Author Topic: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)  (Read 5086859 times)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
Re: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)
« Reply #7350 on: March 26, 2020, 11:03:20 AM »
DW and I were supposed to be on a beach sipping something fruity in a tropical climate this week but that trip obviously got cancelled with the current travel restrictions.  We got a full refund for the trip (yay!) as a credit to our credit card.  The average consumer would be happy to have the credit applied to the balance they are carrying every month.  My MPP is that our credit cards are paid off in full every month and this is a card we use only for travel expenses to get the travel points.  So now I have a couple thousand dollar credit on a card that I have no use for!  DW called the mortgage company to see if we could pay with a card but they said no.  The good news is that our fridge door is suddenly falling off as the hinge broke in two places.  I've repaired this fridge several times but we can't get parts for it anymore so looks like we have a use for some of that credit...
My CC company issues cheques for the balance, on request. It may be worth asking...

V

I had a $50 credit on one card and was just too lazy to call.  After a few months I guess they just got fed up and sent me a check anyway.

I knew I would eventually spend $50 so I didn’t want to bring paper into the equation

BicycleB

• Walrus Stache
  • Older than the internet, but not wiser... yet
« Reply #7351 on: March 26, 2020, 11:12:13 AM »

I've been working from home for several years now. Suddenly it's trendy. As a Mustachian it makes me a little uncomfortable to be doing the same thing as everyone else...

LOL

DeniseNJ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7352 on: March 26, 2020, 01:05:14 PM »
MPP:  I went to aldi and they only let me buy two loves of bread, and that included burger buns. So I could buy sliced bread or buns or a combo but totalling only two.  I buy two of each every week so I had to put half my bread back.

Also, DH asked how much we would get from gov't.  Ha.  I laughed.  We make way too much money to get anything--which I prefer, but it was funny bc I am so frugal that I guess he thinks we're broke!  Meanwhile we fully fund all available reitirement accts.

enFuego

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Somewhere between On Fire and FIRE...
« Reply #7353 on: March 26, 2020, 01:23:34 PM »
DW and I were supposed to be on a beach sipping something fruity in a tropical climate this week but that trip obviously got cancelled with the current travel restrictions.  We got a full refund for the trip (yay!) as a credit to our credit card.  The average consumer would be happy to have the credit applied to the balance they are carrying every month.  My MPP is that our credit cards are paid off in full every month and this is a card we use only for travel expenses to get the travel points.  So now I have a couple thousand dollar credit on a card that I have no use for!  DW called the mortgage company to see if we could pay with a card but they said no.  The good news is that our fridge door is suddenly falling off as the hinge broke in two places.  I've repaired this fridge several times but we can't get parts for it anymore so looks like we have a use for some of that credit...
My CC company issues cheques for the balance, on request. It may be worth asking...

V

Thanks... We thought about calling for that but we'll just use the card for groceries and such... it'll get spent soon enough.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #7354 on: March 26, 2020, 01:36:00 PM »

I knew I would eventually spend $50 so I didn’t want to bring paper into the equation

Is this a Mitch Hedberg reference?!  LOL!  I miss him.

I bought a doughnut and they gave me a receipt... for the doughnut... I don't need a receipt for the doughnut. I give you money and you give me the doughnut, end of transaction. We don't need to bring ink and paper into this.

I can't imagine a scenario that I would have to prove that I bought a doughnut. To some skeptical friend, 'Don't even act like I didn't get that doughnut, I've got the documentation right here... Wait, it's in my file at home. ...Under "D"...for Doughnut.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #7355 on: March 26, 2020, 08:09:37 PM »

I bought a doughnut and they gave me a receipt... for the doughnut... I don't need a receipt for the doughnut. I give you money and you give me the doughnut, end of transaction. We don't need to bring ink and paper into this.

I can't imagine a scenario that I would have to prove that I bought a doughnut. To some skeptical friend, 'Don't even act like I didn't get that doughnut, I've got the documentation right here... Wait, it's in my file at home. ...Under "D"...for Doughnut.

Lol I was gonna say pen and paper but I doubt they actually sign their checks

They have no problem debiting my bank accounts so not sure why they can’t also credit it

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7356 on: March 27, 2020, 05:26:18 AM »

Taxes. Here in Germany we have a new law that everything has to be receipt-ed. Bakers ware NOT amused. Practically nobody was, except the companies selling thermo-paper.

