Author Topic: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)  (Read 5145809 times)

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)
« Reply #9150 on: April 19, 2022, 10:02:18 AM »
I had to drive on the freeway to a big city, I passed THREE empty Brute garbage cans on the shoulder but I couldn't pull over, no room and a semi right behind me.
THREE! I've gotten lots of free garbage cans over the years this way.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9151 on: April 19, 2022, 01:35:20 PM »
I miscalculated my 401k withholding at the old job and hit the annual max before I left, so I will miss out on the company match at the new job. Oops.

dhc

• Stubble
« Reply #9152 on: April 19, 2022, 02:02:14 PM »
I miscalculated my 401k withholding at the old job and hit the annual max before I left, so I will miss out on the company match at the new job. Oops.

Been there, done that. Hope the new job turns out rewarding enough you soon forget all about it!

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9153 on: April 19, 2022, 02:04:59 PM »
Before you get too down, can you sign up for the new employer's 401k, get the match, and then ask your old employer to refund your now-excess contributions?  I ran into a similar issue last year, which didn't come to light until after the new year, and that's how we're handling it.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
    • FIRE Countdown
« Reply #9154 on: April 19, 2022, 09:30:27 PM »
We are currently on Day 25 of what was supposed to be a 4-day lockdown in Shanghai. The government and my company keeps sending us food packages. Our MPP is that we waste so little food and use up all parts of what is sent to us, that we can't keep up with the food that is appearing at our door, and now we are stressed out about wasting all the fresh veggies.

As a corollary, we are actually eating better under lockdown than we were before, because my company keeps sending me expensive expat foods (like steak and bakery bread and organic milk), whereas we would never purchase these overpriced items for ourselves.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9155 on: April 19, 2022, 10:12:11 PM »
We are currently on Day 25 of what was supposed to be a 4-day lockdown in Shanghai. The government and my company keeps sending us food packages. Our MPP is that we waste so little food and use up all parts of what is sent to us, that we can't keep up with the food that is appearing at our door, and now we are stressed out about wasting all the fresh veggies.

As a corollary, we are actually eating better under lockdown than we were before, because my company keeps sending me expensive expat foods (like steak and bakery bread and organic milk), whereas we would never purchase these overpriced items for ourselves.
Why not make the food available to your neighbors, who might not be so lucky?

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
    • FIRE Countdown
« Reply #9156 on: April 19, 2022, 10:36:24 PM »

Why not make the food available to your neighbors, who might not be so lucky?

Our neighbors all got the same government boxes with the same veggies -- mostly Chinese veggies that many of our expat neighbors don't eat -- our neighbors are offering their veggies for free on the residents group chat. We did donate many of our extra veggies to the compound's guards and to my company's guards.

And the neighbors who don't live in my compound? Well, we are all locked down. We can't leave our compounds. There's no way to get veggies to others who live in other compounds who may need it more.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2022, 05:48:59 AM by Freedomin5 »

trashtalk

• Stubble
« Reply #9157 on: April 27, 2022, 07:11:25 AM »
Can’t wear reusable cloth menstrual pads attached with snaps and then go ride a bike. Yow painful.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #9158 on: April 27, 2022, 09:36:04 AM »
Can’t wear reusable cloth menstrual pads attached with snaps and then go ride a bike. Yow painful.

I can't wear any pad on a bike, so I can only imagine snaps making that 10 times worse.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9159 on: April 27, 2022, 10:26:00 AM »
Kid's swim goggles straps broke. (Kid loaned her spare pair to another kid (11 yo) who forgot, but that kid has head much bigger than my kid, and didn't adjust straps, breaking them, and returned without apology.)
Speedo doesn't have spare Oggle straps in stock. Independent shops and websites don't have it. Neither does Amazon or eBay, etc. Don't want to buy more pairs of good quality goggles.
Managed to re-use the remaining strap, but there's no more slack for adjusting. Kid says it is snug and fine.
Had to commend kid for sharing, but also had to remind that coach expects everyone to bring their own and no sharing, to teach equipment responsibility. And kid has learned to gauge if the item being shared fits the recipient.
Meanwhile have to research if any 3rd-party products will suffice. Argh, the joys of parenting and fixing broken stuff.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #9160 on: April 30, 2022, 07:25:44 PM »
I finally got the brain space to learn all about tax loss harvesting, but have no losses to harvest.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9161 on: April 30, 2022, 11:51:11 PM »
I finally got the brain space to learn all about tax loss harvesting, but have no losses to harvest.

