Author Topic: Nail and other salon services - Yikes!  (Read 4689 times)

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Nail and other salon services - Yikes!
« Reply #50 on: May 04, 2021, 12:02:12 PM »
Before judging people who get pedicures, recognize that for some of us, it is difficult to groom our own feet. I have a herniated disk at L5S1 that makes it painful and difficult for me to lean over and take care of clipping, filing, and painting my toenails, and taking care of the callouses.  My quite elderly father (90 years old) was going to a podiatrist until his wife realized that the copay for the podiatrist was more than they would pay at a salon with a nice tip, and the technician at the salon was doing pretty much the same thing for him that the podiatrist did, so now he has standing appointments at the nail place.  J/S

I don't think anyone in this thread is criticizing pedicures. OP was just shocked at what people are willing to pay for nail care on a weekly basis.

Pedicures are great.

I think manicures are overrated though.

I think most mustachians would be shocked at what people are willing to pay for things on a weekly/monthly basis.

Hell, I'm shocked by the things I hear about mustachians paying for on a regular basis.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #51 on: May 04, 2021, 02:25:37 PM »
Before judging people who get pedicures, recognize that for some of us, it is difficult to groom our own feet. I have a herniated disk at L5S1 that makes it painful and difficult for me to lean over and take care of clipping, filing, and painting my toenails, and taking care of the callouses.  My quite elderly father (90 years old) was going to a podiatrist until his wife realized that the copay for the podiatrist was more than they would pay at a salon with a nice tip, and the technician at the salon was doing pretty much the same thing for him that the podiatrist did, so now he has standing appointments at the nail place.  J/S
It's funny you say this, because the last time I worked on my feet I thought about that.  I thought about how it will be harder when I'm older.  And then I wondered - in these retirement homes, is there anyone to care for the residents' feet?  Is it a thing?

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #52 on: May 04, 2021, 02:49:54 PM »
It's funny you say this, because the last time I worked on my feet I thought about that.  I thought about how it will be harder when I'm older.  And then I wondered - in these retirement homes, is there anyone to care for the residents' feet?  Is it a thing?

If you pay someone to come in and do it, then yeah.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #53 on: May 04, 2021, 03:03:35 PM »

It usually doesn't happen. The retirement homes often forbid the aides from trimming toenails because of liability concerns. I've seen some pretty bad feet as a result.  Not much grooming goes on either, since the places are so short staffed.  You see these poor old ladies with blackheads and facial hair because nobody takes care of it for them.  My mom has made me swear to trim her toenails and pluck her chin hairs when she gets too old to do these things herself.

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #54 on: May 04, 2021, 04:24:02 PM »
Team pedicure all the way.  I didn't have my first pedicure until I was probably 40.  Now I'm hooked.  Get 'em twice a year, whether I need 'em or not.  ;-)  Blue toes for summer, purple for football season. 

Honestly, I first went for the same callous/cracking feet issue as others have mentioned; at the time I was running and was pounding the hell out of my feet, and it seemed like a nice treat.  Turns out I REALLY like having colored toenails, since that color doesn't have to be some variant of red. 

Manicures, OTOH, leave me cold.  I mean, sure, a little hand massage is nice, but I lift weights and beat the crap out of my hands, and it's just not worth it.

Pedicures at my place run $35 for a good hour, and I'd be willing to pay that just to sit in the massage chair with the footbath for that long.  I always leave $10 for a tip, so it strikes me as a reasonable luxury -- cheaper than a similarly long massage for sure.  And I save WAY more than that by dyeing my own hair at home (Overtone makes it super easy).

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #55 on: May 04, 2021, 04:54:00 PM »

It usually doesn't happen. The retirement homes often forbid the aides from trimming toenails because of liability concerns. I've seen some pretty bad feet as a result.  Not much grooming goes on either, since the places are so short staffed.  You see these poor old ladies with blackheads and facial hair because nobody takes care of it for them.  My mom has made me swear to trim her toenails and pluck her chin hairs when she gets too old to do these things herself.
I wonder if it's something some volunteers could do?  Hmm... 

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #56 on: May 04, 2021, 05:19:18 PM »

I wonder if it's something some volunteers could do?  Hmm...

I’m guessing in the US, the same liability problems apply.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #57 on: May 05, 2021, 01:24:30 PM »

In my country it's normal that these homes have a resident pedicure and hairdresser. They're technically separate businesses but they rent a salon in the building or visit people in their apartments.

I find it very odd that a care home would not allow their staff to help people with what's basically a hygiene thing. If staff have the necessary certificates to help people with washing, getting dressed, taking medication, putting on compression stockings and whatever they do to help their residents, why would helping someone clip their nails be a special liability?

