Author Topic: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)  (Read 5086720 times)

Alfred J Quack

• Bristles
Re: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)
« Reply #8200 on: December 28, 2020, 08:07:46 AM »
I just ran the year end numbers and I'm $300 short of a milestone NW increase.

There is still time to sell something for $300 this week!

If you sell something worth $300 and receive $300 cash, your net worth doesn't change.

You need to sell something worth $300 to some sucker for $600

Not too late to holiday guilt trip some unsuspecting relatives for $300 worth of gifts, either!

Look, if anyone needs a $300 NW boost, I'll happily provide a revocable gift.  Please allow 4 days for delivery and if you don't get it, consider the gift revoked!
That sounds like something my bank would do in their fiscal report...

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8201 on: December 28, 2020, 08:16:24 AM »
Time's a-wastin. What'll it be, @Uturn ? A ridiculous marked up sale of your possessions, imaginary gifts from random forum members, extorting your guilty family, or... just random market movement on the last working day of 2020? ;)

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #8202 on: December 28, 2020, 08:51:13 AM »
Time's a-wastin. What'll it be, @Uturn ? A ridiculous marked up sale of your possessions, imaginary gifts from random forum members, extorting your guilty family, or... just random market movement on the last working day of 2020? ;)

What about CP distributions? Should have waited until the end of the year to run year end calculations.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #8203 on: December 29, 2020, 12:29:22 AM »

That would depend on if you count the 300 worth of stuff that is sold to your networth. I would guess that most of the people don’t count their stuff when they are counting their networth.

A lot of us here don't have excessive value in "stuff".  Like I'm pretty sure a robber would not be able to liquidate my physical possessions for more than 1% of my NW.  So we kinda ignore the value as it's not worth the time to actually mark to market.  But if you are close to a NW milestone, I'd absolutely go "oh yeah and my car is worth $1k so that bumps me over... YAY.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #8204 on: December 29, 2020, 12:30:47 AM »

Look, if anyone needs a $300 NW boost, I'll happily provide a revocable gift.  Please allow 4 days for delivery and if you don't get it, consider the gift revoked!
That sounds like something my bank would do in their fiscal report...

Wonder how GAAP treats revocable trusts.   They have SOME value even if the value isn't certain.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8205 on: December 29, 2020, 05:11:05 AM »
I got some gift cards for xmas and now I don't know what I want to spend them on.  I usually keep a list of things that I want to save up for, but nothing on that list is really all that appealing now that I actually have some money to throw at them. 

Uturn

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8206 on: December 30, 2020, 06:46:49 AM »

I just checked market movement since my last post, and got the bump.  Also, I realized I get paid on 15 and 31, not 1 and 15.  So I have another 2020 paycheck coming tomorrow.  I think it might be safe to dance naked on the table to celebrate the milestone, but I will hold off until tomorrow just to be sure.

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8207 on: December 30, 2020, 06:49:50 AM »

I just checked market movement since my last post, and got the bump.  Also, I realized I get paid on 15 and 31, not 1 and 15.  So I have another 2020 paycheck coming tomorrow.  I think it might be safe to dance naked on the table to celebrate the milestone, but I will hold off until tomorrow just to be sure.

Mr. Market came through for you! Happy new year and have a great table dance!

NorCal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8208 on: December 30, 2020, 07:06:05 AM »
This falls more in the category of "good problems to have", but this seemed like the best place for it instead of starting a new thread.

My wife is a new partner at a small law firm for 2020, so it's our first year doing quarterly estimated taxes.  Essentially, the law firms full profit & loss (and all it's vagaries) flow through to our individual taxes.

The firm ended up distributing more year-end cash than we expected.  This leaves us with several challenges:

1.  All of my work estimating taxes was waay off.  I have about 2 weeks to figure out how to handle our estimated tax payment. 

2.  The firm received a PPP loan during the early days of the pandemic when things seemed much more dire.  Our 2020 compensation is now contingent upon the PPP loan being forgiven.  We actually had to sign a document that we will return a significant portion of our 2020 earnings if this PPP loan is not forgiven.  Not only this, how the PPP loans will be taxed is in the process of being changed (I think this was included in one of those bills currently sitting on Trump's desk).

