Author Topic: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)  (Read 5094286 times)

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)
« Reply #5200 on: May 17, 2018, 05:06:15 PM »
My new-ish canning book has barbecue sauce recipes that start with tomatoes, also several ketchup recipes. I have made mayonnaise before but not relish or tartar sauce. I want to try it now.

Ooooh, I made tartar sauce once, while in a country where tartar sauce was either insanely expensive or unavailable, and the ingredients to make it were easy to find and regular price. It was DELICIOUS. Now my mouth is watering...

CptCool

• Bristles
« Reply #5201 on: May 17, 2018, 06:47:54 PM »
My new-ish canning book has barbecue sauce recipes that start with tomatoes, also several ketchup recipes. I have made mayonnaise before but not relish or tartar sauce. I want to try it now.

Ooooh, I made tartar sauce once, while in a country where tartar sauce was either insanely expensive or unavailable, and the ingredients to make it were easy to find and regular price. It was DELICIOUS. Now my mouth is watering...

Any chance you remember the recipe?

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5202 on: May 17, 2018, 10:23:37 PM »

Any chance you remember the recipe?

I don't remember exactly, and we modified it a bunch based on ingredients we already had (lime juice instead of lemon for example). Mostly it was mayo, chopped pickled, salt, pepper, and maybe some other herbs. I remember it being incredibly simple.

Also, the sauce was good, but it was eaten with Mahi mahi we caught that afternoon so I'm sure the delicious fish helped too. :p

barbaz

• Stubble
« Reply #5203 on: May 18, 2018, 12:24:58 AM »
Could have taken time off in April but waited until May. Why? salary increases went into effect May 1st. I get paid old PTO at new rate.
But did this actually make a difference in total amount of money received?

Cali

• Stubble
« Reply #5204 on: May 18, 2018, 12:29:25 AM »
Could have taken time off in April but waited until May. Why? salary increases went into effect May 1st. I get paid old PTO at new rate.

It’s minimal but it’s the principle of the thing. lol.

jlcnuke

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5205 on: May 18, 2018, 05:54:55 AM »
I can't use some retirement calculators (like Smart Asset's) because they won't let me put that high of a savings rate...

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5206 on: May 18, 2018, 07:52:07 AM »
I had an interview with a recruiter today and it's always a struggle how to justify wanting to work parttime at a young age (27).  I started working at 19 and haven't worked fulltime after the age of 22. At my age you're supposed to be desperate to work as much as possible to progress in your career, pay off all your debts and buy a lot of stuff. 

If you say you don't want to work fulltime, you sound spoilt and unambitious.
If you say you don't need to work fulltime, you sound a bit smug, unambitious and living off family / husband's money.

I am actually quite ambitious, but I've noticed quantity and quality of work do not improve if you work more hours. I'm much more interested in specializing in my field rather than going into sales or management or general consultancy, even if those are more "desirable" and well paid.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5207 on: May 18, 2018, 08:46:03 AM »
I had an interview with a recruiter today and it's always a struggle how to justify wanting to work parttime at a young age (27).  I started working at 19 and haven't worked fulltime after the age of 22. At my age you're supposed to be desperate to work as much as possible to progress in your career, pay off all your debts and buy a lot of stuff. 

If you say you don't want to work fulltime, you sound spoilt and unambitious.
If you say you don't need to work fulltime, you sound a bit smug, unambitious and living off family / husband's money.

I am actually quite ambitious, but I've noticed quantity and quality of work do not improve if you work more hours. I'm much more interested in specializing in my field rather than going into sales or management or general consultancy, even if those are more "desirable" and well paid.

I find "filling the time" explanations work really well. I help out with my husband's business! I have [volunteer role] at [charitable organization]. It explains how I fill my time otherwise, and makes it seems less weird to people. =)

But yeah, there with you on this one!

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5208 on: May 18, 2018, 08:57:53 AM »

I think his point is that even though you got paid out PTO at a higher rate, the flip side is that you chose to work an equivalent amount of time at a lower rate.  If you work 40 hr, and get 40 hr PTO, does it really matter which is at a higher rate?  It should add up to the same in the end either way.

Cali

• Stubble
« Reply #5209 on: May 19, 2018, 10:18:37 PM »

I think his point is that even though you got paid out PTO at a higher rate, the flip side is that you chose to work an equivalent amount of time at a lower rate.  If you work 40 hr, and get 40 hr PTO, does it really matter which is at a higher rate?  It should add up to the same in the end either way.

