Author Topic: Name your "side hustle"  (Read 53468 times)

StockBeard

• Pencil Stache
Re: Name your "side hustle"
« Reply #50 on: October 27, 2017, 12:55:23 AM »
Anybody have a website associated with their side hustle?  I want one for my screen printing, from which people can buy shirts.  How much would a basic site cost to set up?
You can pretty much set up a basic website for free on wordpress. But it won't give you a "clean" url, which is something you'll want in the long term.

If you want to own your own website with associated url, etc... you might have to pay for the domain name, hosting services, etc...
Domain name + server can cost you from $100 to much more per year.

Then if you want someone else to actually install or build the site for you, you'd have to pay for that (again, that part you can do on your own with wordpress + a few plugins if you put the time to learn a bit. Setting up a blog with wordpress is easy, turning it into an online store has a bit more implications - need to find the right plugin, security concerns, etc...)

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #51 on: October 27, 2017, 03:58:48 AM »
PTF

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #52 on: October 27, 2017, 05:14:04 AM »
Teaching English online to kids in China. My referral link is in my signature.

ETA: I made about $800 last month. Once I ER and have more time, I'll up this to $1500/mo.
How many hours per month do you work (not just face to face time) for the $800? How many hours do you expect to earn for the $1500?

Smokystache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #53 on: October 27, 2017, 11:13:04 AM »
Sell non-fiction booklets and other printed materials to a niche business and provide workshops, trainings, presentations to businesses and communities.

Captain Cactus

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #54 on: October 28, 2017, 05:01:09 AM »
Anybody have a website associated with their side hustle?  I want one for my screen printing, from which people can buy shirts.  How much would a basic site cost to set up?
You can pretty much set up a basic website for free on wordpress. But it won't give you a "clean" url, which is something you'll want in the long term.

If you want to own your own website with associated url, etc... you might have to pay for the domain name, hosting services, etc...
Domain name + server can cost you from $100 to much more per year.

Thank you for your reply.  If I have a solid, professional site, and pay for SEO from somebody that knows what they're doing, I recognize there is a cost to this.  Is there generally a good ROI with SEO?  How does that compare to print advertising in magazines?

Then if you want someone else to actually install or build the site for you, you'd have to pay for that (again, that part you can do on your own with wordpress + a few plugins if you put the time to learn a bit. Setting up a blog with wordpress is easy, turning it into an online store has a bit more implications - need to find the right plugin, security concerns, etc...)

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #55 on: October 28, 2017, 05:48:29 AM »
Veterinary writing and consultant to a few start-ups. Currently bringing in ~$3000/month. SO tempted to quit my FT job, but I'm still scared that the ACA will go away, husband has a pre-existing condition, and we can't get insurance through his work. Not sure whether I'm making the right choice to stay in a FT job I hate, or if I'm just being paranoid.

I'd love to talk to you about this when I pull the retirement plug...

Captain DIY

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • DIY to FI
« Reply #56 on: October 28, 2017, 06:12:30 AM »
I work as an electrician full time, so naturally I work as an electrician on the side as well. It's nearly impossible not to do side jobs, as everyone I know has work for me.

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #57 on: October 29, 2017, 12:05:52 PM »
My two hustles:

1. Musician. I am paid $175/week for church services and I play about 3 weddings/funerals per year. I make about $9k/yr from this side hustle.

2.  Amazon.  Buying things at stores and flipping them on Amazon. I am currently making $300/month but am working to get this higher.

What types of things do you flip?

I have considered doing this with clothing but am not sure I will be able to make much of a return.

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #58 on: October 29, 2017, 01:19:34 PM »
I wish someone would pay me to watch my favorite tv shows. : )

wordnerd

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #59 on: October 29, 2017, 01:44:02 PM »

ETA: I made about $800 last month. Once I ER and have more time, I'll up this to $1500/mo.
How many hours per month do you work (not just face to face time) for the $800? How many hours do you expect to earn for the $1500?

I make $20/hr (slightly more when you factor in no shows and random incentives). I think I worked 37 hours in September for the $800. For $1500, I anticipate about 75 hrs a month.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 05:42:36 PM by wordnerd »

Captain Cactus

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #60 on: October 29, 2017, 05:32:16 PM »
Regarding the business website: If I have a solid, professional site, and pay for SEO from somebody that knows what they're doing, I recognize there will be a cost to this.  Is there generally a good ROI with SEO?  How does that compare to print advertising in magazines?

