Author Topic: New to the forums and have a couple questions 😁  (Read 4907 times)

Silverback761

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
New to the forums and have a couple questions 😁
« on: June 29, 2018, 03:46:02 PM »
Firstly, hello to everyone and thank you for all the information provided on the mainsite and these forums. I'll literally just turned 40 on Monday of this week and while browsing through my flipboard app came across an article about early retirement and saving money. Basically after reading it and following a link to this site it was like something exploded in my brain and I realized I don't want to work myself to the grave. Especially after being run over twice, several other work and sports sustained injuries later. Needless to say it's already catching up with me and I'm a physical labor kind of person so that's not slowing the process any either...doh!

So to the point of this post. Recently I settled an injury claim and came into a couple dollars (I took medical benefits over large sum) and my wife and I are going to pay off the last of our minor debt leaving us with just the major ones (mortgage, student loans and car). We both make a decent living finally, and I won't lie, and after attaining that we spoiled ourselves. I spent my entire life watching my parents struggle along with myself so when things turned around we enjoyed ourselves some. Now that my children are either married, finishing college or high school I realized I haven't saved a bloody dime for retirement as every cent has been invested into making sure my children never had to struggle like I did growing up and got the educations they needed. So now that it's just the two of us we've started making a list of things to cut back to save money and crank down on paying the big debts off. Now here come my questions:

1. What do we start with first? I've literally spent last 48 hrs cranking through articles and reading posts but I guess I'm just having a I can't believe I'm actually 40 mental lapse... We make enough that we could most likely pay them all off within 5 yrs if we really budget like suggested. Do we focus on student loans, mortgage or car first? We owe roughly 40k on the new car, 35k on the house and over 100k between us in student loans (that's after already having paid them both about halfway down over the yrs).

2. Should I take some of the money from my settlement and start investing it to get the ball rolling and use that to build off of or hold off and apply all of it to the major debt?

3. Should we finally start pumping money into our 401k's or just hold off a little longer and get those debts paid off and then go to town investing in them?

I have literally hundreds more questions as I'm a very thorough person and research everything to death but I'm sure most of them I'll get answers to as I crank through posts and the blog but for now those are my major questions to start with to help us get going in a direction.

To everyone that takes the time to answer my questions I greatly appreciate it along with your patience as my wife and I learn along the way.

Also, to anyone looking for fitness advice I am an exercise kinesiologist and am always willing to help people reach their goals in fitness and long term health. Been doing it for 20 yrs and recently changed careers to maintenance manager fixing heavy machinery so I could work with my wife, who is a chemist, and spend more time with her. I took a pay cut but I'd rather be with her than make more money.

Thanks again and hope everyone has a great 4th of July!

Keep it Hard,
Corey

lbmustache

• Pencil Stache
Re: New to the forums and have a couple questions 😁
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2018, 04:14:08 PM »
Welcome to the forum!

Can you tell us the interest rate of the car loan (which seems astronomical :O), mortgage, and student loans? And when you say nothing for retirement - this is both you and your wife? No workplace contributions, nothing?

Silverback761

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2018, 04:48:30 PM »
Currently our interest rates are as follows:

House - 3.8%
Student Loans - 3.2% & 3.5%
Car - 1.9%

As far as 401k and retirement... ... ...

Not one bloody cent. Only recent has our financial status allowed us to catch up from medical bills and credit card debt to finally start saving money in the bank.

Kierun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2018, 05:05:21 PM »
Welcome Corey!  Glad you're here.

I'd suggest looking at doing a case study https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/case-studies/how-to-write-a-'case-study'-topic/ to get the most bang for your buck as the members will go through it with a fine tooth comb and do some great analysis and provide excellent advice.  Hopefully you're already tracking your spending down to the penny so we all can get a good grasp on your spending and how to optimize the spending in line with your family's goals. 

