Author Topic: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)  (Read 5086724 times)

meerkat

• Magnum Stache
Re: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)
« Reply #6050 on: March 07, 2019, 08:08:07 AM »
Went to Bed Bath and Beyond yesterday with a gift card, intent on spending it and getting it out of my wallet.  Couldn't find anything I wanted.  Still have a gift card.  Will probably end up selling it.

I finally just used one that I've had for almost a year. They do have a minimum spend on shipping if you order online and I didn't see a ship-to-store option which I think is a big oversight but they did make up for it by including return materials in the shipment itself when I finally did make an order. They had a shipping sticker and a slip of paper I filled out in less than a minute (I ordered two things because I which I would like better without seeing them in person). I also ordered bath crayons for the kiddo because they're consumable and will be used eventually.

Alternately, keep it around till December and gift it to someone else?

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #6051 on: March 07, 2019, 08:15:36 AM »
Went to Bed Bath and Beyond yesterday with a gift card, intent on spending it and getting it out of my wallet.  Couldn't find anything I wanted.  Still have a gift card.  Will probably end up selling it.

I finally just used one that I've had for almost a year. They do have a minimum spend on shipping if you order online and I didn't see a ship-to-store option which I think is a big oversight but they did make up for it by including return materials in the shipment itself when I finally did make an order. They had a shipping sticker and a slip of paper I filled out in less than a minute (I ordered two things because I which I would like better without seeing them in person). I also ordered bath crayons for the kiddo because they're consumable and will be used eventually.

Alternately, keep it around till December and gift it to someone else?
FYI you can use BBB gift cards at Cost Plus World Market, buybuy BABY, and Harmon Face Values.  Maybe not much cheaper but at least it expands your options.  I find that BBB prices are pretty typical AFTER the obligatory 20% off coupon.  Cost plus can sometimes have decent prices on wine and beer.

PhrugalPhan

• Bristles
« Reply #6052 on: March 07, 2019, 08:56:13 AM »
My work recently started a work from home program.  You can only work 2 days per week from home.  Most people are saving a lot of money by doing this, sadly I am not.  I've minimized my expenses by going to work, by working from home, my expenses can only go up!  For example, many people are saving big bucks by not driving their clown trucks and SUVs 30-45 minutes into work, that's roughly a $10 saving for them, for me, I do save gas on my reasonable small sedan, but maybe like $4.  They get to enjoy actually using the heat they left on all day at 20 while they were at work.  I tired working with no extra heat (turn down to 18 normally in the house (we have a minisplit) and was always off in my office) but the best I could do was turn in on for an hour then off for an hour, etc, so my power bill will only go up!  They get to save money by not eating out at lunch time, me, I bring my lunch most days anyway, no new savings.  They can now make coffee at home, no more buying coffees on the way to work, me, I only buy 1 coffee a week, so I'm not saving there.  At least I'm enjoying the working from home part!
Have you tried a fleece bodywarmer, possibly with the addition of thin fingerless gloves? Kepte warm on the colder evenings in my appartmnt5 at 15C.

A woolen hat on your head also helps keeping your whole body warmer. At home, you could wear that, at least if you don't have to appear in web meetings with camera.
I use a portable room heater when I work from home in the winter. Its the electric oil radiator type.  This room is warm while the rest of the house is cooler.  Pick them up at summer yard sales for around $5.  I have three of them to use as needed (though one is sufficient for a single room).  They also work well for drying clothes - I do my wash first thing on a telework day, let the clothes dry on a drying rack, and over the day cycle clothes on it to dry.  Also helps to humidify the air.

Aelias

• Bristles
« Reply #6053 on: March 07, 2019, 09:41:08 AM »
My work recently started a work from home program.  You can only work 2 days per week from home.  Most people are saving a lot of money by doing this, sadly I am not.   . . .  They get to enjoy actually using the heat they left on all day at 20 while they were at work.  I tired working with no extra heat (turn down to 18 normally in the house (we have a minisplit) and was always off in my office) but the best I could do was turn in on for an hour then off for an hour, etc, so my power bill will only go up! 

Friend - use this as an opportunity to flex some stoic muscle and practice voluntary discomfort.