Still, I can't complain too much about getting unexpected money.  Even if I might have to pay it back next year.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8209 on: December 31, 2020, 09:04:46 AM »
It's 1am on the 1st in my time zone. I'm awake updating my monthly spreadsheet. I want to knock out both IRAs for the year, but it's not the 1st yet in the US so Vanguad won't let me contribute to 2021 yet.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8210 on: December 31, 2020, 09:23:48 AM »
It's 1am on the 1st in my time zone. I'm awake updating my monthly spreadsheet. I want to knock out both IRAs for the year, but it's not the 1st yet in the US so Vanguad won't let me contribute to 2021 yet.

I think that might be the mustachiest of the mustache problems.

And I'm a little jealous...

Tinker

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8211 on: December 31, 2020, 09:52:37 AM »
Copied my spending spreadsheet over for 2021.
Took about 3 minutes max, but i still feel like there must be a way to automate this through templates.

Programmer mind: never spend 3 minutes doing something by hand if you can spend an entire day failing to automate it

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #8212 on: December 31, 2020, 10:15:11 AM »
Took about 3 minutes max, but i still feel like there must be a way to automate this through templates.

Programmer mind: never spend 3 minutes doing something by hand if you can spend an entire day failing to automate it

My husband has a reputation as both the best programmer and the best Excel manipulator on his team. But if I ask him to do either for me, if he can't figure it out in 5 minutes, he tells me to Google it. As frustrating as this is in the moment, I am proud of him for learning this lesson!

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8213 on: December 31, 2020, 10:17:02 AM »
My husband has a reputation as both the best programmer and the best Excel manipulator on his team. But if I ask him to do either for me, if he can't figure it out in 5 minutes, he tells me to Google it. As frustrating as this is in the moment, I am proud of him for learning this lesson!

And that would be EXACTLY why he's the best Excel manipulator on his team...  :)

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8214 on: December 31, 2020, 10:37:08 AM »
I already setup my 2021 file. My problem is that I do my monthly updates the weekend after everything posts, ie the mortgage payment. And I highly doubt that's going to happen by Saturday.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8215 on: December 31, 2020, 11:02:28 AM »

Truth.  My spreadsheet is currently automated, but it's been a work in process for 5+ years now. 

rantk81

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8216 on: December 31, 2020, 11:44:56 AM »

Truth.  My spreadsheet is currently automated, but it's been a work in process for 5+ years now.

Yep!  I've got a Google Sheets spreadsheet that tracks my net worth in real-time based on current value of stocks, funds, etc.

AerynLee

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8217 on: December 31, 2020, 01:50:59 PM »
I keep a spreadsheet projecting our taxes for the year. With three paychecks each left, DH and I are projected to be ~$600 away from maxing out the 12% tax bracket even with putting ~$9k in each of our 401ks (could have been higher but we were preparing to buy a new house). But that does not include bonuses that we are both expecting to get or any overtime DH may get (minimal, but could be some). I have no idea what my bonus will be since this is only my second year with the company and there are large (positive) changes coming at the end of the year. We just moved and still own our old home so I'm reluctant to just bump up our 401k's since I don't know how much we'll need to stay in the 12% bracket or how long we'll own both houses. We've been maxing out our ROTH IRA's so I could recharacterize some of those, but we're way behind on the ROTHs and trying to catch up

TLDR: We made enough money that we may need to either not put as much in our ROTHS or pay 22% Federal income tax

Update: We ended up being ~$900 above the 12% tax bracket with our last paychecks. Then today my Boss messaged me my year end bonus amount, just over $5k. Check to be left on my desk today to count as 2020 income. Luckily we are a CPA firm so Boss is willing to do anything legal with withholdings and 401ks on the final bonus checks. So I had her put everything after covering FICA taxes into the 401k. So I get no actual bonus check and we are now ~1300 over the 12% tax bracket

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8218 on: December 31, 2020, 02:47:47 PM »
With today’s record close, I might have hit a major NW milestone but my 401k won’t update until 6am tomorrow so I have to wait to check.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 03:11:40 PM by Fomerly known as something »

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
  • Engineer, explorer, investor
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #8219 on: December 31, 2020, 03:40:54 PM »
Since they normally pay every other Friday and their bank will be closed, a client “helpfully” paid their invoice a day early today rather than let it process through on the 4th... now my careful tax optimizations have been thrown off by having an extra two weeks of earnings in the year!

