Author Topic: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)  (Read 5093624 times)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
Re: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)
« Reply #9050 on: January 01, 2022, 05:58:53 PM »
My laptop Lithium ion battery is swelling. Never a good sign. I looked for a replacement online, but there were some bad reviews about non-OEM batteries. I checked on Dell.com. Can’t find it. I contacted Dell support. “I’m sorry, your laptop is so old that we don’t support it anymore.  But can we interest you in a new computer with a fancy glossy screen?”  The computer is 6 years old, which is pretty good for a laptop, and it has been getting kind of slow, but I was hoping to eek out another 6-12 months. Maybe I’ll just steal one of the kids’ Covid laptops.
It's really frustrating that OEMs quit making the batteries and/or charge an arm and a leg, and it's really hard to find a high-quality third-party battery.  Been there, done that, several times.

Any tips on a good source for a battery? I just need something that will last 6-12 months so that I can put off the new purchase a little longer.
I wish I had some good tips, but sadly, I've never been successful in finding a high quality third-party laptop battery.

I bought one for my XPS off Amazon (seller batterymon).  It’s been fine for the last year.  Of course you can’t guarantee their quality is consistent and I didn’t run extensive tests.  But probably worth a shot

trashtalk

• Stubble
« Reply #9051 on: January 01, 2022, 06:18:06 PM »
We are infested with avocado seedlings. The climate here is favorable for them and they roll around in the compost and then appear all over the yard. I think I have 8 potted up that I’m nurturing to give away.

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9052 on: January 02, 2022, 10:11:30 AM »
We are infested with avocado seedlings. The climate here is favorable for them and they roll around in the compost and then appear all over the yard. I think I have 8 potted up that I’m nurturing to give away.

"We're gonna need a bigger toaster"
I'm jealous, love avocados!

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #9053 on: January 03, 2022, 08:37:47 AM »
I was considering a no buy January. After all, DH never spends any money at all, so if I do a no spend, we do a no spend...

It's the third and he has already bought hundreds of dollars of STEM stuff for his nieces, nephews and coding students. The  pay he receives from the students will likely cover much of it, but a) I only track spending*, so February, when the cc bill is due, is going to be a BIG month and b) we plan on moving back onboard the boat in a few months and I have no idea where he thinks he will store several Chromebooks and a bunch of robotics stuff...

BicycleB

• Walrus Stache
  • Older than the internet, but not wiser... yet
« Reply #9054 on: January 03, 2022, 12:40:09 PM »

"We're gonna need a bigger toaster"
I'm jealous, love avocados!

@sonofsven, lol!

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9055 on: January 04, 2022, 07:31:42 AM »
I try to remove the lint from the dryer after each load, except when it's cold out.
Then, I imagine the lint somehow helps to slow the inflow of cold air from the outside vent into the dryer.
I mean, maybe?

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9056 on: January 04, 2022, 08:40:54 AM »
My student loans are a couple of thousand € @ 0% and the minimum monthly payment is €45/month. Every month I have to resist paying off the balance because that monthly payment just really annoys me. It would be better if I could make one single big yearly payment but the lender doesn't allow it. It has to be monthly. I know financially it's the best decision to just pay minimum for the next 6 years or so until it's paid off but I don't waaaaaant all those annoying monthly payments waaaaahhh.

Plina

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9057 on: January 04, 2022, 09:23:59 AM »
My student loans are a couple of thousand € @ 0% and the minimum monthly payment is €45/month. Every month I have to resist paying off the balance because that monthly payment just really annoys me. It would be better if I could make one single big yearly payment but the lender doesn't allow it. It has to be monthly. I know financially it's the best decision to just pay minimum for the next 6 years or so until it's paid off but I don't waaaaaant all those annoying monthly payments waaaaahhh.

I have the same problem with 0 % at least currently with a monthly payment of about 100 euros per month. But I can pay for the whole year if I want. It is so annoying that it does not make economic sense to pay them off. I don’t think I will manage the upcoming 15ish years.

rantk81

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9058 on: January 04, 2022, 10:34:47 AM »
Can you put the remainder of the balance in the highest yielding savings account available to you, and set up recurring auto-pay on your loans, from the savings account account, in the appropriate amounts? :)

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9059 on: January 04, 2022, 06:39:59 PM »
I try to remove the lint from the dryer after each load, except when it's cold out.
Then, I imagine the lint somehow helps to slow the inflow of cold air from the outside vent into the dryer.
I mean, maybe?

