Author Topic: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)  (Read 5086689 times)

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)
« Reply #8100 on: December 06, 2020, 10:04:43 AM »
Makes sense now! I tend to use a lot of toothpaste so I always have it in my check-in luggage, not my carry-on.

My parents also flatten out toothpaste tubes with the blunt end of a comb, then roll up the empty part and secure it with a binder clip for good measure.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #8101 on: December 06, 2020, 04:10:54 PM »
DH has to start going to the office once in awhile because one of the colleagues who was in the rotation to be physically present is equally mustachian and one of his roommates works in healthcare and has been exposed to COVID. We only have one roommate, who works from home and is generally at least as cautious as us.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #8102 on: December 06, 2020, 10:03:50 PM »
Please educate me why there is a need to transfer toothpaste from one tube to another?

Why not just use the original tube and replace with a fresh one as necessary?

Signed,
Someone who cuts open toothpaste tubes to scrape out every bit of toothpaste from the inside

I have done with before as well :) I’ve also used a rolling pin to completely flatten the tube which is nearly as effective and a bit less messy.

I do use the handle of my toothbrush to flatten the tube

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8103 on: December 07, 2020, 04:18:12 AM »
Hmm, I never considered the regular toothpaste tube to be much of hassle to bring when travelling, but I see your point!

A 'regular' sized toothpaste tube is too big for airline travel -- TSA limit is 3.4 ounces
LOL I remembered the illogical stuff around it. Like "you can't bring Stuff size A, but 3 of size B (half of A) is totally okay". Because there is no way a terroirist might use the content of more than one package or even go - gasp! - for multi-component explosives.

I think it took then 2 years to change that one?

Or that you can't bring Liquids in - except you have bought it at the airport. Because nobody would replace the content, right?

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #8104 on: December 07, 2020, 09:20:42 AM »
Hmm, I never considered the regular toothpaste tube to be much of hassle to bring when travelling, but I see your point!

A 'regular' sized toothpaste tube is too big for airline travel -- TSA limit is 3.4 ounces
LOL I remembered the illogical stuff around it. Like "you can't bring Stuff size A, but 3 of size B (half of A) is totally okay". Because there is no way a terroirist might use the content of more than one package or even go - gasp! - for multi-component explosives.

Or that you can't bring Liquids in - except you have bought it at the airport. Because nobody would replace the content, right?

I've gotten shit a few times because the ziploc bag my 100 mL bottles were in was the wrong size. I a normal clear ziploc bags like you get at the grocery store and have like two or three little things in it at most (toothpaste, conditioner, and hand cream), and about 1/3 of the time someone tells me I'm doing something wrong. Aegh.

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8105 on: December 07, 2020, 09:25:58 AM »

I've gotten shit a few times because the ziploc bag my 100 mL bottles were in was the wrong size. I a normal clear ziploc bags like you get at the grocery store and have like two or three little things in it at most (toothpaste, conditioner, and hand cream), and about 1/3 of the time someone tells me I'm doing something wrong. Aegh.

Yeah, this kind of hassle is why I keep all the toiletries in the check-in luggage. But for someone travelling light, what a headache.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8106 on: December 07, 2020, 10:27:08 AM »

Clearly, someone was more interested in compliance than actual safety.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #8107 on: December 07, 2020, 10:55:52 AM »

I have a friend that would take 2 of the zip lock bags full of small liquids. In the security line, they would just put one zip lock bag in their very first basket and the other in the very last one and because we all have to take nearly everything off and out of our luggage the 2 zip lock bags were separated by quite a few baskets and could easily look like they belong to 2 separate people since nobody really pays attention. I never had the guts to try it but since it's all security theater anyway I very much supported the effort.

Plina

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8108 on: December 07, 2020, 02:09:43 PM »

I saw a woman that was caught in security with what probably was a 5 liter ziplock bag, with normal size tolietries. Her partner had already passed the security so they both had to backtrack and go to check in the stuff. The line was probably a 20-30 minute wait. Makes you wonder, how her reasoning went when she packad that bag.

I had to throw a facial cleaner one that was in a to big package. The amount was less that the 100 ml and I knew that I might have to throw it away. I had managed to travel with it several times previously. The woman in security seemed a bit surprised by my acceptance of throwing it away but why make a fuss when you know you are wrong.