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7357 on: March 27, 2020, 12:11:23 PM »
My MPP: haven't filed my 2019 taxes because I don't know how to report an investment loss based off turbo tax. Then the economic stimulus stuff started coming out and I'm concerned about filing for 2019 because I don't know if it will make me ineligible. I want my $3k return, but I don't want to mess up anything by filing until the rules are finalized.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7358 on: March 27, 2020, 01:35:29 PM »
My MPP: haven't filed my 2019 taxes because I don't know how to report an investment loss based off turbo tax. Then the economic stimulus stuff started coming out and I'm concerned about filing for 2019 because I don't know if it will make me ineligible. I want my $3k return, but I don't want to mess up anything by filing until the rules are finalized.

If you're required to file, then you're required to file. The IRS doesn't care if it messes up your eligibility for the economic stimulus. Now, given the extension of time, you've got extra time to actually file without penalty.

Alfred J Quack

• Bristles
« Reply #7359 on: March 27, 2020, 01:51:01 PM »
Our library is Corona closed and I found out that I had read most of the books on my Kindle, without buying new ones regularly, as I have been using the library instead.

But since last night I bought a couple of new Kindle books. Circumstances demand it. Another problem is that the dollar has bevome really expensive for me. Good for my international stocks, but bad for buying foreign items.

My libraries are closed too, and I don't have an e-reader so I can't take advantage of e-books.  Once I finish what I have out already, I'll probably go with a mix of re-reads from my bookshelf, things I haven't read from DH's bookshelf (usually not as interesting to me), and maybe buying one or two from amazon and having them shipped.  I'd been trying not to buy new books, but desperate times...

Generally you can read books on PC too. There is an kindle app for example. I would be surprised of libraries don't have something similar.

I know there are ways to make it work, but reading on a computer screen hurts my eyes - part of why I don't have a tablet already.  MPP!  I strongly prefer physical books.  Possibly I'll buy a book or two that I've had on my TBR list which neither of my local library systems have, otherwise there are plenty of books in the house already so I won't be bored.

Same here, though the visual problems started after an accident with TBI/concussion. Regular book or an e-paper display works fine though so I use some tools to manage the brightness for my display and have 2 13 inch e-ink computer displays for work.

But rather than lots of physical books I still have giftcards accrued for one of the largest e-book platforms (Rakuten Kobo). I can read books for months yet before I run out. I usually re-read a series later too, I just read the WHeel of Time series for the 2nd time (in full, the earlier versions have seen more use) :P

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #7360 on: March 28, 2020, 09:13:16 AM »
DISASTER is struck the Ver household!

Squirrel(s) have decided to eat my clothes lines.  They cut each of the lines down and then took each line and gnawed them as far up from the ground as they could reach while they dangled there.  Then today it looks like they have tried to pulled them through the fence.  They got caught on the clothes pins.   It has been raining here for days so I haven't been using them or mitigating the damage, just looking out each day to see what the damage has been. 

Seeing a bunching up of clothes pins about five feet up a fence was pretty amusing. 

With only necessary shopping going on, I don't see us replacing these any time soon.  *sad trombone*

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7361 on: March 28, 2020, 10:03:30 AM »

Squirrel(s) have decided to eat my clothes lines.  They cut each of the lines down and then took each line and gnawed them as far up from the ground as they could reach while they dangled there.  Then today it looks like they have tried to pulled them through the fence.  They got caught on the clothes pins.   It has been raining here for days so I haven't been using them or mitigating the damage, just looking out each day to see what the damage has been. 

Seeing a bunching up of clothes pins about five feet up a fence was pretty amusing. 

With only necessary shopping going on, I don't see us replacing these any time soon.  *sad trombone*

Add it to your list. Just because you have a list of "essentials" and an accompanying list of "needed/wanted but not essential" doesn't mean you can't use a shopping trip to knock things off both lists. And hope you got some pictures of that, it sounds hilarious.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7362 on: March 28, 2020, 10:04:50 AM »
Bastard squirrels! What do those buggers want with your clothes line?

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7363 on: March 28, 2020, 11:13:31 AM »

Squirrels are tasty.  Just saying :-)

PhilB

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7364 on: March 28, 2020, 11:38:47 AM »

Warning: May contain nuts.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7365 on: March 28, 2020, 12:33:59 PM »

Warning: May contain nuts.
Warning: Processed in a facility that also processes tree nuts.

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #7366 on: March 28, 2020, 12:44:23 PM »
I am pretty sure they are eating them.  The jerks.