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8220 on: December 31, 2020, 07:22:32 PM »

Madfientist did all that hard work so I don't have to.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8221 on: December 31, 2020, 08:50:03 PM »
Since they normally pay every other Friday and their bank will be closed, a client “helpfully” paid their invoice a day early today rather than let it process through on the 4th... now my careful tax optimizations have been thrown off by having an extra two weeks of earnings in the year!

Maybe you took the day off and didn't notice the check came in?   :)

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #8222 on: December 31, 2020, 10:19:25 PM »
With today’s record close, I might have hit a major NW milestone but my 401k won’t update until 6am tomorrow so I have to wait to check.
OMG I know!  So frustrating!

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8223 on: December 31, 2020, 10:43:27 PM »
OMG I know!  So frustrating!
I've got one that won't update until the next business day.   So, Monday for me.

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #8224 on: December 31, 2020, 10:58:51 PM »

Perhaps if it were still a paper check... I actually did take the whole week off so that would have been true.

It’s really a good problem to have! 

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8225 on: December 31, 2020, 11:21:11 PM »

Perhaps if it were still a paper check... I actually did take the whole week off so that would have been true.

Yeah, pop onto Facebook and complain that "people are sending me large sums of money faster than I want them to."   

I bet you get LOTS of sympathy!  :)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 06:43:59 PM by SwordGuy »

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #8226 on: January 01, 2021, 04:51:56 AM »

Yeah, pop onto Facebook and complain that "people are sending me large sums of money faster than I want the to."   

I couldn’t even get any sympathy for DW. That’s why I came here :)

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8227 on: January 01, 2021, 08:17:00 AM »

Yeah, pop onto Facebook and complain that "people are sending me large sums of money faster than I want the to."   

I couldn’t even get any sympathy for DW. That’s why I came here :)

Haha. My company also paid us a day early (presumably, I haven't actually checked yet) but they let us know a few months in advance so we were able to adjust our HSA/401k witholdings accordingly for the extra 2020 paycheck.

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #8228 on: January 01, 2021, 12:48:58 PM »
Haha. My company also paid us a day early (presumably, I haven't actually checked yet) but they let us know a few months in advance so we were able to adjust our HSA/401k witholdings accordingly for the extra 2020 paycheck.

I hadn't really thought about that, but since they pay my invoices the same day they do payroll, it's probable that all of their employees had 27 pay periods this year. If any of them are mustachians trying to max out their 401k they probably had even more problems than I did.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8229 on: January 01, 2021, 02:52:50 PM »

I hadn't really thought about that, but since they pay my invoices the same day they do payroll, it's probable that all of their employees had 27 pay periods this year. If any of them are mustachians trying to max out their 401k they probably had even more problems than I did.

Nah, any payroll system worth anything knows to do a hard cutoff when the contribution limit is hit, regardless of what the employee has elected. It'd be absolute madness otherwise.

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #8230 on: January 01, 2021, 03:24:38 PM »
Nah, any payroll system worth anything knows to do a hard cutoff when the contribution limit is hit, regardless of what the employee has elected. It'd be absolute madness otherwise.

DW accidentally went over the limit the second year we were married. We’d bumped her contribution to get the full max after getting married mid year and when we switched it  it took an additional pay period before they finished the paperwork and we didn’t catch it. They just sent her a letter explaining she’s over contributed and a small refund with the corrected w2.

Sandi_k

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8231 on: January 01, 2021, 04:11:27 PM »
The paycheck details haven't posted yet. Normally, they post 3-4 days prior to the first of the month. Not this month...

It's an MPP because I've now diverted my retirement contributions to a post-tax account, which allows me to do monthly in-service rollovers to my Roth at Fidelity. But since it's post-tax, I had to reduce the dollar amount I contribute by 1/3, since we're in the 24% Fed bracket, and 9.3% CA bracket.

I am now also back to paying FICA taxes, as I'd topped out in October 2020, so the past two months were much more cash in hand.

I want to update my spreadsheets!!

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8232 on: January 03, 2021, 10:48:21 AM »
My company paid us early since Friday was a holiday.  I had already maxed my 401k so I missed out on company match for this pay period.

dblaace

• Bristles
« Reply #8233 on: January 03, 2021, 04:19:53 PM »
My company paid us early since Friday was a holiday.  I had already maxed my 401k so I missed out on company match for this pay period.
I'm at 19,334 with another pay period left so I'll miss out on a little of the match.

