Author Topic: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)  (Read 5086533 times)

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
Re: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)
« Reply #8050 on: November 17, 2020, 04:15:01 PM »
Current estimated tax burden  $31 ,  Tax credit of $150 for new high efficiency furnace, can't be applied because of low taxes.
Can't really generate enough taxable income since my capital gains and dividends are well below the 72K limit.
Don't need the money this year. Don't want to have that much cash lying around rotting with inflation.
Certainly don't want a J-O-B to generate taxable income.    Maybe some unqualified dividends will be issued as a surprise in December.

MPP:  oh woe is me     :-)

Roth conversion would work if you had a traditional IRA with funds in it.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8051 on: November 17, 2020, 08:22:28 PM »
Current estimated tax burden  $31 ,  Tax credit of $150 for new high efficiency furnace, can't be applied because of low taxes.
Can't really generate enough taxable income since my capital gains and dividends are well below the 72K limit.
Don't need the money this year. Don't want to have that much cash lying around rotting with inflation.
Certainly don't want a J-O-B to generate taxable income.    Maybe some unqualified dividends will be issued as a surprise in December.

Doesn't a Roth conversion require some W-2 style income?

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8052 on: November 17, 2020, 08:35:21 PM »

Nope!  Roth contributions do, but not conversions.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8053 on: November 17, 2020, 08:46:55 PM »

Nope!  Roth contributions do, but not conversions.
Thanks, I've always been iffy on that topic, never thought I would have a situation that might require it.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #8054 on: November 19, 2020, 04:52:43 PM »
DH has two accounts that were of very nearly the same value, albeit entirely by accident. We will be adding to one of those accounts next week, wrecking that symmetry.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8055 on: November 19, 2020, 06:33:46 PM »
DH has two accounts that were of very nearly the same value, albeit entirely by accident. We will be adding to one of those accounts next week, wrecking that symmetry.

Similar:  Share amounts very close to share price.  On a single cell calculation, can be hard to tell which is which, and sometimes I update the wrong one.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8056 on: November 24, 2020, 06:41:00 AM »
I had a (sort of) MPP!

I ordered a laptop online. I'm not really into gadgets so I asked Me Imma which model I should order. I showed him the order conformation and apparantly I had chosen the wrong processor. So I called the company (which is known for it's great customer service, which is why we always buy from them) to cancel the order. I had to wait for a while so by the time I got on the phone with customer service, Mr Imma had left the room, so I didn't know for sure which model I wanted to replace it with. The lady on the phone was making a big fuss about cancelling the order without a replacement and I didn't understand why as they always have great customer service.

In the end the lady said Sure, I *could* just cancel the order completely, but it takes up to two days until the money is credited to your account, so you'd have to wait a couple of days to order a new laptop. Then I said "actually, that's no problem at all, please just go ahead and cancel". I almost literally heard her jaw drop on her desk. Then she clicked a few buttons and it was done in 10 seconds.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8057 on: November 24, 2020, 07:48:32 AM »

Similar:  Share amounts very close to share price.  On a single cell calculation, can be hard to tell which is which, and sometimes I update the wrong one.

Glad to know I have company in this universe of MPP.

Wife and I used to earn the same and mostly frugal, thus similar bank balances. Also, account numbers were very similar. Much confusion when planning ahead, so we decided to make both accounts joint accounts, hers would be all savings, all bills get paid from mine (since I was already using online banking as soon as it was offered by our bank).
Which worked out great, except, every quarter, she would have a big balance. So I had to set up automatic transfers to our Vanguard brokerage account.
Which worked out great, except that when you get to a certain balance, Vanguard starts offering you a personal advisor service. So I had to explain to them that I use a Bogleheads lazy portfolio and don't require an advisor.
Which worked out great for a few years until the balance hit another milestone, and they started calling to offer their Flagship Services. This turned out to be tricky to evade as their nice folks are darn savvy. Until I hit upon an idea....
I changed the phone on my Vanguard account to my Google number and set it to "Do Not Disturb".
Peace at last... until Google decides to kill their Voice service (their abysmal product life-cycle record makes this a possibility).
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 08:11:28 AM by jinga nation »

