Author Topic: New Heater and AC  (Read 2841 times)

• Bristles
New Heater and AC
« on: April 04, 2015, 11:27:43 AM »
I've started the process to buy a new heater and air conditioner.  I'm getting quotes from three main local firms.  Does anybody have any advice on brand names?  I will probably check out Consumer Reports.  Does anybody have any advice on how much price negotiation is normal after I get the quotes?  Anything else?  Thanks.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 11:30:46 AM by 2527 »

RH

• Stubble
Re: New Heater and AC
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2015, 11:40:33 AM »
I got 10% knocked off by saying I would pay cash and asked they meet a cheaper competitors bid that I really didn't have. Made them toss in a fancy wifi thermostat for free too.Went with Carrier.

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2015, 11:51:28 AM »
Thanks.

dabears847

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2015, 07:56:33 PM »
I've started the process to buy a new heater and air conditioner.  I'm getting quotes from three main local firms.  Does anybody have any advice on brand names?  I will probably check out Consumer Reports.  Does anybody have any advice on how much price negotiation is normal after I get the quotes?  Anything else?  Thanks.

I got almost half off the whole setup after five bids, I said I had lower bids and didn't share all the details. Make sure to have one of the bigger regional providers come out for bids and try to compare the same brand like Lennox.
1st Quote 12,000 from the local hvac guy the whole block trusted. Final price 6,000 for 15 year parts labor and cleaning from Four Seasons. This was fives years ago and it worked out great.

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2015, 08:17:33 PM »
Wow.  Sounds like buying a new car, only worse.  Thanks. 

Retired To Win

• Handlebar Stache
  • making the most of my time and my money
    • Retired To Win
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2015, 08:41:57 PM »
I've started the process to buy a new heater and air conditioner. I'm getting quotes from three main local firms.  Does anybody have any advice on brand names?  I will probably check out Consumer Reports.  Does anybody have any advice on how much price negotiation is normal after I get the quotes?  Anything else?  Thanks.

I got almost half off the whole setup after five bids, I said I had lower bids and didn't share all the details. Make sure to have one of the bigger regional providers come out for bids and try to compare the same brand like Lennox.
1st Quote 12,000 from the local hvac guy the whole block trusted. Final price 6,000 for 15 year parts labor and cleaning from Four Seasons. This was fives years ago and it worked out great.

I've had similar experiences with a variety of home improvement projects, including installation of a whole house backup generator.  So my advice is to keep requesting bids and negotiating until one of your bidding companies comes in around 50% of your highest bid.  And, yes, that usually takes me anywhere from 4 to 8 bids.  Stopping at 3 bids won't cut it unless you get really lucky.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!