Author Topic: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)  (Read 5086543 times)

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
Re: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)
« Reply #7000 on: December 09, 2019, 01:15:59 PM »
https://www.qcad.org/en/

https://librecad.org

I've used both with good results for various projects.

There are free 3D CAD software projects. FreeCAD3D is one I use. ONSHAPE CAD is another.
While both of those are excellent programs, they are quite technical to learn. If someone is just doing some room layout or basic home planning, something like SweetHome3D might be quicker to learn:

http://www.sweethome3d.com/

(also free/open source)

OH - I had forgotten about that one. Good catch. There is some amazing free and open-source software out there now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kik4iZp5mjE

MilesTeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7001 on: December 10, 2019, 12:30:18 PM »
When you realize that the daily volatility of your investments average as large or larger than your (2 week) paycheck.

If only that fluctuation was always UP!

Sadly, some times it makes it look like your paycheck just disappears into the ether.

anotherAlias

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7002 on: December 10, 2019, 01:20:08 PM »
My 401k provider is not updating in Personal Capital and about $5k in gains isn't being included in my net worth graph.  I know the money is still there but I wanna see it in the pretty graph *sigh*

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7003 on: December 10, 2019, 01:23:03 PM »
When you realize that the daily volatility of your investments average as large or larger than your (2 week) paycheck.

Sadly, some times it makes it look like your paycheck just disappears into the ether.
This always hits when you are trying to meet some arbitrary round number and it keeps Not Ticking Over

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #7004 on: December 10, 2019, 01:27:50 PM »

This always hits when you are trying to meet some arbitrary round number and it keeps Not Ticking Over

We only add it all up twice a year. This is the first time in quite a while that it has coincided with a market high, so we went shooting past that nice round number.

MilesTeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7005 on: December 10, 2019, 01:43:18 PM »

HA! Yep, that's exactly why I posted this.. looking for that elusive round number...

rantk81

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7006 on: December 10, 2019, 02:30:20 PM »

Just wait until you have a day where the value of your portfolio (or net worth) fluctuates (either up or down!) by an amount greater than what you spend in an entire average year!

zygote

• Bristles
« Reply #7007 on: December 11, 2019, 09:30:56 AM »
I keep getting spam calls wanting to talk to me about my student loan balance. (I never pick up, apparently spam calls leave messages now.)

Joke's on them - I never had any student loans!

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7008 on: December 11, 2019, 09:53:27 AM »
I keep getting spam calls wanting to talk to me about my student loan balance. (I never pick up, apparently spam calls leave messages now.)

I've been getting these too.  I told one girl that I didn't have any loans so now the messages want to talk about my credit card debt or refinancing my mortgage.  Don't have those either.

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7009 on: December 11, 2019, 10:14:23 AM »

I've been getting these too.  I told one girl that I didn't have any loans so now the messages want to talk about my credit card debt or refinancing my mortgage.  Don't have those either.

I watch a hour long investigative report on this a while ago. These large telemarketers have huge databases with the phone numbers and make profiles on all of us, which they sell/trade with each other.  Noticed how you gave information to them and how they adapted your profile to try to work the credit card and mortgage refinancing angle.  Best defence is to get on the do not call list and if any phone calls get through please ask to be removed from the phoning list and hang up.  It's sad how they prey on the people who really can't afford it.

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
  • Engineer, explorer, investor
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #7010 on: December 11, 2019, 10:33:38 AM »

I watch a hour long investigative report on this a while ago. These large telemarketers have huge databases with the phone numbers and make profiles on all of us, which they sell/trade with each other.  Noticed how you gave information to them and how they adapted your profile to try to work the credit card and mortgage refinancing angle.  Best defence is to get on the do not call list and if any phone calls get through please ask to be removed from the phoning list and hang up.  It's sad how they prey on the people who really can't afford it.