You should also read up on https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/investor-alley/investment-order/msg1333153/#msg1333153

Silverback761

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2018, 05:15:31 PM »
Planning on it this weekend. Wife and I are going to sit down and start crunching numbers to see what we need and what we don't. I've always been a minimalist where my wife has always been the opposite. You can tell because all I have is my ps4, TV, work out area in basement I built myself and a 5 drawer dresser.  She has well...the rest of the space in the house...doh! Thank you for the links also. Soon as we fill it out we'll post the info and see what happens. Have a great night!!!

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2018, 05:25:07 PM »
I agree with others that the investment order sticky post is the one to study. Then get a case study spreadsheet posted here and let the smart people on the internets help you out.

One big thing sticks in my mind: can you dump that freaking expensive new car? It is amazing to me that you could owe more on a car than your house. Good job almost getting that house paid off! If you could sell the car and wipe out that big debt, take a few thousand in cash to get a used car instead, then that would free up a good chunk of monthly cash that you could either invest or throw at other debts. Those student loans sound intimidating. Post the details and we'll be able to give better advice. Good luck!

Silverback761

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2018, 05:34:31 PM »
Any advice on selling a new 2018 Toyota Camry XSE? LoL, this was my spoil us purchase because it the first vehicle in my life that wasn't a old hand me down or old rust beater I spent as much money on repairing as I would have buying a new vehicle just to get by. I guess at 40 I'm new to the whole financial thing. Wife pays the Bill's and I do the heavy lifting. All I've focused on ever is providing for my children and ignoring everything else to the benefit of my wife and I til now. Sounds kinda sad but eh...we've always been happy either way 😎.

koshtra

• Pencil Stache
    • Mole
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2018, 05:38:31 PM »
Yeah, that order of investment post is terrific: read that first.

Silverback761

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2018, 05:45:23 PM »
Already started reading it 😉 after I got the link. Thanks!

Also, thank you again to everyone taking the time and patience to read my posts, share information and post links. It is greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 05:57:43 PM by Silverback761 »

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2018, 07:52:09 PM »
I'll throw the first facepunch.
You owe $40k on a car!!
And you have zero assets.
 The car I drive is 18 years old and I have an easy
to retire on NW.

Silverback761

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2018, 08:29:10 PM »
My wife corrected me on our car debt. It's actually only 26k...lol.../facepalm

Apparently unbeknownst to me she's been making double payments since we bought it last September. Like I said I just do the grunt work, she does all the smart stuff...doh! I think after this post I'm just going to let her do all the talking and discussion while I go back to picking things up and putting them down. It really is what I do best besides research.

Thanks for the first facepunch...well deserved.

Kwill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2018, 07:16:22 AM »

Apparently unbeknownst to me she's been making double payments since we bought it last September. . . .

Well, that's 14k worth of good news. Congratulations & good job to your wife.

You might just take a second look at a payslip from this job and any previous jobs, just in case something was coming out for retirement for either of you at some point. If so, you might be able to consolidate any little bits from past jobs into a rollover IRA or something. If both you and your wife have had multiple past jobs, it would seem strange if no employer had ever automatically enrolled you in some plan. And plans with past employers might be subject to fees that you could avoid or reduce by moving the money . . . anyway it'd be good to check. If there are any fees chipping away at it, the sooner you do something, the better.

Also log into the government's social security website and check on what you and your wife might expect from social security in the future. That might help in planning since you are starting late to think about these things.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2018, 07:56:14 AM »
Facepunch coming:

You have no money.
You have less than no money.
It doesn’t matter how hard you work and how much you earn or how many rusty cars you’ve driven in the past, you have NO MONEY so you can’t afford to spoil yourself.

Would you borrow money from a family member to buy a new car because you feel you deserve to be spoiled even though you have no money???? Of course not! So why would you borrow money from anyone to spoil yourself?

I went to university for 11 years, got a doctorate, and I guarantee I make more money than you do, and I spoiled myself by buying a 2 year old Toyota Corolla with super low mileage for 13K. That was my splurge, buying a 2 year old car instead of another rusty, unpredictable beater.

