Author Topic: Non mustachian me and barely mustachian me are at war  (Read 5175 times)

MrThatsDifferent

• Handlebar Stache
Non mustachian me and barely mustachian me are at war
« on: August 13, 2019, 09:43:03 AM »
My life was recently thrown a curveball and my way of dealing with stuff like that is to switch things up, find a new project and throw myself into that. So, I’ve decided to move closer to work (10 min walk), cut down my commute and have the conveniences of city life all around me. This move is increasing my rent and now I’m thinking of upgrading stuff for my new place cause I plan on living here at least for 5 more years, whereas I thought I was going to be moving in a year. I was planning on ditching all of my cobbled together over the years furniture and replace with nicer versions that all match, a bigger bed and proper bed frame and a bigger tv, cause who doesn't love that?  I was justifying this because the curveball resulted in me having some extra cash that won’t now be going to my original plan, so I have money to burn. At least, that’s how I used to think. Now, I’m torn. Old me thinks this is a great idea and I could make a fantastic, cozy built for me bachelor pad. New, semi-mustachian me is kinda appalled at the idea of spending around $6k to replace all perfectly functional stuff that is aesthetically imperfect. I feel I should know better and this is why I used to not have money. But, now I have money, savings and a plan and this will be my only splurge and it will get me out of a funk. Or will I, 3 months from now be kicking myself when someone points out how that $6k invested would’ve resulted in X and I didn’t need it and MMM himself would slap the shit out of me?

I already know what you face punching bastards are going to say, I’m wondering when, if anytime, is it ok to be needy and splurgy, when you’re feeling like shit and just want some pretty things to distract from the ugly?

Asking for a friend. ;-)

YttriumNitrate

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Non mustachian me and barely mustachian me are at war
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2019, 09:50:00 AM »
I'm okay with you spending that much on furniture for a bachelor pad, but only if you do it like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkVRL2po0Y8

Fru-Gal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2019, 09:52:35 AM »
We all have these moments. However, this "retail therapy" will only be a temporary boost, and then the money's gone. IMHO, fancy furniture is a terrible waste of money, right up there with new cars. Been there, done that.

Ideas:

1. Make a wish list of what you want, even make it fancy with copied pix of the furniture, or a Pinterest board. Then let it sit there. See if in a month you still feel the same way. Also, there are tons of articles in magazines like HGTV magazine that show the low-cost version of a fancy decorator item. Finally, these items may "come to you" in roundabout and surprising ways once you are thinking about them.

2. Beds in frames suck, IMHO. We have a fancy mattress and box spring but it's on the floor and I've never slept better, and it looks great.

3. Large TVs, again, can be found for super cheap these days. Check Craigslist.

4. Maybe sell a few things or give them to charity to justify their replacement.

Tuskalusa

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2019, 09:54:15 AM »
Maybe you could find a compromise. Craig’s list is often brimming with high end furniture that people have decided to “upgrade.”  Maybe get one or two new pieces for your new place, and then supplement with craigslist. I bet you could cut that number in half, at least.

And all of this is assuming you are paying cash, and you have no other consumer/student loan debt. 

jps

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2019, 09:56:04 AM »
I wouldn't do it. $6K on furniture seems like a whole lot of dough to spend on replacing already-functioning-stuff.

What do you think Pete would say here? Would you rather have cool looking furniture for a few years (surely, this furniture will some day be out of style too. Alas!) then have to spend another $6K for newer, cooler looking furniture at that point too?

My motto for buying stuff, especially stuff that I don't need (replacing something that isn't broken) is delay, delay, delay. It can be so tempting to just go all out and buy a bunch of stuff and have a sweet looking pad, but will it make your life better? Will it increase your long term health and happiness? Or are you just falling into consuma sucka trap of the hedonic treadmill?

MrThatsDifferent

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2019, 10:19:29 AM »
I'm okay with you spending that much on furniture for a bachelor pad, but only if you do it like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkVRL2po0Y8

Well now you’ve just led me down an IKEA hole, so thanks for that!

MrThatsDifferent

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2019, 10:22:09 AM »
We all have these moments. However, this "retail therapy" will only be a temporary boost, and then the money's gone. IMHO, fancy furniture is a terrible waste of money, right up there with new cars. Been there, done that.

