Author Topic: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)  (Read 5093672 times)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
Re: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)
« Reply #1150 on: March 26, 2015, 07:59:39 PM »
http://users.humboldt.edu/afolkerts/project_folkerts.html

It's an overly simplified analysis of Ziploc bags vs. reusable sandwich bags. To compare relative environmental friendliness of products its standard to do a Life Cycle Assessment (LCA). Yay science!

If you want to get people riled up start the diaper debate.

http://www.appropedia.org/Cloth_versus_disposable_diapers
http://www.pg.com/de_DE/_pdf/LCA_Publication_Dry_Max.pdf             

Notice the water usage is higher for reusable. It's a neat comparison because most people assume that reusables are always better; except perhaps where you have water shortages.

How can reusies be "100% cotton" if they include hook and loop closures, eh?
No idea, probably some sort of conspiracy. More importantly, why would you want to put a sandwich in a bag? Subway is just around the corner; no Ziploc, no reusies and no water wasted.

Humans have this great system of storing energy.  What you do is eat a really big breakfast, and you store the energy as glycogen and fat.  Later in the day, you metabolize that glycogen and fat.  No need for sandwiches or bags.

Landlord2015

• Bristles
« Reply #1151 on: March 27, 2015, 01:09:16 PM »
I have had a valid driving license since 18 years age... but I am so greedy that I think car is not needed and have never owned a car and I am mature(30+ at least sorry I don't tell my exact age I think it is personal).

It is a small convinient annoying "problem" since every year at least once/year I do drive with car usually I lend care and then pay for the fuel etc.

In addition I am not car crazy, but I like very much the Fast and Furious movies. I have speed raced against one of my real life friends once for fun...

In my country Finland(Europe) cars and fuel are much more expensive then in USA. Car is for me luxury thing and I am not interested to own a budget car... I need money for financial freedom goal and it is not wise for me to spend on a luxury car...

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1152 on: March 27, 2015, 04:53:52 PM »

I use glass Pyrex containers mostly in the freezer. Mostly for convenience reasons (easy to plop in oven to heat up), but also for environmental reasons. A lot of waste can be created by using Ziploc bags. But for some things, such as veggie burgers or fritters, ziplocs work well.
California is in a drought, so the fewer things we have to wash, the better.

You probably use less water washing the pyrex than the manufacturing process for all the ziplock bags. 
I don't know how to determine that exactly.

If you want to add in the water use for manufacturing ziploc bags, then you have to add in the water use for manufacturing the pyrex also. That water cost should go to zero over the life of the pyrex on a per use basis, but you also have to consider that people do break the pyrex containers occasionally. The per use cost is still probably close enough to zero after taking that into account that we can still ignore it, but without knowing any of this data, we can't actually reach any conclusions.

But the notion of including the environmental cost of manufacturing something in addition to it's environmental cost is an important one. I vaguely remember a study that alleged that at the time the study was published, the then current hybrid cars were so much more environmentally costly to manufacture that you could not recoup that cost over the expected lifetime of the vehicle, meaning it was actually more environmentally friendly to just buy a gasoline powered car.
However, I can't seem to find this study. I also remember seeing a couple months later a study that contradicted these findings. It all depends on how they model this data.

There have been studies on this for solar panels too.

For cars, the big question is how you calculate emissions for the batteries. Do you see them as disposable after e.g. 5-10 years, do you think they will last longer, and do you consider after uses like energy storage in wind farms or for hybrid ships. Also, are the batteries made using energy from renewable sources, or from coal? The latest studies I've seen, based on data from a few years of real experience, are much more positive than the first calculations where they were basicly guessing.

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1153 on: March 27, 2015, 05:18:50 PM »

I use glass Pyrex containers mostly in the freezer. Mostly for convenience reasons (easy to plop in oven to heat up), but also for environmental reasons. A lot of waste can be created by using Ziploc bags. But for some things, such as veggie burgers or fritters, ziplocs work well.
California is in a drought, so the fewer things we have to wash, the better.