You can’t afford to reward yourself with expensive and unnecessary purchases because YOU HAVE NO MONEY.

If you had saved up a lump 40K+ sum and had it sitting in the bank, I bet you would have a hard time parting with it for a fucking depreciating Camry.

I don’t facepunch often, but that car really deserves it.

You said it better than I did!!
Silverback, is that car gone yet?

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2018, 10:00:02 AM »

Apparently unbeknownst to me she's been making double payments since we bought it last September. Like I said I just do the grunt work, she does all the smart stuff...doh! I think after this post I'm just going to let her do all the talking and discussion while I go back to picking things up and putting them down. It really is what I do best besides research.

Thanks for the first facepunch...well deserved.

The good news is: if your wife is making double payments on your loans, then she's on board! Quite a lot of people new to MMM struggle to get their spouse on board. If you're 40 and your kids are married or in college, you had children quite young. I'm sure that was a challenge at that time, but it means you have your prime earning years ahead of you, while your monthly bills get lower and lower as your kids move out one by one.

I'll not comment further on the car issue, I think that's loud and clear to you now. The interest % on your loans are low and if you can make double payments on a loan, I assume you have enough disposable income to make the  on all of the loans. The next step is an emergency fund if you don't have one yet. Most people aim for 3 - 6 months worth of expenses. At the same time, start retirement savings. Try to get at least your company match, even when you're still working on your EF, or you're leaving money on the table. As soon as you can, up your retirement contributions until they're maxed out. If you are interested in people nitpicking over every single monthy expense, please post a case study. People will facepunch if necessary but often people give very good advice.

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2018, 11:24:37 AM »
First step:  stop prepaying your loans at those rates.  Now. 

Second step:  emergency fund.

Third step:  fully fund whatever tax-deferred accounts you are eligible for (401(k), IRA).

The reason for this order is that compounding is ridiculously powerful, which means that the earliest money you invest grows the most, so your priority has to be to get as much in the market as you can, as soon as you can.  And your tax-deferred accounts will allow you to put more away with less impact on your budget.

Oh:  and sell the car -- thanks to your wife, you're not under water in it.  Yes, you will take a hit.  But it is far less than the hit you will take in depreciation over the next several years.  Buy something you can afford with the cash from the sale.

And to go back to the power of compounding:  assume you had $40K in cash and chose to buy a car with it.  Over the next decade, the car will cost you even more money to keep it running, and will eventually die and need replacement.  OTOH, if you had put that $40K in the market, and you got an average return of around 7%, you'd have $80K when you're 50, $160K when you're 60, $320K when you're 70, and $640K when you're 80.  You are basically driving your retirement nest egg. 

I get the appeal of treating yourself, especially when you've just made it to what feels like a finish line.  But really, all you did is stop living beyond your means and start living within them -- that is a great improvement, but it is the start of the race, not the finish.  So ask yourself: is the comfort and luxury of sitting in that car worth trading a six-figure bank account?  And will it still feel like a worthy tradeoff ten years from now, when the car is creaky and scruffy?  Or will you be thinking, gee, I really wish I had a big fat bank account instead?

Silverback761

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2018, 11:50:39 AM »

Third step:  fully fund whatever tax-deferred accounts you are eligible for (401(k), IRA).

This might seem like obvious to everyone else but not me so I have to ask:

Why stop paying the loans down at their current rates?

Are those rates bad or am I missing something. I'm sorry for what seems like stupid questions but my life has been focused entirely on providing for my family with no concern for myself. So yes, I have yrs of catching up to do and I will as I enjoy learning new things.

Edit - Spelling

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
Re: New to the forums and have a couple questions
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2018, 11:57:04 AM »

Are those rates bad or am I missing something. I'm sorry for what seems like stupid questions but my life has been focused entirely on providing for my family with no concern for myself. So yes, I have yrs of catching up to do and I will as I enjoy learning new things.

