Author Topic: Mustachians Interested in Retiring Abroad (or Slow Travel)  (Read 51767 times)

tssuila

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Mustachians Interested in Retiring Abroad (or Slow Travel)
« Reply #200 on: October 16, 2016, 04:44:29 PM »
My wife and I are very interested in this - we have considered Penang (Malaysia), Koh Samui (Thailand) and Nha Trang (Vietnam) as possible places, but the cost of schooling always throws us off.

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
« Reply #201 on: October 18, 2016, 11:00:47 AM »
OK, will do! Are you are ok with me linking to your site to show people an example of why the data is so very useful?

Of course, in fact, I'm grateful for any shares!
Heh-- Facebook is telling me that we're supposed to buy Facebook ads. 

I'm not sure why they recommend targeting Californians.

iamlindoro

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Earth Awaits
« Reply #202 on: October 18, 2016, 11:03:33 AM »
I'm not sure why they recommend targeting Californians.

Because we all want to escape ASAP. Thanks, Nords!!

hoping2retire35

• Handlebar Stache
  • just want to see where this appears
« Reply #203 on: October 19, 2016, 06:56:40 AM »
I added my little town. Any idea how many people have to add a town/city before it will show up in the results?

iamlindoro

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Earth Awaits
« Reply #204 on: October 19, 2016, 07:34:40 AM »
I added my little town. Any idea how many people have to add a town/city before it will show up in the results?

I'm not sure I follow you-- adding a city to the site is a manual process that I do. What did you add your town to?

hoping2retire35

• Handlebar Stache
  • just want to see where this appears
« Reply #205 on: October 19, 2016, 07:42:29 AM »
Sorry, I was reading the stuff about Belize and got in my own mind's world.

I meant I added my town to Numbeo. It still has not shown up.

iamlindoro

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Earth Awaits
« Reply #206 on: October 19, 2016, 07:54:47 AM »
Sorry, I was reading the stuff about Belize and got in my own mind's world.

I meant I added my town to Numbeo. It still has not shown up.

Ah, I see now, thanks. Since each city slightly affects the overall site performance, my general guideline is to accept cities with: a population greater than 50,000, 10+ contributors in the past 18 months at Numbeo, and data for all line items. If this happens to include your city (or does in the future), drop me a line and I'll do my best to add it to TEA too :)

iamlindoro

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Earth Awaits
« Reply #207 on: October 19, 2016, 03:22:36 PM »
Random possibly-useless feature of the day: I wrote a Facebook messenger chat bot last night.  You can go to the site's Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/theearthawaits/

And message the page. Ask it anything you like. Here are some queries that I know work:

* "What's the budget for Paris?"
* "What's the budget for two people with an ample lifestyle in a one bedroom apartment outside the city center in Lisbon?"
* "How much does it cost for five people to live in Madrid?"

Warning: Natural language parsing is really hard. You may not get expected results with some queries, but I'm working to improve it all the time! A couple of hints: Just use the city name, not the country. Requesting a three bedroom apartment needs some work, hopefully I'll have that sorted out soon.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 03:26:54 PM by iamlindoro »

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #208 on: October 26, 2016, 11:13:10 AM »
I suggest you take a look at another new site being discussed on MMM.  Your two sites appear to be very complementary with very little duplication.

Here is the site: https://www.trackfi.com/

Here is the thread: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/welcome-to-the-forum/i-just-launched-trackfi-com-i-would-love-your-feedback!/

iamlindoro

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Earth Awaits
« Reply #209 on: October 26, 2016, 11:44:51 AM »
I suggest you take a look at another new site being discussed on MMM.  Your two sites appear to be very complementary with very little duplication.

Here is the thread: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/welcome-to-the-forum/i-just-launched-trackfi-com-i-would-love-your-feedback!/

Yeah, I saw it! Looks great! I commented on the thread yesterday. There might be some neat opportunities to enhance the Inspiration/Where can you live portion with data from TEA.

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #210 on: October 26, 2016, 12:00:36 PM »

Yeah, I saw it! Looks great! I commented on the thread yesterday. There might be some neat opportunities to enhance the Inspiration/Where can you live portion with data from TEA.

