Author Topic: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)  (Read 5086476 times)

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)
« Reply #6350 on: June 02, 2019, 09:02:02 AM »
My new Chase business card application is in review and I don't want to apply for another card until I hear back from this one because it would be really difficult to make two minimum spends at the same time. This means I will probably have to pay my power bill without it counting towards a cc bonus. Wahhh.
Love this MPP.

SquashingDebt

• Bristles
« Reply #6351 on: June 03, 2019, 06:35:47 PM »
My debt is gone and my investments have gotten big enough that for the first time since I started my full-time job 4 years ago, the stock market caused my net worth to go down last month, despite saving $1500 in my 401k + IRA.

My net worth graph will never look the same!  ;)

Ladychips

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6352 on: June 03, 2019, 08:12:53 PM »
My MPP problem?  I've been keeping track of my spending for the last few years (to make sure I can retire when I think I can).  I have a few categories that are now straight zeros.  I want to delete them because it feels stupid to have several categories of nothing but zero spending.  But then it messes up my longevity tracking!

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6353 on: June 03, 2019, 08:20:36 PM »
My MPP problem?  I've been keeping track of my spending for the last few years (to make sure I can retire when I think I can).  I have a few categories that are now straight zeros.  I want to delete them because it feels stupid to have several categories of nothing but zero spending.  But then it messes up my longevity tracking!

Excel? Hide the row. Or whatever you're using there may be a similar function.

rantk81

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6354 on: June 04, 2019, 06:21:19 AM »
My debt is gone and my investments have gotten big enough that for the first time since I started my full-time job 4 years ago, the stock market caused my net worth to go down last month, despite saving $1500 in my 401k + IRA.

My net worth graph will never look the same!  ;)

I remember thinking the same thing during the global financial crisis months in 2008 -- when I was just a few years into my working career.  Don't worry.  A few years from now, those "huge" swings on your chart right now will literally not even be noticeable.

rantk81

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6355 on: June 04, 2019, 06:23:16 AM »

In my OCD spreadsheet tracking -- I take these "deprecated" items and try to merge/collapse them together into just one row.... 
For example, on my balance sheet, I used to track each credit card as a separate line item.  Then, after successfully doing quite a bit of card-churning, I collapsed all of them into one line item for "Credit Cards".

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #6356 on: June 04, 2019, 04:38:54 PM »
I wish I could delete like, 75% of the categories from Mint that I've never once had a transaction in.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6357 on: June 04, 2019, 08:21:24 PM »
I wish I could delete like, 75% of the categories from Mint that I've never once had a transaction in.

Mint doesn't let you do that? I guess I am spoiled by GnuCash with its complete customization.

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6358 on: June 05, 2019, 12:05:56 PM »

In my OCD spreadsheet tracking -- I take these "deprecated" items and try to merge/collapse them together into just one row.... 
For example, on my balance sheet, I used to track each credit card as a separate line item.  Then, after successfully doing quite a bit of card-churning, I collapsed all of them into one line item for "Credit Cards".

I did that too :)  I had a column on my spreadsheet with the combined balances called Total CC. That column went to 0.00 back in 03/18, after a year of paying zero interest on the Chase Slate card to get rid of the last $12k of cc debt. Once that was done, I hid the other columns from view.

martyconlonontherun

• Bristles
« Reply #6359 on: June 05, 2019, 01:10:26 PM »
Having to have a friend 'audit' your numbers because of the lack of clear rules around savings rate and your own personal bias and motivation.

I brought Milwaukee Bucks season tickets and the internal debate is should the tickets I sold (which more than covered all costs) count as other revenue and then expenses, Only the extra return as other income, or as a negative expenses. would have a material impact on my savings rate and if i reach my yearly goal.

I feel every quarter I waste a few hours to account for some amount of cash in/outflow since I want something consistent and useful but dont necessary follow GAAP.

rantk81

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6360 on: June 05, 2019, 01:12:16 PM »
Short Term Capital Gains

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6361 on: June 05, 2019, 01:16:38 PM »
Having to have a friend 'audit' your numbers because of the lack of clear rules around savings rate and your own personal bias and motivation.