That's why you remove the lint immediately before starting the dryer. You don't want summer hot air getting in either, right?

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9060 on: January 04, 2022, 06:54:30 PM »
I mean, maybe?

That's why you remove the lint immediately before starting the dryer. You don't want summer hot air getting in either, right?

Another reason to air dry: I always have to wipe the top of the dryer after emptying the lint because it gets everywhere. Then I put the rag into the washer and the cycle continues...

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9061 on: January 04, 2022, 07:18:47 PM »
I mean, maybe?

Another reason to air dry: I always have to wipe the top of the dryer after emptying the lint because it gets everywhere. Then I put the rag into the washer and the cycle continues...

I air dry all spring and summer, but I live in very rainy conditions, so I only drape all my laundry around the wood stove in the fall and winter in an emergency, like a broken dryer.
I like the crunchy towels.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9062 on: January 05, 2022, 07:04:43 AM »
I mean, maybe?

I air dry all spring and summer, but I live in very rainy conditions, so I only drape all my laundry around the wood stove in the fall and winter in an emergency, like a broken dryer.
I like the crunchy towels.

Lint was a big part of me starting to line dry everything.  I was cleaning out the lint trap one day thinking . . . where the hell does all this stuff come from . . . and then realizing that it was from my clothes being destroyed by the dryer.

Stuff does seem to last a lot longer when you line dry.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9063 on: January 05, 2022, 12:21:58 PM »
I mean, maybe?

I just tumble for a few minutes to get the wrinkles out then hang on racks in the house - the dryer doesn't generate much lint.

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #9064 on: January 05, 2022, 12:46:30 PM »

I have the same problem with 0 % at least currently with a monthly payment of about 100 euros per month. But I can pay for the whole year if I want. It is so annoying that it does not make economic sense to pay them off. I don’t think I will manage the upcoming 15ish years.

Ohh 0% is even better than my 1.875%.  I have a few thousand left, but have been not paying it off since inflation is doing the heavy lifting of eating it away for years (and there is more money to make elsewhere).  The $102 per month is annoying, but luckily the auto payment (which signing up for knocked off a fraction of a fraction of a % as well) means i don't have to think about it except once a month to plop it into excel for tracking.  Still have a few years left.  I find it really humorous that I retired with a student loan. 

Loren

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #9065 on: January 05, 2022, 02:39:59 PM »
My laptop Lithium ion battery is swelling. Never a good sign. I looked for a replacement online, but there were some bad reviews about non-OEM batteries. I checked on Dell.com. Can’t find it. I contacted Dell support. “I’m sorry, your laptop is so old that we don’t support it anymore.  But can we interest you in a new computer with a fancy glossy screen?”  The computer is 6 years old, which is pretty good for a laptop, and it has been getting kind of slow, but I was hoping to eek out another 6-12 months. Maybe I’ll just steal one of the kids’ Covid laptops.
It's really frustrating that OEMs quit making the batteries and/or charge an arm and a leg, and it's really hard to find a high-quality third-party battery.  Been there, done that, several times.

Any tips on a good source for a battery? I just need something that will last 6-12 months so that I can put off the new purchase a little longer.
I wish I had some good tips, but sadly, I've never been successful in finding a high quality third-party laptop battery.

I bought one for my XPS off Amazon (seller batterymon).  It’s been fine for the last year.  Of course you can’t guarantee their quality is consistent and I didn’t run extensive tests.  But probably worth a shot

I bought a battery from BatteryPlus for a laptop. Seems like it was a Duracell branded battery even. No problems. Was for a relative's laptop.