Oops! I just realized I said PTO. Anniversary bonus days. Not related to PTO.

APowers

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5210 on: May 20, 2018, 06:32:50 AM »
When watching "life hack" videos using things that "everyone has at home" they often use stuff I actually don't have at home :(

When I look up recipes for “bbq sauce from scratch” and the first ingredient is ketchup.... :(

The ketchup thing REALLY bothers me. I mean, if I wanted to use a pre-made sauce, I'd just buy BBQ sauce in a bottle. But clearly I don't, which is why I'm looking for recipes. I still have yet to find a recipe that doesn't start with ketchup (though, to be honest, I haven't bothered in a long while).
You could make the ketchup yourself

You can, but it bothers me that ketchup is considered a scratch ingredient.  Like when people buy a box of cake mix and apply a can of frosting.  It's more effort than just buying a cake, but is it really from scratch?

I make my own tartar sauce by blending mayo with a small amount of relish.

-- the relish is home made, but the mayo is store bought -- no sense making mayo from scratch --   Is that homemade or not?  HMMM.

--- I just looked up barbeque sauce recipes, and you are right, which is crazy because I have three cookbooks with barbeque sauce recipes in them and less than 40% of the recipes include ketchup (but one does use tomatoe soup. ick).  Most tomato based ones do start with tomato paste... is that ok? - and the 1977 canning book does use actual tomatoes for bbq sauce.

I've tried making mayo at home, and it was a disaster. Supposedly it's relatively easy, but not for me, apparently.

I'm much more okay with tomato paste, because it's a single ingredient/flavour, so I can have a good idea how to substitute for it if need be. Ketchup is a whole recipe unto itself, with a non-standard combination of tomato/vinegar/spices that I don't know how to re-create if I want to build all those flavours into my bbq sauce.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5211 on: May 20, 2018, 02:39:35 PM »
We've been waiting for dishwasher detergent to go on sale, checking every week when we go shopping. Well it finally went on sale this week but they were out of stock...

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #5212 on: May 20, 2018, 03:54:50 PM »
When watching "life hack" videos using things that "everyone has at home" they often use stuff I actually don't have at home :(

When I look up recipes for “bbq sauce from scratch” and the first ingredient is ketchup.... :(

The ketchup thing REALLY bothers me. I mean, if I wanted to use a pre-made sauce, I'd just buy BBQ sauce in a bottle. But clearly I don't, which is why I'm looking for recipes. I still have yet to find a recipe that doesn't start with ketchup (though, to be honest, I haven't bothered in a long while).

You can, but it bothers me that ketchup is considered a scratch ingredient.  Like when people buy a box of cake mix and apply a can of frosting.  It's more effort than just buying a cake, but is it really from scratch?

-- the relish is home made, but the mayo is store bought -- no sense making mayo from scratch --   Is that homemade or not?  HMMM.

--- I just looked up barbeque sauce recipes, and you are right, which is crazy because I have three cookbooks with barbeque sauce recipes in them and less than 40% of the recipes include ketchup (but one does use tomatoe soup. ick).  Most tomato based ones do start with tomato paste... is that ok? - and the 1977 canning book does use actual tomatoes for bbq sauce.

I've tried making mayo at home, and it was a disaster. Supposedly it's relatively easy, but not for me, apparently.

I'm much more okay with tomato paste, because it's a single ingredient/flavour, so I can have a good idea how to substitute for it if need be. Ketchup is a whole recipe unto itself, with a non-standard combination of tomato/vinegar/spices that I don't know how to re-create if I want to build all those flavours into my bbq sauce.

Yeah, I'm not as big a purist as I may have implied.  I don't make my own mayo, either.  It's just that I was specifically looking for recipes "from scratch" that don't include ketchup, because we don't keep it around the house, and if I was going to go buy ketchup I might as well just buy BBQ sauce.  We do have tomato paste, since that's a single, partially processed, ingredient. 

I know you can make ketchup, too, which I may do someday if I really really want it.  The only thing I put it on is burgers, though, so I think I could get away with a poor-man's special sauce using tomato paste, mayo, vinegar, sugar, and maybe even some Dijon (which I also don't make from scratch).
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 03:56:44 PM by dragoncar »

Chadbert

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5213 on: May 20, 2018, 08:35:16 PM »

Yeah, I'm not as big a purist as I may have implied.  I don't make my own mayo, either.  It's just that I was specifically looking for recipes "from scratch" that don't include ketchup, because we don't keep it around the house, and if I was going to go buy ketchup I might as well just buy BBQ sauce.  We do have tomato paste, since that's a single, partially processed, ingredient. 