You probably use less water washing the pyrex than the manufacturing process for all the ziplock bags. 
I don't know how to determine that exactly.

If you want to add in the water use for manufacturing ziploc bags, then you have to add in the water use for manufacturing the pyrex also. That water cost should go to zero over the life of the pyrex on a per use basis, but you also have to consider that people do break the pyrex containers occasionally. The per use cost is still probably close enough to zero after taking that into account that we can still ignore it, but without knowing any of this data, we can't actually reach any conclusions.

But the notion of including the environmental cost of manufacturing something in addition to it's environmental cost is an important one. I vaguely remember a study that alleged that at the time the study was published, the then current hybrid cars were so much more environmentally costly to manufacture that you could not recoup that cost over the expected lifetime of the vehicle, meaning it was actually more environmentally friendly to just buy a gasoline powered car.
However, I can't seem to find this study. I also remember seeing a couple months later a study that contradicted these findings. It all depends on how they model this data.

There have been studies on this for solar panels too.

For cars, the big question is how you calculate emissions for the batteries. Do you see them as disposable after e.g. 5-10 years, do you think they will last longer, and do you consider after uses like energy storage in wind farms or for hybrid ships. Also, are the batteries made using energy from renewable sources, or from coal? The latest studies I've seen, based on data from a few years of real experience, are much more positive than the first calculations where they were basicly guessing.

NiMH and Lithium Ion batteries are recyclable and car companies will pay a bounty for their recycling.  The bounty for my car is $500.  Green technologies really are... well... green!  By the way, even if 100% of the electricity to power a world full of electric cars came entirely from coal power production (which clearly it doesn't already), there would still be fewer emissions produced than the emissions from a world full of gasoline-powered cars.  The oil companies don't want you to know that though.  Chevron even purchased and suppressed NiMH battery technology to try to prevent it from happening.

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1154 on: March 28, 2015, 03:25:43 AM »
@MoneyCat; you drive a leaf?

WynnDuffy73

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1155 on: March 28, 2015, 06:03:11 AM »
Problem: When you walk past a shop full of crap (gift shops, decor stores, etc) and think wow -- there wouldn't be a single thing in there that I would want for free! ...and then think about how sad that it's able to stay in business for so long.

Yeah that what I said about the store in the front of the Cracker Barrell restaurant.  Not a single thing I'd take from that place even it was free.  (Except for the rocking chair..lol)

The_path_less_taken

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1156 on: March 28, 2015, 09:14:50 PM »
Yesterday, boss offered to buy me a free tamale from the tamale lady and was astounded I didn't want it: I'd brought my lunch.

Today they couldn't understand why I didn't want to order Chinese food: same response

Tomorrow they'll ask me for $5 to chip in for their burger BBQ Sunday: and I'll remind them I don't eat beef.

I think some of these people spend $30 a day on office food! Why????????????????????

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1157 on: March 28, 2015, 09:16:16 PM »
Finally have a good one! 
House is so cold that my fake tempurpedic-type bed (the $300 Amazon knock off) is so cold it feels like it's brand new and rock hard. My back is loving it! 

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1158 on: March 29, 2015, 01:50:44 AM »
Had a large potluck gathering this evening and everyone left us their leftovers, knowing that we would gladly accept them and would for sure use them up. I guess our reputation precedes us! Our next few meals will include:

3/4 of a huge spiral ham
1/2 of a large ziploc of sliced turkey
8x8 pan of hash brown casserole
9x13 carrot cake
1 bag of potato chips
2 bags of cheezies
4 litres of soda

Not the healthiest fare, but we'll take it!

andystkilda

• Stubble
« Reply #1159 on: March 29, 2015, 02:12:44 AM »
When the price of gas goes up we sigh briefly before we realise we have 100 grand invested in oil ETFs, and that each permanent 1c rise in the gas pump price correlated (very) roughly to a thousand dollar gain in our ETF holdings.

Shamantha

• Stubble
« Reply #1160 on: April 09, 2015, 06:12:59 AM »
When you just can't spend your annual holiday allowance (8% of salary) on a holiday anymore, because the thought of all those green employees just bumming around on a holiday rather than work for you, is something you just can't envision.