Alternatively if you also have the MMP of lots of free time you can absorb as much of their time as possible to prevent them from preying on others... Back when telemarketers were not supposed to call cell phones one called my friend to offer him a new credit card while he was on long road trip. He had an early unlimited phone plan and spent like an hour talking through all the cards features with them. They finally realized he wasn't really interested when he asked how well their card would work as an ice scraper... Ironically that must have been a feature he really wanted because now he has one of those fancy metal cards.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7011 on: December 11, 2019, 11:21:11 AM »

And bam you just let them know that a live person exists at the end of the phone number they dialed.  I'm already on the do not call list, so anyone calling me is likely not playing by the rules and me asking to be removed from their list just confirms I use my phone and will answer.  Likely to result in even more calls.  I say just ghost them and block the number.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7012 on: December 11, 2019, 01:24:32 PM »

Alternatively if you also have the MMP of lots of free time you can absorb as much of their time as possible to prevent them from preying on others... Back when telemarketers were not supposed to call cell phones one called my friend to offer him a new credit card while he was on long road trip. He had an early unlimited phone plan and spent like an hour talking through all the cards features with them. They finally realized he wasn't really interested when he asked how well their card would work as an ice scraper... Ironically that must have been a feature he really wanted because now he has one of those fancy metal cards.

My wife and I were traveling, forgot regular ice scrapers, and had to spend about 1/4 of the trip using credit/club cards as scrapers for the front windshield.  That was one long cold trip.  The defroster couldn't keep up with the freezing rain.  If we had gloves , the metal cards would have been nice :-)

bonesmtb2

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7013 on: December 11, 2019, 01:55:11 PM »
I take dates out in a 23 year old truck with 508,000 miles on it

508k miles!  That is fantastic.  What kind of truck?

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7014 on: December 11, 2019, 02:37:29 PM »

That post is from five years ago and surfhb has deleted their account so unfortunately we may never know.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7015 on: December 11, 2019, 02:45:19 PM »

That post is from five years ago and surfhb has deleted their account so unfortunately we may never know.

I did some forum searching just for you. It was a 1993 Toyota Pickup:
My 93 Toyota Pick Up could have been retired many times but I decided to fix the issue instead.....512,000 miles and still going.

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #7016 on: December 11, 2019, 03:37:14 PM »

My 93 Toyota Pick Up could have been retired many times but I decided to fix the issue instead.....512,000 miles and still going.

I didn't ask the question, but it really made me smile that you looked it up.  Haha.  Way to go!

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #7017 on: December 11, 2019, 04:57:10 PM »
All of these tax articles remind me that in a few months I have to remember how to do the mental gymnastics for ESPP, RSUs and HSA (because CA taxes the gains).

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7018 on: December 12, 2019, 12:34:36 PM »
I'm going to have to pay capital gains on my dividends for the first time in 4 years for 2020 because I'll be out of the 0% bracket.  :(

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7019 on: December 12, 2019, 12:37:31 PM »
I'm going to have to pay capital gains on my dividends for the first time in 4 years for 2020 because I'll be out of the 0% bracket.  :(

Woe and dismay!   You make sooooo much money not working for it that you've got to pay taxes on it!    Such a tough life! 

(Keep up the good work! :) )

bonesmtb2

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7020 on: December 12, 2019, 12:45:06 PM »

Awesome, thanks!  I figured it was a Toyota!

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #7021 on: December 13, 2019, 02:04:54 PM »
Our roommate has given one month's notice. Fine, we wrote the lease for an easy out, rather than making anyone miserable.

The problem is, our lease is up at the end of June and we don't know how early is appropriate to discuss signing another lease. That is, if we found a roommate today, we could only promise them six months of stability, which I assume will affect the price we can get.

I mean, it isn't like we have to have a roommate, but it also isn't like we have any use for the extra space, so we might as well.

jps

• Bristles
« Reply #7022 on: December 13, 2019, 04:37:34 PM »
Our roommate has given one month's notice. Fine, we wrote the lease for an easy out, rather than making anyone miserable.

The problem is, our lease is up at the end of June and we don't know how early is appropriate to discuss signing another lease. That is, if we found a roommate today, we could only promise them six months of stability, which I assume will affect the price we can get.

I mean, it isn't like we have to have a roommate, but it also isn't like we have any use for the extra space, so we might as well.

I feel like just anecdotally, I have heard of several people who have looked for a 6-month lease but haven't been able to find one. I always assumed they would command a premium, like month-to-month.

never give up

• Walrus Stache
  • Kindness is free to give and priceless to receive
« Reply #7023 on: December 14, 2019, 01:09:40 AM »
My loyalty discount from my biking website of choice has now been downgraded as I haven't spent enough in 2019. Yeah sorry, since finding MMM I no longer need to keep buying clothes, gadgets or worry about upgrading stuff.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #7024 on: December 15, 2019, 12:28:56 AM »
My loyalty discount from my biking website of choice has now been downgraded as I haven't spent enough in 2019. Yeah sorry, since finding MMM I no longer need to keep buying clothes, gadgets or worry about upgrading stuff.

