Author Topic: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)  (Read 5086709 times)

DeepEllumStache

• Magnum Stache
  • I came, I saw, I made it awkward
Re: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)
« Reply #750 on: November 08, 2014, 04:18:54 PM »
They don't carry the more basic stuff?  I bought a year's worth of toilet paper off the American site.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #751 on: November 09, 2014, 06:30:40 AM »
Nope. And they won't ship to Canada either, they just refer you to the Canadian web page.  Which does not carry the whatever, which is why you were on the American site in the first place!

So we get it sent to friends in the US, or those near the border get a US mailing address.

They don't carry the more basic stuff?  I bought a year's worth of toilet paper off the American site.

jordanread

« Reply #752 on: November 09, 2014, 10:43:08 AM »
You could buy yourself an Amazon gift certificate for the balance. Then you have plenty of time to spend it on whatever you normally would buy. :)

Thanks Nora! I'll hang onto that as a backup idea. Amazon (Canada) seems to specialize in books, CDs, DVDs, and consumer electronics, stuff I rarely buy. But maybe I could get Christmas presents. Or I'll join the 21st century! :-)
There are a few types of gift cards that you can deposit back in your bank account. I don't know that it's worth it for the amounts you are talking about, but we just wound up in credit card hacking for frugal people 101.

Heather in Ottawa

• Stubble
« Reply #753 on: November 16, 2014, 05:45:16 AM »
I've never been able to set up a Questrade account using "e-Signatures" (on my 6th account now between myself and husband). The ID verification questions are all "which of these four banks is your car loan with", and "which of these four gas cards do you hold", and "what range do your student loan payments fall into", and I'm all "none of the above, none of the above". ...

Result: "Something went wrong, we could not verify your identity, please download these documents, print, and sign"

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #754 on: November 16, 2014, 12:47:01 PM »
I've never been able to set up a Questrade account using "e-Signatures" (on my 6th account now between myself and husband). The ID verification questions are all "which of these four banks is your car loan with", and "which of these four gas cards do you hold", and "what range do your student loan payments fall into", and I'm all "none of the above, none of the above". ...

Result: "Something went wrong, we could not verify your identity, please download these documents, print, and sign"

In that case, you should really check your credit report.  Someone may have opened one of those accounts in your name.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #755 on: November 16, 2014, 01:00:18 PM »

In that case, you should really check your credit report.  Someone may have opened one of those accounts in your name.

This also happens if you have zero credit in past several years...  Eg are new to the country.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #756 on: November 16, 2014, 01:50:23 PM »
I filled out my deposit slip to put the $400 in my purse into the bank. I had put that $400 into a side zippered compartment in my purse and had forgotten all about it. When I pulled out the $400, it was actually $700 that I had forgotten I had. So I had to tear up the deposit slip and fill out another one. Grrrrrrr.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #757 on: November 17, 2014, 06:24:44 AM »
You stop by Grocery Outlet while on a bike ride just to see if they have any thing good only to discover they have a tremendous deal on Quaker Chewy Granola bars.  With only a back pack and panniers you can only buy two cases.  This happened to me yesterday. 

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #758 on: November 20, 2014, 08:36:54 PM »
You drive so infrequently that you forget some of the little things about driving. Like how twice in the past month, you try to turn your car off while it's still in drive. Thankfully your car prevents this from happening.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #759 on: November 21, 2014, 12:10:20 AM »
You drive so infrequently that you forget some of the little things about driving. Like how twice in the past month, you try to turn your car off while it's still in drive. Thankfully your car prevents this from happening.

My car lets me do this.  It must be a dumb car.  What's the downside?  I'm guessing increased work for the starter motor?

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #760 on: November 21, 2014, 12:18:33 AM »

My car lets me do this.  It must be a dumb car.  What's the downside?  I'm guessing increased work for the starter motor?
I had heard a while back that this can actually damage your car.
According to http://www.dallasnews.com/business/columnists/car-talk/20131018-not-putting-car-in-park-might-not-be-harmful-but-is-a-bad-habit.ece, that's not true, but there are other reasons not to do this. Such as your car can roll away.

Regardless of whether that article is right or not....turning your car off in drive may not be bad for it, but it certainly isn't good for it.

jordanread

« Reply #761 on: November 21, 2014, 06:23:11 AM »

According to http://www.dallasnews.com/business/columnists/car-talk/20131018-not-putting-car-in-park-might-not-be-harmful-but-is-a-bad-habit.ece, that's not true, but there are other reasons not to do this. Such as your car can roll away.

