Author Topic: Mustachian things you do that "ordinary people" think are strange...  (Read 190052 times)

TravelJunkyQC

• Bristles
Re: Mustachian things you do that "ordinary people" think are strange...
« Reply #500 on: February 04, 2016, 09:15:21 AM »
1. Don't own a microwave.
2. Own a screen to which I can plug my computer to stream videos (or for my man to play video games), but no cable.
3. No landline.
4. Own a 2004 Hyundai Sonata, paid for in cash, with 60,000 km on it (yes, you read that right). She has a large dent in her side, but it's the same side as my dimple in my cheek, so I feel one with her (she's called Gertrude).
5. Name my car because I keep her a long time.
6. Bring my lunch to work every day.
7. Consider the ability to bike instead of highway-drive to work a deciding factor in switching jobs, among others (I start in a week!).
8. Go out to eat maybe once every few months, and only to pubs or ethnic places where it will cost me 20$ for a lovely evening out (these are rarely planned, and I allow them to happen randomly simply because they're so rare and always enjoyable with old friends).
9. Make dinner every night (why is this weird, I don't know).
10. Shop extensively for the best deals for flights for vacations, never stay in hotels (prefering home/apartment rentals), make my own meals on vacation, live like a local.
11. Favorite activities are camping and playing outside, mostly for free (I respect and encourage paying national or provincial park entrance fees to protect and care for our wild territories. Restaurants and stores, meh, I don't like giving money to them).
12. Manage my own investments.
13. Repair things on my own or with the help of Youtube (or once, called my dad on the phone for moral and technical support to replace a toilet pump at my rental property).
14. Understand that spending 15,000$ a year is a balls-out luxury lifestyle that the majority of the world population cannot have. I realize that all purchases, after a safe and clean place to sleep at night and food and clean water, are, by definition, not survival necessities. I base my purchasing decisions based on this assumption.
15. Above all, feel that all things above are NORMAL. Everyone else is weird.

StartingEarly

• Bristles
« Reply #501 on: February 04, 2016, 10:23:43 AM »
Drive a vehicle with hail and deer damage that has no front bumper cover even though insurance paid me to fix it. I would rather just use that money to buy a newer one when the time comes, not impress people with an average car in the time being.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #502 on: February 04, 2016, 10:33:48 AM »

4. Own a 2004 Hyundai Sonata, paid for in cash, with 60,000 km on it (yes, you read that right). She has a large dent in her side, but it's the same side as my dimple in my cheek, so I feel one with her (she's called Gertrude).
ROFL.
The next will be Erna?

Roboturner

• Pencil Stache
  • No Snacks, Just Math
« Reply #503 on: February 04, 2016, 10:37:44 AM »
cook and bring my lunch to work everyday (THE HORROR)

TravelJunkyQC

• Bristles
« Reply #504 on: February 04, 2016, 10:46:10 AM »

ROFL.
The next will be Erna?

Of course I will have to meet the new car before naming her, how could I possibly give her a name without knowing her?!?! :) Anyway, Gertrude has some mileage left in her for quite a while... I've got time!

Bucksandreds

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #505 on: February 04, 2016, 10:52:21 AM »
Mustachian

Cut my and my sons hair.
Cook a lot
Drive a Ford Fiesta
Do a lot of DIY around house
Always pack lunch for work
Coupon, coupon, coupon for groceries
Eat out mostly when someone gives us a gift card and try to combine it with a coupon
Open up travel rewards cards to pay for flights

Non mustachian

Wife drives an Infiniti SUV
Live in a 3000 square foot house with $8900 property taxes because the schools are the best within 100 miles in any direction (I'm in Ohio, that's absurd for property taxes)
Eat mostly organic with Wild Caught seafood.

Kaydedid

• Stubble
« Reply #506 on: February 04, 2016, 10:58:11 AM »
These are all the MIL's pet peeves:
-Limit the number of toys kiddo gets on birthday and holidays
-No toys that take batteries for kid
-Live in a home while renovating it
-Rarely, if ever, use the dryer and dry clothes on racks in the dining room in winter, on clothesline on deck in summer
-Get groceries at Aldi instead of fancy grocery store
-Don't keep house absolutely spotless, use time for other fun things instead
-Analyze cost of things like meals
-Prefer to do free fun things instead of paid or expensive events
-Rarely eat out
-Almost never buy new clothing
-Rarely shop at stores besides grocery
-Trying out new DIY things, like making mayo (success!) or sewing underwear (failure)