Sounds extremely disloyal

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7025 on: December 15, 2019, 01:25:43 PM »

Sounds extremely disloyal

Leftist anti-capitalistic extrememist!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7026 on: December 18, 2019, 09:35:47 AM »
We (DH and I) are now FIREd and therefore we don't have a need to get out of bed at 6 or 6:30 am like we used to. But our bedroom is quite close to the street. This morning I woke up from the neighbor's tennants skraping the ice of their cars. And another neighbor letting his car run at the porch (dog fence) that he needs to open and close manually. Then it sounded like someone knocked on the front door. I didn't understand why, as we have a door bell, but I went to have a look never mind, in case there was a fire. There was no one at the door. The sounds came from outside. Probably a machine, picking into rock to break the rocks. In a pattern that sounds like knocking on a door.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7027 on: December 18, 2019, 09:45:13 AM »
We (DH and I) are now FIREd and therefore we don't have a need to get out of bed at 6 or 6:30 am like we used to. But our bedroom is quite close to the street. This morning I woke up from the neighbor's tennants skraping the ice of their cars. And another neighbor letting his car run at the porch (dog fence) that he needs to open and close manually. Then it sounded like someone knocked on the front door. I didn't understand why, as we have a door bell, but I went to have a look never mind, in case there was a fire. There was no one at the door. The sounds came from outside. Probably a machine, picking into rock to break the rocks. In a pattern that sounds like knocking on a door.

It's amazing what you can learn to sleep through.

SquashingDebt

• Bristles
« Reply #7028 on: December 19, 2019, 05:16:34 AM »
We can only change our % contribution to our 401k quarterly.  I ended up getting a $1k bonus this last quarter that threw my calculations off and so I missed out on $13 of company match money this last paycheck of the year.  (They don't true up.)

rantk81

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7029 on: December 19, 2019, 05:56:07 AM »
We can only change our % contribution to our 401k quarterly.  I ended up getting a $1k bonus this last quarter that threw my calculations off and so I missed out on $13 of company match money this last paycheck of the year.  (They don't true up.)

Wow, that's a brutally awful combination of restrictions... Only can change it once per qtr, and no true up!  I'd be on the phone with HR about it, pushing for them to fix it!

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7030 on: December 19, 2019, 10:33:05 AM »

Unfortunately you can't learn to sleep well under noise, even if it may appear so to you. That is one reason why poor people's children (who can only afford to live on the noisy roads in towns) are worse learners etc.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7031 on: December 19, 2019, 10:55:57 AM »
I got so much nearly free food today that we almost won't be able to finish it. Will freeze what's left over.

BicycleB

• Walrus Stache
  • Older than the internet, but not wiser... yet
« Reply #7032 on: December 19, 2019, 12:32:03 PM »

Unfortunately you can't learn to sleep well under noise, even if it may appear so to you. That is one reason why poor people's children (who can only afford to live on the noisy roads in towns) are worse learners etc.

Personal opinion here:
1) Some people can't learn to sleep under noise
2) Some people can learn to sleep under select routine noises very well
3) If you're part of group 2, it helps to know that it's possible

PS. Noise related MPP 1 - since I am home during most of my FIREd day, I hear lots of construction noises now because so many houses on my block are being rebuilt.

MPP 2 - so many houses on my block are being rebuilt, it's hard to find a neighbor to chat with about all the construction!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 12:38:42 PM by BicycleB »

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #7033 on: December 19, 2019, 01:51:01 PM »

Personal opinion here:

PS. Noise related MPP 1 - since I am home during most of my FIREd day, I hear lots of construction noises now because so many houses on my block are being rebuilt.

MPP 2 - so many houses on my block are being rebuilt, it's hard to find a neighbor to chat with about all the construction!

