Author Topic: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)  (Read 5087086 times)

AlwaysLearningToSave

• Bristles
Re: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)
« Reply #2200 on: November 26, 2015, 06:46:37 AM »
We went to Bed Bath and Beyond to buy some kitchen supplies we weren't finding at more reasonably-priced stores. We armed ourselves with a $5 off a $20.00 purchase coupon figuring that it would cost $20 or $25 dollars. We didn't find exactly what we were looking for, but found something pretty darn close for just over $15.00. Not wanting the coupon to go to waste, we then set out to find some $5 item to reach the minimum spend.  We wandered the store for twenty minutes unable to find anything we need or want. In a giant store full of kitchen crap, there was nothing that fit the bill. The appealing things were overpriced non-essentials and defeated the purpose of spending just enough to use the coupon. The items that were cheap enough would not fill any of our wants or needs. We ended up buying way overpriced single-serve hot cocoa that we didn't really want but figured we would use since it was basically free.

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #2201 on: November 26, 2015, 07:50:59 AM »
We went to Bed Bath and Beyond to buy some kitchen supplies we weren't finding at more reasonably-priced stores. We armed ourselves with a $5 off a $20.00 purchase coupon figuring that it would cost $20 or $25 dollars. We didn't find exactly what we were looking for, but found something pretty darn close for just over $15.00. Not wanting the coupon to go to waste, we then set out to find some $5 item to reach the minimum spend.  We wandered the store for twenty minutes unable to find anything we need or want. In a giant store full of kitchen crap, there was nothing that fit the bill. The appealing things were overpriced non-essentials and defeated the purpose of spending just enough to use the coupon. The items that were cheap enough would not fill any of our wants or needs. We ended up buying way overpriced single-serve hot cocoa that we didn't really want but figured we would use since it was basically free.

Sounds familiar. Wasn't there something that could be used as a gift for someone else? I usually take something for a friend or kids from a friend.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2202 on: November 26, 2015, 03:03:31 PM »
A button on my coat broke.  Glue repair was unsuccessful.  Replacement buttons will cost more than the coat did initially.

It's still functional of course, (though quite drafty) so I have time to look at options.   

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2203 on: November 26, 2015, 08:04:50 PM »
Could someone please come up with things I want for Christmas?
Gift certificates (including stock shares...), charity donation, and anything practical (new mop, groceries, paper products to stock) has been dismissed.
Reimbursing me for something I buy has also been (so I can't get jeans- because there is no way they'll find the right size)

I just do not want more crap for my home.

DollarBill

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2204 on: November 26, 2015, 09:44:05 PM »
There is so much irony and wisdom in this post...loved it!

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2205 on: November 26, 2015, 10:49:59 PM »
Gift certificates (including stock shares...), charity donation, and anything practical (new mop, groceries, paper products to stock) has been dismissed.
Reimbursing me for something I buy has also been (so I can't get jeans- because there is no way they'll find the right size)

Something edible. Wine, chocolate, fancy jams, cheeses, or other limited edition or semi luxuries you wouldn't buy yourself.

Any experiences you would like to have but wouldn't buy?  Tickets to a concert or comedian or sporting event or museum that you could attend with the gift giver?

Merrie

• Bristles
« Reply #2206 on: November 27, 2015, 09:33:14 AM »
Some fancy item that is specifically available at X store, where X is a store that stocks the jeans you want. Then return it and use the store credit to buy the jeans. :D Or, tell them the jeans you want and then you can swap them out if they get the wrong size?

serpentstooth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2207 on: November 27, 2015, 09:43:44 AM »
A button on my coat broke.  Glue repair was unsuccessful.  Replacement buttons will cost more than the coat did initially.

It's still functional of course, (though quite drafty) so I have time to look at options.

1. Email the manufacturer. This once got me a whole new set of free hardware for a coat.
2. Go to a thift store, dig through their coats, find one with nice buttons, buy it, remove buttons and put them on your coat.
3. Ebay has much cheaper buttons than anywhere else (I knit sweaters and button costs are a problem for me too) and there are some very nice, inexpensive metal ones in lots of 10, 20 or 50 for a few dollars, shipped.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2208 on: November 27, 2015, 10:13:50 AM »

1. Email the manufacturer. This once got me a whole new set of free hardware for a coat.
2. Go to a thift store, dig through their coats, find one with nice buttons, buy it, remove buttons and put them on your coat.
3. Ebay has much cheaper buttons than anywhere else (I knit sweaters and button costs are a problem for me too) and there are some very nice, inexpensive metal ones in lots of 10, 20 or 50 for a few dollars, shipped.

