Author Topic: Mustachians in Dallas? Advice or income opportunity!  (Read 4937 times)

Cat_Race

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Mustachians in Dallas? Advice or income opportunity!
« on: February 22, 2015, 02:57:28 PM »
Hi MMM community,
TLDR: Needing to relocate to Dallas and would like to find temporary housing near uptown starting ~March for a couple months. Or, advice about Dallas.

Long version: First post. It's funny how quickly plans can change... I've been following the blog for a while now.  It was actually a huge relief to find something to validate my own beliefs in the face of everyone who kept calling me crazy (including my mom - "go buy yourself something nice!").  I had a stable engineering job (building that stash) in Denver for past few years and finally took the jump and bought a house this past summer (those of you who know, the rental market in Denver is obscene). Bam! - industry readjustment resulted in my parting ways with my employer earlier this month.  Despite my best efforts to avoid relocation, I find myself headed to Dallas for an amazing opportunity. S.O. will be staying in Denver for a few months, finishing things up with his employer and getting our house rented, etc. before he joins me.  I would like avoid committing to a year long lease prematurely until I've had a chance to check things out and can make the decision when things have stabilized a bit.  It's rough to have your life plan completely adjusted in the span of a few weeks!

Anyone willing to open their home (and make some extra money) to a mid-20's female professional MMM-er for just a few months?  I'd be much happier in temporary exile surrounded by like-minded people.  Fully furnished (guest room?) would be ideal but I'm open to anything (unfinished basements, closets, attics).  I'm quiet, respectful of others & their space, and will only have clothes with me.  Besides sounds like the job could be intensive to start so I'll not have much "home time" anyway.

OR

If you're familiar with Dallas - mind sharing your knowledge with me?  Good neighborhoods to live, things to do, places to check out?  I'm born and raised in Denver and have been warned that Dallas is significantly more conservative.  It helps if you have a couple leads to not get discouraged with an unfamiliar place :)   

Thanks so much in advance,
Cat

Dexterous

• Stubble
Re: Mustachians in Dallas? Advice or income opportunity!
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 12:34:50 AM »
I laughed when I got to the "unfinished closets or attics" bit... that's hardcore, lol.  Best of luck on your move.  I'm not so far away in Shreveport right now... be ready for the hot summers!

blub

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 08:53:27 AM »
I sent you a message.

Psychstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 09:30:37 AM »
I laughed when I got to the "unfinished closets or attics" bit... that's hardcore, lol.  Best of luck on your move.  I'm not so far away in Shreveport right now... be ready for the hot summers!

I laughed at basements. Living in Texas my whole life, I've heard fairy tales of these mythical basements. I assumed my grandpa was just pulling my leg.

Good luck, OP. I would love to rent out our guest bedroom, but my wife is not keen on the idea.

Tyler

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 08:18:21 AM »
If you're familiar with Dallas - mind sharing your knowledge with me?  Good neighborhoods to live, things to do, places to check out?  I'm born and raised in Denver and have been warned that Dallas is significantly more conservative.  It helps if you have a couple leads to not get discouraged with an unfamiliar place :)   

I grew up in Dallas and have lived in San Francisco. I always get a chuckle out of the caricature that "open minded" people have in their heads about Texas. You'll be fine! Dallas is a great city. It's more similar to Denver than different.

Uptown is a really nice area. Very expensive, though. You might also check out lower Greenville (lots lf restaurants and bars) and the neighborhoods on the "M-streets" over there. Downtown Ft Worth is a great area to visit. It's a major cultural hub in the area. I personally love the Modern museum there.

misterdirector1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 11:00:55 AM »
Just moved to Dallas myself in Sept! If you want to live close to downtown and aren't terrified of the harmless homeless, I would suggest the Lower Greenville/Deep Ellum area or, on the other side of downtown, the Bishop Arts District. You won't be surrounded by yuppies and you might even find a real dive bar (these are my priorities; yours are probably different). I would definitely recommend getting to know the area first because everyone has different levels of comfort.

aschmidt2930

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2015, 07:54:35 PM »
Definitely shoot for downtown, Dallas traffic is absolutely awful, and it's not really a bikeable city.  Don't get me wrong, I still do it, but it's not a city you're going to be able to bike 10 miles to work and make decent time. Also, the Dallas rail line can get you around the metro fairly well, if you start from downtown.  Suburb to suburb support is minimal. Uptown is nice, but there's definitely a surplus of "30k millionaires" running around, and it may rub you the wrong way.  I love the lower greenville and knox-henderson areas, and Deep Ellum would likely be a good fit for a mustachian mind-set as well. 

I recently moved here from a Liberal, northern city as well.  There's some definite differences, but nothing that's likely to affect your quality of life.  I don't have a room to offer you, but feel free to reach out if you need anything and enjoy Dallas!

Wings5

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2015, 08:09:36 PM »
Uptown is nice, but there's definitely a surplus of "30k millionaires" running around, and it may rub you the wrong way.

What's a 30k millionaire? The folks living way beyond their means?

Psychstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2015, 08:13:49 PM »
Uptown is nice, but there's definitely a surplus of "30k millionaires" running around, and it may rub you the wrong way.

http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/mixmaster/2014/07/six_reasons_youre_a_30000_millionaire_in_dallas_and_should_prove_it_on_television.php

tl;dr douches who spend like they are millionaire rap stars trying to pick up girls but are really broke.

aschmidt2930

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2015, 08:29:17 PM »

You guessed it.  It's essentially the complete opposite of everything MMM stands for.  Of course, every city has these type of people, but there just seems to be a few select areas of Dallas where it's out of hand.

Wings5

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2015, 10:50:38 PM »
Awesome, I can't believe I hadn't heard that before.

For what it's worth, I live here, and I used to bike commute. Through Addison. That may be the epicenter of it all.

Cat_Race

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2015, 11:09:05 AM »
Thanks all for the advice/tips/recommendations, especially about neighborhoods.  I really appreciate it.

I'd heard about the 30K millionaire (credit card millionaire is how I'd heard it) phenomenon in relation to Dallas before, and with the slow response to the thread I was worried for a moment that there weren't any Mustachians in Dallas.  Glad there are :)

I've found something temporary in Junius Heights (which is guess is a little east of Uptown), to give me time to research neighborhoods before any long term commitment.

Thanks all!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!