Author Topic: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)  (Read 5087037 times)

Alfred J Quack

• Bristles
Re: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)
« Reply #6400 on: June 20, 2019, 11:49:13 AM »
Now that I am FIREd I am home during the days.  We still have a landline and it rings, a lot.  So many robo calls, scams and junk.  It was different to just delete the answering machines in the evenings.  I think our ACA insurance company leaked our info, we get calls pretending to be them about 4 times a day now.  UGH. 

We could get rid of the line, but I like having it and it is free for the next year.

My sister just applied a new anti-robo call thing to all the family phones, and it's made a huge impact for my parents. Not sure what it was, but do a bit of research and give it a try.

https://www.donotcall.gov/

All the con artists and many businesses pay absolutely no attention to that list.

Which is why such a list should be mandatory and fines if they ignore the list. Works great in my country and a company who bypasses it is either suspect or prone to very large fines.

CptCool

• Bristles
« Reply #6401 on: June 20, 2019, 12:28:59 PM »
Now that I am FIREd I am home during the days.  We still have a landline and it rings, a lot.  So many robo calls, scams and junk.  It was different to just delete the answering machines in the evenings.  I think our ACA insurance company leaked our info, we get calls pretending to be them about 4 times a day now.  UGH. 

We could get rid of the line, but I like having it and it is free for the next year.

My sister just applied a new anti-robo call thing to all the family phones, and it's made a huge impact for my parents. Not sure what it was, but do a bit of research and give it a try.

All the con artists and many businesses pay absolutely no attention to that list.

Con artists you can't do much about as it's hard to serve them. If it's a business you should absolutely talk to a lawyer about it as the business is fined and you get compensation per occurrence. Make sure you haven't explicitly opted in for whatever business to give permission for them to call you - sometimes this is quite sneaky in their terms you agree to

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #6402 on: June 20, 2019, 01:30:11 PM »

I've been on the list since 2007.  Not that helpful.  I don't think scammers really care if they are breaking the rules.

I haven't found a way of blocking calls for a landline, but I"ll do some more looking. 

stoaX

• Handlebar Stache
  • 'tis nothing good nor bad but thinking makes it so
« Reply #6403 on: June 20, 2019, 04:49:22 PM »

I've been on the list since 2007.  Not that helpful.  I don't think scammers really care if they are breaking the rules.

I haven't found a way of blocking calls for a landline, but I"ll do some more looking.

"nomorobo" is a service that some landline carriers provide for free to their customers.  It's worth inquiring about.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6404 on: June 25, 2019, 08:54:08 AM »
I have NOMOROBO and it is good, however, one ring still comes thru which is annoying. The problem is that these scammers just keep changing their phone numbers so it is impossible to NOT to get phone calls. I still get tons of them coming thru. All fake called ID's. Supposedly from all over the country. It is beyond annoying and has been going on for at least 8 years. I have tried to be nice and ask for them to take my name off their list and they just hang up. Oh, yeah, real legit company that would do that.

I like the one where I get a call from 'Microsoft' and they SEE I have a problem with my operating system and they will help me fix it. I have told these JERKS that they are scammers and the guy tries to convince me it is legit. HAHAHAHAHA! Yeah, and I just arrived off the turnip truck too!

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #6405 on: June 25, 2019, 11:35:01 AM »
I was about to suggest MRNUMBER because it was doing very well for free.  But I just got a notice that they require a paid subscription now... sigh.. might try robo but perhaps I’ll end up coding my own app.  All I really want is to easily block all numbers in my area code, but my phone would make me manually enter all those numbers

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6406 on: June 27, 2019, 05:50:12 PM »
trying to give away a solid wood crib in like-new condition with a spring mattress. dropped it to free and no takers, in a large metro. I'm too lazy to haul it to Goodwill/SalvationArmy in the summer. FWP, MPP.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6407 on: June 27, 2019, 06:00:11 PM »
trying to give away a solid wood crib in like-new condition with a spring mattress. dropped it to free and no takers, in a large metro. I'm too lazy to haul it to Goodwill/SalvationArmy in the summer. FWP, MPP.
Have you tried NextDoor, freestyle, and FB? Cribs and car seats have expiration dates and potential liability. If you're sure it's safe, find someone you can pass it to directly. Also consider orgs that help families in crisis. Finally, there's a popular hack of using old cribs to make drying racks. Pass it on to someone who will repurpose it. He'll, put it out on the curb with a free sign if all else fails.

