Author Topic: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)  (Read 5086756 times)

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)
« Reply #7900 on: September 09, 2020, 01:01:38 PM »
Oh that's odd.  I've always been able to redeem it at the normal register in a separate transaction.

Yep, as noted - my local Costco does not like to cash out the check at the normal register. You have to go to a separate register (possibly waiting for a cashier) - then wait for person in a red vest to come validate the check.
FTFY

Nope. That's not the terminology used in my Costco, thus it is an incorrect "correction".
My brother has worked for Costco for almost thirty years. They're known for treating their people well. I suspect if they say it, it's said jokingly, by individuals. It is not their corporate culture. The people who wear red vests are Supervisors and paid accordingly. No member should treat them as a "vest" instead of a person. Therefore, I do not stand corrected. No need for you or anyone to treat a hard working person who busts tail* during a pandemic so that you and your family can get the things you need like anything less that a full human being.

Did you touch a nerve? You bet your ass you did. I am grateful for every single person I see working in any store anywhere during this pandemic. I don't hesitate to look them in the eye and thank them. At Costco, every single person wears a name badge. Look at it. Greet them and thank them by name. You'd be surprised at the results.

Fun fact: at Costco when the pandemic began, all employees over 65 were told to stay home with pay. Anyone younger who had compromised immune systems (as my brother does) were given the option of working or staying home with pay. My brother knew his job was important, so he has continued to work through the pandemic. Costco has been very accommodating about shifting his duties so he has minimal member contact. This means he goes to work at two in the morning. I think he's a hero in his own small way, but to you he and his colleagues are "red vests". /end rant

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #7901 on: September 09, 2020, 01:13:45 PM »
I think he's a hero in his own small way, but to you he and his colleagues are "red vests". /end rant

I consider the whole Costco team to be heroes, but certain functions can only be performed by the ones wearing a red vest. There is nothing dehumanizing about the use of metonymy in this case, because we are distinguishing between humans all being treated humanly (YAY COSTCO!) but with different functions, rather than using functions to dehumanize the individuals.

And yes, when I went today for both a return and to report two items being double scanned, I was told "I can do the return, but you'll have to go over to the red vest for the refund of the other items."
« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 01:37:05 PM by ixtap »

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7902 on: September 09, 2020, 01:34:37 PM »
Costco also took the boneheaded decision to force their corporate workforce to report to the office for weeks, “in solidarity with employees in the stores”. They got a lot of deserved flak for that in the Seattle metro area.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7903 on: September 09, 2020, 01:39:06 PM »
Dicey, get over it. I know the names of half the employees at my Costco without looking at nametags and have been friendly/polite with most of them for years - not just during the pandemic.

"Red vest" is a reference to a specific job function, not devaluing them as people. It's a term routinely used by the front-line employees. Typically they don't need a specific person - anyone with a red vest has approval authority.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7904 on: September 09, 2020, 05:24:13 PM »
Dicey, get over it. I know the names of half the employees at my Costco without looking at nametags and have been friendly/polite with most of them for years - not just during the pandemic.

"Red vest" is a reference to a specific job function, not devaluing them as people. It's a term routinely used by the front-line employees. Typically they don't need a specific person - anyone with a red vest has approval authority.
I do a volunteer gig and I wear a vest. I am also a significant donor to the same program. It cracks me up that people look at the vest and not the face. When I greet them by name, because we actually know each other, it throws them every time.

Calling a human being a "red vest" as you did struck me as casually dehumanizing. I checked with my brother. He says they say "Ask for the person in a red vest." or "Look for someone in a red vest." Or, "Let me get someone who can help you" if they can't. People are not vests. Sounds like his Costco is a much nicer place to work than the one you have experience at.

Nothing to get over, IMO. Just a different point of view.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #7905 on: September 09, 2020, 05:52:49 PM »

I guess it’s probably a little like only black people being allowed to use the n word.  Does anyone object when 911 dispatch says they are going to send a black and white to your location?  Does anyone object to The “white coat investor” blog name?  Seriously asking... I always figured those Were in-joke references among colleagues.

sherr

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7906 on: September 09, 2020, 10:08:09 PM »

I guess it’s probably a little like only black people being allowed to use the n word.  Does anyone object when 911 dispatch says they are going to send a black and white to your location?  Does anyone object to The “white coat investor” blog name?  Seriously asking... I always figured those Were in-joke references among colleagues.