I know you can make ketchup, too, which I may do someday if I really really want it.  The only thing I put it on is burgers, though, so I think I could get away with a poor-man's special sauce using tomato paste, mayo, vinegar, sugar, and maybe even some Dijon (which I also don't make from scratch).
We make a really good bbq sauce from scratch, no ketchup required. I googled “naturally sweetened bbq sauce” as my wife doesn’t eat processed sugar. Lots of no ketchup recipes that way

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5214 on: May 21, 2018, 09:32:29 AM »
Getting out of the BBQ sauce foam....

My MPP for the day is:   DD (age 4) threw a tantrum today because she wanted to get home by walking --> subway --> subway (line change) --> bus --> walking, and Did Not Want to Take a Taxi...in the rain...during rush hour. Entire taxi ride consisted of her screaming, "I don't! I don't! I don't!...I don't want to take a taxi! I don't!"

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5215 on: May 21, 2018, 09:48:41 AM »
Getting out of the BBQ sauce foam....

My MPP for the day is:   DD (age 4) threw a tantrum today because she wanted to get home by walking --> subway --> subway (line change) --> bus --> walking, and Did Not Want to Take a Taxi...in the rain...during rush hour. Entire taxi ride consisted of her screaming, "I don't! I don't! I don't!...I don't want to take a taxi! I don't!"

OMG. This is why I don't have children. I'd probably strangle the kid.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5216 on: May 21, 2018, 10:35:34 AM »

Isn't that an anti-MPP since you paid for a taxi instead of spending two hours in the rain on some byzantine public transit journey to save $3? ;-) 

On the flip side, my local subway wasn't running uptown all weekend, so I took the bus through Manhattan for 60 blocks and ended up in a vehicle with no less than 5 children between about 1-3 years of age, ranging from "random baby shrieking" to "incessantly climbing all over the parents" to "making loud ambulance siren noises the entire time". It turns out there is really no winning the game of "how to get my small child home".

PhilB

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5217 on: May 21, 2018, 10:48:26 AM »

Isn't that an anti-MPP since you paid for a taxi instead of spending two hours in the rain on some byzantine public transit journey to save $3? ;-) 

On the flip side, my local subway wasn't running uptown all weekend, so I took the bus through Manhattan for 60 blocks and ended up in a vehicle with no less than 5 children between about 1-3 years of age, ranging from "random baby shrieking" to "incessantly climbing all over the parents" to "making loud ambulance siren noises the entire time". It turns out there is really no winning the game of "how to get my small child home".
It's amazing the different cultural attitudes to children on public transport.  I'll never forget one crowded bus journey in the Andes when a local woman with a baby and 3 pre-schoolers got on, took the seat next to me and promptly gave me the baby to look after so she could manage the other 3. 

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5218 on: May 21, 2018, 11:26:53 AM »
Haha, I would have been shocked if someone handed me a baby! I would have promptly given it back!

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5219 on: May 21, 2018, 11:32:44 AM »
We got on a train, after a transatlantic flight, in Italy with our then-18 month old, who was tired and fussy, and a college-aged woman came up and offered to bounce him for a few minutes. When we looked around, he was making the rounds of the entire train car, sitting on a lap here, getting bounced there, basically getting passed from hand to hand.

Italy: land of "we love children, but don't have many ourselves." Loved it!

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5220 on: May 21, 2018, 09:37:06 PM »
On our transatlantic flight with a 21 month old, people were kind enough to offer us pills of unknown origin to make our child stop screaming. She never did stop screaming. We got no smiles at the end of the flight.

Cali

• Stubble
Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)
« Reply #5221 on: May 21, 2018, 10:02:33 PM »
On our transatlantic flight with a 21 month old, people were kind enough to offer us pills of unknown origin to make our child stop screaming. She never did stop screaming. We got no smiles at the end of the flight.

I would have smiled at you.

Top 5 worst passengers
1) person reeking of perfume
2) person reeking of secondhand smoke or BO
3) kid kicking nonstop behind me
4) middle seat
5) non-stop screaming baby

You can (and I do) travel with 33db earplugs. Or noise cancelling earphones if I feel like it. You can work around #5. As far as I’m concerned if you don’t prep for that when you travel then it’s your own failure as an adult.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 10:06:22 PM by Cali »

Cali

• Stubble
« Reply #5222 on: May 21, 2018, 10:05:40 PM »
It's amazing the different cultural attitudes to children on public transport.  I'll never forget one crowded bus journey in the Andes when a local woman with a baby and 3 pre-schoolers got on, took the seat next to me and promptly gave me the baby to look after so she could manage the other 3.

