Author Topic: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)  (Read 5086798 times)

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
Re: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)
« Reply #7300 on: March 11, 2020, 05:00:28 AM »
Well color me annoyed!  DH's 401-K contribution was SUPPOSED to go in yesterday, it always goes in the Monday after he gets paid.  But it didn't.  Bah.

Similar problem here.  401k contribution on Tuesday just in time to buy 5% higher and tomorrow looks down again
Yep, just checked and it went in Tuesday instead of Monday like usual.  I have such a hard life...

fell-like-rain

• Stubble
« Reply #7301 on: March 11, 2020, 07:29:38 AM »
Similar problem here- I did some TLH exchanges Monday, but didn’t have time to get the orders in before 4.. So they execute yesterday at close (mutual funds) and now I have $500 less in losses than I expected, and I’ll have to exchange more shares to hit -$3000...

eyesonthehorizon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7302 on: March 11, 2020, 09:45:45 AM »
But I do like the fridge idea or a nice cozy bed croissant.  You could also put it in a box with an incandescent light bulb or something... cost would be like 10 cents and that would also go to heating your home
Leave them in the oven with the light on to proof, the light will add just enough heat for them to puff up nicely.
Duh... I was almost there wasn’t I?  But I just couldn’t make the final leap and ya boomed me
I hate replacing the oven bulb. So my solution when it's below about 72° above my fridge has been to preheat the oven to a low temp for a few minutes, kill it, wait a few minutes more (so the coils are no longer too warm), and then stash the proofing dough in there to rise in a nice, cozy 85° oven. Summer dough rise in midwinter. (Run the house fan for a minute to distribute that nice warm gust of oven air if you won't be in the kitchen afterward.)

My MPP of the day is that the temperature outside is unreasonably and unseasonably perfect, but I have indoor housework to get done and refuse let in that 80% humidity, lest I need the AC later.

SquashingDebt

• Bristles
« Reply #7303 on: March 12, 2020, 05:42:49 AM »
I had to cancel our big vacation for the year because of Coronavirus.  Most of the cost I'm getting back in credit towards another cruise, but I'm getting a decent amount back on the credit card I used.  My MPP is that I'm working on hitting a bonus spend for another credit card so I don't know which one to use right now - the one for the bonus spend or the one where the balance is -$1250!

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7304 on: March 12, 2020, 05:51:32 AM »
I had to cancel our big vacation for the year because of Coronavirus.  Most of the cost I'm getting back in credit towards another cruise, but I'm getting a decent amount back on the credit card I used.  My MPP is that I'm working on hitting a bonus spend for another credit card so I don't know which one to use right now - the one for the bonus spend or the one where the balance is -$1250!

Hopefully the refund doesn't result in a bonus on the other card being clawed back.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #7305 on: March 12, 2020, 11:53:34 AM »

If I were in your shoes, I'd use the one for the bonus until the bonus is satisfied.  You can always call the one with the negative balance and ask them to send you a credit balance refund check.  Usually takes about a week to get in the mail.

SquashingDebt

• Bristles
« Reply #7306 on: March 12, 2020, 04:42:30 PM »

Hopefully the refund doesn't result in a bonus on the other card being clawed back.

That's my Chase Sapphire Reserve, which I've had forever, so I might lose some points but no bonus.

If I were in your shoes, I'd use the one for the bonus until the bonus is satisfied.  You can always call the one with the negative balance and ask them to send you a credit balance refund check.  Usually takes about a week to get in the mail.

Good to know!  I wondered if that was an option but hadn't looked into it yet.

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #7307 on: March 13, 2020, 10:23:16 PM »
A family member had told me that was ridiculous, and said he gets new tires every 2-3 years!
Your family member is probably driving a non-Mustachian amount and replacing them based on tread depth instead of age.

Could also be cheap tires.  Decent tires can easily last 60k which is like 4 years at 15k per year

We replaced the tires on our van last year due to age, not wear.  They were 10 years old and still had lots of tread.

Our 20+ year old van only has 150K miles, our current average is under 3K a year.  Mileage might go up a little this year since we are building a bed frame so we can use it as a camper.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7308 on: March 18, 2020, 12:41:08 AM »
Our library is Corona closed and I found out that I had read most of the books on my Kindle, without buying new ones regularly, as I have been using the library instead.

