Author Topic: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)  (Read 5086536 times)

Blindsquirrel

• Pencil Stache
Re: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)
« Reply #6000 on: February 20, 2019, 05:09:47 PM »
  Your organization is impressive otherjen!
Me, not so much.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6001 on: February 20, 2019, 05:59:41 PM »
  Your organization is impressive otherjen!
Me, not so much.

Thanks. It was definitely a skill learned the hard way (see: large previous debt). These forums have been enormously helpful.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6002 on: February 20, 2019, 08:42:33 PM »
Did our taxes using TurboTax and saved $300+ compared to using the accountant last year.  Will have to pay that and more due to income outside of our jobs.  Celebrated because, hey, interest free loan from Uncle Sam!

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6003 on: February 21, 2019, 04:56:35 AM »
@Sugaree @SunshineAZ do you both feel comfortable on Roatan now that Mainland Honduras is so messed up?  I visited in 2004 and loved it. Bluest water I'd ever seen and some amazing seafood. I always dreamed of going back. I'm hesitant to visit again though until politics are more settled. Is there a big expat community there?

We went last summer and never felt unsafe.  We stayed mostly on the grounds of a resort, but did stay one night at a hostel and wandered around the touristy part of the island.  My husband skipped a couple of days of diving due to an ear infection and went exploring in the city.  I would definitely go back, and take my kid.  The one thing I did draw the line at was requiring that we fly directly into and out of Coxen Hole airport.  A lot of flights I looked at had at least a short layover in San Pedro Sula on the mainland.  If it had been just me and my husband then I might have considered it, but I wasn't going to risk it with my 5 year-old. 

As far as the expat community goes, there does seem to be a good sized one there, but SunshineAZ might be able to answer more questions about that currently.  In fact, Roatan seemed to me to be a lot of older retirees and families with kids.  I think that the neighboring island of Utila has a bit more of the younger crowd and nightlife. 

SunshineAZ

• Stubble
« Reply #6004 on: February 21, 2019, 07:52:55 AM »
@Sugaree @SunshineAZ do you both feel comfortable on Roatan now that Mainland Honduras is so messed up?  I visited in 2004 and loved it. Bluest water I'd ever seen and some amazing seafood. I always dreamed of going back. I'm hesitant to visit again though until politics are more settled. Is there a big expat community there?

There is a much different situation on Roatan, than the mainland.  However, there are incidents where some people from the mainland come over and cause trouble, rob tourists, etc., but the expat community has really stepped up to report the offenders and catch them, so they usually get caught relatively quickly and sent back to the mainland.  The expat community has also pitched in and provided several police vehicles and there are some closed "Crime watch" site where people post photos and incident reports to help the police catch criminals.  Basically, the rules there are the same as most places, don't walk in dark isolated areas at night, don't leave valuables unattended and lock your doors. 

We always stay at Anthony's Key Resort, which is extremely safe, and we have been going there since 2002, even during the time of the government coup in 2009.   I will say that we are lucky to be friends with several trustworthy locals and taxi drivers, so we always deal with them when we go into town or need anything. 

letsdoit

• Bristles
« Reply #6005 on: February 21, 2019, 09:19:08 AM »
Did our taxes using TurboTax and saved $300+ compared to using the accountant last year.  Will have to pay that and more due to income outside of our jobs.  Celebrated because, hey, interest free loan from Uncle Sam!

i did mine turbo tax, only saved 75$ 

i'm thinking about goign back to accountant next year bc my taxes were more w turbo tax (i know there might be other confounding variables )

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6006 on: February 21, 2019, 10:57:12 AM »
Last week I went on a short trip to Germany. I hadn't done anything extravagant and when I added up everything I was somewhat shocked by the total. I thought I'd spent a bit less than I had in reality.