I disagree, and think it's much more practical. None of those are in-jokes, they're descriptors. Police cars are painted black and white. Doctors wear white lab coats.

They can't say "go talk to Stan or Charlie or Hank", because you don't know who Stan or Charlie or Hank are. So instead they do the obvious thing: point out the people that can help by the identifying marks they're wearing. And if you have to give the same instruction to people 50 different times a day, very quickly "Any of our wonderful human employees wearing a red vest can help you" becomes "Go talk to a red vest".

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #7907 on: September 10, 2020, 12:46:26 AM »

I disagree

Then I guess that just makes you another notch on my belt

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7908 on: September 10, 2020, 01:03:21 AM »
You know it's gone too far when they are called Red Shirts.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7909 on: September 10, 2020, 01:46:21 AM »
You know it's gone too far when they are called Red Shirts.
Touche!

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #7910 on: September 10, 2020, 07:38:46 AM »
A bestselling book I just saw featured in a list of library offerings is titled Fierce, Free and full of FIRE.

My MPP: Seeing the word FIRE in large print, all caps and automatically reading it as an acronym.

Me too!  I do get excited when I see it around.   Turns out, it is usually gym or workout related which is far less exciting....

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7911 on: September 10, 2020, 10:33:42 AM »
MPP - mega pet peeve:

I have been working 43-45 hours/week for the last 3 weeks. This has cut down into my exercise time.

Team lead is on vacation this week and responsibilities fall on me, so I'm on track to hit 48H for this week.

Told my director I don't like this, I will be cutting back my hours as I need to focus on my health and also on studying for new industry certifications, which employer wants me to get and will pay for.

Also told him I don' t like Friday afternoon technical meetings on the new short-term contract, and that I will not attend them after Sept 30. Mentioned that working with this developer is a royal PITA and I hope to not be on the contract when it renews on Oct 1.

I don't like working over 40 hours/week.

StashingAway

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7912 on: September 10, 2020, 02:30:08 PM »

Must be a slow news day if this is the peak of our concerns...

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7913 on: September 10, 2020, 06:34:23 PM »
Is this a MPP?

I have been getting 2 produce box deliveries (local CSA-type things), because, well, I can afford it, and I live in California.  It's delicious and fresh and the stuff lasts forever.  It costs a little bit more than the grocery store, but about the same as the farmer's market.  One of them originally delivered to our school and the school would get a cut.

Well, I think it might be COVID related, but the one farm/company has decided to expand their services because suddenly, a lot of people wanted produce delivery.  They also added groceries (rice, beans, etc). 

So...they moved my delivery day so that they could better group deliveries when they doubled their number of deliveries.  Fine.

But in the last few weeks, they have had a few weeks when the "add ons" were not available (because they moved me to later in the week, and ran out). Fine, but they forgot to refund me.  I have to actually check.

Last week, I only got half the items.  It took 3 emails to get a response, and they finally said they'd refund me.  Apparently, they gave me the essentials box, not the family box.

This week, I checked and they haven't refunded me.  They also haven't charged me for this week.  Well...they also didn't deliver my box (or the add ons).  Apparently this week they migrated to the new system?  I dunno because I can't get INTO the new system.  I think I'm just going to have to cancel.  It was nice while it lasted because otherwise, we run out of produce mid-week and it saves me a grocery trip.  It's nice to be able to afford to support a local farm, but it literally has eaten up hours of my time the last couple of weeks.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7914 on: September 13, 2020, 05:00:32 PM »
Okay, here's a facepunch worthy MPP. Last night, in the middle of the night, I got a "Thank You for Another Year!" from Rent the Runway. I've rented gowns for formal events from them a couple of times and been pleased with the results. Apparently I must not have unchecked a box somewhere in the last rental process, way back in 2018. So now I have a "renewal" for $32.42.

Fortunately, I don't keep my inbox too tidy. A quick search revealed a "Help! Your CC is expired", followed by a renewal notice a year ago (WTF?), followed by today's surprise. I distinctly remember calling them to cancel it last year when I got the CC expiry notice. Since I haven't received a single other email from them, I'm somewhat surprised. Normally, they're constantly sending shit about new arrivals, your "free" birthday "gift", etc. So I've wasted $64.84. Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but somehow I just know that cancelling this is going to be a giant PITA. I hope I'm wrong.