Ideas:

1. Make a wish list of what you want, even make it fancy with copied pix of the furniture, or a Pinterest board. Then let it sit there. See if in a month you still feel the same way. Also, there are tons of articles in magazines like HGTV magazine that show the low-cost version of a fancy decorator item. Finally, these items may "come to you" in roundabout and surprising ways once you are thinking about them.

2. Beds in frames suck, IMHO. We have a fancy mattress and box spring but it's on the floor and I've never slept better, and it looks great.

3. Large TVs, again, can be found for super cheap these days. Check Craigslist.

4. Maybe sell a few things or give them to charity to justify their replacement.

Yeah, the idea was to sell or give away my existing stuff. But like my bed and tv are only a year old, I just want them both in bigger sizes now. I misjudged the bed and I’ve got tv envy anytime I see a bigger one. Men!

MrThatsDifferent

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2019, 10:23:24 AM »
Maybe you could find a compromise. Craig’s list is often brimming with high end furniture that people have decided to “upgrade.”  Maybe get one or two new pieces for your new place, and then supplement with craigslist. I bet you could cut that number in half, at least.

And all of this is assuming you are paying cash, and you have no other consumer/student loan debt.

This is possible and no, no consumer debt. That’s the part of me that’s fully mustachian

MrThatsDifferent

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2019, 10:26:37 AM »
I wouldn't do it. $6K on furniture seems like a whole lot of dough to spend on replacing already-functioning-stuff.

What do you think Pete would say here? Would you rather have cool looking furniture for a few years (surely, this furniture will some day be out of style too. Alas!) then have to spend another $6K for newer, cooler looking furniture at that point too?

My motto for buying stuff, especially stuff that I don't need (replacing something that isn't broken) is delay, delay, delay. It can be so tempting to just go all out and buy a bunch of stuff and have a sweet looking pad, but will it make your life better? Will it increase your long term health and happiness? Or are you just falling into consuma sucka trap of the hedonic treadmill?

Yeah yeah, Pete would like, totally disown me like I was Tiffany Trump or something worse.

ReadySetMillionaire

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2019, 10:33:34 AM »
I would say go for it, but ONLY if you are going to buy stuff that you are going to keep for 30+ years.

When I was furnishing my own apartments 5-8 years ago, I bought nicer stuff that I knew I would keep for a long, long time. That furniture is now being used at my office and in my basement. I've kept all of it, and I like the way it looks.

Similarly, at my house, my wife and I only buy new furniture that we are going to keep for 30+ years.

MrThatsDifferent

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2019, 10:37:52 AM »
I would say go for it, but ONLY if you are going to buy stuff that you are going to keep for 30+ years.

When I was furnishing my own apartments 5-8 years ago, I bought nicer stuff that I knew I would keep for a long, long time. That furniture is now being used at my office and in my basement. I've kept all of it, and I like the way it looks.

Similarly, at my house, my wife and I only buy new furniture that we are going to keep for 30+ years.

The only things I plan on keeping for 30+ years are my mind and body, I doubt my teeth will last that long, let alone some furniture. Who keeps a tv for 30 years? I expect furniture to be floating on magnetic discs or something, are you crazy? Have you kept your Walkman, DVD player and answering machine from 15 years ago!?! GTFOOH! ;-)

undercover

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2019, 10:38:46 AM »
Rewatch Fight Club

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2019, 10:41:31 AM »

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2019, 10:51:40 AM »
No, you may not go out and buy $6k of new furniture. It's not going to cure your emotional issue. Go outside and take a long walk.

Keep an eye on craigslist, FB marketplace, etc. You can get perfectly good stuff much cheaper, and it's way better for the environment as well. Your bed and tv are practically brand new. The bed will be the last thing you replace. The tv you have to keep at least 3 years. TV envy is not something to encourage.

Prodigal Daughter

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2019, 11:00:33 AM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diderot_effect

Interesting! I had never heard of this.

But I will also caution you about "buying everything new". Furniture and home decor does go out of style, and if you buy everything at once, I think that you will likely feel like it's all out of date at the same time.

When I bought my house ten years ago I bought a fairly simple headboard and new bed, but I kept my handmade dresser (that my grandfather built) and then found an antique desk. None of it matches, but because it's all from different periods, with modern linens and decor, it never feels out of date. I just like it all, and have for 10 years.