It is not the way of the mustachian to let perfectly serviceable goods find their way into the landfill.

Being this particular kind of "lazy" (quoting you) is not an MPP, IMO.

PhilB

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6408 on: June 28, 2019, 05:45:27 AM »
Have you tried NextDoor, freestyle, and FB? Cribs and car seats have expiration dates and potential liability. If you're sure it's safe, find someone you can pass it to directly. Also consider orgs that help families in crisis. Finally, there's a popular hack of using old cribs to make drying racks. Pass it on to someone who will repurpose it. He'll, put it out on the curb with a free sign if all else fails.

It is not the way of the mustachian to let perfectly serviceable goods find their way into the landfill.

It will disappear much more quickly if the sign says "For sale $50"....

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6409 on: June 28, 2019, 06:02:48 AM »

It will disappear much more quickly if the sign says "For sale $50"....
I like the way you think, PhilB!

Slow&Steady

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6410 on: June 28, 2019, 06:58:52 AM »

Have you called Goodwill/Salvation Army?  In some cities they will schedule pickups from your house.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6411 on: June 28, 2019, 07:07:17 AM »

Yes, tried all the above, except FB (i don't use social media). It is a safe, recent model, no recalls. Have tried to pass it on for free, didn't happen.
Can't put it on the curb/kerb in the neighborhood. We don't have an HOA, but we had a recent spate of robberies when neighbors were leaving free stuff curbside. Hence we decided to stop, with the advice of the local police.
Don't want it going into landfill, never. We try to minimize this. The reseller store (once upon a child) doesn't accept cribs/bedding.
Was just told that a hospice store by my dad's house might be accepting, so will give that a shot before I give it to Goodwill.

@SlowAndSteady No pickups in my area, unless it's actual furniture. Baby furniture doesn't count :-(

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6412 on: June 28, 2019, 08:04:40 AM »
My DH has a bank account in an internet only bank, that doesn't charge you for anything. Some years ago they had the highest interest on normal bank account and higest interest on high interest savings account. They also have a credit card that used to give good cashback until last year. And it has a good travel insurance, like covering up to 1200$ of your own share in rental car crashes. For all these reasons he was at this bank, being a Mustachian person.

The bank has been doing some unfortunate things, like changing the general cashback for some silly discounts for stuff we don't use. Also, they stopped making it possible to receive a foreign payment. And they do no longer provide an electronic login code brick. DH had started to dislike them but hadn't taken any action yet.
Some time ago the bank informed him that it was now possible to pay bills by credit card. In small writing it said that 20% interest would run from day 1. DH just took that as information not relevant to him, because he always has lot of money on his normal account.
Recently he paid 2 large bills that had to be paid manually, 850$ in total. Paid them in his internet bank. Next month, he received his credit card bill. That bill is very high, because it contains those 2 payments. DH thought he must have made a mistake somehow and by accident had paid them by credit card. He logs on to his internet account and pays the CC bill.
Some time later he receives an SMS that he didn't pay his CC bill on time. He is shocked and logs on to his account again. After investigation, he found out that the had paid his CC bill from his CC account, which is now 1700$ in minus.
He also discovers that his account has a list of accounts you can to pay your bills from. The default value in this list has become his credit card account, not his normal bank account. He calls the bank and asks if they can change the default value. No, the girl on the phone can't. DH cannot change it himself either. That means that for each payment he does in his internet bank, he must choose the correct account, or 20% interest will run.. It is his bank that changed the default value without informing him.

DH is finally pissed off enough to now switch banks. That is about time. He also wrote a complaint to the bank about this credit card bill. He doesn't want to pay the 12$ interest he was charged. I hope he will also take it further to some comsumer organization. We have one in particular for banks that I used before to complain about this bank.

DH was looking around for other banks with high interest. Finds 2 that he wants to become customer off. He tries to open an account, and is asked for his electronic log in brick. He currently doesn't have one, because he uses his phone to log in. But you cannot open a bank account without one of those.
DH also has a slumbering account in my internet only bank. He could enter his account by phone. He even found out hecstill had 80$ on the savings account. He would only have to contact this bank to ask for a normal bank card and that would be all. But this bank doesn't have the highest interest. So he doesn't want to request a paid card from them, he would rather have one of the other hig interest banks. Somehow he is in an impasse where he needs an electronic brick (only available in the big, not cheap banks) to open an accpunt in a small, cheap, high interest bank.