And should I have seen it on my CC bill? Sure, but DH pays all the bills. (Love that man!) As long as nothing's way cray-cray out of my normal range, he doesn't question anything I spend. Oops.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #7915 on: September 13, 2020, 06:17:59 PM »
Okay, here's a facepunch worthy MPP. Last night, in the middle of the night, I got a "Thank You for Another Year!" from Rent the Runway. I've rented gowns for formal events from them a couple of times and been pleased with the results. Apparently I must not have unchecked a box somewhere in the last rental process, way back in 2018. So now I have a "renewal" for $32.42.

Fortunately, I don't keep my inbox too tidy. A quick search revealed a "Help! Your CC is expired", followed by a renewal notice a year ago (WTF?), followed by today's surprise. I distinctly remember calling them to cancel it last year when I got the CC expiry notice. Since I haven't received a single other email from them, I'm somewhat surprised. Normally, they're constantly sending shit about new arrivals, your "free" birthday "gift", etc. So I've wasted $64.84. Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but somehow I just know that cancelling this is going to be a giant PITA. I hope I'm wrong.

And should I have seen it on my CC bill? Sure, but DH pays all the bills. (Love that man!) As long as nothing's way cray-cray out of my normal range, he doesn't question anything I spend. Oops.

Rent the runway?  I'll file that under travel

- Your husband probably

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7916 on: September 13, 2020, 08:53:10 PM »

Rent the runway?  I'll file that under travel

- Your husband probably...is a saint?
Why yes, yes he is indeed.

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7917 on: September 17, 2020, 04:23:19 AM »
In windows there are security settings that have to be set correctly to get the camera and microphone to work with zoom and other web apps.    You'll have to google it.

I worked as IT help desk support for a small biz for 18 years alongside many other job titles, so I don't really need the "google it" level of advice... but thanks anyway. I did try to set the settings correctly, but it didn't do what it was supposed to and I didn't have a lot of time to figure it out pre-meeting (and I haven't needed it since). I'll give it another shot at some point before actually spending money on something.

Knowing me, I probably unchecked the option to include a webcam when I ordered it to save $7... :-P  Who knew we'd all be spending our lives in video conferences in 2020.

Reminds me of all the DOD contractor laptops i've seen where they paid someone to take the camera out... I wonder if they had to pay someone to put some of them back in this year...

Not DOD, but within DHS.  Pre Covid, we had limited non blue line access with our laptops.  No video and only 10% of the work force could be use it at the same time.  Miraculously over the course of a weekend in March the system was upgrade so we could massively work from home and use video too.  Which mean the CIO’s office had the solution already and somebody kept saying we don’t need to do that.

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7918 on: September 17, 2020, 04:38:10 AM »

I disagree, and think it's much more practical. None of those are in-jokes, they're descriptors. Police cars are painted black and white. Doctors wear white lab coats.

They can't say "go talk to Stan or Charlie or Hank", because you don't know who Stan or Charlie or Hank are. So instead they do the obvious thing: point out the people that can help by the identifying marks they're wearing. And if you have to give the same instruction to people 50 different times a day, very quickly "Any of our wonderful human employees wearing a red vest can help you" becomes "Go talk to a red vest".

Um our cop cars are Blue (state and City) or White and gold/tan (county). I’ve never heard of a car being called a black and white.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7919 on: September 17, 2020, 05:54:49 AM »

Um our cop cars are Blue (state and City) or White and gold/tan (county). I’ve never heard of a car being called a black and white.

Ours are black and white but generally called police cars or cop cars. 

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7920 on: September 17, 2020, 06:36:36 AM »
The saying goes back quite a few decades, to a time when police cars were traditionally black and white--black on the front and rear thirds, and white for the passenger compartment.

hdatontodo

• Bristles
« Reply #7921 on: September 17, 2020, 09:18:40 AM »

Ever watch Adam 12 ?

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7923 on: September 17, 2020, 11:51:57 PM »
MPP: at some point this summer I finally found some of my preferred toilet paper in the local drugstore for a decent price - not the package I usually buy (double rolls) but the "mega" size rolls. Well, who cares, right? Except I just found out that the mega sized rolls don't fit on my toilet paper holder, properly or balanced atop it. And my tiny apartment bathroom doesn't really have anywhere to put it because every available surface is used for storage or is not a good place to put it (liable to be knocked over/get wet/etc.).

I refuse to buy a new toilet paper holder, obviously. And I can't possibly get rid of the toilet paper and buy something that works in my bathroom, because that would be wasteful. I'm thinking about using the plunger handle as a stand-up toilet roll holder.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7924 on: September 18, 2020, 12:58:54 AM »
@Dollar Slice would something like this work?  I wonder if it could be diy-ed with odds and ends? 

