Author Topic: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)  (Read 5093919 times)

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
  • FIRE: June 17, 2016
Re: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)
« Reply #1900 on: September 14, 2015, 07:08:25 PM »
I had to ask my colleague of 6 years what days we get paid on, because I apparently stopped paying attention so long ago I totally forgot.
That's been a problem for me for the last decade! We have staff meetings on the monday after payday - and I never know which day that is because I'm not living paycheck to paycheck.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1901 on: September 15, 2015, 05:58:13 AM »
$5 Sbux peach-green tea-lemonade my husband bought me tonite while we are on a weekend vacation feels totally extravagant and special.
This is one of the things I dislike about Starbucks: "peach-green tea-lemonade"

So what is it? Green tea or lemonade? Peach flavour, or lemon? It's like they pick a few nice things and then assume that sticking them all together will make them better.

I put in an expense report this week for charges going back to may.  It was just under $2k.  Boss asked me why it took so long.  I said "I can see it in the budget, but it takes $2k for me to feel it". 

I approve expenses at work. I see two scenarios, and have noted how I interpret each:

(Bear in mind that I am a mustachian and do not need my salary, even. But I have the standard cognitive bias that whilst I don't need money for good reason, other people's reasons are not as good as my own. So your boss may well be thinking what I'm thinking x 1000):

Scenario 1)
"Please can you approve ASAP, I need the cash to pay for my holiday"

I take to mean: bad with money, hmmm, noted that you can't handle your own life so you probably aren't the best choice for that complex project I have in mind

Scenario 2) No claim for months on end

I take to mean: we are paying you too much, because you can't even be bothered to put a claim in for months. Noted for next salary review that you are not hurting for cash.

TLDR: you can't win with me. But giving the impression you are either bad with money, or have no need for it, can adversely affect you at work. (I have never worried the guy has FY money. He's replaceable. It's good to know for salary negotiations that he is extremely comfortable as he is though). 

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1902 on: September 15, 2015, 06:45:57 AM »
When you are $0.06 away from getting free shipping on Amazon, and you have absolutely nothing else you want to buy.

There are a lot of things on amazon that sell for under a dollar. I just donate them to goodwill when I get them and consider it a reasonable shipping fee.

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1903 on: September 15, 2015, 09:37:17 AM »
I put in an expense report this week for charges going back to may.  It was just under $2k.  Boss asked me why it took so long.  I said "I can see it in the budget, but it takes $2k for me to feel it". 

I approve expenses at work. I see two scenarios, and have noted how I interpret each:

(Bear in mind that I am a mustachian and do not need my salary, even. But I have the standard cognitive bias that whilst I don't need money for good reason, other people's reasons are not as good as my own. So your boss may well be thinking what I'm thinking x 1000):

Scenario 1)
"Please can you approve ASAP, I need the cash to pay for my holiday"

I take to mean: bad with money, hmmm, noted that you can't handle your own life so you probably aren't the best choice for that complex project I have in mind

Scenario 2) No claim for months on end

I take to mean: we are paying you too much, because you can't even be bothered to put a claim in for months. Noted for next salary review that you are not hurting for cash.

TLDR: you can't win with me. But giving the impression you are either bad with money, or have no need for it, can adversely affect you at work. (I have never worried the guy has FY money. He's replaceable. It's good to know for salary negotiations that he is extremely comfortable as he is though).

This is very interesting. What do you think of someone who puts in an expense report promptly (well, within 1-2 weeks of the expense), but without the "please approve ASAP" request? That's been my standard, but I definitely don't want to give the impression that I'm bad with money. I'm not. I'm treating the company money like my own: get the documentation done before I forget the details.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1904 on: September 15, 2015, 09:54:13 AM »
This is very interesting. What do you think of someone who puts in an expense report promptly (well, within 1-2 weeks of the expense), but without the "please approve ASAP" request? That's been my standard, but I definitely don't want to give the impression that I'm bad with money. I'm not. I'm treating the company money like my own: get the documentation done before I forget the details.
I think this is the best way to go, personally. I would never wait on filing a bunch of expenses after working at a company that went under - one of my co-workers hadn't filed for expenses in months and lost thousands of dollars in addition to her job. Ouch.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1905 on: September 15, 2015, 12:24:46 PM »
When you are $0.06 away from getting free shipping on Amazon, and you have absolutely nothing else you want to buy.

There are a lot of things on amazon that sell for under a dollar. I just donate them to goodwill when I get them and consider it a reasonable shipping fee.