Basically, it all boils down to her favorite phrase: "Why are you living like that-you don't have to!"  The idea of wanting a simpler life that maybe doesn't fit the status quo is absolutely beyond her, and DIY is a terrible waste of time that's only for people who can't afford to pay someone else to do it.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 11:00:11 AM by Kaydedid »

Digital Dogma

• Bristles
« Reply #507 on: February 04, 2016, 04:06:15 PM »
For the longest time I refused to get furniture, I held out for free or extremely cheap solid wood used stuff. That meant a cheap futon instead of a couch, a coffee table instead of a dinner table, and a box to put the TV on. All of my friends thought it was weird and Im like... weird enough for you to give me a couch? No? Ok then shut up. :)

NESailor

• Bristles
« Reply #508 on: February 04, 2016, 07:48:41 PM »
I snicker every time coworkers complain about something being expensive.  "No, in fact, it's not expensive for ANYONE who works in this office and you should ALL be millionaires before you retire"  I would know, I manage the finance dept.

Cottonswab

• Stubble
  • Occasional Advice Dispensary
    • My Journal
« Reply #509 on: February 05, 2016, 01:45:05 AM »
That's way, way, waaaay beyond being "just" Mustachian.

Just like I would say the Bear Gryll method of keeping hydrated without paying for drinks is waaaay beyond mustachian (although you could try to sell it in that angle: "Monthly budget running low? Better drink my own bodily fluids").

Not arguing against any of the actions specifically, but for all of those I'd say you gotta be doing it for reasons other than Financial Independence, too (even if it does also help with that goal).

You are partly correct about doing it for other reasons other than financial independence, although if I add in some context it also probably will not seem that extreme.  I purposely try not spend any time at home.  Honestly, if it wasn't for the easy access to wifi, a shower, and a laundry machine, I would just live out of my car full-time. 

I do a lot of mountaineering and longer term expeditions, which trains you to cut weight, use items for multiple functions, and sleep without the luxuries that other people consider necessities.  I found that I was comfortable enough with my camping sleeping pad and sleeping bag that keeping/buying a bed with sheets and a pillow would be superfluous.  By using the same sleeping set-up at home, I have basically no issues transitioning, when I go on trips or expeditions.

These decisions have also drastically reduced the activation energy required to move.  Now, I can basically pick-up and go, whenever I want to, without having to worry about logistics (storing crap, moving crap, selling / donating crap, breaking leases, etc.).

... and I also save a ton of money on everything other than food and travel, compared to most.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 12:48:51 PM by Cottonswab »

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #510 on: February 05, 2016, 02:06:55 AM »
I was going to ask if you used a sleeping bag.

misshathaway

• Bristles
« Reply #511 on: February 05, 2016, 08:51:43 AM »
and Im like... weird enough for you to give me a couch? No? Ok then shut up. :)

LOL. When I was a kid I had this fantasy that I would have a house where I made all the furniture and everything inside of it. You are living my fantasy, sort of.

TheBeardedIrishman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #512 on: February 05, 2016, 08:57:24 AM »
My wife actually  has made about 90 percent of the furniture  in our house lol ppl love it too. .

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #513 on: February 05, 2016, 10:19:27 AM »
My wife actually  has made about 90 percent of the furniture  in our house lol ppl love it too. .

My husband made a lot of ours (the rest is antiques). It's really nice. Helps that he made the house, too, so it all fits together.

TheBeardedIrishman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #514 on: February 05, 2016, 01:15:37 PM »

My husband made a lot of ours (the rest is antiques). It's really nice. Helps that he made the house, too, so it all fits together.

We think it makes the house feel a lot more homey plus half the time it brings up some awesome  conversations 

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #515 on: February 06, 2016, 06:07:02 AM »
and Im like... weird enough for you to give me a couch? No? Ok then shut up. :)

LOL. When I was a kid I had this fantasy that I would have a house where I made all the furniture and everything inside of it. You are living my fantasy, sort of.

I'm totally working on it. Made us a feather duster the other day. Felt awesome. :)

radtek2112

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #516 on: February 08, 2016, 03:50:49 PM »
I routinely wear a pair of pants that are 16 years old and a sweatshirt that I obtained used in 1995. Yes, they both have many holes in them.

Haven't had a professional haircut in probably 10 years. Wife uses a clipper that cost around $25.