But since last night I bought a couple of new Kindle books. Circumstances demand it. Another problem is that the dollar has bevome really expensive for me. Good for my international stocks, but bad for buying foreign items.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7309 on: March 18, 2020, 03:58:00 AM »
Does your library not offer Kindle books?

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7310 on: March 18, 2020, 05:19:03 AM »
Our library is Corona closed and I found out that I had read most of the books on my Kindle, without buying new ones regularly, as I have been using the library instead.

But since last night I bought a couple of new Kindle books. Circumstances demand it. Another problem is that the dollar has bevome really expensive for me. Good for my international stocks, but bad for buying foreign items.

My libraries are closed too, and I don't have an e-reader so I can't take advantage of e-books.  Once I finish what I have out already, I'll probably go with a mix of re-reads from my bookshelf, things I haven't read from DH's bookshelf (usually not as interesting to me), and maybe buying one or two from amazon and having them shipped.  I'd been trying not to buy new books, but desperate times...

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7311 on: March 18, 2020, 06:21:13 AM »

My libraries are closed too, and I don't have an e-reader so I can't take advantage of e-books.  Once I finish what I have out already, I'll probably go with a mix of re-reads from my bookshelf, things I haven't read from DH's bookshelf (usually not as interesting to me), and maybe buying one or two from amazon and having them shipped.  I'd been trying not to buy new books, but desperate times...

Generally you can read books on PC too. There is an kindle app for example. I would be surprised of libraries don't have something similar.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7312 on: March 18, 2020, 06:59:24 AM »

Generally you can read books on PC too. There is an kindle app for example. I would be surprised of libraries don't have something similar.

I know there are ways to make it work, but reading on a computer screen hurts my eyes - part of why I don't have a tablet already.  MPP!  I strongly prefer physical books.  Possibly I'll buy a book or two that I've had on my TBR list which neither of my local library systems have, otherwise there are plenty of books in the house already so I won't be bored.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #7313 on: March 18, 2020, 08:01:35 AM »

Libraries definitely do have this. Some e-books can also be read in Adobe e-pub which I don't believe requires downloading anything, plus some can be read through apps like Overdrive.

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7314 on: March 18, 2020, 08:48:24 AM »
I prefer actual books rather than a computer screen too.   But I've found this site is good when I can't find what I want at the library.

https://openlibrary.org/

Easy to use, and I've found some books that have been impossible to find elsewhere.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #7315 on: March 18, 2020, 08:53:38 AM »
People hoarding toilet paper when they should have been hoarding books

Our library said keep the books no need to return and they did a way with all penalties a while back too.  Should loaded up the bus

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7316 on: March 18, 2020, 09:12:46 AM »
I prefer actual books rather than a computer screen too.   But I've found this site is good when I can't find what I want at the library.

https://openlibrary.org/

Easy to use, and I've found some books that have been impossible to find elsewhere.

Thanks, that's a great resource I hadn't heard of.  Sadly they don't have an e-book of the one I was looking for, and the nearest physical copy is nearly 100 miles away.  I'm sure I'll use it in the future, though!

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7317 on: March 18, 2020, 09:26:34 AM »

Our library said keep the books no need to return and they did a way with all penalties a while back too.  Should loaded up the bus

Somewhere I think I saw @La Bibliotecaria Feroz  mention that her libraries shelves were very empty leading up to their shut down. It gives me much joy to think of people curled up reading away.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7318 on: March 19, 2020, 06:06:23 AM »
My son's teacher staged a teleconference last night to read the kids a bedtime story.  It was a nice gesture. 

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7319 on: March 19, 2020, 07:18:28 AM »
My son's teacher staged a teleconference last night to read the kids a bedtime story.  It was a nice gesture.

Oh wow, that's so nice!

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #7320 on: March 19, 2020, 12:32:27 PM »

Oh wow, that's so nice!

They probably miss your kids

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #7321 on: March 19, 2020, 02:19:56 PM »

We have about 40 books checked out from the library.  We went last Saturday morning and picked up a few more books, "just in case".  That afternoon they announced that they were closing and extending all due dates until at least April 20.

I hate reading books on a tablet/laptop, I prefer paper.  But I have never tried a Kindle or other e-reader.  Are they that much different than my old iPad 2?

