Author Topic: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)  (Read 5086706 times)

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)
« Reply #7950 on: September 21, 2020, 08:26:12 AM »
MPP: at some point this summer I finally found some of my preferred toilet paper in the local drugstore for a decent price - not the package I usually buy (double rolls) but the "mega" size rolls. Well, who cares, right? Except I just found out that the mega sized rolls don't fit on my toilet paper holder, properly or balanced atop it. And my tiny apartment bathroom doesn't really have anywhere to put it because every available surface is used for storage or is not a good place to put it (liable to be knocked over/get wet/etc.).

I refuse to buy a new toilet paper holder, obviously. And I can't possibly get rid of the toilet paper and buy something that works in my bathroom, because that would be wasteful. I'm thinking about using the plunger handle as a stand-up toilet roll holder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLq6whfg2pA

My toilet paper roll holder broke sometime around 2010 and at that point I realized toilet paper roll holders are a complete and total scam--not a single one of them should have ever been sold. Since the break the toilet paper sits happily on the shelf next to the toilet and weird, the world hasn't ended.

Some toilet paper holders are scams.  But some are functional works of art.

Don't malign the simple toilet paper holder simply because you're using the wrong one.

:P

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7951 on: September 21, 2020, 08:43:31 AM »
Toilet paper holders are necessary in our house! They are a designated place for toilet paper to be and because they are anchored in place it is much more likely for tp to actually be where it’s supposed to be, unlike when you designate a shelf space for tp, there is no guarantee that tp will actually be returned to the designated place. I speak from experience.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #7952 on: September 22, 2020, 01:19:18 PM »

My toilet paper roll holder broke sometime around 2010 and at that point I realized toilet paper roll holders are a complete and total scam--not a single one of them should have ever been sold. Since the break the toilet paper sits happily on the shelf next to the toilet and weird, the world hasn't ended.

Only works if you've got two hands available.
I also need two hands to get the paper off the roll. One for stopping to roll and one to get the paper.
I don't see the difference and since I moved I also don't use a holder anymore since I have a perfectly placed *lack of English word* besides the throne. If you have a bare wall there though it's better to have a holder, dragoncar.

You gotta practice the pull-n-snap.  Have you tried adjusting your papyric tensioner?

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7953 on: September 22, 2020, 04:58:29 PM »
I forgot my lunch AND didn't get my parking validated before the one person in the office who can authorize validation left for the day. $23 I wasn't expecting to spend! AAARGH.

I did manage to get to the library to get my book on hold before it closed. And I have enough leftovers from lunch to eat for dinner. Small succor to a bereft Mustachian.

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7954 on: September 22, 2020, 05:55:27 PM »
MPP: at some point this summer I finally found some of my preferred toilet paper in the local drugstore for a decent price - not the package I usually buy (double rolls) but the "mega" size rolls. Well, who cares, right? Except I just found out that the mega sized rolls don't fit on my toilet paper holder, properly or balanced atop it. And my tiny apartment bathroom doesn't really have anywhere to put it because every available surface is used for storage or is not a good place to put it (liable to be knocked over/get wet/etc.).

I refuse to buy a new toilet paper holder, obviously. And I can't possibly get rid of the toilet paper and buy something that works in my bathroom, because that would be wasteful. I'm thinking about using the plunger handle as a stand-up toilet roll holder.

I think I detect a theme there.    What do your wall sconces and table lamps look like?

Don't malign the simple toilet paper holder simply because you're using the wrong one.

I think I detect a theme there.    What do your wall sconces and table lamps look like?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 06:02:20 PM by scottish »

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7955 on: September 22, 2020, 06:03:30 PM »

Um our cop cars are Blue (state and City) or White and gold/tan (county). I’ve never heard of a car being called a black and white.
Ours are black and white but generally called police cars or cop cars.
They were all black and white when Broderick Crawford was chief!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9TmHkkQVpo

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #7956 on: September 22, 2020, 06:54:51 PM »

Um our cop cars are Blue (state and City) or White and gold/tan (county). I’ve never heard of a car being called a black and white.

