Author Topic: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)  (Read 5086770 times)

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
  • Engineer, explorer, investor
    • Alternate Priorities
Re: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)
« Reply #7850 on: August 31, 2020, 03:52:03 PM »
In windows there are security settings that have to be set correctly to get the camera and microphone to work with zoom and other web apps.    You'll have to google it.

I worked as IT help desk support for a small biz for 18 years alongside many other job titles, so I don't really need the "google it" level of advice... but thanks anyway. I did try to set the settings correctly, but it didn't do what it was supposed to and I didn't have a lot of time to figure it out pre-meeting (and I haven't needed it since). I'll give it another shot at some point before actually spending money on something.

Knowing me, I probably unchecked the option to include a webcam when I ordered it to save $7... :-P  Who knew we'd all be spending our lives in video conferences in 2020.

Reminds me of all the DOD contractor laptops i've seen where they paid someone to take the camera out... I wonder if they had to pay someone to put some of them back in this year...

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7851 on: August 31, 2020, 07:48:00 PM »
In windows there are security settings that have to be set correctly to get the camera and microphone to work with zoom and other web apps.    You'll have to google it.

I worked as IT help desk support for a small biz for 18 years alongside many other job titles, so I don't really need the "google it" level of advice... but thanks anyway. I did try to set the settings correctly, but it didn't do what it was supposed to and I didn't have a lot of time to figure it out pre-meeting (and I haven't needed it since). I'll give it another shot at some point before actually spending money on something.

Knowing me, I probably unchecked the option to include a webcam when I ordered it to save $7... :-P  Who knew we'd all be spending our lives in video conferences in 2020.

Reminds me of all the DOD contractor laptops i've seen where they paid someone to take the camera out... I wonder if they had to pay someone to put some of them back in this year...

Nope. The commo team just gets a lot of grief for not having a stockpile of webcams on the shelf a week after Teams was authorized and half the building is ordered to telework.

Also, I'm trying to buy about $1 million worth of new laptops that have very specific traits. The product description states that there's no wireless three times in the same paragraph.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7852 on: August 31, 2020, 08:14:14 PM »

Nope. The commo team just gets a lot of grief for not having a stockpile of webcams on the shelf a week after Teams was authorized and half the building is ordered to telework.

Also, I'm trying to buy about $1 million worth of new laptops that have very specific traits. The product description states that there's no wireless three times in the same paragraph.
Interesting, since (depending on the model) it takes about 2 minutes to open up the laptop and pop out the wireless card.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7853 on: August 31, 2020, 08:19:55 PM »

As a former nuclear power contract worker, I can sympathize.   
I once had to _beg_ our cell phone provider to ensure that NO CAMERA was installed in my phone. 
At the time, nuclear power plants were pretty paranoid about any cameras (special tag on camera, high-level permission etc).   
Same with our laptops, which we though was great, since we had them in our hotel rooms also.  No one wants the possibility of seeing a nuke worker in less than underwear. 
Underwear is a common thing at some nuke plants, especially non-US countries. -- this gives me the idea for a thread "What is the weirdest thing that you had to do at work." 

Turned up to 11, when our IT guy had to physically remove the wifi radio from my laptop to go to a Department of Energy reactor.
Why?  In the second sub-basement where we were set up, there was a "computer room" that we _might_ have picked up some signals from a computer from the EBCDIC (60's) era (my supposition).
No one examined the laptop on entry....

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7854 on: August 31, 2020, 08:33:21 PM »

No, they won't do that.   No way.   Those computers, wherever they were and however they were being used, weren't supposed to have cameras and that wouldn't change.

Instead, they would buy new computers and place them someplace that didn't have to be as secured.

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #7855 on: September 01, 2020, 01:18:17 AM »

No, they won't do that.   No way.   Those computers, wherever they were and however they were being used, weren't supposed to have cameras and that wouldn't change.

Instead, they would buy new computers and place them someplace that didn't have to be as secured.

