Author Topic: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)  (Read 5093676 times)

kaypinkHH

• Pencil Stache
    • My first Journal!
Re: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)
« Reply #4450 on: December 04, 2017, 01:34:53 PM »
Moved from a HCOL to a MCOL city, sold HCOL house.

Now none of our MCOL friends believe us when we say "this restaurant isn't in our budget".

So many struggles.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4451 on: December 04, 2017, 01:41:31 PM »

Now none of our MCOL friends believe us when we say "this restaurant isn't in our budget".

So many struggles.

Why?  Do they think you are rolling in money because you sold a place in HCOL area?  Or are they just spendy spendy types that only have a little budgeted for long term savings out of their paychecks?

coynemoney

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4452 on: December 04, 2017, 02:03:55 PM »
Finally bit the bullet and installed a smart thermostat. After the DIY installation it did seem to be blowing a bit cooler than before but chocked it up to needing to warm up a bit (never really paid THAT close attention to the heating). The next day I did some more research and realized I had a setting wrong, resulting in the system blowing both the heat AND A/C over the past 24+ hours (and AUX heat because it was using a feature called Boost to make heating faster)!!

It's all good now but I'm bracing for the electric bill...

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #4453 on: December 04, 2017, 07:32:22 PM »
If you mess up the math and end up setting your payroll deductions to be more than 100% of your post tax pay, your employer might not have the same priorities as you.

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4454 on: December 04, 2017, 09:54:29 PM »
Finally bit the bullet and installed a smart thermostat. After the DIY installation it did seem to be blowing a bit cooler than before but chocked it up to needing to warm up a bit (never really paid THAT close attention to the heating). The next day I did some more research and realized I had a setting wrong, resulting in the system blowing both the heat AND A/C over the past 24+ hours (and AUX heat because it was using a feature called Boost to make heating faster)!!

I made some conservative estimates. If your unit is 5 kwh and you ran it for 24 hours a day at 14 cents a kw that's less than $17. Could be worse! Not sure if this is correct though. Do you mean that it was set to such a specific temperature that both would kick on individually? Or at the same time (which they shouldn't be unless your heat is gas not electric)...

barbaz

• Stubble
« Reply #4455 on: December 05, 2017, 12:35:03 AM »
I had a similar issue last week.  I use the online bill pay to pay for a house cleaner for my mom's house once a month (beats me doing it!) and one of the checks was never cashed so it came back to me.  Now I have an extra $80 in income in November, and an extra $80 in spending in December in my budget program because of course I sent the cleaner a replacement check for the one that was cancelled.
In YNAB I would just budget the extra “income” as a negative expense and let the money roll over to next month where it is spent again. This way all income and spending statistics are correct.

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4456 on: December 05, 2017, 05:30:01 AM »

I hoped you checked with your electric company first.  I didn't DYI my eccobee, my gas company came out and put one in for "free."  (I say in quotes because I guess I paid for it as part of my fees for the past 5 years).  I had the energy audit done that was offered, I got a smart thermostat and 2 low flow shower heads out of it.  On the other side of the state where the gas company provides electric as well they also give our lightbulbs.

anotherAlias

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4457 on: December 05, 2017, 06:04:18 AM »
About 2 years ago I started adding regularly to my after tax Vanguard account.  I originally didn't have enough funds to by the funds I wanted in the allocation I wanted so I dumped it into a Target date fund for what was supposed to be a short amount of time until I had enough for fund minimums of the portfolio I really wanted.  Then life happened, my savings rate increased, the market boomed and I forgot to redistribute to the desired funds.  This weekend I was revisiting my asset allocation and realized that I had totally neglected this account which is now >100K.  Rejiggering everything to be in alignment with the rest of my portfolio is costing me about $1800 in capital gains tax.  oops.  Is it wrong that I'm hoping the next market correction happens before Dec 31 so I can to some tax loss harvesting from my other taxable account to cover the gains in this one?  #firstworldproblems

coynemoney

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4458 on: December 05, 2017, 06:18:36 AM »

I made some conservative estimates. If your unit is 5 kwh and you ran it for 24 hours a day at 14 cents a kw that's less than $17. Could be worse! Not sure if this is correct though. Do you mean that it was set to such a specific temperature that both would kick on individually? Or at the same time (which they shouldn't be unless your heat is gas not electric)...