I am basically always traveling with only a carry on bag these days. With a soap bar and a schampoo bar the restraints in liquids are no longer a problem.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2020, 11:37:03 PM by Plina »

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8109 on: December 07, 2020, 03:55:18 PM »

I had to throw a facial cleaner one that was in a to big package. The amount was less that the 100 ml and I knew that I might have to throw it away. I had managed to travel with it several times previously. The woman in security seemed a bit surprised by my acceptance of throwing it away but way make a fuss when you know you are wrong.

I am basically always traveling with only a carry on bag these days. With a soap bar and a schampoo bar the restraints in liquids are no longer a problem.

Haha, that reminds me of the London security agent who seemed disappointed that I didn't make a fuss over throwing away my slightly-too-large bottle of contact lens solution. It was almost like she wanted me to make a scene, as if that would enhance her power trip.

Totally agree... solid shampoo and conditioner FTW.

What I find particularly amusing is that if they really thought someone had an explosive material, they'd be putting it in some kind of sealed container and very gingerly carrying it away to be disposed of safely. But instead, where do they have everyone dump their liquids? Oh, just right there in a trash can in the middle of the security area with hundreds of people around it.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #8110 on: December 07, 2020, 04:50:02 PM »
Got a coupon in the mail to get $20 off a purchase of $100 or more at Target.  Great!  I haven't been in a long time and had a decent list of things that I could pick up there, including some Christmas decorations to try to cheer us up while we won't be traveling to visit our families like usual this year.  Problem: my total came to $52.  Even being non-mustachian with the holiday decor, I've just lost the taste for shopping.  I mean, even for things I sort of need, like new socks and underwear.  Hopefully I'll be more enthusiastic about shopping when the situation gets more desperate.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #8111 on: December 08, 2020, 01:32:30 AM »
Next time someone asks me to throw away my facial cleanser I’m going to start aggressively cleaning my face in the Middle of the airport

One time I accidentally left a huge bottle of baby ass cream (this is the technical name) in our diaper bag and convinced the agent it was “medicated” but I think she just felt bad about sending the baby on a plane without his ass cream and didn’t want the huge scene it would cause when I started using it liberally

sherr

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8112 on: December 08, 2020, 07:06:57 AM »

This is literally the entire point of the TSA: to make people feel safe enough to fly in a post 9/11 world. Depending on the year, the TSA has an 80ish to 95% failure rate in audits. It is security theater.

Well, I guess it's not fair to claim it's the entire point. It's also a massive federal jobs program.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8113 on: December 08, 2020, 01:07:02 PM »

I have a friend that would take 2 of the zip lock bags full of small liquids. In the security line, they would just put one zip lock bag in their very first basket and the other in the very last one and because we all have to take nearly everything off and out of our luggage the 2 zip lock bags were separated by quite a few baskets and could easily look like they belong to 2 separate people since nobody really pays attention. I never had the guts to try it but since it's all security theater anyway I very much supported the effort.

Security theater indeed.  A couple of years back, my husband used an old backpack as a carry-on.  This thing had a gazillion pockets in it and he missed one when he was emptying it out.  It turns out that there was not one, but two, knives in that pocket (I have not the slightest clue why).  This fact wasn't discovered until the second airport.  One of the biggest and busiest airports in the world missed two knives, including a big ass hunting knife (it was legit big enough that I became concerned that I was going to have to bail him out of jail on my way home). 

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #8114 on: December 08, 2020, 01:21:19 PM »
I have a funny security store, but for the county courthouse.  Went to the courthouse for a paper, just that, took like 10 seconds to get it once I was there.  But the security guys wanted my corkscrew from my purse.  Um, what corkscrew?

I pulled 3 knives out of my purse looking for that damned corkscrew, they missed them all lol.

FireLane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8115 on: December 08, 2020, 01:38:29 PM »
We brought our old Honda in for an inspection, and the mechanic found rust on the undercarriage in places that cars don't usually rust. He said it's because we don't drive it enough. I view that as an achievement!

rantk81

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8116 on: December 08, 2020, 03:23:33 PM »
We collectively "lost our shit" when a few thousand people were killed on 9/11.  The resulting BS includes inconveniencing millions of travelers every day and wasting untold amounts of money and time on the theater.

Meanwhile, we're now having more deaths PER DAY from COVID.... and [snip--decided not to post comment about national leadership]

Ridiculous.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8117 on: December 08, 2020, 03:28:50 PM »
We collectively "lost our shit" when a few thousand people were killed on 9/11.  The resulting BS includes inconveniencing millions of travelers every day and wasting untold amounts of money and time on the theater.