Specifically, go to http://www.filleritem.com/ and plug in the amount you need.  I just bought an old Magic the gathering card for like $.05 to get free shipping.  Often the item is a bolt or screw that will eventually have use

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1906 on: September 15, 2015, 12:30:07 PM »
Often the item is a bolt or screw that will eventually have use
For years the best selling item at a certain electronics catalog company was a 1c surface mount resistor.
Their free shipping was $x.00 and of course every item was $x.99

Eventually someone worked out how much it was costing them to pick and pack a single pinhead sized resistor and made the free shipping a little more lenient.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1907 on: September 15, 2015, 12:46:43 PM »
I can't save hundreds a month by paying off my car, not buying coffee at starbucks, paying off student loans, moving to a cheaper apartment in my hcol area, cancelling tv service, or even going prepaid on the phone! I've already done those things or didn't have to. Yet I know I can do better, even if it's hard to see. We don't save >50% of take-home right now, and that's my MPP! I see all of you badasses doing like 75% 'n all that, and I have savings rate envy! The last year we only saved 36% of take-home.

Le Barbu

• Handlebar Stache
  • I really didn’t say everything I said - Y. B.
« Reply #1908 on: September 15, 2015, 04:57:54 PM »
I can't save hundreds a month by paying off my car, not buying coffee at starbucks, paying off student loans, moving to a cheaper apartment in my hcol area, cancelling tv service, or even going prepaid on the phone! I've already done those things or didn't have to. Yet I know I can do better, even if it's hard to see. We don't save >50% of take-home right now, and that's my MPP! I see all of you badasses doing like 75% 'n all that, and I have savings rate envy! The last year we only saved 36% of take-home.

I barely improved my SR since I know MMM because we were already frugal and invest a lot. Always been arround 40% for years. At least, we quit the lifestyle inflation and work a bit less so tax rate keep reasonable.

Quinn

« Reply #1909 on: September 15, 2015, 06:06:24 PM »

Specifically, go to http://www.filleritem.com/ and plug in the amount you need.  I just bought an old Magic the gathering card for like $.05 to get free shipping.  Often the item is a bolt or screw that will eventually have use

Great tip, thanks!

Urchina

• Stubble
« Reply #1910 on: September 15, 2015, 09:39:47 PM »
When my co-workers or students are talking about a great TV show they love, or a movie they've just seen at the theatre, and I'm like "Hey, I'm reading this amazing library book called (insert self-help, fiction from 5 years ago or DIY skill-building book title here). You ever read it?"

It's a conversation killer. They don't read. I don't watch much TV. 

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1911 on: September 15, 2015, 10:04:31 PM »
When my co-workers or students are talking about a great TV show they love, or a movie they've just seen at the theatre, and I'm like "Hey, I'm reading this amazing library book called (insert self-help, fiction from 5 years ago or DIY skill-building book title here). You ever read it?"

It's a conversation killer. They don't read. I don't watch much TV.

I know what u mean . constant TV references or detailed account of series and why its amazing & I should see it, etc .
I always hav a stack of library books however :)

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1912 on: September 16, 2015, 04:50:34 AM »

You are my favourite type of employee, organised, reliable, no hassle. I meant to say my ideal is probably submitting your report the week or two following month end, because that's when supplier invoiced are coming in as well. But as long as you don't beg for it early, or leave it months so I have a big stack if receipts to analyse, I'm happy. (To clarify: I have to analyse every receipt for VAT. But lots at once makes it harder because I'm balancing it to one total, so if there's an anomaly it's more difficult to find.) No need to tell me why you need the money, it's your money!

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1913 on: September 16, 2015, 07:52:59 AM »
and I have savings rate envy!
For once an envy I like! lol

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1914 on: September 16, 2015, 11:32:46 AM »
So. Many. Dishes.

Cooking from scratch, day in and day out, makes for many pots and pans to be washed!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1915 on: September 16, 2015, 11:33:22 AM »
So. Many. Dishes.

Cooking from scratch, day in and day out, makes for many pots and pans to be washed!

+1. And no dishwasher!

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #1916 on: September 16, 2015, 11:54:38 AM »
So. Many. Dishes.

I'm glad dishes are my boyfriend's domain! I've asked him many times how he feels about "the pile" that frequently appears, but apparently he doesn't mind - his answer is usually along the lines of "It means I get to eat delicious food all the time". Now, if we were eating gross food and still making the same amount of dishes, I imagine he'd feel differently....

meg_shannon

• Stubble
« Reply #1917 on: September 16, 2015, 12:00:12 PM »
We're living in Germany for a year, and have had to see medical providers for routine care. Their insurance is pretty good here (for the Germans), but we have to pay cash and submit receipts to our insurance company and then submit the remaining amount to our FSA.

