Author Topic: Obamacare survives  (Read 66434 times)

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Obamacare survives
« Reply #250 on: August 09, 2015, 03:52:34 PM »
The main reason she gets her health care cheaply is because Poland is not a rich country.  She probably also gets food, housing, and transportation pretty cheaply there too.
Poland is not cheap for the people that live there. Even though everything costs less then for us in the states they also make a lot less. My DIL does not live there but gets her medical care on visits home.

Appears that you agree with each other on this.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #251 on: August 09, 2015, 04:22:05 PM »
Poland is a beautiful country to visit & really cheap for Americans. They have their own currency so are not on the Euro. To give you an idea eating in a really, really fancy restaurant lasagna is 8 American dollars & Filet Mignon is 24 ( the most expensive thing on the menu). Duck was somewhere in the middle.  I could live like a King if I retired there:))

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #252 on: August 09, 2015, 05:11:35 PM »
Poland is a beautiful country to visit & really cheap for Americans. They have their own currency so are not on the Euro. To give you an idea eating in a really, really fancy restaurant lasagna is 8 American dollars & Filet Mignon is 24 ( the most expensive thing on the menu). Duck was somewhere in the middle.  I could live like a King if I retired there:))

How well could a person get around if they only spoke English?

beltim

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #253 on: August 09, 2015, 05:15:54 PM »
The main reason she gets her health care cheaply is because Poland is not a rich country.  She probably also gets food, housing, and transportation pretty cheaply there too.
Poland is not cheap for the people that live there. Even though everything costs less then for us in the states they also make a lot less. My DIL does not live there but gets her medical care on visits home.

Appears that you agree with each other on this.

Yup!  I was about to say that everything Cassie said fits with what I said, and vice versa.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #254 on: August 10, 2015, 11:42:03 AM »
Not a ton of people in Poland speak English. Also the bigger the town the more likely to hear some English but in smaller towns not much at all.  When we went to Italy many people spoke English but the cost of living was also much higher. Also I read that Polish is very difficult to learn. They like Americans. Both times we went with my son & DIL so not that big of an issue. Also when traveling without her she would tell us what buses to take, etc.  If we got into a dilemma we would just call her.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #255 on: August 13, 2015, 11:40:08 AM »
This is interesting. Looks like 3 separate studies, including one by a conservative think tank, are saying that the employer mandate to provide coverage has not had any appreciable effect on employment. There was a lot of political noise around this provision, but it looks like the dire warnings didn't come to pass.

President Obama's health-care reform hasn't meant less time on the job for American workers, according to three newly published studies that challenge one of the main arguments raised by critics of the Affordable Care Act.

One provision of the law, which is widely known as Obamacare, requires businesses with more than 50 employees to offer health insurance to those working at least 30 hours a week. That mandate took effect this year.

Republicans, and some Democrats, worried that employers would look for ways to get around the mandate, either by giving their employees fewer than 30 hours, or by hiring fewer people.

Either result would be bad for workers, one reason that Republican nominee Mitt Romney called Obamacare a "job-killer" during the last presidential campaign. Other Republicans issued similarly bleak warnings.

So far, though, researchers say employers have not changed how they hire and schedule their workers in response to the law.

"The data, to date, basically say that that hasn't happened, at least on aggregate basis -- that there really hasn't been nearly the change that some people were expecting," said Chris Ryan, a vice president at the payroll-management firm ADP.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonkblog/wp/2015/08/12/no-obamacare-isnt-killing-full-time-jobs-new-evidence-shows/

I guess it's similar to where the economic theory would say that raising the minimum wage would decrease the supply of minimum wage employment, however in practice the evidence suggests that this is not the case in the real world (for levels similar to today's minimum wage).