Meanwhile, we're now having more deaths PER DAY from COVID.... and [snip--decided not to post comment about national leadership]

Ridiculous.

But 9/11 was dramatic, planes flew into buildings just like in a movie.  And there was an outside cause to blame.

The pandemic is just quiet tragedy after quiet tragedy.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8118 on: December 08, 2020, 03:45:10 PM »

I had a steel wall mug taken away at security.  (It was empty, I took off the lid to show them inside.)  Why?  Because some memo the prior day got them all confiscating anything that could look like a pipe bomb.  Really.  ?!

My father (the pilot  / captain) in the beginning  of these restrictions would have his metal fork confiscated.   You know, a small fork so he could eat his dinner that he brought to be healthy on the layover.  What was he going to do, commit suicide by fork?   It would be far easier to just steer the plane wherever he decided he wanted it to go.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8119 on: December 08, 2020, 04:32:05 PM »
I had a steel wall mug taken away at security.  (It was empty, I took off the lid to show them inside.)  Why?  Because some memo the prior day got them all confiscating anything that could look like a pipe bomb.  Really.  ?!

My brother (on his way to a wedding or something) was told he couldn't bring a gift-wrapped wooden cheese board onto the plane with him because it could be used as a weapon. No cheese knives or anything, just a fancy piece of wood.

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
  • Engineer, explorer, investor
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #8120 on: December 08, 2020, 05:38:34 PM »
My father (the pilot  / captain) in the beginning  of these restrictions would have his metal fork confiscated.   You know, a small fork so he could eat his dinner that he brought to be healthy on the layover.  What was he going to do, commit suicide by fork?   It would be far easier to just steer the plane wherever he decided he wanted it to go.

I'm pretty sure this is a perfect summary of the tragic logic. We trust you with an plane full of people, but not with a fork...

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8121 on: December 08, 2020, 08:53:32 PM »

I'm pretty sure this is a perfect summary of the tragic logic. We trust you with an plane full of people, but not with a fork...
Beware the fork.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8122 on: December 09, 2020, 04:37:28 AM »

Beware the fork.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmUtltvUQX0
SKYRIM A Perfectly Balanced Game With No Exploits - Can You Beat Skyrim With Only A Fork Challenge

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8123 on: December 09, 2020, 11:43:29 AM »
Our dentist gives us a travel tube of toothpaste, a small thing of floss and a toothbrush that my husband likes with every visit.

But the you have to go to the dentist, do you know how much that costs?? I haven't been in at least 4 years. Glad to learn to small-tube trick!

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #8124 on: December 09, 2020, 12:09:08 PM »
We decided to decorate a bit more for Christmas this year and I wanted a few more strings of mini lights included some of the icicle style ones. After spending far too long debating the merits of the more expensive LEDs I decided to go for it. Essentially, the savings in electricity really doesn't justify the price, but if they really last a lot longer, then that is worth the money to me.

I took some measurements with my Kill-a-watt meter after I got the lights up. Our tree which has incandescent lights built in uses TWELVE TIMES as much electricity as the new LEDS. The new lights do a great job of lighting the living room so they stay on all evening instead of other lights. It's less than six cents and hour to have the tree on, but I keep turning it off when DW isn't in the room to enjoy it because "it's 12X as much"!

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #8125 on: December 09, 2020, 02:12:32 PM »
We decided to decorate a bit more for Christmas this year and I wanted a few more strings of mini lights included some of the icicle style ones. After spending far too long debating the merits of the more expensive LEDs I decided to go for it. Essentially, the savings in electricity really doesn't justify the price, but if they really last a lot longer, then that is worth the money to me.

I took some measurements with my Kill-a-watt meter after I got the lights up. Our tree which has incandescent lights built in uses TWELVE TIMES as much electricity as the new LEDS. The new lights do a great job of lighting the living room so they stay on all evening instead of other lights. It's less than six cents and hour to have the tree on, but I keep turning it off when DW isn't in the room to enjoy it because "it's 12X as much"!

Sometimes I wonder if it's worth wear on the switch to turn LED lights off.  That always seemed silly but now a couple of my cheap costco dimmer switches have started cracking.  They were about $7 each so I'm not sure if I've saved $7 worth of electricity turning off those lights around the house.

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8126 on: December 09, 2020, 02:55:47 PM »
Traveling.  Since I always have to change flights to go to my closest airports, I tend to check my bag.  Plus Delta who I mostly fly is pretty darn speedy with getting them to you.  I was in Costa Rica just before Covid, I brought coffee back of course, the pre check in security people were very concerned my coffee was ground as apparently there is a 12 ounce powder limit too. I’m like this bag is going under the plane thanks.