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #61 on: October 30, 2017, 10:23:00 AM »
My two hustles:

1. Musician. I am paid $175/week for church services and I play about 3 weddings/funerals per year. I make about $9k/yr from this side hustle.

2.  Amazon.  Buying things at stores and flipping them on Amazon. I am currently making $300/month but am working to get this higher.

What types of things do you flip?

I have considered doing this with clothing but am not sure I will be able to make much of a return.

Mostly books, but I'm getting into grocery items and personal care stuff too.  You go into discount stores and buy books for a couple books which go for $15+ on Amazon and Ebay, then resell them. Granted, you don't make as much as one would expect in profit.  There are tons of fees.  It's pretty entertaining though, it's a chance to do the consumerism "splurge", and you get a lot of strange looks at the check out with 2 carts full of books

I once bought 3 carts of lightbulbs and the person in line next to me asked if I was starting a disco club. Lol

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #62 on: October 30, 2017, 12:30:19 PM »
My new temporary side hustle is reselling clothes on eBay. A family member who is obsessed with clothes unloaded 3 contractor-sized bags FULL of designer clothes on me this weekend. With probably another 2 more to go. I dropped off the “worst” of it at goodwill and still have probably 30+ pounds of J Crew, Lily Pulitzer, and more.

mistershankly

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #63 on: October 30, 2017, 06:17:21 PM »
Regarding the business website: If I have a solid, professional site, and pay for SEO from somebody that knows what they're doing, I recognize there will be a cost to this.  Is there generally a good ROI with SEO?  How does that compare to print advertising in magazines?

Rather than build a Wordpress site from scratch with all of the startup maintenance issues (e.g. credit card transaction issues, fulfillment, site navigation and uptime issues, etc), start a store on Shopify with your domain and then migrate to your own Wordpress site later when you feel more comfortable with the technology and, more importantly, the viability of your business in what is a highly competitive market.  You'll initially give up some profits for convenience and stability, but it'll get you going without the learning curve of building Wordpress sites.  Alternatives to Shopify are Big Commerce and Woo Commerce.  They all have their pros and cons but you can get started with all of them depending on which one looks more attractive to you.  As far as SEO goes, here is an article on Shopify that will give you some insight of what you do and don't have control over... https://www.shopify.com/blog/70627717-the-basics-of-search-engine-optimization-for-your-shopify-store.

Here is a good podcast to listen to to get an idea of what people are doing in the world of ecommerce, including Amazon FBA and eventually building your own Wordpress site... https://mywifequitherjob.com/category/podcast

Don't be intimidated by ecommerce and the ecosystem around it.  Take one step at a time and learn something new about it every day until you feel comfortable.

csr

• Stubble
« Reply #64 on: October 30, 2017, 08:52:45 PM »
I'm going to be a skating rink guard and instructor with the City this winter (my first time). Downsides are limited hours, at/near minimum wage, fixed schedule, and freezing my butt off. But it should be fun =)

HawkeyeNFO

• Bristles
  • Retired at 44.....back to work at 45
« Reply #65 on: October 31, 2017, 08:30:12 AM »
Don't be intimidated by ecommerce and the ecosystem around it.  Take one step at a time and learn something new about it every day until you feel comfortable.

Frankly, mistershankly offers good advice.  Don't be afraid to learn.

LadyDividend

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Lady Dividend
« Reply #66 on: October 31, 2017, 08:36:04 AM »
We have a new "side hustle" which is offering a room as a homestay. Part of the agreement is that we provide breakfasts and 5 home cooked meals a week. We already cook so why not? Plus we will get to learn about someone from another country and can claim 1/3 of our home, internet and food expenses (as there is a third person now living with us).

frenchsquared

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #67 on: November 01, 2017, 11:02:37 AM »

Your idea is interesting. I am a Senior PHP Developer specialized in Point of Sales systems.
I also have a degree in graphic design.
I have been wanting to get into screen printing.

A basic site is like $800. A basic site does not included processing payments. If you were to ask me for a one off payment solution we would start at $2500 for paypal and quickly get to $10,000. 

CogentCap

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #68 on: November 02, 2017, 05:09:58 PM »
Basic website? Before you pay anyone any money make sure you do some research. Don't waste your money like 95% of the businesses do. If you want to use a website to sell, you need a great website with built in SEO. And once you have all of that, what is your marketing plan? I can make you a basic website in about 15 minutes..... I'd do it for $250..... but it won't net you any profit. It just doesn't work like that and people have lost millions to prove it doesn't work like that.