Yup. Exactly.

iamlindoro

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Earth Awaits
« Reply #211 on: October 28, 2016, 07:02:16 PM »
I added a pretty neat guided tour (three tours, actually-- searching, results, and city details) of all the basics at The Earth Awaits tonight. It's very lightly tested on three browsers, so if anyone wants to check it out and pretend (or not pretend) to be seeing the site with fresh eyes, that would be amazing!

Just go to the site, the tour should pop up the first time you visit since it was added.

iamlindoro

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Earth Awaits
« Reply #212 on: October 29, 2016, 07:36:14 PM »
I added estimated two bedroom apartment values to the site tonight. They're the average of the one and three bedroom prices for each city.  This has been a big request :)

gerardc

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #213 on: October 29, 2016, 11:43:27 PM »
I've been finetuning the budget according to my needs in the Details tab of each city. For example, I eat more meat than the default, I adjusted the frequency of restaurant visits, taxis, etc.

I wish those details were transferred to other cities, as they are specifc to ME regardless of the city. It would be nice to set those things BEFORE the search so that the budget limit (like $3000/month) could take those numbers into account.

The thing is, the site advertises itself as "custom budget building" but from the main search box on the front page you can only set 2-3 generic boxes, like total spending and lifestyle factor. As a new visitor, I'd have liked to see full budget tweaking (maybe hidden under a clickable "details" button) right from the start. Otherwise, it looks exactly like nomadlist and I'd just leave unless I'm bored on a Saturday night. But that's just me.

iamlindoro

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Earth Awaits
« Reply #214 on: October 30, 2016, 12:07:05 AM »
I've been finetuning the budget according to my needs in the Details tab of each city. For example, I eat more meat than the default, I adjusted the frequency of restaurant visits, taxis, etc.

I wish those details were transferred to other cities, as they are specifc to ME regardless of the city. It would be nice to set those things BEFORE the search so that the budget limit (like $3000/month) could take those numbers into account.

The thing is, the site advertises itself as "custom budget building" but from the main search box on the front page you can only set 2-3 generic boxes, like total spending and lifestyle factor. As a new visitor, I'd have liked to see full budget tweaking (maybe hidden under a clickable "details" button) right from the start. Otherwise, it looks exactly like nomadlist and I'd just leave unless I'm bored on a Saturday night. But that's just me.

There will ultimately be stored custom budgets which can be used in the search-- it's just going to take a little more time, probably a couple months. Maybe it will be more helpful to you at that point. At the moment, it's the only place that I know of on the internet that takes into account your family size, lifestyle, and housing needs-- even if it's not quite as granular or customized as I would like it to be yet, at least it does a decent job by default, and allows you the flexibility to go beyond that-- it'll be more convenient to do so soon, I promise!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 12:16:52 AM by iamlindoro »

iamlindoro

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Earth Awaits
« Reply #215 on: November 12, 2016, 04:37:41 PM »
Added a new little trick today: You can now embed any city on your own site, and it will track the cost of living for the parameters you set it up with. FIRE or travel blogger? Your articles about cost of living can now always have real-time cost of living without updating them!

https://www.theearthawaits.com/embed/

gerardc

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #216 on: December 10, 2016, 12:50:08 PM »
Just curious, what frameworks did you use for the client and server? Do you host on AWS?

iamlindoro

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Earth Awaits
« Reply #217 on: December 10, 2016, 01:40:06 PM »
Just curious, what frameworks did you use for the client and server? Do you host on AWS?

The backend is Django/Python. The user interface is just plain HTML/JS/CSS using Bootstrap, JQuery, and various small other JS libraries as needed. The site is indirectly hosted on AWS, as PythonAnywhere, my host, uses their infrastructure.

iamlindoro

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Earth Awaits
« Reply #218 on: January 27, 2017, 11:24:07 PM »
I've just pushed the most major update to the site since I first released it four months ago-- The Earth Awaits 2.0!

Some stuff Mustachians may love:

* There's a city browse mode! View all the cities and pick the ones you're interested in, rather than having to find it using the search!
* Registered users can create a custom lifestyle for use in calculating your cost of living all around the world! Previously, only default lifestyles were available.
* Mark cities as favorites and view them all in one place!
* Watch up to five data points (city budgets or individual line item prices) and receive notifications when they change-- on a schedule, by a percentage, or by a fixed amount!

