Author Topic: One person's trash is another's treasure  (Read 9332 times)

boyerbt

• Bristles
One person's trash is another's treasure
« on: April 19, 2017, 08:39:26 AM »
I was driving home through my neighborhood yesterday and noticed that there were two nice wooden Adirondack chairs near the curb. I have wanted a couple of these for some time now but haven't pulled the trigger because of the cost and my current lounge chairs for the backyard work just fine. So I hop out of the car and take a look at the chairs - no real issues. The chairs definitely need a little TLC in the way of a fresh coat of paint but other than they they are great. Just to be safe I knocked on the front door and confirmed that the chairs were up for grabs. My neighbor said that they were getting old and worn out and free to a good home.

The best part was that I couldn't fit the chairs in my car as I drive a small coupe. So I left my car there and carried the two chairs about a 1/3rd of a mile to my house and then walked back for my car.

What have you found and/or salvaged that someone else was just going to throw away?

Bobberth

• Bristles
Re: One person's trash is another's treasure
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 10:03:53 AM »
Our trash day is Monday so it's a great way to get me out of bed for an early morning run on a normally tough day. My latest find was a nice yard spreader that I just needed to add a nut and bolt to and it works great. Listed my not as good spreader that I retrieved from the trash 2 years ago on the neighborhood buy/sale/trade page.

My favorite was the 1 gift we gave my oldest child for her first birthday was an alley find. It was a plastic kitchen playset that we washed up, painted and was better than new.

nick663

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 10:09:37 AM »
I have now found 3 treadmills in the garbage over a span of 4 years.  Latest one (last week) seemed to have a speed sensor problem and was missing a few parts so I disassembled it and listed the parts on ebay on monday.  Sold the motor last night for $40 and will be over $200 when everything is gone.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 10:23:58 AM »
We got a treadmill when a tenant left it behind at my MIL's rental property. DH brought it home (in his paid-for truck) intending to take it to work. It needed some TLC but no parts. Over the course of a week, DH tweaked it until it ran like the almost-new, fancy-pants treadmill that it is. Now, whenever I can't find him, he's out in the garage on the treadmill. I don't think it's going to his workplace any time soon. It's yet another reason why I doubt that our 1050 sf garage will ever be a place for parking cars. FWP, indeed!

stoaX

• Handlebar Stache
  • 'tis nothing good nor bad but thinking makes it so
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2017, 10:27:05 AM »
My wife found two floor lamps and a 2 foot high wicker vase put out in the trash.  I cleaned the lamps, did nothing to the vase, and sold them at a consignment store. 

Fire2025

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2017, 11:41:12 AM »
We have a saying in our house, if we want something, "The alley will provide". 

Over the years we have gotten some really cool stuff.  Not all out of the actual "alley," but the theory almost always works. 

Recently we were given four really beautiful Vintage Persian and Afghan rugs.  I had been thinking of actually spending money on used rugs because the new house has all wood floors, but while waiting and looking, "the alley provided".  WooHoo!!!

nouveauRiche

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2017, 11:52:33 AM »

Ha.  In alley we trust.  ;)

We used to have a giant, heavy CRT TV.  I joked to DH that we could never move houses because the TV was too heavy.  The remote stopped working but we still didn't bother to replace that TV. 

Then some lovely neighbors decided to upgrade their flat screen to a bigger, nicer flat screen.  They offered us their "old" (brand new looking) one.  Of course, we accepted.  I offered them some money but they declined.  [They know we're trying to FIRE so we weren't "playing poor" with them.]  It can be lifted with one hand.  I love that thing.

Fish Sweet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2017, 12:01:09 PM »
My mattress.

Yup.  I'd just moved into my first apartment during college, and needed a bed.  And lo and behold, one night someone dropped off a super plush and fancy mattress in our apartment complex courtyard.  It was pretty clean looking, had a few leaves on it, and after a thorough vacuum and scrubbing I've been using it for the last 7 years.

My desk, chair, a shelf, and a few other things are also street finds.  The joys of living in a college town, back in the day.

NV Teacher

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2017, 05:21:04 PM »
My best find has been a mission style rocking chair made of quarter sawn oak.  I glued the rockers back on and have had it for about 20 years now. 

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2017, 05:31:46 PM »
Not that I'm opposed to taking home trash, but lately I've been doing the opposite.  I've gotten rid of lots of dishware and glassware, some serving trays, flower vases, and other random items just by sitting them out at the curb.