The medical staff were very concerned that it would be too expensive - on the phone, before the appointment, and after. They told us we could get a bill and submit it first (we are registered here so they could track us down), pay a little now, etc. They were very surprised when I paid the bill in full.

BTW is was about 180$ for the appointment. I imagine the same thing will happen at the pharmacy and back at the office when she gets her vaccinations.

MM_MG

• Stubble
« Reply #1918 on: September 16, 2015, 01:11:33 PM »
At the Wells Fargo ATM on the screen where you enter your pin number it gives you the option to go to your most frequently used transaction type.  Mine now reads "Make a deposit and email receipt." 

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1919 on: September 16, 2015, 01:16:21 PM »
At the Wells Fargo ATM on the screen where you enter your pin number it gives you the option to go to your most frequently used transaction type.  Mine now reads "Make a deposit and email receipt."

I think it's your most recently used, though it could be most used. Mine shows the same as that's all I ever do as well. Plus, the most insane thing is, the teller (when I was depositing cash) looked at me and said, "Looks like you've been a Wells Fargo customer for... 25 years." I'm 25 years old.

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1920 on: September 16, 2015, 02:48:57 PM »
looked at me and said, "Looks like you've been a Wells Fargo customer for... 25 years." I'm 25 years old.
And that is the reason for the 2nd amendment

MM_MG

• Stubble
« Reply #1921 on: September 16, 2015, 04:17:02 PM »

I think it's your most recently used, though it could be most used. Mine shows the same as that's all I ever do as well. Plus, the most insane thing is, the teller (when I was depositing cash) looked at me and said, "Looks like you've been a Wells Fargo customer for... 25 years." I'm 25 years old.

That could be.  I'm just glad it doesn't read "Withdraw $100 from checking" anymore.  ;)

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1922 on: September 17, 2015, 05:32:24 AM »
That is what mine would be   ;-)   Because the only reasons I actually go to my bank's ATM are to deposit a random cheque or get a bit of cash ($100 in actual cash lasts a long time).  Online banking for the win.

That could be.  I'm just glad it doesn't read "Withdraw $100 from checking" anymore.  ;)

Jappe

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1923 on: September 17, 2015, 05:37:31 AM »
My supermarket only has 12 eggs of the cheap brand while they do have boxes of 6 of the more expensive. So now I'm buying 12 eggs instead of 6 because it's cheaper, knowing I probably will have to throw roughly 6 of them away and I hate spilling food... :(
(I don't like hard/softboiled eggs, omelet, ... I only use them for some desserts and very rarely for pancakes).

Although I might have a go at making a quiche one of these days I guess...

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #1924 on: September 17, 2015, 06:48:30 AM »
My supermarket only has 12 eggs of the cheap brand while they do have boxes of 6 of the more expensive. So now I'm buying 12 eggs instead of 6 because it's cheaper, knowing I probably will have to throw roughly 6 of them away and I hate spilling food... :(
(I don't like hard/softboiled eggs, omelet, ... I only use them for some desserts and very rarely for pancakes).

Consider substituting the eggs for baking and pancakes with flax eggs: http://minimalistbaker.com/how-to-make-a-flax-egg/

Healthier (no cholesterol, only healthy fats, good for omega-3, protein and fiber) & cheaper (doesn't go bad, just keep in your cupboard and use when needed).

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
  • Penny wise, pound foolish
« Reply #1925 on: September 17, 2015, 08:37:56 AM »

Or just increase your pancake consumption. That would be my preference.

Lol exactly my thought!

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1926 on: September 17, 2015, 10:58:48 AM »
I get free bus rides with my student I.D.  Now trying to thing of places I want to go.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
Re: Mustachian People Problems (NOT for fun)
« Reply #1927 on: September 17, 2015, 12:11:59 PM »
Ever since I started doing my own car maintenance I find myself looking for more things to do and considering unnecessary early maintenance.  For example, I drive so little ill probably never get to the 110k spark plug interval so I might end up changing them early just so they don't sit there too many years (I hear they can seize... Similar mileage vs time issues with other items like tires, timing belt, fluids, etc)

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1928 on: September 17, 2015, 12:47:55 PM »
So. Many. Dishes.

Oh. Yes. This.

We don't have a dishwasher at the moment and that, far more than cooking, contributes to us crumbling and not cooking. We're slowly slowly getting better at keeping on top of it but it's such a CHORE.

