Author Topic: Our Mustachian Sacred Cows  (Read 112945 times)

Eric

• Magnum Stache
Re: Our Mustachian Sacred Cows
« Reply #150 on: April 07, 2015, 12:14:45 PM »
71. Buying in bulk is inherently flawed economical thinking since no one should have the space to store more than they need at any given time.

Gotta quibble with this one Ricky.  MMM is a Costco fiend and he's written a few different times that buying in bulk is the way to go.  As it should be.  Like in the Wealth Advice That Should Be Obvious article:

Quote from: MMM
8. You Stock Up When Things are On Sale

In Canada, cheese is very expensive. 200-300% of what we pay in the US. But everyone still eats it. This summer, the country’s largest grocery chain had a sale on cheese, where it went down to US-like prices. This has never happened before.

“Wow, look at that”, my brother marveled, as he threw one pack into his shopping cart. “Good deal!”

What is missing in this picture?

Cheese lasts at least 3 months if you keep it closed in the fridge. His family uses about 1 pound per week. So the correct amount to put into the cart is twelve pounds of cheese, not one pound.

You must apply this philosophy in all areas of life, whenever presented with savings on an item you already use. It minimizes both the time and cost of shopping.

Hank Sinatra

• Stubble
« Reply #151 on: April 07, 2015, 12:19:05 PM »
Can't believe I missed this thread the first time around!

#36 Buying the latest tech gadget or smartphone is a terrible waste of money, it's always better to own an old flip phone and use 3 minutes of talk time per month

THREE minutes?! Some people just can't keep their mouths shut. What? Are they runnin' an answering service or something?

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #152 on: April 07, 2015, 12:21:48 PM »
71. Buying in bulk is inherently flawed economical thinking since no one should have the space to store more than they need at any given time.

Gotta quibble with this one Ricky.  MMM is a Costco fiend and he's written a few different times that buying in bulk is the way to go.  As it should be.  Like in the Wealth Advice That Should Be Obvious article:

Quote from: MMM
8. You Stock Up When Things are On Sale

In Canada, cheese is very expensive. 200-300% of what we pay in the US. But everyone still eats it. This summer, the country’s largest grocery chain had a sale on cheese, where it went down to US-like prices. This has never happened before.

“Wow, look at that”, my brother marveled, as he threw one pack into his shopping cart. “Good deal!”

What is missing in this picture?

Cheese lasts at least 3 months if you keep it closed in the fridge. His family uses about 1 pound per week. So the correct amount to put into the cart is twelve pounds of cheese, not one pound.

You must apply this philosophy in all areas of life, whenever presented with savings on an item you already use. It minimizes both the time and cost of shopping.

I suspect that the "bandwagon" is when people just buy things in bulk regardless of whether it's a smoking deal just because they are already at Costco.  Then, when the smoking deal hits, they already have 2 years supply locked in at a higher price.  I definitely use the Costco app to see what the sales are next month and delay purchases if necessary, even if it means pooping more at work.

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #153 on: April 07, 2015, 12:28:22 PM »
#80 - Money gained through inheritance shouldn't count and living at home means you're a parasitic leach. Only those who've earned EVERY dime on their own with NO help from anyone else pass without scorn.

#81 - If you use air conditioning, you're a wuss.

Cougar

• Bristles
« Reply #154 on: April 07, 2015, 01:07:13 PM »

Removing my comments as its turning into a thread hijack. Whatever a person's personal sacred cow has meaning to them.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 11:30:09 AM by Cougar »

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #155 on: April 07, 2015, 01:21:04 PM »

Doesnt apply to those in texa, louisianna, arizona or most of the south/southwest.

Actually, especially in such places! You must learn to ADAPT and thrive in whatever climate!

TonyPlush

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #156 on: April 07, 2015, 02:48:34 PM »
82) If something costs money, it's not worth experiencing.

Taking a free walk in the park or reading a library book is always more fulfilling than attending an event with an entry fee or a taking a vacation that doesn't involve sleeping in a tent.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #157 on: April 07, 2015, 03:31:43 PM »
#78 Adult children shall never be financially subsidized.

78a. Paying for your child's college will make them a do-nothing low-life incapable of financial independence.

