone said that...

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #89 on: July 16, 2014, 01:09:55 PM »

Thanks
GF and I definitely noticed the opposite.  But we don't restrict calories.  We just eat until we're full at meals and don't snack.

jordanread

« Reply #90 on: July 16, 2014, 01:14:04 PM »

No. Since you said "too much red meat", there is little that we can do to help. :P

Isn't red meat in and of itself kind of a man thing? I don't really pay attention to that kind of thing...

In all seriousness, we're not talking red meat, just paleo/primal.

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #91 on: August 01, 2014, 08:16:03 AM »

My wife and her adult kids all have autoimmune issues.   Her son's wife is 31 and allergic to beef and pork,  which is most definitely a derivative of leaky gut syndrome. 

Bob, Take a look at an amazing, and huge body of work on this topic, that was just published recently. It is "The Paleo Approach, Reverse Autoimmune Disease and Heal Your Body"  By Sarah Ballantyne, PHD.

I have nearly disabling issues with Asthma. Since the beginning of this year, I am down 48lbs, and 8" on the waist, by following a strict Autoimmune Paleo protocol. I can totally control my asthma based on diet, to the point that I can pin minor episodes to recent (within hours to a day, or so) and very low consumption of " not recommended" irritants. I haven't been this healthy in years, and my BP and blood sugar levels are way down, and in the low end of the healthy range. The first half of the book is an exhausting review of current science concerning leaky gut, and other factors that lead to these diseases. The other half is a how to guide to getting your health back.

Having spent seven years heading down the road of trying to find a cure using traditional experts, I can safely say that Ballantyne's research is not only life changing for me, but that typical modern medicine is totally lost when dealing with autoimmune diseases. I ended up wasting years of my life listening to those that are both clueless, and useless in providing anything but temporary symptom relief.  Good luck.

frompa

• Bristles
« Reply #92 on: August 02, 2014, 10:02:25 AM »
To add just a tiny note of levity here, brought on by the several mentions of red meat consumption and manhood, I suggest we go full on for the RON SWANSON diet.  I have found his character absolutely fucking hilarious, especially on all matters meat. If you don't already have a good read on Ron Swanson, try this:  http://www.buzzfeed.com/spenceralthouse/18-of-the-best-ron-swanson-quotes-a078

And, for what it's worth, I too have pretty much adopted the low carb diet, lots of veggies, meat, fish, and a little fruit, no grains.  I agree that I feel best on this way of eating. While I am tempted by beers (being a brewer), my biggest downfall is my passion for baking.  It's not that I love to eat what I bake, so much as I love making the stuff that I am pretty sure is dreadfully bad for us, breads, tarts, etc..  I'm trying to replace the baking with fine tuning my barbecue skills.  Any other (reforming) bakers out there with other ideas that are more consistent with the low carb life style?

Samala

« Reply #93 on: August 02, 2014, 11:27:49 AM »
my biggest downfall is my passion for baking.  It's not that I love to eat what I bake, so much as I love making the stuff that I am pretty sure is dreadfully bad for us, breads, tarts, etc..  I'm trying to replace the baking with fine tuning my barbecue skills.  Any other (reforming) bakers out there with other ideas that are more consistent with the low carb life style?

I can relate; I'm the "baker" in my extended family.  I understand you're trying to find a more LC outlet.. but wanted to chime in that it's possible to make paleo-ified baked goods and some of them are FANTASTIC.  (To be fair, they're grain/dairy free but still have plenty of sugar and other potential high carb additions such as tapioca or starches.)  My favorite website for this is elanaspantry.com also see zenbelly.com. 

I was able to fool all of my family this past holiday season by subbing in recipes.  In particular this one for biscotti went over huge: http://www.elanaspantry.com/cranberry-orange-biscotti/ as did this recipe for brownies: http://www.elanaspantry.com/espresso-fudge-brownies/

I did still make traditional apple and pumpkin pies.. but they seemed to like the paleo-ified goodies better.  And these are pretty picky people.

Treats like these have kept paleo fresh and fun for me after two years.  Still, they are treats.  ;)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 11:31:08 AM by Samala »

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #94 on: August 02, 2014, 01:21:46 PM »
my biggest downfall is my passion for baking.  It's not that I love to eat what I bake, so much as I love making the stuff that I am pretty sure is dreadfully bad for us, breads, tarts, etc..  I'm trying to replace the baking with fine tuning my barbecue skills.  Any other (reforming) bakers out there with other ideas that are more consistent with the low carb life style?