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8234 on: January 03, 2021, 06:17:04 PM »
We update our investment tracking spreadsheet every 2-4 months. Just updated it on 12/31 to get an end-of-year view.

Are any of the rest of you looking at your numbers and thinking "What did I do wrong in this spreadsheet? This looks too good to be true."
« Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 06:59:49 PM by Miss Piggy »

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #8235 on: January 03, 2021, 06:40:02 PM »
We update our investment tracking spreadsheet every 2-4 months. Just updated it on 1/31 to get an end-of-year view.

Are any of the rest of you looking at your numbers and thinking "What did I do wrong in this spreadsheet? This looks too good to be true."

I literally posted almost these exact words in my journal's EOY update yesterday.  My spreadsheet is so simple though, it's hard to know what could still be wrong after double and triple checking....

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #8236 on: January 03, 2021, 06:41:23 PM »
We update our investment tracking spreadsheet every 2-4 months. Just updated it on 1/31 to get an end-of-year view.

I literally posted almost these exact words in my journal's EOY update yesterday.  My spreadsheet is so simple though, it's hard to know what could still be wrong after double and triple checking....

I thought we might reach one milestone, but I wasn't accounting for the astronomical growth of what in during the dip. We were much closer to the next milestone yet.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8237 on: January 03, 2021, 07:38:50 PM »

I thought we might reach one milestone, but I wasn't accounting for the astronomical growth of what in during the dip. We were much closer to the next milestone yet.
I have to wonder how much of the gains are due to the various stimulus/debt bills, to the tune of trillions of dollars.  I've been blessed to be able to continue working through the year, so those stimulus payments went straight into my Vanguard account.  And I wonder how much of the money was used to prop up businesses like restaurants that will eventually fail anyway because they can't operate normally.

RobertFromTX

• Stubble
« Reply #8238 on: January 03, 2021, 11:19:00 PM »
Looks like I'm getting some stimulus money tomorrow. I'm in that small window where I get some but not all of the $600 due to 2019 income above 75k.  Can't complain but got a good laugh at receiving a whopping $49.35.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8239 on: January 03, 2021, 11:32:29 PM »

I have to wonder how much of the gains are due to the various stimulus/debt bills, to the tune of trillions of dollars.  I've been blessed to be able to continue working through the year, so those stimulus payments went straight into my Vanguard account.  And I wonder how much of the money was used to prop up businesses like restaurants that will eventually fail anyway because they can't operate normally.
It's no secret that retail investors poured billions of dollars into the stock market over the last year. It turns out that if you send people home and take away their hobbies, they'll turn to stonks for entertainment.

amberfocus

• Stubble
  • Hell hath no fury like a Mustachian with FU money
« Reply #8240 on: January 04, 2021, 03:07:19 AM »

My MPP is that I’m aiming to FIRE in 2021, but would like to max out my employer-sponsored tax-advantaged accounts before I go. Due to the early paycheck falling into tax year 2020, my 2021 payroll deductions are now pushed out by two weeks, which delays my retirement date.

Long-suffering sigh.

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #8241 on: January 04, 2021, 10:06:32 AM »

My MPP is that I’m aiming to FIRE in 2021, but would like to max out my employer-sponsored tax-advantaged accounts before I go. Due to the early paycheck falling into tax year 2020, my 2021 payroll deductions are now pushed out by two weeks, which delays my retirement date.

Long-suffering sigh.
That does sound rough :)

parkerk

• Bristles
« Reply #8242 on: January 07, 2021, 05:58:13 PM »
My MPP today is that I'm annoyed on behalf of my MIL that she spent money on Christmas gifts for us (which she wasn't even supposed to buy, as we had agreed, but she had to get us "just a little something") and they don't fit.  They're from Costco so I figured returns would be simple, but apparently she bought them like 10 months ago (what? why?) so without a receipt you only get credit for the last sale price, which was a whopping $4 for one item.  THEN I find out that the other item wasn't even bought at Costco in this country, but in the US last time she was there (see above re: 10 months ago).  So she spent probably $30 or so on items that are totally useless to us.  I know it's petty to be annoyed by something so minor and that was supposed to be a nice gesture but I just despise the waste of money. We agreed no gifts!  Stick to the plan!