I don’t know if 2 is possible but I think by “well” we mean here without negative consequence.  There are studies that show even if you don’t wake up from noise, it causes physical stress like heart rate increase which is expected to be bad for you long term even if you slept through it (cortisol release, etc.)  it’s the irregular noise that’s the worst in this regard

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #7034 on: December 19, 2019, 03:30:12 PM »
I joined Amazon prime for a week because the $2 trial membership they offered is way cheaper than the shipping would have been on the funny socks I ordered for all my nieces and nephews. Now's my chance to catch up on all the TV shows and stuff everyone's always taking about! Unfortunately, I also have no time this week to watch because it is the holidays. Guess I'll continue missing out on tons of culturally relevant material.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7035 on: December 20, 2019, 02:09:27 AM »
That is a lot of noise you are hearing. Is your house properly insulated? Do you need a better front door?

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7036 on: December 20, 2019, 03:55:52 AM »
That is a lot of noise you are hearing. Is your house properly insulated? Do you need a better front door?

Yes, the house is modern. The front door is not locked properly, but that it far from my bedroom. What I hear is a car motor and car doors being smashed closed. We have normal 3 layer windows. The house is not badly sound insulated, but from the bedroom window, it is not many meters to these cars.
The rock picking is on the other side of the narrow valley and it sounds muffled, not very loud. But that just makes a lot of sounds and it is not weird that we here it.
DH knows all about sound insulation amd he hasn't complained about how the house is insulated.

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7037 on: December 20, 2019, 06:18:13 AM »
Yes, the house is modern. The front door is not locked properly, but that it far from my bedroom. What I hear is a car motor and car doors being smashed closed. We have normal 3 layer windows. The house is not badly sound insulated, but from the bedroom window, it is not many meters to these cars.
The rock picking is on the other side of the narrow valley and it sounds muffled, not very loud. But that just makes a lot of sounds and it is not weird that we here it.
DH knows all about sound insulation amd he hasn't complained about how the house is insulated.
Yeah, outdoor sounds from close neighbors can be hard to fully filter out. My previous house was very close to my neighbors; I couldn't hear a thing from them when they were indoors, and from my testing I couldn't hear my stereo outdoors, yet every car door and discussion from their driveway came through as if they were standing right on my doorstep.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 06:20:08 AM by dcheesi »

2sk22

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7038 on: December 20, 2019, 06:54:45 AM »
I just found that need to order a new set of checkbooks because I am running out of deposit slips :-)

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7039 on: December 20, 2019, 07:07:16 AM »
I just found that need to order a new set of checkbooks because I am running out of deposit slips :-)
Can't you order deposit slips only? I know my too-big-to-fail bank allows this.
Or if they have a location, go in and pick up a stack of slips?

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7040 on: December 20, 2019, 07:51:25 AM »

If you're depositing checks, you should be able to use your bank's phone app. I haven't deposited anything at the bank or ATM in years.

2sk22

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7041 on: December 20, 2019, 07:53:47 AM »

If you're depositing checks, you should be able to use your bank's phone app. I haven't deposited anything at the bank or ATM in years.

For smaller checks I always use the app, but this one is sufficiently large that I somehow prefer to hand it to a human teller. I know... :-)

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7042 on: December 20, 2019, 09:48:09 AM »
I used to have a $10k limit only depositing checks with my app so a couple of times I had to go to a physical location to deposit a check. Thankfully that nonsense is gone (and I don’t receive dead tree checks anymore). Online banking or bust!

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7043 on: December 20, 2019, 12:12:26 PM »
Okay... being mustachian I have managed to wrangle a year in which I am neither giving or receiving wrapped-up-stuff-type presents for Xmas. There's literally nothing under my tree. The problem? Um..... there's no pressies under my tree [sad face]

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #7044 on: December 20, 2019, 01:14:01 PM »

For smaller checks I always use the app, but this one is sufficiently large that I somehow prefer to hand it to a human teller. I know... :-)

I prefer to have my large checks deposited electronically so I still have the original in case there's a problem.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7045 on: December 20, 2019, 01:29:11 PM »

Personal opinion here:

I don’t know if 2 is possible but I think by “well” we mean here without negative consequence.  There are studies that show even if you don’t wake up from noise, it causes physical stress like heart rate increase which is expected to be bad for you long term even if you slept through it (cortisol release, etc.)  it’s the irregular noise that’s the worst in this regard

White noise is still noise. And no, you won't learn to sleep through everything. My neighbor running yard equipment at 7am wakes me up, even though she does it a lot. But I don't even register the freight trains anymore.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7046 on: December 20, 2019, 06:24:06 PM »
As of last night, we had a net worth of circa $2,730,000.