I would take a stranger’s baby over holding a pissed-off rooster. One of the girls I backpacked with in college told a story that had me in stitches but I’m glad I didn’t live it.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5223 on: May 22, 2018, 01:12:47 AM »

Maybe the child couldn't pop it's ears. That hurts a lot and I can understand the screaming.

UKMustache

• Stubble
« Reply #5224 on: May 22, 2018, 02:19:26 AM »

Top 5 worst passengers
4) middle seat

I think you got 4 wrong. 

I was recently on a long haul flight in the middle of the day (take off 10am) and a guy near us had an absolute nightmare.

The person in front of him dropped their seat back to full recline as soon as we got in the air.  It was one of the new boeing planes and in economy when the seat in front is reclined, it completely wipes out your leg room and puts your screen on a near horizontal angle about 5 inches from your face.  It seems like it's meant for overnight flights when everyone wants to sleep.

Despite repeated pleas from both the cabin crew and the poor guy who now had literally zero space.. the other passenger refused to even put it half way back up.  This might not sound like a big deal but the guy couldn't even eat his meal because there wasn't enough room for the tray table to go down. 

He had the patience of a saint, I don't think I'd have been able to deal with that for 11 hours.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5225 on: May 22, 2018, 07:10:00 AM »
Since a few months I have been borrowing books from the library. A brilliant system. But I am tempted to buy some of the books, to be able to write my own notes in it on a subject that I am learning. But at least, now I can try them out before buying them. And I will buy second hand.

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5226 on: May 22, 2018, 07:32:05 AM »

Top 5 worst passengers
4) middle seat

I think you got 4 wrong. 

I was recently on a long haul flight in the middle of the day (take off 10am) and a guy near us had an absolute nightmare.

The person in front of him dropped their seat back to full recline as soon as we got in the air.  It was one of the new boeing planes and in economy when the seat in front is reclined, it completely wipes out your leg room and puts your screen on a near horizontal angle about 5 inches from your face.  It seems like it's meant for overnight flights when everyone wants to sleep.

Despite repeated pleas from both the cabin crew and the poor guy who now had literally zero space.. the other passenger refused to even put it half way back up.  This might not sound like a big deal but the guy couldn't even eat his meal because there wasn't enough room for the tray table to go down. 

He had the patience of a saint, I don't think I'd have been able to deal with that for 11 hours.

I blame the airlines for that. They've rearranged seating on planes to maximize profit, but they haven't changed the seats to prevent them reclining past the point that would be acceptable to the person sitting behind them.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5227 on: May 22, 2018, 08:25:57 AM »

Top 5 worst passengers
4) middle seat

I think you got 4 wrong. 

Having been on dozens of long haul flights on all sorts of carriers and aircrafts, I have never once seen a situation as you describe.

Economy seats never recline very much, and unless one is really, really overweight, or really, really tall, there is no way to end up with zero legroom and the seat inches from one's face.

Which route was this on?

And to add to that list, the worst passengers are the parents who take their screaming baby up and down the aisle to make sure they wake everyone up instead of just the immediate neighbors. Drug your babies before flights, people, it's not going to kill them.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5228 on: May 22, 2018, 08:49:07 AM »

Top 5 worst passengers
4) middle seat

I think you got 4 wrong. 

Having been on dozens of long haul flights on all sorts of carriers and aircrafts, I have never once seen a situation as you describe.

Economy seats never recline very much, and unless one is really, really overweight, or really, really tall, there is no way to end up with zero legroom and the seat inches from one's face.

Which route was this on?

And to add to that list, the worst passengers are the parents who take their screaming baby up and down the aisle to make sure they wake everyone up instead of just the immediate neighbors. Drug your babies before flights, people, it's not going to kill them.

One problem is that the things that are safe don't work reliably for all kids. So Benadryl, for instance, puts 80% - 90% of small kids to sleep, but hypes up the other 10-20%. Guess which kind of kid I have?