It was set up so the outside A/C unit was considered a heat pump where it is simply a stand-alone A/C unit. So while it was ramping up to the temperature setpoint both the heat and A/C units were both on at the same time I think.

kaypinkHH

• Pencil Stache
    • My first Journal!
« Reply #4459 on: December 05, 2017, 08:24:15 AM »

So many struggles.

Why?  Do they think you are rolling in money because you sold a place in HCOL area?  Or are they just spendy spendy types that only have a little budgeted for long term savings out of their paychecks?

They think we are rolling in money....which isn't wrong :P.

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4460 on: December 05, 2017, 10:17:28 AM »
I always bring lunch to work. However, there's often some food available in the coffee room or at the hospital canteen downstairs. So regularly, I end up not eating my brought lunch. This week, it's happened two days in a row and now I don't think I can leave it another day so have to eat it for dinner. While I planned on cooking something else for dinner, buhu :(

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
  • Penny wise, pound foolish
« Reply #4461 on: December 05, 2017, 10:43:11 AM »

So many struggles.

They think we are rolling in money....which isn't wrong :P.

Ordinary people that know thrifty folks roll in money tend to forget how the situation came to be in the first place - that we DON'T spend money on bullshit.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4462 on: December 05, 2017, 10:54:07 AM »
I always bring lunch to work. However, there's often some food available in the coffee room or at the hospital canteen downstairs. So regularly, I end up not eating my brought lunch. This week, it's happened two days in a row and now I don't think I can leave it another day so have to eat it for dinner. While I planned on cooking something else for dinner, buhu :(

Yeah, food waste is bad! I had the world's worst dinner last night because I couldn't bear to throw food away. I threw together some kind of pasta + veg with an improvised sauce, and I accidentally massively oversalted it. I ended up actually putting it all in a strainer and running water over it to wash off the oversalted sauce, and then eating it like that. :-|

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4463 on: December 05, 2017, 11:07:25 AM »
Currently eating leftovers I really, really don't want because my husband forgot his cooler of food this week when he left for Grad School Land. By the time I got home last night, the frozen leftover Mexican dip that he likes at least 10X more than I do was still icy cold, but unfrozen. I figure I'd better eat it. Fortunately, I found some leftover cornbread in the freezer which makes it taste much better to me than eating it with the chips he likes.

I'm also attempting to eat up his salads and mine this week, but since they're spinach, I may just cook with them instead.

gerardc

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4464 on: December 05, 2017, 05:34:42 PM »
Ordinary people that know thrifty folks roll in money tend to forget how the situation came to be in the first place - that we DON'T spend money on bullshit.

"Why do you keep dieting / working out, your body is already great! If I had a body like yours, I'd indulge in junk food and take a break from working out right away!"
- Well, that explains why you don't...

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4465 on: December 05, 2017, 06:03:32 PM »

"Why do you keep dieting / working out, your body is already great! If I had a body like yours, I'd indulge in junk food and take a break from working out right away!"
- Well, that explains why you don't...

Yes!! If people don't see a big change, like clawing your way out of debt or losing 100 pounds, they assume that you've always been the way you are just by chance/luck/good genes, without any effort on your part. Although I'm very, very happy for anyone who has made a huge positive change in their life, it's frustrating that no one wants to listen to someone like me, who has been plugging away with boring good habits and therefore never had any need for a huge positive change. (That sounds horribly arrogant, and of course I don't mean to imply that I'm perfect. Just that I'm more of a tortoise than a hare, and people seem to like the drama of the hare.)