Regardless of whether that article is right or not....turning your car off in drive may not be bad for it, but it certainly isn't good for it.

Drive...I haven't had a car with that option in years. Just move the stick to the middle and turn on the e-brake.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #762 on: November 21, 2014, 06:28:10 AM »

Drive...I haven't had a car with that option in years. Just move the stick to the middle and turn on the e-brake.
Ah well for a manual, it should be fine - I mean, when you can push start a manual while in gear, I'd think it'd be fine to turn your car off while still in gear.

Incidentally, I've been meaning to learn how to drive a manual...haven't gotten around to it.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #763 on: November 21, 2014, 07:32:36 AM »

My last automatic would let me turn it off in drive, but not remove the key. I'm sure it's just a safety measure to keep the car from rolling away
I do that at least 30% of the time when I drive our automatic car, and then I get mad at the car for not letting me remove the key before I realize my error.  Our other car is a standard and that's what I drive 95% of the time, so driving automatic can be disorienting for me.  I don't like it.

DeepEllumStache

• Magnum Stache
  • I came, I saw, I made it awkward
« Reply #764 on: November 21, 2014, 07:52:17 AM »
I do that at least 30% of the time when I drive our automatic car, and then I get mad at the car for not letting me remove the key before I realize my error.  Our other car is a standard and that's what I drive 95% of the time, so driving automatic can be disorienting for me.  I don't like it.

Yes... and since everyone else I know drives automatic, no one understands why I dislike automatics so much.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #765 on: November 21, 2014, 09:38:23 AM »

Yes... and since everyone else I know drives automatic, no one understands why I dislike automatics so much.
Reaching for the non-existent clutch and instead slamming my left foot on the oversized brake pedal while doing 30mph is also a fun trick.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #766 on: November 21, 2014, 09:44:22 AM »

Reaching for the non-existent clutch and instead slamming my left foot on the oversized brake pedal while doing 30mph is also a fun trick.
Huh. Is the brake in an automatic really that much bigger than that in an automatic? [EDIT: brainfart, a manual. But I think you guys got that]
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 09:58:18 AM by johnny847 »

jordanread

« Reply #767 on: November 21, 2014, 09:53:47 AM »

Huh. Is the brake in an automatic really that much bigger than that in an automatic?

Depends on the model. I remember specifically some of the bigger old sedans have the elongated rectangle that reaches to where the clutch would be. I've eaten an embarrassing amount of steering wheel due to that fun fact.

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
« Reply #768 on: November 21, 2014, 01:48:14 PM »
Depends on the model. I remember specifically some of the bigger old sedans have the elongated rectangle that reaches to where the clutch would be. I've eaten an embarrassing amount of steering wheel due to that fun fact.

Done that a few times myself, hate to admit it.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #769 on: November 27, 2014, 08:51:38 AM »
A new Mustachian Problem for me this week: my husband and I both purchase things for our employers on our credit cards (yay, points!). Sometimes we get reimbursed straight into our bank account, often we get reimbursed in cash.

Since we rarely spend cash (because we don't buy lunches, coffee, magazines etc, and any other purchases are made on our cards for points) it has been accumulating. I totalled up all the cash in our house and wallets yesterday. Over £1000.

Now, I'm going to have to go to the bank to pay it in, because even if we treated this stash as our 'ATM' it would last until... 2016? So much cash! What a pain!

Annie-Blake

« Reply #770 on: December 02, 2014, 10:56:33 PM »
-Having absolutely no one to talk about the MMM lifestyle (excpet on line here)..when it is such a big part of our life

-not being able to talk; without gloating, about our financial situation.  If I tell people what we do with our money and what we own I am automatically labelled as gloating.  Therefore, I don't tell a soul.  and the reason I do want to tell people is to open the dialogue for inspiration and ideas..I'm always looking for more ways to save or do things differently if there's a better way. 

-people whinging, constantly (i.e. everytime I see them) about their financial situation - when I have never spoken about mine to them.  I so wish I could say "well stop getting new cars all the time on lease and being riduculously stupid with your money!".