Things tend to go a lot better if I pay our bills...

rantk81

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6413 on: June 28, 2019, 09:18:26 AM »
My DH has a bank account in

WOW! That sounds like a nightmare! I really hope you get all the fees back from that bank!  Those are certainly some predatory things they have done.  The simple fact that they 1) changed your default payment method and 2) somehow allow you to make a payment to and from the SAME credit card account, which someone incurs fees is asinine!

If it were me, I'd probably be pissed enough to threaten legal action if they didn't immediately reverse all interest and charges. Then I would close all accounts at that institution.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #6414 on: June 28, 2019, 12:39:31 PM »

WOW! That sounds like a nightmare! I really hope you get all the fees back from that bank!  Those are certainly some predatory things they have done.  The simple fact that they 1) changed your default payment method and 2) somehow allow you to make a payment to and from the SAME credit card account, which someone incurs fees is asinine!

If it were me, I'd probably be pissed enough to threaten legal action if they didn't immediately reverse all interest and charges. Then I would close all accounts at that institution.

Maybe start by just closing the credit card account while you shop for a new bank.  Without good reward you probably don’t use it much and that way it can’t be accidentally used as bill payment.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #6415 on: June 28, 2019, 12:41:30 PM »

Yes, tried all the above, except FB (i don't use social media). It is a safe, recent model, no recalls. Have tried to pass it on for free, didn't happen.
Can't put it on the curb/kerb in the neighborhood. We don't have an HOA, but we had a recent spate of robberies when neighbors were leaving free stuff curbside. Hence we decided to stop, with the advice of the local police.
Don't want it going into landfill, never. We try to minimize this. The reseller store (once upon a child) doesn't accept cribs/bedding.
Was just told that a hospice store by my dad's house might be accepting, so will give that a shot before I give it to Goodwill.

@SlowAndSteady No pickups in my area, unless it's actual furniture. Baby furniture doesn't count :-(

Not sure which prices you have set, but I’ve heard free stuff is often ignored and to try something small like $5-10.  If you’re really serious, hang out at a baby store and be like “hey, pssst.  You wanna free crib?”

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6416 on: June 28, 2019, 01:28:57 PM »

Not sure which prices you have set, but I’ve heard free stuff is often ignored and to try something small like $5-10.  If you’re really serious, hang out at a baby store and be like “hey, pssst.  You wanna free crib?”
Agree wholeheartedly. We were getting rid of stuff from our flip house and noticed this phenomenon, so we started charging miniscule amounts of money. That $5000 custom Anderson door? Yup, we sold it for $100. We'd have given it away, but a little skin in the game brings out serious parties, not just people who scoop up anything that's free. Or ask for it and then never show up. Great suggestion/reminder, dragoncar!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6417 on: June 29, 2019, 01:27:16 AM »

Maybe start by just closing the credit card account while you shop for a new bank.  Without good reward you probably don’t use it much and that way it can’t be accidentally used as bill payment.

Yes, I told him to keep the high interest account in his current sucka bank. And close the normal bank account and the credit card. And the open another credit card at some company where you can put the payments on automatic pay, like DH's bank does not support either. Two of my credit cards support this and I never have to think about it. Then he can use my bank, where he already owns an account to get his salary and pay bills. My bank has had the highest customer contentment rating for several years.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 01:29:00 AM by Linea_Norway »

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #6418 on: June 29, 2019, 06:02:40 AM »
Agree wholeheartedly. We were getting rid of stuff from our flip house and noticed this phenomenon, so we started charging miniscule amounts of money. That $5000 custom Anderson door? Yup, we sold it for $100. We'd have given it away, but a little skin in the game brings out serious parties, not just people who scoop up anything that's free. Or ask for it and then never show up. Great suggestion/reminder, dragoncar!

This is so true!  We bought a house a few years back and didn't need the perfectly usable washer and dryer.  We listed them for free and no one called.  I was complaining to my dad about it, and he said "re-list them for $100."  I did that, and they were gone in two days.  Go figure.   

It just happened again yesterday.  We have a whole pile of nice tongue-and-groove lumber left over from our rehab, and I was going to list it for free.  But then I remembered the teaching of my wise dad, and listed it for 25 cents a foot instead.  I got a call almost instantly, and the guy is coming today. 