Mighty Eyebrows

• Stubble
« Reply #8058 on: November 24, 2020, 11:22:55 AM »
Peace at last... until Google decides to kill their Voice service (their abysmal product life-cycle record makes this a possibility).
For the day that google inevitably kills its voice service, I highly recommend this service:
https://www.voip.ms/

It isn't free, but the costs are modest and fair for the service they provide. It is very hands-on with amazing customization options (filtering, multiple voicemail, ring groups, etc).

There are hardware voip boxes that allow use of "landline" phones and, of course, apps for cellphones and desktops. I give the number out for things I don't want going to my cell number, and have a good "spam" list that goes directly to "This number no longer in service".

When we travel and buy sim cards in a different country, we forward all our home cell numbers to the voip number and then have it go to voicemail that then goes to email, which we get abroad.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #8059 on: November 27, 2020, 08:29:31 AM »
My MPP: Thanks to my sweetie's good apartment/neighbourhood choosing skills and our staying put instead of "moving up", we now pay rent that is so low (for the neighbourhood we're in) that when I post about it, internet people think I'm lying.

Also, well-meaning but financially unskilled relatives keep asking us when we're moving to something bigger. I think I'll start telling them, "when we move it'll be to something much smaller, and that'll be a pine box."

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8060 on: November 27, 2020, 09:58:14 AM »
My MPP: Thanks to my sweetie's good apartment/neighbourhood choosing skills and our staying put instead of "moving up", we now pay rent that is so low (for the neighbourhood we're in) that when I post about it, internet people think I'm lying.

Also, well-meaning but financially unskilled relatives keep asking us when we're moving to something bigger. I think I'll start telling them, "when we move it'll be to something much smaller, and that'll be a pine box."

Pine Box Derby by Beat Happening contains the phrase "pine box rock"
 https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1D6lJbFdXdc
Thanks for reminding me about the song!

Gingersnaps

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8061 on: December 01, 2020, 08:26:48 AM »
I was reshuffling finances last night, and the amounts I wanted to invest exceeded my daily card spending limits. It was a very large sum, not long ago I'd have laughed at the idea of  being able to casually transfer these amounts of money. Had to split up my transactions over a few days to get around the rule.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8062 on: December 02, 2020, 04:16:57 AM »
I was reshuffling finances last night, and the amounts I wanted to invest exceeded my daily card spending limits. It was a very large sum, not long ago I'd have laughed at the idea of  being able to casually transfer these amounts of money. Had to split up my transactions over a few days to get around the rule.
lol I know htat feeling. Had a mediocre big amount transferred to a brokar account a month ago, had to up 2 limits just to allow for that. And of course each time you need a SMS PIN. Together with logging and the actual transfer and setting the limits down again that made 6 SMS.

Also by now my savings fluctuate way more every day than I earn that day. Sometimes I feel a bit unease, sometimes I can only laugh about it.
The "fluctuates by weekly amount" is not far, it sometimes happens already, and I guess when it is the monthly income I can go half-FIRE and it will still feel strange to see that change lol.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #8063 on: December 02, 2020, 08:12:03 AM »
Also by now my savings fluctuate way more every day than I earn that day. Sometimes I feel a bit unease, sometimes I can only laugh about it.
The "fluctuates by weekly amount" is not far, it sometimes happens already, and I guess when it is the monthly income I can go half-FIRE and it will still feel strange to see that change lol.

"Up a car, down a car"
"Up a house, down a house"
(Not sure what comes after that.)

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
  • Engineer, explorer, investor
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #8064 on: December 02, 2020, 10:46:48 AM »

"Up a car, down a car"
"Up a house, down a house"
(Not sure what comes after that.)

We were down a house in march, and now were up a house and a Tesla since the bottom. And that's with passive investing...

