Author Topic: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)  (Read 5086910 times)

Monerexia

• Bristles
Re: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)
« Reply #6600 on: September 01, 2019, 12:00:52 PM »
Got my REI dividend for just over $100. Went to REI to see what "free" stuff I should get. All still seemed too expensive. Dividend still in pocket. :(

You can have them send you a check, though I think you have to wait a couple months.

Yes says you can cash in store as well. Catastrophe averted :)

Monerexia

• Bristles
« Reply #6601 on: September 01, 2019, 12:04:30 PM »
Got my REI dividend for just over $100. Went to REI to see what "free" stuff I should get. All still seemed too expensive. Dividend still in pocket. :(

You can get cash (well a check) now.  Good for me, bad for REI

Yep! Well I guess good for them they did get 6K parked on their card at 0% interest last year from mom's care center. So commerce I guess.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6602 on: September 03, 2019, 08:44:33 AM »
Found Starbucks 2.5lb beans on sale for $12.99 down from $17.99. Bought 12 bags in a Barney Fife spazz. Then I looked at the expiration date and realized I had no idea how long a bag would last. Made little hash marks each day and found out each bag lasts from 56-60 double shots. Coffee will be two months past expiration date when I draw the last double-shot. Except in the case of my untimely death or a house-fire, of course.
Is freezing it an option?

Yes I used to do this..dont know why it didn't occur to me. This probably solves the house fire problem as well. I guess nobody has solved the untimely death problem. :)

Generally, freezing coffee is not recommended. They can absorb smells from the freezer, and it deteriorates the beans: https://thehomemadeexperiment.com/dont-freeze-your-coffee-beans/

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6603 on: September 03, 2019, 11:23:58 AM »
Found Starbucks 2.5lb beans on sale for $12.99 down from $17.99. Bought 12 bags in a Barney Fife spazz. Then I looked at the expiration date and realized I had no idea how long a bag would last. Made little hash marks each day and found out each bag lasts from 56-60 double shots. Coffee will be two months past expiration date when I draw the last double-shot. Except in the case of my untimely death or a house-fire, of course.

Yes I used to do this..dont know why it didn't occur to me. This probably solves the house fire problem as well. I guess nobody has solved the untimely death problem. :)

Generally, freezing coffee is not recommended. They can absorb smells from the freezer, and it deteriorates the beans: https://thehomemadeexperiment.com/dont-freeze-your-coffee-beans/
BJ, I love your voice and I appreciate your input and the link, but my approach is slightly different. First, from the author of the article, "I haven’t done my own blind taste test, yet, but I may in the future." [Dicey raises eyebrow.]

I don't buy flavored coffees, I seal them in plastic before they go in the freezer, and I make it in urns for serving it to a large group. I am also not a coffee drinker. (Note: Careful who you put in charge of coffee.) I only make cold brew, so I can prep it the night before. It's super easy and the coffee gets raves, as long as it doesn't run out. I'm kinda not a participant in the special snowflake approach to teas and coffees. Good is not the opposite of perfect. I also don't place a ton of credence in "Best By" dates, but that's a discussion for another time ;-)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 08:59:10 PM by Dicey »

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #6604 on: September 03, 2019, 11:32:22 AM »
I have a bag of ground coffee in the freezer. I don't drink it, it's there for when I have family visiting.
Hey me too!  I bought it when my mom came to visit in 2015 and maybe used it when she stayed in 2018, but basically, it's over 4 years old and has moved with me twice so has lived in three different freezers now.

We don't drink coffee either.  So when MIL comes to visit she bring her own stuff including a mini coffee maker.  She makes what she wants, then packs is all up.  Everyone one is happy.  I offer to loan her a mug, but she brings her own, just in case we don't have mugs either.  Smart lady.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6605 on: September 03, 2019, 07:11:51 PM »

BJ, I love your voice and I appreciate your input and the link, but my approach is slightly different. First, from the author of the article, "I haven’t done my own blind taste test, yet, but I may in the future." [Dicey raises eyebrow.]