#2 is a great option- if you can't match the other buttons, just replace them all. Bonus: new look!

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #2209 on: November 27, 2015, 11:39:44 AM »
My favorite coat has 3 different buttons now, they are all black and the correct size.  Somehow no one notices unless I point it out, so it remains my favorite coat with mis-matched buttons!

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2210 on: November 30, 2015, 03:36:40 AM »

Anything you use regularly that could stand to be replaced? We've been asking for a new Global knife each time and now have basically a full set, and a good tool that you use daily really can improve your quality of life, IMO.

Think about things you do use, and could use an upgrade. The original can then go to a charity shop and help someone starting out. Win for everyone - gift giver fulfils their need (even if you don't approve of it), you get something useful rather than crap that will sit around, and nothing goes to waste.

eg. frying pan, nice winter gloves, one lovely pen you will take care of and get rid of others that clutter the place up etc. (but replace with items that you regularly use in your life)

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #2211 on: November 30, 2015, 05:19:15 AM »
My favorite coat has 3 different buttons now, they are all black and the correct size.  Somehow no one notices unless I point it out, so it remains my favorite coat with mis-matched buttons!

I did this once with a cardigan, one button was missing. I didn't have matching buttons but found some from the same size but different colours. I replaced the missing one and one of the others (I thought it was better to have 3 different buttons than 2 of the same and one different). I got a lot of compliments?! People thought I bought it that way and it was from a fancy creative shop. ;)

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2212 on: November 30, 2015, 08:17:30 AM »

People seem to like to give things related to hobbies rather than "everyday" stuff. For example, I'd like to increase the size of my mustache by learning how to can, so I've asked for canning supplies (nwedible.com, who posts here sometimes, has a good list on her website). If you cook, then other cooking supplies might be needed. Or "fancy" foods or food-related items that you'd never buy for yourself. Or maybe your hobbies take you outside of the kitchen -- ask for gear for anything from kayaking to knitting.

To turn this on its head... I've realized that without thinking about it, the gifts I'm giving this year are rather Mustachian in the sense that they're consumable and won't just sit around gathering dust. I'm giving one person a small trip (I get to go, too!), another some foods and drinks he likes, and another a "Vitamix starter kit" (a bunch of my favorite Vitamix recipes with the required nuts, seeds, fruit, etc. to make them) since I know he's getting a Vitamix from someone else. Another person is getting some foods from places I've traveled to, as well as some books that can be given to friends or Goodwill once he's finished with them.

Allison

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2213 on: November 30, 2015, 08:26:45 AM »
You go to your sister's house for Thanksgiving and it is so hot (70) you have to change your wardrobe!

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #2214 on: November 30, 2015, 09:09:49 AM »
Friends don't get me when I say I really don't want big expensive gifts for my birthday from my boyfriend. They think I'm jealous or something.. I tried to explain that you can't buy love, I think it's a waste of money anyway and so on..

And they think it's really sad for us that our car (from 2001) broke down and think we can't repair it or something because we didn't (we could've). We love it, it was just the push we needed to get rid of that thing. We were talking about it for awhile.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 09:12:58 AM by Sanne »

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2215 on: November 30, 2015, 09:13:47 AM »
Friends don't get me when I say I really don't want big expensive gifts for my birthday from my boyfriend. They think I'm jealous or something.. I tried to explain that you can't buy love, I think it's a waste of money anyway and so on..

And they think it's really sad for us that our car (from 2001) broke down and think we can't repair it or something because we didn't (we could've). We love it, it was just the push we needed to get rid of that thing. We were talking about it for awhile.
Just say he should give you a filled savings account. You can then present it back and forth and everyone is happy.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2216 on: November 30, 2015, 06:10:43 PM »

And they think it's really sad for us that our car (from 2001) broke down and think we can't repair it or something because we didn't (we coul
d've). We love it, it was just the push we needed to get rid of that thing. We were talking about it for awhile.