Or ye old bend a hanger and hook it onto a command hook?

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #7925 on: September 18, 2020, 01:57:30 AM »
MPP: at some point this summer I finally found some of my preferred toilet paper in the local drugstore for a decent price - not the package I usually buy (double rolls) but the "mega" size rolls. Well, who cares, right? Except I just found out that the mega sized rolls don't fit on my toilet paper holder, properly or balanced atop it. And my tiny apartment bathroom doesn't really have anywhere to put it because every available surface is used for storage or is not a good place to put it (liable to be knocked over/get wet/etc.).

I refuse to buy a new toilet paper holder, obviously. And I can't possibly get rid of the toilet paper and buy something that works in my bathroom, because that would be wasteful. I'm thinking about using the plunger handle as a stand-up toilet roll holder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLq6whfg2pA
« Last Edit: September 18, 2020, 02:00:02 AM by dragoncar »

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7926 on: September 18, 2020, 04:24:52 AM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_and_white_(police_vehicle)
Yeah, that one here
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_and_white_(police_vehicle)#/media/File:Transit_Police_New_Livery.JPG
is what I had in mind when I heard the term. Or with a stripe in the middle length wise.

Probably from the Police Academy movies :D

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7927 on: September 18, 2020, 08:30:18 AM »
@Dollar Slice would something like this work?  I wonder if it could be diy-ed with odds and ends? 

Or ye old bend a hanger and hook it onto a command hook?

Yeah, something like that is what I need. There's also an oddly-placed towel ring about 16" above the toilet paper holder (that never gets used, because who on earth would put a towel on the TP?). I could probably attach something to that.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7928 on: September 18, 2020, 09:13:03 AM »
I just found out Charmin will send you a free extender. I requested one. Will update everyone when it arrives.

https://www.charmin.com/en-us/about-us/charmin-guarantees

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7929 on: September 18, 2020, 12:33:31 PM »
My MPP is probably my brother's problem.  He works for the credit union I use.  Any time I have a question, I text him first.  Since the new online portal came out, I'm probably driving him crazy.  Like today, I scheduled a transfer from my CU to my HYSA to happen next week.  I now have a weird pending transaction for $0.00 to the bank that holds my HYSA for tomorrow.  It's never done that before.  I'm guessing that most of his customers wouldn't notice and/or care, but I've already texted him and asked about it on the chat feature.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7930 on: September 18, 2020, 01:33:14 PM »
I just found out Charmin will send you a free extender. I requested one. Will update everyone when it arrives.

I i wish Costco did that!   Their Kirkland rolls are not only too fat for the holder in my apartment, they are too wide!

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7931 on: September 19, 2020, 09:59:39 AM »
MPP: My workplace is switching HSA vendors. During a webinar yesterday, we were told that our current investments would be liquidated sometime in February, and we'd be able to invest in the new options some time after that (a specific timeline wasn't given). I just feel like we're going to miss out on several days of gains during that time.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #7932 on: September 19, 2020, 10:09:23 AM »
MPP: My workplace is switching HSA vendors. During a webinar yesterday, we were told that our current investments would be liquidated sometime in February, and we'd be able to invest in the new options some time after that (a specific timeline wasn't given). I just feel like we're going to miss out on several days of gains during that time.

Or losses. Most of the time, a couple of days here or there isn't a big deal.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7933 on: September 19, 2020, 10:29:43 AM »

You're right. It'll probably be fine. But if I miss out on several big days because we changed HSA vendor, I'm not going to be happy.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #7934 on: September 19, 2020, 10:40:31 AM »

You're right. It'll probably be fine. But if I miss out on several big days because we changed HSA vendor, I'm not going to be happy.

You could look into transferring to Fidelity, so that you have more control over the timing, but you will still likely have to liquidate.

rantk81

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7935 on: September 19, 2020, 10:49:02 AM »
You could look into transferring to Fidelity, so that you have more control over the timing, but you will still likely have to liquidate.

+1000 to Transferring it to Fidelity. I recently switched jobs -- and I needed to move funds out of my "PayFlex" HSA...  PayFlex wasn't as "horrible" as some employer HSA plan can be... But it certainly wasn't great either.  It's great to now have my funds in a Fidelity HSA, where there are no fees to worry about, and I can invest however I choose.

