Author Topic: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)  (Read 5086534 times)

Sandi_k

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)
« Reply #8000 on: October 25, 2020, 09:57:04 AM »
Can't get excited about payday because the money is already spent*

*allocated to savings and bills, not debt :)

That might be the quintessential MMP.

I was truly excited by payday the very first first paycheck I earned after graduating university. Without it, I would have had to pay interest on a CC. Payday came in time and I paid the balance in full. Every paycheck since has been a little less exciting as it amounts to a smaller and smaller part of my assets. Occasionally I wonder what "paycheck Friday" feels like.

Paycheck Friday has been replaced with update the spreadsheet Saturday. Very exciting.

So true. ;)

This week we got word of furloughs happening, so I sat down and plotted out the budget for each month of 2021. Nerds unite!

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8001 on: October 25, 2020, 05:54:44 PM »
Now that we work from home and don't go any where unless it is necessary I have to remember to make effort to drive my car once a while so the car battery won't go dead.

A few weeks ago I had to drive my car aimlessly for an hour or so to re-charge the battery. 

I am still using the gas that I filled up in February.
My car hasn't started in like 3 months, there's a minor fault in the electrical system that drains the battery and I just gave up.  I might get that fixed then sell it.

The beater I'm driving here in Korea had a similar problem. I drive it so infrequently that I didn't bother to get it fixed and I let it sit in the garage for five months. I finally got it jumped and took it in. The next day (and one hour of labor charged) I had it back working fine. Alarm system wire had a short.  I drive it maybe a couple miles per week.  This week I'll fill it up again (or maybe just half way). The last time I put fuel in it was probably around February as well.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8002 on: October 25, 2020, 07:47:05 PM »
Now that we work from home and don't go any where unless it is necessary I have to remember to make effort to drive my car once a while so the car battery won't go dead.

A few weeks ago I had to drive my car aimlessly for an hour or so to re-charge the battery. 

You might want to consider adding gas stabilizer or draining it out.  I have no real idea how big a problem it could be but I didn’t want to risk it.

I also use a battery tender although it’s still a good idea to drive a little so the tires rotate and try to burn off any moisture in the oil.

Gosh, since I replaced the gasoline mower with a nice Ryobi electric a few years ago, I don't have any stabilizer.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8003 on: October 26, 2020, 08:50:19 AM »

You might want to consider adding gas stabilizer or draining it out.  I have no real idea how big a problem it could be but I didn’t want to risk it.

I also use a battery tender although it’s still a good idea to drive a little so the tires rotate and try to burn off any moisture in the oil.

Gosh, since I replaced the gasoline mower with a nice Ryobi electric a few years ago, I don't have any stabilizer.

I last purchased gas in March.  Probably a good idea to look for some fuel stabilizer.  Thanks for the reminder!

PhilB

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8004 on: October 29, 2020, 07:11:34 AM »
MPP:  My spending is so far under budget this year that I had to make that column wider in Excel.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8005 on: October 29, 2020, 08:30:40 AM »

I last purchased gas in March.  Probably a good idea to look for some fuel stabilizer.  Thanks for the reminder!

I thought about this, and did buy some fuel stabilizer. For the lawn mower gas if nothing else! Now the problem is I need to remember to actually use it (and figure out how to use it, but that's a matter of reading the instructions).

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8006 on: October 29, 2020, 10:26:58 AM »
I always put the fuel stabilizer in the gas can as soon as I get home. Funny story, though... my ten year old daughter had to show me an easier way to get the stabilizer liquid into the measuring part of the container. You open the lid and squeeze the main bottle. It’s like magic. I had been playing this tilt and shake game for years.

Sometimes I feel like an idiot...

anotherAlias

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8007 on: October 29, 2020, 02:52:16 PM »
Yesterday I logged in to Vanguard to invest in my after tax account.  I got a prompt to transition my Roth and rollover ira to the new brokerage account structure.  Since I'll have to do it eventually, I went ahead and kicked off the transition process.  Today I logged i to Personal Capital to see where this weeks market gyrations put me net worth-wise.  I about had a heart attack when I saw my total was over a million.  I completely forgot about yesterday's transactions. It took me a minute to realize it was because Vanguard was still in the middle of switching my accounts and my Roth and Rollover IRAs were being counted twice.  Being a fake millionaire was nice for that minute before my memory kicked in ;)
I can't wait to join the double comma club for real!