Mine is a 2012 Samsung. Still works dandy on Kubuntu Linux. The battery is starting to fade a little though. Hope I can find a good replacement for it too. I think if the hardware lasts I can squeeze another five years out of it. Use it for all the usual tasks - browser, media playback, picture editing, LibreOffice, etc.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9066 on: January 07, 2022, 11:25:39 AM »
Sigh. My dad gave me money for Christmas. MPP? The only string attached is he said I can’t put it in my IRA or my kids 529s. I have to actually get myself something. And I really can’t think of anything I want right now.
What about a taxable brokerage account? :)

There's a thread on here, where people write about their BEST purchases (excluding investments). Scroll down that thing like it's the Sears Catalog.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9067 on: January 07, 2022, 05:27:48 PM »
Sigh. My dad gave me money for Christmas. MPP? The only string attached is he said I can’t put it in my IRA or my kids 529s. I have to actually get myself something. And I really can’t think of anything I want right now.
What about a taxable brokerage account? :)

There's a thread on here, where people write about their BEST purchases (excluding investments). Scroll down that thing like it's the Sears Catalog.

I think I listed a certain yellow catnip filled cloth banana on that thread.... the cat still loves it. I have lost track of how many I've purchased and ultimately thrown out, half the stuffing gone. At least 5 floating around the house right now.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9068 on: January 25, 2022, 11:11:26 PM »
Today's MPP:

Contract renewal time is upon us, and I was chatting with a coworker about signing a new contract with the company. He had noticed that his new contract stated the same salary that he is currently receiving, though we are supposed to receive a COL increase by a certain percentage each year. He asked me if I had received a salary increase in my new contract, and I had to sheepishly admit that I don't know. He then suggested that I go to HR and ask for a copy of my signed contract so I can take a picture of it, and I had to sheepishly admit that I was too lazy to do even that because I don't really care that much about my salary. Also, this company is a good one and in my experience has treated its employees more than fairly, and I've always gotten my salary increase...I think. It made for a bit of an awkward conversation.

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9069 on: January 26, 2022, 05:39:43 AM »
Today's MPP:

Contract renewal time is upon us, and I was chatting with a coworker about signing a new contract with the company. He had noticed that his new contract stated the same salary that he is currently receiving, though we are supposed to receive a COL increase by a certain percentage each year. He asked me if I had received a salary increase in my new contract, and I had to sheepishly admit that I don't know. He then suggested that I go to HR and ask for a copy of my signed contract so I can take a picture of it, and I had to sheepishly admit that I was too lazy to do even that because I don't really care that much about my salary. Also, this company is a good one and in my experience has treated its employees more than fairly, and I've always gotten my salary increase...I think. It made for a bit of an awkward conversation.

That reminds me of a conversation I had with my husband the other day. I'm FIREd and he still works at a job he loves. I mentioned that I think he's due to get paid this Friday, and he said he didn't know... because the exact timing just doesn't matter. Thankfully, we're not in a position to be desperately awaiting his paycheck so we can get groceries.

BicycleB

• Walrus Stache
  • Older than the internet, but not wiser... yet
« Reply #9070 on: January 26, 2022, 09:27:11 AM »
I mean, maybe?

Hahaha, @Morning Glory, I see what you did there. Made my mind spin. :)

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #9071 on: January 26, 2022, 09:45:22 AM »
Today's MPP:

That reminds me of a conversation I had with my husband the other day. I'm FIREd and he still works at a job he loves. I mentioned that I think he's due to get paid this Friday, and he said he didn't know... because the exact timing just doesn't matter. Thankfully, we're not in a position to be desperately awaiting his paycheck so we can get groceries.

DH has no clue when he gets paid.

He will likely be switching to contact work soon. It is easy to set his dream hourly wage, with a bit of a bump from current gross. Much harder to know how low he is willing to go....

Plina

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9072 on: January 26, 2022, 09:54:10 AM »
Today's MPP:

I have a directly opposite approach. I always get paid 25th if it is not during the weekend. In the morning I transfer the money that are not going to the bills to a saving or investment account. So before the stock exchange open I have set my buy orders. The bills are set to be withdrawn the 26th. So basically I have about 30-50 dollars left the 26th for same spontaneous digital transfers. No lazy employees for me.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9073 on: January 26, 2022, 10:42:14 AM »
This year, my employer switched our paychecks from monthly to biweekly (26 pay periods per year).  What I've heard is that it makes things easier for the hourly/part-time employees.

It's annoying because we budget monthly, and yet our income will no longer match up neatly.  Grrr.