My MPP, I have been traveling for work the last couple of months, I’m now titanium elite with Marriott, it comes with baby elite status on United.  United is my least favorite airline.  They fly tiny planes into our local airport which oftentimes do not come on time.

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #8127 on: December 09, 2020, 03:03:26 PM »

Sometimes I wonder if it's worth wear on the switch to turn LED lights off.  That always seemed silly but now a couple of my cheap costco dimmer switches have started cracking.  They were about $7 each so I'm not sure if I've saved $7 worth of electricity turning off those lights around the house.

Yeah they tend to negate 90% of the benefits to "turn off the light when you leave the room" that's ingrained in my mind...

Living in a place with very high electricity prices at the time I jumped on the LED wagon early, but I've had trouble with quality everywhere except the 4 ft florescent replacements. Far too many of the A19 style failed within a year to give any credibility to the "25k-50k hour life" they were advertised with. The first two sets of "dimmable" LEDs I bought flickered annoyingly when dimmed and sometimes even when they we're are at full power. In both cases newer bulbs seem to have fixed the issue, but the experience was one reason I paused at the thought of buying LED Christmas lights.

At the individual level it's mostly an annoyance, but I'm convinced that marketers and politicians consistently over promising what engineers can actually deliver gives people a bad impression of green technology.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8128 on: December 09, 2020, 03:34:52 PM »
My FB memories reminded me that three years ago I was flying with my then-baby. Airport security was fine with baby antacid, hand sanitizer, hand lotion, baby butt cream, but pulled me aside for extra inspection of my suspicious cheese sandwiches.

I once got a nail clipper confiscated at airport security only to later see the exact same one for sale at one of the little shops at the terminal.

You could make a killing if you could get permission to install one of the self-service mailing center machines right at airport security so people had the option of mailing their metal forks and wooden cutting boards home instead of having them stolen at security.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #8129 on: December 10, 2020, 03:06:34 AM »
I was at an agricultural fair a few years ago and there was a booth selling used pocket knives -- thousands of them, all kinds.  I asked the guy where he gets his knives and it was -- you guessed it -- the TSA.  Apparently TSA sells them cheap by the boxful to people who then re-sell them. 

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8130 on: December 10, 2020, 04:55:35 AM »
We were flying out of St. Thomas years ago, and they put a security desk just inside the door to the waiting area. The TSA person was sitting there with a cooler full of confiscated drinks, offering them to co-workers and airport staff when they passed by. We knew they were confiscated because she was quite happy to let her co-workers that when she talked to them.

Another time, my sister-in-law flew from Reno to PHL with a stopover in Phoenix. When she got to our house she rummaged around in her carry-on bag looking for something, and said "Oh!", as she pulled out a machete from the bottom of the bag. She had taken it to work to cut watermelon, and planned on leaving it there until she returned from her trip. A co-worker decided to wash it and put it back in her bag. It made it through two TSA checkpoints, no problem.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8131 on: December 10, 2020, 07:00:20 AM »
My FB memories reminded me that three years ago I was flying with my then-baby. Airport security was fine with baby antacid, hand sanitizer, hand lotion, baby butt cream, but pulled me aside for extra inspection of my suspicious cheese sandwiches.

I once got a nail clipper confiscated at airport security only to later see the exact same one for sale at one of the little shops at the terminal.

You could make a killing if you could get permission to install one of the self-service mailing center machines right at airport security so people had the option of mailing their metal forks and wooden cutting boards home instead of having them stolen at security.

My husband used one of these in Houston.  In all honesty, I don't remember the price being too terribly out of line with what UPS or FedEx charges for ground shipping.  It took forever and he had all but given up hope of ever seeing his stuff again when it finally turned up at the house.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8132 on: December 10, 2020, 07:42:26 AM »
We were flying out of St. Thomas years ago, and they put a security desk just inside the door to the waiting area. The TSA person was sitting there with a cooler full of confiscated drinks, offering them to co-workers and airport staff when they passed by. We knew they were confiscated because she was quite happy to let her co-workers that when she talked to them.