* Shamantha spends about 20% of the holiday allowance on a holiday

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1161 on: April 09, 2015, 06:37:25 AM »
When you just can't spend your annual holiday allowance (8% of salary) on a holiday anymore, because the thought of all those green employees just bumming around on a holiday rather than work for you, is something you just can't envision.

* Shamantha spends about 20% of the holiday allowance on a holiday
LOL sounds more like slaves instead of employees ;)

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1162 on: April 09, 2015, 10:22:57 AM »
I want to remortgage my house to take advantage of the super low interest rates, but my balance is so small no place will even consider it, and for the ones that will consider it the closing fees dwarf any potential savings so I am stuck with my 5.5% mortgage until it's paid off.  (loan balance is $42k)

I also want to remortgage my wife's house but it has the same problem (5.25% on $48 loan).

So get a Home Equity Loan. You can find one at a lower rate and $0 closing costs. Use the proceeds to pay off the original mortgage.

Bankers are fucking nuts. Change the name on a loan collateralized by your house, and closing cost goes feom $3k to $0

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1163 on: April 09, 2015, 01:18:57 PM »
Bankers are fucking nuts. Change the name on a loan collateralized by your house, and closing cost goes feom $3k to $0

My ex-wife is going through this.  Not that it affects me directly, but it still upsets me.  We purchased the home with both our names on title and on the loan.  Now that we're divorced and she's taken over the home and mortgage payments, I'd like off the loan.  The bank (one of the US big 4) is going to charge her something like $750 to remove my name from the loan because they say that now she has to re-qualify for the loan.  You know, the one she already qualified for when she co-signed on it a few years ago.  This is for a home which is 80% paid off, so the remaining mortgage is only 20% of the value of the home, and is only a tiny fraction of her income.  Still: bank says she needs to re-qualify.

Makes sense, why would they let you out of your agreement to repay without evidence they will still get their money?

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1164 on: April 21, 2015, 09:49:42 AM »
Your brother-in-law calls asking to borrow high six figures because you are "more liquid" than he is and he wants to buy a new house at auction next week and there is "zero risk" because he's totally gonna pay you back and hey you could even make an easy $100,000 on the deal!

Of note: BIL bought a 4,000 square foot house last year. He lives alone in said house. He is also either currently unemployed or working five different gigs while he finds his optimal situation, I'm not sure which. He wants this new house because it's closer to the swimming pool he frequents.

He is persistent but you seem to finally get through to him by explaining that you and your husband/his brother are simple peasants who don't traffic in such "sophisticated" transactions.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 11:24:45 AM by jengod »

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1165 on: April 21, 2015, 10:47:22 AM »
Your brother-in-law calls asked to borrow high six figures because you are "more liquid" than he is and he wants to buy a new house at auction next week and there is "zero risk" because he's totally gonna pay you back and hey you could even make an easy $100,000 on the deal!

Of note: BIL bought a 4,000 square foot house last year. He lives alone in said house. He is also either currently unemployed or working five different gigs while he finds his optimal situation, I'm not sure which. He wants this new house because it's closer to the swimming pool he frequents.

He is persistent but you seem to finally get through to him by explaining that you and your husband/his brother are simple peasants who don't traffic in such "sophisticated" transactions.

Dear God. I never thought I'd be so thankful for the brothers-in-law I have, but neither of them would EVER try something like this.

Thanks for the perspective.

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1166 on: April 22, 2015, 08:10:19 PM »
I have an Amazon wishlist with over 200 items on it. Every year I go meh, I don't really need that. But I did finally buy the vitamix that I've been wanting for 5 years. My family gifted half the price.

unmetamorphosed

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1167 on: April 23, 2015, 11:15:55 AM »
I'm constantly badgered about never joining my departmental coworkers for lunch because I always bring mine.
These are same people who complain about spending way too much by going out for lunch 3-4 times a week. My favorite is when they all bring in their lunch, decide to go out somewhere anyway, and leave their brought lunches in the break room fridge! What??
Meanwhile, I've only gone out for lunch twice in the 16 months I've been here.

