Author Topic: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)  (Read 5086817 times)

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
Re: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)
« Reply #7050 on: December 21, 2019, 01:07:17 AM »
So we may end up buying our new home for cash.   Our $340,000 new home -- in cash -- that they don't think we make enough to pay a mortgage for.

Can you get a mortgage on one (or more) of your other houses and pay that off?
As often as I read here about people taking out a bigger mortgage on their house as they already have to make a holiday flight, that sounds like it would be possible.

If it is for only 50% of the worth, it should be a no brainer for every bank, since they cannot lose.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7051 on: December 21, 2019, 06:32:42 AM »
So we may end up buying our new home for cash.   Our $340,000 new home -- in cash -- that they don't think we make enough to pay a mortgage for.

As often as I read here about people taking out a bigger mortgage on their house as they already have to make a holiday flight, that sounds like it would be possible.

If it is for only 50% of the worth, it should be a no brainer for every bank, since they cannot lose.

Who knows.   They have all kinds of crazy rules.

Wrenchturner

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7052 on: December 21, 2019, 12:54:57 PM »

Who knows.   They have all kinds of crazy rules.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7053 on: December 21, 2019, 01:46:00 PM »
Today's MPP: we appear to have missed the "race from $100k to $250k" thread due to not paying attention. I thought we were close, but we're actually at 282k in cash and investments today.

DaMa

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7054 on: December 21, 2019, 03:07:03 PM »
I sold my house to a family member for 65k.  I had him write one check for <=50k and the balance on a 2nd check.  My bank has a 50k limit for phone app deposits.  It worked out fine, because he wrote one check from his checking account and the other from the HELOC he took on his rental property so he could buy my place (which he plans to pay off in 16 months).

Another one...I never look at one day gains on my IRAs, but I logged into Fidelity to make an HSA contribution.  I noticed that I made over $1600 in ONE day.  Wow!  Of course I reminded myself that I'd probably be down $3000 the next.  I logged in today to schedule my Roth conversion for the year, and I was up $2600 for yesterday. 

One thought came to mind...Mel Brooks: "It's good to be the king."

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7055 on: December 22, 2019, 01:19:59 AM »
5-year-old DD seems to be a budding Mustachian, and here is her most recent MPP...

DD received a Christmas gift from a family friend - an art kit with several pencil crayons, crayons, markers, glitter glue, stickers, and specialty papers. Her problem, in her words, is that “There are too many crayons!” She actually became quite upset with having 36 crayons because “I won’t be able to use them all up!”

She solved her own problem though. After I validated her concerns (“Yeah, that’s a lot of crayons, isn’t it?”), she suddenly exclaimed, “I know! I can give some to my friends!” So for the past couple days, she’s been happily coloring with only the 10 sparkle crayons and saving the rest so she can give them to her friends.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7056 on: December 22, 2019, 02:26:37 AM »
How cute!

My MPP is that yesterday I wanted to rebalance the amount I invest in the world regions. Specifically I wanted to up China a bit because I think it is underrepresented.
Problem: There is no ETF I can do with monthly rates at my bank that fits my criteria. So either I get one swap based instead of replicating or I have to remember buying it once or twice per year manually.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7057 on: December 22, 2019, 07:32:29 AM »
I forgot to put my bike away and it is raining outside. It is going to be wet when I go to ride it to yoga in a couple of hours

Uturn

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7058 on: December 23, 2019, 09:36:21 AM »
I replaced my car a couple of months ago for one that doesn't suck.  Yesterday I was doing my year end financials and NW calculations.  My NW grew almost six digits, which would be an awesome milestone.  However, I missed it by pretty much the exact amount that I paid for the car. 

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #7059 on: December 23, 2019, 02:51:51 PM »
Mostly gotten away from gift giving over the holidays, but DH and I still like to exchange something small.  I bought him sweaters since our cat ate most of his other ones.  Kohl's was offering 35% off to open a Kohl's credit card, and because I never shop and don't spend much in general, I forgot that I put a credit freeze on a while ago.  So I couldn't open a Kohl's credit card.

Luckily, they are nice and still gave me the discount and I just used my regular old card.  So my MPP actually turned into a win for me.  I saved more money (on top of the already-sale price!) and didn't even have to open another credit card!