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8008 on: October 29, 2020, 03:02:46 PM »
Yesterday I logged in to Vanguard to invest in my after tax account.  I got a prompt to transition my Roth and rollover ira to the new brokerage account structure.  Since I'll have to do it eventually, I went ahead and kicked off the transition process.  Today I logged i to Personal Capital to see where this weeks market gyrations put me net worth-wise.  I about had a heart attack when I saw my total was over a million.  I completely forgot about yesterday's transactions. It took me a minute to realize it was because Vanguard was still in the middle of switching my accounts and my Roth and Rollover IRAs were being counted twice.  Being a fake millionaire was nice for that minute before my memory kicked in ;)

I felt your excitement about a week ago.   I set up my accounts in Quicken and downloaded the balances and recent transactions.   For one 401K provider, it entered my current balance as the starting balance and then created additional transactions to add my current balance to the account, doubling those balances.   An extra half a million showed up!   

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
  • Engineer, explorer, investor
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #8009 on: October 29, 2020, 03:36:20 PM »

I felt your excitement about a week ago.   I set up my accounts in Quicken and downloaded the balances and recent transactions.   For one 401K provider, it entered my current balance as the starting balance and then created additional transactions to add my current balance to the account, doubling those balances.   An extra half a million showed up!   

DW and I have our separate retirement accounts at Vanguard, and last year we opened a joint account for taxable savings. The joint account is visible to either of us when we log into Vanguard... Which means Mint sees it twice. It didn't really matter at first, but the account has grown to a relevant percentage of our net worth and Mint is doubling that. Eventually I created a manual "debt" to correct for it.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8010 on: October 29, 2020, 05:23:07 PM »

DW and I have our separate retirement accounts at Vanguard, and last year we opened a joint account for taxable savings. The joint account is visible to either of us when we log into Vanguard... Which means Mint sees it twice. It didn't really matter at first, but the account has grown to a relevant percentage of our net worth and Mint is doubling that. Eventually I created a manual "debt" to correct for it.

Interesting!   Quicken was smart enough not to do that for us.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #8011 on: October 29, 2020, 07:37:13 PM »

PC is becoming hot garbage.  I have multiple accounts that will stop working, then come back later but there’s 50 accounts each with the same total balance so I never know which day I’m going to wake up with 8 figures

(It’ll be like “401k-balance” “401k-recent” “401k-holdings” “401k-transactions” and so on.  Then a few days later they disappear or I delete them but they stop updating again

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8012 on: November 01, 2020, 07:01:25 AM »

My biggest beef with PC is that when you go to close the old account, there never seems to be a perfect day to list it as closed on. If you do it on the day you still have a balance, it artificially marks your balance as high. if you do it as the day it read $0, it leaves a huge dip in your daily balances and counts the new account as a deposit, artificially inflating your savings rate for the whole year. Once you mark it closed, I don't think you can edit the date either.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8013 on: November 01, 2020, 02:52:22 PM »
Hit a milestone NW in June. Just noticed it today. Like, really, I've been doing my monthly summation every month but do you think I actually realize that I hit a milestone?!? Nope. Not until I'm halfway to the next one.

I blame the pandemic.

BicycleB

• Walrus Stache
  • Older than the internet, but not wiser... yet
« Reply #8014 on: November 01, 2020, 06:39:14 PM »
Hit a milestone NW in June. Just noticed it today. Like, really, I've been doing my monthly summation every month but do you think I actually realize that I hit a milestone?!? Nope. Not until I'm halfway to the next one.

I blame the pandemic.

LOL

Uturn

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8015 on: November 02, 2020, 06:03:29 AM »
I got an alert from TurboTax that my credit score has dropped 20 points.  So I looked it up and yes, it is down to 780.  The reason, my only debt is time between a CC purchase and the next payday when I pay it off.  I'm starting to look for a house to buy, so maybe a mortgage would push it back up a bit.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #8016 on: November 02, 2020, 06:47:48 AM »
I got an alert from TurboTax that my credit score has dropped 20 points.  So I looked it up and yes, it is down to 780.  The reason, my only debt is time between a CC purchase and the next payday when I pay it off.  I'm starting to look for a house to buy, so maybe a mortgage would push it back up a bit.

Do you wait for the statement? Our only debt is revolving cc and we each have high scores.

Uturn

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8017 on: November 02, 2020, 06:52:15 AM »
Do you wait for the statement? Our only debt is revolving cc and we each have high scores.

Nope, I usually pay it on Friday, sometimes it might slip to the following week.

sherr

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8018 on: November 02, 2020, 07:42:00 AM »

Nope, I usually pay it on Friday, sometimes it might slip to the following week.