Cougar

• Bristles
« Reply #158 on: April 07, 2015, 03:36:12 PM »

Doesnt apply to those in texa, louisianna, arizona or most of the south/southwest.

Actually, especially in such places! You must learn to ADAPT and thrive in whatever climate!

Removing my comments as its turning into a thread hijack. Whatever a person's personal sacred cow has meaning to them.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 11:29:53 AM by Cougar »

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #159 on: April 07, 2015, 03:45:31 PM »

well, you come on down to Houston in July and August and show me how its done; i got a nice patio.

At least it's a dry heat

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #160 on: April 07, 2015, 03:57:03 PM »
#83 - Working one more year is crazy. FIRE should not be delayed. You can always work a side hustle or become a greeter at Walmart if necessary.

OddOne

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #161 on: April 07, 2015, 03:59:52 PM »
Your emergency fund should consist of a couple of $20s and the change under the couch cushions. If you keep any more than that in a low-risk, low-return account, you're a maroon who doesn't understand investing.

HYSTERICAL!!

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #162 on: April 07, 2015, 03:59:55 PM »

It's not a matter of adapting to a bit of uncomfortableness. People die from the heat in Arizona:
http://www.dem.azdema.gov/preparedness/docs/coop/mitplan/24_Extreme_Heat.pdf

Others at significant risk are the low income populations who do not have air conditioning, and in many cases do not even have evaporative coolers. The lack of air conditioning means this population, like the homeless, is also lacking night time relief from the heat, elevating their risk of heat stress or other complications.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #163 on: April 07, 2015, 06:20:27 PM »

It's not a matter of adapting to a bit of uncomfortableness. People die from the heat in Arizona:
http://www.dem.azdema.gov/preparedness/docs/coop/mitplan/24_Extreme_Heat.pdf

If you die, you definitely fall into the wuss category.

Elliot

• Bristles
« Reply #164 on: April 07, 2015, 06:33:48 PM »
If your shoes and clothing come from anywhere but goodwill or the neighbor's dumpster, you're a moron. And don't even think about accessories, or you will become a pillar of salt.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #165 on: April 07, 2015, 06:48:45 PM »
People challenging the sacred cows clearly don't understand this thread.

If that was you in the last few posts, pause and think. :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

brooklynmoney

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #166 on: April 07, 2015, 07:31:32 PM »
I can't believe I haven't seen this one yet. Aldi is the only sane place to buy groceries (disclosure: have never even seen let alone been to an Aldi)

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #167 on: April 07, 2015, 08:00:43 PM »

I think the heat is getting to me...

cavewoman

• Pencil Stache
  • I'm a woman who likes caves
« Reply #168 on: April 07, 2015, 09:15:48 PM »
Mention anything even rhyming with feminism and the thread will devolve into an argument between the same  3 people that mirrors the feminism argument from a billionty other threads.

Uh oh.

That might not be a sacred cow in terms of philosophy but I've definitely found it to be true!

CU Tiger

• Bristles
« Reply #169 on: April 07, 2015, 09:24:19 PM »

well, you come on down to Houston in July and August and show me how its done; i got a nice patio.

I have lived 98% of my life South of the Mason-Dixon Line, and when Northerners and Europeans talk smack about my a/c habits, I ignore them. They know not of what they speak. My inlaws live in Germany and think we are soft for having a/c, but they also will not visit in the summer.

And my cousins in TX say July and August in the DFW area is, and I quote, "hotter than the hinges of Hades."

So yeah, I will enjoy the cool, dehumidified air, and pay for the privilege.

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #170 on: April 08, 2015, 06:34:31 AM »
^ C'mon folks, let's flex those frugality (and humor) muscles...I live in FL, use AC, and am a wuss!

#87 - It is best to adopt a low-information diet and avoid any news. PBS science shows are ok.

Dances With Fire

• Stubble
« Reply #171 on: April 08, 2015, 09:24:26 AM »
Did anyone mention Boats?....You should never, ever, buy a boat. "Wasted money" even if your family grew up on the water, enjoyed tubing with the kids, water-skiing,beach-combing,fishing, cruising, sailing, or exploring the world.

Could the same be said for snow skiing equipment and expensive lift tickets?