You can see where they tried to drag them off. :(.

My poor helpless lines!

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7367 on: March 28, 2020, 02:21:09 PM »
That is tragic

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7368 on: March 28, 2020, 02:35:41 PM »
Here's my MPP:

For years I've been sharing info on personal finance and FIRE with, well, pretty much everyone.

A few have paid attention but most who actually could have easily worked towards a solid emergency fund or FI have not done so.

How does one say this without getting people to reach for their torches and pitchforks?

"If you had the ability to do this and had listened and taken action when you first learned about becoming FI, you wouldn't be in the financial mess you're in now.    But here's what you need to know once you get past this mess so you don't have this problem again."

Or is it just too soon?

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7369 on: March 28, 2020, 02:44:34 PM »
@SwordGuy any solution that starts off with "admit you are wrong and I am right" is not going to get much traction, so I'd keep it on the inside. You can think it but never say it.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7370 on: March 28, 2020, 02:54:13 PM »
Here's my MPP:

For years I've been sharing info on personal finance and FIRE with, well, pretty much everyone.

A few have paid attention but most who actually could have easily worked towards a solid emergency fund or FI have not done so.

How does one say this without getting people to reach for their torches and pitchforks?

"If you had the ability to do this and had listened and taken action when you first learned about becoming FI, you wouldn't be in the financial mess you're in now.    But here's what you need to know once you get past this mess so you don't have this problem again."

Or is it just too soon?

What's your goal here? To say "I told you so" or to help them change their habits for the future?

If the former, good luck. If the latter, you shouldn't say a single word about the past - or much about the present. Try: "I'm so sorry for the situation you've ended up in. It sounds really hard to deal with. But I believe in you - I'm sure you'll be able to pick yourself up again and get back on your feet. I've got some great resources that helped me get into a more stable financial situation - I'd love to share them with you, if you think they'd be helpful, and maybe even talk them over with you."

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7371 on: March 28, 2020, 03:38:04 PM »
Here's my MPP:

Or is it just too soon?

What's your goal here? To say "I told you so" or to help them change their habits for the future?

If the former, good luck. If the latter, you shouldn't say a single word about the past - or much about the present. Try: "I'm so sorry for the situation you've ended up in. It sounds really hard to deal with. But I believe in you - I'm sure you'll be able to pick yourself up again and get back on your feet. I've got some great resources that helped me get into a more stable financial situation - I'd love to share them with you, if you think they'd be helpful, and maybe even talk them over with you."

Motivate them, of course.    If I just wanted to say I told you so, I would do so with great sarcasm and aplomb.  :)

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7372 on: March 28, 2020, 03:39:51 PM »
@SwordGuy any solution that starts off with "admit you are wrong and I am right" is not going to get much traction, so I'd keep it on the inside. You can think it but never say it.

Agreed, that's why I'm not saying that!

It's still the clue they need to 'discover' for themselves, with a little help from a friend...

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7373 on: March 28, 2020, 04:10:25 PM »

Agreed, that's why I'm not saying that!

It's still the clue they need to 'discover' for themselves, with a little help from a friend...
Generally people like an idea that they come up with themselves rather than imposed from outside. So questioning prompts can be useful - "would an emergency fund help this situation? how do you think you could build one up?"
"that does sound tough, is there anything you could cut out to give you some extra cash?"

Lots of time people are just complaining and don't actually want you to solve their problem.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #7374 on: March 28, 2020, 06:16:10 PM »

Just quarantine your feelings

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7375 on: March 28, 2020, 08:37:14 PM »

Probably for the best! :)

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #7376 on: March 28, 2020, 11:26:15 PM »
DW and my MPP is listening to all the people complain about being bored, stuck at home and lonely.

DW and I are somewhat introverted so we're loving this. Time with the kids, time to do things around the house, time to watch TV or read a book, time to do hobbies. I mowed our big yard today and was all smiles.

I guess lots of people don't cultivate hobbies these days? Take a walk, ride a bike, sketch a picture, fix something...

Worried that politics/people will be in such a rush that they'll press us back to work and we'll risk getting sick unnecessarily and we'll (my family anyhow) will miss out on this beautiful spring weather.

Spring is one of my busy periods and work always seems to soak up too many nice afternoons and weekends if I let it.

Am amazed at how delicate our American flavor of capitalism is. Gotta work-work-work.