-spending way less on presents and everyone else spends way more. it makes me feel cheap, but we have always given cheaper presents (i just shop sales, and make sure I always buy quality goods).  I just don't spend $300 per person (around $25 p/p i spend) like some family members do. it justs makes me feel really uncomfortable when we all sit around the tree at christmas.  why do they have to keep spending so much on us?? i wish we could do no presents..or kids only presents

-getting so many comments for having an 'old' phone with no colour screen and buttons (0-9) until last yr when my friend gave me her Samsung Galaxy when she upgraded hers.  one person said to me 'wow, it's so good you can handle having such a crap phone!!!'.  phones don't rate at all to me. i only have one to keep in contact with my husband who works 24/7 and to use in case of emergency (i have a baby..so peace of mind).  other than that, people know if they text me it will take a few days for me to reply.  i just can't be bothered with phones really. and i don't know how to work the samsung.  phones are a status symbol for all my friends and i just don't really care.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #771 on: December 03, 2014, 05:37:25 AM »
Having an xmas budget and having people in the family give disapproving looks when you decide to get your niece and nephew each a $20 gift card to Disney where they will be in a month instead of spending $150 on 2 soccer goals for them. SIL acts like they are the only people we have to shop for!

jordanread

« Reply #772 on: December 03, 2014, 06:10:44 AM »
Having an xmas budget and having people in the family give disapproving looks when you decide to get your niece and nephew each a $20 gift card to Disney where they will be in a month instead of spending $150 on 2 soccer goals for them. SIL acts like they are the only people we have to shop for!

I've always found that disapproving looks are a great way to get poorly homemade cards from me. :-)

prudence

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #773 on: December 03, 2014, 07:18:59 AM »
When you have to dig out and blow the dust off your credit card for an online purchase.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #774 on: December 03, 2014, 07:20:50 AM »
When you have to dig out and blow the dust off your credit card for an online purchase.
Most websites will remember your credit card information for you =P

Timmmy

• Bristles
« Reply #775 on: December 03, 2014, 10:43:08 AM »
Resisting the urge to explain to everyone that when I opt not to buy something it's not because I can't afford it.  Example responses being "well, when you save up the cash you can buy it" or "maybe after next payday".  Like the only reason to not buy something is because you can't afford it. 

Le Barbu

• Handlebar Stache
  • I really didn’t say everything I said - Y. B.
« Reply #776 on: December 03, 2014, 12:05:40 PM »
Resisting the urge to explain to everyone that when I opt not to buy something it's not because I can't afford it.  Example responses being "well, when you save up the cash you can buy it" or "maybe after next payday".  Like the only reason to not buy something is because you can't afford it.

And while they talk about those purchases, you know that the only one person that realy could afford those expenses is YOU.

Cinder

• Bristles
« Reply #777 on: December 03, 2014, 02:05:30 PM »
Most websites will remember your credit card information for you =P

I logged onto a site I hadn't been on in 4 years, and it remembered my card... wasn't valid, but I could have tried to use it!

halftimer

• Stubble
« Reply #778 on: December 03, 2014, 04:23:28 PM »
Moving our pension at the bank and having the customer rep be completely surprised that you know exactly how you want to allocate it. "Oh, you know the index ticker symbols? You are the first client in 15 years who came in with that information!" Took him a while to change gears from selling us a high expense fund to just entering the info as we told it to him. Then he again seemed shocked that the final screen verified that the portfolio matched our investment style.

homehandymum

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #779 on: December 03, 2014, 04:54:35 PM »
I downloaded a budget tracking app last night for my phone, and loaded in November's expenses.

Now I want to keep playing with it.  But of course, I haven't spent anything today...

Wolf_Stache

• Pencil Stache
    • Flower's Fang
« Reply #780 on: December 03, 2014, 05:30:04 PM »
I downloaded a budget tracking app last night for my phone, and loaded in November's expenses.

Now I want to keep playing with it.  But of course, I haven't spent anything today...

I tried to download a budget app lately... but my phone was too old to run the app!

Breaker

• Stubble
« Reply #781 on: December 03, 2014, 06:17:21 PM »
HomeHandymum,  What app?  Maybe I can get it on my laptop. 

Timmy, Tell them it's because you don't WANT or NEED it.

homehandymum

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #782 on: December 03, 2014, 07:28:44 PM »
HomeHandymum,  What app?  Maybe I can get it on my laptop. 

I am trying out Money Wise.  It's an android phone, and app is available via google play.
I would really love to try Mint, but it is not supported by NZ banks, so there's no point.

Breaker

• Stubble
« Reply #783 on: December 03, 2014, 07:38:23 PM »
Thanks Homehandymum.  I'll check it out.

iwasjustwondering

• Bristles
« Reply #784 on: December 03, 2014, 08:34:02 PM »
When you get emails from Ann Taylor and Lord and Taylor (it's always the Taylor), saying, "We miss you!"   :)

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #785 on: December 04, 2014, 06:12:48 AM »
Yes, I just had an Amazon 'we miss you' email, offering £10 off when I spend £50. I have got something lined up for my nieces Christmas present. It's £30. I literally cannot find a single other thing I want or need, to spend the £20 (that would only cost me £10). Everything I've thought of isn't dispatched by Amazon, and it has to come from them to qualify. Ugh!