Mortgage balance of ~$145,000.
HELOC balance circa ~15,000.
No other debt.

Equity in current house ~100,000 to $150,000
7 other houses owned free and clear, 5 of which are providing income.  Total worth about $1,000,000.
~1,600,000 in stocks, bonds, and cash.

We just found our dream house.   Signed a contract on it.  Since rates are low it makes sense to get a mortgage.

At this point I'm not convinced I'm going to be able to get one.

I suspect they don't think I have enough income. 

This despite the fact that we're paying our bills now, we're almost 2 payments ahead on our mortgage, we bought four houses in the last 2 years (for cash!) and with me going on social security in January, we're getting a $24,000 raise.   A $340,000 30 year fixed rate mortgage on this house, including taxes and insurance, will run $24,500 a year.    How could anyone not figure out this was a damn good risk!!??

Of course I don't have income!    Wealthy people have assets that provide more wealth.   The last thing you want is income, they tax that sort of thing!

I had excess cash reserves to spend last year.  The last thing I would want is income!  I wanted proceeds that are expensed resulting in no income and more assets that produce more wealth.

I should know by Monday.   If the lender we're talking to balks as I suspect they will, I'll check with a local bank on Tuesday.  (I'm travelling until Monday evening.)   Maybe they can just make a common sense loan that they will service themselves instead of sticking to the collateralizable mortgage obligation rules.

So we may end up buying our new home for cash.   Our $340,000 new home -- in cash -- that they don't think we make enough to pay a mortgage for.

We'll be putting our old home on the market by mid-March, possibly earlier.  It should sell in 6-12 months depending on how aggressive with pricing we are.   That should bring in $100,000 to $150,000 from equity.   We'll be selling one house to our daughter's adoptive grandmother which will bring in over $60,000.  We'll put that money back into the stash.

Plus, of course, we'll have the mortgage expense from our current home off our back, which frees up $22,500.  So, sometime in    the next year we'll actually get to see that Social Security raise show up for consumption spending (or paying down the mortgage faster).

« Last Edit: December 21, 2019, 09:04:15 PM by SwordGuy »

fredbear

• Stubble
« Reply #7047 on: December 20, 2019, 06:53:42 PM »

I suspect they don't think I have enough income. 

This despite the fact that we're paying our bills now, we're almost 2 payments ahead on our mortgage, we bought four houses in the last 2 years (for cash!) and with me going on social security in January, we're getting a $24,000 raise.   A $340,000 30 year fixed rate mortgage on this house, including taxes and insurance, will run $24,500 a year.    How could anyone not figure out this was a damn good risk!!?? ...

Any unblindered lender will know you are golden, but most of them are constrained by "policies."  I found occasional lenders who would take 3/4 of rental income as "real" income.  To persuade them I had to have the usual sheaf of tax forms/* and signed 1-year leases.  In one case my good friend signed a lease that I showed to the bank, and had a change of heart as soon as the loan was granted; he backed out and left the place for my real tenants.

___
/* This still makes me snort, as the average loan officer reminds me of Ben Rhodes's remark that they were able to hoodwink the press about the Iran deal because the average reporter was 27 years old, had no experience except hanging around a political campaign, and "literally knew nothing."  For the average loan officer, any tax form beyond the w-2 is a head scratcher, and things like K-1s could as well have been written in Sanskrit.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7048 on: December 20, 2019, 08:06:52 PM »
@fredbear ,  I'll have to admit that the loan officer I'm talking to is very sharp and understands things very well.   But she is not the underwriter -- and that's the problem.   It's those policies you were mentioning that will probably get in the way.

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
  • Engineer, explorer, investor
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #7049 on: December 20, 2019, 11:00:16 PM »
@fredbear ,  I'll have to admit that the loan officer I'm talking to is very sharp and understands things very well.   But she is not the underwriter -- and that's the problem.   It's those policies you were mentioning that will probably get in the way.

I asked a loan officer once why they couldn’t count existing assets like cash and stocks in calculating my ability to repay a mortgage. He told me the underwriters we’re concerned I might go to Vegas and lose it all the next month... I didn’t point out that I might also quit my job the next month.