I don't buy flavored coffees, I seal them in plastic before they go in the freezer, and I make it in urns for serving it to a large group. I am also not a coffee drinker. (Note: Careful who you put in charge of coffee.) I only make cold brew, so I can prep it the night before. It's super easy and the coffee gets raves, as long as it doesn't run out. I'm kinda not a pafticipant in the special snowflake approach to teas and coffees. Good is not the opposite of perfect. I also don't place a ton of credence in "Best By" dates, but that's a discussion for another time ;-)

My dad prefers folgers, black. I don't think he'll notice if it absorbs any smell. He's mostly lucky to get coffee when staying with me.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6606 on: September 05, 2019, 10:13:57 PM »
MPP's

DW just noticed after 2 months, that she hadn't gotten paid. She doesn't have a lot coming in.
Fixed it. Cashed the check and in a spending frenzy, bought me a beer.

I noticed after 5 days that I did not have a credit card. Don't use it that often.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6607 on: September 06, 2019, 11:42:09 AM »
MPP's

DW just noticed after 2 months, that she hadn't gotten paid. She doesn't have a lot coming in.
Now, that really is not a lot comig in! Or did you buy beer made out of antartica water? ;)

I noticed after 5 days that I did not have a credit card. Don't use it that often.

Sorry, can't understand that. Either you have one or not, but after 5 days??? Did it run out?

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6608 on: September 06, 2019, 11:59:35 AM »
MPP's

Now, that really is not a lot comig in! Or did you buy beer made out of antartica water? ;)
Just referring to the spending frenzy, not the entire amount.

Sorry, can't understand that. Either you have one or not, but after 5 days??? Did it run out?

I had left it at a bar and did not use it or notice its absence until 5 days later.
Used cash for all transactions, apparently.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6609 on: September 06, 2019, 03:29:33 PM »
One of my Mustachian people problems went away. My employer added a true-up option to the 401k plan, so I don’t have to get my contributions perfectly spread across the year to get my full employer match.  If I max out, the true-up change will ensure I get the full match.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6610 on: September 06, 2019, 10:17:24 PM »
One of my Mustachian people problems went away. My employer added a true-up option to the 401k plan, so I don’t have to get my contributions perfectly spread across the year to get my full employer match.  If I max out, the true-up change will ensure I get the full match.

I think this is a first for MPP-Solved . 

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6611 on: September 08, 2019, 05:53:28 AM »
Current MPP debate, my local grocery overrun chain has non dairy ice cream on sale for $1.49 a pint.  I bought two yesterday but am debating going back because it's such a "good deal."  But I don't really need it so I likely shouldn't buy any more.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6612 on: September 08, 2019, 10:18:53 PM »
I've got a truly mustachian people problem: food poisoning...

I've had food poisoning (salmonella) years ago due to cross contamination in a restaurant (source was found) but this time it's my own fault. It's either from the leftover lasagne from the fridge that I had for lunch that still smelled and tasted right or the soy milk that I tasted to check if it was expired - it was and I spat most of it out. Symptoms started two hours after the soy milk and 10 hours after lunch so it's probably the soy milk but I'm surprised you can get this sick from such a small sip.

My s/o is supportive now of course but I expect him to want a word about my 'trust your senses not the label' policy. He was raised not to eat leftovers or any expired food.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6613 on: September 08, 2019, 10:45:50 PM »

I've had food poisoning (salmonella) years ago due to cross contamination in a restaurant (source was found) but this time it's my own fault. It's either from the leftover lasagne from the fridge that I had for lunch that still smelled and tasted right or the soy milk that I tasted to check if it was expired - it was and I spat most of it out. Symptoms started two hours after the soy milk and 10 hours after lunch so it's probably the soy milk but I'm surprised you can get this sick from such a small sip.

