Author Topic: No knead bread  (Read 8664 times)

FiguringItOut

• Pencil Stache
No knead bread
« on: February 02, 2015, 06:48:47 AM »
So you guys got me all hooked on making my own rustic crusty delicious no-knead bread.  Thank you!

My question is this - do you add anything else to the dough to make flavored loafs?  If you do, what do you add and when? 

My bread always comes out supper crusty (thick, crunchy crust) but with large holes though out.  It is great for snacking and eating with dinner and such, but can't be used for sandwiches.  Is there a way to make this no-knead bread less holey and with softer crust to be more suitable for sandwiches?

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
Re: No knead bread
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 07:17:53 AM »
My question is this - do you add anything else to the dough to make flavored loafs?  If you do, what do you add and when? 
I've added dried herbs and dried onion to the dough just before shaping.  works well.

My bread always comes out supper crusty (thick, crunchy crust) but with large holes though out.  It is great for snacking and eating with dinner and such, but can't be used for sandwiches.  Is there a way to make this no-knead bread less holey and with softer crust to be more suitable for sandwiches?
To eliminate the enormous holes you can work the dough a bit more before going into the oven.
To get a softer crust, bake it inside something - I use a preheated cast-iron dutch oven, but you could just as easily bake it on a pizza stone or unglazed ceramic tile and put an oven-safe mixing bowl over top of the loaf.  the steam from the dough will be trapped inside, and your crust will be softer.  You can remove the lid after a while to get various thicknesses/softness in the crust.  experiment around to find what works for you.
g'luck.

MicroRN

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 11:30:48 AM »
I love doing finely minced rosemary in the loaf (added when I first mix the dough), and then halfway through baking I brush the loaf with oil and sprinkle it with kosher salt.  A little hard cheese like romano or parmesan goes really well in the loaf too.   

Left

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 11:34:29 AM »
with that thread on making yogurt, I've made bread with yogurt, if you get flavored ones, you can make flavored bread too

With the sandwich breads, have you used a rice cooker instead of bread pan + oven? You end up with a round bread but I think it turns out a bit better (not sure if it is because rice cooker is lower heat or not
http://insunee.blogspot.com/2011/11/no-knead-bread-in-rice-cooker-it-dont.html

edit:has anyone actually tried to make bread using a hickory board/chips in the oven? namely, can you "smoke" a bread for flavor? And what does it taste like? Now I'm interested in trying this next time I make a bread
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 11:37:27 AM by eyem »

stigto

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2015, 01:57:28 PM »
High hydration (water content) makes for large holes. These are generally thought of as desirable. A lower hydration (60%, or 5 parts flour to 3 parts water is about as low as you'll want to go) should reduce the size of the holes (depending on the flour). For a softer crust, add fat (vegetable oil, butter or lard) to the dough.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 01:59:19 PM by stigto »

Retired To Win

• Handlebar Stache
  • making the most of my time and my money
    • Retired To Win
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2015, 03:43:15 PM »
My wife started making/baking breads a few weeks ago following a kneading approach.  It surely looked like a LOT of work with uncertain results.  Then we really lucked out when she found a practically-new bread machine at a thrift store for $4.  She's become a bread-baking demon since then.  And her stuff tastes great!

FiguringItOut

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2015, 03:46:55 PM »
High hydration (water content) makes for large holes. These are generally thought of as desirable. A lower hydration (60%, or 5 parts flour to 3 parts water is about as low as you'll want to go) should reduce the size of the holes (depending on the flour). For a softer crust, add fat (vegetable oil, butter or lard) to the dough.

Thank you.  I'll try these suggestions.
As a side note, I LOVE my crusty holey bread, but I can't use it for sandwiches.  So want to try alternative methods.

FiguringItOut

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2015, 03:47:58 PM »
My wife started making/baking breads a few weeks ago following a kneading approach.  It surely looked like a LOT of work with uncertain results.  Then we really lucked out when she found a practically-new bread machine at a thrift store for $4.  She's become a bread-baking demon since then.  And her stuff tastes great!

I have bread machine, but like this no-knead bread much better.  I may have to go back to break machine for sandwich bread if I don't figure out how to alter my method.