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9074 on: January 26, 2022, 11:12:49 AM »
This year, my employer switched our paychecks from monthly to biweekly (26 pay periods per year).  What I've heard is that it makes things easier for the hourly/part-time employees.

It's annoying because we budget monthly, and yet our income will no longer match up neatly.  Grrr.

My husband gets paid biweekly and I'm paid twice monthly.  I just budget with two of his paychecks/month, and then the two or three months a year that we get THREE paychecks in a month it's exciting, haha.  I add the money to my chunky longer-term funds in our budget.

It would be really annoying to switch from one to the other, though.  And your individual paychecks are smaller.

Sandi_k

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9075 on: January 26, 2022, 01:16:29 PM »

So get two weeks ahead in your bank account, so you have the entire "monthly nut" ready to disperse. Then, when the bi-weekly deposit happens, you already have two weeks of cushion in it, and you're always two weeks ahead.

That allows you to go back to monthly bill pay - which I agree is much nicer!

NorthernIkigai

• Bristles
  • Connoisseur of Leisure
« Reply #9076 on: January 26, 2022, 01:40:31 PM »

So get two weeks ahead in your bank account, so you have the entire "monthly nut" ready to disperse. Then, when the bi-weekly deposit happens, you already have two weeks of cushion in it, and you're always two weeks ahead.

That allows you to go back to monthly bill pay - which I agree is much nicer!

We both get paid monthly, but on different dates. We only do the shuffling-money-into-the-household-bills-and-groceries-account move at the start of each month.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #9077 on: January 26, 2022, 02:28:39 PM »

My husband gets paid biweekly and I'm paid twice monthly.  I just budget with two of his paychecks/month, and then the two or three months a year that we get THREE paychecks in a month it's exciting, haha.  I add the money to my chunky longer-term funds in our budget.

It would be really annoying to switch from one to the other, though.  And your individual paychecks are smaller.

I did this when I was broke. That occasional third check was the only thing that ever made it to savings, even if it was often drained for car repairs or such by the time the next one came around...

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9078 on: January 26, 2022, 04:51:18 PM »
I changed my W4 and retirement withholding at the end of the year to max out my accounts and get closer to even on my taxes. Remembered to change my retirement accounts back but not my W4. I have an extra $4k going towards my federal taxes this month *headdesk*

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9079 on: January 26, 2022, 06:22:44 PM »
Today's MPP:

DH has no clue when he gets paid.

He will likely be switching to contact work soon. It is easy to set his dream hourly wage, with a bit of a bump from current gross. Much harder to know how low he is willing to go....

I also have no clue what I get paid or when I get paid.

To make it even more complicated, my salary is paid out in RMB, which stays the same every month. However, the company offers a benefit to expats by offering to wire transfer as much of your salary as you want to your home country for free (company pays the transfer fees), so I've opted to transfer 100% of my salary since we live off my husband's salary here. The amount that hits my Canadian account changes from month to month depending on the exchange rate. So I really have no idea how much money I'll be receiving each month. Also, the payment may hit my account anytime between the 10th and the 30th of each month.

As long as I get paid an amount that is within a certain range, I don't sweat the details.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9080 on: January 27, 2022, 05:17:05 AM »

I've been bi-weekly for years.  What I've got set up is basically creating a hypothetical checking register in Excel for the year and that lets me know which bills need to be paid from which check.  I've reached the point where everything is automated now, so payday is just a matter of checking to make sure everything went where it was supposed to go. 

« Last Edit: January 27, 2022, 05:19:15 AM by Sugaree »

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9081 on: January 27, 2022, 12:47:00 PM »
When filling in W-2 information in free tax software, I get this popup message:

Box 12 Amount Seems High
The amount(s) entered in Box 12 of this W-2 are more than the amount of wages entered in Box 1 of this W-2. If this is correct, simply continue with your return by clicking Continue below. If this is NOT correct, go back to the Wages (Form W-2) screen, correct either the Box 1 or Box 12 amount, and save the change(s) you make.

"You invest more than you keep, so something is clearly wrong."