Then you now have tax gain harvesting to wrap your head around :-)

https://smartasset.com/insights/tax-gain-harvesting

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Tax_gain_harvesting

I've done it. 

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #9162 on: May 01, 2022, 04:54:06 PM »

I've done it.

Thank you :)

I am saving tax gain harvesting for when I am in a tax bracket lower than 22% or 24%.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #9163 on: May 01, 2022, 09:30:39 PM »

I've done it.

Ive got the brain space for tax gain harvesting but way too many carryover losses from TLH to do it

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9164 on: May 03, 2022, 04:31:09 AM »

I can't wear any pad on a bike, so I can only imagine snaps making that 10 times worse.

My experience is that the shape of the saddle matters a lot with this. I would recommend every woman to look into saddles designed for the female anatomy, instead of "unisex" saddles that are designed for men.

Plina

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9165 on: May 03, 2022, 11:02:08 AM »

My experience is that the shape of the saddle matters a lot with this. I would recommend every woman to look into saddles designed for the female anatomy, instead of "unisex" saddles that are designed for men.

I got my sit bones measured yesterday to get a saddle that is a good fit. The standard one was not wide enough.

hdatontodo

• Bristles
« Reply #9166 on: May 03, 2022, 11:10:37 AM »

I got my sit bones measured yesterday to get a saddle that is a good fit. The standard one was not wide enough.

After I got measured at my local Trek dealer (i.e. I sat on the pad that gave measurements), I found the saddle they selected was too narrow. I said my sit bones were at the edge of the seat and not on it. They said that helped leg motion. I went for an even wider seat.

cool7hand

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9167 on: May 03, 2022, 11:48:06 AM »
I have to admit that I get tired of my selection of clothes, which sometimes results in some strange combinations!

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9168 on: May 04, 2022, 01:17:57 AM »
I have to admit that I get tired of my selection of clothes, which sometimes results in some strange combinations!
I often have the same sort of clothing getting holes at basically the same time because I often buy in "bulk". And since I only have what I need it can happen that I go from a slight surplus to a minimum amount in just 2 month. Just happened with bed stuff. The third one with a hole since Christmas just yesterday. It's always the part where you wedge it between your body and arm... Now I really need to buy new ones, and since I am so lacking I will buy several which means in some years in the future everything will give way at the same time again... sigh

On the same level: When the albow area of a long sleeved shirt gets a hole, the rest is also so old that it makes no sense in changing it to short sleeve or anything else, it's not worth the effort for probably not more than 10 more wears.

But most MPP: I sometimes feel bad that I have never donated any used clothing in my life (like with the Ukrainian refugees a month ago). But I simply don't have anything that I could donate. It's a very strange feeling O.o

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #9169 on: May 04, 2022, 08:51:53 AM »
Wrong rant...
« Last Edit: May 04, 2022, 09:01:40 AM by ixtap »

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9170 on: May 15, 2022, 07:05:17 PM »
MPP: my mom wants to know what I want for my birthday again. And you can't wrap anti-consumerism.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #9171 on: May 15, 2022, 07:18:11 PM »
MPP: my mom wants to know what I want for my birthday again. And you can't wrap anti-consumerism.

I hear you. I ask for consumables ie fancier food & drink than normal, underwear or a book that's not in the library. For you maybe a gift voucher for a ticketing app?

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9172 on: May 15, 2022, 08:24:31 PM »

I hear you. I ask for consumables ie fancier food & drink than normal, underwear or a book that's not in the library. For you maybe a gift voucher for a ticketing app?

Concert gift vouchers are almost impossible these days, unfortunately - almost no one sells them for their venues, and most venues I go to either sell their own tickets on their website, or they use indie ticketing apps that don't sell them either. Ticketmaster sells them, but in the last 150-200 concerts I've been to, none were using Ticketmaster.

I just checked and not even the app I use to order pizza sells gift cards! These people are really missing an untapped market of pizza-loving New Yorkers living in tiny apartments who can't fit anything else in their homes but their moms still want to buy them gifts. We are legion!