However, with my living room furniture. I did buy new about 12 years ago. Red microfiber sofa and love seat. The color, style, and fabric were super "in" back then. I can't tell you how many places I saw the same furniture for a few years. But it did not age well. Solid color microfiber with kids was awful. The furniture also started breaking down a bit. Luckily, my parents were building a new (smaller) house so I got to take their very simple, yet well crafted, medium brown, fairly modern, but not TOO modern, living room set. It can "blend" well with all kinds of decor, so I can easily change pillows or wall paint and get a completely new look for minimal cost.

I've been wanting a new media cabinet for the better part of a year, but I won't settle until I find one that is also more timeless and will last longer than the one I currently have and bought at Target 13 years ago. (Which is also something I would caution you about IKEA furniture. It might look good for a while, but it isn't going to have any longevity.)

The reason I am patiently waiting to find the "right" cabinet is that right now everything is made from fake barn wood with weird looking "barn doors" or fake fireplaces (or worse, a combination of the two). It will look hideously outdated in about five years because this faux barn wood/barn door phase has already been around for a few years.

So if you want upgrade your furniture, sure, go ahead. But don't just buy everything from one furniture store in one fell swoop. Start with finding ONE right thing. And also, is your TV really that small? Really? If it's only a year old?

ReadySetMillionaire

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2019, 11:17:53 AM »

The only things I plan on keeping for 30+ years are my mind and body, I doubt my teeth will last that long, let alone some furniture. Who keeps a tv for 30 years? I expect furniture to be floating on magnetic discs or something, are you crazy? Have you kept your Walkman, DVD player and answering machine from 15 years ago!?! GTFOOH! ;-)

I know you're somewhat kidding, but I think there's a big difference between technology and solid-built furniture that would look good in a house in 1920, 2020, and 2120.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2019, 12:03:56 PM »
Search OfferUp/letgo/craigslist for nicer furniture. My keywords that I search at least weekly are:

• West Elm
• Crate and Barrel
• Pottery Barn
• Teak (mid century vintage wood)
• Lane (very nice vintage cedar pieces)

You’ll find these for a fraction of the list price. Plus, if you don’t buy in a full set, you can buy complementary-but-not-perfectly-matched pieces to give your room a more hygge/designed feel.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2019, 12:49:41 PM »
I'm sorry you're feeling so unsettled. As others have pointed out, buying a ton of expensive furniture isn't going to solve your problems. Maybe your new project could be finding cheaper, secondhand options for making your new home more comfortable? Browse thrift stores for art, learn to sew pillowcases or couch covers, strip and stain a wooden piece to a nicer shade, ask for pieces on Buy Nothing. And go outside more so you're not staring at the walls and obsessing over your furniture!

I used to be obsessed with interior design. I mostly did it on the cheap, but I spent a couple thousand on a stylish couch. SO DUMB. Once I lost my interest, I was annoyed at how hard it was to move, the form over function, the money wasted. Even though I still liked the look of it, I spent all my time on the overstuffed floral couch handed down from an older generation.

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!

MrThatsDifferent

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2019, 02:11:33 PM »
I'm sorry you're feeling so unsettled. As others have pointed out, buying a ton of expensive furniture isn't going to solve your problems. Maybe your new project could be finding cheaper, secondhand options for making your new home more comfortable? Browse thrift stores for art, learn to sew pillowcases or couch covers, strip and stain a wooden piece to a nicer shade, ask for pieces on Buy Nothing. And go outside more so you're not staring at the walls and obsessing over your furniture!

I used to be obsessed with interior design. I mostly did it on the cheap, but I spent a couple thousand on a stylish couch. SO DUMB. Once I lost my interest, I was annoyed at how hard it was to move, the form over function, the money wasted. Even though I still liked the look of it, I spent all my time on the overstuffed floral couch handed down from an older generation.

Thank you for this and your sympathies. I like the idea of making a project out of replacing my furniture as low cost, but stylish as possible. You’re speaking my language!

MrThatsDifferent

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2019, 02:20:15 PM »
Damn I really love this community! No wonder I was poor before. Very grateful for you wise and compassionate souls to help put things in perspective and fight against needless consumerism. I clearly posted this cause new me needed some allies against old me and wasn’t above bringing in re-enforcements to win the war.

New plan: move with what I got and set it all up then take stock. Leave the tv, it’s fine. Change the bed only if I definitely need a bigger one (it’s fine for one person). Upgrade the sofa as a project for a used one.