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4466 on: December 05, 2017, 06:16:35 PM »
People keep buying me drinks when I go out with groups (eg. coworker today at pub) and I never ever pay them back because they dive in to buy the first round every time and all I want is a single Diet Coke and I'm good for the whole night, while they get through several beers. They don't seem to mind (obviously I'm a cheap date!), but I find it very awkward. I'd rather just buy my own drinks but insisting would be even more awkward.

gypsy79

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4467 on: December 05, 2017, 06:37:31 PM »
We were on a road trip last week, and I accidentally grabbed a medium coffee cup at the convenience store instead of the small coffee cup I wanted. (Seemed like they purposefully placed the smalls and mediums apart from each other so people would make this mistake.) The mistake cost me 20 cents, and I became irrationally angry with myself. In fact, I am still bitter.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #4468 on: December 05, 2017, 06:49:19 PM »
I had a similar issue last week.  I use the online bill pay to pay for a house cleaner for my mom's house once a month (beats me doing it!) and one of the checks was never cashed so it came back to me.  Now I have an extra $80 in income in November, and an extra $80 in spending in December in my budget program because of course I sent the cleaner a replacement check for the one that was cancelled.
In YNAB I would just budget the extra “income” as a negative expense and let the money roll over to next month where it is spent again. This way all income and spending statistics are correct.
Doh!  Thank you, I changed this and it's all better now!  I use YNAB, never thought of doing that before, but it works!

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4469 on: December 06, 2017, 01:09:59 PM »
People keep buying me drinks when I go out with groups (eg. coworker today at pub) and I never ever pay them back because they dive in to buy the first round every time and all I want is a single Diet Coke and I'm good for the whole night, while they get through several beers. They don't seem to mind (obviously I'm a cheap date!), but I find it very awkward. I'd rather just buy my own drinks but insisting would be even more awkward.

Familiar one. I'm not unwilling to pay someone a drink, but they just always seem to want them sooner/more frequently than  me.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4470 on: December 08, 2017, 02:26:04 AM »

Familiar one. I'm not unwilling to pay someone a drink, but they just always seem to want them sooner/more frequently than  me.

Yes, this sounds familiar. Some people are always paying the first round, often for a pretty big group. For me, the number of rounds should not equal the number of people. So I am reluctant paying a round for the whole group (in Norway alcoholic drinks are really expensive). I would much rather pay for my own stuff and leave it there. But declining a round from someone is also impolite.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4471 on: December 14, 2017, 01:31:44 PM »

Yes, this sounds familiar. Some people are always paying the first round, often for a pretty big group. For me, the number of rounds should not equal the number of people. So I am reluctant paying a round for the whole group (in Norway alcoholic drinks are really expensive). I would much rather pay for my own stuff and leave it there. But declining a round from someone is also impolite.

This is me too! With close friends, I'm just the weirdo who never wants a drink. They don't mind anymore. We don't go out in large groups, so the cost is not a problem, it's just that I don't drink and once I've finished a soft drink I don't need another one for at least the next hour. I could accept the drinks and just hold them in my hand for a long time but that's really annoying.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #4472 on: December 14, 2017, 03:25:42 PM »

This is me too! With close friends, I'm just the weirdo who never wants a drink. They don't mind anymore. We don't go out in large groups, so the cost is not a problem, it's just that I don't drink and once I've finished a soft drink I don't need another one for at least the next hour. I could accept the drinks and just hold them in my hand for a long time but that's really annoying.

I did that in college. Played drinking games with a can of beer. Everyone else was too drunk to notice that it was the same can of beer all night, and I knew never to hang out with that group again.

A colleague and a client just finished a rant about people who don't drink, and how sad it is to toast with a soft drink.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4473 on: December 14, 2017, 03:43:16 PM »
A colleague and a client just finished a rant about people who don't drink, and how sad it is to toast with a soft drink.