E.T.

• Bristles
« Reply #9173 on: May 15, 2022, 09:20:29 PM »

Concert gift vouchers are almost impossible these days, unfortunately - almost no one sells them for their venues, and most venues I go to either sell their own tickets on their website, or they use indie ticketing apps that don't sell them either. Ticketmaster sells them, but in the last 150-200 concerts I've been to, none were using Ticketmaster.

I just checked and not even the app I use to order pizza sells gift cards! These people are really missing an untapped market of pizza-loving New Yorkers living in tiny apartments who can't fit anything else in their homes but their moms still want to buy them gifts. We are legion!
I feel your MPP. I usually fire back with "a handwritten letter" as my preferred gift but no one's taken me up on that yet. Gourmet pretzels or chocolates it is.

NorthernIkigai

• Bristles
  • Connoisseur of Leisure
« Reply #9174 on: May 16, 2022, 07:10:30 AM »

Username AND profile pic checks out...

parkerk

• Bristles
« Reply #9175 on: May 17, 2022, 12:23:36 PM »

I feel your MPP. I usually fire back with "a handwritten letter" as my preferred gift but no one's taken me up on that yet. Gourmet pretzels or chocolates it is.

My MPP is that I have repeatedly asked for chocolate in lieu of non-consumable gifts and yet hardly anyone takes me up on that. It's like they don't believe that yes, genuinely all I want is a nice bar of the good chocolate from the fancy grocery store, which I don't usually buy for myself because it's expensive.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #9176 on: May 17, 2022, 12:51:48 PM »
Whenever possible, we will put off replacing something so that we can tell the in laws we want that for Christmas.

Steeze

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9177 on: May 20, 2022, 11:59:46 AM »
I was feeling a bit bummed by seeing that I had worked for the last 10 months with nothing to show for it so I told my wife about it. What’s the point of working if your net worth stays the same? Might as well not even work, I thought.

Then she reminded me that 90% of people do just that all the time for their entire lives, and a significant portion of them actually lose money regularly.

MPP: do not understand the purpose of working without gainz. How do people live?

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #9178 on: May 20, 2022, 12:20:31 PM »
I was feeling a bit bummed by seeing that I had worked for the last 10 months with nothing to show for it so I told my wife about it. What’s the point of working if your net worth stays the same? Might as well not even work, I thought.

Then she reminded me that 90% of people do just that all the time for their entire lives, and a significant portion of them actually lose money regularly.

MPP: do not understand the purpose of working without gainz. How do people live?

Now imagine how much further you would be down if you hadn't been working.

hdatontodo

• Bristles
« Reply #9179 on: May 20, 2022, 12:36:51 PM »

If you are buying stocks on sale, you will have more money once the market picks back up. I remember feeling like I was treading water 10 plus years ago when the market was down. Now, the balance is 3x that.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

Plina

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9180 on: May 20, 2022, 01:40:50 PM »
Whenever possible, we will put off replacing something so that we can tell the in laws we want that for Christmas.

I do the same with my parents.

FrugalShrew

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9181 on: May 23, 2022, 11:41:37 AM »
MPP: When you think your housing is too big for your needs, but everyone else thinks it is small.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9182 on: May 23, 2022, 04:56:24 PM »
MPP: When you think your housing is too big for your needs, but everyone else thinks it is small.

+1. I often think I should have gone with a studio instead of a 1BR.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #9183 on: May 23, 2022, 11:52:50 PM »
MPP: You keep your electronics for so long support ends for them and/or they eventually become comepletely unusable.

Just today I got an email from Amazon, basically "Hey, you know how you have one of the oldest and shittiest Kindle models in existence that can still turn on? Well, it's about to get shittier, when we cut off your access to the Kindle store next month!" (there is a workaround, just mildly inconvenient, but whatever)

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9184 on: May 24, 2022, 06:34:56 AM »
MPP: You keep your electronics for so long support ends for them and/or they eventually become comepletely unusable.