There are some premium features if you become a subscriber ($4-6 per month depending on monthly vs annual membership):

* Historical pricing information for every city (using your own custom lifestyle, if you like-- find out what your lifestyle would have cost a week ago, a month ago, or (eventually, data is still growing) a year ago!)
* Carefully researched contact, school level, academic program, and tuition information for 900 international schools all around the world!
* Create as many custom lifestyles as you like!
* Watch up to 100 data points!
* Monitor safety alerts for every country in our database. Receive notifications when the US, UK, or Canadian governments issue travel alerts or advice!

... And of course, there's a fancy killer feature...

TRAVEL HACKING TOOLS!

Every article about travel hacking starts with "Pick a destination." The site now goes one step further and shows you all the ways you can redeem points to get there, and how to earn them fast! Click the "Travel" tab at the top of the site, then enter your origin and destination airports, select from a list of 18 airline award charts (or leave it set to "All" to see them all), and see exactly how many points you'll need to get there! Even better, you'll see a curated list of credit cards that you can use to quickly acquire those points through churning! You'll also see which transferable points programs (from Chase, Citi, Amex, and SPG) apply to each airline chart.

PRO TIP: If you're trying to get to continental Europe, I highly recommend looking at the Air France/KLM Chart. Every transferable rewards program transfers to this program, and they're amongst the cheapest to fly from the US to Europe.

The cards shown are ordered to maximize the signup bonus and minimize your additional spending. The top cards aren't the ones that will make me the most money (I'm an affiliate), they're the ones that leave you with the most points while spending the minimum. There are some card names that I can't specifically mention on my site (because of compliance stuff with the credit card companies), so some of them are referred to as "Transferable Rewards Card" until you click through. The links always lead you to a page where you can find the card I describe, though.

PRO TIP: Click the gear in the top left and set your home airport. Then the travel hacking tools will always default to your home airport as the origin.

Even better, there's a Miles and Points tab in every city's details that shows you the travel hacking options to get to that city!

The travel hacking portions are my attempt to get the site to break-even while still providing a service that is of value. I earn money if you use my affiliate links to do your card churning, and you get the use what I hope is or will become the best travel hacking tool on the internet totally for free! If travel hacking/churning isn't your thing, but some of the premium features interest you, you can be a member for about the cost of a coffee per month. I would be sincerely grateful if you did your travel hacking with my links, as it will help me to devote more time in the future to making the site even better. Every dollar made is going back into the site right now (still operating at a loss).

Feedback welcome! I'm so excited to share all the new features! If you encounter any issues, especially when it comes to signup or the new features, please reach out and I will absolutely resolve them immediately for you. Please share with friends, on social media, and with any press or bloggers you know!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 11:32:08 PM by iamlindoro »

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #219 on: January 27, 2017, 11:57:12 PM »
Congrats on the launch!  :)

I'm looking forward to the "side gig posts" on your blog getting silly numbers where people accuse you of making it up. ;)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

iamlindoro

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Earth Awaits
« Reply #220 on: January 28, 2017, 12:01:16 AM »

I'm looking forward to the "side gig posts" on your blog getting silly numbers where people accuse you of making it up. ;)

Ha, I should be so lucky! I'll be deliriously happy if I can get to break-even sometime in the near future!

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #221 on: January 28, 2017, 01:17:27 AM »

Ha, I should be so lucky! I'll be deliriously happy if I can get to break-even sometime in the near future!

I'm sure your expectations will be exceeded! The site is so great, and keeps getting better.

iamlindoro

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Earth Awaits
« Reply #222 on: January 28, 2017, 08:10:06 AM »
I'm sure your expectations will be exceeded! The site is so great, and keeps getting better.

Thanks, I really hope you are right! I spent the last four months ignoring the press momentum I had, because I had to finish all this work-- now I have to go back to reaching out to them. I'm not sure which is more tiring :)

gerardc

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #223 on: January 28, 2017, 12:25:25 PM »
Why can't we set the lifestyle factors before search?

Is it just a way to get people to register? It's not a site I'd typically register for.

iamlindoro

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Earth Awaits
« Reply #224 on: January 28, 2017, 12:54:27 PM »
Why can't we set the lifestyle factors before search?