I work from home 1-2 days a week generally.  We keep our house at 58 while we're there, 54 while we're not (14 / 12 C respectively).  So, it's cold -- sometimes uncomfortably cold.  But your body can and will adjust.  I remember I had to work from home for a whole week during some bad winter weather last year.  Day 1, I was very cold.  Day 2, I was pretty cold but better.  Day 3, I was fine.

In addition to all the good advice from others, I will add: sipping hot water, fingerless gloves, good wool socks, occasional jumping jacks

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #6054 on: March 07, 2019, 10:38:45 AM »

Similar problem. Lowes card. Thought WTH I'll buy an instant pot except they don't sell them at our store. Still have the gift card. Will need to dream up another thing that I want except there really isn't anything else I want there. Will keep until our spring cleanup outside. Surely we'll need something for the yard.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #6055 on: March 07, 2019, 10:43:27 AM »
I work from home 1-2 days a week generally.  We keep our house at 58 while we're there, 54 while we're not (14 / 12 C respectively).  So, it's cold -- sometimes uncomfortably cold.  But your body can and will adjust.  I remember I had to work from home for a whole week during some bad winter weather last year.  Day 1, I was very cold.  Day 2, I was pretty cold but better.  Day 3, I was fine.

In addition to all the good advice from others, I will add: sipping hot water, fingerless gloves, good wool socks, occasional jumping jacks

Got a spare dog or cat to sit with? Mine is currently laying close enough to my feet that I can feel heat radiating off of her.

The Fake Cheap

• Bristles
« Reply #6056 on: March 07, 2019, 04:09:45 PM »
My work recently started a work from home program.  You can only work 2 days per week from home.  Most people are saving a lot of money by doing this, sadly I am not.   . . .  They get to enjoy actually using the heat they left on all day at 20 while they were at work.  I tired working with no extra heat (turn down to 18 normally in the house (we have a minisplit) and was always off in my office) but the best I could do was turn in on for an hour then off for an hour, etc, so my power bill will only go up! 

Friend - use this as an opportunity to flex some stoic muscle and practice voluntary discomfort.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.  I typically wear sweatpants and a t-shirt and a hoodie, with the hood up on my head, and sometimes my bathrobe over that.  I drink coffee which does help, but it's not really something I can drink all day, I might give the warm water a shot, the fingerless gloves may also be a good suggestion.  I'll give it a go during my next work from home session.

NorthernMonkey

• Stubble
« Reply #6057 on: March 08, 2019, 01:53:19 AM »
An electric heat pad might help. Ive got one about 15" by 10", which uses almost no electricity.

I put it on my chair and sit on it.

Its much more efficient to heat yourself directly than to heat a whole room.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6058 on: March 08, 2019, 05:09:35 AM »

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.  I typically wear sweatpants and a t-shirt and a hoodie, with the hood up on my head, and sometimes my bathrobe over that.  I drink coffee which does help, but it's not really something I can drink all day, I might give the warm water a shot, the fingerless gloves may also be a good suggestion.  I'll give it a go during my next work from home session.

Warm water = tea. You can even drink green tea, or herb tea, that isn't real tea.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6059 on: March 08, 2019, 05:57:05 AM »
Warm water = tea. You can even drink green tea, or herb tea, that isn't real tea.
It is tea. it is just tea not made out of the plant we call tea.
But everything hot water + leafs, where you use the greens for flavor and not to "eat" them is tea.
Herbal tea is, like the name says, just a subcategory of tea.

Yeah, I know, I am a bit fickly about this one thing. :D

Alfred J Quack

• Bristles
« Reply #6060 on: March 08, 2019, 06:05:35 AM »

My wife drinks boiled water without leaves too, still calls it tea :P She's also a big fan of 2nd hand tea-bags. She'd make me tea and then re-use the bag in hers. My grandfather did that too, though he dried the tea-bags on a line between uses :s

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6061 on: March 08, 2019, 06:59:55 AM »
But everything hot water + leafs, where you use the greens for flavor and not to "eat" them is tea.

Seems odd to me that someone so finicky would be unfamiliar with the word tisane. If "tea" does not specifically refer to one plant, then there is no word for that specific kind of hot leaf water that makes up the overwhelming majority of hot leaf water enjoyed worldwide.