Yes about the big gifts for/from boyfriend thing. Also, upon our engagement, everyone wanted to know : where's the ring?
Haha- six months later, we still haven't found rings and haven't looked for quite some time now. Ppl also want to know about the dress, the location, whatever else. Sry ppl, we're not the type to hav planning parties and we're not in a hurry. :)

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2217 on: November 30, 2015, 09:43:20 PM »
Didn't want anything for my birthday.

Got breakfast in bed and some time to finish building a workbench for my kids out of garage scraps.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2218 on: December 01, 2015, 12:01:41 AM »
Didn't want anything for my birthday.

Got breakfast in bed and some time to finish building a workbench for my kids out of garage scraps.

Sounds like a great birthday:)

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2219 on: December 01, 2015, 06:34:13 AM »
AMEX has an offer where you get $10 back on $30 spent at the pump at ExxonMobil stations. At current gas prices, we cannot reach $30 worth of fuel in either of our vehicles. Going with both vehicles at the same time just to get past $30 seems like such a waste.

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #2220 on: December 01, 2015, 07:24:49 AM »

Just say he should give you a filled savings account. You can then present it back and forth and everyone is happy.

Reminds me of Dilbert ;)

DividendMoney

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Dividend Money
« Reply #2221 on: December 01, 2015, 07:32:47 AM »

Reminds me of Dilbert ;)

This X1000.  I'm not scrooge, like my wife says, I just don't want or need anything. And, the comment about the guilt is also very real for me.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2222 on: December 01, 2015, 08:04:10 AM »
AMEX has an offer where you get $10 back on $30 spent at the pump at ExxonMobil stations. At current gas prices, we cannot reach $30 worth of fuel in either of our vehicles. Going with both vehicles at the same time just to get past $30 seems like such a waste.

My car can't fit $30 of gas at current prices either. I like this. But I brought a gas can with me for this. We needed gas for the snow blower (in the summer, for the lawn mower.)

Though if both vehicles need gas, I don't see the waste of taking them both.

Beaker

• Bristles
« Reply #2223 on: December 01, 2015, 08:40:29 AM »

Reminds me of Dilbert ;)

This X1000.  I'm not scrooge, like my wife says, I just don't want or need anything. And, the comment about the guilt is also very real for me.

x2 on the guilt thing. I've still got gifts sitting around the house that I feel guilty about not having sold yet. Half the gifts I get feel more like an obligation to store, sell, or otherwise dispose of some damn thing I didn't even want. "Here's another chore for you, Merry Christmas!"

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2224 on: December 01, 2015, 09:22:05 AM »

Reminds me of Dilbert ;)

x2 on the guilt thing. I've still got gifts sitting around the house that I feel guilty about not having sold yet. Half the gifts I get feel more like an obligation to store, sell, or otherwise dispose of some damn thing I didn't even want. "Here's another chore for you, Merry Christmas!"

I just get money. I don't need/want much of anything, and the money is always useful for something eventually. DW and I have been getting rid of a lot of things, some with guilty feelings, some without.

mbl

• Bristles
« Reply #2225 on: December 01, 2015, 09:44:45 AM »

Reminds me of Dilbert ;)

Yes, yes, and yes.    Well stated sir.

mbl

• Bristles
« Reply #2226 on: December 01, 2015, 09:47:15 AM »
I've taken to selling useless small stuff on ebay.
My dirty little secret as some of the things were given to me as gifts.
Needless to say, I don't let anyone know my seller id.....bwahh.

DividendMoney

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Dividend Money
« Reply #2227 on: December 01, 2015, 09:58:47 AM »
I have what appears to me to be a very expensive 'Coach' wallet that was given to me as a present for being a Groomsman at a wedding... It's been 2 years and it's still in the box and sitting in my dresser.

I have no real use for it, but would feel very guilty about selling it. :(

mbl

• Bristles
« Reply #2228 on: December 01, 2015, 10:01:12 AM »
I have what appears to me to be a very expensive 'Coach' wallet that was given to me as a present for being a Groomsman at a wedding... It's been 2 years and it's still in the box and sitting in my dresser.