Edit - Spelling

The loan rates are very GOOD. That's why you want to stop throwing extra money at them.  Pay them at the agreed on schedule, but don't throw extra money at them b/c you can earn more over the long term by investing the extra money you are using to pay down the loans ahead of schedule.  If you throw e.g., 100 extra bucks at a 4% loan every month, when investing the money would earn you e.g., 8%,  you are losing money over the long term.

Also, by not participating in your 401K plan you are losing a LOT of extra money by 1) leaving any employee match (free money) on the table; 2) missing out on the investment earnings; 3) forgoing the big tax shelter a 401k provides.

ETA: Sorry for all the edits...I am having all kinds of cut and paste problems for some reason.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 12:05:20 PM by wenchsenior »

Allie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2018, 12:03:59 PM »
I look forward to your case study. 

The short answer for stopping the prepayment of the loans at ridiculous low interest rates and investing in retirement accounts is: taxes! 

The loans have 1.9% and 3.x% rates.  I'm guessing your tax rate is 25-28% on your top dollars that could be directed to investments.  That's a large chunk of money that can grow, grow, grow!

I have student loans at 1.8% and a lower interest mortgage and I will keep them as long as I can because maxing out tax advantaged accounts and investing is a more efficient use of my funds.  If the market crashes tomorrow, we will be shoveling whatever we can into investments instead of our loans because our timeline (my husband is 40 this year) is long enough to enjoy and appreciate a good sale!

Silverback761

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2018, 12:16:30 PM »

ETA: Sorry for all the edits...I am having all kinds of cut and paste problems for some reason.

Edit - Spelling

The loan rates are very GOOD. That's why you want to stop throwing extra money at them.  Pay them at the agreed on schedule, but don't throw extra money at them b/c you can earn more over the long term by investing the extra money you are using to pay down the loans ahead of schedule.  If you throw e.g., 100 extra bucks at a 4% loan every month, when investing the money would earn you e.g., 8%,  you are losing money over the long term.

Also, by not participating in your 401K plan you are losing a LOT of extra money by 1) leaving any employee match (free money) on the table; 2) missing out on the investment earnings; 3) forgoing the big tax shelter a 401k provides.

So if I'm understanding this correctly:

1. Sell the new car, if I can convince my wife to.

2. Just make the standard monthly payments on our student loans instead of trying to pay them off ASAP.

3. Take the money we have left after bills and invest in our 401k's and whatever other retirement options we have.

4. Take any funds after that and invest in general to help generate income for the future.

Is there any point in paying down rest of our mortgage if we have no intentions of living here in the next couple yrs? I've been renovating the house to put it on the market yr and I'm just about finished. We've also talked about staying longer if necessary to help finance our retirement and then move. Or does the mortgage fall into the same category as the student loans?

itchyfeet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2018, 12:32:42 PM »
The people throwing face punches need to cool it a tad.

The OP has nearly completely paid off his home by 40. That is a great start to being FI. Just as long as he does t decide to reward himself by upsizing his mortgage now it’s all but dust.

I would agree to sell the car though if you truly want to get to the finish line quickly.

With no rent/ mortgage payments and a paid for car, I am sure you will be able to save more than 50% of what you earn, which will fast track you to a comfortable retirement. You can buy a nice car then, once your investments are paying for it rather than your hard labour.

koshtra

• Pencil Stache
    • Mole
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2018, 12:36:45 PM »
Mortgage falls into the same category. My rough rule of thumb is 5% -- if you've got debt at under that rate, paying it off is probably going to do you less good than investing (tax-sheltered) in an index fund. Lots of details can change where exactly you'd want to draw that line, but your debt interest, both the student loans and the mortgage, are far enough under it that I wouldn't even bother reckoning them up. You want those bucks in the 401K.