Consider waiting until at least the monthly statement to pay it. Often the cashback or airline miles or whatever are calculated based on what the statement says. And that's what's reported to the credit bureaus, so that's what affects your credit score. And it doesn't cost a single penny to wait, you only pay interest if you don't pay the whole bill by the due date.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8019 on: November 02, 2020, 07:45:44 AM »
780 sounds like a high score to me. I think that’s why it’s on this thread.

One MPP I’ve noticed over and over is that when people post their amusing little “problems” here we always try to fix them whether they need fixing or not. Truly a generous community!

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #8020 on: November 02, 2020, 07:50:13 AM »

One MPP I’ve noticed over and over is that when people post their amusing little “problems” here we always try to fix them whether they need fixing or not. Truly a generous community!

It is high, but is it high enough to get the best rate for that anticipated mortgage?

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #8021 on: November 02, 2020, 09:27:55 AM »

It is high, but is it high enough to get the best rate for that anticipated mortgage?

I thought anything over 720 was pretty much the best rate but i do believe you can get slightly better.  More importantly you have wiggle room when it drops between your first hard pull and the later soft pull they do before closing

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8022 on: November 02, 2020, 09:30:27 AM »

I thought anything over 720 was pretty much the best rate but i do believe you can get slightly better.  More importantly you have wiggle room when it drops between your first hard pull and the later soft pull they do before closing

Due to credit card churning, I don't think my score will ever exceed 750. Having a dozen recent inquiries on the credit report at a time looks a little ugly.

However, I'm fairly certain that I got as good of a rate as I could have back when I refinanced, and my score was around 720 at the time.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8023 on: November 02, 2020, 10:21:03 AM »
MPP:  my taxes are too low.   I can't use a $150 tax credit for a new furnace because that exceeds my taxes.

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8024 on: November 02, 2020, 10:29:40 AM »
MPP:  my taxes are too low.   I can't use a $150 tax credit for a new furnace because that exceeds my taxes.

Harvest capital gains?  Roth conversions?

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8025 on: November 02, 2020, 11:28:03 AM »

Harvest capital gains?  Roth conversions?

I've already got a IRA SEPP 72(t) that fills up the taxable.   I've harvested gains already.  I figure I'm close enough to 0 taxes that I'll not worry about it.    Just an example of a MPP.
If the market hits a record high again, I might do some more tax gain harvesting.

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8026 on: November 02, 2020, 11:37:10 AM »

I refinanced my mortgage earlier this year. After the close of the refi, I noticed my credit score dropped. Upon further examination, it was because I refinanced my loan and now my loan amount was almost the same as the amount due (as in, I had a (eg) 500k loan and I owed 498k). The funny part is we have a million in equity in our house. But because we refinanced the numbers are how they are - my score dropped. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8027 on: November 02, 2020, 11:54:14 AM »

I refinanced my mortgage earlier this year. After the close of the refi, I noticed my credit score dropped. Upon further examination, it was because I refinanced my loan and now my loan amount was almost the same as the amount due (as in, I had a (eg) 500k loan and I owed 498k). The funny part is we have a million in equity in our house. But because we refinanced the numbers are how they are - my score dropped. Stupid, stupid, stupid.
A lot of this credit scoring is stupid for a mustachian, because it's based on statistics. And MMMers are always statistical outliers.

I do not understand that though. You had a loan for 500K and now you still have one for 500K and that lowered your score?

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8028 on: November 02, 2020, 12:24:59 PM »

A lot of this credit scoring is stupid for a mustachian, because it's based on statistics. And MMMers are always statistical outliers.

I do not understand that though. You had a loan for 500K and now you still have one for 500K and that lowered your score?

No - we've been here for several years. I don't even remember what our original loan was. Maybe 800k. We've paid it down to around 500k so that's what we refinanced our new loan for - a new loan of 500k with a lower APR.

And yes, I couldn't care less about my score- not doing anything with it for a long time hopefully.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8029 on: November 02, 2020, 12:44:33 PM »
I’m curious about the obsession with credit scores. DW and I have great scores with a combination of mortgage, credit cards (paid off in full each month), a car loan every once in a while over the years (paid off early), and money in the bank. Getting a loan has always been super easy, even years ago at the beginning of our FI journey. A few times our scores have crept up close to “perfect”, but they never stay there even as our finances strengthen. At the same time, our scores are high enough that they don’t seem to hold us back for, getting the best rates.

Is there more to “perfect” scores than I realize, or have I been winning the game for so long that I have forgotten that it’s hard when you’re just starting to play?

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8030 on: November 02, 2020, 01:18:54 PM »
I think it can be hard when you have shorter history or lower income or a higher debt to income ratio

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #8031 on: November 02, 2020, 01:50:29 PM »

Which does have the advantage of giving us 162 pages and counting of MPPs...