I brought Milwaukee Bucks season tickets and the internal debate is should the tickets I sold (which more than covered all costs) count as other revenue and then expenses, Only the extra return as other income, or as a negative expenses. would have a material impact on my savings rate and if i reach my yearly goal.

I feel every quarter I waste a few hours to account for some amount of cash in/outflow since I want something consistent and useful but dont necessary follow GAAP.

Unless we're talking a huge amount of money or a consistent amount of non-trivial money here, that will all get lost in the ups and downs of the market.     It's just not worth sweating about.   

martyconlonontherun

• Bristles
« Reply #6362 on: June 05, 2019, 01:21:17 PM »

Unless we're talking a huge amount of money or a consistent amount of non-trivial money here, that will all get lost in the ups and downs of the market.     It's just not worth sweating about.   
I like to track my quarterly savings rate and have personal metrics I bring to the Board (my wife). It's a fun thing we started to try to get on the same page on finances.

Doesn't really effect anything, but when FIRE mindset is a big part of your life and savings rate is at the core of the shockingly simple math, it is hard to just overlook when trying to decide the proper way to calculate. #MPP

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6363 on: June 05, 2019, 02:55:59 PM »

I just treat selling tickets as a reduction in the normal price of the tickets. Doing so also helps me to see what we are effectively paying per seat. If I made more than the total cost, then I would consider excess as revenue.

APowers

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6364 on: June 05, 2019, 05:21:40 PM »

I like to track my quarterly savings rate and have personal metrics I bring to the Board (my wife). It's a fun thing we started to try to get on the same page on finances.

Doesn't really effect anything, but when FIRE mindset is a big part of your life and savings rate is at the core of the shockingly simple math, it is hard to just overlook when trying to decide the proper way to calculate. #MPP

Definitely got to bring a consistent expense rubric to the table, otherwise you might have difficulties like getting stuck in the weeds of whether or not your Pam counts as food. #MPP

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6365 on: June 13, 2019, 04:06:42 AM »
My MPP of the day is this:  After my divorce, when my credit sucked the big one, I didn't have to worry about anyone stealing my identity because no one wanted it.  It's not like they could open any new accounts with it anyway.  Now, I don't have that luxury, so I keep an eye on my score and check my reports if anything looks weird.  I noticed this morning that my credit score had dropped 50 points this month and couldn't for the life of me think of anything I'd done that would trigger that.  Cue 30 minutes of digging into all my accounts and reports.  I finally figured out that a closed card with a good payment history had dropped off.  That kind of sucked because it was the last one that I managed to keep in good standing during and after the divorce.  There will be a good 5-7 year gap between the date that one closed and the date the next newest one was opened.  Not that  I anticipate needing any credit anytime soon, but it's still a bit unnerving.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6366 on: June 13, 2019, 10:13:01 AM »
My MPP:  when carpooling for sports/church activities/family stuff, when I offer to drive (in my '95 Corolla), people give me sideways glances.  I know what they're thinking: "Do you really think it'll make it?"  Of course it will.  It runs just fine, thankyouverymuch.

pdxmonkey

• Bristles
« Reply #6367 on: June 13, 2019, 11:17:05 AM »
Or... Maybe it's because they think they're gonna die in the event of a crash. https://youtu.be/xidhx_f-ouU

letsdoit

• Bristles
« Reply #6368 on: June 13, 2019, 11:19:30 AM »
My MPP:  when carpooling for sports/church activities/family stuff, when I offer to drive (in my '95 Corolla), people give me sideways glances.  I know what they're thinking: "Do you really think it'll make it?"  Of course it will.  It runs just fine, thankyouverymuch.

IDK, bc the guy at the dealership told me that only new SUVs on lease can drive on a road successfully

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6369 on: June 13, 2019, 12:35:30 PM »
Or... Maybe it's because they think they're gonna die in the event of a crash. https://youtu.be/xidhx_f-ouU
My car is no less safe today than it was 24 years ago when it was manufactured.  Twenty four years ago, nobody would have had a problem riding in this car. 