Haven't had a car payment in more than 10 years and a paid off house at age 33. I don't share this information with coworkers because they would flip out.

dontwannaworkforever

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #517 on: February 10, 2016, 03:30:41 AM »
Wow tomorrows goal is to go through this thread and write down many things to do.....

Think

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #518 on: February 10, 2016, 05:09:05 AM »
We make over 350k and work and live around people who spend a lot in a hcol city. 

We purchased a home much less than we can afford so we can pay a 15 mortgage instead of 30.  It will be paid off when we are in our 40s

I take my lunch to work most days (95 percent of the time)

We clean our own house

Groom our dog

Only have one car although this is more common

chrisdurheim

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • KeepThrifty
« Reply #519 on: February 10, 2016, 07:41:15 AM »
We've gotten "weird" over the last few years according to the people around us :)

Some items from the list:
  • We requested the local garbage/recycling service to give us the 30-gallon garbage and recycling bins instead of the 96-gallon standard-issue ones.  Doesn't save us a cent, but we still don't fill the smaller ones up.
  • We are looking to downsize from our 1800 sq foot house to something more reasonable - maybe 1100-1200?  Not a money issue, we just know it's more than we need.
  • Sold 2 of our 3 TVs (the biggest ones) and disconnected our antenna.  The bits we do watch are either streaming online or getting movies from the library
  • Speaking of which, we gave most of our books and movies to the library.  That way we can still check them out if we want to read/watch them, they don't take up space in our house, and we can share them with others
  • We have a dishwasher but don't use it - handwashing is fine
  • We just sold our prius to go down to one car even though we don't "need to"; my wife is a stay-at-home mom and I like the time we get together with the kids when they take me to work
  • We have all 3 of our daughters share a room even though we have other bedrooms that they could "spread out" into.  They love sharing the space and whenever the thought of them splitting up comes up they quickly dismiss it.
  • We have a worm composter for turning our food scraps into fertilizer for the garden we're going to plant this spring
  • I own 7 t-shirts, 4 button-downs, 4 pairs of pants, socks, underwear, a suit and a hoodie.
  • We got rid of all the dressers in our house - our closet space is more than enough to hold our clothes because we've pared down.
  • When I travel overseas for work, I fit all my stuff in about half the space of a carry-on bag even though I'm going for 7-9 days.

We're works in progress - we add something every month or two and I'm hoping to have more to put in this list as 2016 goes on :)

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #520 on: February 10, 2016, 10:35:31 AM »
Our living room has no TV (permanently) and no couch (temporarily).  My mom's giving us her couch when her house sells (she had two in that house but only needs one in her new empty-nest house), so we've been without a couch since we bought our house in May (gave our old couch to former roommates).  It's... not as big a deal as people seem to think.  We do have two comfy chairs.

Despite being a flavor of "car guy" our two cars are old and what scientists are calling "crappy."

Despite being "tech guy" our single desktop PC was put together by me in 2008, last overhauled in 2011, and had relatively minor upgrades in 2015 for the first time since then.  My home laptop is work-supplied (and doesn't see a ton of use), and my GF's laptop is a used Thinkpad from eBay for <$300 in August 2014.  My smartphone was ~$100 last year, and hers was $200 in 2014.  We use Ting.

Despite being a "healthy food guy"/person who cooks often and from-scratch, our kitchen has no "fancy" anything.  Our stove is an old POS that doesn't light itself anymore so we have a lighter in the drawer next to it.  Our blender is inherited from a former roommate, and our bigass stockpot came from my grandpa's basement.  Our grocery spending is probably slightly above the Mustachian median, but still well below "normal."  Coworkers think eating healthy means buying $7/lb gluten-free-shit-in-a-box every day.

Sometimes I forget to take out the trash.  Even after two weeks its rarely close to full.

We bought our house for slightly less than double our yearly household income (which is pretty close to median in the US).  I qualified for the loan on my own, and could have qualified for more.

Somehow our electric and gas bills at home are less than in my rental house that's half the square footage.

I bought said rental house at age 20 (GF was 19) at the bottom of the market in 2012.  People are probably shocked at that one the most.

• We got rid of all the dressers in our house - our closet space is more than enough to hold our clothes because we've pared down.
I didn't even think of this one!  In our last move, one dresser came with us, but ended up in the spare bedroom and stores non-clothing items.  All my clothes are hanging up in my (not large) closet with room to spare.  The idea of putting clothes anywhere else didn't even enter my mind.