(Paying down debt is a good thing, don't get me wrong. It's just not as good as funding a 401K)

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2018, 02:25:01 PM »
Mortgage falls into the same category. My rough rule of thumb is 5% -- if you've got debt at under that rate, paying it off is probably going to do you less good than investing (tax-sheltered) in an index fund. Lots of details can change where exactly you'd want to draw that line, but your debt interest, both the student loans and the mortgage, are far enough under it that I wouldn't even bother reckoning them up. You want those bucks in the 401K.

(Paying down debt is a good thing, don't get me wrong. It's just not as good as funding a 401K)

I use a similar trade off rule.

Also, OP, you should prioritize saving an emergency fund, so that you don't have to borrow at a high interest rate to cover such an event.  Exactly how much to save is something you need to decide based on your income/fixed expenses, and how safe your job(s) are.

Silverback761

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2018, 02:33:03 PM »

Also, OP, you should prioritize saving an emergency fund, so that you don't have to borrow at a high interest rate to cover such an event.  Exactly how much to save is something you need to decide based on your income/fixed expenses, and how safe your job(s) are.

We actually have a decent saving already. We donate to it every week from our paychecks automatically.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2018, 02:33:34 PM »

The OP has nearly completely paid off his home by 40. That is a great start to being FI. Just as long as he does t decide to reward himself by upsizing his mortgage now it’s all but dust.

I would agree to sell the car though if you truly want to get to the finish line quickly.

With no rent/ mortgage payments and a paid for car, I am sure you will be able to save more than 50% of what you earn, which will fast track you to a comfortable retirement. You can buy a nice car then, once your investments are paying for it rather than your hard labour.

I agree to a large extent.  It's disturbing that OP has no actual cash savings/retirement, but as long as he becomes aware of this and starts changing the buying and saving habits, he should be able to make very good progress.  We didn't start saving for retirement until the primary wage earner was 39 (b/c he had gone back to school for multiple advanced degrees) and when we did finally get decent income, we also had car, student loan, and mortgage debt at that point. The only real difference was that we were chomping at the bit to get retirement savings going and did so as soon as a 401K was available. And we never were big spenders nor carried much in the way of credit card debt.  And we didn't get really serious about ramping up savings until several years after that.  I regret how long it took us, for sure, but the OP can certainly build a lot of assets if he stays focused, just as we were able to.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2018, 02:35:19 PM »

We actually have a decent saving already. We donate to it every week from our paychecks automatically.

Excellent!

Silverback761

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2018, 05:30:58 PM »

In my ideal world, if I were to come here and post "I have no savings because I spent everything on my kids having the life I didn't; I have a nearly paid off home, and I have a big pile of debt and I'm considering financing a 40K Camry" I would hope that the following would happen:

Someone would violate my personal privacy and
@Zikoris would literally show up on my doorstep and punch me in the face
@Dicey would tell me a heart wrenching story about her personal experiences that would make me realize that my kids don't need money spent on them to be happy and feel like they have a rich life, and I would cry and say "thank you for sharing" and reflect on what family and happiness mean
@boarder42 would yell at me for paying off my mortgage and would not let me get a word in edgewise until I admit that what I've done is a purely emotional thing and has no basis in math and then he might actually kick me in the shins, not too hard, but enough to leave a bruise, just to make his point
@snacky would be like "oh, are we punching your face? I was distracted by your super cute rescue dogs"
@Laura33 would give me insight into why I spend the way I do, and help me become a better person as a result, and I would cry some more and then become a better person

OP has so many people here that he can learn so much from, and he seems to be taking the very small number of facepunches he's gotten quite well.

It's all just words :-) After 20 yrs in the health field I've grown a very thick skin. If we're talking physical violence and threats, well that's a different story.