Funny thing about black and white cars.  They are actually yellow to make them easy to find in a crash.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7957 on: September 23, 2020, 03:32:14 AM »

Funny thing about black and white cars.  They are actually yellow to make them easy to find in a crash.
With orange foam.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7958 on: September 24, 2020, 06:50:04 AM »

The guy that owns this cool Portland Bike Shed airbnb used to hang out here, but I can't remember his name. Maybe he will see these fine accessories, which would complement his decor nicely...

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/12230518?source_impression_id=p3_1600951405_W65IHgoYXjSBcuq8

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7959 on: September 24, 2020, 07:50:46 AM »

Pretty standard stuff.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7960 on: September 29, 2020, 07:29:53 PM »
A very serious MPP that I'm posting here as a sort of PSA, since I've seen people talking about it on this forum a number of times.

An acquaintance of mine - a previously healthy man in his early 40s - started having some problems out of nowhere... he fell, he couldn't figure out some app on his phone that he uses all the time. Odd stuff. His ex took him to the ER because she thought something was really wrong with him. Long story short, he needs brain surgery (best case scenario) or months to years of radiation therapy (worst case). Guess what? He's a really frugal guy. So frugal, he opted out of his employer-provided health insurance plan so he wouldn't have to pay the premiums, even though he has a good job that pays well. Zero medical coverage. Not sure what he's going to do. :-(

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7961 on: September 29, 2020, 07:56:44 PM »
A very serious MPP that I'm posting here as a sort of PSA, since I've seen people talking about it on this forum a number of times.

An acquaintance of mine - a previously healthy man in his early 40s - started having some problems out of nowhere... he fell, he couldn't figure out some app on his phone that he uses all the time. Odd stuff. His ex took him to the ER because she thought something was really wrong with him. Long story short, he needs brain surgery (best case scenario) or months to years of radiation therapy (worst case). Guess what? He's a really frugal guy. So frugal, he opted out of his employer-provided health insurance plan so he wouldn't have to pay the premiums, even though he has a good job that pays well. Zero medical coverage. Not sure what he's going to do. :-(

If he opted out relatively recently, it might have been due to the brain tumour - and that might be a valid argument to get it reinstated, paying back premiums of course.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7962 on: September 29, 2020, 08:24:29 PM »

If he opted out relatively recently, it might have been due to the brain tumour - and that might be a valid argument to get it reinstated, paying back premiums of course.

His brother is going to call his employer and ask if there's anything they can do, but I doubt it unless he is very lucky and it's open enrollment. It's not cancer - it's some kind of vascular thing (I heard it all over the phone via a third party so I don't have the exact details). Sounded sort of similar to an aneurysm, but not that - some kind of defect in the artery behind his eye. His confusion etc. was probably due to something that happened suddenly like a clot or bleeding in the brain.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7963 on: September 30, 2020, 03:03:49 AM »

His brother is going to call his employer and ask if there's anything they can do, but I doubt it unless he is very lucky and it's open enrollment. It's not cancer - it's some kind of vascular thing (I heard it all over the phone via a third party so I don't have the exact details). Sounded sort of similar to an aneurysm, but not that - some kind of defect in the artery behind his eye. His confusion etc. was probably due to something that happened suddenly like a clot or bleeding in the brain.
It's possible that the AVM was pressing on his frontal lobe so it could have been affecting his executive functioning. If he can get a note from a doctor to back this up he has a good case with the insurance company. The hospital social worker is a good resource too.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7964 on: October 02, 2020, 08:53:29 AM »
We're newbie home owners.  Just got our first tax bill, went back through my notes from when we were buying the house, oh yeah, that's  paid through escrow but I need to make sure the mortgage company gets the bill... I hunted around on the mortgage company website and found a mailing address to send tax info to.  Why oh why isn't there an upload tab in my account!?!  Why do I have to mail this off into the ether?

But the real problem is that there's a 2% discount if it's paid within 30 days... I have little faith that the mortgage company get through it in time to take advantage of that.. ugh! I hate missing a discount for an unavoidable expense.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7965 on: October 02, 2020, 09:06:06 AM »
We're newbie home owners.  Just got our first tax bill, went back through my notes from when we were buying the house, oh yeah, that's  paid through escrow but I need to make sure the mortgage company gets the bill... I hunted around on the mortgage company website and found a mailing address to send tax info to.  Why oh why isn't there an upload tab in my account!?!  Why do I have to mail this off into the ether?