Reynold

• Bristles
« Reply #521 on: February 10, 2016, 03:22:59 PM »
-Bring home leftovers from a restaurant to eat.  (Really, I am the only person at work who does this when we go out as a group.)
-Bring in leftovers from home for lunches.
-Use the leftovers from work lunches for more lunches and, sometimes, bring some home for dinner for us, since otherwise it gets thrown out.
-I'm sure I'm the only person at work who has ever worn anything from a thrift store, though now that I have a job again my wife is back to shopping at regular stores.  She is a serious power shopper, though, and gets me like 5 button-down shirts for $57, so it isn't too bad. 
-Got weird looks from some friends when they were buying Norton's software for the year, back when it was actually useful, for $80 and my wife told them she could get it on sale for around $10.  "Too much trouble, it is right here."  I think they managed to narrowly evade bankruptcy soon thereafter. . .

I've seen a couple of people mention not having microwaves, though, and I was just going to put in a plug for them.  If you have to heat a bowl of soup, leftover spaghetti, etc. they are much more efficient than using a stove or oven.  We often even use it for things like heating the corn on the cob while a chicken is in the oven, melting butter, and such, so it can be part of cooking from scratch. 

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #522 on: February 11, 2016, 10:53:41 AM »
We use actual dishes when we host a gathering at our house. People seem impressed that we're going all-out fancy or something by not buying a mountain of paper products, but it saves us money, uses hardly any time (how long does it really take to cycle the dishwasher once or twice?), and is better for the environment.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #523 on: February 11, 2016, 11:37:38 AM »
- Use actual dishes for parties
- Bake cakes for birthdays
- Use cloth napkins
- Save leftovers
- Bake bread
- Cut one kid's hair occasionally
- Take leftovers from work events
- Wear older clothing and not shop
- Darn socks
- Drive small cars
- Pack food for vacations
- Shop around for vacations, and try for places that have kitchens for longer trips

Northwestie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #524 on: February 11, 2016, 11:58:56 AM »
Shop at Value Village for used clothes!!   It's amazing what people donate.

StartingEarly

• Bristles
« Reply #525 on: February 11, 2016, 02:10:49 PM »
First I think it needs to be said that washing dishes by hand is less efficient. If you already own a dishwasher use that. I carry around a plastic cup and a gallon milk jug filled with water in my car, saves me from having to stop just because I am thirsty and saves a lot of money when I am out and about.

pompera_firpa

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #526 on: February 11, 2016, 02:34:05 PM »
I was legitimately asked about my mental health when I rode my bike to church last night in the 18-degree weather. (It takes less than 10 minutes, door-to-door.) I really don't get this; everyone who is concerned about my sanity spent the same amount of time shivering in their cars because they had dressed for the time AFTER the heat kicked in.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #527 on: February 11, 2016, 02:54:22 PM »
First I think it needs to be said that washing dishes by hand is less efficient. If you already own a dishwasher use that. I carry around a plastic cup and a gallon milk jug filled with water in my car, saves me from having to stop just because I am thirsty and saves a lot of money when I am out and about.
You know they make these things called water bottles... ;)

StartingEarly

• Bristles
« Reply #528 on: February 11, 2016, 06:32:09 PM »
Yeah, but I drink like half a gallon of water or more in a day. I don't feel like having four or five bottles rolling around.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #529 on: February 11, 2016, 06:41:57 PM »
Someone at work was stunned when I mentioned I'll be making a several course meal for me and my boyfriend for Valentine's day this weekend, with a bunch of our favourite foods. I thought lots of people did that? Apparently everyone goes to restaurants these days and spends a fortune. Who knew.

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #530 on: February 11, 2016, 07:29:01 PM »
Someone at work was stunned when I mentioned I'll be making a several course meal for me and my boyfriend for Valentine's day this weekend, with a bunch of our favourite foods. I thought lots of people did that? Apparently everyone goes to restaurants these days and spends a fortune. Who knew.

Yea.... that sounds horrible. Why wouldn't you want to go stand in line for an hour to get a seat in a crowded noisy  restaurant where you will be served sub par food by an overworked staff who can't even keep my DAMN  glass of water full.  Believe it or not people pay good money for this shit.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #531 on: February 12, 2016, 01:56:09 AM »
I freaked someone out by being slightly unclear on when Valentine's Day is. I'm aware that it's 14th February (every year!) but the fact that I didn't immediately know it's this Sunday and did not have some kind of hourly mental countdown going is weird. No, we are not "celebrating".