In the 48 hrs. since I've discovered the MMM website and these forums I've done nothing but read and research. In between that I've been discussing it all with my wife, crunching numbers, powerlifting, wrestling with my dog and loving my 3 children. In all honesty I would have no problems if I spent my days working making sure my children are successful and never had to struggle like I did growing up before they and my wife came into my life.  I would die a happy man with no regrets knowing this.  As my Gramps used to say - "Retirement?  Time enough in the grave for retirement."

Facepunch me all you want.  I've got a really thick skull according to my wife :-)

Either way I plan to stick around, ask questions and learn as much as I can because this is new to me, interesting and a challenge.

Silverback761

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2018, 05:37:26 PM »
For those curious about my study and for anyone who needs a break facepunching me, I have posted my case study with as much detail as I could.  If I am missing any information, made a mistake, etc. please let me know and I'll do my best to update and or correct it. In the meantime I'm going into my basement to do my Max Effort Leg Day and beat on the Heavy Bag.  Have a great night everyone and look forward to more beatings tomorrow!

Keep It Hard,
Corey

Silverback761

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2018, 05:43:22 PM »

In my ideal world, if I were to come here and post "I have no savings because I spent everything on my kids having the life I didn't; I have a nearly paid off home, and I have a big pile of debt and I'm considering financing a 40K Camry" I would hope that the following would happen:

Someone would violate my personal privacy and
@Zikoris would literally show up on my doorstep and punch me in the face
@Dicey would tell me a heart wrenching story about her personal experiences that would make me realize that my kids don't need money spent on them to be happy and feel like they have a rich life, and I would cry and say "thank you for sharing" and reflect on what family and happiness mean
@boarder42 would yell at me for paying off my mortgage and would not let me get a word in edgewise until I admit that what I've done is a purely emotional thing and has no basis in math and then he might actually kick me in the shins, not too hard, but enough to leave a bruise, just to make his point
@snacky would be like "oh, are we punching your face? I was distracted by your super cute rescue dogs"
@Laura33 would give me insight into why I spend the way I do, and help me become a better person as a result, and I would cry some more and then become a better person

OP has so many people here that he can learn so much from, and he seems to be taking the very small number of facepunches he's gotten quite well.

It's all just words :-) After 20 yrs in the health field I've grown a very thick skin. If we're talking physical violence and threats, well that's a different story.

In the 48 hrs. since I've discovered the MMM website and these forums I've done nothing but read and research. In between that I've been discussing it all with my wife, crunching numbers, powerlifting, wrestling with my dog and loving my 3 children. In all honesty I would have no problems if I spent my days working making sure my children are successful and never had to struggle like I did growing up before they and my wife came into my life.  I would die a happy man with no regrets knowing this.  As my Gramps used to say - "Retirement?  Time enough in the grave for retirement."

Facepunch me all you want.  I've got a really thick skull according to my wife :-)

Either way I plan to stick around, ask questions and learn as much as I can because this is new to me, interesting and a challenge.

Healthcare professional here too ;)

Awesome attitude, you seem to be open to a lot of great input, and there are so many brilliant people here to learn from.
I completely changed my financial/professional trajectory after joining here, and I was already a full fledged mustachian, but my views, presuppositions, and beliefs have been challenged so often that I've done some full on 180s on certain things.

Stick around, take what makes sense, ignore what doesn't, and I guarantee that you will get A LOT of value and insight.
Welcome to the party :D

Thanks and pleasure to meet you :-)  I'm only part time in the health field now as an exercise kinesiologist.  I enjoy helping people so I couldn't leave entirely.  I actually work with my wife now, became maintenance manager fixing old as hell heavy machinery, as I enjoy spending as much time with her as I can.

I'm excited about the challenge and enhancing what brain still fits in my thick skull :-)

snacky

• Senior Mustachian
  • Forum Dignitary
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2018, 08:32:50 PM »
I was summoned and now I need to see the dog(s).

This is my foster fail, Sprocket.

Silverback761

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2018, 02:34:27 AM »
I was summoned and now I need to see the dog(s).

This is my foster fail, Sprocket.