Also, my birthday is coming up in 2 months so I have family asking me what to get me. I'm realizing that there's actually nothing I need or even want. Recently I've been downsizing and getting rid of stuff I don't use and trying to simplify my life and belongings in the vein of minimalism and MMM's "be content with less/realize you don't actually need so much stuff" mentality.
So I will probably just get money, which I will either use as 1) a bigger contribution to my Roth IRA for this year or 2) further build up what I've been saving on the side to open a taxable investment account.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1168 on: April 23, 2015, 11:55:59 AM »
I'm constantly badgered about never joining my departmental coworkers for lunch because I always bring mine.
These are same people who complain about spending way too much by going out for lunch 3-4 times a week. My favorite is when they all bring in their lunch, decide to go out somewhere anyway, and leave their brought lunches in the break room fridge! What??

Also, my birthday is coming up in 2 months so I have family asking me what to get me. I'm realizing that there's actually nothing I need or even want. Recently I've been downsizing and getting rid of stuff I don't use and trying to simplify my life and belongings in the vein of minimalism and MMM's "be content with less/realize you don't actually need so much stuff" mentality.
So I will probably just get money, which I will either use as 1) a bigger contribution to my Roth IRA for this year or 2) further build up what I've been saving on the side to open a taxable investment account.

Ask for an outing with friends/family. Something you'll enjoy, but won't clutter up your place.

unmetamorphosed

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1169 on: April 23, 2015, 12:08:55 PM »

Ask for an outing with friends/family. Something you'll enjoy, but won't clutter up your place.

Yeah, they always take me out for a birthday dinner so that's covered.
I've always been pretty frugal for my age, so I've never enjoyed someone else practically being required to spend their money on me, haha.

dorothyc

• Stubble
« Reply #1170 on: April 23, 2015, 02:27:38 PM »
I drive a manual transmission New Beetle in Los Angeles, and a diesel to boot, so I sometimes get honked at by the person behind me when I don't pull away as fast as other vehicles at lights and hill starts. I'm thinking of getting a bumper sticker made that says "I'm not hesitating, just changing gear"

radtek2112

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1171 on: April 23, 2015, 04:16:37 PM »
My problem

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1172 on: April 24, 2015, 03:03:22 AM »
I drive a manual transmission New Beetle in Los Angeles, and a diesel to boot, so I sometimes get honked at by the person behind me when I don't pull away as fast as other vehicles at lights and hill starts. I'm thinking of getting a bumper sticker made that says "I'm not hesitating, just changing gear"

Hmmm, in Europe, where most of us drive manuals this isn't a problem. It's impossible to tell who drives which kind of transmission from how fast they set off (they only way to tell is whether they have their brake lights on to stop automatic creep on a flat road when stationary). So might this be user error? You shouldn't be sitting in neutral waiting for a green light, you should be in first, with the clutch down the second you see amber, if not before (you can easily judge where you are in a 'traffic light cycle' by paying attention, in my opinion...

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1173 on: April 24, 2015, 05:23:25 AM »

Hmmm, in Europe, where most of us drive manuals this isn't a problem. It's impossible to tell who drives which kind of transmission from how fast they set off (they only way to tell is whether they have their brake lights on to stop automatic creep on a flat road when stationary). So might this be user error? You shouldn't be sitting in neutral waiting for a green light, you should be in first, with the clutch down the second you see amber, if not before (you can easily judge where you are in a 'traffic light cycle' by paying attention, in my opinion...
Now - I mostly have my foot ont he brake in the flattest of streets, at least for shorter stops - and for longer stops (I know how long red light or train crossing) I switch off the engine. You cant judge on the light.
I also get into a higher gear very early. The motor is unbelievable inefficient in first gear. Thats why it says "the first gear is just for getting moving". If you move more then two length of your car in the first you are making something wrong.