If any of you want something specific, let me know.  :)  I'll be attempting to downsize my 2 bd apartment to 2 backpacks over the next ~2 years.

LiveLean

• Pencil Stache
    • ToLiveLean
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2017, 05:31:56 PM »
We live on a fairly busy road and our trash day is Monday. No matter what I leave out on Sunday afternoon, it will disappear.

Over the 18 years we've been in our home we've remodeled every bathroom and have, on separate occasions, put out the old toilets: two pinkish, one teal.

They've been gone within hours.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2017, 05:39:02 PM »
We have a district wide "Trash to Treasure" day coming up when everyone from I think 5-6 towns? All put out their stuff.

We have scored well over the years. Mostly brand new BBQ's full almost brand new patio set (table, umbrella, 8 chairs, all the cushions) Leather couch that just needed a bit of leather conditioning. side tables brand new 2x4's, antique chairs, book cases

I'm hoping for an exercise bike this year!

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2017, 07:44:50 PM »
Man, this is making me miss my old neighborhood where people put out free items pretty often. I have plenty of yard sale/thrift store finds, but in terms of discards...hmm. My laundry hamper was in the spot near the dumpster where people put out things when they are moving. I have a pretty box that was part of a centerpiece at a lunch I went to, that I keep files in. A few vases salvaged from flower arrangements...My SIL was downsizing her kitchen and I saved her Pyrex casserole pan as mine had just broken. My best giveaway recently was that I had bought two IKEA patio chairs that just were not comfortable for me, and I had decided to replace them. I put the old ones out in the dumpster zone, thinking that since all the units in my complex have patios and not everyone has furniture, someone might like them. They were gone a couple hours later, to my delight. I walked around later trying to spot them, but did not find them.

Roadsidetreasurehunter

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2017, 09:29:47 PM »
I have been known to cruise my neighborhood Monday evenings and collect whatever I find, clean it up and resell it.   In 2015 I made $2500 cash from roadside finds.   In 2013 I collected and saved my finds for annual neighborhood garage sale and made $1000 selling back to the neighborhood.....absolutely hilarious, profitable and recycling.

nouveauRiche

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2017, 11:24:00 AM »
I have been known to cruise my neighborhood Monday evenings and collect whatever I find, clean it up and resell it.   In 2015 I made $2500 cash from roadside finds.   In 2013 I collected and saved my finds for annual neighborhood garage sale and made $1000 selling back to the neighborhood.....absolutely hilarious, profitable and recycling.

This is badass!  Good on you.

Drole

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2017, 12:47:16 PM »

I totally agree.  Sometimes when I get lost going somewhere.....and voila.....treasure.

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2017, 01:40:33 PM »
Last summer during "move season" I scored a fancy trash can, two wire bins that I use for laundry stuff now, and a pair of cleats for DH.

hudsoncat

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2017, 02:31:00 PM »
My best was a 37" Flat screen TV. At the time we were using an old 19"CRT TV that husband had picked up from a neighbor when he went to college. Person who put it by the dumpster even taped the remote to the side and put on a note that said, "Free, works great, just have too many TVs" Okay then. We used it for several years until a family member gave us their (only a year) old TV that just wasn't big enough (It's something ridiculous like 56"), so we gifted the free one on to someone else, still going strong as far as I know.

We lived in a college town for several years, we'd picked up all kinds of things at the end of the spring semester. Lot's of Rubbermaid type totes and drawers. Those have come in handy. Some shelves that work great in our garage. A desk that I'm still using. It's not always the highest quality stuff, but if it gets the job done, the price is right!

The Guru

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2017, 08:38:17 PM »
I'm big into gardening, so I was happy to score several moss-lined hanging baskets and a small plant stand. I've also scored four bikes in some state of disrepair (it's tragic the way people shit-can salvageable bikes). I had designs on swapping the double chainring on my commuter for a triple, or making one good bike out of 2 but I need another bike like I need a third row of teeth. So I scavenged a couple wheels, some decent tires and a seat; the remains will go to the local co-op. So not much personal benefit, but at least they're out of the trash and hopefully back on the road for someone eventually.

sith02

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2017, 02:59:18 AM »
For the vehicles dad and I fix/build, junk yard usually give interesting finds.