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7322 on: March 19, 2020, 02:51:02 PM »

My library uses Overdrive, I  have it on my tablet. There are free apps for Kindle and Kobo too.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7323 on: March 19, 2020, 02:54:48 PM »

We have about 40 books checked out from the library.  We went last Saturday morning and picked up a few more books, "just in case".  That afternoon they announced that they were closing and extending all due dates until at least April 20.

I hate reading books on a tablet/laptop, I prefer paper.  But I have never tried a Kindle or other e-reader.  Are they that much different than my old iPad 2?

Yes. If you're getting one that is actually an ereader, not a tablet that can function as one. Tablets have a shiny screen. ereaders are matte, not gloss. I don't like them much myself though I do have an older kindle. They definitely serve a purpose though.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7324 on: March 19, 2020, 04:26:07 PM »

A lot better than reading on a tablet. Lighter, less reflective, easy to read in sunlight. Not quite a book but a nice alternative especially for people with hand damage who can't hold some of the bigger, heavier books. Plus you can just download books from the library, which is nice.

Our library network just announced a lot of temporary closures and reduced hours for the ones staying open. 9-5.30 M-F no more weekend hours. I guess they figured this would support the parts of our community who really need them and the ability to get out of the house and interact with some other people - the elderly, unemployed, stay at home parents.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #7325 on: March 19, 2020, 04:31:05 PM »
An e-reader is very different from a tablet!  You can read it in bright sunlight just like a book, there's no glare or glow from the screen.  I actually prefer an e-reader for large books, the weight doesn't hurt my wrists like large books can, and I can also change the font size if my eyes are being unhappy for whatever reason.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7326 on: March 19, 2020, 05:43:29 PM »
Right now the best reason to use my tablet is that the library is physically closed but I can still get ebooks. It is also much better for travel.  I do love real books, and there are a lot of over-filled bookshelves here to demonstrate that.

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #7327 on: March 21, 2020, 01:27:18 PM »
Being FIREd I don't have any extra cash flow to put into the market :(.  The put extra money into the market itch is sooo strong, but that "extra money" is "live on money", not EXTRA money. 

On the flip side, I don't have to go into the office (my company considered my job essential) and all my coworkers are in their labs and cubes. 

I also know how to keep myself entertained while at home as being FIREd and having time at home was a major life goal. 

But that itch is sooo itchy!!

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #7328 on: March 21, 2020, 04:46:47 PM »
As a FIREd mustachian, I am not experiencing this "I have so much extra time" thing everyone else is while socially isolating.  In fact, I'm busier than ever as some of my volunteer gigs ramp up trying to figure out how to exist in the coronavirus world.  I'm on video conferences *constantly* competing for bandwidth with my husband who is now also, apparently, my coworker.

So I'm missing all these awesome free video concerts by YoYo Ma, performances by theater troupes, virtual tours of the world's top 12 museums, etc.  I just don't have a suddenly freed up schedule like others do.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7329 on: March 21, 2020, 07:26:21 PM »
I think we need to revolt against the establishment and insist that libraries re-open for lending / drop off purposes only (not to stay at the facility).   There must be some way they can wipe down book covers and manage the number of people coming in at one time.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #7330 on: March 21, 2020, 08:40:41 PM »
I think we need to revolt against the establishment and insist that libraries re-open for lending / drop off purposes only (not to stay at the facility).   There must be some way they can wipe down book covers and manage the number of people coming in at one time.

It isn't just covers. Pages would need to be thoroughly sanitized

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7331 on: March 21, 2020, 08:56:28 PM »
I’ll put in another plug for ereaders. They use e-ink technology which is completely different from a backlit display like you a tablet or phone. It doesn’t cause eye strain and doesn’t have the color problem that can mes your sleep cycle up. The font size change ability is also great for older eyes. They use very little battery because it doesn’t take energy to hold the words on the  page, only to refresh the page, which means the device is a lot lighter than a tablet of the same size.

I just bought myself a new Kobo for $100 and it arrived just as our shelter in place was starting. I’ve already checked out three library books on it using the Overdrive app and it rocks! For me also I can more easily get books in French to read as ebooks than in paper books, so it expands my reading selection.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7332 on: March 22, 2020, 06:26:28 AM »

The longest the virus can stay alive on surfaces is 48 hours. They could quarantine the books for 48 hours before reshelving.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7333 on: March 22, 2020, 08:31:05 AM »

The longest the virus can stay alive on surfaces is 48 hours. They could quarantine the books for 48 hours before reshelving.