But to the basic problem: Ignore the honking. Its the idiots fault if they cant stand half a single second to wait. They could always switch to another method of transportation if they dont like the experience of car driving.
Not other people make us angry. We decide to get angry on other people. Or not.

Ah, do you know this joke?
The shortest daily used time is the New York Second, defined as the time between the traffic light changing to green and the cab beyond you honking.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1174 on: April 24, 2015, 05:50:51 AM »
LennStar, yes I should have clarified that for shorter stops the brake lights will be on. For anything over 7 seconds, I was taught to apply the handbrake instead as it reduces the chances of you hitting the car in front, should you be hit from behind. Some lights will indeed be impossible to judge, but for most people, especially on a commute in a built-up area, lights are on a simple sequence.

I also agree the best advice is ignore the idiots. And I love the NYC joke!

dorothyc

• Stubble
« Reply #1175 on: April 24, 2015, 09:23:51 AM »

Now - I mostly have my foot ont he brake in the flattest of streets, at least for shorter stops - and for longer stops (I know how long red light or train crossing) I switch off the engine. You cant judge on the light.
I also get into a higher gear very early. The motor is unbelievable inefficient in first gear. Thats why it says "the first gear is just for getting moving". If you move more then two length of your car in the first you are making something wrong.

But to the basic problem: Ignore the honking. Its the idiots fault if they cant stand half a single second to wait. They could always switch to another method of transportation if they dont like the experience of car driving.
Not other people make us angry. We decide to get angry on other people. Or not.

Ah, do you know this joke?
The shortest daily used time is the New York Second, defined as the time between the traffic light changing to green and the cab beyond you honking.
I should clarify - I'm an expat Brit in LA, very used to driving a manual, but since my car is diesel, it doesn't have quite the pick up of other cars. I change to neutral at lights, because with the left turn filter lights at a lot of crossings, you can't tell when your turn is coming, and I would be sitting there with my left leg tensed out holding the clutch in otherwise. I don't let the honking bother me - but the funniest was recently at the roundabout in front of my gated apartment complex, I hesitated a milisecond to check I was in first gear to go through the gate that was just swinging open, and got honked at.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1176 on: April 30, 2015, 02:50:16 AM »
Mustacian problem: I cannot shut my wallet because there is so much cash in it. Seriously, it won't fold in half properly for all the money. I just keep accumulating it and not spending it. Must go to the bank or leave some at home, it's annoying!

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1177 on: April 30, 2015, 06:56:42 AM »
Mustacian problem: I cannot shut my wallet because there is so much cash in it. Seriously, it won't fold in half properly for all the money. I just keep accumulating it and not spending it. Must go to the bank or leave some at home, it's annoying!

How do you accumulate cash?

I don't think I've seen a dollar bill yet this year... I never have cash on me.

mbl

• Bristles
« Reply #1178 on: April 30, 2015, 07:19:16 AM »

Maybe you could ask for a gift card so that you can go out to lunch with your co-workers once in awhile ?

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #1179 on: April 30, 2015, 07:32:15 AM »
Rolling over my husband's 401-K because he just switched jobs, and I'm really annoyed that they are hitting us with one more fee, ugh.  They are charging a $50 "processing" fee to process the rollover. 

So happy to be done with that 401-K though, the lowest fee investment option was 1.41%!

joe travers

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1180 on: May 01, 2015, 12:20:45 AM »
I save so much money, I have to use taxable accounts.

haha, yup.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1181 on: May 01, 2015, 04:04:51 AM »

I bought some stuff for work on my credit card (for the points) and then got reimbursed in cash. A neighbour owed me some money. And then a TV crew were filming near our house and gave us cash to make up the disruption! I couldn't make it up!

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1182 on: May 01, 2015, 10:27:47 AM »

I bought some stuff for work on my credit card (for the points) and then got reimbursed in cash. A neighbour owed me some money. And then a TV crew were filming near our house and gave us cash to make up the disruption! I couldn't make it up!