Hi SC93, thanks for that.  I have some learning to do about websites and SEO.  What is meant by built in SEO?

Hi Cactus,

It sounds like you're pretty unfamiliar with website/design etc.  But don't worry, you can still sell your screenprinted stuff online without having to design your own website (maybe you already are doing this, I don't know).  Because unless you already have clientele who are hammering on your door, demanding a way to buy your products online, I can pretty much guarantee you that you'll have better success selling online via other, established platforms. 

Etsy is likely to be your best bet. They also have the benefit of easy and effective promotion (just click a button) that will get your product in front of lots of eyes who are looking for exactly what you sell.
Also consider Redbubble, Society6, and of course Amazon and Ebay ("Amazon Merch" is something you mght want to look into as well).

If you aren't already doing this, it will be a very easy way to sell online without putting up any of your own money.

Captain Cactus

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #69 on: January 10, 2018, 08:00:33 AM »
Thank you all for your replies.  So much to think about.  I'm now considering the option of contracting out the screen printing itself to a local vendor to avoid the upfront capital cost of equipment purchase. 

nemesis

• Bristles
« Reply #70 on: January 10, 2018, 08:25:31 AM »
My side hustle is life coaching.  I'm a very advanced pro at life, in business and personal, so I help train other people to be more proficient at their lives.

I'm already FIREd but choose to work because I get paid to do what I enjoy, so why the heck not?  :)

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #71 on: January 10, 2018, 10:52:10 AM »
We have a new "side hustle" which is offering a room as a homestay. Part of the agreement is that we provide breakfasts and 5 home cooked meals a week. We already cook so why not? Plus we will get to learn about someone from another country and can claim 1/3 of our home, internet and food expenses (as there is a third person now living with us).
How did you find, get the homestay?  Can you specify English speakers? For how long? Can you give an idea on how much you are getting?
Do you mean 'claim  tax deductions'?

BuildingmyFIRE

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #72 on: January 10, 2018, 01:18:11 PM »
My new temporary side hustle is reselling clothes on eBay. A family member who is obsessed with clothes unloaded 3 contractor-sized bags FULL of designer clothes on me this weekend. With probably another 2 more to go. I dropped off the “worst” of it at goodwill and still have probably 30+ pounds of J Crew, Lily Pulitzer, and more.

I am a little jealous.  What's your eBay account name?  Do you give Moustacian discounts?  :)

Captain Cactus

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #73 on: January 10, 2018, 07:07:13 PM »
Welcome to the world of MMM!  It has changed my life and introduced me to so many new ideas.  I can't "un-know" this knowledge now that I've seen it.  Pretty awesome.  Good luck and thanks for your two cents!

My side hustle is being a realtor. Mostly represent buyers. This is in Alberta, Canada. I make more money on my side hustle than my actual job. Typical commission for a sale is $6-$10k. Though I am not a hustler in the salesperson sense, I actually am just honest and don't pressure people into things. Last year I grossed $120k, working a lot in the spring and summer, but overall probably only 15-20 hours a week (in deep winter like now there isn't much going on, it's around -22F today).

Licensing and operating costs are about $10-$12k per year for me, but I also get to claim 70% of vehicle expenses and other home office things that I wouldn't otherwise. I pay $200/month for services from my local brokerage instead $2000/month like the dorks at Re/Max do.

I have another full time job as a research associate at the local university which I am able to work around easily, as it is mostly research and writing and I get to work from home. That's $75k/year with a great pension, though it is only on 1 year contracts so not a lot of long term stability.

We are trying to pay off our mortgage this year (I bought a very un-moustachian house for over $600k back in 2015, though we have 7 year old vehicles that we purchased used, and my wife makes only slightly less than me so it's not the end of the world if we curb expenses). We are 30 and starting a family which led me to this blog and forum!

TexasRunner

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #74 on: January 11, 2018, 07:33:18 AM »
We are trying to pay off our mortgage this year (I bought a very un-moustachian house for over $600k back in 2015, though we have 7 year old vehicles that we purchased used, and my wife makes only slightly less than me so it's not the end of the world if we curb expenses). We are 30 and starting a family which led me to this blog and forum!

In general, if it isn't something you would buy today, then you should sell it.