My s/o is supportive now of course but I expect him to want a word about my 'trust your senses not the label' policy. He was raised not to eat leftovers or any expired food.

I once managed to poison myself with a leftover portion of rice. I had taken it out of the freezer, left left in it the fridge for 2 days before eating it. This is a known issue, also called Chinese restaurant syndrom. It is a bacteria that cannot be killed by heating it afterwards. When I read wikipedia about it, it said it could also happen with pasta. So your lasagna could also be a candidate. With normal milk, you can see or smell it when it is over the date, but this bacteria in rice/pasta is not detectable.

Did you do anything out of the ordinary with the lasagna, that you normally don't?

Beterschap toegewenst.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #6614 on: September 08, 2019, 11:24:48 PM »

I once managed to poison myself with a leftover portion of rice. I had taken it out of the freezer, left left in it the fridge for 2 days before eating it. This is a known issue, also called Chinese restaurant syndrom. It is a bacteria that cannot be killed by heating it afterwards. When I read wikipedia about it, it said it could also happen with pasta. So your lasagna could also be a candidate. With normal milk, you can see or smell it when it is over the date, but this bacteria in rice/pasta is not detectable.

Did you do anything out of the ordinary with the lasagna, that you normally don't?

Beterschap toegewenst.

Now I'm curious what that's called in the US cause it's definitely not the same as Chinese restaurant syndrome here

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6615 on: September 09, 2019, 12:59:37 AM »

Beterschap toegewenst.

Now I'm curious what that's called in the US cause it's definitely not the same as Chinese restaurant syndrome here

I think it's Bacillus Cereus. Apparantly it's common after eating Chinese food because they cook large batches of rice a few times a week and then reheat it. Definitely fits my symptoms and the good news is it's usually short. I already feel better 18 hours after lunch - at least the intervals between being sick are getting longer.

I made lasagne and didn't eat the leftovers the next day but the day after. We are also planning to replace our fridge because sometimes it doesn't cool very well so I assume it was cooled less quick than normally, giving bacteria time to grow.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #6616 on: September 09, 2019, 01:48:16 AM »

Beterschap toegewenst.

I think it's Bacillus Cereus. Apparantly it's common after eating Chinese food because they cook large batches of rice a few times a week and then reheat it. Definitely fits my symptoms and the good news is it's usually short. I already feel better 18 hours after lunch - at least the intervals between being sick are getting longer.

I made lasagne and didn't eat the leftovers the next day but the day after. We are also planning to replace our fridge because sometimes it doesn't cool very well so I assume it was cooled less quick than normally, giving bacteria time to grow.

Thanks, I found this info: https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-questions/food-and-diet/can-reheating-rice-cause-food-poisoning/

I regularly leave cooked rice out for the next meal before refrigerating overnight.  And my batches are usually large enough to last up to a week, which get reheated a few times (dat resistant starch).  Always figured that as long as I didn't contaminate the rice after cooking it would be unlikely to cause any issues.  I guess I'm just lucky I haven't been hit by this bug yet (although maybe my immune system is now impervious due to repeated exposure)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 01:50:39 AM by dragoncar »

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6617 on: September 09, 2019, 03:14:55 AM »

Beterschap toegewenst.

Thanks, I found this info: https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-questions/food-and-diet/can-reheating-rice-cause-food-poisoning/

I regularly leave cooked rice out for the next meal before refrigerating overnight.  And my batches are usually large enough to last up to a week, which get reheated a few times (dat resistant starch).  Always figured that as long as I didn't contaminate the rice after cooking it would be unlikely to cause any issues.  I guess I'm just lucky I haven't been hit by this bug yet (although maybe my immune system is now impervious due to repeated exposure)

Leftover rice is the biggest cause of food poisoning in the world. Sushi rice is actually preserved for the short term with vinegar, salt and sugar. Be very careful.

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #6618 on: September 09, 2019, 07:05:54 AM »

snip

snip

snip

snip

snip

Leftover rice is the biggest cause of food poisoning in the world. Sushi rice is actually preserved for the short term with vinegar, salt and sugar. Be very careful.