AllChoptUp

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2015, 10:20:39 AM »
with that thread on making yogurt, I've made bread with yogurt, if you get flavored ones, you can make flavored bread too

With the sandwich breads, have you used a rice cooker instead of bread pan + oven? You end up with a round bread but I think it turns out a bit better (not sure if it is because rice cooker is lower heat or not
http://insunee.blogspot.com/2011/11/no-knead-bread-in-rice-cooker-it-dont.html

edit:has anyone actually tried to make bread using a hickory board/chips in the oven? namely, can you "smoke" a bread for flavor? And what does it taste like? Now I'm interested in trying this next time I make a bread

Cool! My four year old loves sandwiches but hates hard crusts.  Plus I can't find bread without soy in it around here.  This solution might be perfect (and cheap :). Thanks!

Breaker

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2015, 10:49:39 AM »
Help!  I have tried no-knead bread several times and it usually comes out as a very flat loaf in the bottom of the pan.  I am using a cast iron Dutch Oven to bake it in, covered.

I wonder if any of you have a fool-proof recipe that will help?  I did find one that bakes at a lower temp. that worked the one time I tried it.  I also did not pre-heat the Dutch Oven as long/hot as my first recipe said to do. 

I do brush the risen dough with butter and sprinkle sesame seeds on top before baking.

MicroRN

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2015, 04:20:31 PM »
Breaker, how old is your yeast?  As mine gets older I have to increase the amount I use.

WESTOFTHEHUDSON

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2015, 05:25:14 PM »
I got this book from the library entitled " Artisan bread in 5 minutes a day" they are no knead, great crust and recipes for herbed and really great rye & pumpernickel too.

Breaker

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2015, 06:34:58 PM »
Hi MicroRN,

I don't think it is the yeast.  It is the cooking method.  My recipe tells me to heat the Dutch Oven in a high heat oven.  I think 450 degrees and then put the dough straight into that hot pot when it has risen the 2nd time.  The bread just goes flat. 

In thinking back, I have both old and new yeast with the same results.  The last time I baked it, I only warmed the pot for a few minutes before putting in the dough.  Worked much better.  Also turned the oven down about 25 degrees for the baking.

I find the bread machine bread very dense, so it is good for sandwiches.  Mostly I use the bread machine to make things like Banana Nut or Cranberry/Orange Walnut bread.  Those turn out great.

jb14

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2015, 06:38:31 PM »
Try the cooks illustrated recipe, I have better luck with it compared to the artisan bread in 5 mins book.

@eyem, have you tried a few drops of liquid smoke?

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2015, 06:42:53 PM »
I don't think it is the yeast.  It is the cooking method.  My recipe tells me to heat the Dutch Oven in a high heat oven.  I think 450 degrees and then put the dough straight into that hot pot when it has risen the 2nd time.  The bread just goes flat. 

Is this the NYT bread recipe?  I'm surprised, as I've used it many many times with much success.  I'm in love with it.  (I have dough ready to go into the oven tonight when I get home from work!)  In fact, every loaf I've ever done has turned out great, despite varying temps and water/flour ratios.  The yeast should be responsible for the rising though.  Are you sure you're using Instant Yeast? (as called for in the recipe, which is different from Active Dry yeast)

Left

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2015, 07:12:32 AM »
@eyem, have you tried a few drops of liquid smoke?
I didn't know such a thing existed, I'll look for it next time in the store or online when I make bread

lakemom

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2015, 08:09:33 AM »
If you rub the crust with butter (olive oil, coconut oil, etc) soon after removing from the oven (just let it cool enough to handle gingerly) it makes a softer crust.  Also, cooking the no knead in a regular bread pan as opposed to on a stone helps for sandwiches.  Finally, you may need to knead the bread very briefly before putting in the pan to help eliminate the air pocket.  Really just work it for a few seconds and then shape into a loaf and plop into the pan.