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #9082 on: January 27, 2022, 12:52:25 PM »
Well done. Kind of like the "investment calculator won't let me slide past a 20% savings rate" thing but even more impressive.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9083 on: January 27, 2022, 06:11:22 PM »

Box 12 Amount Seems High
The amount(s) entered in Box 12 of this W-2 are more than the amount of wages entered in Box 1 of this W-2. If this is correct, simply continue with your return by clicking Continue below. If this is NOT correct, go back to the Wages (Form W-2) screen, correct either the Box 1 or Box 12 amount, and save the change(s) you make.

Dangit DadJokes...  I have been retired for 3 years so I had to look up a W-2 form to get the joke.  I'll never get those minutes back :-)

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #9084 on: January 28, 2022, 09:55:11 AM »
I forgot to consider that CA taxed the HSA seed money when I adjusted the 401k contributions two weeks ago. It doesn't matter, that isn't enough of a difference to max out the 401k any earlier, but still, on likes to be right, ya know?

DeniseNJ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9085 on: January 28, 2022, 10:25:27 AM »
I forgot to consider that CA taxed the HSA seed money when I adjusted the 401k contributions two weeks ago. It doesn't matter, that isn't enough of a difference to max out the 401k any earlier, but still, on likes to be right, ya know?
You forgot bc only CA and NJ tax you HSA contributions.  Dirty dogs.  I don't know why I let dh talk me into moving to NJ.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #9086 on: January 28, 2022, 11:01:43 AM »
You forgot bc only CA and NJ tax you HSA contributions.  Dirty dogs.  I don't know why I let dh talk me into moving to NJ.

Since I have only ever had an HSA in CA, that isn't the reason I forgot. I literally just looked at the  straight up difference between 60% and 80% of gross and decided that the last paycheck covered the difference, plus we would bring home something for the tax savings. Well, since the previous check had the first quarter's seed money, that tax savings was more significant that I expected. I don't mind CA taxing the contributions, its the capital gains, when our HSA provider doesn't track basis. The built an office on campus when megacorp switched to them as a provider, but they can't be bothered to add in basis tracking?!?

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9087 on: January 28, 2022, 11:59:35 AM »

Box 12 Amount Seems High

Dangit DadJokes...  I have been retired for 3 years so I had to look up a W-2 form to get the joke.  I'll never get those minutes back :-)

Mustachian People Problem: I, as a German with no more connection to the US than the internet, probably know more about US savings/retirement taxes than the average American.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #9088 on: January 28, 2022, 12:59:02 PM »

Box 12 Amount Seems High

Mustachian People Problem: I, as a German with no more connection to the US than the internet, probably know more about US savings/retirement taxes than the average American.
That's the way it is on a lot of things with regards to the average American.

Fish Sweet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9089 on: January 28, 2022, 02:20:59 PM »
I almost spent $10 at Starbucks today to get the equivalent of two free drinks worth of rewards. Would've been a good deal... but I just didn't feel like thinking so hard about what to buy to get exactly $10 worth, and did I even want to eat/drink that much sugar today anyway, their meal offerings are only okay and not worth the money, and what would I even want to spend my reward points on down the line, it's been so long since I've gone to Starbucks that I have no idea what seasonal offerings they have and...

Anyway, spending the money involved too much thinking so I stopped and did not. :) Laziness can be a great best money-saving tool.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9090 on: January 29, 2022, 04:02:56 AM »
Anyway, spending the money involved too much thinking so I stopped and did not. :) Laziness can be a great best money-saving tool.
Ahaha, it surely is!
Every time people ask me if I don't want to do X, e.g. travel, I think about how stressy it is to put everything in the luggage, arrive at the airport and all that things happening there (or 10 hous of bus travel) and getting used to the hotel and...
I say no. It's more relaxing to chill at home.

Even worse is "shopping" as a hobby. It's something I can't get my head around however I try. Do all the work of looking around, carrying the stuff, finding a place for it and ultimately throw it away - you would need to pay me quite a sum to make me do it, not let me lose some of my precious little workers!

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9091 on: January 29, 2022, 11:22:19 AM »
I almost spent $10 at Starbucks today to get the equivalent of two free drinks worth of rewards. Would've been a good deal... but I just didn't feel like thinking so hard about what to buy to get exactly $10 worth, and did I even want to eat/drink that much sugar today anyway, their meal offerings are only okay and not worth the money, and what would I even want to spend my reward points on down the line, it's been so long since I've gone to Starbucks that I have no idea what seasonal offerings they have and...