But the real problem is that there's a 2% discount if it's paid within 30 days... I have little faith that the mortgage company get through it in time to take advantage of that.. ugh! I hate missing a discount for an unavoidable expense.
Ultimately, the payment of taxes is your responsibility and the Tax Assessor is not known for showing any degree of leniency.  Missing out on 2% is a damn sight better than the penalty for being late.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7966 on: October 02, 2020, 09:36:34 AM »

Ultimately, the payment of taxes is your responsibility and the Tax Assessor is not known for showing any degree of leniency.  Missing out on 2% is a damn sight better than the penalty for being late.

Well I'm anxious about it (of course!)! But they have 90 days before any penalties and I should get notified when they pay.  I'll set a reminder to check on... and hope for the best! 

It would be so much easier to walk down to the courthouse and drop a check in their drop box...

On the bright side, our house is small and isn't worth a whole lot, and the taxes are low, much lower than what we've been putting in to escrow, so a 2% discount or even the 20% penalties really don't add up to much... definitely not breaking the bank and we should get a nice chunk back from escrow. 

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7967 on: October 02, 2020, 10:00:45 AM »

Why can't you just pay it and let your mortgage company refund your escrow?

sherr

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7968 on: October 02, 2020, 10:09:31 AM »

To state it more directly: you can just pay it yourself and let your mortgage company refund your escrow. I'm not an expert, but I think there's really three scenarios:
  • You pay, and you tell your mortgage company to refund you. They should cut you a check.
  • You pay, and don't tell your mortgage company anything, and they were unaware of the tax bill. They may get confused about why the tax bill never came and reach out, or maybe they'll just automatically re-adjust your escrow payment to be lower to only cover the insurance (plus a year or two of you now having to pay in since you already have enough there to cover the insurance for a while).
  • You pay, and don't tell your mortgage company anything, and then they double-pay. The state should cut you an over-payment check.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7969 on: October 02, 2020, 02:17:36 PM »
In France (~75% nuclear electricity ) they do, using Westinghouse-style Pressurized Water Reactors (PWR).
France often has to buy huge amounts of Energy from Germany (regeneratives) during winter and summer. Whenever the weather gets somehow extreme.
So it's not as if those reactors are making a stable energy grid.

Especially with higher and longer high temepratues due to climate change nuclear has a big problem getting cooling water since the rivers can get so warm they can't use any of it.
I don't understand blaming climate change for the problems.  It's not something that has happened suddenly.  According to NOAA, we're about two degrees Fahrenheit warmer than 150 years ago, and temperatures have actually been sorta flat the last five years.  Power plants get built a whole lot faster :)

Sure, you can spin out a 12 MW CT in fifteen months, but building the kind of serious Coal or Nuclear power plant talked about up-thread takes a long time. Five years is a very short cycle in that business.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #7970 on: October 03, 2020, 06:07:13 AM »
You don’t have to wait until open enrollment if you have a “life event”.  Some of these life events are completely voluntary

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7971 on: October 03, 2020, 11:18:36 AM »
Yeah whenever I feel like resetting my deductible I just spin up a temporary kid instance.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7972 on: October 03, 2020, 12:05:57 PM »

To state it more directly: you can just pay it yourself and let your mortgage company refund your escrow. I'm not an expert, but I think there's really three scenarios:
  • You pay, and you tell your mortgage company to refund you. They should cut you a check.
  • You pay, and don't tell your mortgage company anything, and they were unaware of the tax bill. They may get confused about why the tax bill never came and reach out, or maybe they'll just automatically re-adjust your escrow payment to be lower to only cover the insurance (plus a year or two of you now having to pay in since you already have enough there to cover the insurance for a while).
  • You pay, and don't tell your mortgage company anything, and then they double-pay. The state should cut you an over-payment check.

I suppose... I already sent it off the mortgage company so we’ll see what happens. I don’t anticipate it being a big deal but it is a bother.

Alfred J Quack

• Bristles
« Reply #7973 on: October 04, 2020, 02:00:27 AM »
In windows there are security settings that have to be set correctly to get the camera and microphone to work with zoom and other web apps.    You'll have to google it.

I worked as IT help desk support for a small biz for 18 years alongside many other job titles, so I don't really need the "google it" level of advice... but thanks anyway. I did try to set the settings correctly, but it didn't do what it was supposed to and I didn't have a lot of time to figure it out pre-meeting (and I haven't needed it since). I'll give it another shot at some point before actually spending money on something.