AO1FireTo

• Stubble
« Reply #8032 on: November 02, 2020, 06:45:15 PM »
Here is my MPP,

We bought a condo for my wife's parents, we put down 70% on the purchase with the plan to pay it off very quickly.  It was so hard to get the mortgage for the 30% because of all the work I had to do to actually prove I had the money.  The mortgage agent told me it's a lot easier when people only put down like 10%.  BTW fully paid off now, I hate debt.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #8033 on: November 02, 2020, 07:08:34 PM »
Here is my MPP,

We bought a condo for my wife's parents, we put down 70% on the purchase with the plan to pay it off very quickly.  It was so hard to get the mortgage for the 30% because of all the work I had to do to actually prove I had the money.  The mortgage agent told me it's a lot easier when people only put down like 10%.  BTW fully paid off now, I hate debt.

What would have happened if you'd only put 10% down, then paid another 60% on the day after it closed?

AO1FireTo

• Stubble
« Reply #8034 on: November 02, 2020, 09:12:04 PM »
Here is my MPP,

What would have happened if you'd only put 10% down, then paid another 60% on the day after it closed?

There are limits on how much principle repayments you can do each year.  So I wouldn't have been able to do the full amount without a three month penalty.  It was really strange, I thought it would be easy.  This guy has the money approved.  It was more like how the @$@#$ does he have 70% to put down.

Plina

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8035 on: November 02, 2020, 10:57:33 PM »
Here is my MPP,

There are limits on how much principle repayments you can do each year.  So I wouldn't have been able to do the full amount without a three month penalty.  It was really strange, I thought it would be easy.  This guy has the money approved.  It was more like how the @$@#$ does he have 70% to put down.

Year, having money is suspicious. Due to money laundering laws the banks here are more like having customer annoying services than the little customer services they had previoulsy. I was transfering several large sums to different accounts online brockerage accounts, The second or third transfer was blocked. I had to go through the bank web site and make a transfer with a two factor authorization instead of the normal route.

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #8036 on: November 08, 2020, 07:32:26 AM »
[Wonderful life lessons. Once you learn and accept that you are different, it frees you.
/quote]

@Loren Ver , you are spot on correct.

My wife and son used to suffer from what I call "Un-coolitus", the fear of not being seen to be cool.

It took awhile, but they finally learned that the coolest thing in the world is someone having a truly awesome time whilst not harming anyone in the process.   So much happier!

@SwordGuy Being mainstream cool is overrated.  Very few (very boring, in my opinion) people get to determine what is cool.  What's the fun in that?  Being happy and free wins every time.  :).  Or one can just make up their own definition of 'cool" and just ignore the mainstream cool kids.  You know, what ever works, being free and all :D. 

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8037 on: November 08, 2020, 08:58:24 AM »
[Wonderful life lessons. Once you learn and accept that you are different, it frees you.

@Loren Ver , you are spot on correct.

My wife and son used to suffer from what I call "Un-coolitus", the fear of not being seen to be cool.

It took awhile, but they finally learned that the coolest thing in the world is someone having a truly awesome time whilst not harming anyone in the process.   So much happier!

@SwordGuy Being mainstream cool is overrated.  Very few (very boring, in my opinion) people get to determine what is cool.  What's the fun in that?  Being happy and free wins every time.  :).  Or one can just make up their own definition of 'cool" and just ignore the mainstream cool kids.  You know, what ever works, being free and all :D.
Sit down and I share an ancient wisdom with you: You are cool when you don't care about being cool.
Of course you might be seem as stupid, but don't worry, once people know you are a millionaire, that will change into merely eccentric.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2020, 09:00:14 AM by LennStar »

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #8038 on: November 10, 2020, 09:14:43 PM »
Here is my MPP,

I feel like banks know someone coming in with 70% is going to rapidly pay off the loan so they don’t want to go to the trouble of originating it

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8039 on: November 10, 2020, 09:17:50 PM »
Here is my MPP,

I feel like banks know someone coming in with 70% is going to rapidly pay off the loan so they don’t want to go to the trouble of originating it
What do they care? It’s Freddie and Fanny’s problem.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8040 on: November 11, 2020, 04:11:48 AM »
Here is my MPP,

The problem is that the costs for the bank are the same, but you pay less interest to them. So they encourage low percentages.
Also banks are used to 10%, they do it themselves at this level. Using your own money feels wrong for banks from both sides.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8041 on: November 11, 2020, 09:57:15 AM »
Here is my MPP,

The problem is that the costs for the bank are the same, but you pay less interest to them. So they encourage low percentages.
Also banks are used to 10%, they do it themselves at this level. Using your own money feels wrong for banks from both sides.