Starbucks selected the $10 amount very carefully.  There are a lot of $4.75 or $4.95 drinks on the menu so that two drinks are less than $10. 

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9092 on: February 01, 2022, 09:49:06 AM »
Ahaha, it surely is!
Every time people ask me if I don't want to do X, e.g. travel, I think about how stressy it is to put everything in the luggage, arrive at the airport and all that things happening there (or 10 hous of bus travel) and getting used to the hotel and...
I say no. It's more relaxing to chill at home.

Even worse is "shopping" as a hobby. It's something I can't get my head around however I try. Do all the work of looking around, carrying the stuff, finding a place for it and ultimately throw it away - you would need to pay me quite a sum to make me do it, not let me lose some of my precious little workers!

And in our corner of the world at least half of the year it would be too cold to go without a coat but if you're carrying stuff and going into shops you're going to be hot again and you'll want to take your coat and your gloves, scarves and hat off. Then you need to go through the whole ritual again and try not to loose a glove somewhere in the shop! And then a few months a year it's suddenly hot and you need to slather on suncream every 5 minutes or you'll burn.

And at the end of the days your legs are swollen from standing around, and your feet and shoulders hurt because they're not used to carrying this much stuff. A hike would be less exhausting!

There's one type of shopping trip I like. Our local bookshop has a cafe in the basement. We go there, order a coffee, get a table, take off coats/handbag/winter gear, take turns to browse the shop while the other sits down with the stuff, finish our coffee, pay for books and go home. Unfortunately due to Covid this hasn't happened in a loooong time. The coffee is not cheap there, but it's very good, and the profit margin on the coffee and treats allows to bookshop to keep their large shop in a prime location in the city, so it's for a good cause.

rantk81

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9093 on: February 04, 2022, 06:10:02 AM »
And in our corner of the world at least half of the year it would be too cold to go without a coat but if you're carrying stuff and going into shops you're going to be hot again and you'll want to take your coat and your gloves, scarves and hat off. Then you need to go through the whole ritual again and try not to loose a glove somewhere in the shop! And then a few months a year it's suddenly hot and you need to slather on suncream every 5 minutes or you'll burn.

Oh that is a HUGE pet-peeve of mine!  Stores that crank up their heaters to a ridiculously high level in winter, when everyone is wearing a coat.  Do I really want to be walking around shopping in an 80F-heated store, while wearing my coat (because it's far below freezing outside)?  It's so ridiculous.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9094 on: February 04, 2022, 08:03:42 AM »

Oh that is a HUGE pet-peeve of mine!  Stores that crank up their heaters to a ridiculously high level in winter, when everyone is wearing a coat.  Do I really want to be walking around shopping in an 80F-heated store, while wearing my coat (because it's far below freezing outside)?  It's so ridiculous.
The ac in summer is just as bad, especially if you've been outside a while and gotten used to the heat.

SpaceCow

• Stubble
« Reply #9095 on: February 04, 2022, 09:22:36 AM »

This is why I just leave my coat in the car. Sometimes my loved ones tease me for walking around without a coat, but if you're just walking from the parking lot to the store, what's the difference? It's not the end of the world being cold for a minute or two.

Plina

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9096 on: February 04, 2022, 11:25:02 AM »

The ac in summer is just as bad, especially if you've been outside a while and gotten used to the heat.

What is more ridiculous is that coffee shops are like fridges. I have walked out of several without ordering because they have been so cold I could not imagine sitting there freezing.

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9097 on: February 04, 2022, 09:48:29 PM »
I use personal capital to aggregate my net worth.  It’s annoying me right now with a 1 more step, add your home message.  I rent right now, I have no home to add.

LD_TAndK

• Bristles
« Reply #9098 on: February 05, 2022, 02:48:44 AM »
I have so many goddamn credit cards I have to refer to a spreadsheet to remember which one to use for maximum rewards in which category.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9099 on: February 05, 2022, 07:41:52 AM »
I use personal capital to aggregate my net worth.  It’s annoying me right now with a 1 more step, add your home message.  I rent right now, I have no home to add.

Message pops up repeatedly? Put down that you have a home, value $1