Knowing me, I probably unchecked the option to include a webcam when I ordered it to save $7... :-P  Who knew we'd all be spending our lives in video conferences in 2020.

Reminds me of all the DOD contractor laptops i've seen where they paid someone to take the camera out... I wonder if they had to pay someone to put some of them back in this year...

Not DOD, but within DHS.  Pre Covid, we had limited non blue line access with our laptops.  No video and only 10% of the work force could be use it at the same time.  Miraculously over the course of a weekend in March the system was upgrade so we could massively work from home and use video too.  Which mean the CIO’s office had the solution already and somebody kept saying we don’t need to do that.
Probably just the cost that "couldn't be justified".

At work we work from home too. Basically anyone with an account can login from home but certain departments have managers that appearently think that day-to-day work is more important than staying healthy. I gently reminded those coworkers that the facilities are available and the rule from the board is to work from home where possible and if they have any technical issues to call me.

To my mustachian problem. Bought a used Nissan Leaf with subsidy from the state (2k off). Drives great, is silent but my workplace did something funny with the chargers because I'm charging for free (with my private, not company, card). I now feel obliged to ask them whether this was on purpose and happy charging, or an error which they need to correct. I'd hate to lose that chargepoint since I don't have a garage/parking place where I can mount my own...

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7974 on: October 05, 2020, 01:27:45 PM »
Unsure if this qualifies for a MPP or maybe a Mustachian's Pet Peeve:

I'm clearing out my garage and getting rid of things I don't need. I placed a Craigslist ad a few months back giving away some car parts for free. No takers even though I renewed the ad weekly. Last night decided to price each item for a buck, $3 total. 

Today a guy messages me saying he can pick it up ASAP. I don't give my address, but I used the CL relay reply email as well as my Google Voice number to message him to meet me at the cul-de-sac (bag-end) on my street for the items. No reply.

I'm assuming people use the term ASAP without a feckin clue. Never had issues selling on CL in 15 years, maybe I was lucky.

Ad: https://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/pts/d/tampa-honda-parts/7208198526.html

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #7975 on: October 05, 2020, 01:46:32 PM »

I'm clearing out my garage and getting rid of things I don't need. I placed a Craigslist ad a few months back giving away some car parts for free. No takers even though I renewed the ad weekly. Last night decided to price each item for a buck, $3 total. 

Today a guy messages me saying he can pick it up ASAP. I don't give my address, but I used the CL relay reply email as well as my Google Voice number to message him to meet me at the cul-de-sac (bag-end) on my street for the items. No reply.

I'm assuming people use the term ASAP without a feckin clue. Never had issues selling on CL in 15 years, maybe I was lucky.

That's the CL pattern, as far as I can tell.  Many, many people will ping you with a text asking if it's still available and that they'll be by to pick it up ASAP.  As soon as you reply in a positive fashion, then they suddenly can't find the time to stop by.

My CL policy is that the first person to show up with cash gets it.  So I don't worry about no-shows or flakes, and I don't hold items for people or worry about being fair.  It's available until someone is on my doorstep and trading me greenbacks for the item.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7976 on: October 06, 2020, 03:56:50 AM »

That's the CL pattern, as far as I can tell.  Many, many people will ping you with a text asking if it's still available and that they'll be by to pick it up ASAP.  As soon as you reply in a positive fashion, then they suddenly can't find the time to stop by.
Well, ASAP means as soon as possible. If it isn't possible this month...

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7977 on: October 06, 2020, 06:16:39 AM »
@jinga nation , is your street really named "Bag End"?

I'd seriously put up with a sub-optimal house if my address could have any of about a dozen places from those books in the street name.

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7978 on: October 06, 2020, 06:31:33 AM »

I'd seriously put up with a sub-optimal house if my address could have any of about a dozen places from those books in the street name.