I can relate; I'm the "baker" in my extended family.  I understand you're trying to find a more LC outlet.. but wanted to chime in that it's possible to make paleo-ified baked goods and some of them are FANTASTIC.  (To be fair, they're grain/dairy free but still have plenty of sugar and other potential high carb additions such as tapioca or starches.)  My favorite website for this is elanaspantry.com also see zenbelly.com. 

I was able to fool all of my family this past holiday season by subbing in recipes.  In particular this one for biscotti went over huge: http://www.elanaspantry.com/cranberry-orange-biscotti/ as did this recipe for brownies: http://www.elanaspantry.com/espresso-fudge-brownies/

I did still make traditional apple and pumpkin pies.. but they seemed to like the paleo-ified goodies better.  And these are pretty picky people.

Treats like these have kept paleo fresh and fun for me after two years.  Still, they are treats.  ;)

Chocolate chip bacon cookies for the win! Wife makes these occasionally.  Made with almond flour they are awesome!

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #95 on: August 02, 2014, 02:09:47 PM »
To add just a tiny note of levity here, brought on by the several mentions of red meat consumption and manhood, I suggest we go full on for the RON SWANSON diet.  I have found his character absolutely fucking hilarious, especially on all matters meat. If you don't already have a good read on Ron Swanson, try this:  http://www.buzzfeed.com/spenceralthouse/18-of-the-best-ron-swanson-quotes-a078

Ron's the best. Thanks for thelink frompa.

Iron Mike Sharpe

• Bristles
« Reply #96 on: August 04, 2014, 08:06:55 AM »

Ron's the best. Thanks for thelink frompa.

+1

frompa

• Bristles
« Reply #97 on: August 04, 2014, 07:07:53 PM »
Samala and Hedge_87 - Thanks for the tips.  I also have to work around my sweetie's nut allergy -- no almond or other nut flours or milks -- but I'm looking forward to checking out your recipe suggestions. 

Samala

« Reply #98 on: August 04, 2014, 08:20:18 PM »
Oh boy, that does present a challenge.  I've had good luck with coconut flour in some recipes, but a tree nut issue ups the difficulty level considerably (and sometimes tree nut and coconut allergies go hand in hand as I understand).  If you really loved baking before though you might find the challenge fun.  I often have a friend who has a serious egg allergy over for dinner.. always interesting trying to come up with treats both he and I can eat!  :) There are some nut free recipes out there - brittanyangell.com and againstallgrain.com come to mind as being a bit more nut-free-friendly. 

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #99 on: August 11, 2014, 08:13:34 AM »

Bob, Take a look at an amazing, and huge body of work on this topic, that was just published recently. It is "The Paleo Approach, Reverse Autoimmune Disease and Heal Your Body"  By Sarah Ballantyne, PHD.

I have nearly disabling issues with Asthma. Since the beginning of this year, I am down 48lbs, and 8" on the waist, by following a strict Autoimmune Paleo protocol. I can totally control my asthma based on diet, to the point that I can pin minor episodes to recent (within hours to a day, or so) and very low consumption of " not recommended" irritants. I haven't been this healthy in years, and my BP and blood sugar levels are way down, and in the low end of the healthy range. The first half of the book is an exhausting review of current science concerning leaky gut, and other factors that lead to these diseases. The other half is a how to guide to getting your health back.

Having spent seven years heading down the road of trying to find a cure using traditional experts, I can safely say that Ballantyne's research is not only life changing for me, but that typical modern medicine is totally lost when dealing with autoimmune diseases. I ended up wasting years of my life listening to those that are both clueless, and useless in providing anything but temporary symptom relief.  Good luck.

Thank you for that book lead!   My wife had an episode this weekend.   She knows about the anti wheat idea and has started to adopt my salad and meat lunches,  eggs no toast breakfast and bunches of veggies and meat dinners.   But we were on vacation and that all pretty much went out the window.   

I'll buy her a copy of the book as some of my family looks at me like I'm crazy when I mention the connection between what we eat and our health.   They don't get how wheat can make you allergic to beef and pork.   

We will be reinvigorating our healthy paleo eating now that we are off the beach buffet plan. 

Thanks so much!