Fidelity makes it easy to open a HSA account, and to fund it from assets at another HSA custodian.  I was able to transfer all of my assets by filling out a form on Fidelity's website, and uploading a PDF of my most recent HSA account statement.  No phone calls needed!  The Fidelity site did give me the option to transfer assets "in kind" -- but I liquidated mine first anyway.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #7936 on: September 19, 2020, 11:02:17 AM »

+1000 to Transferring it to Fidelity. I recently switched jobs -- and I needed to move funds out of my "PayFlex" HSA...  PayFlex wasn't as "horrible" as some employer HSA plan can be... But it certainly wasn't great either.  It's great to now have my funds in a Fidelity HSA, where there are no fees to worry about, and I can invest however I choose.

Fidelity makes it easy to open a HSA account, and to fund it from assets at another HSA custodian.  I was able to transfer all of my assets by filling out a form on Fidelity's website, and uploading a PDF of my most recent HSA account statement.  No phone calls needed!  The Fidelity site did give me the option to transfer assets "in kind" -- but I liquidated mine first anyway.
That is super super helpful information for me!  DH and I are looking at leaving our jobs in the near-ish future and we have most of our other investments already at Fidelity, so moving our HSA's to Fidelity would be ideal.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7937 on: September 20, 2020, 03:32:46 AM »

I've thought about that, but I also don't want another step to have to go through every month. Can I set things up so that my monthly $550 is automatically sent to Fidelity & invested there? Or am I going to have to do it manually? Then it's just another account that I have to keep track of as well.

We currently have Payflex, which has no fees under our current plan, and the investment options have been sufficient for me (I currently have VFIAX). The new vendor also won't have any fees and will also have Vanguard funds. One thing I do really like about state government is that they manage to negotiate low/no fees very well with our plans.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #7938 on: September 20, 2020, 07:47:23 AM »

I've thought about that, but I also don't want another step to have to go through every month. Can I set things up so that my monthly $550 is automatically sent to Fidelity & invested there? Or am I going to have to do it manually? Then it's just another account that I have to keep track of as well.

We currently have Payflex, which has no fees under our current plan, and the investment options have been sufficient for me (I currently have VFIAX). The new vendor also won't have any fees and will also have Vanguard funds. One thing I do really like about state government is that they manage to negotiate low/no fees very well with our plans.

You could transfer the existing funds to Fidelity, then set up.the. new account and leave it in place. Or, just ignore the market for a few days while the official transfer takes place (that is what we did when Megacorp transitioned).

rantk81

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7939 on: September 20, 2020, 07:57:14 AM »

If I were in your situation, I'd do the following:
1) Open a Fidelity HSA, and move the funds from PayFlex to Fidelity.
2) Make any "new" payroll contributions to the new HSA at the new custodian that your employer has chosen.
3) No need to make regular transfers form the "new HSA" account to your Fidelity HSA account. You can keep both open, no problem.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7940 on: September 20, 2020, 09:11:55 AM »

I i wish Costco did that!   Their Kirkland rolls are not only too fat for the holder in my apartment, they are too wide!
That's because over the last decade, TP manufacturers have sneakily narrowed the rolls to save money, thinking consumers wouldn't notice. Costco insisted they not do that to their members. It's not just the Kirkland TP, it's every brand they sell. That's why it cracks me up when people say they can get it cheaper elsewhere. Maybe so, but it's often not an apples-to-apples comparison.

I have a TP holder that is too narrow for Costco rolls. It's in a half bath that has no storage. Once in a while, I go around the house and switch out all the partially used rolls in the other bathrooms with the fat new rolls. I fill the holder with the partials, and problem solved.  It's a guest bathroom that doesn't get used much, so I only have to do it once in a while.

Slicey, I like your plunger idea. I would use something to protect the bottom roll from the plunger cup. Maybe thread a coffee filter over it, then load up the handle?

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7941 on: September 20, 2020, 10:25:31 AM »

That's because over the last decade, TP manufacturers have sneakily narrowed the rolls to save money, thinking consumers wouldn't notice. Costco insisted they not do that to their members. It's not just the Kirkland TP, it's every brand they sell. That's why it cracks me up when people say they can get it cheaper elsewhere. Maybe so, but it's often not an apples-to-apples comparison.