You’re probably right about just buying new ones. Sounds like that is what Travis is seeing too. I experienced a few blanket policies where since some computers couldn’t have cameras none were allowed to.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7856 on: September 01, 2020, 05:54:10 AM »

No, they would ask for bids on supplying X number of new computers.  Three to six months later, those computers will arrive.  In the meantime the employees will be expected to make do with what they've got.  For most, that's going to mean scrounging up a headphone/microphone combo and maybe an external camera.  If there's not any in the warehouse then the next course of action is to suck up to the IT department to see if anyone has any in their personal stash that they would be willing to give you.   

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7857 on: September 01, 2020, 07:36:44 AM »

No, they would ask for bids on supplying X number of new computers.  Three to six months later, those computers will arrive.  In the meantime the employees will be expected to make do with what they've got.  For most, that's going to mean scrounging up a headphone/microphone combo and maybe an external camera.  If there's not any in the warehouse then the next course of action is to suck up to the IT department to see if anyone has any in their personal stash that they would be willing to give you.

Just finished a command post exercise (think of a simulation war game, but nobody has to leave the building because it's all on computers). While everyone is doing their bit for the exercise, I'm cleaning the supply room and cracking open boxes that hadn't been touched in three years (these exercises usually means nobody is bothering me and I have time to kill).  Every other day somebody came to me looking for a headset, but alas I've been tapped out for weeks and they should have figured out what they needed a while ago.  My little cleanup exercise has me emptying file cabinets and desk drawers from vacant cubicles all over the building.  Under the rats nest of derelict cables in these people's offices what do I find? More headsets!

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #7858 on: September 01, 2020, 08:25:10 AM »
I forgot that the Food Bank doesn't count as an online purchase (probably because it is categorized as education). If I had known, I could have gotten an extra .25% back. Actually, if I had known, a different donation would have received this online bonus, so the losses, while not budget breaking, would have paid for our recent meal out.

Plina

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7859 on: September 01, 2020, 11:16:29 AM »

I once had to _beg_ our cell phone provider to ensure that NO CAMERA was installed in my phone. 
At the time, nuclear power plants were pretty paranoid about any cameras (special tag on camera, high-level permission etc).   
Same with our laptops, which we though was great, since we had them in our hotel rooms also.  No one wants the possibility of seeing a nuke worker in less than underwear. 
Underwear is a common thing at some nuke plants, especially non-US countries. -- this gives me the idea for a thread "What is the weirdest thing that you had to do at work." 

Turned up to 11, when our IT guy had to physically remove the wifi radio from my laptop to go to a Department of Energy reactor.
Why?  In the second sub-basement where we were set up, there was a "computer room" that we _might_ have picked up some signals from a computer from the EBCDIC (60's) era (my supposition).

We visited a nuclear power plant that has been taken out of action and is now thorn down. Because of the regulations, you were not allowed to have your cell phone on. We got the visit as a courtesy as part of our company did some work there. Believe it or not, but one of our colleagues just had to text with her kids during the two hour visit. It is pretty embarrassing to see a 40+ persons told to not use their phone while in a security zone.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7860 on: September 01, 2020, 11:28:40 AM »

We visited a nuclear power plant that has been taken out of action and is now thorn down. Because of the regulations, you were not allowed to have your cell phone on. We got the visit as a courtesy as part of our company did some work there. Believe it or not, but one of our colleagues just had to text with her kids during the two hour visit. It is pretty embarrassing to see a 40+ persons told to not use their phone while in a security zone.

Even if the plant is down, until the regulatory authorities officially de-licence the facility, all the safety systems needed for operation must be available. 
In operating plants, the cell phone non-use areas are often painted on the floor around scram (shutdown) sensitive equipment. And good luck getting a signal out of a rebar-concrete building.

Plina

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7861 on: September 01, 2020, 11:35:28 AM »

Even if the plant is down, until the regulatory authorities officially de-licence the facility, all the safety systems needed for operation must be available. 
In operating plants, the cell phone non-use areas are often painted on the floor around scram (shutdown) sensitive equipment. And good luck getting a signal out of a rebar-concrete building.

I know. It was clearly stated in several places that you were not allowed to use phones! I think she got a signal because I saw here using it.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #7862 on: September 01, 2020, 11:46:17 AM »

I know. It was clearly stated in several places that you were not allowed to use phones! I think she got a signal because I saw here using it.

I am picturing someone furiously texting the kids, cursing them out for not responding....