Another time, my sister-in-law flew from Reno to PHL with a stopover in Phoenix. When she got to our house she rummaged around in her carry-on bag looking for something, and said "Oh!", as she pulled out a machete from the bottom of the bag. She had taken it to work to cut watermelon, and planned on leaving it there until she returned from her trip. A co-worker decided to wash it and put it back in her bag. It made it through two TSA checkpoints, no problem.
I was scheduled to take the last flight out of Oakland to Dallas.  Once through the gate, they announced mechanical problems and a two-hour delay. It was a work thing and I had to get there that day, so they put me and my single piece of carryon luggage in a shuttle bound for San Francisco. When I went through TSA at SFO, they discovered the two pair of scissors that I'd forgotten about in the outside pocket of my suitcase. Yup, outside pocket, as in, they were right on top when they went through the scanner at OAK without being noticed. Once they were discovered at SFO, much discussion ensued. One pair was a very expensive pair of thinning shears that I didn't want to lose. I showed them to the agents and demonstrated that they don't cut anything but hair. They actually let me keep them, as long  as I moved them to the inside of the the carry-on bag(!). They kept the other pair, which were easier and cheaper to replace.

Before anyone asks why I was carrying on two large pair of scissors in my luggage, I'm trying to remember. I think I had visited  my sister the week before by car and brought my good scissors so she could give me a haircut. I've used the same suitcase for twenty years, but I rarely use the outside pocket. I simply forgot about them when I unpacked after the road trip to my sister's.

I don't fly much any more, but I used to fly at least twice a month. I remember that all your liquids had to fit in a quart size plastic bag, which was a pain in the ass. I gradually stopped bothering with that and it doesn't seem to be an issue any more. I just toss in my whole translucent toiletries bag. As long as I never put anything oversize in it, it sails right through. Has the quart-size bag policy actually changed or has TSA just stopped enforcing it? Not that I'm flying again any time soon, lol.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #8133 on: December 11, 2020, 12:31:39 PM »
Sometimes I forget that other realities exist, even when I have lived them myself in the past:

I was making bread yesterday and spent the whole time I was kneading reflecting on the privilege reflected in this spontaneous bread making: I have a fully stocked pantry with a wide variety of good; I have time to knead bread, let it rise, etc (there is a french market next door, so yes, I could buy bread faster than it takes me to knead the bread); the oven works and I am not particularly concerned with the additional costs of running it long enough to raise, then bake the bread...We often think of making your own bread as the frugal thing to do, but a lot goes into it.

Then this morning, I had kind of an opposite moment. I found myself at least mentally judging someone "Why are you spending money on THAT if you aren't even saving as much as you are spending every year?!" as if that were a reasonable expectation for everyone's situation.

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #8134 on: December 11, 2020, 01:42:48 PM »
Sometimes I forget that other realities exist, even when I have lived them myself in the past:

I was making bread yesterday and spent the whole time I was kneading reflecting on the privilege reflected in this spontaneous bread making: I have a fully stocked pantry with a wide variety of good; I have time to knead bread, let it rise, etc (there is a french market next door, so yes, I could buy bread faster than it takes me to knead the bread); the oven works and I am not particularly concerned with the additional costs of running it long enough to raise, then bake the bread...We often think of making your own bread as the frugal thing to do, but a lot goes into it.

Then this morning, I had kind of an opposite moment. I found myself at least mentally judging someone "Why are you spending money on THAT if you aren't even saving as much as you are spending every year?!" as if that were a reasonable expectation for everyone's situation.

Were you making French bread? I've been looking for a good French bread recipe... I like kneading bread by hand too, but I might be getting a mixer capable of handling it for Christmas.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #8135 on: December 11, 2020, 01:46:17 PM »

Were you making French bread? I've been looking for a good French bread recipe... I like kneading bread by hand too, but I might be getting a mixer capable of handling it for Christmas.

No, I was making hamburger buns, but DH loves french bread, so it is a suitable substitute for most situations. When I met him, his daily lunch consisted of 1/3 of a baguette with some meat and cheese, 5 days a week.

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #8136 on: December 11, 2020, 02:10:45 PM »
No, I was making hamburger buns, but DH loves french bread, so it is a suitable substitute for most situations. When I met him, his daily lunch consisted of 1/3 of a baguette with some meat and cheese, 5 days a week.

Sounds like a very reasonable guy. :)

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8137 on: December 11, 2020, 04:56:33 PM »
Got an unexpected decent sized bonus at work today. (About 2/3 of a paycheck).  Since it’s the end of the year, I’d already fully funded my savings and investing goals.  After an initial though of what the heck should I do with this, decided to just add it to my DAF.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8138 on: December 11, 2020, 05:04:48 PM »
Got an unexpected decent sized bonus at work today. (About 2/3 of a paycheck).  Since it’s the end of the year, I’d already fully funded my savings and investing goals.  After an initial though of what the heck should I do with this, decided to just add it to my DAF.