Such an interesting phenomenon.  Is it really so rare for people to give away nice stuff that most people don't believe it?  Don't want to waste their time on wild goose chases? 

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6419 on: June 29, 2019, 06:13:08 AM »
My take is that this is the deep ingrained capitalistic (yeah, for want of better word) mentality.

1. Most people would not give away something "valuable" for free, so free stuff can't be valuable.
2. You are only worth not starving if you work. So how can you give someone something way more expensive than bread without having him work for it?

Of course you coild also say it has nothing to do with modern capitalism, but instead goes back thousands of years. As every antropologist knows, there is no "free" present. If you accept it, you are socially indebted and have to pay that back one way or the other. (That is how the world worked before money after all. which basically means 90% of people for 90% of civilization's time.)

If you use money on the other hand, you have a) payed it already and b) you signal that there is no social connection between you. You are just stranger that don't expect to see each other again and are not required to do anything.

Debt: The first 5000 years. Read it ;)

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #6420 on: June 29, 2019, 06:26:06 AM »
Interesting thoughts @LennStar.  I agree that at its core, the need to give something of value for something of value probably has nothing to do with money.   

There's a thriving "politeness-barter" system alive and well in my rural area.  Example:  I responded to an ad recently for free aged horse manure (for my garden).  It was beautiful stuff, and the farmer gave us a whole truckload.  I offered him some money, which he politely refused.  But he happily accepted two dozen eggs from our chickens, complementing us on their beauty.   

In a transaction like that everyone leaves feeling non-indebted, and happy about the exchange.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6421 on: June 29, 2019, 06:30:54 AM »
Nice, could have been an example from the book :D

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6422 on: June 29, 2019, 07:15:54 AM »
Yes, I think both are true. I wouldn't trust a stranger to give away a free working washing machine, so I wouldn't even respond to that. I have accepted a free washing machine from a relative's estate, because I knew it was ok. I pick up free things quite often and also give other strangers free stuff through our neighbourhood's online group, in 95% of the cases they give a token item in return. I picked up some magazines recently and I brought a box of chocolates. I guess we are just hardwired that way.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #6423 on: June 29, 2019, 07:56:50 AM »
Maybe I should get creative with my ads, and say something like "Take it and use it for a while, then if you're happy you can pay me what you think it's worth if you want to"  or  "This thing works fine, we just don't need it.  Please take it and then pay it forward someday to someone else." 

But probably people would just think I'm a flake.  Between strangers money kind of 'sanitizes' the transaction.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6424 on: June 29, 2019, 08:01:39 AM »
I have found if I want to give something good away free and circumvent that, is to be highly descriptive of any possible 'flaws'. Even if it's like, "this printer runs through ink really quickly, and won't run B&W copies if color inks are out, so we keep tape over the color ink cartridges" (actual one I've done). In the case of the washer, 'our old ones are way nicer, this one runs loud'. That lets people know you're being open/honest, gives them a sense of 'ah, that's why this person doesn't want to deal with this, what a great find for me!'. Makes it feel like a win.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #6425 on: June 29, 2019, 08:12:02 AM »
I have found if I want to give something good away free and circumvent that, is to be highly descriptive of any possible 'flaws'. Even if it's like, "this printer runs through ink really quickly, and won't run B&W copies if color inks are out, so we keep tape over the color ink cartridges" (actual one I've done). In the case of the washer, 'our old ones are way nicer, this one runs loud'. That lets people know you're being open/honest, gives them a sense of 'ah, that's why this person doesn't want to deal with this, what a great find for me!'. Makes it feel like a win.

Excellent!  So in the case of my unwanted lumber, I could say "This pile is taking up too much space in our machine shed.  We were going to use it for X project but decided not to, so now we just want it gone" . . .

I tend to just have short factual ads.  Maybe a little more context will help. Thanks @Bracken_Joy 

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6426 on: June 29, 2019, 08:45:26 AM »

Excellent!  So in the case of my unwanted lumber, I could say "This pile is taking up too much space in our machine shed.  We were going to use it for X project but decided not to, so now we just want it gone" . . .