I think DW and I are safe salary wise for a couple of months and we have money put back to absorb any disruptions. Still I'd love to have enough money to just pay off our house right now and not worry about that expense. Aside from life's little expenses like groceries and utilities - our mortgage is our one debt and worry.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 11:46:13 PM by Just Joe »

PhilB

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7377 on: March 29, 2020, 02:06:32 AM »

Probably for the best! :)

If you don't, it will probably result in some social distancing.

erutio

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7378 on: March 29, 2020, 01:05:18 PM »

@markbike528CBX, so what's your preferred method to prepare squirrel?

Asking for a friend.

And, uh...because it seems topical in our current end of times.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7379 on: March 29, 2020, 01:21:14 PM »
My MPP are multiple as I review my March spending

1)  I spent a lot more on groceries to resupply my long-term pantry.
2)  I did not wait for the best price of the year to resupply.
3) I am going out to only 1 store / week now, and often buy things at full price to limit contact.  sometimes that store is the local one instead of the cheaper huge one, because of fewer people there.  AND I have to buy plastic bags now. (grr.)
4)  I am using far more household cleaner as I wipe down all the surfaces, and I started deep spring cleaning early.   I am also buying special products (anti microbial disposable wipes, house cleaner) when before I would have just used my one concentrated bulk item that is much cheaper.
5) I am using more handsoap, hand lotion.
6)  I am not riding my bike right now because it needs to go into the repair shop and the shop is closed. 
7)  Everyone else is getting to save money by staying home, not eating out, etc., but I don't have that savings because I already did not do those things (much).

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #7380 on: March 29, 2020, 02:50:34 PM »
My MPP are multiple as I review my March spending

1)  I spent a lot more on groceries to resupply my long-term pantry.
2)  I did not wait for the best price of the year to resupply.
3) I am going out to only 1 store / week now, and often buy things at full price to limit contact.  sometimes that store is the local one instead of the cheaper huge one, because of fewer people there.  AND I have to buy plastic bags now. (grr.)
4)  I am using far more household cleaner as I wipe down all the surfaces, and I started deep spring cleaning early.   I am also buying special products (anti microbial disposable wipes, house cleaner) when before I would have just used my one concentrated bulk item that is much cheaper.
5) I am using more handsoap, hand lotion.
6)  I am not riding my bike right now because it needs to go into the repair shop and the shop is closed. 
7)  Everyone else is getting to save money by staying home, not eating out, etc., but I don't have that savings because I already did not do those things (much).

That's too bad on #6.  Auto repair shops are still open where I am (I mean, maybe not all of them, but they were considered essential) and it seems like bike repair is essential work too!  I mean, unless they wanted to/had to close for other reasons, of course that's up to them, just hope they weren't forced.

#7 = same same.  Bummer.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #7381 on: March 29, 2020, 03:12:13 PM »
Out of curiosity, why do you need to use plastic bags? I've brought Strolla (my neon pink dog stroller) grocery shopping for the last few weeks since the volume has been beyond backpack-space, just loaded everything right in from the checkout and nobody seemed to care. This has been at a few different stores. Other times I've brought my backpack, and again, no issues.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7382 on: March 29, 2020, 05:40:45 PM »
Out of curiosity, why do you need to use plastic bags?

Here in NYC - we have a plastic bag ban, but they sort of officially-unofficially called it off during the pandemic, because people bringing potentially dirty bags from home and putting them where other people's food will be 2 minutes later, and expecting grocery store workers to handle them... I don't know if you could really transmit disease that way, but people don't like the possibility of cross-contamination. The grocery workers at my local store are working in face shields and gloves and I don't need to make them more uncomfortable by bringing cloth bags from home. I noticed that the last time I brought my own bag, the cashier immediately started using wipes to clean the entire area after I left. Plastic is bad, but I don't want to make these critical and underpaid employees feel any worse than they already do. Hopefully it won't last for that long.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #7383 on: March 29, 2020, 06:26:49 PM »

Here in NYC - we have a plastic bag ban, but they sort of officially-unofficially called it off during the pandemic, because people bringing potentially dirty bags from home and putting them where other people's food will be 2 minutes later, and expecting grocery store workers to handle them... I don't know if you could really transmit disease that way, but people don't like the possibility of cross-contamination. The grocery workers at my local store are working in face shields and gloves and I don't need to make them more uncomfortable by bringing cloth bags from home. I noticed that the last time I brought my own bag, the cashier immediately started using wipes to clean the entire area after I left. Plastic is bad, but I don't want to make these critical and underpaid employees feel any worse than they already do. Hopefully it won't last for that long.