I have learned something new.  Thank you for the cautionary tale!

My MMM problem.  Now that we are retired and staying in bed past dawn (hurray!!) we have noticed that the bedrooms get HOT in the morning due to eastern sun exposure.  We are slow to use the AC so this had a pretty big affect on us all summer.  Now we are considering putting a shade tree on that side of the house to help with cooling.  That is the side of the house where the power lines are, so we need to be careful on size and placement.  We also need to take into account losing the natural heating during the winter if we block the sun as we are also slow to use the furnace....  Maybe we can find the perfect placement so we get shade in the summer, less in the winter, and don't endanger our power lines. Hmmm.

LV

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6619 on: September 09, 2019, 07:09:43 AM »
My MMM problem.  Now that we are retired and staying in bed past dawn (hurray!!) we have noticed that the bedrooms get HOT in the morning due to eastern sun exposure.  We are slow to use the AC so this had a pretty big affect on us all summer.  Now we are considering putting a shade tree on that side of the house to help with cooling.  That is the side of the house where the power lines are, so we need to be careful on size and placement.  We also need to take into account losing the natural heating during the winter if we block the sun as we are also slow to use the furnace....  Maybe we can find the perfect placement so we get shade in the summer, less in the winter, and don't endanger our power lines. Hmmm.

LV

It was recently pointed out to me that as long as you plant a deciduous tree and not an evergreen, there aren't any leaves in the winter to block the sun from warming your house, so maybe it won't be a problem! 

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6620 on: September 09, 2019, 07:16:25 AM »

LV

It was recently pointed out to me that as long as you plant a deciduous tree and not an evergreen, there aren't any leaves in the winter to block the sun from warming your house, so maybe it won't be a problem!

Or just install a sun blocking screen, maybe one that works automatically?

Good thing about trees is that you might attract more birds and squirrels.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6621 on: September 09, 2019, 08:55:05 AM »

LV

Loren Ver,  You could plant the tree just North of due East of the window. The Sun rises in the Northeast in summer and Southeast in winter.  The farther north you live, the stronger the sunrise change is.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6622 on: September 09, 2019, 09:22:10 AM »
Today's problem is that I've bought my kid's (and my) clothes used for so long that I'm ridiculously out-of-touch about how much things cost new. 

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6623 on: September 09, 2019, 09:35:42 AM »

LV

Loren Ver,  You could plant the tree just North of due East of the window. The Sun rises in the Northeast in summer and Southeast in winter.  The farther north you live, the stronger the sunrise change is.

We have a large plant in front of one window and are growing one in front of a southern window. Less hassle, easier maintenance and quicker growth than a tree and you could even pick one that grows berries if you like. Ours has berries that are inedible but they attract a lot of birds.

sherr

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6624 on: September 09, 2019, 10:45:58 AM »
I once managed to poison myself with a leftover portion of rice. I had taken it out of the freezer, left left in it the fridge for 2 days before eating it. This is a known issue, also called Chinese restaurant syndrom. It is a bacteria that cannot be killed by heating it afterwards. When I read wikipedia about it, it said it could also happen with pasta.

You're probably talking about Bacillus cereus, which is a real thing that gives people food poisoning from rice.

In the US at least "Chinese Restaurant Syndrome" is a completely different thing (that has never actually been demonstrated to exist in any of the several double-blind studies that have been done) that started the (completely evidence-less) panic over MSG.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6625 on: September 09, 2019, 11:29:36 AM »
I am running out of waste bags.

I started at a firm that gives you free bananas and apples, so I now rarely buy those for home. I used to always take one of those small plastic bags to use them as waste bags. Now my reserve is nearly depleted. I may need to either buy plastic bags or "steal" them at the supermarket with packing every single item in one, which feels so damn wrong.