Also, British English is much more strict about tea versus tisane, and that is the dialect that Linda speaks and writes in.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6062 on: March 08, 2019, 07:41:14 AM »

Seems odd to me that someone so finicky would be unfamiliar with the word tisane. If "tea" does not specifically refer to one plant, then there is no word for that specific kind of hot leaf water that makes up the overwhelming majority of hot leaf water enjoyed worldwide.

Also, British English is much more strict about tea versus tisane, and that is the dialect that Linda speaks and writes in.

+1  I speak American English, and while I colloquially refer to herbal 'teas', the proper term, if you're going to be finicky, is tisane.  "Tea" does, in fact, refer to the tea plant specifically, and herbal 'tea' is not really tea.  Just like you wouldn't call brewed chocolate nibs 'coffee' because it's all just bean-water.  Incidentally, a tisane doesn't have to be made of the leaf of the plant, berries, seeds, bark, etc are also used (e.g. rosehips, cinnamon, allspice)

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6063 on: March 08, 2019, 10:19:36 AM »

+1  I speak American English, and while I colloquially refer to herbal 'teas', the proper term, if you're going to be finicky, is tisane.  "Tea" does, in fact, refer to the tea plant specifically, and herbal 'tea' is not really tea.  Just like you wouldn't call brewed chocolate nibs 'coffee' because it's all just bean-water.  Incidentally, a tisane doesn't have to be made of the leaf of the plant, berries, seeds, bark, etc are also used (e.g. rosehips, cinnamon, allspice)

Lol. Just call it all an infusion and be done with it. I'll be over here with my bean-water giggling.

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6064 on: March 08, 2019, 01:00:28 PM »
Incidentally, a tisane doesn't have to be made of the leaf of the plant, berries, seeds, bark, etc are also used (e.g. rosehips, cinnamon, allspice)

I hereby retract my incorrect use of "hot leaf water".

Lol. Just call it all an infusion and be done with it. I'll be over here with my bean-water giggling.

Where is the distinction between infusions and bean-water, anyway, if seeds like cardamom and nutmeg make infusions and coffee beans are actually seeds? :P

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #6065 on: March 08, 2019, 01:08:17 PM »
Incidentally, a tisane doesn't have to be made of the leaf of the plant, berries, seeds, bark, etc are also used (e.g. rosehips, cinnamon, allspice)

Where is the distinction between infusions and bean-water, anyway, if seeds like cardamom and nutmeg make infusions and coffee beans are actually seeds? :P

I like my water orange and foamy.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6066 on: March 08, 2019, 06:44:21 PM »

Aww, come on, bean-water was funny.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6067 on: March 09, 2019, 05:59:24 AM »

Aww, come on, bean-water was funny.

Now I want my morning bean water.

Also I refer to all such things as "infusion" if I'm describing a medicinal use and "tea" if not. Doesn't matter if I'm making with leaves, berries, roots, or bark. "Tisane" doesn't occur in my dialect.

Some of the best orange foamy water is Nehi, either peach or orange flavor. Can't much find it around here.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #6068 on: March 09, 2019, 07:14:01 AM »

This is referred to as black tea

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6069 on: March 09, 2019, 02:23:50 PM »

Did you know black tea is really orange pekoe?

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6070 on: March 09, 2019, 02:29:25 PM »

It gets black when it is flown in a parabolic flight at 12000 meters.

The Keen Saver

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Striving for FI, no plans to RE yet.
« Reply #6071 on: March 11, 2019, 03:55:52 AM »
Not sure if this is a MPP or something else. I love walking to work. It is about 5.5 km which takes me less than 40 mins to walk. I do it every work day regardless of the weather. I put on a podcast and enjoy the walk. And nobody seems to understand. They all say why don't you get the Luas (tram) which goes directly from my house to work. My response is that it costs about 5 euro a day and is packed like a tin of sardines during rush hour. Why don't you get the bus? I walk faster than the bus which also costs about 5 quid a day and is packed full of people too.