RelaxedGal

• Bristles
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2017, 12:53:57 PM »
Toilet paper holder.  My bathroom has the holder in a weird place that works but is just awkward.  I never would have bought one but a neighbor put it out in the recycling, the recycler took it out (you can't recycle waste metal, just cans) and the trash had already been picked up so it was still there in the afternoon.  Score!  Even better, it holds 3 rolls of toilet paper so my little one can put a fresh roll on rather than being dependent on an adult getting one down from the top shelf.

Drole

• Stubble
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2017, 01:31:08 PM »
'the alley provides'

Yesterday's find: brand new reusable grocery bag. I'm low on them since we took off to travel and hate to buy them. Only cost $1, but free for me. :)

Mr Dumpster Stache

• Stubble
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2017, 02:46:23 PM »
Once I pulled an extension cord out of a dumpster, went over to the pawn shop and sold it for $5. They didn't even plug it in to see if it worked.

My wife hits the local community college and the state university on moveout week to get her year's supply of shampoo, toothpaste, peanut butter and microwave meals. Students throw out entire cases of mac and cheese.

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2017, 03:29:19 PM »
I work from home. My current office desk is free - someone at CL said come to our office and grab this 5ft desk, we do not want it anymore. Perfect! I need a big desk for my triple monitors, phone, scanners, etc. It was just sitting there in their break area collecting dust.  I remember they were telling me noone wanted the desk, and they were getting ready to put it in the trash, so not technically one person's trash, but close enough. They even help carried the desk into my SUV.

alewpanda

• Bristles
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2017, 09:40:53 AM »
Over the years I have scored:

Fancy brand duffel that hubby uses for work trips

Textbooks and clothing that I still wear years later from a dorm floor free box in college

Metal porch chair

Small standing shelf  (I carried that one home while walking a large dog....)

Large mirror

Brand new boxes for shipping ebay stuff

Umbrella

Not crazy impressive, but I still use most of them!

PhrugalPhan

• Bristles
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2017, 10:14:24 AM »
I've had a number of finds over the years.  Maybe the best is my bedroom dresser.  Was left out at the curb and was in awful shape.  I spent evenings over a month fixing a few drawers, sanding off what was left of the stain and lacquer and re-stained it and gave it a few clear coats.  It was some high end custom built piece, with each drawer having separate pockets built into the framework.  Even has special sock and underwear mini drawers.  I love having that.

I've gotten dishes, cookware, a pick axe, clothing drying racks, books, DVDs, winter jackets / gloves / hats (people seem to leave them behind when they move south), pizza pan, son's dresser, suitcases.

This fall I got a new 32" flat screen for free, but it was from a friend at work that got it for free as a bonus with a Best Buy purchase.  For him would be a down grade, but for me I was able to get rid of that 70 lbs CRT and upgrade.  What a deal.

YK-Phil

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2017, 10:16:34 AM »
I've been living in Yellowknife since the late 90s. Our dump is very unique, like the community itself, and has even been the subject of several documentaries and stories and has earned an international reputation of some sort. The people who salvage there represent a very interesting slice of society: on any given day, you will find policemen, welders, homeless folks, lawyers, engineers, recyclers, politicians, regular joes, dads with kids, hipsters, all looking for the elusive treasure. Yellowknife is a very tight-knit community, but it is also very transient, with people moving up for work for an average on 2 or 3-year stints. Because of its remoteness and the cost of shipping/moving, it usually doesn't make sense to take everything back with you when you move out, so practically everything ends up at the dump. But don't be fooled, people don't throw trash at the dump, they bring stuff they can't take with them or that they didn't have time to sell, knowing very well almost everything will be reused, recycled or repurposed. Saturday afternoons in the summer are the best time to hang out at the dump, as in the morning, people sell their treasures in dozens of garage sales across our little city. In the afternoon, they'll unload to the dump everything that didn't sell in the morning.

http://salvagemovie.com/about-the-film/

Over the years, I got a long list of treasures from the dump: cowboy hats (resold on eBay for $75 a piece), camera equipment (also resold on eBay), jeans and clothing from a fashion shop that closed down, Canada Goose jackets, Sorel extreme cold weather boots, hand and electrical tools, wood, steel siding, bags of nails and screws, a gas ice auger, bicycles and parts, kitchen appliances, pots, pans, dishes and utensils, car parts and accessories, etc. My best find was a double kayak in perfect condition, with paddles and flotation jackets, that the owner had not been able to sell before leaving town later that same evening. I was there at the right time and the right place and just moved it from his pickup truck to mine.