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7863 on: September 01, 2020, 11:59:34 AM »

I am picturing someone furiously texting the kids, cursing them out for not responding....
So am I.. :-)
Did I mention that nuke plants are in the middle of F...ing nowhere? Even in Europe.
I once was trying to make a plane reservation, no cell service inside the office building, outside landlines restricted use. 
So I went outside in 25°F (-4°C) breezy weather, got almost to the completion of the reservation, and lost signal.
Tried again, nearly same issue.  A coworker came out and said, "you're blue, get inside and warm up".  My hands were starting to lose coordination.
Meanwhile, another of my colleagues is out smoking in that weather in a t-shirt and was apparently totally comfortable.

Edit for last sentence clarity
« Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 05:31:20 PM by markbike528CBX »

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7864 on: September 01, 2020, 12:03:47 PM »

Just finished a command post exercise (think of a simulation war game, but nobody has to leave the building because it's all on computers). While everyone is doing their bit for the exercise, I'm cleaning the supply room and cracking open boxes that hadn't been touched in three years (these exercises usually means nobody is bothering me and I have time to kill).  Every other day somebody came to me looking for a headset, but alas I've been tapped out for weeks and they should have figured out what they needed a while ago.  My little cleanup exercise has me emptying file cabinets and desk drawers from vacant cubicles all over the building.  Under the rats nest of derelict cables in these people's offices what do I find? More headsets!

We found a whole stash of extra headphones too.  Except they had dual jacks (one for the headphone and one for the microphone).  Every machine we have since the last required upgrade has a single combo jack (where the headphone and microphone run through the same 3mm jack).  If there were ever a time when someone needed Radio Shack.  We ended up ordering enough adapters from somewhere to make these work.  I'm not sure it was any cheaper than just ordering new headphones, but at least we didn't just throw them all out.

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #7865 on: September 01, 2020, 12:48:45 PM »

Did I mention that nuke plants are in the middle of F...ing nowhere? Even in Europe.
I once was trying to make a plane reservation, no cell service inside the office building, outside landlines restricted use. 
So I went outside in 25°F (-4°C) breezy weather, got almost to the completion of the reservation, and lost signal.
Tried again, nearly same issue.  A coworker came out and said, "you're blue, get inside and warm up".  My hands were starting to lose coordination.
Meanwhile, once of my smoking colleagues is in a t-shirt and was apparently totally comfortable.

Ah the joys of trying to get signal in remote locations. :) Maybe if I climb that tree over there I'll have enough signal to book my flight.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7866 on: September 01, 2020, 10:51:56 PM »

We found a whole stash of extra headphones too.  Except they had dual jacks (one for the headphone and one for the microphone).  Every machine we have since the last required upgrade has a single combo jack (where the headphone and microphone run through the same 3mm jack).  If there were ever a time when someone needed Radio Shack.  We ended up ordering enough adapters from somewhere to make these work.  I'm not sure it was any cheaper than just ordering new headphones, but at least we didn't just throw them all out.

Same situation here, except no adapters in sight. It's USB or nothing now.

Plina

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7867 on: September 02, 2020, 10:45:48 AM »

Meanwhile, once of my smoking colleagues is in a t-shirt and was apparently totally comfortable.

Ah the joys of trying to get signal in remote locations. :) Maybe if I climb that tree over there I'll have enough signal to book my flight.

In the mountains maybe, but I would say it is rare at least in Sweden to be without cellphone signal. My parents live in a little village in the middle of nowhere and there are three operators there. Two from Sweden and at least one from the neighbouring country., They have taken away the landline. There are more and more locations were the landline is replaced with cellphone. My father was annoyingly picking  berries in the forest and talking in the phone. When I was out of sight he called me to ask me were I was.

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #7868 on: September 02, 2020, 12:31:46 PM »
My carriers claimed coverage in my state. They are a tad optimistic with their map... Other carriers are similar although there is one in particular with wider voice coverage but notably less data coverage. I don't mind the blank space though. No one is talking on the phone in my berry patch.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #7869 on: September 03, 2020, 05:10:32 PM »
I gave the guy behind the counter at Costco a pretty red, white and blue piece of paper and he handed me back a bunch of dull green papers. Does anyone remember what I can exchange dull green papers for?