frompa

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2015, 06:06:23 PM »
Hey OP, I've made that no knead bread many times, and it's wonderful. But I don't shy away from kneading, either.  It's no big deal. For sandwiches, there's nothing like pain de mie (mmm, lots of butter), which has a beautiful even tiny-textured crumb, with the loaf structured enough that you can slice the loaf very thin. Look on line, you'll find plenty of recipes.  As it's a white bread, you don't have to do much kneading.  If you have or can get Laurel's bread book, I particularly like the 100% whole wheat buttermilk bread for sandwiches.  It's light, light, light. But does require kneading.  The world of bread making is HUGE and so enjoyable.  I hope you poke around some and find more breads that you enjoy.

tonysemail

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2016, 12:03:48 PM »
a coworker pointed me to that NYT recipe and I just tried it last weekend.
it turned out great and the whole family loved the smell and taste of freshly baked bread.
now we have a new hobby to get into.
the only complaint came from my son who found the crust hard to bite into.
I'll try the suggestion of rubbing butter on the cooling bread.
That sounds yummy!

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2016, 01:15:02 PM »
a coworker pointed me to that NYT recipe and I just tried it last weekend.
it turned out great and the whole family loved the smell and taste of freshly baked bread.
now we have a new hobby to get into.
the only complaint came from my son who found the crust hard to bite into.
I'll try the suggestion of rubbing butter on the cooling bread.
That sounds yummy!

Another way to reduce the thickness and crunchy-ness (is that a word) of the crust is to bake the bread inside a pre-heated terra-cotta or cast-iron pot.  It will trap steam and give you a softer crust.  I bake for 20 minutes with the lid on, then 10-15 minutes with the lid off to give me some crust crunch.

Alternatively, you can replace 1-2 tablespoons of water with olive oil when you make the dough.

tonysemail

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2016, 02:06:34 PM »
Another way to reduce the thickness and crunchy-ness (is that a word) of the crust is to bake the bread inside a pre-heated terra-cotta or cast-iron pot.  It will trap steam and give you a softer crust.  I bake for 20 minutes with the lid on, then 10-15 minutes with the lid off to give me some crust crunch.

Alternatively, you can replace 1-2 tablespoons of water with olive oil when you make the dough.

I used a corningware dish to bake the bread.  I don't have a cast-iron pot at home.
thanks for the suggestion.  I'll try using some olive oil too.

kite

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2016, 06:14:39 AM »
For sandwich bread, I use Lauren Groveman's recipe for Challah and it never fails.  Seriously, try this.
http://www.laurengroveman.com/recipes/breads/six-strand-challah/
Out of one batch, I make three braids and each braid individually goes into a loaf pan.  The egg & butter give it the perfect slicing for sandwich texture.  Leftovers make the best French toast. 
I make Jim Lahey's No Knead for a go-with-soup or sop up stew, tomato sauce or gravy kind of bread.  The holes you see are from the moisture content, probably.  Not really an add-in, but I've used water from boiling potatoes for the No Knead. 

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2016, 07:10:59 AM »
For sandwich bread, I use Lauren Groveman's recipe for Challah and it never fails.  Seriously, try this.
http://www.laurengroveman.com/recipes/breads/six-strand-challah/
Out of one batch, I make three braids and each braid individually goes into a loaf pan.  The egg & butter give it the perfect slicing for sandwich texture.  Leftovers make the best French toast. 
I make Jim Lahey's No Knead for a go-with-soup or sop up stew, tomato sauce or gravy kind of bread.  The holes you see are from the moisture content, probably.  Not really an add-in, but I've used water from boiling potatoes for the No Knead.

Thanks for sharing!  I do love me some challah french toast, but sadly there's no Jewish bakeries where I live and I've yet to find anywhere that makes a good Challah loaf.  Will be baking some this weekend!

R62

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2016, 08:25:26 AM »
Cook's Illustrated has a recipe for a no-knead Ciabatta (google it).  Instead of forming the loaves I cut the dough into roll-sized pieces and bake, and it makes excellent sandwich rolls, as well as a fine hamburger bun.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2016, 08:32:43 AM »
Cook's Illustrated has a recipe for a no-knead Ciabatta (google it).  Instead of forming the loaves I cut the dough into roll-sized pieces and bake, and it makes excellent sandwich rolls, as well as a fine hamburger bun.
g2n - thanks!