Plina

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8065 on: December 02, 2020, 11:25:29 AM »
lol I know htat feeling. Had a mediocre big amount transferred to a brokar account a month ago, had to up 2 limits just to allow for that. And of course each time you need a SMS PIN. Together with logging and the actual transfer and setting the limits down again that made 6 SMS.

I had the same problem last month with transfers and it took a while to realize I hit the transfer limit and had to do it differently.

I have noticed this year that some months I have bigger networth increases than my montly salary.

Sandi_k

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8066 on: December 02, 2020, 11:38:03 AM »

We were down a house in march, and now were up a house and a Tesla since the bottom. And that's with passive investing...

I don't know how far down we were in March-May. When it took such a big slide, I simply opened the spreadsheet, made a tab for March, and decided that I was not capturing the losses. In fact, I decided not to look until the DJIA was back above 26k, as that was the level in ~ October 2019, and it seemed silly to me to be perfectly fine in October, and perfectly panicked in March over the same account value.

Once the DJIA passed 26k, I started tracking again. So in Feb, we were at $675k, and on May 4th, we were at $674k.  Pretty amazing recovery!

I am now using this same trick for rebalancing. I have my "brackets", but still feel the itch to DO SOMETHING. So I decided that the AA was a little too aggressive, now that I am sub-five years to retirement. So I moved a bit more into cash, TIPS and GNMAE funds. We now have enough in that bucket to get us through the first five years of retirement. At that time, DH files for SS and the house is paid off.

So now - the gyrations do not matter. We have a 5 year bucket, and that's now in place. Everything else is gravy.

DeedlesSci

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8067 on: December 02, 2020, 12:18:01 PM »
My DH got a raise in the fall, so we decided to max his 457b (government employee). As a community college teacher, he only works and gets paid during 10 months of the year (he would rather not work summers and retire a few years later than work year round... can't say I wouldn't do the same). We tried to change the withholding online, but it was rejected for exceeding the maximum they can take out each month. We had to do special withholding paperwork so that they would take out $1950 per month. Now, anytime the max withholdings increase, we will have to redo that paperwork. Plus, we haven't maxed out his 403b quite yet, and I anticipate that being much the same issue.

bmjohnson35

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8068 on: December 02, 2020, 04:37:51 PM »

Had to replace the small ty-wrap on the busted zipper of my favorite old jacket.  The small pull tab broke off around 5 yrs ago. I should be good for another 5 or so.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #8069 on: December 02, 2020, 05:33:50 PM »
Up an island, down a country

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #8070 on: December 02, 2020, 08:55:21 PM »
Up an island, down a country

Elon, is that you?

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8071 on: December 03, 2020, 08:46:52 AM »

Had to replace the small ty-wrap on the busted zipper of my favorite old jacket.  The small pull tab broke off around 5 yrs ago. I should be good for another 5 or so.
How did you do that? I have a favorite jacket that could use that repair.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8072 on: December 03, 2020, 10:19:48 AM »

Run the ty-wrap through the old pull tab hole on the slider.  Don't cinch the ty-wrap tight, just leave a loop.    Fixed several jacket zippers this way.

AerynLee

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8073 on: December 03, 2020, 10:33:22 AM »
My company is merging into another company at the end of the year. New company uses a different bank for the HSA than the current company. My current HSA account charges a $2/month fee no matter the balance. New bank waives the monthly fee once the balance is over $500. Yay! New bank also does not let you have investments in the HSA....boo!
Why can't they use the same bank DH's work uses? No monthly fee once you reach $3k and lets you invest

turketron

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8074 on: December 03, 2020, 12:00:57 PM »
My company is merging into another company at the end of the year. New company uses a different bank for the HSA than the current company. My current HSA account charges a $2/month fee no matter the balance. New bank waives the monthly fee once the balance is over $500. Yay! New bank also does not let you have investments in the HSA....boo!
Why can't they use the same bank DH's work uses? No monthly fee once you reach $3k and lets you invest

I discovered last year that my HSA (mine's through healthequity, not sure if this is universal) has no obligation to keep your funds with the HSA even while I'm still employed at my company. They didn't charge a fee for transferring out and you only had to leave a minimum of $25 in the account, so I opened a Fidelity HSA and periodically transfer the bulk of my HSA over a few times a year.