It's a pleasure to meet a fellow foster pet person.  My wife and I foster also but generally have a difficult time placing them after they move in and become part of the family...D'oh!  We're getting better at it though :-)

Silverback761

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2018, 05:10:00 AM »
I figured instead of starting a whole new topic I would just continue the conversation here with all my questions unless it's preferred I open a new one?

So after finding out my company does zero matching with their 401K and that we missed the semi annual enrollment date I'm wondering what the next step would be?  We're going to focus on paying down my wife's student loan as her % interest is actually slightly over 6% and we have 6 months to decide before the next enrollment date.  We're also looking into refinancing her student loans to see if we can get a lower interest rate possibly. 

I'm still trying to convince her to sell and or trade in the car for something else, not winning that battle thus far... Her argument is after punching in the numbers in the calculator with the car we can still be FI in roughly 10-15 yrs.  I'm arguing if we scrap it we can be FI in 8-12 yrs. which, considering the beating my body has taken already, works better for me...LoL

As far as the 401k goes we have 43 different investing options to choose from in our plan and not sure how to choose between one or more.  Our cap is $18,000 per year for each of us with an additional $6,000 optional when my wife turns 50 in a couple years.  Are all these choices for 401k investment normal? Does not having company matching drastically change our planning?

It's going to be a busy day for us as we sit down after groceries this morning and start laying down all the numbers and figuring out a plan.

Thank you again to everyone offering advice and links.  Stay cool out there!

LateToTheParty

• Stubble
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2018, 08:37:15 AM »
Hi!  Chiming in. Welcome to the tribe!  As you can see from my handle, I also arrived late to the FI party in my 40s.  I am a healthcare provider, too.  2.5 years into it and we are well on our way. And happier too!
I agree with all the previous advice that you have received. Definitely begin the contributions to tax-advantaged retirement accounts as soon as you can, and fund Roth’s if eligible.

Shave down the big stuff (if you can dump the car, that is ideal, but I know that would be a tough sell for my spouse too)

I will add that the accumulated effects of making small, simple changes ADD UP FAST. These include:
  • Optimize cell phones
  • Optimize grocery spending - meal plan
  • Eliminate eating out
  • Cut the cable
  • Optimize insurance plans by cost-comparison
  • Optimize entertainment budget

What worked for us is to each have a small monthly personal budget for which we have free rein. We keep the amount small -$100 each, but it has eliminated the problem of mindless credit card swiping. My husband pulls his out in cash, and I track my expenses in Mint.

Best wishes.

Silverback761

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2018, 10:13:03 AM »
Hi!  Chiming in. Welcome to the tribe!  As you can see from my handle, I also arrived late to the FI party in my 40s.  I am a healthcare provider, too.  2.5 years into it and we are well on our way. And happier too!
I agree with all the previous advice that you have received. Definitely begin the contributions to tax-advantaged retirement accounts as soon as you can, and fund Roth’s if eligible.

Shave down the big stuff (if you can dump the car, that is ideal, but I know that would be a tough sell for my spouse too)

I will add that the accumulated effects of making small, simple changes ADD UP FAST. These include:
  • Optimize cell phones
  • Optimize grocery spending - meal plan
  • Eliminate eating out
  • Cut the cable
  • Optimize insurance plans by cost-comparison
  • Optimize entertainment budget

What worked for us is to each have a small monthly personal budget for which we have free rein. We keep the amount small -$100 each, but it has eliminated the problem of mindless credit card swiping. My husband pulls his out in cash, and I track my expenses in Mint.

Best wishes.

Thanks for the tip on a small spending allowance!!!

As for the car, I actually manage to convince her to sell / trade it in if we can find and acceptable replacement in the 5k - 10k range. I actually have a 2006 Dodge Dakota Sport we own outright but last yr or so it has started breaking do a lot and the gas mileage is 15 mpg highway downhill with the wind at our back...lol I forgot about because it's in the shop getting an entire new rear end installed that I don't have the tools to do myself or I would have. We're discussing whether to try and stick with it or scrap them both for something else. Anyone have any advice?