+1 for mending clothes! All of my favourite clothes have a mend. Also, I dropped my iPhone again (had a series of cracks on the top white bit above the screen) and a chunk fell off. Still works. Superglued it back on.

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #532 on: February 12, 2016, 03:19:45 AM »
I freaked someone out by being slightly unclear on when Valentine's Day is. I'm aware that it's 14th February (every year!) but the fact that I didn't immediately know it's this Sunday and did not have some kind of hourly mental countdown going is weird. No, we are not "celebrating".

Oh, that's another one for me. I hate the commercialism of Valentine's Day. Fairly early on in our relationship, I forbade DH from getting anything for me on that day. Now I just have to remember when it is so I can avoid the super busy places on the day.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #533 on: February 12, 2016, 08:53:05 AM »

Oh, that's another one for me. I hate the commercialism of Valentine's Day. Fairly early on in our relationship, I forbade DH from getting anything for me on that day. Now I just have to remember when it is so I can avoid the super busy places on the day.
Yes!  I hate it when I miss on that, or don't think about it.  Last Saturday I was at the grocery store and it was packed to the gills with people buying snacky-junk food and alcohol.  Took me a few minutes to realize: "Oh yeah, Super Bowl."

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #534 on: February 12, 2016, 09:31:03 AM »

Yes!  I hate it when I miss on that, or don't think about it.  Last Saturday I was at the grocery store and it was packed to the gills with people buying snacky-junk food and alcohol.  Took me a few minutes to realize: "Oh yeah, Super Bowl."

You mean you're not the #1 feetball fan?

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #535 on: February 12, 2016, 10:06:26 AM »
I actually do insist on boyfriend getting me chocolate for V-day. The local vegan store only imports the really top quality chocolate twice a year (Valentines and Easter), and I'm NOT missing out on that. 

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #536 on: February 12, 2016, 10:32:53 AM »
Haha! Actually the chocolade thing is something I am ok with. (Just not the 3x prices on the special boxes). Its something you would buy anyway. So buy the usual stuff and wrap it up nicely. Jump into the bed of the other and... Valentines Day!

The japanese "tradition" that girls give the boys chocolade is just too cute ^^ Of course the chocolade industry is now trying (or tried and it didnt work? I am not up to date) to get the "white day" into tradition - boys present white chocolade bak to the girls.

pompera_firpa

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #537 on: February 12, 2016, 10:37:11 AM »
Back when we were contemplating a February date for our wedding, my husband and I decided that February would be fine ONLY if we would skip celebrating Valentine's Day and concentrate our February celebration money / effort on our anniversary.

Never regretted it. A+ decision, avoiding the crowds and the pressure and the bumped-up prices. These days, we get double mileage out of it because we can trade babysitting with another couple in the neighborhood-- we babysit for them on the 14th, and then they babysit for us on our anniversary.

kathrynd

• Bristles
« Reply #538 on: February 12, 2016, 12:57:18 PM »
I wash and save the super sturdy foam meat trays from the grocery store.
When I don't feel like washing dishes, or we have a picnic....perfect !!

sstants

• Stubble
« Reply #539 on: February 19, 2016, 07:57:12 AM »
I don't buy paper towels, tin foil, plastic wrap...disposable anything really (besides recycled toilet paper). I just ask myself how someone would have stored/done something 80 years ago and do it that way. Ditto with cleaning supplies: vinegar and baking soda and old t-shirt rags work for everything.

Basenji

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #540 on: February 19, 2016, 08:06:36 AM »
I don't buy paper towels, tin foil, plastic wrap...disposable anything really (besides recycled toilet paper). I just ask myself how someone would have stored/done something 80 years ago and do it that way. Ditto with cleaning supplies: vinegar and baking soda and old t-shirt rags work for everything.
That's cool. I love my little depression-era glass fridge containers.

chetmanly

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #541 on: February 19, 2016, 08:56:56 AM »
1. I live in a friend's garage
2. I do not own a mattress, sheets, blankets, or a pillow
3. I don't have a refrigerator
4. I lived for 7 years without a personal laptop or desktop computer
4. I do not have any purpose built cooking equipment or utensils other than a titanium spork, a titanium cup, and an MSR reactor integrated stove and pot.
5. Everything I own can fit into a Toyota Prius
6. I never sleep in a hotel, when I can sleep in a car or campground instead.
7. I refuse to buy or receive gifts for holidays
8. I refused freely offered things where there is typically an eventual expectation of reciprocation (like a round of drinks at a bar)
9. My preferred means of traveling long distances over land is hiking or hitch-hiking.