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #6626 on: September 09, 2019, 11:32:43 AM »

LV

Thanks all.  @chaskavitch The simplest of solutions, very deep :).  Maybe find me a nice maple.  More leaves but more animals too. 

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6627 on: September 09, 2019, 12:09:52 PM »
I once managed to poison myself with a leftover portion of rice. I had taken it out of the freezer, left left in it the fridge for 2 days before eating it. This is a known issue, also called Chinese restaurant syndrom. It is a bacteria that cannot be killed by heating it afterwards. When I read wikipedia about it, it said it could also happen with pasta.

You're probably talking about Bacillus cereus, which is a real thing that gives people food poisoning from rice.

In the US at least "Chinese Restaurant Syndrome" is a completely different thing (that has never actually been demonstrated to exist in any of the several double-blind studies that have been done) that started the (completely evidence-less) panic over MSG.

I don't think that MSG ever was a big panic in the country Linea and I are from, so we refer to food poisoning from reheated rice as Chinese restaurant syndrome. We have lots of Chinese-Indonesian restaurants and they are notoriously unhygienic.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6628 on: September 09, 2019, 12:12:47 PM »

I don't think that MSG ever was a big panic in the country Linea and I are from, so we refer to food poisoning from reheated rice as Chinese restaurant syndrome. We have lots of Chinese-Indonesian restaurants and they are notoriously unhygienic.

https://www.newschannel5.com/news/restaurant-caught-washing-grill-rags-and-pots-in-old-hickory-lake

A local story from only a couple weeks ago...

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6629 on: September 09, 2019, 04:46:51 PM »

LV

Thanks all.  @chaskavitch The simplest of solutions, very deep :).  Maybe find me a nice maple.  More leaves but more animals too.

Apples, pears, plums, cherries, figs, apricots, peaches - all deciduous. Just sayin'.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6630 on: September 09, 2019, 07:25:56 PM »
I am running out of waste bags.

I started at a firm that gives you free bananas and apples, so I now rarely buy those for home. I used to always take one of those small plastic bags to use them as waste bags. Now my reserve is nearly depleted. I may need to either buy plastic bags or "steal" them at the supermarket with packing every single item in one, which feels so damn wrong.

If you mean plastic carrier bags, just ask around. I only use reusable bags and regularly refuse all plastic bags. But I like having free bin liners and dog poop bags. I get the bags from friends and family who, for whatever reason, still bring home plastic bags. They are happy to get rid of them!

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #6631 on: September 09, 2019, 08:28:01 PM »
I started using random packaging instead of garbage bags. So far I've used rice sacks, flour sacks, toilet paper packaging, a potato sack, and one empty sugar bag. Maybe a few other things as well. It helps if you don't produce that much garbage, and buy things sold in sacks.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6632 on: September 09, 2019, 09:23:53 PM »
I started using random packaging instead of garbage bags. So far I've used rice sacks, flour sacks, toilet paper packaging, a potato sack, and one empty sugar bag. Maybe a few other things as well. It helps if you don't produce that much garbage, and buy things sold in sacks.
I started to save cereal box liner bags -- they make excellent separators for frozen food portions / meats, etc.   (Yeah, I know, cereal is expensive, but the kids LOVE it and make their own breakfast this way).

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6633 on: September 10, 2019, 12:23:49 AM »
In the past, I put plastic garbage in a plastic garbage bag, to carry it like that to the container. Put now I just put the plastic in the kitchen bin and then carry the whole bin to the plastic container outside.

DH could a birthday present from his brother. Brother orders it from a shop in Germany and let the shop send it directly to us. DH had to pay VAT and toll money to receive his birthday present. It the brother would have had it sent to his own address and put a "gift" sticker on it, we would have received it for free. This is not the first time his brother does this.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6634 on: September 10, 2019, 01:04:52 AM »

Our bin men will only take rubbish that is in a tied bag that they can pick up easily with no spillage. Our old council had wheelie bins so the bin lorry just tipped the whole lot in. We buy the smallest size of bin bag, so they're obviously happy to take something the size of a carrier bag, but I struggle to find any ex-packaging that I can tie effectively - e.g. toilet paper packaging. So I continue spending money to buy plastic to throw away in the most direct manner possible.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #6635 on: September 10, 2019, 10:16:01 AM »

I forgot two more that also work really well - bags from cat food and cat litter. They tend to be very durable, and the cat food bags even seal.