I understand how you feel. 
I've managed to get over the guilt.
I'm probably just more mercenary than the average bear I guess  :)

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2229 on: December 01, 2015, 10:45:43 AM »

Do you not use a wallet? If you have it, you might as well use it even if it isn't something you'd buy.

Otherwise, just sell it.  It's been 2 years. Many of them have probably worn out by now. 
I got rid of the earrings I got as a bridesmaid gift at one wedding, and the vase from another- it has been more than 10 years, the sentimental value of a generic gift wore out.  And the tub of margarita mix I got at a third I gave away the day we got them... I'm still baffled by that one, as my friend of 25 years knew I didn't drink, she just got us all the same thing.

DividendMoney

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Dividend Money
« Reply #2230 on: December 01, 2015, 10:54:33 AM »

Do you not use a wallet? If you have it, you might as well use it even if it isn't something you'd buy.

Otherwise, just sell it.  It's been 2 years. Many of them have probably worn out by now. 
I got rid of the earrings I got as a bridesmaid gift at one wedding, and the vase from another- it has been more than 10 years, the sentimental value of a generic gift wore out.  And the tub of margarita mix I got at a third I gave away the day we got them... I'm still baffled by that one, as my friend of 25 years knew I didn't drink, she just got us all the same thing.

I have a perfectly fine wallet that I like, that I've had for about 6 years.

To that point, almost everything I carry in my wallet is now stored on my phone - including my Bank's 'mobile wallet' - for debit/credit cards. All loyalty/Rewards cards and health/insurance cards are stored in the app 'StoCard' - which is free and awesome by the way.

When my current physical wallet fails, I'm almost sure I'll have no use for an actual wallet at all.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2231 on: December 01, 2015, 11:01:21 AM »

My husband must be rough on his wallet. We buy decent leather ones, but they rarely last more than a few years. It only takes a few months before there is an outline on the outside of the leather from the contents inside of it. 

He probably has too much stuff in it (not using any of the electronic things you mention), and keeping it in his back pocket means he always sits on it.

DividendMoney

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Dividend Money
« Reply #2232 on: December 01, 2015, 11:06:55 AM »
keeping it in his back pocket means he always sits on it.

I can't fit anything in my back pockets. Too much squatting and skating got me 'dat booty make J-Lo jealous!' :)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2233 on: December 01, 2015, 11:10:36 AM »

My husband must be rough on his wallet. We buy decent leather ones, but they rarely last more than a few years. It only takes a few months before there is an outline on the outside of the leather from the contents inside of it. 

He probably has too much stuff in it (not using any of the electronic things you mention), and keeping it in his back pocket means he always sits on it.

We switched my DH to a money/card clip and it has held up far better than any of his wallets ever did.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001RMKLCC?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage  (Although when we bought, it was $25). We're going on 2 years, which is already twice as long as most of his wallets lasted.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2234 on: December 01, 2015, 11:53:50 AM »

Spend $200 on a wallet and you'll treat it so well it lasts forever.  Ask me how I know ;-)

You can use margarita mix to make tasty non alcoholic drinks.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2235 on: December 01, 2015, 12:36:03 PM »

It had tequila in it.

Eric222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2236 on: December 01, 2015, 03:07:32 PM »

We switched my DH to a money/card clip and it has held up far better than any of his wallets ever did.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001RMKLCC?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage  (Although when we bought, it was $25). We're going on 2 years, which is already twice as long as most of his wallets lasted.

I gave up on wallets.  I use one of my daughter's ponytail holders to tie around my cards...I think they cost like $.05 each. :)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2237 on: December 01, 2015, 03:15:05 PM »

It had tequila in it.

That's not "margarita mix," that's "margarita," although I've never heard of such a thing.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2238 on: December 01, 2015, 03:34:33 PM »

Reminds me of Dilbert ;)

I just get money. I don't need/want much of anything, and the money is always useful for something eventually. DW and I have been getting rid of a lot of things, some with guilty feelings, some without.