I wonder what they would think about all the times I've toasted with a glass of tap water. :-)

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4474 on: December 14, 2017, 04:34:46 PM »

I wonder what they would think about all the times I've toasted with a glass of tap water. :-)

Someone insisted on handing me a glass of champagne to toast at my own wedding. I drink, but not champagne - they wouldn't "let me" toast with whatever I had in my hand. I was young. If it happened now I'd tell them to piss off (actually don't remember who it was but I'm betting it was one of my in-laws).

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4475 on: December 14, 2017, 05:22:10 PM »
Someone insisted on handing me a glass of champagne to toast at my own wedding. I drink, but not champagne - they wouldn't "let me" toast with whatever I had in my hand. I was young. If it happened now I'd tell them to piss off (actually don't remember who it was but I'm betting it was one of my in-laws).

Ginger ale in a champagne flute is a pretty good fake if you're ever in a weird situation like that. I did that for my then-boyfriend at the millennium since we were at a big ol' fancy party with an open bar, and everyone was doing a big toast, and he was a little bummed he couldn't share in the moment. So I downed a glass of champagne (the sacrifices we make...) and poured some of his ginger ale in the empty flute, and no one could tell the difference but him :-)

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4476 on: December 15, 2017, 12:05:07 AM »

Haha, I feel you. I've even had friends blaming me for drinking tap water over soft drinks because it's 'boring'. I didn't understand how I would get more fun with sugared, colored and fizzly water compared to just plain water.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4477 on: December 15, 2017, 01:16:55 AM »

Haha, I feel you. I've even had friends blaming me for drinking tap water over soft drinks because it's 'boring'. I didn't understand how I would get more fun with sugared, colored and fizzly water compared to just plain water.
The fun comes from the frenzy action your body jumps in to not get poisened by all that stuff. That makes you high.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4478 on: December 15, 2017, 01:51:46 AM »

The fun comes from the frenzy action your body jumps in to not get poisened by all that stuff. That makes you high.

I like a soft drink rather than tap water when I go out. We don't keep them in the house, so it is a rare treat. But I don't understand why other people CARE so much. I'll drink my drink and you drink yours. I don't make a fuss about you drinking half a bottle of wine, why are you making a fuss about ne drinking a Diet Coke?

ETA: it's come up a lot lately because I'm pregnant. My actual friends a) have got used to me by now and b) are friends and not jerks. But when I meet someone new and they notice I'm not drinking they often go off on one about how HARD it must be to not drink while pregnant but not to worry, I'll be toasting the new baby soon! So I just casually say "Oh not really, I don't usually drink at all". Cue anger and confusion. And intense CARING about my taste preferences.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 01:55:26 AM by shelivesthedream »

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4479 on: December 15, 2017, 07:43:07 AM »
1.  Looks at HSA, realizes is short by about $200 to maxing it out.
2.  Schedules payment
3.  Looks again, realizes that the December pass though has not transacted from employer.
4.  Has to go modify maxing out transaction so as not to be $62.50 over.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4480 on: December 15, 2017, 09:17:03 AM »
We were on a road trip last week, and I accidentally grabbed a medium coffee cup at the convenience store instead of the small coffee cup I wanted. (Seemed like they purposefully placed the smalls and mediums apart from each other so people would make this mistake.) The mistake cost me 20 cents, and I became irrationally angry with myself. In fact, I am still bitter.
Bitter like the coffee? Hope you're over the pain now.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4481 on: December 16, 2017, 06:33:18 AM »
Yesterday we went to a concert. It is winter here so we had to wear warm winter jackets outside. The wardrobe in the concert hall wanted 5 dollars for each coat. So DH and I kept our coats with us, as did a grwat number of people. It was quite uncomfortable having to use a hand around my winter jacket for hours. Giving applause for the very nice concert was difficult.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4482 on: December 18, 2017, 02:31:33 AM »
Linda, have you tried draping your coat on your seat and then sitting on it? If you have a very long coat, you might have to fold the bottom up on to the seat so that the hem doesn't get dirty from the floor, but I find that sitting on coats to be less warm than holding them in laps. If you have a very short person in your group, you can also make a booster-seat bundle with them (I do this with my miniscule grandmother).