Le Barbu

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1929 on: September 17, 2015, 01:00:25 PM »
Ever since I started doing my own car maintenance I find myself looking for more things to do and considering unnecessary early maintenance.  For example, I drive so little ill probably never get to the 110k spark plug interval so I might end up changing them early just so they don't sit there too many years (I hear they can seize... Similar mileage vs time issues with other items like tires, timing belt, fluids, etc)

Did you tried to change the brake fluid? I spent 5$ to do it myself last year and the color was disgusting, this is suposed to help the whole break system to last because of the moisture etc.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1930 on: September 17, 2015, 02:19:48 PM »

Did you tried to change the brake fluid? I spent 5$ to do it myself last year and the color was disgusting, this is suposed to help the whole break system to last because of the moisture etc.

Yeah, I flushed some in the process of doing my brakes and the fluid looked good so I just topped it off rather than going through the trouble of a full flush.  The real reason I avoided doing more is just that I'm worried more about somehow getting air in the lines.

Le Barbu

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1931 on: September 17, 2015, 02:41:20 PM »

Yeah, I flushed some in the process of doing my brakes and the fluid looked good so I just topped it off rather than going through the trouble of a full flush.  The real reason I avoided doing more is just that I'm worried more about somehow getting air in the lines.

That air thing is not a big deal when the flush is done properly. I never try to do a perfect job but more than 90% of the fluid is replaced. A small bottle is enough for a normal car so I include this in my routine every 2-3 years. The same for coolant every 5 years, I replace 3.8 liters even if the capacity is 5 liters or so. I prefer doing this than nothing!

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1932 on: September 17, 2015, 06:28:21 PM »
Never knowing whether people mean 150k or 500k when they say "mid six figures".

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1933 on: September 17, 2015, 08:15:01 PM »
Never knowing whether people mean 150k or 500k when they say "mid six figures".

I think most people mean 150k although it would technically be 500k.  I've seen a very few that obviously mean 500k.

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #1934 on: September 18, 2015, 12:35:49 AM »

- like what your avatar is doing to that car?  You may want to crack open the user's manual to make sure you're doing it right.

Le Barbu

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1935 on: September 18, 2015, 04:41:17 AM »

- like what your avatar is doing to that car?  You may want to crack open the user's manual to make sure you're doing it right.i

A fluid change I guess, but a Dragon's fluid change. Dont know if it really benefit the car at all?

jfisher3

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1936 on: September 18, 2015, 05:08:45 AM »

- like what your avatar is doing to that car?  You may want to crack open the user's manual to make sure you're doing it right.i

A fluid change I guess, but a Dragon's fluid change. Dont know if it really benefit the car at all?

That'll gum up the brake lines...

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1937 on: September 18, 2015, 10:56:44 AM »
My upstairs neighbor runs their AC a lot more than I do (granted, it's probably a couple degrees warmer upstairs).  At night when mine is off while their continues to run and run and run and build up condensation and drip down on my window ac unit with a loud pelunk that reverberates through the unit and wakes me up.  Sometimes I can ignore it.  I started sleeping facing the other direction so I my head wasn't right next to the window...  one night I was so exhausted I just couldn't handle it.  The room was cool enough, but I had to turn the ac's fan on to create enough noise and drown that pelunk out.  If I ran the ac 24/7 I'd never notice.

m8547

• Bristles
« Reply #1938 on: September 18, 2015, 09:51:49 PM »

Commercial eggs in the US* last a very long time. I've had them last months after the date on the carton (can't remember if that's sell by or use by).
*thoroughly washed and always refrigerated

You could try powdered eggs, but I'm not sure how well that works for baking. I ended up with a huge supply of high quality powdered milk (Amazon accidentally sent me a case of cans of it instead of just one), and it's actually extremely convenient because I don't use milk often enough to use it up in liquid form before it goes bad. Even with powdered milk, the best before date is only a year out, and I don't know if I'll use it all before then. I would need to use about a gallon (rehydrated) a month.

Kriegsspiel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1939 on: September 18, 2015, 09:54:28 PM »

DRAGON-CAR RAPE IS NOTHING TO JOKE ABOUT.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1940 on: September 19, 2015, 02:30:20 PM »

DRAGON-CAR RAPE IS NOTHING TO JOKE ABOUT.