Erma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6636 on: September 12, 2019, 01:39:05 PM »
My file with financial data got too big and is now unusable.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6637 on: September 12, 2019, 01:54:12 PM »

It's possible you might be able to open it if you close down all non-essential programs on your computer.    If so, you can split it into multiple files. 

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6638 on: September 12, 2019, 02:34:42 PM »

Are you in excel? My guess is something got corrupted. because excel is a workhorse. I really don't know how your personal finances could push excel past its limits.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6639 on: September 12, 2019, 02:36:09 PM »

Are you in excel? My guess is something got corrupted. because excel is a workhorse. I really don't know how your personal finances could push excel past its limits.

Backups?

Erma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6640 on: September 12, 2019, 10:30:06 PM »
No, not excel. I have a backup from a month ago, but the same thing will happen again and the saving it as mysql database did not work so I am now trying to find an alternative.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6641 on: September 15, 2019, 01:39:57 AM »
Cross-posted from the anti anti Mustachian overheard at work thread...

For our company retreat, employees can volunteer to lead breakout sessions on whatever they like. Most people do shopping/sight seeing outings, craft beer, baking, yoga, sewing, etc. Just for kicks, because I’m extremely introverted and have two left thumbs and I do not like the social events or the crafty events, I put in a proposal to discuss the FIRE movement and talk about ways to calculate when you can retire. I said I would lead the group if there were a minimum of two people (one person being myself). Imagine my surprise when I checked the sign up sheet and realized my session was full! Apparently there are a lot of people at work who are interested in personal finance.

Now I actually have to prepare a presentation instead of just sitting around chatting with my friend about index investing and our rental properties. Being Mustachian is such hard work...

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6642 on: September 15, 2019, 02:04:32 AM »

For our company retreat, employees can volunteer to lead breakout sessions on whatever they like. Most people do shopping/sight seeing outings, craft beer, baking, yoga, sewing, etc. Just for kicks, because I’m extremely introverted and have two left thumbs and I do not like the social events or the crafty events, I put in a proposal to discuss the FIRE movement and talk about ways to calculate when you can retire. I said I would lead the group if there were a minimum of two people (one person being myself). Imagine my surprise when I checked the sign up sheet and realized my session was full! Apparently there are a lot of people at work who are interested in personal finance.

Now I actually have to prepare a presentation instead of just sitting around chatting with my friend about index investing and our rental properties. Being Mustachian is such hard work...

A bit of a shock for an introvert. :-)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #6643 on: September 15, 2019, 02:11:50 AM »

Honestly as an introvert I never really minded giving presentations.  Nice and unilateral.  Chatting with a friend, however...

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6644 on: September 15, 2019, 05:06:57 AM »

Honestly as an introvert I never really minded giving presentations.  Nice and unilateral.  Chatting with a friend, however...

I also don’t mind presentations. Chatting with a friend about a specific topic is okay. Just chitchatting for no particular purpose except to be social is torture.

markus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6645 on: September 15, 2019, 05:53:31 AM »

I also don’t mind presentations. Chatting with a friend about a specific topic is okay. Just chitchatting for no particular purpose except to be social is torture.

To briefly chime in on this, Freedomin5 has it right and hits on what most people misunderstand about introversion: it has nothing to do with whether you're shy or not shy, uncomfortable or completely comfortable in social situations, etc. (you could be either of those regardless of whether you're an extrovert, introvert or somewhere in between). It's much more to do with whether social situations are draining for you or give you a charge.