Also, lots'o' "drugs" are hard to reliably dose for babies and small children, and missing by just a little can have serious consequences, so I'm hoping that you're being sarcastic here... Because traveling on public carriers means you get to travel with the rest of the public, which includes babies, small children, obnoxious adults, and extremely overweight people (I once sat next to a guy who not only couldn't sit all the way back in his seat, once the flight was underway he could only move his hands and turn his head, because the rest of him was wedged in so tightly.).  It's helpful to remember that you don't know other people's situation (baby/small child with painful un-popped ears, person going to a parent's funeral, whatever) and try to be helpful and sympathetic.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5229 on: May 22, 2018, 09:22:16 AM »
One problem is that the things that are safe don't work reliably for all kids. So Benadryl, for instance, puts 80% - 90% of small kids to sleep, but hypes up the other 10-20%. Guess which kind of kid I have?
Heh, we tried Benadryl on one of our kids for a flight once.  Didn't make him hyper or sleepy, just ...loopy.  It was kind of bizarre.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #5230 on: May 22, 2018, 10:41:12 AM »

Top 5 worst passengers
4) middle seat

I think you got 4 wrong. 

Which route was this on?

Baby died.  Now what?  I assume you’re gonna make me a new one?

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #5231 on: May 22, 2018, 12:13:55 PM »
MPP of the day - my partner recently started a very successful side gig, which threw a monkey wrench into my careful net worth projections.

We're also needing to have conversations now that weren't scheduled to take place for another three years, since technically with his side gig plus our investment income, we could now retire immediately if we want to, rather than in four years.

FirePaddle

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5232 on: May 22, 2018, 03:02:43 PM »
1.5 years from FIRE, asking for a raise, getting it, then feeling guilty about it :\

nouveauRiche

• Bristles
« Reply #5233 on: May 22, 2018, 03:13:39 PM »
MPP of the day - my partner recently started a very successful side gig, which threw a monkey wrench into my careful net worth projections.

We're also needing to have conversations now that weren't scheduled to take place for another three years, since technically with his side gig plus our investment income, we could now retire immediately if we want to, rather than in four years.

Those are fun problems to have!  Congrats.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5234 on: May 23, 2018, 01:03:26 AM »

Wow, congratulations. Is it an idea for you to start working PT now while the two of you think about FIREing now? I guess it is a good idea to be a little more prepared for it.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5235 on: May 23, 2018, 03:00:33 AM »

I woudl have the patience of a saint too. And even more saintly, since I could not eat my meal, I would have given it to someone else. To the person closed to me - the one in front - and since I am so saintly, to save him the trouble of rising his arm, I would put it directly into his face.

Might not give me back the space, but it would be extremely satisfying.

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5236 on: May 23, 2018, 01:26:25 PM »
I would have asked the person directly in front of the dipwad to also put his seat back as far as it would go.  And not move it forward again until/unless dipwad did the same.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5237 on: May 23, 2018, 02:00:52 PM »
I signed up for a credit card with a mere $50 bonus because the 3% rewards categories were so specifically tailored to my lifestyle. It makes me inexplicably happy to have a card with those categories, but I still feel a little bad that I wasted a credit card slot on it. There's just no winning with this brain sometimes.

wannabe-stache

• Stubble
« Reply #5238 on: May 23, 2018, 02:58:14 PM »
What "problems" do you have as a result of your mustachian lifestyle? Here's one of mine:

My single garage is nicely organized, with plenty of room for our car and bikes. Since the driveway is always empty, maybe a thief will think we're out of town, break in, and be very disappointed with our few outdated electronics and complete absence of jewelery.

my hair is getting too long b/c i keep putting off haircuts.  and no i can't shave my head and no my wife won't cut it (she's scared she'll screw it up).

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #5239 on: May 23, 2018, 06:45:05 PM »
Worst flight I was on, I was 14, coming home from a church event out west.  Layover in Las Vegas.  I ended up sitting between this couple on the leg from Vegas to Cleveland, they were probably in their 30s or 40s, drunk.  Had just met the week before, then spent the weekend in Vegas, got progressively drunker on the flight (they started out fairly tipsy).  One insisted on the aisle seat, the other the window seat.  They talked/yelled over me the entire flight!  The rest of my church group was like 10 rows behind me, and when we got off the plane they were full of stories about the couple that I was sitting between.  They were so loud that my group 10 rows back could hear them!

I think I'm still a little traumatized by that plane flight.