That's good news!  Bravo!

Please consider sending a bit to a local food bank.   Not everyone has been as lucky as we are.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8139 on: December 11, 2020, 06:50:36 PM »

That's good news!  Bravo!

Please consider sending a bit to a local food bank.   Not everyone has been as lucky as we are.

My local Feeding America branch is a regular monthly recipient.  My parents actually volunteer there every Tuesday.

Tinker

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8140 on: December 13, 2020, 03:34:45 AM »
Well, I guess it's not fair to claim it's the entire point. It's also a massive federal jobs program.
Why can't the feds come up with a less annoying jobs program?

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #8141 on: December 13, 2020, 07:38:27 PM »
When the New Years' Eve ball drops, I will have officially foregone a credit card reward in the amount of $41.

I have a CC that gives me $100 per year for inflight food and lounges.  I went on two plane trips this year.  I used $59 to get into a lounge on the first plane trip and got that reimbursed, leaving $41 left for the year.

On the second plane trip, my connections were so good and I was enjoying myself enough not to go sit in an airport lounge, that I didn't even go to the lounge.  And the flights didn't offer inflight food due to the virus.  I did consider it on my last connection, but I would only have been in the lounge for about 10 or 15 minutes, and after doing the $59 - $41 = $18 net cost to me math, I decided I couldn't eat that much food in that short of time.  (Alcohol could've worked, but I don't really drink.)

This eats at me more than you might think.  Oh well, maybe in 2021 I'll use it all.

NorCal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8142 on: December 13, 2020, 08:05:31 PM »
We're foregoing employer provided insurance this year and buying it on the private market.  We should save about $3K this year.

My problem: My Year-over-Year income and spending projections look really odd in my tracking spreadsheet now that it's an expense and not a payroll deduction.  This is going to bug me all year.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8143 on: December 14, 2020, 07:14:57 AM »
I just put in the grocery order with cookie stuff, so I am officially finished with xmas spending.  My "extra" (as my husband calls it) holiday tracking spreadsheet tells me that I'm $11.35 over budget.  Before finding MMM, I would have called that a good year. 

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8144 on: December 15, 2020, 10:11:24 AM »
My SIL is hosting brunch on xmas day and has requested that everyone wear xmas pajamas.  I don't wanna.  I have plenty of pajamas and don't feel the need to go out any buy any to wear for a single day.  Bah Humbug.

Plina

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8145 on: December 15, 2020, 10:53:36 AM »
My SIL is hosting brunch on xmas day and has requested that everyone wear xmas pajamas.  I don't wanna.  I have plenty of pajamas and don't feel the need to go out any buy any to wear for a single day.  Bah Humbug.

I would tell her that I normally sleep naked even on christmas.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8146 on: December 15, 2020, 12:11:32 PM »
I’d say covid gives you a good reason to skip the brunch and the PJs.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8147 on: December 15, 2020, 01:25:58 PM »

The ones I impulse bought at Target because my single pair of winter PJs ripped are actually fabulously comfortable, weirdly enough.

Years ago on a beach vacation, my grandfather and his... er, partner? lady friend? companion of his twilight years? were given the ground floor master. It had a "crappy little room" attached which had a double bed, and beds were scarce, but this room could be reached only by walking through the larger bedroom.

So Grandfather let it be known that he and his companion slept naked, and that was the end of any thought of using the crappy little room.

I believe he was bankrolling the house anyway. He was Mustachian before it was cool and could afford to live his golden years as he wished.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8148 on: December 16, 2020, 03:44:41 AM »
And I thought those only existed in crappy sitcoms.

Plina

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8149 on: December 16, 2020, 04:01:19 AM »

The ones I impulse bought at Target because my single pair of winter PJs ripped are actually fabulously comfortable, weirdly enough.

Years ago on a beach vacation, my grandfather and his... er, partner? lady friend? companion of his twilight years? were given the ground floor master. It had a "crappy little room" attached which had a double bed, and beds were scarce, but this room could be reached only by walking through the larger bedroom.

So Grandfather let it be known that he and his companion slept naked, and that was the end of any thought of using the crappy little room.

Good for grandpa and I totally understand your decision.

Are people supposed to drive/walk over in the pyjamas or do they change when they arrive?