Something to consider.

Also note, it makes much more sense mathematically to max out pre-tax accounts and (possibly) invest in the market in taxable before paying off the mortgage.  Just depends on the specific rates and loan size.

lindy_zag

• Stubble
« Reply #75 on: January 11, 2018, 10:58:59 AM »
Freelance writing (web content, SEO type stuff) averaging about $500/month and babysitting averaging about $250/month.

For freelancing, I found a woman on Craigslist three years ago who was starting a content marketing business and she's hired about six of us to farm work out to. She does all the client interaction, and just sends me assignments. I could make more money by doing it directly, but it's worth it to me to have it be so simple. I don't have to look for work or cultivate those relationships, she does all that for me. Our only interaction has ever been over email, she's super communicative, pays on time over PayPal every week, and the money is good.

I started babysitting again when I moved in Nov 2016 because I was unemployed. Now I have a few families that I've maintained relationships with and they usually each call me about once a month for a gig. I don't really go looking for those either except for sometimes when I have high spending months/no weekend plans I'll look for a job on Care.

big_slacker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #76 on: January 11, 2018, 12:01:22 PM »
Doing consulting work which is the same type as my day job. Regular rates are $125-$175/hr. Did around $30k last year (only did it within a 6 month period) so that could double this year.

Justo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #77 on: January 12, 2018, 01:57:53 PM »
What's up guys! This is my first post ever on Mr Money Mustache. I have been a reader for a while, but I thought I'd join officially. My side-hustles are as followed:

- Modeling (I'm signed to a modeling agency)
- Graphic Design (this ranges from designing logos, creating snapchat geofilters, creating flyers, and etc.)
- E-Commerce Store
- Trading Stocks
- Trading Cryptocurrency
- Random Assortment of referrals

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #78 on: January 13, 2018, 04:26:42 PM »
@Justo are you a male model or a female model? My roommate wants to be a male model and I think he has the right measurements (or close to it).

I'm thinking about being a residential electrician and a piano teacher as side hustles.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #79 on: January 13, 2018, 04:35:42 PM »
Market neutral options trader.  Basically a net seller of time premium.  $2k-$4k per month.

I would be very interested in any resource to learn about this.

Mine is cryptocurrency mining. Right now I make ~$500/mo, but the market is abnormally high right now.

Brother Esau

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #80 on: January 13, 2018, 04:42:55 PM »
my side piece is AutoCAD drafting as well. I worked for a small Civil/Survey firm from late high school (94) until the housing crash (08) when the company folded. In January 16, I got a call from one of the guys I used to work with asking if I had any interest in doing some overflow drafting work for him. I said sure and he bought me a laptop and software subscription and off I went. All of our correspondence is email, text and phone  with him mailing me checks and 1099ing me at the end of the year. Was expecting maybe $6-8k/year but ended up just shy of $35k (pre-tax) last year and am trending to about the same this year. I haven't been good about tracking my actual time, since he pays me by the job, but I'd estimate it's roughly $60-70hr (pre-tax). Plus, if it continues it'll be a nice, location independent part time gig once I can hang it up at my full time job.

Sweet! I'm an engineer and surveyor and hope to follow your lead on the part time "side gig". Our industry seems well suited for that.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #81 on: January 13, 2018, 09:45:10 PM »
I started babysitting again when I moved in Nov 2016 because I was unemployed. Now I have a few families that I've maintained relationships with and they usually each call me about once a month for a gig. I don't really go looking for those either except for sometimes when I have high spending months/no weekend plans I'll look for a job on Care.

Out of curiosity, how much do you charge?

Bluejay1975

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #82 on: January 14, 2018, 08:47:51 AM »
I grew up on a farm and mowed lawns as a kid so I've picked that back up in my free time.  5 of my neighbors are elderly so I just mow pretty much the entire block when it's time to mow my own lawn.  Takes me about 3 hours to do all 6 yards.  That alone provided over 3k in profits last year (and I lost about 15 lbs last year).  On the weekends and during the summer (I'm a teacher) I also work on my parents farm or at their 4 rental houses.  I love the manual labor on the side and have learned lots of new skills.  Took me 2 days to replace an entire bathroom in one of the rentals this past weekend when it would have taken me 2 weeks a few years ago.  My dad is getting older so I've pretty much become the landlord to the rentals.  If things go well in 2018 I should make 6 figures.  I teach AP classes all day and it is very fast paced so my side gigs are nice outlets. 