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5240 on: June 05, 2018, 04:29:14 AM »
Having to wait (impatiently) until the close of business today to see if I need to make adjustments to my new Roth TSP (I have been making contributions to the traditional for years.) 

elliha

• Bristles
« Reply #5241 on: June 05, 2018, 05:18:19 AM »
Worst flight I was on, I was 14, coming home from a church event out west.  Layover in Las Vegas.  I ended up sitting between this couple on the leg from Vegas to Cleveland, they were probably in their 30s or 40s, drunk.  Had just met the week before, then spent the weekend in Vegas, got progressively drunker on the flight (they started out fairly tipsy).  One insisted on the aisle seat, the other the window seat.  They talked/yelled over me the entire flight!  The rest of my church group was like 10 rows behind me, and when we got off the plane they were full of stories about the couple that I was sitting between.  They were so loud that my group 10 rows back could hear them!

I ended up next to (thankfully not in between) a Norwegian couple who were really drunk once on a flight to England. They were loud, smelled of alcohol, drank more alcohol on the flight and the man became really really drunk. He kept asking me questions but was too drunk to understand Swedish (Swedes and Norwegians generally understand each other well). He asked me what I was doing in England after telling me he was going to a football match and after having sung some support song for the team and I told him I was going to a conference. He could not understand this word at all and I tried it in English and repeated it in Swedish several times. It wasn't until his wife told him what I was doing in Norwegian that he understood what I meant. The Swedish and Norwegian words for conference are almost the same... When we were landing the man looked very much like he would vomit. I was next to him and feared having my clothes and shoes covered in vomit mostly consisting of booze. Thankfully he made it without vomiting. My colleagues felt very bad for me having to sit next to these people.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #5242 on: June 05, 2018, 05:28:54 AM »
My MPP is that once every couple of months my employer, as a perk, emails us some discounts and special deals that they have worked out with local merchants.  And they are never anything I can use

I have all the "stuff" I need; I wouldn't go to the XYZ fancy spa or the ABC jewelry store and use their 10% discount.  And I don't need services like lawn mowing or carpet cleaning. 

I wish for once they would get us a discount at a grocery store or Tractor Supply, something like that.  I'm going to suggest it -- we'll see.   

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5243 on: June 05, 2018, 05:56:45 AM »
My MPP is that once every couple of months my employer, as a perk, emails us some discounts and special deals that they have worked out with local merchants.  And they are never anything I can use

I have all the "stuff" I need; I wouldn't go to the XYZ fancy spa or the ABC jewelry store and use their 10% discount.  And I don't need services like lawn mowing or carpet cleaning. 

I wish for once they would get us a discount at a grocery store or Tractor Supply, something like that.  I'm going to suggest it -- we'll see.

Sounds familiar. We sometimes have a deal for sports clothes. The prices I see are usually higher than what I use to pay for the same item on discount elsewhere.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5244 on: June 05, 2018, 09:24:25 AM »

PhilB: It may be US vehicles. I've driven roughly 20-25 manual vehicles in the US (owned 9 of them), and of those, the only one that would start without the clutch pedal fully depressed so that the clutch was disengaged was a backhoe. And it appeared to have been manufactured in the north of England.

My '62' Ford Falcon Futura was like that, I bought that when I was 15 and put 50 miles on it in a 50ft driveway :-)

stoaX

• Handlebar Stache
  • 'tis nothing good nor bad but thinking makes it so
« Reply #5245 on: June 11, 2018, 04:29:42 PM »
The strong emphasis on bicycling on this blog has caused me a mustachian people problem: when I walk to the grocery store I feel guilty that I didn't ride my bike!

Slow&Steady

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5246 on: June 12, 2018, 07:39:48 AM »

I was on a flight between an Asian grandmother and her grandson, neither of them wanted to switch me seats but they did want to pass their food back and forth over the top of me the entire flight.  It smelled wonderfully, they never offered to share it with me.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5247 on: June 12, 2018, 08:33:49 AM »

Top 5 worst passengers
4) middle seat

I think you got 4 wrong. 

Which route was this on?

It's quiet on the plane now.  You're trying to punish the guy for solving the problem?  :P

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #5248 on: June 12, 2018, 08:56:17 AM »

Top 5 worst passengers
4) middle seat

I think you got 4 wrong. 

Which route was this on?

It's quiet on the plane now.  You're trying to punish the guy for solving the problem?  :P

Making babies is now a punishment?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5249 on: June 12, 2018, 09:25:31 AM »

Top 5 worst passengers
4) middle seat

I think you got 4 wrong. 

Which route was this on?

Making babies is now a punishment?

Is it supposed to be fun?

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!