Is it just a way to get people to register? It's not a site I'd typically register for.

It just doesn't make sense from a usability perspective to force people to plow through a list of budget line items when the majority of users don't care that much about customizing the lifestyles and will use the system default ones. You can use the custom lifestyles in search once you've created a login and added one, in case anyone was wondering about the context.

There's no nefarious motive here, and it will always be possible to create at least one customized lifestyle with a totally free account. Is it technically possible to store customized budgets client-side? Sure, probably. But it makes way, way more sense to store them on the server side, because it allows me to upgrade schemas and functionality for all users at once without worrying about whether I'd break it on the client side.

Yes, I'd love it if people would spend the $4-6 per month to support the site (or did their churning signups there), but I'm not locking the core functionality behind a paywall. I'm setting something of value loose in the world, mostly for free, and hoping that that turns out to be the right call. Anyone who reads my blog knows that I am intent on being absolutely crystal-clear transparent about this site. You are very welcome to check those posts out if you want a deep insight as to the financial realities of running a site like this.

You had some stern words about the site months ago without the ability to store your own lifestyle. Now it's there. I hope it's of use to you, but I recognize that I won't be able to satisfy everyone.

gerardc

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #225 on: January 28, 2017, 01:09:56 PM »
Sorry about the stern words, that's a nice site overall :)

I was imagining the lifestyle could go under an optional expandable "advanced" settings somewhere, but yeah that'd probably complicate things if you need to keep that config server side.

iamlindoro

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Earth Awaits
« Reply #226 on: January 28, 2017, 01:20:23 PM »
Sorry about the stern words, that's a nice site overall :)

I was imagining the lifestyle could go under an optional expandable "advanced" settings somewhere, but yeah that'd probably complicate things if you need to keep that config server side.

No worries :) I hope the site has more of what you were looking for now!

potm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #227 on: January 28, 2017, 05:27:45 PM »
Very interesting points travel search.
I did a test search from MEL to SGN. It seems a bit incomplete, not listing the local Australian airlines.
Also it shows United as an option as well as the United partners. The partners bit is right but showing united themselves is incorrect as they don't fly the route.

iamlindoro

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Earth Awaits
« Reply #228 on: January 28, 2017, 06:35:11 PM »
Very interesting points travel search.
I did a test search from MEL to SGN. It seems a bit incomplete, not listing the local Australian airlines.
Also it shows United as an option as well as the United partners. The partners bit is right but showing united themselves is incorrect as they don't fly the route.

The travel hacking search is predominantly aimed at a North American audience-- each award chart is a massive amount of data entry/normalization, so the first 18 charts were picked based on the ability to get them standardized, their transfer partners, and their relevance to an NA audience. I expect the list of charts to increase in the future, though.

You may not have seen it, but at the top of the search results you'll see that region based charts (this is most of them) are calculated from country to country, not from airport to airport, and that may require a repositioning flight at the origin and/or destination. This is because the charts themselves usually only get a specific as the countries included in the regions.  A filter to limit it only to charts with routes between the specific airport pairs is definitely coming, which should give you the result you're looking for. I completely acknowledge that this could be better, though, and will continue to work to improve it!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 06:41:40 PM by iamlindoro »

meadow lark

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #229 on: January 28, 2017, 09:53:49 PM »
I love the travel hacking info - I think it is a super functional way to organize it and motivate people to do it.

The site looks great.  Every couple of weeks I get back on it to fantasize...

iamlindoro

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Earth Awaits
« Reply #230 on: January 28, 2017, 10:03:18 PM »
I love the travel hacking info - I think it is a super functional way to organize it and motivate people to do it.

The site looks great.  Every couple of weeks I get back on it to fantasize...

Thank you!! I am really excited for the travel hacking portion's potential. I have so many ideas for how to make it more useful and powerful, but just like when I originally released the site, it was time to get something out and then improve slowly in the coming months :)

iamlindoro

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Earth Awaits
« Reply #231 on: January 30, 2017, 08:46:21 PM »
Added some nice new additions to the travel hacking search today: Filter card offer types (All, Consumer Only, Business Only), by class of service (All, Economy, Business, First Class), and filter results (show all award charts, or just the single best result).