I tend to just have short factual ads.  Maybe a little more context will help. Thanks @Bracken_Joy

Exactly! Yeah, the narrative helps a lot. Then you're not some unknown person offloading some possible trash for who knows what reason. Their brain can latch on to a 'reason'. This is also why I like Buy Nothing groups, there's more of a built in trust vs something like craigslist. (although it depends on your area, of course- I've heard some groups are pretty crappy. And if you're rural, you may not have one in your area at all).

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6427 on: June 29, 2019, 09:29:07 AM »

Exactly! Yeah, the narrative helps a lot. Then you're not some unknown person offloading some possible trash for who knows what reason. Their brain can latch on to a 'reason'. This is also why I like Buy Nothing groups, there's more of a built in trust vs something like craigslist. (although it depends on your area, of course- I've heard some groups are pretty crappy. And if you're rural, you may not have one in your area at all).

This narrative also suggests that taking away the item is doing the giver a favor, and therefore fulfills the obligation.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #6428 on: June 29, 2019, 11:21:52 AM »
This narrative also suggests that taking away the item is doing the giver a favor, and therefore fulfills the obligation.

See, this would be my concern. Given how aggressively people try to haggle over almost-free craigslist/kijiji stuff, I would expect this approach to attract people saying they'll take it if I pay them, as they're "taking it off my hands". Of course I would say no, but I'd still have to deal with those losers.

Or maybe I'm over-thinking this...

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6429 on: June 29, 2019, 12:44:32 PM »
We just put the items next to the street and they are usually usually gone within a day or two.

That's worked for all kinds of stuff.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #6430 on: June 29, 2019, 02:21:59 PM »
We just put the items next to the street and they are usually usually gone within a day or two.

When we lived in a town that worked great, agreed.  Our city had a semi-annual "put anything out by the curb" day, and it seemed like the whole town would go curb shopping, driving around slowly and jumping out to grab what they wanted.  People were not shy at all, and would even penetrate kind of far up into your yard.  It was well known that you better keep your belongings (the ones you wanted to keep) inside on those days.  A friend of mine lost her lawn mower by forgetting to bring it in . . .   

We live in the country now.  No streets, no curbs.  So we must either donate or run ads . . .

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #6431 on: June 29, 2019, 03:07:59 PM »

When we lived in a town that worked great, agreed.  Our city had a semi-annual "put anything out by the curb" day, and it seemed like the whole town would go curb shopping, driving around slowly and jumping out to grab what they wanted.  People were not shy at all, and would even penetrate kind of far up into your yard.  It was well known that you better keep your belongings (the ones you wanted to keep) inside on those days.  A friend of mine lost her lawn mower by forgetting to bring it in . . .   

We live in the country now.  No streets, no curbs.  So we must either donate or run ads . . .
Oh I just love big trash day!  It's such fun around here!  We get all kinds of trash pickers, but my favorite are the people who look through for metal scraps to take to sell at the recycling center.  I keep a box in the basement that I ass metal trash to, only valuable stuff like scrap copper wire.  Then I flag someone in an ancient pickup truck and lead them to me house to pick up the box once a year.  Cause we are at the end of a dead end, they may not find out trash otherwise :-)

They are probably my favorite because I did that as a kid, so I know how much they work to extract value from the scrap I give them.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6432 on: June 29, 2019, 05:09:37 PM »

Oh I just love big trash day!  It's such fun around here!  We get all kinds of trash pickers, but my favorite are the people who look through for metal scraps to take to sell at the recycling center.  I keep a box in the basement that I ass metal trash to, only valuable stuff like scrap copper wire.  Then I flag someone in an ancient pickup truck and lead them to me house to pick up the box once a year.  Cause we are at the end of a dead end, they may not find out trash otherwise :-)

They are probably my favorite because I did that as a kid, so I know how much they work to extract value from the scrap I give them.

You have a good heart.

ScreamingHeadGuy

• Bristles
« Reply #6433 on: June 29, 2019, 08:22:48 PM »
My annual work self-evaluation form had questions about where I saw myself in 1, 2, and 5 years.  After having a joke with the wife I just imagined the question included "if you're still working" and answered accordingly.   

(Yes, I'm sure others have had this same problem in the past 130 pages of this thread but I'm not going to quote all of them and say "+1".)

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6434 on: June 30, 2019, 05:14:08 AM »
In my country, there is a rule that you may not borrow money that is more than 5 times your income. Your credit limit on a credit card, is included in this total amount of what you can borrow.
In the next years, if we FIRE and stop having any income, I think there is no company that can give you a new credit card, because the credit limit will always be more than 5 times 0.
I think we will need to collect some strategic credit cards this year, while we still can.