Oooh!  In undergrad my husband lived on Hobbit Street for a year, and then moved to Underhill Drive.  I always thought it was awesome, until I had to explain WHY so often, haha.  I'd love it if there was really a Bag End.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7979 on: October 06, 2020, 08:06:33 AM »

i don't like the term 'cul-de-sac'. One syllable too many. Sadly I live on just another 'Lane'.
Bag End sounds much better. Hobbitish too.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2020, 08:43:20 AM by jinga nation »

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7980 on: October 06, 2020, 08:53:45 AM »

My CL policy is that the first person to show up with cash gets it.  So I don't worry about no-shows or flakes, and I don't hold items for people or worry about being fair.  It's available until someone is on my doorstep and trading me greenbacks for the item.

At least he was polite to message me this morning apologizing. Have given him tomorrow morning to pick up. No other takers, so beggar me can't choose.

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7981 on: October 19, 2020, 12:24:54 PM »
The oldest kid (14 y.o.) had a project at school where she was supposed to fix the budget of an imaginary guy called Kalle. He spends more than he makes, and wants to save up $40 000 for the down payment on an apartment. My kid took the task seriously; sold his car, got rid of all the loans, and soon had him at a comfortable 63 % savings rate.

Her MPP: the teachers tried telling her that her budget was too extreme, and she had a really hard time convincing them that everything was based on science and experience
My MPP: normally, I let most things glide with the school. But this time I think I'll put in a protest if they give her a lower score.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7982 on: October 19, 2020, 12:46:33 PM »
The oldest kid (14 y.o.) had a project at school where she was supposed to fix the budget of an imaginary guy called Kalle. He spends more than he makes, and wants to save up $40 000 for the down payment on an apartment. My kid took the task seriously; sold his car, got rid of all the loans, and soon had him at a comfortable 63 % savings rate.

Her MPP: the teachers tried telling her that her budget was too extreme, and she had a really hard time convincing them that everything was based on science and experience
My MPP: normally, I let most things glide with the school. But this time I think I'll put in a protest if they give her a lower score.

@gaja ,  check out the blog "No More Harvard Debt".   Guy got tired of $95k in student loans on a $65k salary, so he decided to pay them off in a year.   Sold his expensive toys, rented out 3 bedrooms in his house, quit going out drinking with his buds, and worked a succession of 2nd jobs to raise more money.   Did it in less than a year.

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
  • Engineer, explorer, investor
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #7983 on: October 19, 2020, 12:58:57 PM »

This is awesome! Good job.

Steeze

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7984 on: October 19, 2020, 02:36:04 PM »

Read: Teacher wrote a case study to her freshman class, got offended when told they could save 2/3 of their income. Gave student a bad grade.

The correct answer is, “consolidate the loans at a lower interest rate and make minimum payments to continue lifestyle. Complain about debt while at Starbucks.” For this you get an ‘A’

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7985 on: October 20, 2020, 12:37:04 AM »

My MPP: normally, I let most things glide with the school. But this time I think I'll put in a protest if they give her a lower score

Your kid ROCKS. Can you please follow up and tell us what grade she got and what the "correct" solution turned out to be?

ETA: typos which sounded weirdly aggressive...
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 04:40:56 AM by shelivesthedream »

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #7986 on: October 20, 2020, 01:12:45 AM »

My MPP: normally, I let most things glide with the school. But this time I think I'll put in a protest if they give her a lower score

Your kid ROCKS. YOU CAN please follow up and tell us what grade she got and what the  correct" solution turned out to be.

Ha, this is awesome! Would love to know the outcome too!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 04:39:05 AM by Sanne »

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7987 on: October 20, 2020, 04:28:58 AM »

@gaja ,  check out the blog "No More Harvard Debt".   Guy got tired of $95k in student loans on a $65k salary, so he decided to pay them off in a year.   Sold his expensive toys, rented out 3 bedrooms in his house, quit going out drinking with his buds, and worked a succession of 2nd jobs to raise more money.   Did it in less than a year.
That's awesome. Not something I could make.

To the kid (or better parents): Nicely done! Education through explanation and example!

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #7988 on: October 20, 2020, 08:37:12 AM »

This is good for so many reasons!  Your kid is learning that others do not accept big cut backs as an option to reaching ones goals.  She might also be learning that many people don't understand what an actual goal is (something you are willing to work or even sacrifice for to achieve).  Wonderful life lessons.  Once you learn and accept that you are different, it frees you.

Loren

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7989 on: October 20, 2020, 11:01:12 AM »
[Wonderful life lessons. Once you learn and accept that you are different, it frees you.
/quote]

@Loren Ver , you are spot on correct.