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #7060 on: December 23, 2019, 04:03:14 PM »
We took advantage of a Merrill/ BoA offer to get cash back and Preferred Rewards level a couple of months ago. Every time I log in, there seems to be more cash sitting there. OK, I see that this one is the cash back reward and invest it. Log in a few days later and there is even more cash sitting around. Uh, yeah, that purchase went through, so where did this cash... Oh. How did I miss that their default is to cash out dividends and capital gains?! Probably because you can't make an election until after you have purchased the funds and I just logged in long enough to confirm the purchase had gone through. Well, we missed out on two days of gains, but I think I have resolved the problem now.

dollarchaser

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7061 on: December 23, 2019, 05:38:34 PM »

I suspect they don't think I have enough income. 

This despite the fact that we're paying our bills now, we're almost 2 payments ahead on our mortgage, we bought four houses in the last 2 years (for cash!) and with me going on social security in January, we're getting a $24,000 raise.   A $340,000 30 year fixed rate mortgage on this house, including taxes and insurance, will run $24,500 a year.    How could anyone not figure out this was a damn good risk!!?? ...

Any unblindered lender will know you are golden, but most of them are constrained by "policies."  I found occasional lenders who would take 3/4 of rental income as "real" income.  To persuade them I had to have the usual sheaf of tax forms/* and signed 1-year leases.  In one case my good friend signed a lease that I showed to the bank, and had a change of heart as soon as the loan was granted; he backed out and left the place for my real tenants.

___
/* This still makes me snort, as the average loan officer reminds me of Ben Rhodes's remark that they were able to hoodwink the press about the Iran deal because the average reporter was 27 years old, had no experience except hanging around a political campaign, and "literally knew nothing."  For the average loan officer, any tax form beyond the w-2 is a head scratcher, and things like K-1s could as well have been written in Sanskrit.

At one point I was chasing a home purchase that was great deal (even better when selling it 2 years later).  The bank expected a 1 year lease for the current home and we provided it. :)
The signature came from a passer by in Home Depot and the rent deposit money order was our cash. The credit union teller did not blink when I asked for someone else name in the comment line.
My home deals have mostly been unorthodox but have been a huge part of my nw and financial situation.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7062 on: December 24, 2019, 06:32:12 AM »
My wife got a raise and big bonus yesterday. Her boss wanted to give her a check for the full amount, without subtracting for taxes, etc.
Our decision last year was that all bonus income was to be done the right way, not skirting the IRS.
Due to my line of work, constant background checks and financial monitoring is the norm.
If my wife didn't pay ~$2200 in taxes on the bonus, and if I got marked for a deeper financial review, it could mean fines, penalties and loss of my job, and blacklisted from working for any Fed Govt agency, maybe state and local too.
The long-term implications of a short-term greed are scary. Not worth taking the risk.

The pleasures of being thrifty. Where doing the right thing brings peace of mind.
The bonus and raise doesn't change our habits. Now have to plan how to reduce taxable income further.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7063 on: December 24, 2019, 07:53:37 AM »
My wife got a raise and big bonus yesterday. Her boss wanted to give her a check for the full amount, without subtracting for taxes, etc.
Our decision last year was that all bonus income was to be done the right way, not skirting the IRS.
Due to my line of work, constant background checks and financial monitoring is the norm.
If my wife didn't pay ~$2200 in taxes on the bonus, and if I got marked for a deeper financial review, it could mean fines, penalties and loss of my job, and blacklisted from working for any Fed Govt agency, maybe state and local too.
The long-term implications of a short-term greed are scary. Not worth taking the risk.

The pleasures of being thrifty. Where doing the right thing brings peace of mind.
The bonus and raise doesn't change our habits. Now have to plan how to reduce taxable income further.

I like my financial affairs and my bowel movements to be regular.     You've done the right thing.   Bravo.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7064 on: December 24, 2019, 10:00:38 AM »

I like my financial affairs and my bowel movements to be regular.     You've done the right thing.   Bravo.

Et tu, @SwordGuy , et tu. Been reading your journal, epic find on la casa nueva. Enjoy the new adventure.

Many years ago, you posted "SwordGuy's Rules of <   >" on how to deal with management and problems. Sadly I can't find them when searching on these forums.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7065 on: December 24, 2019, 11:37:41 AM »
@jinga nation , was this what you are looking for?