Whew! Y’all just saved me $6k! I still might get the massage chair. Wait, did I mention I want a massage chair too? ;-)

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2019, 02:48:57 PM »
So do we all get a finder's fee for that $6,000? :P

Also: massage chair pads are cheaper!

MrThatsDifferent

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2019, 03:14:15 PM »

I will definitely take you out to the fanciest dinner we can find. Oh wait, umm, damn, ummm...lentils! I will definitely make you the tastiest lentils meal in the history of humanity. (Look at me MMM, I’m learning!)

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2019, 03:44:55 PM »

I will definitely take you out to the fanciest dinner we can find. Oh wait, umm, damn, ummm...lentils! I will definitely make you the tastiest lentils meal in the history of humanity. (Look at me MMM, I’m learning!)

Hah! I hope you're including some rice bought in bulk.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2019, 03:46:30 PM »
Love it!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

MrThatsDifferent

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2019, 08:49:40 PM »

Hah! I hope you're including some rice bought in bulk.

Look at you, all fancy with your rice.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2019, 02:23:15 AM »
The problem with being Mustachian: in no time your will become pretty rich and you can afford almost anything. The secret is to not go spending (all of) it. I/we made the mistake of spending all of our investments on a high end home. Now that we want to retire, we first need to sell it again, which is again a major stressor. It was a dumb choice, we should just have left those 550K sitting in that index fund and not looking at it.

If you are tempted to spend your saving, you could consider to invest your money into something less accessible, like a rental home.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 05:06:11 AM by Linea_Norway »

brunetteUK

• Stubble
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2019, 03:06:45 AM »
Hey @MrThatsDifferent !

Regarding interior design, check out these two articles, the entire blog is great!

https://www.mariakillam.com/boringequalstimeless/

https://www.mariakillam.com/10-easy-ways-to-make-your-home-look-more-expensive/

I'd point out to 2 things:

a) your priorities. Is your home environment a top priority for you? Or is it travel? Or is socialising out of the house and coming in to sleep and shower? I won't give out any face punches if you are spending money in the things that really make a positive impact in your life. I will though mention that $6k is quiiiiite a large amount.

b) you know yourself. Recently I've given myself permission to buy whatever clothes I want. That's because I know, from history, that I will use my new clothes and my old clothes, I take care of them and they will last for ages. Same for gadgets, I buy a kitchen appliances and it will last me years and years (maybe not 30 years hehe). If you buy new shiny things and soon they lose their appeal and you are looking for the next thing, then whether or not to buy new furniture is not the core of the problem.

Gail2000

• Stubble
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2019, 04:38:53 AM »
Is painting your current furniture an option? That’s what I’ve been doing this summer. It’s staving off the same feeling I’ve been having. It scratches the itch bit in a minimal price tag sort of way and I’m learning as I have not been particularly handy up until now.

Jesse@Papermonger

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2019, 09:11:43 AM »
I'm glad to see you decided to opt out. Looks like a great decision from here.

Diderot effect was a fascinating read and something that I can immediately relate to. Damn that scarlet dressing gown!

In all seriousness though OP, make a furniture acquistion plan and stick with it. You don't have to go all hardcore and adopt your parents' $25 Goodwill couch that you hate just to save a buck, but there's a happy medium between that and dropping a month's or several months' worth of savings at once.

Personally, I like to buy something for my spouse "for Christmas" if it's something we've wanted for a long time. Quotes because we normally pick it out together and it's not every year.

This year, we replaced the 32" Vizio TV we bought on Black Friday in 2015 with a refurbished 55" Samsung for $300. Prior years' purchases have been a couch, a new king mattress and box springs, an Instant Pot and Anova immersion circulator, and an armchair.

minerstache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2019, 11:08:40 AM »
++ on Craigslist. I bought a like new Room and Board bed and dresser for 60% off that was still for sale in the stores. Some great finds. It just takes time with targeted searches and waiting but good items pop up all the time. The markup is crazy for furniture so used is the way to go. 

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2019, 02:25:03 PM »
*protects face preemptively against face punches*

I literally *just* did this.
DH and I bought the equivalent of a bachelor pad, a nice one bedroom apartment. We had a whole townhouse full of furniture and didn't bring anything with us except a bed and some storage cubes.

We bought everything else new, no Craigslist, nothing used, which has always been my go-to.