I love having this problem. :)

In the old days I used to have to go to the bank machine to take out a couple hundred every two months or so for cash only and convenience things. Now, since I've been selling so many handmade things and stuff from decluttering I have to go to the bank every month or so to deposit a few hundred instead.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1183 on: May 02, 2015, 12:29:05 PM »
Here is a big problem:

I've got a pretty well stocked freezer full of good food and now it seems like my refrigerator and freezer have stopped cooling. Now all of that food (the effort required to make it and the money paid for them) may have been wasted.

I'm waiting for the refrigerator repairman, but I think my food will have to be thrown away. :-(

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1184 on: May 02, 2015, 12:39:41 PM »
Here is a big problem:

I've got a pretty well stocked freezer full of good food and now it seems like my refrigerator and freezer have stopped cooling. Now all of that food (the effort required to make it and the money paid for them) may have been wasted.

I'm waiting for the refrigerator repairman, but I think my food will have to be thrown away. :-(

I'm sorry to hear this.
Is it already unfrozen? If not, it's fine. Move it to a cooler, pack blankets around it, go and buy some ice to add.

In the future, I believe there are temperature probes that will alarm. This is a very good idea if you have a chest or upright freezer with a lot of meat, etc, stored in them.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1185 on: May 02, 2015, 12:49:00 PM »
Here is a big problem:

I'm sorry to hear this.
Is it already unfrozen? If not, it's fine. Move it to a cooler, pack blankets around it, go and buy some ice to add.

In the future, I believe there are temperature probes that will alarm. This is a very good idea if you have a chest or upright freezer with a lot of meat, etc, stored in them.

Well the stuff in the freezer seems to have softened and may be refrigerator temperature now. I may be able to salvage it by putting some in a relative's freezer...have to find out if they have freezer space for my stuff.

Considering it's Saturday, I'm not sure a cooler full of ice will last long enough for the repairman to call me. I'm guessing at this point he can't come until Monday.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1186 on: May 02, 2015, 01:01:08 PM »
Extension service to the rescue: http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/foodnut/09357.html

That way it's not some random internet schmo's opinion. =D

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1187 on: May 02, 2015, 01:07:36 PM »
Extension service to the rescue: http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/foodnut/09357.html

That way it's not some random internet schmo's opinion. =D

Thanks! I'm off to my parents' house to stuff their freezer with my stuff. I'll report on the refrigerator/freezer status once it's resolved.

I noticed it last night when I got home. I assumed the power had gone out during the day. But then it continued today. The lights work, so I think there is a malfunction somewhere.

KMMK

• Handlebar Stache
    • Meena Kestirke Insurance
« Reply #1188 on: May 02, 2015, 01:08:17 PM »
Here is a big problem:

Sometimes food is covered under a homeowner's insurance policy, at least in Canada. Of course if there's a deductible, or if you lose your claims-free status it's not likely worth it, but something to check.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1189 on: May 02, 2015, 02:00:46 PM »
Here is a big problem:

I'm sorry to hear this.

Well the stuff in the freezer seems to have softened and may be refrigerator temperature now. I may be able to salvage it by putting some in a relative's freezer...have to find out if they have freezer space for my stuff.

Considering it's Saturday, I'm not sure a cooler full of ice will last long enough for the repairman to call me. I'm guessing at this point he can't come until Monday.

This is when you break out the grill and throw a block party.  The neighborhood good will will far outweigh the lost food value.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1190 on: May 02, 2015, 06:09:05 PM »
Here is a big problem:

I'm sorry to hear this.

This is when you break out the grill and throw a block party.  The neighborhood good will will far outweigh the lost food value.

You can also cook it and re-freeze in cooked portions. Or turn it into prepped food and re-freeze or can it =)  Good luck!

(I like the block party idea though, especially if you're having unseasonably nice weather like we are here!)

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1191 on: May 02, 2015, 09:10:38 PM »
Here is a big problem:

I'm sorry to hear this.

You can also cook it and re-freeze in cooked portions. Or turn it into prepped food and re-freeze or can it =)  Good luck!