There were no seats. And my coat would not stay folded around my hips either. It is too slippery.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #4483 on: December 18, 2017, 02:49:47 AM »
The only time I go to a pro sports game is when i get free tickets and my friends laugh (they never know about the tickets) but deep down inside i know at the end of the night when they realize how much they have spent on bear, tickets, parking and snacks I am the guy they love to be mad at.  I am willing to walk a mile to save 25$ on parking and stop at the dollar store for me and my kids to pick up some items to snack on as they just keep opening there wallets up. 

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4484 on: December 18, 2017, 11:38:42 AM »
The only time I go to a pro sports game is when i get free tickets and my friends laugh (they never know about the tickets) but deep down inside i know at the end of the night when they realize how much they have spent on bear, tickets, parking and snacks I am the guy they love to be mad at.  I am willing to walk a mile to save 25$ on parking and stop at the dollar store for me and my kids to pick up some items to snack on as they just keep opening there wallets up.

In the (long long) past, I went to a sports game and brought my own water and snacks and fruit. The guard at the gate said I couldn't bring my food in. I claimed I was hypoglycemic and needed to eat this. I don't think they knew what hypoglycemic was, looked a little scared, and just let me bring it in. It wasn't a total fabrication because at one point in time, I was fainting in certain situations and thought I might be, but I am not. It worked though.

Now I don't go to sports games. They bore me. Problem of overpriced parking and snacks solved!

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4485 on: December 18, 2017, 11:44:56 AM »

Well if they spend money on a bear, then they should make sure they get snacks, so they don't end up as a snack.  Seems reasonable to me.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4486 on: December 18, 2017, 11:47:02 AM »

Well if they spend money on a bear, then they should make sure they get snacks, so they don't end up as a snack.  Seems reasonable to me.
Let the bears pay the bear tax, I pay the Homer tax.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4487 on: December 18, 2017, 01:06:12 PM »
Today's MPP:

I realized that VTI has gone up so fast that I can't really say that the dividend yield is 2% anymore when discussing it with people. It's now just below 1.75%.

gerardc

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4488 on: December 18, 2017, 05:57:42 PM »

In the (long long) past, I went to a sports game and brought my own water and snacks and fruit. The guard at the gate said I couldn't bring my food in. I claimed I was hypoglycemic and needed to eat this. I don't think they knew what hypoglycemic was, looked a little scared, and just let me bring it in. It wasn't a total fabrication because at one point in time, I was fainting in certain situations and thought I might be, but I am not. It worked though.

Now I don't go to sports games. They bore me. Problem of overpriced parking and snacks solved!

And that's why when someone claims they have a condition, are lactose-intolerant, gluten-intolerant, etc. no one gives a fuck anymore.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4489 on: December 18, 2017, 06:53:13 PM »
Today's second MPP related to VTI... I keep checking the stock market, like DAILY due to the funny "Top is IN!" thread!

I used to go months between checking the market, sometimes over a year. No longer.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4490 on: December 18, 2017, 09:37:53 PM »

And that's why when someone claims they have a condition, are lactose-intolerant, gluten-intolerant, etc. no one gives a fuck anymore.

I'm not sure what you are getting at with here, but I find the unhealthy and overpriced food at stadiums ridiculous. There was nothing wrong with me bringing some fruit, water, and snacks with me to the game, but the guards weren't allowing that. I'm not sure why buying tickets to a game means that you have to eat their stadium food and can't bring your own.