Mr. FI

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Fi Under the Big Sky
« Reply #172 on: April 08, 2015, 11:10:05 AM »

I have lived 98% of my life South of the Mason-Dixon Line, and when Northerners and Europeans talk smack about my a/c habits, I ignore them. They know not of what they speak. My inlaws live in Germany and think we are soft for having a/c, but they also will not visit in the summer.

And my cousins in TX say July and August in the DFW area is, and I quote, "hotter than the hinges of Hades."

So yeah, I will enjoy the cool, dehumidified air, and pay for the privilege.

No fight from me there. I went down to Texas last May. It was 34 deg when we took off in Montana and it was 96 when we landed in Austin. I was wearing a winter coat getting off the plane haha. The humidity alone is rough. We went down to the Valley and stayed with my wife's grandparents, who have no A/C just ceiling fans. Sleeping in 79 deg is doable, but I didn't sleep well! If a breeze comes up, I can deal but the nights were dead calm. I don't envy you.

BBub

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #173 on: April 08, 2015, 11:29:43 AM »
#88.  Holding on to sentimental items is basically hoarding and will land you in the poorhouse.  It's always prudent to sell off family heirlooms to buy vanguard index funds.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #174 on: April 08, 2015, 02:02:02 PM »
#88.  Holding on to sentimental items is basically hoarding and will land you in the poorhouse.  It's always prudent to sell off family heirlooms to buy vanguard index funds.

I'm in the middle of selling a 20 year old comic book collection.  One issue I bought in 1995 for $10 just landed me $300 on Ebay.  The other hundred or so comics - I'll get for $1-$2 each.  I'm pretty sure the home run I hit is speculation due to a Marvel movie coming out soon.

#89: The great outdoors is the only entertainment and exercise you need - nevermind that the blog owner lives in a picturesque landscape of milk, honey, and mountainous bike trails.

fartface

• Bristles
    • money apple
« Reply #175 on: April 08, 2015, 06:44:23 PM »
LOL...No idea if these have been posted yet, but here goes:

#90 "If you have to brake, you've made a mistake!" (Hypermilling)

#91 "If it's yellow, let it mellow -- don't flush 'er down until it's brown!"

« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 06:46:46 PM by fartface »

Krolik

• Stubble
« Reply #176 on: April 09, 2015, 09:39:34 AM »
I don't think this one has been covered...

You can only cut your own hair ! Cutting and dyeing your hair at the salon is a big NO NO ...;-)

Better Change

• Stubble
« Reply #177 on: April 09, 2015, 10:04:36 AM »
Showering on a daily basis is a waste of water.  Same with laundering pants more than twice a year.

shedinator

• Bristles
« Reply #178 on: April 09, 2015, 10:27:57 AM »
One square of single ply toilet paper is all it takes. Every time.

marketnonsenses

« Reply #179 on: April 09, 2015, 11:13:43 AM »
Tiny houses can accommodate a family of any size.
If the square footage of your house is four numbers you live in a McMansion and should downsize to a tent within walking distance to work on land you can rent parts to other tents to pay the land mortgage.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #180 on: April 09, 2015, 01:17:04 PM »

OopS forgot which thread I was in.

Sacred cow: stop and think before you post

freebeer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #181 on: April 09, 2015, 01:33:42 PM »
#78 Adult children shall never be financially subsidized.

78a. Paying for your child's college will make them a do-nothing low-life incapable of financial independence.

78a(1). Paying for your child to go to an expensive private college is as ridiculous as driving a Hummer, no matter how "elite" the college or their chosen field of study.

whydavid

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #182 on: April 09, 2015, 02:01:00 PM »
Dave Ramsey is just a pussy version of MMM and face-punches with gloves on so he doesn't hurt his soft, arthritic, wrinkly, old, infirm hands

Giving to charity before FI is a waste.  Don't those starving kids understand that by forgoing a bowl of rice today they could have 1.07^20 bowls of rice in 2035?

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #183 on: April 09, 2015, 02:07:21 PM »
Dave Ramsey is just a pussy version of MMM and face-punches with gloves on so he doesn't hurt his soft, arthritic, wrinkly, old, infirm hands

Giving to charity before FI is a waste.  Don't those starving kids understand that by forgoing a bowl of rice today they could have 1.07^20 bowls of rice in 2035?