I could cycle too which I used to do a lot but I work in the city center and the roads are awful for cyclists and I can't listen to my podcasts on the bike. No one seems to understand that I actually enjoy walking to work and have no problem walking in the cold for 40 minutes in the morning. I don't have to wait around on some one else's  schedule (bus or tram) to get to work, I don't have to rush to catch the bus if I'm running late. I leave when I want and I get to work at the same time because I set my own schedule.

Is it because there is an element of hardship that people can't relate? If it rains I wear my waterproofs, if it snows I wear my hiking boots, if its sunny out I'm already wearing shorts. It just seems like a no brainer. It's the cheaper, healthier and faster than public transport yet I am the odd one out.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6072 on: March 11, 2019, 07:21:32 AM »
Not sure if this is a MPP or something else. I love walking to work. It is about 5.5 km which takes me less than 40 mins to walk. I do it every work day regardless of the weather. I put on a podcast and enjoy the walk. And nobody seems to understand. They all say why don't you get the Luas (tram) which goes directly from my house to work. My response is that it costs about 5 euro a day and is packed like a tin of sardines during rush hour. Why don't you get the bus? I walk faster than the bus which also costs about 5 quid a day and is packed full of people too.

I could cycle too which I used to do a lot but I work in the city center and the roads are awful for cyclists and I can't listen to my podcasts on the bike. No one seems to understand that I actually enjoy walking to work and have no problem walking in the cold for 40 minutes in the morning. I don't have to wait around on some one else's  schedule (bus or tram) to get to work, I don't have to rush to catch the bus if I'm running late. I leave when I want and I get to work at the same time because I set my own schedule.

Is it because there is an element of hardship that people can't relate? If it rains I wear my waterproofs, if it snows I wear my hiking boots, if its sunny out I'm already wearing shorts. It just seems like a no brainer. It's the cheaper, healthier and faster than public transport yet I am the odd one out.

I totally understand that you love walking to work, but I am a Mustachian.
I walk to work once or twice a week, although I use a lot more time than you do. My distance is further than yours and in the winter it takes even more time because I walk partly through a forest path that is not cleared of snow. It is also icy on the roads the rest of the route. So I use spike soles under my shoes. I use 1:10 hour in summer and 1:30 hour in winter, each way. Because it takes so much time, I don't do it every day. As I get sweaty when I do it, I also need to change clothes when I arrive. So I wear sports clothes while walking.

I also love listening to podcasts while I walk. The walking is a bit of me-time, and in my case partly through some green areas, which is good for my soul.

I often walk on days when the weather is nice, so that I get to see some sunlight. But also on days that I expect there to be snow chaos on the roads. It is so nice to avoid being a part of that chaos.

Zoot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6073 on: March 11, 2019, 09:57:46 AM »

Best.  Comment.  Ever.   

:)

bluebelle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6074 on: March 11, 2019, 03:43:58 PM »
not so humble brag......my raise and bonus this year were enough to research if there is a $ limit to my employer match on my group RRSP (Canadian version of a 401K).   I know there are folks on this forum that make way more than I do, but I recognize that I make really good coin doing a job I enjoy.

my first MPP - there is no one besides my spouse I can tell.  Given how we live - people would be shocked at what I make.  And I like the stealth wealth.

my second MPP is now I have to decide where/how to invest that extra money.  What a wonderful first world problem to have.  And having the ability to recognize what a gift it is.  Because other than a replacement iPad for my 8 year old iPad, I can't think of a single thing I need/want to buy.   And the urge to buy the iPad isn't that strong, I'll wait until this one freezes once too many times in a day and accidentally gets thrown across the room.

BicycleB

• Walrus Stache
  • Older than the internet, but not wiser... yet
« Reply #6075 on: March 11, 2019, 04:40:34 PM »

Very Mustachian people problem!

You could just tell 'em you like walking.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6076 on: March 12, 2019, 12:23:18 AM »

I've tried that too, but it seems nobody likes walking to and from work. If you like walking you book package holidays in other countries where you walk from hotel to hotel and have your luggage transported.

The Keen Saver

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6077 on: March 12, 2019, 03:13:55 AM »

I've tried that too, but it seems nobody likes walking to and from work. If you like walking you book package holidays in other countries where you walk from hotel to hotel and have your luggage transported.