A dragon fluid change adds +10 HP but increases braking distance by +5 feet

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
« Reply #1941 on: September 21, 2015, 12:36:42 PM »
After a few years shopping exclusively at thrift stores, trying to shop retail is a shock. I'm not in touch with retail prices anymore, and I find outrageous what my friends find completely reasonable.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #1942 on: September 22, 2015, 08:33:06 AM »
I struggle with whether to tell people the start dates for pensions at my current jobs (civil service + ANG) are so late in life that they're superfluous, and I'm only holding out for 20 years ANG (age 44) for the lifetime commissary privileges.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 09:02:52 AM by zephyr911 »

DINK

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1943 on: September 22, 2015, 08:57:21 AM »
I have to constantly teach people how to lock the doors on my 2000 Subaru Brighton - *push the button down, hold the handle up, close door*.

Same. I have a 2007 Toyota Corolla with manual locks (and windows!) and I always have to remind people to lock the door when they get out. I actually prefer manual locks and windows, one less thing to break! I had a friend whose automatic window broke in the down position unluckily enough on a very rainy day.

cripzychiken

• Stubble
« Reply #1944 on: September 22, 2015, 09:14:57 AM »
Shopped a 2nd hand clothes store for a friend's baby shower. Best part is with baby clothes, it's easy to find clothes with tags still on them - so people don't know I get them for $1-3 each.  Ended up spending about $15 on a handful of outfits for their soon to be addition.  Add in a few small extras bought on clearance with coupons ('BBB' baby store takes 20% off coupon for clearance!) total gift was less than $25 out of pocket.

Apparently, I 'spent' well over $100 and made the 'wealthy' grandmother's gift (2 outfits the same brand as mine, but from the actual store, no extras) look so bad that she was crying in the back room. 

So in the future, apparently my good shopping is going to make it harder for me to give gifts without insulting rich people.

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
« Reply #1945 on: September 22, 2015, 09:32:13 AM »
Shopped a 2nd hand clothes store for a friend's baby shower. Best part is with baby clothes, it's easy to find clothes with tags still on them - so people don't know I get them for $1-3 each.  Ended up spending about $15 on a handful of outfits for their soon to be addition.  Add in a few small extras bought on clearance with coupons ('BBB' baby store takes 20% off coupon for clearance!) total gift was less than $25 out of pocket.

Apparently, I 'spent' well over $100 and made the 'wealthy' grandmother's gift (2 outfits the same brand as mine, but from the actual store, no extras) look so bad that she was crying in the back room. 

So in the future, apparently my good shopping is going to make it harder for me to give gifts without insulting rich people.

Just 2 outfits? Wealthy grandma needs to step up her game.  It's not you, it's her.

cripzychiken

• Stubble
« Reply #1946 on: September 22, 2015, 10:22:53 AM »

Just 2 outfits? Wealthy grandma needs to step up her game.  It's not you, it's her.

Based on the website prices, those 2 outfits were $25 - EACH.  So... at least she tried to be spendy??

It doesn't really bug me, but it felt like the most MMM thing when I was being cheap (buying 'used' clothes with tags for a gift, shopping clearance with coupons) and still "insulted" spendypants people.

FrugalShrew

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1947 on: September 22, 2015, 11:10:32 AM »
I have to constantly teach people how to lock the doors on my 2000 Subaru Brighton - *push the button down, hold the handle up, close door*.

Same. I have a 2007 Toyota Corolla with manual locks (and windows!) and I always have to remind people to lock the door when they get out. I actually prefer manual locks and windows, one less thing to break! I had a friend whose automatic window broke in the down position unluckily enough on a very rainy day.

Ha, yes! I had this mustachian problem when I had a car, too. I loved my manual locks and windows, and DINK took the words right out of my mouth: I actually prefer manual locks and windows, one less thing to break! Manually locking the car with my key (in order to prevent you from locking your key in the car, the driver's side door would only lock from the outside) was also a much stronger habit than pushing a little button. I've been with people many times who are like, "did I lock my car?" and have to go back and check, but with my manual locks, I was more confident that I had. I feel the same way about paying my monthly bills, too. I switched back to paying them by check because writing out a check by hand helps me to remember much better that I already paid something & helps me avoid the panicked thought, "oh no, did I forget to pay that??"

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1948 on: September 22, 2015, 12:07:42 PM »
I actually prefer manual locks and windows, one less thing to break!
Supposedly electric windows are a lot more reliable than manual ones.

The window is moved at the design speed and stops at a preditacble point -instead of a handle and gears having to cope with being banged around and wrenched up/down by gorillas

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1949 on: September 22, 2015, 02:11:28 PM »
I actually prefer manual locks and windows, one less thing to break!
Supposedly electric windows are a lot more reliable than manual ones.

The window is moved at the design speed and stops at a preditacble point -instead of a handle and gears having to cope with being banged around and wrenched up/down by gorillas

I would believe it. I have seen a manual window break on a vehicle that was less than two years old.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!