Buying new was necessary for downsizing and making the space optimally functional, including the most expensive cat litter box in the world. Because I went all new, the place is so incredibly well designed in terms of function and form, that I'm thrilled to be in a place that's less than half the size of our former modest townhouse.

On the bright side, the townhouse is now a rental, and the savings we have from not living there anymore will cover the cost of the furniture within a year or so.

Look critically at what you want and why and make the appropriate decisions accordingly.

Buying all new furniture isn't fundamentally wrong, but it's rarely the right option.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2019, 02:31:03 PM »

Buying new was necessary for downsizing and making the space optimally functional, including the most expensive cat litter box in the world. Because I went all new, the place is so incredibly well designed in terms of function and form, that I'm thrilled to be in a place that's less than half the size of our former modest townhouse.

I know I am going off topic here, but what did you get?  I downsized from a 3 bedroom house to a one bedroom plus den apartment.  The bedroom and den are fine, but my living room sofa and chair are definitely too big for my new living space.  But they are so comfortable, and are recliners that I love.  I don't want to give them up unless I can find something equally comfortable, but smaller. 

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2019, 02:38:52 PM »

I know I am going off topic here, but what did you get?  I downsized from a 3 bedroom house to a one bedroom plus den apartment.  The bedroom and den are fine, but my living room sofa and chair are definitely too big for my new living space.  But they are so comfortable, and are recliners that I love.  I don't want to give them up unless I can find something equally comfortable, but smaller.

Downsized from a 3 bedroom to a 1 bedroom apartment, so literally no room for storing anything other than critical items.

We have Ikea Delaktig "sofas", which are totally convertible units that we have set up as loungers/chaises instead of as full sofas. They can be converted to two single beds or one king bed as well, which works for our rare overnight guests as we literally now have no room for even a blow up mattress. That's why we went with new.

The dining room table is also convertible, can sit 2 or 4, and is totally collapsible. I also bought bookshelves with bigger shelf space so that I could store bankers boxes on them.

Basically, every item here does double duty and makes living in a small space with another person a lot more pleasant.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2019, 04:46:57 PM »
You could have built that all from recycled wood palettes. 

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2019, 08:29:13 AM »
@panda, my post was in jest, but that's REALLY good to know!

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2019, 10:20:47 AM »
"What kind of dining set defines ME, as a person?"

Classic.

Awesomeness

• Stubble
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2019, 01:30:14 PM »
I had a blow up life experience and replacing things does actually help.  But I did it on the cheap and over time so there was no remorse on spending too much.

Have an IKEA near you?  Most things I replaced came from their ding and dent room.  Ektorp sofa and new covers were under a couple hundred dollars and I sold the old stuff which made it free.  All linens replaced the same way. Got a recliner for 160$. New bed for 140$. Mattress from Aldi for 200$ and the topper from Costco. 

Other things I would buy on sale at Costco. Getting all new pans now for 160$.  A dumb dish towel triggered me the other day so I tossed it. It’s 10$ for a big pack of new ones. They have great sales online and their shipping is reasonable. 

Got a neat all wood sideboard at a thrift store and a small dresser for 35$. To be fair I hunted for those items for a couple years and finally scored both in a week.

I want a new TV but my big old 55” is still going.  I’m eying a TCL 4K 50” roku tv at Costco and it’s under 300$.

I like to shop and hunt so this was all easy for me. Maybe you could do it this way too if you go slow. If you have no IKEA I recommend Facebook marketplace and craigslist for quality items.  Stay out of Ashley Furniture type stores, it’s all overpriced junk.  Last most expensive piece I got was microfiber sofas at Macy’s about 9 years ago, 600$. They were nice but got moved too many times. Otherwise I love ikea for sofas because the covers are washable and you can get different colors and change your whole look for cheap.  No I don’t work for them. Lol

Good luck. 

MrThatsDifferent

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2019, 02:00:53 PM »
Thanks all for the suggestions. I did forget to mention in that $6k was a fridge that I have to get as well. Anyways, all great ideas. The furniture I was getting wasn’t super fancy and seemed reasonable, it’s just I don’t NEED it, I just WANTED it. I should know better by now. As mentioned, I used to be income rich, cash poor because of my fuck it, there’s always money rolling in attitude. That guy was a dumbass. I definitely want to change things up but I don’t have to rush, the move itself is enough of a change, and I can see how my current stuff feels first. I love this place!