If the bank sells off the loan to Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac, the bank no longer gets interest on the loan.   That's the point.

They may get a servicing fee for handling monthly payments but that's a different pot of money.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #8042 on: November 11, 2020, 01:56:04 PM »
Not all mortgages are sold.  There was also a guy in here saying that originators can be penalized if a mortgage is refinanced quickly.  In other words, paid off. 

When a loan is paid off, servicing fees also go away

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8043 on: November 11, 2020, 02:29:39 PM »
Not all mortgages are sold.  There was also a guy in here saying that originators can be penalized if a mortgage is refinanced quickly.  In other words, paid off. 

Well then, Quicken Loans probably paid a penalty since I paid my mortgage off in 10 months.

That will serve them right for twice trying to "accidentally" stick me with a 1% points fee we hadn't agreed to.

Karma.   Sweet.

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #8044 on: November 11, 2020, 02:59:23 PM »

The last mortgage broker I worked with did say he loses his commission on any loans that are paid off in less than a year.

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #8045 on: November 11, 2020, 02:59:52 PM »

Well then, Quicken Loans probably paid a penalty since I paid my mortgage off in 10 months.

That will serve them right for twice trying to "accidentally" stick me with a 1% points fee we hadn't agreed to.

Karma.   Sweet.

That is a little bonus there!

AerynLee

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8046 on: November 17, 2020, 08:42:32 AM »
I keep a spreadsheet projecting our taxes for the year. With three paychecks each left, DH and I are projected to be ~$600 away from maxing out the 12% tax bracket even with putting ~$9k in each of our 401ks (could have been higher but we were preparing to buy a new house). But that does not include bonuses that we are both expecting to get or any overtime DH may get (minimal, but could be some). I have no idea what my bonus will be since this is only my second year with the company and there are large (positive) changes coming at the end of the year. We just moved and still own our old home so I'm reluctant to just bump up our 401k's since I don't know how much we'll need to stay in the 12% bracket or how long we'll own both houses. We've been maxing out our ROTH IRA's so I could recharacterize some of those, but we're way behind on the ROTHs and trying to catch up

TLDR: We made enough money that we may need to either not put as much in our ROTHS or pay 22% Federal income tax

sherr

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8047 on: November 17, 2020, 08:55:01 AM »
TLDR: We made enough money that we may need to either not put as much in our ROTHS or pay 22% Federal income tax

Hey, this may not be the case here but just in case I want to clear up a commonly-held misconception.

If you do bump up into the 22% tax bracket, all that means is that is that those few hundred dollars that pushed you into that bracket are taxed at 22%. The rest of your income is still taxed at 0% (deduction) or 10% (first bracket) or 12% (second bracket).

If your goal here is simply to squeeze every last bit of tax advantage out of your ROTH IRAs, then have fun. But if you're worried that all your other income will be retroactively taxed at 22% just because you barely edged into that bracket, then be reassured that that is not how it works.

AerynLee

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8048 on: November 17, 2020, 09:17:08 AM »

Hey, this may not be the case here but just in case I want to clear up a commonly-held misconception.

If you do bump up into the 22% tax bracket, all that means is that is that those few hundred dollars that pushed you into that bracket are taxed at 22%. The rest of your income is still taxed at 0% (deduction) or 10% (first bracket) or 12% (second bracket).

If your goal here is simply to squeeze every last bit of tax advantage out of your ROTH IRAs, then have fun. But if you're worried that all your other income will be retroactively taxed at 22% just because you barely edged into that bracket, then be reassured that that is not how it works.
Haha, thanks, but I'm a tax accountant so I actually do get this, though I see sssssoooooo many people that don't. Just trying to get my taxable income right at the top of the 12% tax bracket while maxing the ROTH IRA's.
I was actually hoping to do a ROTH conversion this year, but between not putting as much in 401ks due to prepping to buy a house and DH getting a sweet spot with the Federal unemployment (10% hours cut for a net extra of $530/week for 14 weeks, but no 401k withholding) our taxable income ended up higher than it expected at the beginning of the year

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8049 on: November 17, 2020, 03:11:48 PM »
Current estimated tax burden  $31 ,  Tax credit of $150 for new high efficiency furnace, can't be applied because of low taxes.
Can't really generate enough taxable income since my capital gains and dividends are well below the 72K limit.
Don't need the money this year. Don't want to have that much cash lying around rotting with inflation.
Certainly don't want a J-O-B to generate taxable income.    Maybe some unqualified dividends will be issued as a surprise in December.

MPP:  oh woe is me     :-)