The executive membership earned us a whopping  2 dollars and some odd cents above its premium over the past year. But hey, where else am I going to get 3% these days?

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7870 on: September 03, 2020, 05:23:14 PM »
I gave the guy behind the counter at Costco a pretty red, white and blue piece of paper and he handed me back a bunch of dull green papers. Does anyone remember what I can exchange dull green papers for?

You can put them in a machine at the bank and they'll give you some numbers on a screen.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7871 on: September 04, 2020, 07:41:30 AM »

The executive membership earned us a whopping  2 dollars and some odd cents above its premium over the past year. But hey, where else am I going to get 3% these days?
You just need to spend more at Costco, lol. I hope you straight-up cashed that rebate check. If you spend it on merch you don't get the rebate on the items you are buying. Cash the whole check, then follow Slicey's instructions..

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #7872 on: September 04, 2020, 07:53:51 AM »

You can put them in a machine at the bank and they'll give you some numbers on a screen.

Oh! Numbers on a screen are fun! They tend to change a lot!

You just need to spend more at Costco, lol. I hope you straight-up cashed that rebate check. If you spend it on merch you don't get the rebate on the items you are buying. Cash the whole check, then follow Slicey's instructions..

Our Costco won't let you pay for your merchandise with the red, white and blue paper. The cashiers give you a lecture about how you are missing out on all your rewards if you do that and send you to customer service. Rest assured, I use my BoA card which gives me 3.5% back at wholesale warehouses for the actual merchandise.

FiguringItOut

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7873 on: September 04, 2020, 08:13:57 AM »
Two MPP's today:

1)  Tax and employer-paid medical insurance dominate our expenses so much that everything else is crammed into less than half of Quicken's standard pie chart.

2)  Saw an article about "Super Savers" on CNBC.  Sent it to DW.  She said she we obviously don't qualify because save too much and that what they call "Super Savers" is what she always thought was "normal".  https://www.cnbc.com/2020/08/07/super-savers-make-these-sacrifices-to-help-them-reach-their-goals.html?&qsearchterm=super%20saver
I love how that article lists "no housecleaner" as a "sacrifice" --as if every normal household hires someone to clean their house for them.

I eye-rolled at every "sacrifice" they listed except for high stress work.  Ridiculousness article

ChickenStash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7874 on: September 04, 2020, 08:48:09 AM »
My MPP of the day... My employer went full time WFH so I no longer have commuting expenses. I figured I'd increase the direct deposit to my investment accounts by a similar amount - if I don't need to spend it, I might as well save it. Unfortunately, our payroll dept is more efficient than I thought and they wound up getting the change in for this pay period rather than the next so when the deposit hit I hadn't updated the auto-invest percentages yet and things got messed up. I'll have to keep an eye on the IRA to make sure I don't over-contribute. Oh, the huge manatee.

As a side note, I really don't like the way Vanguard handles direct deposits. It works but seems really kludgey.                                         

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7875 on: September 04, 2020, 11:15:36 AM »

Typically around here it's much faster to go through one of the checkout lines with a single, low-cost item - pay with the rebate check, get the rest back as change.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7876 on: September 04, 2020, 11:34:45 AM »

Typically around here it's much faster to go through one of the checkout lines with a single, low-cost item - pay with the rebate check, get the rest back as change.

How is that faster?  You can just cash the whole check at any costco check out line.  Pay your entire order with your card, then in a separate transaction cash the check and get the entire check amount as change. 

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #7877 on: September 04, 2020, 11:55:26 AM »

How is that faster?  You can just cash the whole check at any costco check out line.  Pay your entire order with your card, then in a separate transaction cash the check and get the entire check amount as change.

Not around here - you have to go to customer service unless you use it for a purchase (which they try to talk you out of, as noted above). When the cc rewards come, they even set up portable counters to take up the burden. You have to stand in one line to get your stuff and a separate line to get your cash. At least yesterday there wasn't a line at customer service.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7878 on: September 04, 2020, 11:59:07 AM »
Oh that's odd.  I've always been able to redeem it at the normal register in a separate transaction. 