Yes, crash test standards have become far more rigorous since then.  That doesn't mean my car suddenly became a deathtrap.

CptCool

• Bristles
« Reply #6370 on: June 13, 2019, 02:24:23 PM »
My car is no less safe today than it was 24 years ago when it was manufactured.  Twenty four years ago, nobody would have had a problem riding in this car. 

Yes, crash test standards have become far more rigorous since then.  That doesn't mean my car suddenly became a deathtrap.

I think the argument is that 24 years ago it was a deathtrap, and it still is one today. That being said, I also drive a deathtrap

Slow&Steady

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6371 on: June 13, 2019, 02:30:40 PM »

I think the argument is that 24 years ago it was a deathtrap, and it still is one today. That being said, I also drive a deathtrap

Yet, if it was a 1970s or earlier model anything (assuming it runs) it could have to original (sun weakened) lap only seat belts and people would be standing in line to ride in that deathtrap.

Alfred J Quack

• Bristles
« Reply #6372 on: June 14, 2019, 05:07:11 AM »

I think people assume that a car is closer to failing as it ages or maintenance is being skipped. Some things, like an airbag, need to be checked and replaced after a number of years. If people think you are not financially secure enough to buy a new(er) car that you are also not able to keep up with maintenance (which is the number 1 cost people I know try to save money on).

I've driven in older cars with friends which were bought out of neccesity rather than choice. If some part died or broke they kept on driving, if it was possible and/or reasonable. I also hailed a car a while back where his brake lights weren't working as well as one headlight which was dead. He looked me dead in the eye and said the car would receive a checkup in a couple of weeks, he'd deal with it then. No brake lights, at all...

Edit:
I also thought of a "problem" which I had a few weeks ago.

So, I use a brand of shampoo which is anti-dandruff and not too expensive. It's hard to come by and the only local shop which had it at a reasonable price went out of business. So, my supply ran out and I googled. Found a webshop which sells smaller bottles for €1,- each (still cheaper than the shop) so I wanted to buy 10.
As I got to the checkout page, I noted €6,75 shipping. Damn, now it's more expensive than the shop. So I poked around a bit and appearently you can get free shipping on orders over €35,-. Since they didn't have anything else I needed, I'm now stuck with 35 bottles of shampoo :D
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 05:21:39 AM by Alfred J Quack »

TVRodriguez

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6373 on: June 14, 2019, 08:43:11 AM »

So, I use a brand of shampoo which is anti-dandruff and not too expensive. It's hard to come by and the only local shop which had it at a reasonable price went out of business. So, my supply ran out and I googled. Found a webshop which sells smaller bottles for €1,- each (still cheaper than the shop) so I wanted to buy 10.
As I got to the checkout page, I noted €6,75 shipping. Damn, now it's more expensive than the shop. So I poked around a bit and appearently you can get free shipping on orders over €35,-. Since they didn't have anything else I needed, I'm now stuck with 35 bottles of shampoo :D

Sounds like you might now have a lifetime supply!  Cross shampoo off your shopping list pretty much forever.  It's only a problem if you don't have the closet space :)

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #6374 on: June 14, 2019, 11:51:54 AM »

Maybe you could resell it on ebay for a profit, no more MPP

Alfred J Quack

• Bristles
« Reply #6375 on: June 14, 2019, 02:18:04 PM »

I'll use it up, its cheap so I'll accept the box stored in the attic :p

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6376 on: June 17, 2019, 12:48:05 AM »

I'll use it up, its cheap so I'll accept the box stored in the attic :p
Heat might degrade its effectiveness over time. Maybe store it under a bed if you don't have cupboard space?

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6377 on: June 17, 2019, 05:03:14 AM »

@Alfred J Quack , you just might be taking this whole minimize your expenses idea a bit too far...    Chill.    Relax.   

Either turn it into a business that makes enough to be worth your time doing it or just let little things like this go.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6378 on: June 17, 2019, 05:47:11 AM »

@Alfred J Quack , you just might be taking this whole minimize your expenses idea a bit too far...    Chill.    Relax.   