AerynLee

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8075 on: December 03, 2020, 12:10:27 PM »

I discovered last year that my HSA (mine's through healthequity, not sure if this is universal) has no obligation to keep your funds with the HSA even while I'm still employed at my company. They didn't charge a fee for transferring out and you only had to leave a minimum of $25 in the account, so I opened a Fidelity HSA and periodically transfer the bulk of my HSA over a few times a year.
Good to know! I'll have to check once we switch. I'd rather only have one account, but not if it means thousands of dollars are sitting around not working as hard as they should be

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8076 on: December 03, 2020, 06:25:31 PM »
FYI you are not required to use the HSA account your employer provides.  You are free to use any provider you want, and you are free to transfer any money out of your company sponsored plan and move it to whoever you like at any time.  My HSA is at fidelity. No fees whatsoever, and you can invest the full balance in index funds with 0 ER.

You do have to make the initial contribution via payroll into your company's plan if you want to avoid paying FICA tax (it's deducted from your check before FICA is calculated).   Otherwise you'll have to pay the FICA tax if you make contributions on your own. But then you can transfer it anywhere you want. 

Just be aware that some HSA accounts will charge a fee to transfer money out, so you'll want to know that so you can calculate if it's worth it, and strategically do larger lump sum moves instead of every single pay period.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8077 on: December 03, 2020, 09:54:33 PM »

Run the ty-wrap through the old pull tab hole on the slider.  Don't cinch the ty-wrap tight, just leave a loop.    Fixed several jacket zippers this way.
Lol, in my part of the world, we call them Zip Ties. And thanks to google, I now know you can buy a "ty-wrap" gun, to cut the ends off perfectly smoothly.

Because I didn't know the term, I thought you meant something else. I'm having trouble with the plastic coating at the bottom of the zipper wearing out. Technically, the Heat Seal Patch is failing at the Pin, due to the action of the zipper pull. Here's a diagram. If anyone knows how to fix this problem, I'm all ears.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8078 on: December 03, 2020, 11:15:35 PM »
A safety pin will temporarily fix the one on the left, and a needle and thread will make a more permanent fix.  (Ask me how I know...)

A failure of the heat seal patch at the pin is another issue.  Maybe use the safety pin idea to temporarily trial a half-zip pullover conversion?

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8079 on: December 03, 2020, 11:32:39 PM »
A safety pin will temporarily fix the one on the left, and a needle and thread will make a more permanent fix.  (Ask me how I know...)

A failure of the heat seal patch at the pin is another issue.  Maybe use the safety pin idea to temporarily trial a half-zip pullover conversion?
Well,  I put a staple and then sew the one on the left.

For the right...  I have created a mock separating zipper from a coil zipper by reinforcing the bottom "pull" using seam grip (aka diluted shoe goo) to stiffen it.  It's a bit like plastic dipping the end of the zipper.  You need to use a dropper to get it on the right spots. 
It is quite fragile of a fix and needs a snap at the bottom to eliminate a lot of pulling on the zipper ends.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8080 on: December 04, 2020, 05:56:41 AM »

Well,  I put a staple and then sew the one on the left.

For the right...  I have created a mock separating zipper from a coil zipper by reinforcing the bottom "pull" using seam grip (aka diluted shoe goo) to stiffen it.  It's a bit like plastic dipping the end of the zipper.  You need to use a dropper to get it on the right spots. 
It is quite fragile of a fix and needs a snap at the bottom to eliminate a lot of pulling on the zipper ends.

Which is why good coats/jackets have an overlap and snaps, to take pressure off the zipper end.  Cheap coats just have the zipper.

DeniseNJ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8081 on: December 04, 2020, 06:58:12 AM »

If you just need a pull tab use a favorite key chain. Just run a tiny key chain loop thing through the hole and attach a key chain. You could also use a strong decorative string and attach key chain to that.