Well done, I like the lessons about upskilling and hadn't thought of the falling forward idea.

Thanks!

When we were dirt poor I worked horrendous hours to claw our way out of poverty.

Once I got into a middle-class job, I didn't want to do that again!

So I made a promise to myself about my day job. 

That employee handbook was chock full of rules and conditions.  But one of them was that I worked 40 hours for pay.   After 40 hours it was my personal time, and how I spent my personal time was my choice. 

I would only work extra during my personal time if at least one of three conditions was met:

1) It was a true emergency at work.  (As opposed to a scheduled emergency due to management choices.)  It's important to be a team player.

2) I learned skills that would advance my career.

I saw no point in treading water to stay where I was, I wanted to get ahead.

3) I taught my colleagues skills that would advance their careers (and mine, because teaching is a useful skill).

I decided upon one other choice, that I would not do things the wrong way unless a manager sat there and made me do it that way.

The combination of those choices meant I spent fewer hours dealing with emergencies because I did things the right way.  (Not necessarily the perfect way, but definitely the right way.)

And I learned more new skills which let me do things the right way faster and faster.

Oh, that investment in my colleagues?   When they went to a new company, they were more likely to get promoted and be considered a star because they had learned more.   So I had people there who were more likely to be in a position to hire me or to be believed when they recommended me for hire.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7066 on: December 25, 2019, 11:21:02 AM »
I can't figure out where one of our unwanted Christmas presents came from so I can't exchange it for something we'd actually like. Oh well, that's another 50p Oxfam can make off an item that probably cost £5.

Tardis81

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7067 on: December 25, 2019, 01:49:40 PM »
I’m not fully mustachian yet, it is my first year and I’m still learning. But made me smile how compared to the last year where I paid for Christmas with credit cards this year I was feeling grumpy that “Christmas is too expensive, my December’s saving rate is only 30%!»

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
  • Engineer, explorer, investor
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #7068 on: December 25, 2019, 09:39:51 PM »
I’m not fully mustachian yet, it is my first year and I’m still learning. But made me smile how compared to the last year where I paid for Christmas with credit cards this year I was feeling grumpy that “Christmas is too expensive, my December’s saving rate is only 30%!»

Congratulations on the progress!

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7069 on: December 25, 2019, 09:48:15 PM »

That is one major life change!   Bravo!   Well done!

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7070 on: December 26, 2019, 05:36:07 PM »
I got all of my 4th quarter dividends, now I have to wait 3 more months to see if/by how much they go up.

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7071 on: December 27, 2019, 01:26:25 PM »
DD (11 y.o.) hates shopping. She has discovered that if she says she is going to save her birthday money, she doesn't have to go to a shop with her parents or grandparents to pick out gifts. Christmas has provided two MPPs:

1) Her savings account is getting quite healthy. The money she got when she was younger has been placed in a mutual fund, but she refuses to do that with her current savings. In her words, that would change them from savings to fundings, and that is not the same. I tried showing her the magic of compounding interests, but to no avail. So they will keep sitting there, "earning" 1.5 %...

2) Instead of money, her aunt gave her a gift sertificate for Christmas. She tried "forgetting" and "misplacing" it a couple of times, until I took pity on her and bought it from her (with a money transfer to her savings account). But now I have to remember using the card within the next 12 months. Hopefully, the local grocery store will accept it. 

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7072 on: December 28, 2019, 04:22:32 AM »
For Christmas, my family doesn’t really give gifts since we all have more than we need. So instead of giving things, I’ve been cooking and baking for them. Our MPP is that we are now all getting fat from the baked goods. Now off to make some waffles for breakfast!

boridi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7073 on: December 29, 2019, 09:13:48 AM »
Things didn't work out at job in first half of 2019 and started a lower paying job in the second half of 2019. Lower paying job plus a lot of pre-tax contributions at both jobs means taxable income is much lower, so I have $2500 worth of space for long-term capital gains at the 0% rate.

rantk81

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7074 on: December 29, 2019, 09:31:44 AM »
Things didn't work out at job in first half of 2019 and started a lower paying job in the second half of 2019. Lower paying job plus a lot of pre-tax contributions at both jobs means taxable income is much lower, so I have $2500 worth of space for long-term capital gains at the 0% rate.