Summer is approaching and soon, our dump will come back to life after a long and dark winter. I can't wait, I am planning to build a cabin entirely from materials recycled from the dump!

frugalmom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2017, 10:43:34 AM »
One day I grabbed a bike from the trash at the house across the street.  It looked ok.  After a couple weeks I realized I wouldn't have enough time to fix it up.  So.....out to my curb it went.

My other neighbor a few houses down calls and asks why it's in the trash and if he can have it.  Of course!

He fixed it up for his son's friend who had no bike.  I see the kid peddling it down the street at least 3 times a week.  Awesome!

PhrugalPhan

• Bristles
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2017, 01:21:01 PM »
One day I grabbed a bike from the trash at the house across the street.  It looked ok.  After a couple weeks I realized I wouldn't have enough time to fix it up.  So.....out to my curb it went.

My other neighbor a few houses down calls and asks why it's in the trash and if he can have it.  Of course!

He fixed it up for his son's friend who had no bike.  I see the kid peddling it down the street at least 3 times a week.  Awesome!
Reminds me of the neighbor throwing out their old mower.  The deck was rusted through bad, but I wanted the other good parts from it.  So I took it apart, took the deck to recycling, and was left with the engine that I would likely never use but hated to toss.  A year later there was a request on Freecycle for a mower engine (need not work) for a kid taking a engine repair class in HS.  I happily gave it to the father.

VeggieTable

• Stubble
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2017, 05:04:54 PM »
The two best vacuums we've ever owned are ones we picked up next to the dumpster in our apartment building. We moved out of that apt over 3 years ago and still have one of those vacuums. It's so much better than any we ever paid money for.

Another great find was a DVD of A Charlie Brown Christmas in a box marked "FREE" with a bunch of other DVDs and books in front of someone's house. I'd been looking for it for months hoping to get it used. We were actually on vacation, so I carried it in my suitcase all the way home.

Fi(re) on the Farm

• Bristles
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2017, 05:16:25 PM »
Over the years I've picked up quite a bit of stuff along the roadside, table, chairs, a copper boiler that I put newspaper in, toys for the kids.  These days I'm trying to get rid of what I don't want. While I could probably sell it, most of my stuff someone has given me when I truly needed it so I pass it on.  We have a painted free sign that we put out with stuff on a regular basis. I've actually had people almost come to blows over 4 matching dining room chairs! Bonus points because my snooty neighbor worries that my free sign lowers the class of the neighborhood!

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2017, 05:49:48 PM »
How about a vehicle?

Mechanic told the owner it needed a new engine. Actually it was clogged up with oil deposits b/c the mechanic probably wasn't doing the oil changes he was getting paid to do.

Brought it home, cleaned it ALOT and I know for a fact it is still running and being driven daily. Just took a bunch of oil changes to wash out the engine.

Roadsidetreasurehunter

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2017, 06:59:34 PM »
My best score was a Henry Link wicker bedroom collection of a dresser, 2 nightstands and headboard.  I couldn't get it all in my car at one time so I just took all the drawers out from the dresser and nightstands thinking no nobody else would take it with the drawers gone.  I then ran them home and went back to collect the rest.  It was beautiful. 

I also did this with a nice loveseat, I couldn't lift by myself, so I took the cushions, then went back with a friend. 

I ended up selling it all.  I love to flip roadside finds.

Carless

• Stubble
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2017, 07:20:57 PM »
We have a large frying pan with a huge lid.  Since it's used every day, the lid was always in the way, so I wanted a rack (like a towel rack) which we could attach to the wall beside the stove and stick the lid in.  I found a super nice one (machined stainless steel) out on the curb.  Boy, is that thing solid.  It grabs onto the lid handle perfectly!

Also, I've found salvage from subdivision construction - some old lumber which I made into a cheese press (used car jack for the moving parts), and some giant pots for plants.  Oh, and old bricks from an abandoned and destroyed house, used to prop up a rain barrel.

Hadilly

• Bristles
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2017, 07:45:51 PM »
Found: our paper recycling basket

Two enormous Jimmy Buffett themed adirondak chairs

A Sonneman brass and marble mid century modern lamp

A comfy chintz armchair and ottoman, now residing in the library/ toy room

A blank canvas my kids had fun painting

My neighborhood has a big junk day twice a year and it is well worth cruising around to pick up detritus.

boyerbt

• Bristles
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2017, 09:58:59 AM »
The neighborhood provides again:

We were walking the dogs this morning and a neighbor was pitching two perfectly good metal plant trellises. It was perfect timing as we were talking about how we needed something like this for some vines that we are planting soon....and there you go!