Whatever we think that timeframe is, double it.  It's new.   It's mutating.   

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7334 on: March 22, 2020, 08:55:29 AM »

Nah, just leave them stacked for 3 days before putting them back in circulation. Like my Amazon packages. They get to sit for 3 days.

penguintroopers

• Bristles
« Reply #7335 on: March 22, 2020, 09:22:28 AM »

Nah, just leave them stacked for 3 days before putting them back in circulation. Like my Amazon packages. They get to sit for 3 days.

I’ve been already thinking about this too. Pick ups could be for only items requested by holds set on the online system. Pick up days determined by household last name (ex last names A-L could have Monday and Wednesday, M-Z Tuesday and Thursday. Save Friday for essential employees only who might have schedule constrictions from work or other duties preventing them from picking up on their designated day). Pick ups could be done via person arriving and calling library and giving their name and waiting in car, librarian can come out and deposit books at designated spot outside library (table/bench/whatever) and return inside. Patron can then retrieve books and drive away.

markus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7336 on: March 22, 2020, 10:56:14 AM »
Alright, I've got one:

I'm not usually one to kick a man when he's down, but I've got a colleague who was apparently too bummed out to make a conference call earlier this past week. He said that he was right on the verge of wrapping up the deal to buy his first house/condo, and the rapidly tanking economy means that now he can't buy it. I'm assuming he had his downpayment money all in his investments rather than in something far safer. I'll give him some time to get over it and then find a way to broach the subject of moving money into safer harbors if it's needed for something like a house downpayment and within a few years. Right now I doubt he wants to hear advice.

And I could be wrong in that perhaps there were other financial circumstances involved, except he did mention the falling markets specifically. So, yet another good lesson that I've learned from this and other financial forums. I have a steadily growing potential future house downpayment fund myself, thankfully all in a money market. At last glance that amount is right where I left it, and if things really get ugly then I'll consider it yet another layer of padding on top of my emergency fund.

An Unassuming Moose

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7337 on: March 25, 2020, 01:50:51 AM »
The federal and provincial governments are starting to implement corona relief measures, as are many private companies around my City. My job is stable, considered essential, and I can do it remotely, my paycheck is not threatened, I live in my own paid off house and have enough frozen food and basic supply reserves on a normal day to last me several weeks, no stock up required. I also live alone and have the option to drop my expenses to a level such that my cash cushion and LoCs could last me ten years even without a paycheck.

MPP: I won't qualify for any help/relief.

Not even that annoyed to be honest. It's a testament to the awesome power of Mustachianism.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7338 on: March 25, 2020, 04:59:31 AM »

Not even that annoyed to be honest. It's a testament to the awesome power of Mustachianism.

I am not annoyed at all that I don't qualify.

What I am annoyed about is the - predictable - "solution" the neolib party FDP leader has proposed. They only know one solution to everything: lower taxes (I am sure you know the song).

This time it was in the variant: Give people back their income tax!

Which, of course, means that rich people, who don't need any help, get a lot of money, while poor people (or relaxed mustachians in FIRE) don't get any meaningful amount.
(In my case, because of several month unemployment, moving costs, private pension savings (all lower tax), I would get about 200€. How many month worth of rent should that cover??)

As far as "solutions" (I cannot write that without the quotes) go, this is probably the most expensive while innefficient method you could think of besides just burning up the money.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7339 on: March 25, 2020, 05:19:33 AM »

What I am annoyed about is the - predictable - "solution" the neolib party FDP leader has proposed. They only know one solution to everything: lower taxes (I am sure you know the song).

Which, of course, means that rich people, who don't need any help, get a lot of money, while poor people (or relaxed mustachians in FIRE) don't get any meaningful amount.
(In my case, because of several month unemployment, moving costs, private pension savings (all lower tax), I would get about 200€. How many month worth of rent should that cover??)

As far as "solutions" (I cannot write that without the quotes) go, this is probably the most expensive while innefficient method you could think of besides just burning up the money.