Gains aren't subject to wash-sale rules, so take advantage of any unrealized gains you have!  Might consider selling and re-purchasing the same investments, to "step up" your basis, without paying tax on it!

trashtalk

• Stubble
Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)
« Reply #7075 on: December 29, 2019, 10:09:17 AM »
It was mildly cumbersome to put on boots and a jacket before I went outside to harvest one of our homegrown lemons for zesting.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 10:19:54 AM by trashtalk »

bluebelle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7076 on: December 29, 2019, 10:18:55 AM »
My MPP?   I want to rant about the amount of income tax I pay, but to do so would effectively tell people my salary, which IMHO is bragging.   So I'll come here and bitch.....I pay more in income tax that the median household income in Canada.....and I don't consider myself high salary (based on some of the salaries posted here).

SOOOOOOOOO looking forward to 2021, when I FIR - a little E, and the government can suck someone else dry.   

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7077 on: December 29, 2019, 12:49:32 PM »
My MPP?   I want to rant about the amount of income tax I pay, but to do so would effectively tell people my salary, which IMHO is bragging.   So I'll come here and bitch.....I pay more in income tax that the median household income in Canada.....and I don't consider myself high salary (based on some of the salaries posted here).

SOOOOOOOOO looking forward to 2021, when I FIR - a little E, and the government can suck someone else dry.

At least you get health care for your tax money.   Count your blessings.

boridi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7078 on: December 29, 2019, 12:50:16 PM »

Gains aren't subject to wash-sale rules, so take advantage of any unrealized gains you have!  Might consider selling and re-purchasing the same investments, to "step up" your basis, without paying tax on it!
The sell and repurchase is happening on Dec 30! More of a silver lining than a problem, I guess.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 01:54:00 PM by boridi »

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #7079 on: December 29, 2019, 04:49:17 PM »

State income tax may be owed on the "0% gain".  And any realized capital gain affects ACA premium tax credits and FAFSA EFC.

pdxmonkey

• Bristles
« Reply #7080 on: January 13, 2020, 05:19:07 PM »
I need an odd $9 part that isn't available locally. I don't have Amazon prime and u can't think of what else to get to total $25 or more to get free shipping. So it's been sitting in my cart for a week and will probably sure there a while longer until there is something else I need. This is silly because I have the money at this point.

I consider myself FI at this point. I'm getting close to being able to pull the trigger. Based on the 4% rule I can spend $400 more a month this year than last year. I'm not sure if I can find a way to spend that much more without being frivolous, but if I don't that's a very good thing as that could potentially be the amount needed for healthcare in RE.

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #7081 on: January 13, 2020, 05:58:58 PM »
I need an odd $9 part that isn't available locally. I don't have Amazon prime and u can't think of what else to get to total $25 or more to get free shipping. So it's been sitting in my cart for a week and will probably sure there a while longer until there is something else I need. This is silly because I have the money at this point.

I consider myself FI at this point. I'm getting close to being able to pull the trigger. Based on the 4% rule I can spend $400 more a month this year than last year. I'm not sure if I can find a way to spend that much more without being frivolous, but if I don't that's a very good thing as that could potentially be the amount needed for healthcare in RE.

So don't spend it.  Invest it.  There is no requirement that you spend 4%.  There are also some pretty good arguments that 4% is too high, especially if you are younger and are looking at time frames of more than 30 years. go.

rantk81

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7082 on: January 14, 2020, 07:51:51 AM »

I have Prime... but when I am in similar situations at other retailers (or where there is some kind of incentive to spend $xx more), I will search the site for any shelf-stable consumer-staple-type items that I know I use eventually "anyway", and stock up!  (As long as the prices for such items are in-line with what I'm accustomed to paying.)

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7083 on: January 14, 2020, 10:19:38 AM »
I ordered curtains for a bedroom. They came, and are not the color as advertised. Ok, it happens when you order online. Go to return them, and shit. Cash refund? Pay return shipping. Store credit refund? Free return shipping.

So now I have $38 in store credit at Joss and Main. I've looked. I don't like their stuff (I didn't pick out these curtains). Ugh.