I don’t think they’ll care as long as you leave them in the cart and bag yourself.  Don’t plop it on the belt

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #7384 on: March 29, 2020, 06:36:29 PM »

Wow, people actually bring their own bags and just hand them to the cashier rather than doing their own bagging? That seems... really rude, even outside of a pandemic. I very rarely use fabric bags myself, just load stuff straight into my stroller or backpack. I definitely don't want anyone else to handle either of those, that would just be weird.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7385 on: March 29, 2020, 06:41:24 PM »

Asking for a friend.

Not the OP, but squirrel is only edible in a stew with lots of potatoes to help soak up the grease. Greasy, nasty foul little beasts that are better than starvation.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7386 on: March 29, 2020, 06:59:00 PM »

Wow, people actually bring their own bags and just hand them to the cashier rather than doing their own bagging? That seems... really rude, even outside of a pandemic. I very rarely use fabric bags myself, just load stuff straight into my stroller or backpack. I definitely don't want anyone else to handle either of those, that would just be weird.
Sadly that's pretty much the norm at every grocery store in the US. It leaves you doing nothing for an awkward 30-60 seconds. I hate it. Not as much as I hate tipping culture, but a solid runner-up.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7387 on: March 29, 2020, 07:02:19 PM »

I read through my post several times and can't find where you guys think I said I handed it to the cashier to bag my stuff, or that I put it on the belt, or anything like that. I literally just said "I brought my own bag". You don't need to try so hard to jump on people, you know? It's a stressful time for a lot of us.

I'm not sure how you bag your groceries in a reusable bag without putting the bag on the counter in the bagging area to load stuff into it. Do you hold it in mid-air with one hand and haphazardly drop groceries into it with the other while trying not to let it brush against anything in the extremely narrow space between cashier stations in a tiny urban grocery store? I literally have to take my backpack off and turn half sideways to get through one of the cashier lanes in this store. It's that crowded. So I'd be holding my backpack, and holding the reusable bag, and trying to bag groceries at the same time, while not letting my bags touch anything, in an aisle I barely fit through. Sounds reasonable.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #7388 on: March 29, 2020, 07:23:54 PM »

I read through my post several times and can't find where you guys think I said I handed it to the cashier to bag my stuff, or that I put it on the belt, or anything like that. I literally just said "I brought my own bag". You don't need to try so hard to jump on people, you know? It's a stressful time for a lot of us.

I'm not sure how you bag your groceries in a reusable bag without putting the bag on the counter in the bagging area to load stuff into it. Do you hold it in mid-air with one hand and haphazardly drop groceries into it with the other while trying not to let it brush against anything in the extremely narrow space between cashier stations in a tiny urban grocery store? I literally have to take my backpack off and turn half sideways to get through one of the cashier lanes in this store. It's that crowded. So I'd be holding my backpack, and holding the reusable bag, and trying to bag groceries at the same time, while not letting my bags touch anything, in an aisle I barely fit through. Sounds reasonable.

Well, you saying "people bringing potentially dirty bags from home and putting them where other people's food will be 2 minutes later, and expecting grocery store workers to handle them..." definitely indicates the grocery worker is doing something with the reusable bag.

I don't personally have any difficulty getting groceries into my backpack or cart without touching anything.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7389 on: March 29, 2020, 08:20:40 PM »
Well, you saying "people bringing potentially dirty bags from home and putting them where other people's food will be 2 minutes later, and expecting grocery store workers to handle them..." definitely indicates the grocery worker is doing something with the reusable bag.

It turns out that "people" doing something is not the same as "me" doing something. But now I realize I misread your post, and you said "people" as well. I read it as accusatory because you were quoting me talking about my experience. Sorry about that. My bad.

A lot of stores here are designed for the cashier to scan the item and put it straight in the bag, because it saves both time and space. I always bag it myself when possible, but they don't always give you a chance. So yeah, often the cashier will end up handling your reusable bag. I guess that's what management tells them to do, I don't know. They've put up signs at my local store saying that the city is not enforcing the plastic bag ban until May - it's a pretty heavy hint that they would prefer you to use the plastic bags. I just don't have the heart to do anything to make their lives even less pleasant right now.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7390 on: March 29, 2020, 09:56:09 PM »
I will say that all our supermarkets are set up for the cashier to bag the groceries, hence being handed the bags. There is nowhere for them to place scanned groceries in order for us to pack them. So it would be ruder for us not to give them the bags if we want them to use them.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7391 on: March 29, 2020, 10:02:37 PM »

Asking for a friend.