My spouse and I are just starting out. She's... used to a certain level of living. She'll live in a one bedroom apartment fine. Live without a car? No way in hell.

If she gets hit by a bus, this is how I will live. I don't see any reason to live any other way if you're a single male. Or a single anything.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #542 on: February 19, 2016, 11:03:53 AM »

Yea.... that sounds horrible. Why wouldn't you want to go stand in line for an hour to get a seat in a crowded noisy  restaurant where you will be served sub par food by an overworked staff who can't even keep my DAMN  glass of water full.  Believe it or not people pay good money for this shit.

Yep, took my bride to a local buffet on Valentines Day. It was Horrible.
They were busy, the first thing was, they had no plates! We had to wait for the dishwasher to bring plates out.
Then they had no silverware! We filled our plates, my wife got to the table first and ask a waitress to get us
silverware, the waitress responded, we're busy!  She was actually watching a table of minorities to make sure they paid.
Yep!--- She did finally bring our silverware. Then my wife pulled a shrimp from her mouth with a hair in it.
  I began watching the waitresses, there was no one with a smile, customers were not happy because of having to wait for dishes. The floor had a lot of trash near our table the waitress used her shoe to slide it away from my seat so I could sit without walking through it. She said, "sorry".  While another waitress was busing dishes she dropped two napkins, looked down at them and then just walked away.
 I like the food choice there, but doubt I'll ever get my wife to go there again. But, it is rare, she is a great cook,
and her meals are better than most restaurants anyway.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #543 on: February 19, 2016, 11:16:38 AM »
No Cable/TV
Drive a 12 year old car worth less than I make every 2 weeks
Use Groupon for 90% of restaurant outings
Travel CC Hack
Avoid paying for "convenience" items/services
Carry $0 debt my whole life

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #544 on: February 19, 2016, 12:12:27 PM »
I'm in the middle of a month of really long hours at work, which makes cooking during the week extremely impractical. The obvious solution to this is to do very organized shopping and batch cooking on the weekend and prepare all the meals for me and my boyfriend for the week. Breakfasts, lunches, dinners, snacks, bread, the works.

Apparently the obvious solution for normal people is to rely heavily on takeout and frozen dinners. Justified by "Well, if you're making so much overtime, you can afford it". I'm not working into the night to pay for overpriced boxes of oily noodles! That's retirement money!

Sweetloveginger

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Sweet Love & Ginger - A food & Lifestyle Blog
« Reply #545 on: February 19, 2016, 12:33:25 PM »

My husband typically goes ice fishing on valentines weekend. This year (theres not a lot of ice) we went to a friends house to hang out. We don't nee big companies to tell us which day of the year we are supposed to celebrate each other, we are pretty good at that on our own thanks.

Sweetloveginger

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Sweet Love & Ginger - A food & Lifestyle Blog
« Reply #546 on: February 19, 2016, 12:37:22 PM »
I've never understood the appeal of Disneyland either.

Me neither.  Especially if you don't have kids.  I cannot for the life of me figure out how adults would plan an adult vacation at Disneyland/world/whatever.  And then there are people who get married or do their honeymoon there! WTF?!?!?!!!

OMG this so much! I don't even want to take my kids there. The fakeness actually makes me sick to my stomach.

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #547 on: February 19, 2016, 04:10:48 PM »

I can cut you a good deal on that!  I am currently just throwing it away!

iwasjustwondering

• Bristles
« Reply #548 on: February 19, 2016, 04:46:23 PM »
Delaying remarriage in order to maximize potential financial aid for college for my kids. 

my2c+61

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #549 on: February 19, 2016, 07:06:09 PM »
Lead a mustachian lifestyle (middle of the road)
Still live in our first home, shoe box shit shack. 25 years
Mortgage free 15 years.
Current debt level $145.
Discovered that young children often get more out of a cardboard box than its contents. For the better part of 10 years we kept a collection of large cardboard boxes around the house for the kids to play with. They where the best value for money toys I came across.