Either turn it into a business that makes enough to be worth your time doing it or just let little things like this go.

No, keep it up, Quack. I frequently buy in bulk to get the discount, especially if it's something I know will keep. I don't think you're taking it too far. I think SwordGuy may have lost the sense of light-heartedness an MPP brings with it.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6379 on: June 17, 2019, 06:20:57 AM »
In my company we just passed the deadline to ask to be fired voluntarily. It would have given me 9 months of salary and not having to work during the 3 months notification period. That would have been a great start of my FIRE project. Unfortunately it wasn’t for the part of the company in which I work, as we constantly hire people.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 06:27:21 AM by Linea_Norway »

PhilB

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6380 on: June 17, 2019, 06:40:14 AM »

No, keep it up, Quack. I frequently buy in bulk to get the discount, especially if it's something I know will keep. I don't think you're taking it too far. I think SwordGuy may have lost the sense of light-heartedness an MPP brings with it.
You realise you have now pretty much guaranteed that you'll go bald in the next few months?

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6381 on: June 17, 2019, 08:00:48 AM »

You realise you have now pretty much guaranteed that you'll go bald in the next few months?

Then I won't have to buy any more shampoo! Win!

Cadman

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6382 on: June 17, 2019, 08:10:54 AM »
On the hot-water geothermal situation, obviously the cheapest solution is not to run the heat pump at all, but if you're already cooling the house, not only is the hot water free, it actually improves the efficiency of primary cooling, so it's better than free!

During house heating, there would be some loss of efficiency to heat water, but it should pencil out cheaper than electric or gas.

I have yet to connect my desuperheater as it's a 100'+ run to get to our water heater, and we don't run the heatpump often enough to justify it.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6383 on: June 17, 2019, 08:19:35 AM »

Maybe?   

For us that would be more than a 10 year supply of something that might or might not be any good in 10 years.  Plus I would have to find someplace to store the unused bottles for that time period.  Now, take that same buy in bulk concept and extend it to other items and you'll need a bigger house to store all the stuff that's going stale until you use it!

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6384 on: June 17, 2019, 08:39:24 AM »

Maybe?   

For us that would be more than a 10 year supply of something that might or might not be any good in 10 years.  Plus I would have to find someplace to store the unused bottles for that time period.  Now, take that same buy in bulk concept and extend it to other items and you'll need a bigger house to store all the stuff that's going stale until you use it!

plurality should not be posited without necessity Keep it simple. Quack didn't mention a rate at which he uses shampoo. We should assume he didn't buy more than he can use before it goes bad.

He mentioned the bottles cost €1, so it seems like they are smaller bottles.

I bought a 10 year supply of razor blades. They take up one small corner of my bathroom drawer. Didn't have to build an addition.

Also, these are MPPs - a close cousin of First World Problems. We're supposed to laugh at our own silliness and move on.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6385 on: June 17, 2019, 08:48:13 AM »

My local store that carried Boraxo Hand soap closed, no one else in town carried it. I called the company and told the rep, she said let me check and came back with you're right, no one in your city sells it anymore.
 So I found it online, but had to order more than I needed, I have a friend that does mechanical work, I split the order with him.
Since then I switched to the 5lb boxes vs individual containers. I made my own refillable container from an empty almond container.

Alfred J Quack

• Bristles
« Reply #6386 on: June 17, 2019, 08:56:34 AM »

Maybe?   

plurality should not be posited without necessity Keep it simple. Quack didn't mention a rate at which he uses shampoo. We should assume he didn't buy more than he can use before it goes bad.

He mentioned the bottles cost €1, so it seems like they are smaller bottles.

I bought a 10 year supply of razor blades. They take up one small corner of my bathroom drawer. Didn't have to build an addition.

Also, these are MPPs - a close cousin of First World Problems. We're supposed to laugh at our own silliness and move on.