Just reduce your need for a bowl of rice.  Now you eat less rice, and consequently need an even smaller rice stache.  It's like a double edged rice sword.

El Marinero

• Stubble
« Reply #184 on: April 09, 2015, 04:55:07 PM »
  Sometimes this forum comes across a bit cultish.

I think that could be said of most or all internet forums. 

grundomatic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #185 on: April 09, 2015, 09:52:42 PM »
The only acceptable way to dry your clothes is to sew them into a sail which you put onto the mast you welded onto your bicycle.

Of course you know how to to sew and weld: a)what the hell else have you been doing since canceling your cable, and b)you must maintain your own stuff. See previous cows.

And what about a headwind? Self imposed challenges are great for you, and great fun too!

DoubleDown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #186 on: April 10, 2015, 10:49:25 AM »

LOL

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #187 on: April 10, 2015, 11:36:47 AM »
The only acceptable way to dry your clothes is to sew them into a sail which you put onto the mast you welded onto your bicycle.

+1

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #188 on: April 10, 2015, 05:40:19 PM »

Of course you know how to to sew and weld: a)what the hell else have you been doing since canceling your cable, and b)you must maintain your own stuff. See previous cows.

And what about a headwind? Self imposed challenges are great for you, and great fun too!

Solid 8th post grundomatic.  I nominate your post as best-in-thread.   Do I get any seconds?

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #189 on: April 10, 2015, 05:46:07 PM »
Second that.

BBub

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #190 on: April 10, 2015, 06:56:46 PM »
Yes that post was epically hilarious. Mad props.

NaturallyHappier

• Stubble
  • FIRED 3/10/2017
« Reply #191 on: April 10, 2015, 07:32:37 PM »
How did I miss this thread before now?  This is the best thread ever.

These should be compiled in one place and entitle the "Mustachien Commandments"!

You know....thou shalt...

wordnerd

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #192 on: April 10, 2015, 08:05:55 PM »
A wedding should cost no more than the license fees + homemade lentil cake.

shedinator

• Bristles
« Reply #193 on: April 10, 2015, 09:42:00 PM »
You should never buy juice at a store. Paying for any beverage is ridiculous. Grow your own fruit, and juice it. No, not with a juicer: single-purpose appliances are stupid. Juice your fruits by hand. Punch each and every one in the face and let its juice and pulp fall directly into your mouth. Bonus points if the fruit you are juicing produces a red liquid so you can look like you are slaking your thirst on the blood of your enemies.

onwisconsin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #194 on: April 11, 2015, 03:34:04 PM »
Sheets and towels should only be washed once every six months.  Only wimps are concerned with dead skin cells and a funky smell.

Cleaning?  Nope, get down and LICK that floor to build up your immune system, weakling.

BBub

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #195 on: April 11, 2015, 05:13:21 PM »
You should never buy juice at a store. Paying for any beverage is ridiculous. Grow your own fruit, and juice it. No, not with a juicer: single-purpose appliances are stupid. Juice your fruits by hand. Punch each and every one in the face and let its juice and pulp fall directly into your mouth. Bonus points if the fruit you are juicing produces a red liquid so you can look like you are slaking your thirst on the blood of your enemies.

Fruit out of season? Fast, wuss.

andystkilda

• Stubble
« Reply #196 on: April 11, 2015, 06:21:25 PM »
This is the funniest thread I've seen on this forum!

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #197 on: April 12, 2015, 07:48:34 AM »
Insourcing is always better than outsourcing. Cleaning your own house is every bit as rewarding and profitable as building the house yourself or designing and making your own clothing. If you don't derive gratification from vacuuming your own carpet, you just don't understand MMM.

Unique User

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #198 on: April 15, 2015, 08:50:19 AM »
Cleaning?  Nope, get down and LICK that floor to build up your immune system, weakling.

I just spit coffee all over my laptop.  I love this thread. 

gillstone

• Bristles
« Reply #199 on: April 15, 2015, 03:36:24 PM »
#¯\_(ツ)_/¯: Once you hit the FI point you must quit your job even if you love doing what you get paid for.