I like money ;). Always a great gift. But seriously, it would be nice to do away with the obligatory gift giving thing. And I'm not alone in this in my family- my aunt and uncle hav already stated this, but parents are absolutely not on board.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #2239 on: December 01, 2015, 05:14:00 PM »
This shouldn't be a problem, but now that I've automated my finances, have enough cushion to not need to do shell games with my accounts, live close to work, batch cook, navy shower, build exercise into my daily life, avoid most shopping, watch very little TV, procrastinate less, worry less, respond to negative/whiny people with "and what are you going to do about it?", clean to the "clean enough" stage, avoid "pretend work" at work, forgive people quickly, stockpile food, and try not to sweat the small stuff, I have sooooooo much spare time! Which I then spend online...

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2240 on: December 01, 2015, 05:19:01 PM »
I have sooooooo much spare time! Which I then spend online...

+1. I recently started a pinterest board of hobbies I want to pick up. So far, I have: calligraphy, sewing, adult coloring pages, and violin.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2241 on: December 01, 2015, 05:25:44 PM »

It had tequila in it.

That's not "margarita mix," that's "margarita," although I've never heard of such a thing.

Yeah I guess that's right. Pre-mixed margarita; not margarita mix.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2242 on: December 01, 2015, 07:55:21 PM »

+1. I recently started a pinterest board of hobbies I want to pick up. So far, I have: calligraphy, sewing, adult coloring pages, and violin.

Adult coloring pages... Intriguing.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2243 on: December 01, 2015, 08:00:30 PM »

Oh yes. It is all the rage. Mandalas, etc. The more intricate patterns are what make them "adult", although fewer cartoon characters is a bonus.
http://www.coloring-pages-adults.com/coloring-zen/

I like to use colored pencils or these pens:
http://www.amazon.com/Staedtler-Triplus-Fineliner-Assorted-334SB10/dp/B000RMS238/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1449025180&sr=8-1&keywords=Staedtler+10ct+Black+Fine+tip+Felt+tip+Marker+Pen

And it's got health benefits! It's a good alternative to meditation: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/coloring-benefits-meditation_55b7c9c1e4b0074ba5a6724f

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2244 on: December 01, 2015, 08:06:30 PM »

Oh yes. It is all the rage. Mandalas, etc. The more intricate patterns are what make them "adult", although fewer cartoon characters is a bonus.

http://www.amazon.com/Staedtler-Triplus-Fineliner-Assorted-334SB10/dp/B000RMS238/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1449025180&sr=8-1&keywords=Staedtler+10ct+Black+Fine+tip+Felt+tip+Marker+Pen

And it's got health benefits! It's a good alternative to meditation: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/coloring-benefits-meditation_55b7c9c1e4b0074ba5a6724f

Cool, I've done a little of this and is pretty fun:) (didn't know it is called adult coloring). I did some of beautiful jungle animals, others of renaissance.
Honestly though, I thought the reference was to something else entirely ;). Shows where my mind's at ha-ha.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2245 on: December 01, 2015, 08:16:50 PM »

Cool, I've done a little of this and is pretty fun:) (didn't know it is called adult coloring). I did some of beautiful jungle animals, others of renaissance.
Honestly though, I thought the reference was to something else entirely ;). Shows where my mind's at ha-ha.

Sorry to disappoint. But hey- a lot of the color pages are botanical in nature. And we all know what Georgia O'Keeffe was really painting ;)

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #2246 on: December 01, 2015, 08:29:35 PM »

It's becoming quite popular these days! I know a Mustachian artistic couple who made a really nice adult coloring book to sell as a side gig. It's apparently selling fairly well as a Christmas gift right now.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2247 on: December 02, 2015, 05:29:33 AM »

I can sell you a perfectly nice, durable wallet purchased from one of the leatherworkers at the Texas Renaissance Festival. Totally unused. Real leather, and I bet it lasts longer.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2248 on: December 02, 2015, 08:17:37 AM »
I wish coloring books for adults was a thing when I was in college. (I can't bring myself to say "adult coloring book"; sounds like you are coloring porn.)

I color on planes to help with anxiety. I would usually get a Disney princess book before a trip.  Very grown up.

Uturn

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2249 on: December 02, 2015, 01:11:18 PM »
I wish coloring books for adults was a thing when I was in college. (I can't bring myself to say "adult coloring book"; sounds like you are coloring porn.)

They have those
http://www.amazon.com/Porno-Coloring-Book-Stinky-Johnson/dp/061558649X

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!