Yes. It seems that walking is something that shouldn't be seen as a mode of transport but a pastime...

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #6078 on: March 12, 2019, 05:14:18 AM »

Yes. It seems that walking is something that shouldn't be seen as a mode of transport but a pastime...

This is so true.  When a random driver drove a Civic into my  Ranger pushing it into my husbands Impala, destroying all three vehicles at 230 in the morning, my DH and I walked to a car rental place later that day.  It was a little over two miles away, so about a half an hour walk.  Friends and coworkers just couldn't understand that we walked to the rental place.  WALKED!  Why didn't you Uber?  Why didn't you call someone to give you a ride?   Well, it was only half an hour, shorter than my evening walk, and we don't have a smart phone so Uber isn't even an option.

So strange....

TVRodriguez

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6079 on: March 12, 2019, 10:45:32 AM »
not so humble brag......my raise and bonus this year were enough to research if there is a $ limit to my employer match on my group RRSP (Canadian version of a 401K).   I know there are folks on this forum that make way more than I do, but I recognize that I make really good coin doing a job I enjoy.

my first MPP - there is no one besides my spouse I can tell.  Given how we live - people would be shocked at what I make.  And I like the stealth wealth.

my second MPP is now I have to decide where/how to invest that extra money.  What a wonderful first world problem to have.  And having the ability to recognize what a gift it is.  Because other than a replacement iPad for my 8 year old iPad, I can't think of a single thing I need/want to buy.   And the urge to buy the iPad isn't that strong, I'll wait until this one freezes once too many times in a day and accidentally gets thrown across the room.

Congratulations!  That is a great problem to have.  You're right--lots of other people would assume that you would, of course, spend the entire raise and bonus.  What else would you do with it??  :P

Here's hoping the iPad does not get thrown, accidentally or otherwise.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #6080 on: March 12, 2019, 01:44:06 PM »

Congratulations!  That is a great problem to have.  You're right--lots of other people would assume that you would, of course, spend the entire raise and bonus.  What else would you do with it??  :P

Those older iPads can survive being thrown across the room.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6081 on: March 12, 2019, 06:24:41 PM »

Or dropped on a concrete floor...

bluebelle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6082 on: March 12, 2019, 06:28:08 PM »

I was thinking tile......or giving it to my very elderly mother to see if she could manage facetime.....I imagine it would be dropped within the first 24 hours.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6083 on: March 13, 2019, 01:44:44 AM »

I was thinking tile......or giving it to my very elderly mother to see if she could manage facetime.....I imagine it would be dropped within the first 24 hours.

Be careful not to crack your floor tiles. That might be difficult/expensive to repair.

The Keen Saver

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6084 on: March 15, 2019, 05:15:16 AM »
In Ireland at the moment bank interest rates are terrible and trying to find a bank account that has a savings rate of 1.5 - 2 % is not easy and then most of them are capped at a certain contribution a month such as €1000. Then once you go over a certain number such as €10,000 the interest drops to something like 0.2%. Makes saving money for a house down payment difficult since its basically depreciating wherever I put it. The only option is to open a string of savings accounts and spread the money out over multiple banks. Except that some of the banks only offer those average rates if you also have a current account with the bank and deposit X amount each month.

radram

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6085 on: March 15, 2019, 05:44:08 AM »
In Ireland at the moment bank interest rates are terrible and trying to find a bank account that has a savings rate of 1.5 - 2 % is not easy and then most of them are capped at a certain contribution a month such as €1000. Then once you go over a certain number such as €10,000 the interest drops to something like 0.2%. Makes saving money for a house down payment difficult since its basically depreciating wherever I put it. The only option is to open a string of savings accounts and spread the money out over multiple banks. Except that some of the banks only offer those average rates if you also have a current account with the bank and deposit X amount each month.

That is "interesting"(see what I did there). Here in the states, a higher balance can often earn a higher yield. What is the reasoning for decreasing the yield? Why do they want to discourage saving?

I am visiting Ireland this summer. We are really looking forward to it.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6086 on: March 15, 2019, 12:50:33 PM »

That is "interesting"(see what I did there). Here in the states, a higher balance can often earn a higher yield. What is the reasoning for decreasing the yield? Why do they want to discourage saving?