Holocene

• Bristles
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2018, 10:21:07 AM »
I figured instead of starting a whole new topic I would just continue the conversation here with all my questions unless it's preferred I open a new one?
I think you'll get more valuable advice if you post a case study or at least post more information here.  We're still missing a lot of important information like your total income, your marginal tax bracket, assets in your savings account, the approximate value of your house, your current expenses, how much extra money you have each month after expenses.  Without these, it's hard to give good advice.  You also mentioned moving.  What your current house is worth and what kind of living situation you'll be moving to (renting, buying a new house - less expensive or more expensive) will affect the advice as well.  If you weren't moving, I'd tell you to consider doing a cash-out refinance and invest anything you can pull out.  If you're buying a new house, I'd recommend getting a mortgage on the new house and invest any proceeds from your current house sale.

So after finding out my company does zero matching with their 401K and that we missed the semi annual enrollment date I'm wondering what the next step would be?  We're going to focus on paying down my wife's student loan as her % interest is actually slightly over 6% and we have 6 months to decide before the next enrollment date.  We're also looking into refinancing her student loans to see if we can get a lower interest rate possibly.
That's too bad about the 401k match and that you can't enroll immediately.  Maybe double check with HR and see if there's anything they can do to help you enroll now.  The other retirement option available to you is an IRA.  Depending on your income, you may eligible for a Traditional IRA, Roth IRA, or Non-Deductible IRA which can then be converted to a Roth IRA (ie. backdoor IRA).  The traditional IRA would be the most ideal in your situation with no retirement savings.  We can help you figure out what you're eligible for if you post some more numbers on your income and tax situation.  You can each contribute $5,500 to an IRA.

How much  do you owe on the student loan at 6%?  Re-financing sounds like a good idea to look into.  Paying on the 6% rate wouldn't be a terrible idea.  But with your lack of savings, I'd still prefer the money go into tax-advantaged retirement accounts.

As far as the 401k goes we have 43 different investing options to choose from in our plan and not sure how to choose between one or more.  Our cap is $18,000 per year for each of us with an additional $6,000 optional when my wife turns 50 in a couple years.  Are all these choices for 401k investment normal? Does not having company matching drastically change our planning?
I think most of us here believe in investing in low-cost index funds whenever possible.  With 43 options, hopefully you have something like this available in your 401k.  Post the options with the expense ratio (ER) and we can help you find something if you're not sure.  The 401k limit is actually $18,500 this year for each of you.  Not having a company match does not change anything.  I'd still recommend maxing both of them out if you can.  As well as $5500 each into an IRA.  If you have a high-deductible health plan, you may be able to contribute to a Health Savings Account (HSA) as well.  This would actually be the first thing I'd contribute to, but you need to be eligible for it.  I'd max out all these before pre-paying any more debt.

Silverback761

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2018, 11:02:10 AM »
I actually did post my case study last night if that helps at all. Should I post it on here as well?

We actually have almost 20k in saving atm for emergencies.

We're considering not moving now if the numbers add as they appear to in the calculator and what I posted in our case study. I've survived here 8 yrs. What's another 10-15. We have really good surrounding neighbors. It's the ones adjacent with constant police visits driving me mad...

Plus I grew up in the country with no neighbors and we live in the city now where I'm surrounded with constant noise because it was 5 min from work.

Are multiple attachments allowed in a post or is there a limit?

I figured would be easier and provide all the info needed if I just scanned each page and post here.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 11:38:57 AM by Silverback761 »

Kierun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2018, 11:39:02 AM »
Now that your case study is up, things will gravitate towards that thread and this one will get buried

Silverback761

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2018, 11:59:55 AM »
Ok, I will stop posting on this thread after this post 😎. Thanks again everyone!!!