Me (and 50% of new people here): I’m thinking of being an idiot.
The forum: Don’t be an idiot!
Me: Whew!

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2019, 03:16:16 PM »
Guys & girls, MrThatsDifferent is from Orstraya. We don't have Craigslist, but we do have Gumtree :)

MrThatsDifferent

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2019, 10:58:13 PM »
Guys & girls, MrThatsDifferent is from Orstraya. We don't have Craigslist, but we do have Gumtree :)

True. I mean, we do have craigslist, but it’s not built out like in the states. I did convert what they were saying to Gumtree, so much appreciated still. ;-)

Missy B

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2019, 12:17:31 AM »

Whew! Y’all just saved me $6k! I still might get the massage chair. Wait, did I mention I want a massage chair too? ;-)
Nooooooooooooo...

I see that you have been saved from the dark side. But I wanted to add: when trying to decide if something is worth the cost, I plug the dollar value into the compound interest formula at 8% for 15 years and see how much money it'll cost me not to have it in the market.

I still have my bedroom furniture (some of it anyway) from when I was 10. The rest of my furniture, (now that I think about it) is all 20 years old or second hand.

Proletariat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2019, 05:43:38 AM »
Counterargument (to the majority here): we're on a rock floating through space made up of atoms doing things for no one knows what reason. Do what you want while you're here. As long as you're not completely stupid and do something that's going to seriously detriment your well-being, who cares? And what does does a "serious detriment" actually even look like?

Anyone who tells you they have it figured out is lying. There is no dollar amount you should or shouldn't spend.

I personally firmly believe in having pieces around the house that you enjoy to look at and be around and use. To me, it does make a big difference in my overall well being. Not saying you need to spend $6k to get there. Not saying you don't.

There is no category of spending exempt from the holy "Mustachian pass" IMO as long as it's something you truly value. People get passes here for spending on sports cars or any other hobby they have because it's something they know they don't want to live without.

I don't think you actually value having nicer furniture though because you're having to make a forum post about it and get validation.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2019, 06:03:26 AM »

I don't think you actually value having nicer furniture though because you're having to make a forum post about it and get validation.

Either that, or his existing furniture is already and nice and will do just fine. You're right though, from his posts, new furniture obviously isn't really something he's excited about, he's just fighting his old impulses to buy new stuff, so coming here to be discouraged was the right call.

MrThatsDifferent

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2019, 06:21:18 AM »

Either that, or his existing furniture is already and nice and will do just fine. You're right though, from his posts, new furniture obviously isn't really something he's excited about, he's just fighting his old impulses to buy new stuff, so coming here to be discouraged was the right call.

Exactly. Shopping isn’t love. That’s what I have to keep reminding myself. And, I value FIRE now more than retail therapy.  Great to have support to stay on track. Financial AA.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2019, 06:53:59 AM »

Exactly. Shopping isn’t love. That’s what I have to keep reminding myself. And, I value FIRE now more than retail therapy.  Great to have support to stay on track. Financial AA.

Yep, you have to have a really healthy relationship with buying things before you can trust your own desires for buying things. It's tricky when you can't trust your own instincts towards things.

I hope whatever curveball you've been thrown turns out well. Good job not giving into the reflex to spend your way through it.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2019, 10:03:54 AM »
I like to surround myself with quality stuff - and - make a change now and then. There is something to be said for having only things you really like in your place, especially if it is a new place.
We change, our expectations change.

If something strikes you as being wrong for your new place or worse does not fit well or does not function well in your new space then YES, by all means, make some changes to your habitat:) - you'll be glad you did.
Settling is overrated, why put up with crap you dislike?

You will enjoy your new life and new space a lot more if you set it up to satisfy yourself. If you feel a bit queasy about spending $6K then compromise and save half and use half to make your new place shine and say welcome the minute you open the door.

You successfully dealt with the curveball - so be kind to yourself:) it will help you feel better with moving forward.
Besides, you mentioned you would enjoy a project or two - so DIY, it's mushtashian and makes $3K go further.

Do you know that popular decluttering book the KonMarie method? This is sort of like that - only buy and keep what sparks joy:)!
Kick everything else to the curb because that is where it belongs.

NoVa

• Stubble
« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2019, 03:50:02 PM »
I go by the William Morris  method:

"Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!