I found that zipping and unzipping jeans zippers was hard on my nails and polish so I got these and love them.
https://www.amazon.com/DYZD-Durable-Extension-Backpacks-Handbags/dp/B06XT52XHX/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=zipper+pull+tab&qid=1607090159&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEySFBXUjA0VE81TElPJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMDgxNDUwMjJGNTQzVFIwTzgyOCZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwOTAzNzQ0WExGWktKSkZDV1cmd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

Ooh, I see so many others too.  Not free but a few bucks for a nice neat fix.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=zipper+pull+tab&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

DeniseNJ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8082 on: December 04, 2020, 07:06:24 AM »
Dicey
Wow, they sell new pins to attach to your heat seal and tape--I never knew so much about zippers!
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=zipper+pin+heat+seal+repair&ref=nb_sb_noss

If your tape is frayed then you can reinforce it with fabric tape then squeeze on a new pin.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8083 on: December 04, 2020, 06:27:14 PM »
Found some good personal finance percentile ranking calculators at www.shnugi.com.

The Debt calculator didn't handle my debt very well after I paid my mid-month bills.

My total debt is -1389.      Yep, the people I owe money too actually owe money to me.   (Home insurance was pre-paid for a year but I sold the home before the year is up, so they owe me.)   

PhrugalPhan

• Bristles
« Reply #8084 on: December 04, 2020, 10:04:33 PM »
Not sure if this is a MPP or just a first world problem but... I got delivered a very nice space heater today.  So what's the problem?  I ordered a top end gaming chair and this is what was delivered.  I'm not a gamer but I have been working from home since March and it looks like I may be doing this for a long time going forward, so I ordered this chair to at least enjoy my time at home on the computer.  They put a shipping label that said 60 lbs. onto this package that weighed 8. 

I'll live until this gets straightened out, but.... really guys???

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8085 on: December 04, 2020, 10:12:28 PM »
Not sure if this is a MPP or just a first world problem but... I got delivered a very nice space heater today.  So what's the problem?  I ordered a top end gaming chair and this is what was delivered.  I'm not a gamer but I have been working from home since March and it looks like I may be doing this for a long time going forward, so I ordered this chair to at least enjoy my time at home on the computer.  They put a shipping label that said 60 lbs. onto this package that weighed 8. 

I'll live until this gets straightened out, but.... really guys???

Sounds like you just got scammed.   

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #8086 on: December 06, 2020, 03:04:22 AM »
Years ago I developed a technique for refilling my travel toothpaste tube from a larger tube. The savings are slight but it only takes a minute and prevents another tube in the trash. DW rolls her eyes a bit but always let’s me refill her tube. MPP: Tonight we discovered that we’ve accumulated a dozen or so unopened travel sized free sample tubes because it takes us so long to actually wear a tube out.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8087 on: December 06, 2020, 03:55:52 AM »
Years ago I developed a technique for refilling my travel toothpaste tube from a larger tube. The savings are slight but it only takes a minute and prevents another tube in the trash. DW rolls her eyes a bit but always let’s me refill her tube. MPP: Tonight we discovered that we’ve accumulated a dozen or so unopened travel sized free sample tubes because it takes us so long to actually wear a tube out.
Oooh, please share!

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8088 on: December 06, 2020, 04:53:11 AM »
When I got my flu shot this year at the VNA it was a drive thru situation where the nurse came to the car, we filled out our paperwork and then got a shot. However, have you ever wrestled a sweat shirt to expose your arm while in back of a steering wheel? I am trying to come up with a solution for next years drive by flu shot or even possibly drive by Covid vaccine. I was thinking of installing a zipper on  the upper arm of the sleeve. Or maybe removing the long sleeve entirely and installing a velcro break away shirt sleeve. Much harder to put the sleeve back on in the car though. Any thoughts on this. It is usually mid October and weather is cool or cold that day so not a fan of short sleeves. Even if I wore a jacket and a short sleeve, I would be wrestling to get the jacket off.