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #786 on: December 04, 2014, 06:17:48 AM »
Yes, I just had an Amazon 'we miss you' email, offering £10 off when I spend £50. I have got something lined up for my nieces Christmas present. It's £30. I literally cannot find a single other thing I want or need, to spend the £20 (that would only cost me £10). Everything I've thought of isn't dispatched by Amazon, and it has to come from them to qualify. Ugh!
I'd imagine this won't work, but have you checked the terms and conditions to see if gift cards qualify?

Does a friend or family member need something ordered off Amazon soon?

Timmmy

• Bristles
« Reply #787 on: December 04, 2014, 07:45:23 AM »
Timmy, Tell them it's because you don't WANT or NEED it.

That's the thing though.  There are things that I want/need that I still won't buy.  Sometimes I just like to push my tolerance for delayed pleasure.  Sometimes I like to stretch the useful life of things that really need to be replaced.  Sometimes I like to endure a little suffering to realize just how cushy and lovely my life really is on a day-to-day basis.  Try explaining that you are voluntarily suffering to anyone and they will look at you like you have grown a 2nd head. 

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #788 on: December 04, 2014, 08:15:53 AM »
I'd imagine this won't work, but have you checked the terms and conditions to see if gift cards qualify?

Buy something that you can return to a Walmart or grocery store.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #789 on: December 04, 2014, 11:31:24 AM »
Have you considered book?
There are always useful books. Someone likely to need something in school?
Or think about donating a book. I dont know how it is in your country, but perhaps you can donate books and get a tax bonus on that.
Or you can always present someone a Terry Pratchett :D

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #790 on: December 04, 2014, 12:26:12 PM »

Buy something that you can return to a Walmart or grocery store.
Or buy something you normally buy a grocery store.  I buy food and lotion on amazon.

iwasjustwondering

• Bristles
« Reply #791 on: December 04, 2014, 01:18:21 PM »
Having a teenager who has absorbed the mustachian lifestyle almost too much.  I was going to buy him an electric shaver on amazon.com, and he looked at the screen from across the room and came running over to tell me to stop.  "I told you I don't need anything.  Don't buy me presents." 

I know he's going to want a present or two to open on Christmas Day, but other than a couple of books and a goat from Heifer International, that's it.  He doesn't even wear long-sleeved shirts, just a t-shirt and a hand-me-down Spyder ski jacket he has had for two years.  I will probably get him a jokey t-shirt, too, now that I think of it. 

My other kid has made a long list, starting with a PS 4.  Yeah, no. 

This_Is_My_Username

• Bristles
« Reply #792 on: December 04, 2014, 06:59:07 PM »
an actual, real-live, goat?

Mesmoiselle

• Bristles
« Reply #793 on: December 04, 2014, 07:25:50 PM »
Like a couple of the people mentioned here, I also bought a house too cheap to file a deduction on the interest.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
Re: .
« Reply #794 on: December 04, 2014, 08:19:22 PM »
an actual, real-live, goat?

Yes, but not for the teenager.

Heifer is a charitable organization where people can make donations that are used to buy useful things for people in poverty.  In the case of goats, they can provide milk.  You can also buy chickens (eggs), oxen (plowing), etc.  The intent is to make a sustainable difference in people's lives:

http://www.heifer.org/gift-catalog/animals-nutrition/index.html

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #795 on: December 04, 2014, 08:52:53 PM »
Heifer is bullshit.

Annie-Blake

« Reply #796 on: December 04, 2014, 11:18:32 PM »

wow, that's rude! i think a $20 gift card to Disney is a fantastic present.  Seems like SIL is ungrateful that you gave a thoughtful gift to her children.  and since when has present giving been about the value anyway?! it's the thought that counts.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #797 on: December 05, 2014, 03:36:30 AM »
Heifer is bullshit.
I am astounded, Sir, by your elaborate and eloquent argument.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #798 on: December 05, 2014, 03:45:10 AM »
Took out too many books from the library -- everything I'd ordered from inter-library loan came in the same week.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #799 on: December 05, 2014, 05:32:26 AM »
That is when you walk into the library with two book bags to take home all your loot  ;-).  My library is used to me walking in with 7 books to return and 10 to go - in fact when they had a week counting use, they were extra glad to see me.

One of the joys of retirement, I can actually read books as much as I want - and I want to read lots, on lots of different topics.

Took out too many books from the library -- everything I'd ordered from inter-library loan came in the same week.