(I like the block party idea though, especially if you're having unseasonably nice weather like we are here!)
PARTY ON WAYNE!

purple monkey

• Bristles
« Reply #1192 on: May 02, 2015, 09:13:02 PM »
I take dates out in a 23 year old truck with 508,000 miles on it

Wow! Wow!

Wow!

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1193 on: May 02, 2015, 09:57:22 PM »
Here is a big problem:

I'm sorry to hear this.

PARTY ON WAYNE!

Lots of good ideas.

I did have a big grill-out once after a hurricane that left me without electricity for about 10 days. I cooked up a bunch of stuff and shared with the neighbors. Then, I went to my boyfriend's house as his place got electricity back immediately.

As far as today's incident, I had way too much food to have a cookout. And I thought of cooking some stuff but then there was no freezer to refreeze it. My plan on Saturday was actually to use a pork stock from the freezer and make a new recipe to me - hot and sour soup. I had bought all of the other ingredients for it already and was planning to make a big batch and freeze the leftovers...because I'm a batch-cook and freeze kind of girl. Oh well, the best laid plans often go awry (or something like that).

Also, I have a really busy Sunday so I just wanted to take care of the issue ASAP.

I was able to salvage most of the food by bringing it over to my parents' house. Plus, they got an unexpected visit and I scored some brownie points.

Repairman is coming on Monday and I get to go back home. :-)

Arktinkerer

• Bristles
« Reply #1194 on: May 03, 2015, 09:38:33 AM »
Probably too late for your frozen goods now but the usual solution to this is not ice but dry ice.  Groceries sell it here.  A few pounds will keep a freezer over a weekend if you keep it shut.   Same for your fridge but assume you will be opening and closing the door a bit.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1195 on: May 03, 2015, 09:45:42 AM »
be careful with dry ice. It is, afer all, sorty-of poison.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1196 on: May 03, 2015, 10:31:30 AM »

I think you are thinking of carbon MONOxide, not carbon DIoxide. Different beasts =)

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1197 on: May 04, 2015, 01:12:13 AM »

I think you are thinking of carbon MONOxide, not carbon DIoxide. Different beasts =)
Ever tried to breath in a room full of only carbon dioxide? ;)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1198 on: May 04, 2015, 06:57:14 AM »

Ever tried to breath in a room full of only carbon dioxide? ;)

That doesn't make it poison though. Just don't put dry ice in a bag and seal it around your head. Also, just don't seal a bag around your head. Doesn't make the bag poison, just makes you a darwin award recipient.

NICE!

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1199 on: May 04, 2015, 07:10:29 AM »
One of my buddies constantly questions me on basically every purchase that I don't make right now. Any time I question the utility of something, say it isn't in the budget, or whatever, I am viewed like a miser. It is very perplexing to me because we spend a metric shitton on travel. We just don't buy a lot of things/gadgets/whatever. We also have exponentially more saved. One time he asked me how much I had saved and I told him (this was 5 years ago when I had ~1/6th of the stash we have now), but it seemed like him gaining the information didn't actually help the situation, it just made him more apt to question my decisions.

For example, we were recently discussing the possibility of DW and I moving back to a large city in the next half-decade and I mentioned how I'm excited to do it so we can ditch the car. He said 'wait till you have kids,' you'll change your mind. I said, 'no, we won't. We'll be in the city. Everything is accessible by public transit, walking, biking, uber, buses, or taxis.' He said just wait till you have a sick kid at 2 am and you can't drive to the hospital in your car. I told him a once-in-a-blue moon occurence does not necessitate the purchase of a car.

It is even more confusing to me because they care about things like the environment, yet waste far more than me. They care about poor workers in other countries, yet buy way more e-things and crap than I do (ex: they upgrade their iphones every time). And finally, they care about politics and the plight of others, yet don't give any time or money (I don't want to get into a debate about charity again, I'm making a point here).

Once or twice I've expressed my thoughts in less than ideal ways, but I generally steer clear of discussing this. He's almost always the one that brings it up and his wife sometimes jumps in on the conversation, too.

Any ideas about what is going on here? Is this me inadvertently drawing attention to his situation?