Author Topic: Need advice on buying hair clippers.  (Read 7101 times)

PerpetualWanderlust

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Need advice on buying hair clippers.
« on: May 15, 2017, 06:42:22 PM »
Was going to start cutting my own hair to save money because...well...getting haircuts is expensive. Plus, the last 10+ haircuts I've paid for (all around $25) have all been average, at best. I figure if I put in the work, I can learn to give myself a simple, effective haircut for next to nothing.

Any advice on which set/brand of hair clippers / hair cutting set to buy? The prices vary so much, and I'm not sure how much different the quality of product is.

Thanks!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
Re: Need advice on buying hair clippers.
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2017, 06:49:12 PM »
Our Wahl clippers have lasted 4 or 5 years now, still going strong. They're awesome. "Body groomers" don't seem to last as long. We use these on the neckline to shave it clean and trim the edges. You *can* just use a razor for this, but if you're doing body hair maintenance too, they may be worth it.

Corded seems to be the key to a long life. These are the hair clippers we use: https://www.amazon.com/Wahl-Chrome-Pro-Haircut-79524-2501/dp/B0026IBSVE/

inline five

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2017, 06:52:59 PM »
I have Wahl clippers

wanderingdomer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2017, 06:59:06 PM »
I'll third the Wahl clippers. I've had my Wahl Color Pro for at least 11 years and they still work great for cutting my own hair. I lost a screw when cleaning a blade but Wahl sent another one free.

sisto

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2017, 07:30:34 PM »
I usually buy Wahl too. I've been buying them every few years for many years now. They don't last me as long as most on here, but I also probably do a lot more haircuts with mine. I suggest using a handheld mirror to see the back of your head.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2017, 07:34:27 PM »
I usually buy Wahl too. I've been buying them every few years for many years now. They don't last me as long as most on here, but I also probably do a lot more haircuts with mine. I suggest using a handheld mirror to see the back of your head.

Well, we cut my husband's hair every 2 weeks and it's extremely thick. =) But I will say, coarser hair textures would likely be harder on it- I know ethnic background can play into hair care needs substantially, and this would be one of those situations.

That all being said, do you follow cleaning and oiling guidelines provided by the company? It helps a ton. If you don't oil the blades, there's too much friction and it burns up the motor (is my non-engineery understanding of what happens).

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2017, 08:27:18 PM »
Wahl, Color Pro. After use, brush out the hair and oil per the directions.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2017, 08:40:11 PM »
Another vote for Wahl. I got the $20 version at Sam's club 5 years ago, no idea about the exact model. Good as new. I oil it every other haircut.

This thing paid for itself after haircut #2, and I'm on haircut #80 or thereabouts.

mjs111

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2017, 09:03:08 PM »
I've used the same pair of Wahl clippers for the last 12 years.  Depending on your age you may only need to buy a Wahl hair clipper once.

Mike

woody51285

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2017, 09:11:17 PM »
I have had great luck with dog clippers.
They seem to be more heavy - duty and better built. Current pair are over 2 years old and going strong with a haircut about every 2 weeks.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2017, 09:25:43 PM »
I buy Wahl clippers - the $20-$25 ones.  My first set lasted about 8-9 years with little to no maintenance and cutting my hair and my oldest son's hair about once every week or two.  On my second set now.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2017, 09:42:59 PM »
I am on our second set of Wahl clippers, current pair being the color version or the next higher cost ones up (without a ton of accessories).   I had thought it was just cheap clippers, at first,  but after the third cut, they seem to start pulling at my son's hair -- and the last haircut was, well, not good.  (hair on top did not cut as short as on the side, despite using the same blade guard, running over it a few times,  etc).

I oil every 2nd use, too.  It seems that about half way through they just stop cutting as well.  I think it is his extremely thick and coarse hair.   Am I the only one to have trouble?

Anyway,  this photo is the sort of challenge I am faced with before cutting with the clippers.  (not my son, internet photo)

iluvzbeach

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2017, 09:53:14 PM »
Wahl clippers from Costco ($20) about 8-9 years ago. They get used at least once a month, still going strong.

bortman

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2017, 07:15:41 AM »
https://www.amazon.com/Wahl-Lithium-Ion-Clipper-79600-2101/dp/B0058SY1X6

I bought this kit two years ago to replace my old off-brand corded clippers.

I paid $45 at the time.

The large clipper is fantastic and can do several haircuts on a single charge. The only complaint I have about the smaller trimmer is that it runs on 2 AA batteries. It would have been much better if both trimmers used li-ion.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 07:10:53 PM by bortman »

Spitfire

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2017, 07:43:09 AM »
I also have wahl corded clippers. I buzz it once a week with no guard and have had these for 10 years I think.

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2017, 07:46:53 AM »
Have Wahl clippers that came with a whole mess of different color coded guards, even have right/left side over ear tapers. And oil, cleaning brush and two combs and pro scissors. Got it a few years ago off the shelf at Target for $18. Definitely agree on the corded being more reliable.

MrDelane

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2017, 08:17:44 AM »
I'll add to the chorus of people recommending Wahl clippers.
Corded is DEFINITELY the way to go.

Purchased in 1995, I think, for about $25 or so (I tried searching the model number online and only came up with one for sale on Ebay listed as 'vintage.').  I've used them about twice a month to cut my hair for the past 22 years.

That's about 528 hair cuts... figure $20 a hair cut (on the low end) and they've saved me at least $10,560 so far.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2017, 08:37:40 AM »
I have had great luck with dog clippers.
They seem to be more heavy - duty and better built. Current pair are over 2 years old and going strong with a haircut about every 2 weeks.