Justo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #83 on: January 15, 2018, 07:01:39 AM »
@Justo are you a male model or a female model? My roommate wants to be a male model and I think he has the right measurements (or close to it).

I'm thinking about being a residential electrician and a piano teacher as side hustles.

Haha I'm a guy, so I'm a male model. I tell anyone who's interested in modeling to at least give it a try. There are modeling agencies every where; I would go into a modeling agency (during their open calls) and see if they'd like to represent you. It's literally that easy and that's what I did. I didn't just go to one, I went to a few, but one finally picked me up.

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #84 on: January 15, 2018, 12:47:05 PM »
Thanks @Justo!

lindy_zag

• Stubble
« Reply #85 on: January 22, 2018, 02:43:38 PM »

Out of curiosity, how much do you charge?

@PDXTabs - I charge $15/hr typically, although I have one family that pays $20. It's all cash and I only accept jobs when I have no other plans, and half the time I'm being paid to read/watch TV. So it's a pretty good gig.

deek

• Bristles
« Reply #86 on: February 25, 2018, 03:53:02 PM »
What was your first side gig?

I just don't know of any specialized skills I have that others would pay for. I really want to get a move on with paying off my student loan and/or contributing to an IRA, and just getting another $200-$300 a month would be awesome. Having a hell of a time thinking about what I could do though.

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #87 on: February 26, 2018, 11:35:12 AM »
I was hoping to see someone mention cleaning.

I keep coming across this side hustle amongst others who have grown it into a full time gig. 

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #88 on: February 26, 2018, 11:56:45 AM »
Reselling products on Amazon and eBay. Typically clearance items purchased in stores or online. Started last year and broken even on about $500 in total sales. Picked it up a lot in the last month or so and I'm currently at about $1,400 in sales with a gross profit of about $400 after shipping and selling fees. From that I still have to deduct some shipping supplies and a few other expenses. I'm hoping to get it up to a net profit of $1,000 a month or so to supplement my full-time job (and second career in the National Guard). This weekend I just picked up a couple of pool pumps that were $80 and normally retail for $400 as well as some LED light bulbs for $4 that normally retail for $12. The latter I'm debating whether or not to go clear the shelves and pickup a few hundred. The margins aren't great but they sell a dozen or more a day on Amazon.

I'm also in the early stages of trying to create a website that will serve as a referral source to some clothing items on Amazon. For now I'm in the minimum viable product stage. The website is up with some very minimal content just to get the clock ticking on the domain name age and experiment with SEO. Hired an artist on Fiverr for $15 to make an initial concept t-shirt and put it up for sale with Merch by Amazon (on-demand t-shirt printing). The margins are lower than if I went and bought 100 shirts and had them all printed locally. On the other hand there's no inventory costs and no worries about having a particular variation of size and color that doesn't sell and just sits there costing money. Hoping to get a local artist to produce some better designs and expand into some other related products but I've got several other things on my plate right now and this has gone to the back burner for now.

SC93

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #89 on: February 26, 2018, 01:21:09 PM »
I was hoping to see someone mention cleaning.

I keep coming across this side hustle amongst others who have grown it into a full time gig.

Cleaning is where I made my money at. I started a residential cleaning business with $3.17, a borrowed bottle of window cleaner and a borrowed bottle of shower cleaner. My girlfriend at the time cut up a few bath towels, we used our hunk of junk vacuum and off we went in my 1974 Nova that had the back shocks rusted out so it would drag the fenderwell on the tires part of the time. It quickly grew from 1 account to about 20, then my girlfriend and I split up and I started over. Then I built it to several hundred customers and 12-15 workers depending on the day. That was my base business for 19 years and where I made the bulk of my money. I had other businesses along the way and they made money but the cleaning business was where it was at!! The same can be done with yard work. Great money in doing it a few times a week yourself too. The trick is to know how to clean good and fast. Most people THINK they clean good, but in reality, they don't. Water is your best friend.... not those high priced cleaners that do nothing.

Lmoot

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal
« Reply #90 on: February 26, 2018, 05:46:40 PM »
I've worked at a zoo part time for 5 years. I currently work in the Education department doing presentations and behind scene tours, and most of my gigs are overnight/night tours...so I get paid to sleep :), free dinner and breakfast, and I get my weekend days off. 1-2 sleepovers per week = 16-32 hours. It's a non profit so the pay sucks...I probably only make about $5-7k per year. But it's fun, easy, and fulfilling work.