If anyone would like to buy something there, let me know. I'm happy to work out an exchange of some sort.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #7084 on: January 14, 2020, 02:36:02 PM »
I ordered curtains for a bedroom. They came, and are not the color as advertised. Ok, it happens when you order online. Go to return them, and shit. Cash refund? Pay return shipping. Store credit refund? Free return shipping.

So now I have $38 in store credit at Joss and Main. I've looked. I don't like their stuff (I didn't pick out these curtains). Ugh.

If anyone would like to buy something there, let me know. I'm happy to work out an exchange of some sort.

Joss and main is part of a big parent company.. (way fair) take a look at their other stores maybe you can use it there

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7085 on: January 14, 2020, 07:20:48 PM »

In our experience, often the same item on eBay plus shipping comes out ahead of Amazon. Worth a look.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7086 on: January 15, 2020, 06:57:25 AM »
I take dates out in a 23 year old truck with 508,000 miles on it

508k miles!  That is fantastic.  What kind of truck?

That post is from five years ago and surfhb has deleted their account so unfortunately we may never know.

I did some forum searching just for you. It was a 1993 Toyota Pickup:
My 93 Toyota Pick Up could have been retired many times but I decided to fix the issue instead.....512,000 miles and still going.

Wow, at the rate I put miles on my 97 Toyota truck I'll be driving it in, 2067.
I'll be driving it a little slower though, I'll be 111 yrs old.
It's only got 110,000 miles on it now.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7087 on: January 15, 2020, 07:32:45 AM »
I take dates out in a 23 year old truck with 508,000 miles on it

508k miles!  That is fantastic.  What kind of truck?

That post is from five years ago and surfhb has deleted their account so unfortunately we may never know.

I did some forum searching just for you. It was a 1993 Toyota Pickup:
My 93 Toyota Pick Up could have been retired many times but I decided to fix the issue instead.....512,000 miles and still going.

Wow, at the rate I put miles on my 97 Toyota truck I'll be driving it in, 2067.
I'll be driving it a little slower though, I'll be 111 yrs old.
It's only got 110,000 miles on it now.
My MPP is that sometimes people who's stories you are enjoying just disappear. @surfhb is one, @serpentstooth is another. And man, I miss @sol, even though he warned us he was going.  Sometimes, people you're rooting for get themselves banned, like dagiffey01 or boarder42.

It's like I know I've forgotten something, but can't quite remember what. In my mind, they're all FIRE and living happily ever after, but the vague sense of loss is real.
MPP indeed.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #7088 on: January 15, 2020, 09:05:43 AM »

My MPP is that sometimes people who's stories you are enjoying just disappear. @surfhb is one, @serpentstooth is another. And man, I miss @sol, even though he warned us he was going.  Sometimes, people you're rooting for get themselves banned, like dagiffey01 or boarder42.

It's like I know I've forgotten something, but can't quite remember what. In my mind, they're all FIRE and living happily ever after, but the vague sense of loss is real.
MPP indeed.

Don’t worry, I heard they are all living upstate on a farm.  Lots of space to run around.  Living the FIRE life.  Boarder has a huge mortgage

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7089 on: January 16, 2020, 04:51:36 AM »

MPP indeed.

Don’t worry, I heard they are all living upstate on a farm.  Lots of space to run around.  Living the FIRE life.  Boarder has a huge mortgage
Lol, I know for a fact that B42 has re-fi'd at least once since being shown the door here.

Glad to hear everyone's doing fine ;-)

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7090 on: January 16, 2020, 06:17:00 AM »
Today is a lovely sunny day and I'm home all day. Perfect day for line drying.... But I don't have a full load of laundry :(

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #7091 on: January 16, 2020, 12:56:29 PM »
Last quarter I waited to pay myself from my business earnings until after I knew how to optimize the taxes. I saved myself a couple thousand dollars by doing so...

MMP: We're refinancing our house. The bank is concerned our checking account doesn't have enough money to close. We have plenty of cash, but it's in the wrong accounts and moving it triggers alarms which requires more research by them and delays things. The stupidest part is that I probably missed out on as much money in capital gains as I saved in taxes with the market run up since the beginning of Q4... On second thought The stupidest part is we have enough physical cash (bought stuff for family on CC and they gave me cash) to cover closing but depositing it would just raise another flag.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7092 on: January 16, 2020, 03:25:42 PM »
Don’t you love people / organizations that are so formula driven in the name of good decision making that they can’t make a good decision when it doesn’t fit their formula?