THIS.   We went through 3-4 pairs of various cost levels of Wahl clippers before we finally bought a dog grooming Andis clipper.  I notice they seem to run at a lower rpm and with a bit more power.... as if they're geared differently.

I will say: We do also use it on the dogs.  And one dog has a REALLY thick undercoat.  I am pretty sure that is what wore out the Wahls.

RobFIRE

• Bristles
  • Projected FIRE May 2020
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2017, 08:12:59 AM »
I recently bought a pair of Wahl Elite Pro corded clippers, were £50 in the UK.
They replaced a ~10 year old cheap pair from a different brand whose blade had gone blunt, and had never cut all that well (took several passes to cut; could not even find replacement blade for sale).

The Wahl certainly seem built to last to me and cut very well with little effort (as a 30-something guy slowly going bald I am now just going for the 'crew cut' look).

Having looked into the cordless ones I think they have the obvious issue of a proprietary battery eventually failing, and secondly that they are underpowered.

I briefly looked at the cheaper Wahl options but thought that the relatively small saving was unlikely to be worth it, and would rather pay a bit more upfront for higher build quality (hopefully). I expect these Wahl ones will still be going in 20 years, so for £50 outlay will save 20 x 12 x £10 per haircut  = £2500 or so (before inflation).

moonpalace

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2017, 08:44:47 AM »
I used Wahl for years but they did wear out on me after about 5 years per pair.

So I switched to Oster Fast Feed corded a few years ago and it seems much more powerful and higher quality. About $50 instead of $30 for Wahl.

spokey doke

• Pencil Stache
  • Escaped from the ivory tower basement
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2017, 08:22:24 AM »
I've been using clippers to shave my head for about 20 years. I had a couple pairs of Wahl clippers and both got the job done (not very well) for a while then died.  I then tried Andis, which was better, but also bogged down a lot and crapped out.  I splurged on a pair of Oster Classics and while the speed varies in weird ways, they have been much better than all the others...smooth, powerful, effective.

MMM98

• Stubble
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2017, 08:44:19 AM »
My corded Wahl clippers are from 1998.  Since purchase I have only had one problem with the cord which broke at the bend point.  I soldered a new one in place and no problems since.  Mine is US made, cost under 20.00 USD back then.  Have never been sharpened or had the blades replaced.  I have oiled the blades.  The plastic guides have been replaced

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2017, 09:50:32 AM »
How do you guys clean up after hair cuts?

Any tips? I feel bad for leaving little bits of hair in between the tiles of the bathroom floor

I am considering a pair of cordless clippers and just standing in the tub and cutting my hair before I shower

I just sweep, but we have linoleum, not tile. That doesn't help... maybe get one of those hair cutter capes? That's what my mom used to do for my dad and brothers. Then it collects on the cape mainly and you can dump it that way.

I also find the hair kinda accumulates on the buzzer. I have my husband hold a little trash can, and I just tap the hair off into it as I go. Very little hair to sweep up as a result. Not sure if this only works with short cuts though.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2017, 09:58:25 AM »

Any tips? I feel bad for leaving little bits of hair in between the tiles of the bathroom floor

I am considering a pair of cordless clippers and just standing in the tub and cutting my hair before I shower

I just sweep, but we have linoleum, not tile. That doesn't help... maybe get one of those hair cutter capes? That's what my mom used to do for my dad and brothers. Then it collects on the cape mainly and you can dump it that way.

I also find the hair kinda accumulates on the buzzer. I have my husband hold a little trash can, and I just tap the hair off into it as I go. Very little hair to sweep up as a result. Not sure if this only works with short cuts though.

We just sweep.  We also do most of this outside on the back porch unless temperatures are sub-freezing.  Sweep into a pile, toss over the fence for birds to use as nesting material.

Enigma

• Bristles
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2017, 10:07:52 AM »
I also use Wahl and have a handheld mirror that I put in the shower on the shower rings.  About every 10 days I use guard 6, 7, or 8 and cut my hair everywhere.  Then I use a number 2 on the sides with my hand on the top of my head to keep the hair longer on top (something I picked up from a youtube video).

Cleanup is easy because 95% of the hair is in the shower and can be swept into a pile using my foot.  Then I wash it all off.
The last straw I had was when the mall wanted to charge $35 for a basic haircut.  I almost always tipped $5 or $10 as well.

MrDelane

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2017, 10:15:09 AM »

I guess it depends on how involved your hair cut is - mine is pretty simple and I can do it with my eyes closed at this point.
I cut my hair before taking and shower (which I need to do regardless to get all the shaved bits out of my hair when I'm finished).
I lean over the tub and then just sweep up everything I can when I'm done.
The tiny bit that is left gets run down the drain when I run the shower.

Doesn't take much time at all.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2017, 10:15:41 AM »
I put a sheet of newspaper on the floor that catches most of the hair. Vacuum the rest of the tile bathroom floor. Jump in the shower right after.

sisto

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2017, 03:42:39 PM »
For cleanup I run the vacuum first and then I use a damp cloth to hand mop up any stray hair.

martyconlonontherun

• Bristles
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2019, 08:40:33 AM »
Bump.

Had a Wahl for a couple years, but they aren't the greatest. Got the job done but since I plan on cutting my hair for years. I want something that does a little nicer on both short and long. I feel the Wahl was a little limited and the handle to adjust the depth wasnt stable enough to trust.

I won a $100 gift card, so was thinking of using that.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!