Oh well, over priced parking and food, in addition to boring games, means that I will not attend any more of their games.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 09:40:32 PM by Daisy »

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4491 on: December 19, 2017, 12:43:02 AM »

I'm not sure what you are getting at with here, but I find the unhealthy and overpriced food at stadiums ridiculous. There was nothing wrong with me bringing some fruit, water, and snacks with me to the game, but the guards weren't allowing that. I'm not sure why buying tickets to a game means that you have to eat their stadium food and can't bring your own.

Oh well, over priced parking and food, in addition to boring games, means that I will not attend any more of their games.

We went to a concert on Friday and I bought a bottle of soda at a local grocery store for a much lower price than at a kiosk in the center. I had thought to bring it inside. DH pinpointed that they were body-searching coats and that we couldn't bring the drink. So we drank the bottle while standing in the queue. It turned out that the search was not that bad. I could have put the bottle somewhere without being noticed.
But we were fine for the rest of the evening. The others people in the audience were buying expensive beer all the time.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #4492 on: December 19, 2017, 07:49:43 AM »

There is nothing wrong with lying because it was what I wanted to do.

WoodSpinner

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4493 on: December 19, 2017, 10:07:48 AM »
My MPP is that I feel an inadequate Mustachian for not using any kind of app, software or excel sheet to track my spending. I'm actually a bookkeeper, logging spending is what I do for a living. I just can't make myself do it at home too.

I'm still pretty confident I can tell you the exact amount of money I spend in nearly every category though. I try to spend as little as possible so I don't have to keep track of a large amount of purchases.

My Mom was a very early MMM ...

She passed away last year and when we were going through her stuff, I found itemized detailed hand-written spreadsheets tracking all of the expenses for me, my brother and sister from birth to when we moved out!!!

I had quite a good time reviewing the expenditures and highlighting the fact that my frugality was in my DNA, since she spent about 1/3 less on me ( I have had part time jobs since 13) than my brother or sister.

WoodSpinner
(2nd day of FIRE)

jordanread

« Reply #4494 on: December 19, 2017, 10:44:49 AM »
@WoodSpinner that is awesome!!

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4495 on: December 20, 2017, 05:45:44 PM »
I had a few moments of serious angst tonight when I spotted a nickel on the floor. Nobody else was nearby, so fair game. But it was in a public bathroom in a midtown Manhattan medical facility, so a very high germ/ick factor. I decided to leave it for the janitor... might have gone for a quarter, but it's not worth catching Ebola over a nickel ;-)

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4496 on: December 20, 2017, 09:27:47 PM »
I had a few moments of serious angst tonight when I spotted a nickel on the floor. Nobody else was nearby, so fair game. But it was in a public bathroom in a midtown Manhattan medical facility, so a very high germ/ick factor. I decided to leave it for the janitor... might have gone for a quarter, but it's not worth catching Ebola over a nickel ;-)

You do have standards after all...

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4497 on: December 21, 2017, 12:35:21 AM »
Being a Mustachian I use a smart phone that is some years old, a Samsung S4 active. At work we moved into a new building this week and my phone simple doesn't have any coverage at all. My colleague advised to turn on Wifi-call. But my phone seems to be too old to have this option.
I am currently updating to the latest phone software in the hope that some solution will appear.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #4498 on: December 21, 2017, 07:30:21 AM »
Our rent is going up 10%, and likely to increase again in six months. This felt like a gut punch. Then I did the yearly math and it doesn't seem like that much. Then I literally cried for our neighbors who live on the edge (theirs won't increase quite as much, as part of the increase is a per resident fee). Then I remembered that they eat out more than we do. And drink a helluva lot more than we do.

Still, I sure hope we can get a waiver to move into our back up plan early!

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4499 on: December 22, 2017, 01:19:05 PM »
I told my wife I've almost reached $150k in my 401k. She responded with: "That doesn't seem like much..." Our Mustachian mindset has made even $150k feel like a rather small milestone.