The best article I've ever read that nails it is this one by Jonathan Rauch, written for The Atlantic:
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2003/03/caring-for-your-introvert/302696/

Returning to the topic ...

Freedomin5: I'd be very curious to hear if the company responds to the presentation in any way! Yeah, it'd be weird for them to ask you to not give such a presentation, or to ask you to frame it in some more general financial discussion kind of way, but my paranoid side would have me thinking that they might not like it. I think it's awesome that you received so many interested sign-ups like that, and good for you for stepping up to put the presentation together! It really might be life-changing for some of your peers, or the start of a turning point in how they manage their finances.

I'm reminded of the last time a representative from our 401(k) handlers visited Megacorp, really just to cover the basics for anyone who wasn't already contributing to their account. I always attend those things in case there's some new detail I might have missed or in case I think of a question to ask. The rep's presentation was good in that he started with a timeline of one's estimated lifespan and then worked backward to our collective present, then highlighting the financial milestones as they relate to the retirement accounts: RMDs, access to the 401(k), getting the company match, etc. I was the only one who knew what RMDs were (and this is in a group of about thirty!) and when they kick in, and from that moment I was getting a lot of looks, followed by a few comments of, "Maybe we'll have to ask Markus more about this stuff later, heh heh," and so forth. But it was positive, and I got the sense that these are things that everyone would like to know more about but don't make the time for or are perhaps uncomfortable to bring up.

Suffice to say, your presentation will likely be a stand out. Please update us here after it takes place and let us know how it went and how everyone responded.

Alfred J Quack

• Bristles
« Reply #6646 on: September 15, 2019, 09:14:33 AM »
I'm seriously wondering whether this joker is a Mustachian in disguise...

NZ person brings clown to redundancy meeting...

When copy writer Josh Thompson received an ominous email from his bosses asking to discuss his role at the company, he knew he was facing redundancy.

The human resources department at FCB New Zealand encouraged him to bring a "support person" to help cushion the blow, an option that is legally required in New Zealand.

But rather than bring a family member, a friend or even a pet, the part-time stand-up comedian decided to splash out NZ$200 (£100) on a clown called "Joe".

[...]

"Joe" accompanied Josh for the redundancy meeting, where the clown made balloon animals, although he had to be told to stop a few times as it was difficult to hear above the screeching of plastic.

An Unassuming Moose

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6647 on: September 15, 2019, 10:26:38 AM »
I occasionally fly to remote places for work, and a plane ticket can easily cost $2500. My boss offered to get me a corporate card "just in case you need a ticket last minute, you can cover it". I told him that between the three cards I carry, I could cover $34k without breaking a sweat, and that I could easily pay $2500 myself while waiting for the company to reimburse me. He didn't have an answer. I seriously don't want a corporate card. $2500 is $50 cashback if I use my own...

Also, big numbers are not scary. I find myself rationalizing things like "$10k? Oh, that's three or four months of savings. $75k? Might delay FI by a year or so."

bluebelle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6648 on: September 15, 2019, 10:36:30 AM »
I occasionally fly to remote places for work, and a plane ticket can easily cost $2500. My boss offered to get me a corporate card "just in case you need a ticket last minute, you can cover it". I told him that between the three cards I carry, I could cover $34k without breaking a sweat, and that I could easily pay $2500 myself while waiting for the company to reimburse me. He didn't have an answer. I seriously don't want a corporate card. $2500 is $50 cashback if I use my own...

Also, big numbers are not scary. I find myself rationalizing things like "$10k? Oh, that's three or four months of savings. $75k? Might delay FI by a year or so."
I'd love to be able to put more on my personal visa, but alas, I have to use the corporate card for airfare and hotels.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6649 on: September 15, 2019, 10:49:47 AM »

It's not much until you discover that the business can't pay it's bills and is now in bankruptcy.

Not that a corporate card will necessarily help, because they used to be owed by the individual person too.

I know people that happened to, so pay attention to the firm's financial status.