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #7093 on: January 16, 2020, 03:50:53 PM »
Don’t you love people / organizations that are so formula driven in the name of good decision making that they can’t make a good decision when it doesn’t fit their formula?

I wonder how many of us Mustachians have run into some version of this problem when buying a home... Of course it worked in my favor in 2011 when i bought a "vacation home" with my sister. Normal job with sufficient income? Check! Credit score? Check! 20% down? Check! Yes, Mr. Alternatepriorities it appears you check all the boxes you can buy a vacation home 3k  miles from your job and let your sister take care of it for you. You just need to visit your sister vacation home once a year...

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7094 on: January 16, 2020, 06:02:42 PM »

I wonder how many of us Mustachians have run into some version of this problem when buying a home... Of course it worked in my favor in 2011 when i bought a "vacation home" with my sister. Normal job with sufficient income? Check! Credit score? Check! 20% down? Check! Yes, Mr. Alternatepriorities it appears you check all the boxes you can buy a vacation home 3k  miles from your job and let your sister take care of it for you. You just need to visit your sister vacation home once a year...
Heh, we did the same thing when we last moved--our new "vacation" home (1,000 miles away), is three times the size of our old permanent home, but we were under the debt-to-income ratio, so we were ok!

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7095 on: January 16, 2020, 07:57:18 PM »

Joss and main is part of a big parent company.. (way fair) take a look at their other stores maybe you can use it there

In case anyone is curious - yes, the store credit is transferable to wayfair. Which is more to my liking anyway.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7096 on: January 16, 2020, 08:14:37 PM »

Heh, we did the same thing when we last moved--our new "vacation" home (1,000 miles away), is three times the size of our old permanent home, but we were under the debt-to-income ratio, so we were ok!

Just went thru my first mortgage post-FIRE.    It was awful.

On day one I told them I wasn't drawing on my stock and bond portfolio (other than RMDs) because we lived frugally.   So all they had to do was tell us how much income we needed and Voila!, it would be arranged for the next business day. 

The goobers diddled for 2 weeks and couldn't do it.   Niggled on depreciation on our rental properties.  (They were wrong!)   Niggled on other pointless crap.   

Finally, I started reading the online Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae guidelines for asset based loans and told them how much I was taking out and from where.   Then, suddenly, they discovered we had enough money.

This is despite the fact that we could pay cash for the property and another 3 1/2 just like it if we wanted to.

Lordy!   If it wasn't for having to pay taxes on taking out all that money during one year, I would have told them FU and paid cash.

So, I strongly advise reading those guidelines BEFORE starting to shop for a house if you're going to use an asset based loan.   Then, set your budget and set up your automatic withdrawal so that it shows up on two bank statements in a row.   Then look for the property.    Don't count on those goobers being able to figure it out for themselves.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7097 on: January 17, 2020, 12:45:02 AM »
A friend of mine is going through that bullshit now. Their new build is mostly self-funded and DIY with a tiny mortgage and the option of extending that a little bit. They need like 25k extra but because they've passed a certain time limit they can't extend that mortgage but need to apply for a new one. And they need to raise a new downpayment. Doesn't seem to matter they've paid cash for most of the build and that when finished, it will be worth 6 figures more than what they owe. Looks like saving up the money to complete will be quicker than getting a mortgage.

If they hadn't done this silly thing of building their own home at a low cost, they would quality for a mortgage on an existing home twice as high as the mortgage they are requesting now because that would fit in the neat categories that the bank uses.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7098 on: January 17, 2020, 12:32:43 PM »
My first MPP, This my first year of retirement.
 I paid in two quarterlies this year, I forgot the first one, paid some extra on the 2nd one, paid the 3rd one and skipped the 4th. Total about $6,900.
 Now, because almost all of my income is from LTCGs and my total income is under $103,150, I'll owe zero taxes, if I have it figured correct.
 I gave my money to the government for nothing.

simple money

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7099 on: January 19, 2020, 11:12:00 AM »
The bruises I got on my arms from fixing the washing machine myself.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!