We only need the credit cards for cash back and making payments abroad. And some nice extra travel insurance.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6435 on: June 30, 2019, 08:38:56 AM »
New MPP (very silly one):
We decided to pay off our car loan and the remainder of my student loans before the baby gets here. Decided we won't be buying a house any time soon again, don't need the cash on hand, and we'd prefer to free up the cash flow. So that brings us to our current MPP: this leaves us 100% debt free. Mint reduced my profile completion %, and is sending emails/giving pop ups asking us to add our loans!

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6436 on: June 30, 2019, 09:43:49 AM »
My take is that this is the deep ingrained capitalistic (yeah, for want of better word) mentality.

1. Most people would not give away something "valuable" for free, so free stuff can't be valuable.
2. You are only worth not starving if you work. So how can you give someone something way more expensive than bread without having him work for it?

Of course you coild also say it has nothing to do with modern capitalism, but instead goes back thousands of years. As every antropologist knows, there is no "free" present. If you accept it, you are socially indebted and have to pay that back one way or the other. (That is how the world worked before money after all. which basically means 90% of people for 90% of civilization's time.)

If you use money on the other hand, you have a) payed it already and b) you signal that there is no social connection between you. You are just stranger that don't expect to see each other again and are not required to do anything.

Debt: The first 5000 years. Read it ;)

Good points LennStar - it is the "socially indebted" hurdle that is hard to overcome unless you turn it into a "pay it forward" scenario.
I do think that most people do not want 'sumptin' for nuttin' and that is a good thing imho.

In our neighborhood - whatever I put out there is gone between one minute and two hours max, guaranteed. If it is something particularly nice people often come to the door to ask if it is OK to take away.
We also get lots of people asking whether they can have some of our fruit from the tree. Teenagers and older people mostly.
There are at two different guys with pick-ups that come around on trash day looking for metal, etc.

I'll look into your book recommendation, hopefully, the library has it for free:)

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6437 on: June 30, 2019, 10:55:18 AM »
I've had great experiences with Trashnothing, but when I've looked at free things on other places like Facebook marketplace or Gumtree, it usually turns out they're not free after all. Either they're listed as free but there's a price in the description, or the "giver" starts mentioning money once you message them. I suppose they reckon it'll drum up more interest if it's "free", and they'll get you with the sunk cost fallacy once you've got involved? So I never look at the free sections there any more because it's such a drag to sort out the genuine free vs the fake free. I'd rather pay a small amount of money to not waste my time.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6438 on: June 30, 2019, 11:05:40 AM »
New MPP (very silly one):
We decided to pay off our car loan and the remainder of my student loans before the baby gets here. Decided we won't be buying a house any time soon again, don't need the cash on hand, and we'd prefer to free up the cash flow. So that brings us to our current MPP: this leaves us 100% debt free. Mint reduced my profile completion %, and is sending emails/giving pop ups asking us to add our loans!
I suppose you could add a $1 loan from your cat.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6439 on: June 30, 2019, 09:29:33 PM »
My MPP this week:

Since we live abroad, we tried to pay off our mortgage via online banking. The website allowed me to pay off everything except $1 + $0.87 in interest. Our MPP is that DH has spent $1300 for a roundtrip flight to Canada so that he can pay off our $1.87 mortgage. If we weren't Mustachian, we would have simply renewed our mortgage for another term.

He's planning to also visit his parents, my parents, several of his friends, and spend time at the cottage to make the trip worth it. Or maybe I should reframe that: He was going to visit his parents and friends anyway; he might as well pay off the mortgage while he's there.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #6440 on: July 01, 2019, 03:17:42 AM »
My MPP this week:

Since we live abroad, we tried to pay off our mortgage via online banking. The website allowed me to pay off everything except $1 + $0.87 in interest. Our MPP is that DH has spent $1300 for a roundtrip flight to Canada so that he can pay off our $1.87 mortgage. If we weren't Mustachian, we would have simply renewed our mortgage for another term.

He's planning to also visit his parents, my parents, several of his friends, and spend time at the cottage to make the trip worth it. Or maybe I should reframe that: He was going to visit his parents and friends anyway; he might as well pay off the mortgage while he's there.