I have a TP holder that is too narrow for Costco rolls. It's in a half bath that has no storage. Once in a while, I go around the house and switch out all the partially used rolls in the other bathrooms with the fat new rolls. I fill the holder with the partials, and problem solved.  It's a guest bathroom that doesn't get used much, so I only have to do it once in a while.

Slicey, I like your plunger idea. I would use something to protect the bottom roll from the plunger cup. Maybe thread a coffee filter over it, then load up the handle?

It's not the fatness, it is the actual width.  My Costco also sells Cottonelle, which fits just fine.  Dollarama sells a nice TP holder with storage, but it seemed a bit much to get it when the dispenser is installed.

Sandi_k

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7942 on: September 20, 2020, 11:39:23 AM »
Just remember - the advantage of having the HSA auto-deducted from your paycheck means that you don't pay FICA taxes on that deduction.

If you move your HSA to Fidelity and do your own deposits, you will still pay FICA on those funds - so effectively an 8% loss.

Best of all worlds: auto-deduct from employer paycheck, and the transfer monthly to Fidelity HSA account...

If I were in your situation, I'd do the following:
1) Open a Fidelity HSA, and move the funds from PayFlex to Fidelity.
2) Make any "new" payroll contributions to the new HSA at the new custodian that your employer has chosen.
3) No need to make regular transfers form the "new HSA" account to your Fidelity HSA account. You can keep both open, no problem.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #7943 on: September 20, 2020, 06:10:56 PM »
That's why it cracks me up when people say they can get it cheaper elsewhere. Maybe so, but it's often not an apples-to-apples comparison.

Dollars per softness-pound or GTFO*

*I'll also accept dollars per sqft-ply

APowers

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7944 on: September 20, 2020, 07:17:43 PM »
That's why it cracks me up when people say they can get it cheaper elsewhere. Maybe so, but it's often not an apples-to-apples comparison.

Dollars per softness-pound or GTFO*

*I'll also accept dollars per sqft-ply

I don't use TP by the in², though. I use it by the square-- so the appropriate comparison measurement is $/square, unless the area per square is different enough to cause me to use one more/less square per wipe (or the thickness is great enough to cause me to use one more/ less square per wipe). Then again, I'm a folder instead of a buncher; I can see how any extra in² might make a difference in a different usage system.

Monerexia

• Bristles
« Reply #7945 on: September 20, 2020, 10:28:27 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLq6whfg2pA

My toilet paper roll holder broke sometime around 2010 and at that point I realized toilet paper roll holders are a complete and total scam--not a single one of them should have ever been sold. Since the break the toilet paper sits happily on the shelf next to the toilet and weird, the world hasn't ended.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #7946 on: September 21, 2020, 12:19:54 AM »

My toilet paper roll holder broke sometime around 2010 and at that point I realized toilet paper roll holders are a complete and total scam--not a single one of them should have ever been sold. Since the break the toilet paper sits happily on the shelf next to the toilet and weird, the world hasn't ended.

Only works if you've got two hands available.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7947 on: September 21, 2020, 03:42:26 AM »

Only works if you've got two hands available.
I also need two hands to get the paper off the roll. One for stopping to roll and one to get the paper.
I don't see the difference and since I moved I also don't use a holder anymore since I have a perfectly placed *lack of English word* besides the throne. If you have a bare wall there though it's better to have a holder, dragoncar. 

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7948 on: September 21, 2020, 07:52:38 AM »
For everyone trying to transfer money out of your HSA - be aware that the IRS limits the number of rollovers you can do per year to 1. And you might get charged for direct transfers. And that's assuming your employer allows it.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7949 on: September 21, 2020, 08:08:38 AM »
For everyone trying to transfer money out of your HSA - be aware that the IRS limits the number of rollovers you can do per year to 1. And you might get charged for direct transfers. And that's assuming your employer allows it.

This only applies to an HSA rollover, which is where you withdraw funds from one institution and then send it to another institution and act as a middleman.  An HSA transfer is where you don't act as a middleman, instead the money is sent directly from one institution to another institution, and you can make an unlimited number of HSA transfers.  I'm unclear on why anyone would ever do a rollover instead of just a transfer.

Also the money in an HSA is yours free and clear to do whatever you wish.  Your employer cannot stop you from transfering money out.  There are no rules like there are with 401ks to prevent you from just taking the money wherever you want.

They may however charge a transfer fee (or they might not, it depends on the company) to transfer money to another institution.  If this is the case you may want to limit the number of transfers to reduce the number of transfer fees.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 08:11:11 AM by frugalnacho »