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7879 on: September 04, 2020, 01:48:38 PM »
Oh that's odd.  I've always been able to redeem it at the normal register in a separate transaction.
It depends on how big your check is and how much cash they have in the drawer. Our Costco is a Top-10 busy store. They do all three options. Checkout, dedicated checkstand (typically the last one), and member service.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7880 on: September 05, 2020, 01:48:11 AM »
Germany is so boring! If we get money from Aunt Merkel it just lands in our bank accounts and that is it.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #7881 on: September 05, 2020, 02:25:51 AM »
My problem for the day is I’ve read this whole discussion about Costco and have absolutely no idea what y’all are talking about.  Never been to Costco and don’t know what a rebate check is.  I’m mildly wondering if I SHOULD know what these things are, or if I can/should keep drifting forward in life without that knowledge . . .

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #7882 on: September 05, 2020, 05:22:50 AM »
My problem for the day is I’ve read this whole discussion about Costco and have absolutely no idea what y’all are talking about.  Never been to Costco and don’t know what a rebate check is.  I’m mildly wondering if I SHOULD know what these things are, or if I can/should keep drifting forward in life without that knowledge . . .

Keep drifting

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #7883 on: September 05, 2020, 07:05:35 AM »

It depends on what you eat, how much you eat, and how close you are to a Costco. The membership costs money, the membership with rewards costs even more. So if it isn't going to save you money on a regular basis, keep drifting.

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #7884 on: September 05, 2020, 07:39:52 AM »
We are FIREd and don't have dental insurance anymore (haven't for over a year), though DH has kept the same dentist. 

DH wanted to see if his dental appointment was still on due to COVID and they hadn't called to confirm or tell him if there was a special song and dance to be seen. 

When he called the auto message had two option Insurance A or Insurance B and that was it.  He randomly picked one, but then couldn't get any further.  No way to get to a person. 

So it looks like he will be finding a new dentist.

Loren

maisymouser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7885 on: September 05, 2020, 08:20:40 AM »

It depends on what you eat, how much you eat, and how close you are to a Costco. The membership costs money, the membership with rewards costs even more. So if it isn't going to save you money on a regular basis, keep drifting.

I found absolutely nothing of worth to myself at Costco that I couldn't get at Aldi for cheaper or the same price (looking for groceries primarily). I think it's a bit of a racket, myself. But I also might not have the same shopping preferences as others who do find value in it. I also found that Aldi had similar prices per item/pound/etc while not requiring me to stock up on a years' worth of that item at a time, which saves me space in my refrigerator/pantry and reduces likelihood of spoilage.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #7886 on: September 05, 2020, 08:35:02 AM »

I found absolutely nothing of worth to myself at Costco that I couldn't get at Aldi for cheaper or the same price (looking for groceries primarily). I think it's a bit of a racket, myself. But I also might not have the same shopping preferences as others who do find value in it. I also found that Aldi had similar prices per item/pound/etc while not requiring me to stock up on a years' worth of that item at a time, which saves me space in my refrigerator/pantry and reduces likelihood of spoilage.

I did a four store price book when Aldi's and another discount store opened near us. It lead me to divide our shopping between Costco and a regular grocery store.

Of course, around here just the gas will save you more than the membership. There is one place on the other side of town that I can sometimes get it cheaper with the grocery points, but that only helps if I am going to that part of town. anyway. Even the military gas is sometimes more expensive, but folks choose it because they get to stick it to the man. Which seems an odd attitude for the military...

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7887 on: September 05, 2020, 10:55:49 AM »
Of course, around here just the gas will save you more than the membership. There is one place on the other side of town that I can sometimes get it cheaper with the grocery points, but that only helps if I am going to that part of town. anyway. Even the military gas is sometimes more expensive, but folks choose it because they get to stick it to the man. Which seems an odd attitude for the military...
You don't bite the hand that feeds you.

No one ever said anything about the second hand...

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7888 on: September 05, 2020, 11:15:52 AM »

I would sell a sibling or two to have an aldi here. Never heard back from corporate.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7889 on: September 05, 2020, 11:29:58 AM »

Yep, as noted - my local Costco does not like to cash out the check at the normal register. You have to go to a separate register (possibly waiting for a cashier) - then wait for a red vest to come validate the check.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #7890 on: September 05, 2020, 12:18:29 PM »

I did a four store price book when Aldi's and another discount store opened near us. It lead me to divide our shopping between Costco and a regular grocery store.