Haha, thanks for adding that last sentence.  I was asking myself why your friends/relatives couldn't help you with that . . .

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #6441 on: July 01, 2019, 07:53:25 AM »
In my country, there is a rule that you may not borrow money that is more than 5 times your income. Your credit limit on a credit card, is included in this total amount of what you can borrow.
In the next years, if we FIRE and stop having any income, I think there is no company that can give you a new credit card, because the credit limit will always be more than 5 times 0.
I think we will need to collect some strategic credit cards this year, while we still can.

We only need the credit cards for cash back and making payments abroad. And some nice extra travel insurance.

That is some good planning ahead.  It sounds like a good rule, but it can cause some pinch points for people that have different life plans :).

Mesmoiselle

• Bristles
« Reply #6442 on: July 01, 2019, 03:08:19 PM »
I'm a medical-related contractor that usually only works about 6-9 months a year. This year will be a 21 weeks because I'm going back to school so maxing my 401k is like, have to be really exact on it. Still, I felt like I could manage it with $7105 left to go.

Until I learned this place I'm contracting through only allows 60% of income as a ceiling.  :( Sad day.

Alfred J Quack

• Bristles
« Reply #6443 on: July 03, 2019, 01:27:11 AM »
My MPP this week:

Haha, thanks for adding that last sentence.  I was asking myself why your friends/relatives couldn't help you with that . . .
I would think because the bank requires the signer to handle this in person? Delegating this with power of attorney (is that the right term?), or something like that, may be seen as insufficient as wel as to provent fraud?

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6444 on: July 03, 2019, 05:31:01 AM »
My MPP this week:

I would think because the bank requires the signer to handle this in person? Delegating this with power of attorney (is that the right term?), or something like that, may be seen as insufficient as wel as to provent fraud?

No, it's because interest is being computed daily, so the balance from the last statement isn't correct one day later.    You ask the bank for a pay-off amount and they give you one that's good up to a certain date.   That's how it's done manually.   It doesn't have to be done in person.

Why can't the website handle it?   Possibly because there's a special feature you have to use instead (that isn't clearly marked and should be pointed out by anyone going to a "zero" balance).  Or possibly because they didn't implement that feature.   Either option would be piss-poor software development, i.e., the norm.

nouveauRiche

• Bristles
« Reply #6445 on: July 03, 2019, 10:04:36 AM »
MPP:  I got brand new, in package bar mops at an estate sale (basically for free - thrown in with other stuff) but now they seem "too nice" to use.

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6446 on: July 03, 2019, 11:53:59 AM »
MPP:  I got brand new, in package bar mops at an estate sale (basically for free - thrown in with other stuff) but now they seem "too nice" to use.

I wonder if that's the same reason they were still in the package at the estate sale. Maybe the previous owner thought the same thing....

Either sell them or use them you don't want to be selling them at your estate unused still in the package!

TVRodriguez

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6447 on: July 03, 2019, 12:09:26 PM »

I wonder if that's the same reason they were still in the package at the estate sale. Maybe the previous owner thought the same thing....

Either sell them or use them you don't want to be selling them at your estate unused still in the package!

Wow, this, yes, definitely this. 

nouveauRiche

• Bristles
« Reply #6448 on: July 03, 2019, 03:43:04 PM »

Wow, this, yes, definitely this. 

Ha ha.  Yes, I unwrapped them, washed them, & put them with the cleaning stuff.  Years ago, I found 1/2 a bath towel at a yard sale for a quarter.  I cut that up and those have been my cleaning rags ever since.  So these "rags" are much nicer.

There was sadly a lot of new in package stuff at this sale.  I bought 3 pairs of shorts and three shirts that had the tags still on.  All I could think of was the wasted money...

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6449 on: July 03, 2019, 04:38:13 PM »
My MPP this week:

No, it's because interest is being computed daily, so the balance from the last statement isn't correct one day later.    You ask the bank for a pay-off amount and they give you one that's good up to a certain date.   That's how it's done manually.   It doesn't have to be done in person.

Why can't the website handle it?   Possibly because there's a special feature you have to use instead (that isn't clearly marked and should be pointed out by anyone going to a "zero" balance).  Or possibly because they didn't implement that feature.   Either option would be piss-poor software development, i.e., the norm.

Good question.  I emailed the loan manager at the bank and never received a response. I guess they don’t often deal with people paying off the mortgage via online banking and don’t know the answer.