Pedicures are not the only thing we may need to pay people for when we are older. Many elderly ladies choose to have their hair washed and styled at the salon weekly. Hairdressers often give these ladies a discount so it's not as expensive as it seems. During the first lockdown in my country,  people were very dismissive of those who are too "lazy" to do their own hair, but if you are very old it's tiring to have to lift your hands above your head for a long time to first wash, then dry or style your hair. Especially the ladies that have used old fashioned rollers all their life. I suppose they could get a "practical" hairstyle but I fully understand why some ladies don't want to change their look.

jrhampt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #58 on: May 05, 2021, 01:35:03 PM »
There's a podiatrist who comes in regularly at my father-in-law's assisted living place to do people's toenails.  My other in-laws who are not in assisted living have taken to getting pedicures (mother-in-law and her husband) and they love them.  It's a good point that it's probably less expensive and more fun to just get the pedicure vs going to the podiatrist when you get older.

tipster350

• Bristles
« Reply #59 on: May 05, 2021, 02:52:29 PM »

In my country it's normal that these homes have a resident pedicure and hairdresser. They're technically separate businesses but they rent a salon in the building or visit people in their apartments.

I find it very odd that a care home would not allow their staff to help people with what's basically a hygiene thing. If staff have the necessary certificates to help people with washing, getting dressed, taking medication, putting on compression stockings and whatever they do to help their residents, why would helping someone clip their nails be a special liability?

Pedicures are not the only thing we may need to pay people for when we are older. Many elderly ladies choose to have their hair washed and styled at the salon weekly. Hairdressers often give these ladies a discount so it's not as expensive as it seems. During the first lockdown in my country,  people were very dismissive of those who are too "lazy" to do their own hair, but if you are very old it's tiring to have to lift your hands above your head for a long time to first wash, then dry or style your hair. Especially the ladies that have used old fashioned rollers all their life. I suppose they could get a "practical" hairstyle but I fully understand why some ladies don't want to change their look.

It shouldn't be a surprise to many that the system is completely effed up in the US.

Before my mother went into the nursing home, but had the help of home care aides, the aides were not allowed to cut finger or toenails. I cut her fingernails, and brought her to the podiatrist for foot care. Later on, when it became impossible to get to the podiatrist, we had to get a podiatrist that makes house calls.

When she went into the nursing home, as part of the Medicaid program, she was entitled to a haircut every x weeks. An in-facility salon was there to provide haircuts and manicures (manicures were available at an additional charge). The nursing home was supposed to cut her fingernails, and a podiatrist was sent around every so often to handle foot care. However, the reality was that prior to covid, for cost-cutting measures the salon's hours were cut way back and she was lucky to get a haircut every 2-3 months. Hair washing happened maybe once every 2 weeks. Nail trims were rarely provided by the nursing home staff as they were perenially short staffed and it fell by the wayside. I ended up paying for manicures for her at the salon. After covid hit, all heck broke loose and services for anything other than food delivery to rooms was practically nonexistent.

Imagine people who don't have a daughter (or someone else) paying attention, fighting to have these services provided or doing them personally, and paying extra out of desperation to get the minimum done.

Subpar hair and nail maintenance were the least of the problems in the home care and nursing home settings. Wages are low, there are always staffing shortages, etc etc.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #60 on: May 05, 2021, 03:54:18 PM »

It shouldn't be a surprise to many that the system is completely effed up in the US.

Before my mother went into the nursing home, but had the help of home care aides, the aides were not allowed to cut finger or toenails. I cut her fingernails, and brought her to the podiatrist for foot care. Later on, when it became impossible to get to the podiatrist, we had to get a podiatrist that makes house calls.

When she went into the nursing home, as part of the Medicaid program, she was entitled to a haircut every x weeks. An in-facility salon was there to provide haircuts and manicures (manicures were available at an additional charge). The nursing home was supposed to cut her fingernails, and a podiatrist was sent around every so often to handle foot care. However, the reality was that prior to covid, for cost-cutting measures the salon's hours were cut way back and she was lucky to get a haircut every 2-3 months. Hair washing happened maybe once every 2 weeks. Nail trims were rarely provided by the nursing home staff as they were perenially short staffed and it fell by the wayside. I ended up paying for manicures for her at the salon. After covid hit, all heck broke loose and services for anything other than food delivery to rooms was practically nonexistent.

Imagine people who don't have a daughter (or someone else) paying attention, fighting to have these services provided or doing them personally, and paying extra out of desperation to get the minimum done.

