Author Topic: Oops... Over the MAGI limit & Traditional IRA Contribution question  (Read 2485 times)

jalich

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Hi all,

I have 4k invested in my Traditional IRA. I thought our MAGI would be under the income limit for deductibility for this year, however a larger than expected bonus and pay raise is going to put us completely over the deduction limit. If I had known this from the start, I would have contributed to a Roth IRA. Don't get me wrong, it's a great problem to have!

Do I have any options to "move" this contribution to a Roth IRA contribution? Or do I just suck it up, add the remainder to max to a Roth IRA and deal with my losses. Going forward next year I'll just contribute to a Roth.

Thanks!

P.S. Big thanks to MMM and this forum. The phrase "life-changing" gets kicked around a lot, but this time it actually is!

SailAway

• Stubble
Re: Oops... Over the MAGI limit & Traditional IRA Contribution question
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 06:35:40 PM »
You can recharacterize it into a Roth. Just call your investment company and they can take care of it. I was hoping our MAGI would be low enough for the traditional deduction but alas, we made too much. First world problems.

Joel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 07:00:57 PM »
Could you increase your 401k contributions?

jalich

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 07:10:44 PM »
SailAway,
Thanks! I'll call them up next week.

Joel,
We will be maxed, but 401(k) contributions don't reduce your MAGI as I understand it.

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2014, 07:35:52 PM »
SailAway,
Thanks! I'll call them up next week.

Joel,
We will be maxed, but 401(k) contributions don't reduce your MAGI as I understand it.

Jalich, your understanding is incorrect. Maybe recalculate everything before you recharacterize.

401k contributions are a pre-tax deduction that decrease your taxable income before it ever reaches your tax return.

Joel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2014, 08:29:35 PM »
As cheddar mentioned, your traditional 401k contributions do reduce your AGI and ultimately your MAGI. Are you sure you are over the limit?