Probably the same as in the other countries too: What should the bank do with all that money?
They don't want to lend it to anything that has any risk. So they don't do it. Which means that the central banks keep printing money in the hope of banks lending money. Which they still don't do.
Which means the main rate is still at 0% and banks still have to PAY money if they want to put their stash into the central bank.

Or, as I like to say it, there is simply too much money sloshing around in the system.

e.g. Modern Monetary Theory could very simply explain to you why there is no inflation even though money supply is increasing far faster than real economy growth for decades now - but since MMT is "socialist", every US citizen is forbidden to read about it! HARHARHAR!

(hint: The money is mostly owned (and even worse nearly exclusivly going to) by people who have far more than they use for consuming. So they don't use that money. And if nobody is consuming, no growth.
That is part of the reason for the consumer frenzy everywhere in the economic circles. (We need to consume more!!)
btw. We mustachians are, albeit nearly from the other side, part of the same "problem".)

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6087 on: March 15, 2019, 01:47:17 PM »

I've actually seen quite a few situations like what was described here. We have a rewards checking account that is 2% up to $25,000 and then drops to 0.1%.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6088 on: March 16, 2019, 03:38:43 AM »
I'm actually jealous. I get 0,03% over my savings and 0,04% over the money that's in my account for more than a year. Those are normal rates over here. You can do your research and find banks that offer slightly more but it's hardly worth the hassle. It's not like you'd get 0,5% there.

radram

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6089 on: March 16, 2019, 07:21:04 AM »

I've actually seen quite a few situations like what was described here. We have a rewards checking account that is 2% up to $25,000 and then drops to 0.1%.

I've been really interested in CitBank. Currently a tiered rate (only 2 tiers) of 1.17%, and 2.45% if over $25,000. Anyone have good or bad to say about them?

https://www.cit.com/cit-bank/tiered-savings-account-savings-builder-direct/#savingsbuilderfaq

I assume there are rules that prohibit foreign investment correct?

Alfred J Quack

• Bristles
« Reply #6090 on: March 16, 2019, 01:54:19 PM »

Be careful, she might start using it as a cutting board.

But we had a colleague come in with a defective iPad. It was bent at a 20 degree angle. Appearently, the had it in a speaker system which was pulled down by her daughter and the force of it was enough to bend the thing. I didn't ask about the floor though, whether it was cracked or not :P

KathrinS

• Bristles
    • A Chat with Kat
« Reply #6091 on: March 16, 2019, 03:12:55 PM »
My main MPP is that I have to smile and nod and look inconspicuous whenever people start to whine about the 'cost of living' in my area. The other day I was speaking to someone who's interested in freelancing. I mentioned that people in full time employment probably only need 3 months' emergency expenses, but in self employment, 6 months are recommended. His response: 'Hmm, 3 months.. I do have savings, but not THAAAT MUCH.'

Wrenchturner

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6092 on: March 16, 2019, 03:33:22 PM »

Joe Rogan: You're used to doing that: get in your car, sit down.  Drive to the office, sit down. Go to lunch, sit down.  Go to the board meeting, sit down. Get in your car on the way home, sit down. Get home in front of the TV, sit down.  Then go to the gym...? F*ck off!

Podcasts are great for this kind of stuff!

The Fake Cheap

• Bristles
« Reply #6093 on: March 16, 2019, 06:50:42 PM »
Not really a problem but I thought I would share anyway.

My paycheque was screwed up a while back, so I only got paid about half of my normal pay.

I emailed my supervisor about it and she told me to go see her so she could find out more about it.

After we we done talking about the missing pay, she said she was a bit releived that I wasn't super upset about the missing money.  She thought I would be pissed because she has heard that "I was careful with my money".

I replied that "Things like this are the reason I'm careful with my money...so I don't have to worry about money."

Wrenchturner

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6094 on: March 16, 2019, 08:02:32 PM »
Not really a problem but I thought I would share anyway.

My paycheque was screwed up a while back, so I only got paid about half of my normal pay.

I emailed my supervisor about it and she told me to go see her so she could find out more about it.