Oh well.  The clothes might fit my BIL and SIL so we'll pass them on and hopefully it won't be a total waste.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8243 on: January 07, 2021, 11:46:21 PM »
A counselor told me once that the utility of the gift is not the point, and that I should focus on the intent behind the gift.

Don’t worry, I’d be irritated, too, while trying to remember and internalize my counselor’s advice.

amberfocus

• Stubble
  • Hell hath no fury like a Mustachian with FU money
« Reply #8244 on: January 08, 2021, 05:50:45 AM »
My bonus, which I originally thought was going to post on Monday, actually posted on Friday, meaning that I missed out on buying at the 1.5% dip earlier this week. I guess the markets could still tumble today, but I. Am. Disappoint! I really wanted me some sweet, sweet serendipitous marketing timing. Pout.

Plina

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8245 on: January 08, 2021, 03:17:26 PM »
I flew back today from my parents that live in the other end of the country. Due to a water saving device, that I got my parents to buy and my mother didn’t like so she gave it to me, they checked my hand luggage and realized it was to heavy. I normally fly only with handluggage and now especially because I wanted to spend as little time at the airport as possible. I have been flying the route for 20 years and often dreamed about loosing the luggage on my way to my parents so I can go shopping on the airline or travel insurance money because that is not applicable when you fly home. I either have hiking clothes or ski clothes in my luggage so some new clothes would be nice. Today, when there are very few flights they managed to loose my luggage on my way home. It was not even locked because I had not bothered to take the lock with me because I had not planned to check it in and I forgot that it had another lock that I am not using. And I got to spend extra time at the airport to fill in the papers about the bag!

GreenToTheCore

• Bristles
« Reply #8246 on: January 08, 2021, 04:12:14 PM »
A counselor told me once that the utility of the gift is not the point, and that I should focus on the intent behind the gift.

Don’t worry, I’d be irritated, too, while trying to remember and internalize my counselor’s advice.

Glad to know I'm not alone. My logical voice is frustrated by the waste and inefficiency, my emotional voice says to not be so ungrateful. Then the dissonance causes stress.
We're slowly making progress to get the family to default to food, chocolate is always accepted, but darn if we still don't get random trinkets thrown in.

The best one: weeks within doing a house purge, what shows up in the mail? A specialized loaf pan with a decorative shape with nooks and crannies that will be oh-so-fun to clean. "But it's functional!" "Yes, it has a purpose, but I already have 2 loaf pans. It will be a miracle if the mold releases and the top doesn't crumble to bits as soon as you take it out." Progress seems to come in many phases. 

GreenToTheCore

• Bristles
« Reply #8247 on: January 08, 2021, 04:16:53 PM »
I flew back today from my parents that live in the other end of the country. Due to a water saving device, that I got my parents to buy and my mother didn’t like so she gave it to me, they checked my hand luggage and realized it was to heavy. I normally fly only with handluggage and now especially because I wanted to spend as little time at the airport as possible. I have been flying the route for 20 years and often dreamed about loosing the luggage on my way to my parents so I can go shopping on the airline or travel insurance money because that is not applicable when you fly home. I either have hiking clothes or ski clothes in my luggage so some new clothes would be nice. Today, when there are very few flights they managed to loose my luggage on my way home. It was not even locked because I had not bothered to take the lock with me because I had not planned to check it in and I forgot that it had another lock that I am not using. And I got to spend extra time at the airport to fill in the papers about the bag!

Dang, I feel frustrated just reading about it. So sorry you're having to deal with that debacle!
I've always wanted to get a job in the background of an airport to see how this stuff happens. There's gotta be a different way.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8248 on: January 09, 2021, 04:09:09 PM »
Trying to update my spreadsheet, go to grab the number for the 401k.... and it's in transition to the new management company. Which I don't have access to yet. So I've got a massive hole in my spreadsheet for the next 2 weeks.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #8249 on: January 10, 2021, 02:18:34 AM »
Trying to update my spreadsheet, go to grab the number for the 401k.... and it's in transition to the new management company. Which I don't have access to yet. So I've got a massive hole in my spreadsheet for the next 2 weeks.

Just estimate and HIGHLIGHT THAT CELL RED FOR YOU DONE F*ED UP