I also rent out a portion of a property I own. After expenses, I keep about $5k/ year.

I would love to work in environmental conservation full time, or at least part time (as a replacement for my full time job, which is working from home as a medical bill processor). I have to get more rental properties to be able to afford to go back to school for a science degree (if I want a zoo-keeping position), and to afford working a low-wage, competitive job.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 06:05:00 PM by Lmoot »

ETBen

• Bristles
    • I started a journal about single parenting and the new life towards FIRE
« Reply #91 on: February 27, 2018, 08:03:07 PM »
I just started mine. I learned how to build a website, which was pretty fun. I don’t sell a product though. I’m developing content with some colleagues about leadership and professional women. With the goal to leverage that into workshops and speaking engagements

www.leadinginfluencecareers.com

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #92 on: February 28, 2018, 05:44:18 AM »
I do carpentry work on the side (much like MMM). I've rebuilt decks, renovated rooms, built furniture, etc. Pay is sporadic because I don't do it every month. Just when I feel like it. I also still do part-time contract engineering work with my old company. That pay the most, but I also hate it the most.

Captain Cactus

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #93 on: February 28, 2018, 08:18:23 PM »
O0 here.  Love all these ideas!

Goldilocks

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #94 on: March 01, 2018, 04:44:43 AM »
I also teach English online like a previous poster (same company).
And I teach yoga/hold private yoga sessions, but overall haven’t made much with it yet.

Hoping to make the first one my main job, yoga as my side job, and maybe pick up some ideas from this thread for the third one.

Mrbeardedbigbucks

• Stubble
« Reply #95 on: March 01, 2018, 05:53:53 AM »

I make $20/hr (slightly more when you factor in no shows and random incentives). I think I worked 37 hours in September for the $800. For $1500, I anticipate about 75 hrs a month.

My wife also works for VIP Kids and makes roughly $20 per hour teaching English from home. She really seems to enjoy it. I plan on doing the same thing when I'm done with my full time job at the end of the month. Our plan is to both work about 12-14 hours per week and eventually work on the road 3-4 months per year.

goalphish2002

• Bristles
« Reply #96 on: March 01, 2018, 07:11:27 AM »

My wife also works for VIP Kids and makes roughly $20 per hour teaching English from home. She really seems to enjoy it. I plan on doing the same thing when I'm done with my full time job at the end of the month. Our plan is to both work about 12-14 hours per week and eventually work on the road 3-4 months per year.

To become an ESL teacher online, does one generally have to come from a teaching background (education, experience, etc...)?

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #97 on: March 01, 2018, 09:17:25 AM »

To become an ESL teacher online, does one generally have to come from a teaching background (education, experience, etc...)?
I looked into this and they generally just want some degree in something. And you have to use the hand motions to teach, I forget what the method is called. Look up YouTube videos of (esl company interview) and you’ll find a bunch of explanations and walkthroughs. VIPKid has a bunch.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #98 on: March 01, 2018, 08:56:12 PM »
Consulting and Purchasing for optimizing Vacation Rentals

I live in a tourist heavy area that is full of substandard rentals. After 're-doing' a few vacation rentals for a friend, I got more more interest in my services. I've always been somewhat of a bargain hunter, and this resonates well with my clients as they know I won't spend their money frivolously. Plus is that I get to spend time thrifting, which I enjoy, without spending my own money! I make an extra $4-6k a year doing this job and it is fun!

Do you redecorate, refurnish, suggest renovations, or all of those?  What a fun side hustle!

Mrbeardedbigbucks

• Stubble
« Reply #99 on: March 02, 2018, 05:05:53 AM »

I can't speak for other companies requirements but I know VIP Kids requires at least 1 year of teaching experience but you don't have to be a classroom teacher. Teaching experience can be anything from home schooling, working at a summer camp, Boy/Girl Scout leader etc.. They do require at least a bachelors degree.

VIP Kids is like running your own business. You really have to market yourself to get bookings by parents and you have to continue to get certified to teach different levels. Bookings are slow at first. It can take a few months to make an income but once you get regulars, you'll have consistent hours. You can do it from anywhere that has a good WIFI connection. Keep in mind that many of the online teaching companies hire you as an independent contractor which means you're paying 100% of your FICA taxes.