My wife and son used to suffer from what I call "Un-coolitus", the fear of not being seen to be cool.

It took awhile, but they finally learned that the coolest thing in the world is someone having a truly awesome time whilst not harming anyone in the process.   So much happier!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7990 on: October 20, 2020, 11:59:12 AM »

Read: Teacher wrote a case study to her freshman class, got offended when told they could save 2/3 of their income. Gave student a bad grade.

The correct answer is, “consolidate the loans at a lower interest rate and make minimum payments to continue lifestyle. Complain about debt while at Starbucks.” For this you get an ‘A’

Maybe the imaginary guy kalled Kalle was in real life the teacher herself...

Gaja, can you find a reference budget that your daughter can refer to? Or maybe she did that already.

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7991 on: October 20, 2020, 02:22:09 PM »
Thank you all for your kind words - DD really appreciates them :) And thank you for the tip about the Harvard debt blog, @SwordGuy . She loved it!

Maybe the imaginary guy kalled Kalle was in real life the teacher herself...

Gaja, can you find a reference budget that your daughter can refer to? Or maybe she did that already.

She used the SIFO reference budget (https://www.oslomet.no/om/sifo/referansebudsjettet), and listed it in her sources. But she cut his clothes budget a bit lower than the reference budget, since she thought he had enough clothes after a long time of over spending. On the other side, she did spend some money on buying him a decent electric bike, and after he had saved up for the down payment on the apartment he got a luxurious $1000 vacation to England where he could go biking in the countryside and visit the Shambles in York.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7992 on: October 22, 2020, 05:29:44 PM »
Can't get excited about payday because the money is already spent*

*allocated to savings and bills, not debt :)

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
  • Engineer, explorer, investor
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #7993 on: October 22, 2020, 06:06:39 PM »

That might be the quintessential MMP.

I was truly excited by payday the very first first paycheck I earned after graduating university. Without it, I would have had to pay interest on a CC. Payday came in time and I paid the balance in full. Every paycheck since has been a little less exciting as it amounts to a smaller and smaller part of my assets. Occasionally I wonder what "paycheck Friday" feels like.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7994 on: October 22, 2020, 07:36:45 PM »

Nice. When I did this back in early High School a few *ahem* years ago, I had to cut out newspaper clippings to show where I got my values (apartment rent, food, etc) - I also had my dude join the National Guard for extra cash (supported by newspaper clipping.) High savings rate, though I don't remember exactly what it was.

cookielover

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7995 on: October 24, 2020, 05:26:37 PM »
Now that we work from home and don't go any where unless it is necessary I have to remember to make effort to drive my car once a while so the car battery won't go dead.

A few weeks ago I had to drive my car aimlessly for an hour or so to re-charge the battery. 

I am still using the gas that I filled up in February.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #7996 on: October 24, 2020, 07:57:33 PM »
Now that we work from home and don't go any where unless it is necessary I have to remember to make effort to drive my car once a while so the car battery won't go dead.

A few weeks ago I had to drive my car aimlessly for an hour or so to re-charge the battery. 

My car hasn't started in like 3 months, there's a minor fault in the electrical system that drains the battery and I just gave up.  I might get that fixed then sell it.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7997 on: October 24, 2020, 08:11:08 PM »

Right now I am driving several days a week to my community garden.  Once it is put to bed for the winter all my driving will be within a few km of home, and most likely once a week or less.  I see some random highway driving in my future.

Steeze

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7998 on: October 24, 2020, 08:11:44 PM »

That might be the quintessential MMP.

I was truly excited by payday the very first first paycheck I earned after graduating university. Without it, I would have had to pay interest on a CC. Payday came in time and I paid the balance in full. Every paycheck since has been a little less exciting as it amounts to a smaller and smaller part of my assets. Occasionally I wonder what "paycheck Friday" feels like.

Paycheck Friday has been replaced with update the spreadsheet Saturday. Very exciting.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #7999 on: October 25, 2020, 12:14:25 AM »

You might want to consider adding gas stabilizer or draining it out.  I have no real idea how big a problem it could be but I didn’t want to risk it.

I also use a battery tender although it’s still a good idea to drive a little so the tires rotate and try to burn off any moisture in the oil.