After we we done talking about the missing pay, she said she was a bit releived that I wasn't super upset about the missing money.  She thought I would be pissed because she has heard that "I was careful with my money".

I replied that "Things like this are the reason I'm careful with my money...so I don't have to worry about money."

I think FU money exists on a spectrum.  This event is on that spectrum.  I took last November off to go to Asia and my HR person was concerned about my $80 benefits payment... it really made no difference to me when it would be deducted and I was a bit unnerved to find out that people are that tight on cash.

Sometimes glitches and malfunctions just happen.  If I'm going to be pissed at my managers, I'd like to ensure it's for a reason they can control. 

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6095 on: March 16, 2019, 09:53:08 PM »
Hurricane back in Oct. pushed in a brick wall. I ordered 1500 brick  to repair it.
 The rep said they sent the order a little short, you only got 1484 brick, and that's
what the invoice billed 1484 brick @ $0.3999. Because of my vehicle, I had to make two
trips to carry all the brick. When I stacked the first load, I noted it was short, so I counted
what was left at the dealer, it was also short.
 I said to the dealer that I was short 28 brick, "he said what do you want me to do", I said,
 "just credit my credit card for the difference."
 The secretary was there and he said, credit his card and add a $25 handling fee!
 He was pissed, and said nobody ever counts* their brick.
 I told him to just forget it, and he did, so MPP, I had to pay $11 for something I didn't get.

*ya, contractors never count brick, they always order extra, they have plenty, the consumer pays the bill, and ever one is happy. Especially the brick manufacturer that, from "my experience" sends short pallets.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6096 on: March 17, 2019, 12:22:04 AM »
My main MPP is that I have to smile and nod and look inconspicuous whenever people start to whine about the 'cost of living' in my area.

For me it's power bills!

Energy prices are under scrutiny in Australia, with stagnant wage growth, the closure of some coal-fired power stations, and a state and federal election around the corner.

I'm a member of a couple of money-saving groups on Facebook, and every week someone asks which energy provider is the cheapest.

But the conversation rarely gets to the question of usage.

My last power bill was $229 for the quarter, the lowest it's been in five quarters.

Want to spend less on your energy bill? Step one has to be: use less!

Bloop Bloop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6097 on: March 17, 2019, 12:44:05 AM »
My main MPP is that I have to smile and nod and look inconspicuous whenever people start to whine about the 'cost of living' in my area.

For me it's power bills!

Energy prices are under scrutiny in Australia, with stagnant wage growth, the closure of some coal-fired power stations, and a state and federal election around the corner.

I'm a member of a couple of money-saving groups on Facebook, and every week someone asks which energy provider is the cheapest.

But the conversation rarely gets to the question of usage.

My last power bill was $229 for the quarter, the lowest it's been in five quarters.

Want to spend less on your energy bill? Step one has to be: use less!

I used to share with a room-mate who would regularly set the thermostat to 27 degrees celsius on winter nights. As a result our monthly power bill was about $220.

Since he's left and it's now just me and my partner, our winter power bill is about $90 per month and summer power bill $40 a month. In winter when my partner (who is more cold sensitive) than me is here I set the thermostat to 21 degrees and when it's just me I set it to 17 degrees. I have natural cold resistance - when it's 25 degrees indoors I stroll around in my underwear, so I'm not bothered by cold.

It does help that I got a 25% reduction in rates from my energy supplier after complaining and taking them to the Ombudsman for bait and switch tactics, but man, "regular people" use a shit ton of energy.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6098 on: March 17, 2019, 01:01:06 AM »
I used to share with a room-mate who would regularly set the thermostat to 27 degrees celsius on winter nights.

I'm pretty sure that would make me feel ill!

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #6099 on: March 17, 2019, 05:41:25 AM »

I've been really interested in CitBank. Currently a tiered rate (only 2 tiers) of 1.17%, and 2.45% if over $25,000. Anyone have good or bad to say about them?

https://www.cit.com/cit-bank/tiered-savings-account-savings-builder-direct/#savingsbuilderfaq

I assume there are rules that prohibit foreign investment correct?

Another option -- Ally has 2.2% with no lower or upper limits on their savings accounts now.