Subpar hair and nail maintenance were the least of the problems in the home care and nursing home settings. Wages are low, there are always staffing shortages, etc etc.

this makes me upset to read.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #61 on: May 05, 2021, 04:00:40 PM »

Wait until you find out about the dental care.

tipster350

• Bristles
« Reply #62 on: May 05, 2021, 04:16:47 PM »

I could write a lot more. That is the tip of the iceberg. I don't know how I will ever get over the trauma from everything that took place and what it took out of me, alone, with no other relatives to help, while working f/t at a high stress job. To say nothing of what it felt like to my mother. And I had my brother with complex medical needs as well, and still do, and am reliving the care challenges and now long term care saga again with him. It has ruined my own health.

tipster350

• Bristles
« Reply #63 on: May 05, 2021, 04:26:41 PM »

I could write a lot more. That is the tip of the iceberg. I don't know how I will ever get over the trauma from everything that took place and what it took out of me, alone, with no other relatives to help, while working f/t at a high stress job. To say nothing of what it felt like to my mother. And I had my brother with complex medical needs as well, and still do, and am reliving the care challenges and now long term care saga again with him. It has ruined my own health.

And you don't want to know how horrific the Medicaid application process was both for home care and LTC approval.

The nursing home I described above was among the best in the area taking Medicaid patients (so imagine the worst--and I have because my sister was in one, and that is another story for another day). I had to sign a document saying that if her Medicaid application was turned down, I would be personally responsible for the charges. By the time the application was finally approved, her bill was at $150k. It would have bankrupted me and I would not be here giddily imagining the occasional manicure for myself.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #64 on: May 05, 2021, 04:28:41 PM »
God I love seeing how threads derail once the main subject is basically exhausted.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #65 on: May 10, 2021, 08:58:07 AM »
I used to work with someone whose side hustle was pedicures for old ladies. She had to deal with some seriously gnarly feet, especially clients who were diabetic, but they just loved her. It wasn't anything medical, just aesthetic tidying and nail painting, and she treated them like they were in a beauty salon rather than their living room. She thought it was easy money for having a chat and painting their nails, they loved having some garrulous company and feeling pampered and pretty. Win win.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #66 on: May 12, 2021, 01:36:48 PM »
These services are dirt cheap in Florida.
Since pretty much all I wear these days are flip flops I love getting pampered with a pedicure.
Turquoise blue with or without sparkles or Ferrari Red are my favs.

For twenty bucks you get a foot massage and your tootsies cared for properly. The Massage chair is a bonus:).
For forty bucks you get the works, heated stones- aromatherapy ... massage up to your knees - bliss for 45 minutes.

Besides,
I'm old and if I bend over the wrong way I get cramps in my ribcage and can't breathe.
It keeps me from getting ingrown toenails which are easily avoided by caring for my toenails.
... and who doesn't love baby-bottom heels?

As you get older proper maintenance is a good thing.
To me, personal services have nothing to do with being Mustachian. It's just part of my retirement budget.

During Covid, I had to go DIY and I hate it especially asking Mr. R. for help trimming my toenails if I start cramping up.
Sometimes I can do it myself just fine, other times I can't.
That's a 'Yikes' for me, not the $40 I will spend sipping a glass of wine in the massage chair getting aromatherapy and pretty feet.

The Yikes for me are having to spend $40 for Clark's (foot healthy) flip-flops on sale and sixty to eighty for a good sandal or flip-flop to wear out.
Just before Covid hit I found out there is a foot doctor in my area who added a foot spa-salon for ladies pedicures.
I'm curious to try.

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #67 on: May 13, 2021, 09:05:33 AM »
Chiming in to add that I have an older male relative who is in their 70s.  He asked me one day to help trim his nails, but it became apparent quickly that this was not a "trim" as many of us would think of - his nails were very thick.  I could barely cut them with a typical nail cutter, so after a few attempts I advised him to go to a podiatrist. 
He hadn't thought of that but I assured him Medicare would pay for it as a medical need.

My point is that unless the nail techs have some heavy-duty cutters - maybe a mini-Dremel?  a mini-Sawzall?  just kidding, sort of  - that there are definitely some people who need a podiatrist.  It's not about being indulged with pretty colored nails, it's about being able to put your feet into your shoes. 
It was eye-opening to me.

(It reminded me of a news article which purported to decry waste in doctors who bill Medicare for certain services, and one was about a podiatrist who went to a nursing home and billed "just for cutting patients' toenails."  After seeing my relative's toenails, I'm pretty sure the doctor wasn't billing for doing pedicures like the news article tried to infer.)

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #68 on: May 13, 2021, 10:02:17 AM »
I recall my old lady pedicure ex-colleague showing me her toolkit. It was... hefty.

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #69 on: May 13, 2021, 04:06:51 PM »
The turn this conversation has taken is making me think of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2PVzqdyLv8

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #70 on: May 13, 2021, 06:06:46 PM »
Years ago I was at the podiatrist and saw a lot of elderly people having their toe nails cut by the technician.  One reason for them to go to the podiatrist instead of a salon
 was proper cleaning/disinfecting of equipment between clients.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!