Please save politics for the "Off Topic" section of the forum.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7340 on: March 25, 2020, 06:30:41 AM »

Poster tied this in to specific MPP issues, so it technically is on topic.

This thread is usually lighter-hearted, but these are dark times.

Anette

• Bristles
« Reply #7341 on: March 25, 2020, 09:01:52 AM »

So half this page is about e-readers versus tablets, opening times at libraries ... and you feel the need to tell someone off for being on topic but with a political background to the story?
Why the need to make this unpleasant?

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7342 on: March 25, 2020, 12:05:29 PM »
I'm not sure if this is a MPP but our government has asked anyone who can afford to pay their taxes to please do that even though they've said that business owners are allowed to pay later. So I guess I'm still paying mine next week.

Also, my grocery spending is up because I try to buy at small businesses as much as possible now instead of chain stores.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7343 on: March 25, 2020, 12:22:01 PM »
I'm not sure if this is a MPP but our government has asked anyone who can afford to pay their taxes to please do that even though they've said that business owners are allowed to pay later. So I guess I'm still paying mine next week.

Also, my grocery spending is up because I try to buy at small businesses as much as possible now instead of chain stores.

Good for you.   Well done.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #7344 on: March 25, 2020, 04:37:12 PM »

So half this page is about e-readers versus tablets, opening times at libraries ... and you feel the need to tell someone off for being on topic but with a political background to the story?
Why the need to make this unpleasant?

Frankly I’ve been super disappointed in what could have been a great novelty account

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7345 on: March 26, 2020, 06:13:17 AM »
I could say my MPP is that nobody understands that everything is politics - the cars that drive on the street (or instead bike lanes or like a certain Spanish town now barring cars from 60% of the city), library density and opening times (99% paid by taxes, and wtf not the last 1%?), the price of e-readers (all China made)...

Everything is the result of political decisions, and you have to either react to them, or thanks to your FU stash, can often either ignore or do something about them.

You could eben pay someone else hunting for toilet paper. That may be the only way to get some at the moment O.o

enFuego

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Somewhere between On Fire and FIRE...
« Reply #7346 on: March 26, 2020, 08:18:40 AM »
DW and I were supposed to be on a beach sipping something fruity in a tropical climate this week but that trip obviously got cancelled with the current travel restrictions.  We got a full refund for the trip (yay!) as a credit to our credit card.  The average consumer would be happy to have the credit applied to the balance they are carrying every month.  My MPP is that our credit cards are paid off in full every month and this is a card we use only for travel expenses to get the travel points.  So now I have a couple thousand dollar credit on a card that I have no use for!  DW called the mortgage company to see if we could pay with a card but they said no.  The good news is that our fridge door is suddenly falling off as the hinge broke in two places.  I've repaired this fridge several times but we can't get parts for it anymore so looks like we have a use for some of that credit...

vector

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Stubble
« Reply #7347 on: March 26, 2020, 09:06:22 AM »
DW and I were supposed to be on a beach sipping something fruity in a tropical climate this week but that trip obviously got cancelled with the current travel restrictions.  We got a full refund for the trip (yay!) as a credit to our credit card.  The average consumer would be happy to have the credit applied to the balance they are carrying every month.  My MPP is that our credit cards are paid off in full every month and this is a card we use only for travel expenses to get the travel points.  So now I have a couple thousand dollar credit on a card that I have no use for!  DW called the mortgage company to see if we could pay with a card but they said no.  The good news is that our fridge door is suddenly falling off as the hinge broke in two places.  I've repaired this fridge several times but we can't get parts for it anymore so looks like we have a use for some of that credit...
My CC company issues cheques for the balance, on request. It may be worth asking...

V

erutio

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7348 on: March 26, 2020, 09:49:03 AM »
My morning commute has gone down from about 28 mins to 24 mins. 
When the traffic and cars start picking back up again, that will be a great sign for humanity.

But my MPP:  I will miss basically riding straight through our dense urban streets (I know..I know).

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
  • Engineer, explorer, investor
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #7349 on: March 26, 2020, 10:50:58 AM »
We paid our taxes a little early this year because we could. Turns our I paid at least 4 months early...

I've been working from home for several years now. Suddenly it's trendy. As a Mustachian it makes me a little uncomfortable to be doing the same thing as everyone else... Mostly kidding!