Interesting.  We did the same thing a few years ago -- four store price book -- that led us to divide between Aldi and Trader Joe's.   I'm overdue for updating the prices, so I may go over to Costco and see what's in there.   I suspect I'll end up like @maisymouser and decide to skip it (the idea of having to buy huge quantities isn't appealing) but I'll keep an open mind. 

BicycleB

• Walrus Stache
  • Older than the internet, but not wiser... yet
« Reply #7891 on: September 05, 2020, 02:29:45 PM »

I would sell a sibling or two to have an aldi here. Never heard back from corporate.

You need better siblings! That's your MPP, right?  ;)

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7892 on: September 05, 2020, 03:02:29 PM »

Interesting.  We did the same thing a few years ago -- four store price book -- that led us to divide between Aldi and Trader Joe's.   I'm overdue for updating the prices, so I may go over to Costco and see what's in there.   I suspect I'll end up like @maisymouser and decide to skip it (the idea of having to buy huge quantities isn't appealing) but I'll keep an open mind.

I went to our local Costco a couple of times with a friend, but when Trader Joe's opened in town I realized I could get comparably priced cheese and nuts (our two big-ticket items) for about the same price without having to buy vast quantities.

I would actually buy flour and beans in vast quantities if I could get what I want (organic black beans, white whole wheat flour, or at least ub white, and crushed canned tomatoes) but our Costco doesn't stock those items. Fortunately, I can pick them up at quite reasonable prices from stores that are closer.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #7893 on: September 05, 2020, 07:07:48 PM »

There's a quarterly price book available online.  Obviously, the prices aren't exactly the same in every warehouse, but it can give you a general idea:

https://practical-stewardship.com/food/costco-quarterly-natural-organic-price-list-update/

Plenty of stuff in there that is no deal at all.  Very little is what you would call overpriced, though, since Costco typically has a maximum markup of 15%.

I've been buying less and less at Costco since I discovered a restaurant supply store down the street from Costco and hit that first (although plenty of stuff at the supply store is legitimately overpriced and you have to know what not to buy).

Also alternate with Trader Joe's.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2020, 07:10:58 PM by dragoncar »

eyesonthehorizon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7894 on: September 05, 2020, 09:03:00 PM »
I would actually buy flour and beans in vast quantities if I could get what I want (organic black beans, white whole wheat flour, or at least ub white, and crushed canned tomatoes) but our Costco doesn't stock those items. Fortunately, I can pick them up at quite reasonable prices from stores that are closer.
I'm surprised your Costco doesn't stock these - they only have the unbleached white flour at mine but we get those three items routinely! I wouldn't have expected regional variation on DRY STAPLES.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #7895 on: September 06, 2020, 02:29:02 AM »
I'm surprised your Costco doesn't stock these - they only have the unbleached white flour at mine but we get those three items routinely! I wouldn't have expected regional variation on DRY STAPLES.

There's definitely a difference even between nearby cities.  One time I went to the one slightly farther out and was surprised to see a lawnmower and sliding glass door for sale.

My Costco doesn't usually carry dry beans, but flour and rice are mostly available.

crocheted_stache

• Stubble
« Reply #7896 on: September 08, 2020, 11:56:50 PM »
A bestselling book I just saw featured in a list of library offerings is titled Fierce, Free and full of FIRE.

My MPP: Seeing the word FIRE in large print, all caps and automatically reading it as an acronym.

My other MPP: Feeling let down upon realizing it's not.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7897 on: September 09, 2020, 05:45:19 AM »

Yep, as noted - my local Costco does not like to cash out the check at the normal register. You have to go to a separate register (possibly waiting for a cashier) - then wait for person in a red vest to come validate the check.
FTFY

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #7898 on: September 09, 2020, 08:23:27 AM »

Yep, as noted - my local Costco does not like to cash out the check at the normal register. You have to go to a separate register (possibly waiting for a cashier) - then wait for person in a red vest to come validate the check.
FTFY

Nothing wrong with metonymy.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7899 on: September 09, 2020, 09:20:55 AM »

FTFY

Nope. That's not the terminology used in my Costco, thus it is an incorrect "correction".