Not the OP, but squirrel is only edible in a stew with lots of potatoes to help soak up the grease. Greasy, nasty foul little beasts that are better than starvation.
Prep: skinning,  gutting, then brining.
Your favorite turkey brining recipe would probably work. Chop to 1cm pieces.
We made a noodle dish from them. Think of it as dark meat chicken so crock pot the squirrel and spices first then add egg noodles late enough to cook them a little softer than al dente. YMMV

We had corn fed squirrels in central Pennsylvania , so not as bad as Rural implies. 

The local squirrels in E. WA at chez markbike528cbx are walnut fed from my tree.  We haven't had any yet, as gunfire in town is frowned upon, and my slingshot use is for entertainment purposes only.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7392 on: March 29, 2020, 10:14:40 PM »
Older Joy of Cooking have cleaning and cooking methods for squirrel, ground hog etc. Avoid glands is my big takeaway.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7393 on: March 30, 2020, 10:48:50 AM »

Asking for a friend.

I've had pan-fried squirrel and it was fabulous.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #7394 on: March 30, 2020, 10:54:36 AM »

Asking for a friend.

I've had pan-fried squirrel and it was fabulous.

Best on a stick

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7395 on: March 30, 2020, 11:01:47 AM »
I'm not sure if this is a MPP but our government has asked anyone who can afford to pay their taxes to please do that even though they've said that business owners are allowed to pay later. So I guess I'm still paying mine next week.

Also, my grocery spending is up because I try to buy at small businesses as much as possible now instead of chain stores.

Yeah, I may or may not have spent $100 on tacos and margaritas at the new place in town because it's the closest place that has reliable vegan offerings and I want to see them stay in business.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7396 on: March 30, 2020, 11:05:49 AM »
MPP:  I went to aldi and they only let me buy two loves of bread, and that included burger buns. So I could buy sliced bread or buns or a combo but totalling only two.  I buy two of each every week so I had to put half my bread back.

Also, DH asked how much we would get from gov't.  Ha.  I laughed.  We make way too much money to get anything--which I prefer, but it was funny bc I am so frugal that I guess he thinks we're broke!  Meanwhile we fully fund all available reitirement accts.

I'm pretty sure my MIL thinks the same thing.  She's all up in our shit trying to get us to sign up for a food giveaway at my kid's school.  I'm sure that it's supposed to be for the kids who get free/reduced lunch so....no.  But she just won't. let. it. go.  But this does explain some of the weird things that BIL has said to us in the past about how we should get on food stamps.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #7397 on: March 30, 2020, 12:13:43 PM »
She's all up in our shit trying to get us to sign up for a food giveaway at my kid's school.  I'm sure that it's supposed to be for the kids who get free/reduced lunch so....no.  But she just won't. let. it. go.  But this does explain some of the weird things that BIL has said to us in the past about how we should get on food stamps.

In this vein, I wonder sometimes what extended family and friends say about us... a while back my sweetie's nephew asked me, "How can you afford to fly so much?" The obvious answer would have been "because I earn more than your dad, but spend much less," but that would have been bitchy.

And to be honest, the main reason I posted to this thread was to give Sugaree this link to the Sonics singing "Sugaree":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mWwj6WH6Gk

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7398 on: March 30, 2020, 02:19:11 PM »
Out of curiosity, why do you need to use plastic bags? I've brought Strolla (my neon pink dog stroller) grocery shopping for the last few weeks since the volume has been beyond backpack-space, just loaded everything right in from the checkout and nobody seemed to care. This has been at a few different stores. Other times I've brought my backpack, and again, no issues.
Well two different reasons -- Superstore told me not to use/bring them, so I complied.. although I could put items directly into my cart and bag at the car (which is a challenge because I had a dog in the car so can't keep the door open, and a fair number of little things that would fall), and I was also buying eggs and milk for seniors that live close to me, and I wanted to handle their cartons as little as possible.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7399 on: March 30, 2020, 02:47:26 PM »
Older Joy of Cooking have cleaning and cooking methods for squirrel, ground hog etc. Avoid glands is my big takeaway.

I am disappointed that none of my cookbooks have squirrel in the index.