The new bottles are 250ml vs the older 400ml. Keeping the 400ml 1 year has led to no problems so this amount will take 2 to 3 years minimum to use.

Unfortunately, baldness does not negate the dandruff for the hair I have left. I shorten it with electric clippers every few weeks to 3mm.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #6387 on: June 17, 2019, 10:54:01 AM »

What did they do? Did they pull out a 1998 museum Corolla for the crash test? That car looked really clean. What a shame.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #6388 on: June 17, 2019, 11:42:23 AM »

plurality should not be posited without necessity
Ok but I’m pretty sure Alfred is a compound entity/hive mind type situation

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6389 on: June 17, 2019, 11:54:25 AM »

Alfred J Quack

• Bristles
« Reply #6390 on: June 17, 2019, 12:08:37 PM »

More like Unity, but who will be my Rick?

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #6391 on: June 18, 2019, 05:04:47 AM »
In my company we just passed the deadline to ask to be fired voluntarily. It would have given me 9 months of salary and not having to work during the 3 months notification period. That would have been a great start of my FIRE project. Unfortunately it wasn’t for the part of the company in which I work, as we constantly hire people.
I got one of those once, got paid 6 months for leaving.  The company was going a bit crazy and I jumped on that!  I'd probably be earning more now if I had stayed, but in a totally different department than either one I had worked in before, I am glad I had the chance to jump when I did.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #6392 on: June 18, 2019, 05:05:40 AM »
On the hot-water geothermal situation, obviously the cheapest solution is not to run the heat pump at all, but if you're already cooling the house, not only is the hot water free, it actually improves the efficiency of primary cooling, so it's better than free!

During house heating, there would be some loss of efficiency to heat water, but it should pencil out cheaper than electric or gas.

I have yet to connect my desuperheater as it's a 100'+ run to get to our water heater, and we don't run the heatpump often enough to justify it.
Ha ha ha!  We have the geothermal with the desupraheater, and honestly I love it!  Well, in the summer and winter I love it.  Fall and spring much less so as the water isn't as hot then.

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #6393 on: June 18, 2019, 05:37:48 AM »

This happened at my company last year too, they were asking older employees for voluntary rietirement -- but not in my department. I'm still a little bitter (just kidding lol)

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #6394 on: June 18, 2019, 08:12:34 AM »
Now that I am FIREd I am home during the days.  We still have a landline and it rings, a lot.  So many robo calls, scams and junk.  It was different to just delete the answering machines in the evenings.  I think our ACA insurance company leaked our info, we get calls pretending to be them about 4 times a day now.  UGH. 

We could get rid of the line, but I like having it and it is free for the next year. 

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #6395 on: June 18, 2019, 08:25:59 AM »
I don't like to shop. Other people like to shop for sport and entertainment. For us its a chore. The ACME APPLIANCE wore out? Dang - now I have to go shop...

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6396 on: June 20, 2019, 09:45:12 AM »
Now that I am FIREd I am home during the days.  We still have a landline and it rings, a lot.  So many robo calls, scams and junk.  It was different to just delete the answering machines in the evenings.  I think our ACA insurance company leaked our info, we get calls pretending to be them about 4 times a day now.  UGH. 

We could get rid of the line, but I like having it and it is free for the next year.

My sister just applied a new anti-robo call thing to all the family phones, and it's made a huge impact for my parents. Not sure what it was, but do a bit of research and give it a try.

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6397 on: June 20, 2019, 10:01:32 AM »

My sister just applied a new anti-robo call thing to all the family phones, and it's made a huge impact for my parents. Not sure what it was, but do a bit of research and give it a try.

https://www.donotcall.gov/

TVRodriguez

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6398 on: June 20, 2019, 11:04:14 AM »

Also, check with your phone company.  Ours gives us the option to block all incoming calls or block all incoming calls except those from about a dozen specific numbers that we provided them.  This came in very handy during campaign periods when pollsters were calling us multiple times per day (this happens a LOT in Florida). 

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6399 on: June 20, 2019, 11:09:01 AM »

All the con artists and many businesses pay absolutely no attention to that list.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!