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2017, 10:13:14 AM »
These boxes from the side of the road:

The sofa behind the second box was being thrown out by my youngest stepdaughter and her husband. It had been left behind in the house they bought. It's August Brandt Ranch Oak, built to last and highly collectible.

nouveauRiche

• Bristles
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2017, 09:15:18 PM »
DH just reminded me of this:

A few years ago, we found a few dozen Mad magazines from the 1970s sitting at the top of the stuff in a recycling dumpster, including "If You Don't Buy This Magazine, We'll Kill This Dog" (Jan 1970).  Sold them on ebay for around $180 total.

boyerbt

• Bristles
« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2017, 06:25:04 AM »
So we scored BIG last night. We have a lot of areas around the house that I wanted to fill in with easy to tend to plants so I sent a message to my surrounding neighbors using a online service to see if anyone had any hostas that they would be willing to split. Over the past week I have received numerous messages back about free plants - SCORE!

Moving on to yesterday: my girlfriend and I arrived to one of my neighbors yesterday to split their hostas and they told us that they were going to have a contractor come in and remove everything in the near future so everything was up for grabs. Not only did we score a few hostas but we also came away with several other great flowering plants and a TRUCKLOAD of the large landscaping rocks to line our flower beds. I'm not 100% sure of what we would of had to pay for the rocks but I am guessing a few hundred dollars. We still need to go back tonight to get more of the rocks as I ran out of time and energy but it is definitely worth it for the costs!

Drole

• Stubble
« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2017, 07:47:35 AM »
I left my bike at a friend's house and picked it up this morning....trash day in the rich 'hood.  Rode by a basketball hoop and back board.  Had to take the car back to get it.  Its a bit rusted out on the bottom, but I think still quite usable for my 5 year old. 

contra80

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2017, 08:07:16 AM »
I came across a bundle of golf clubs my neighbor was tossing.  I grabbed them all, some were junk, but several looked different.  After close inspection, I realized they had wooden shafts. After researching the company names/marks on the clubs, these were'a ll early 1900's clubs - some that sell for $1000's a piece. I did some cleanup and minor restoration work and gifted them to my grandfather (an avid golfer his entire life).  By far a better find than most stuff I dig our of trashcans!

Fire2025

• Bristles
« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2017, 01:19:13 PM »
How about a vehicle?

Mechanic told the owner it needed a new engine. Actually it was clogged up with oil deposits b/c the mechanic probably wasn't doing the oil changes he was getting paid to do.

Brought it home, cleaned it ALOT and I know for a fact it is still running and being driven daily. Just took a bunch of oil changes to wash out the engine.

Yes!!!!!!  I totally forgot we scored a 53 metropolitan the same way.  It broke down at my old work in the parking lot.  They let it sit for three years then I called the owner and said you have to pick it up today.....or I'm happy to take it off your hands for free.  He said sure the things been more trouble than it's worth.

SO put in a new break system and we have a super cool ride!!!!

gggggg

• Bristles
« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2017, 07:24:36 AM »
The nice computer desk and chair I'm typing from now were at my neighborhood dumpster. In fact, all of my furniture is either hand me down or trash finds; at 42 yo I've never bought a single piece of furniture.

accolay

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2017, 05:01:23 PM »
A few weeks ago I found a coiled roofing nailer by the garbage. It's needs cleaning and a $20 rebuild kit, but should be good as new once i fix it. They go for over $200 on ebay.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2017, 06:56:38 AM »
We have a district wide "Trash to Treasure" day coming up when everyone from I think 5-6 towns? All put out their stuff.

We have scored well over the years. Mostly brand new BBQ's full almost brand new patio set (table, umbrella, 8 chairs, all the cushions) Leather couch that just needed a bit of leather conditioning. side tables brand new 2x4's, antique chairs, book cases

I'm hoping for an exercise bike this year!
My wife scored a nice recliner type exercise bike years ago. It has an all plastic display
mounted on a steel post, perfectly placed were you might want to use it as a grab handle.
I think the previous owner did that and broke it. I looked at repairing it, but the pcb was to badly damaged. I looked into buying a new display and was pleasantly surprised to see it was only $26, shipped. I think we have had it about 8 years now. She also picked up an elliptical
trainer with a non-working display. That dispaly is much more expensive, so I never replaced the display, but it is still very usable.