It would be kind of weird to just cut a hole in the upper arm area of the sweatshirt. Hahaha, paint a bullseye on my arm.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8089 on: December 06, 2020, 04:59:07 AM »
Wear something with a big neck that can pull down to reveal upper arm. Add a scarf on top for warmth.

anotherAlias

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8090 on: December 06, 2020, 04:59:56 AM »
When I got my flu shot this year at the VNA it was a drive thru situation where the nurse came to the car, we filled out our paperwork and then got a shot. However, have you ever wrestled a sweat shirt to expose your arm while in back of a steering wheel? I am trying to come up with a solution for next years drive by flu shot or even possibly drive by Covid vaccine. I was thinking of installing a zipper on  the upper arm of the sleeve. Or maybe removing the long sleeve entirely and installing a velcro break away shirt sleeve. Much harder to put the sleeve back on in the car though. Any thoughts on this. It is usually mid October and weather is cool or cold that day so not a fan of short sleeves. Even if I wore a jacket and a short sleeve, I would be wrestling to get the jacket off.

It would be kind of weird to just cut a hole in the upper arm area of the sweatshirt. Hahaha, paint a bullseye on my arm.

Why not wear a zippered fleece and just slide the shoulder down to expose the upper arm?

Edited because where and wear are not the same

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8091 on: December 06, 2020, 06:05:36 AM »
Oooh, please share!
I've done this a bunch.  I remove the caps off both tubes, press the two tubes together nose-to-nose, and gently squeeze the larger tube.  As long as you maintain the pressure between the two nozzles (to keep them sealed to each other), it's a mess-free process, and only takes a few seconds.

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8092 on: December 06, 2020, 06:08:02 AM »
Please educate me why there is a need to transfer toothpaste from one tube to another?

Why not just use the original tube and replace with a fresh one as necessary?

Signed,
Someone who cuts open toothpaste tubes to scrape out every bit of toothpaste from the inside

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8093 on: December 06, 2020, 06:18:15 AM »
Please educate me why there is a need to transfer toothpaste from one tube to another? /quote]It's about being able to use the small tube (better when traveling) without paying the premium for the smaller tube.

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8094 on: December 06, 2020, 06:25:40 AM »
Hmm, I never considered the regular toothpaste tube to be much of hassle to bring when travelling, but I see your point!

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #8095 on: December 06, 2020, 06:36:21 AM »
Hmm, I never considered the regular toothpaste tube to be much of hassle to bring when travelling, but I see your point!

A 'regular' sized toothpaste tube is too big for airline travel -- TSA limit is 3.4 ounces

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #8096 on: December 06, 2020, 06:37:10 AM »
Our dentist gives us a travel tube of toothpaste, a small thing of floss and a toothbrush that my husband likes with every visit.

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #8097 on: December 06, 2020, 09:44:44 AM »
Oooh, please share!
I've done this a bunch.  I remove the caps off both tubes, press the two tubes together nose-to-nose, and gently squeeze the larger tube.  As long as you maintain the pressure between the two nozzles (to keep them sealed to each other), it's a mess-free process, and only takes a few seconds.

Exactly. The trick is to hold the small tube in a way the doesn’t prevent it from expanding as the toothpaste enters but is also secure enough to keep it from slipping. I’ve given some thought to building a special cap the screw both tubes into but it’s never been enough of an issue to make it worthwhile.

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #8098 on: December 06, 2020, 09:49:37 AM »

A 'regular' sized toothpaste tube is too big for airline travel -- TSA limit is 3.4 ounces

Yeah. I usually try to fly with only the smallest possible carry on. 

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #8099 on: December 06, 2020, 09:53:39 AM »
Please educate me why there is a need to transfer toothpaste from one tube to another?

Why not just use the original tube and replace with a fresh one as necessary?

Signed,
Someone who cuts open toothpaste tubes to scrape out every bit of toothpaste from the inside

I have done with before as well :) I’ve also used a rolling pin to completely flatten the tube which is nearly as effective and a bit less messy.