By popular demand, the origin and destination airports are now combo boxes and you can type in the name of the airport instead of having to scroll through the mega-list.

https://www.theearthawaits.com/award-search/

Padonak

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #232 on: January 30, 2017, 09:36:12 PM »
Added some nice new additions to the travel hacking search today: Filter card offer types (All, Consumer Only, Business Only), by class of service (All, Economy, Business, First Class), and filter results (show all award charts, or just the single best result).

By popular demand, the origin and destination airports are now combo boxes and you can type in the name of the airport instead of having to scroll through the mega-list.

https://www.theearthawaits.com/award-search/

It would be nice if the budget included visa runs and/or the cost of getting and keeping a visa. These can add up in places like Thailand where you have to do a visa run every 3 months unless you have a long term visa which could also cost quite a bit.

I would also make it clear that the budget excludes health insurance which should be added manually.

Also, just based on my experience visiting some of the places (mainly in Asia), cost of accommodation may be accurate, but miscellaneous expenses are understated. That doesn't mean the budgets are wrong, though, because as a single guy I tend to spend less on housing and more on drinks/bars/taxis/etc. If your target audience are retirees, particularly couples, then what you have is probably more accurate.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 09:40:01 PM by Padonak »

iamlindoro

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Earth Awaits
« Reply #233 on: January 30, 2017, 09:44:27 PM »
It would be nice if the budget included visa runs and/or the cost of getting and keeping a visa. These can add up in places like Thailand where you have to do a visa run every 3 months unless you have a long term visa which could also cost quite a bit.

The site really only aims to cover the everyday expenses. I don't see this as something that I am likely to add, to be honest. If you really want to live somewhere long-term, you should arrange an appropriate visa. If you're skirting the edges of the immigration system, that's not something I see myself being able to realistically estimate or address.

Also, just based on my experience visiting some of the places (mainly in Asia), cost of accommodation may be accurate, but miscellaneous expenses are understated. That doesn't mean the budgets are wrong, though, because as a single guy I tend to spend less on housing and more on drinks/bars/taxis/etc. If your target audience are retirees, particularly couples, then what you have is probably more accurate.

Remember that you can create an account and create your own custom lifestyle (or subscribe and create as many as you like!). If the default lifestyles don't suit your needs, create one!

Padonak

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #234 on: January 30, 2017, 09:57:37 PM »
Thanks, great website btw, I'll give it a try.

iamlindoro

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Earth Awaits
« Reply #235 on: January 30, 2017, 09:58:48 PM »
Thanks, great website btw, I'll give it a try.

Thanks! Have fun :)

BGordon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #236 on: March 30, 2017, 04:49:45 PM »
I am new to this forum and was doing a search today and stumbled across this thread.  I followed the link to your site and was very impressed.  I've registered and shared a link with several of my friends.  However, I wasn't able to find the city I am considering for retirement.  In fact, I wasn't able to find any cities in that region of that country, which was a little surprising since it is considered to be one of the top retirement spots by several of the "where to retire" publications.  Maybe this was user error on my part.  But if not, per your FAQ I would like to request a specific city.  I am looking at the Algarve region of Portugal (Specifically Lagos, but any city in that region would probably give me similar results - The largest cities in that region are Faro and Portimao).  Would it be possible to add a city in the Algarve region of Portugal?  I'll probably ask the same question on the site once I figure out the proper place to ask (you might see it quicker there).  Thanks in advance.

iamlindoro

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Earth Awaits
« Reply #237 on: March 30, 2017, 05:04:42 PM »
Thanks for the nice feedback! Of the three you mentioned, only Faro has good enough cost of living data for me to be able to add it.  Check back in the next few days and it should be there. I'll try to sneak it in tonight but if not, surely by the end of the weekend.

BGordon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #238 on: March 30, 2017, 05:16:31 PM »
Thanks for the nice feedback! Of the three you mentioned, only Faro has good enough cost of living data for me to be able to add it.  Check back in the next few days and it should be there. I'll try to sneak it in tonight but if not, surely by the end of the weekend.

That was a really quick response.  Thanks

iamlindoro

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Earth Awaits
« Reply #239 on: March 30, 2017, 05:17:07 PM »

That was a really quick response.  Thanks

No problem! Faro is added, enjoy!

https://www.theearthawaits.com/cost-of-living/in/faro/