Just today I got an email from Amazon, basically "Hey, you know how you have one of the oldest and shittiest Kindle models in existence that can still turn on? Well, it's about to get shittier, when we cut off your access to the Kindle store next month!" (there is a workaround, just mildly inconvenient, but whatever)

I got that same email.  I mainly use that Kindle for library books, so I don't think it's going to affect me that much since I'm already just delivering them from a web browser anyway, right?

cool7hand

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9185 on: May 24, 2022, 06:52:24 AM »
The tedium of explaining that I don't do FaceTime unless I'm on WiFi

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9186 on: May 24, 2022, 07:47:16 AM »

If you keep them long enough they become collectors items.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9187 on: May 24, 2022, 08:10:35 AM »

I sold my original Nintendo Entertainment System a few years back for more than I paid for it when new.  People are insane.  :P

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9188 on: May 24, 2022, 08:33:52 AM »

I sold my original Nintendo Entertainment System a few years back for more than I paid for it when new.  People are insane.  :P

I set my kid up with the ultimate (in my eyes) gaming center.  He can switch between like 7 of my old systems on a single TV.  He...could care less.  I'm tempted to replace the NES and SNES with those newer machines with all the games built into it and sell the old ones.

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9189 on: May 24, 2022, 06:03:49 PM »

Fortunately I've never had to explain that to people but I can imagine... "what you ONLY have 3G of data???"

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9190 on: May 24, 2022, 06:19:39 PM »

Haha. I used some serious data early in the pandemic, I live in NYC but near some really nice large parks and I would go sit outside near a pond or trees or a field of flowers or whatever and zoom with some friends, one of whom was basically homebound (paraplegic with serious medical issues who was desperate to avoid COVID) in an inner city area in another country. Sometimes I'd walk around and give them a little tour. Just to get them a little bit of "outside". And then the person who got the bills for the family plan was like, hey, so, uh... we've all been barely leaving home for the last two months so what EXACTLY is going on with our data plan right now?? And I had to own up to my 5x a week international video chats...

kanga1622

• Bristles
« Reply #9191 on: May 25, 2022, 05:01:15 AM »

Fortunately I've never had to explain that to people but I can imagine... "what you ONLY have 3G of data???"

DH and I had a shared 5GB data plan for years. What shocked the heck out of me was that when we added our son to the plan it was the same price to have 3 people on unlimited that it was for 2 lines on that tiny shared plan. So now we have unlimited plans and I may never want my kids to get their own plans…

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9192 on: May 25, 2022, 08:34:13 AM »

DH and I had a shared 5GB data plan for years. What shocked the heck out of me was that when we added our son to the plan it was the same price to have 3 people on unlimited that it was for 2 lines on that tiny shared plan. So now we have unlimited plans and I may never want my kids to get their own plans…

Why do you think I'm still on the family plan? Because I can't get comparable service for cheaper. So I send money to my sister every month for my share as she's the one who manages it.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9193 on: May 25, 2022, 11:23:32 AM »
Being too cheap to buy the new Top Is In t-shirt.

Tigerpine

• Bristles
« Reply #9194 on: May 25, 2022, 01:47:17 PM »
Being the only person for miles around to understand what solon is talking about here.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9195 on: May 25, 2022, 01:58:12 PM »
Being the only person for miles around to understand what solon is talking about here.

I wrote 'Top is in' on a yellow stickie note and put it on my t-shirt . . . so . . . I don't need to buy anything now AND I don't miss out.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9196 on: May 26, 2022, 07:49:25 AM »

Why do you think I'm still on the family plan? Because I can't get comparable service for cheaper. So I send money to my sister every month for my share as she's the one who manages it.

I do the same with my parents.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9197 on: May 26, 2022, 11:15:12 AM »

People who want to video chat off of wifi baffle me. Okay, Thomas Paine, let's see how much AT&T agrees that you're using common sense.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9198 on: May 26, 2022, 08:07:39 PM »
The amount of hoops we are having to jump through to prove we are not money launderers because we are buying a house with cash instead of a mortgage*. Amazing.

*not the US, your calculations do not apply in this situation

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #9199 on: May 26, 2022, 09:01:13 PM »
The amount of hoops we are having to jump through to prove we are not money launderers because we are buying a house with cash instead of a mortgage*. Amazing.

*not the US, your calculations do not apply in this situation

Oh, you totally have to show your work for cash in the US, as well. I had a friend who literally kept cash under the mattress and had to delay purchase to let it season in an account. Because evidently actual crooks don't know to let the money sit in an account for awhile before they do their legit stuff.