Today at work we discussed trip expenses and I told them I'd been spendier than normal (they know I'm frugal/cheap). However, when I shared my (to me) shockingly high expenses over 5 days my two coworkers were totally non-impressed and said that it sounded like their food budget for a single day :(

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #6007 on: February 21, 2019, 01:55:26 PM »

i'm thinking about goign back to accountant next year bc my taxes were more w turbo tax (i know there might be other confounding variables )

Just look at your previous filings to see which additional deductions were taken that you didn’t take this year.  Unless you have wildly different tax situations from year to year, you can basically use the old ones as a cheat sheet.  That being said, quite a few deductions went away due to trumps crappy tax reform

sherr

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6008 on: February 21, 2019, 03:34:36 PM »

Just look at your previous filings to see which additional deductions were taken that you didn’t take this year.  Unless you have wildly different tax situations from year to year, you can basically use the old ones as a cheat sheet.  That being said, quite a few deductions went away due to trumps crappy tax reform

Heh, this is like the worst year possible to give that advice, everyone's tax situation is wildly different this year thanks to the TCJA.

@letsdoit FYI my taxes are higher this year too thanks to the law changes. Feel free to try an accountant next year just to see, but don't be too surprised if you get the same result.

aetherie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6009 on: February 21, 2019, 08:24:03 PM »
When you file state taxes in VT, they charge a 6% use tax on items you purchased online (or out of state) and didn't pay sales tax on. The tax form has two options: either you can go back through your receipts for the year and calculate the exact amount you owe, or you can go the easy way and use their estimation table, which puts it at ~0.1% of income. My MPP is that I knew we didn't spend anywhere near the amount they used to make that estimation table, so I took 45 minutes and did it the hard way. (And saved $130 for my troubles!)

BicycleB

• Walrus Stache
  • Older than the internet, but not wiser... yet
« Reply #6010 on: February 22, 2019, 02:42:37 AM »
When you file state taxes in VT, they charge a 6% use tax on items you purchased online (or out of state) and didn't pay sales tax on. The tax form has two options: either you can go back through your receipts for the year and calculate the exact amount you owe, or you can go the easy way and use their estimation table, which puts it at ~0.1% of income. My MPP is that I knew we didn't spend anywhere near the amount they used to make that estimation table, so I took 45 minutes and did it the hard way. (And saved $130 for my troubles!)

That's a good rate per hour. Well done, @aetherie!

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #6011 on: February 22, 2019, 04:45:57 AM »
Yesterday I got a phone call from our bank.  It was their investment sales manager calling to sell their investment advisor services to me.  Reading between the lines, the bank noticed that our cash balance was higher than usual, and decided to try to milk us for their other services.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!  [wipes away tears of laughter]

Second reaction -- it may be time to find a new bank.  I just want to be left alone and not get sales pitches.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6012 on: February 22, 2019, 05:42:22 AM »

Heh, this is like the worst year possible to give that advice, everyone's tax situation is wildly different this year thanks to the TCJA.

@letsdoit FYI my taxes are higher this year too thanks to the law changes. Feel free to try an accountant next year just to see, but don't be too surprised if you get the same result.
Oddly enough, our taxes this year were surprisingly similar to last year's.  The standard deduction, and cap on SALT, elimination of exemptions, increased child tax credit, and tweaked tax brackets all sorta cancelled out in our case.  I can see how childless filers who itemize in high-tax states could get hurt, though.

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6013 on: February 23, 2019, 09:32:15 AM »
We are buying the land our house is built on (currently on lease from the municipality), and since the bill is larger than we can cash flow in one month, we have to pull 4k from the buffer. It will all be back in balance next month, but taking money from any type of savings account annoys me. Savings accounts are for putting money INTO, not taking money out.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #6014 on: February 23, 2019, 09:39:15 AM »
We are buying the land our house is built on (currently on lease from the municipality), and since the bill is larger than we can cash flow in one month, we have to pull 4k from the buffer. It will all be back in balance next month, but taking money from any type of savings account annoys me. Savings accounts are for putting money INTO, not taking money out.
OMG yes!  We took money out of savings in December to put to our Roths, it annoyed me so much even though it was literally moving to another savings spot!

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6015 on: February 23, 2019, 05:07:00 PM »
I got a message from Mint that I hadn't spent any money last week. "Wait, that can't be right".

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6016 on: February 24, 2019, 10:35:06 AM »
Yesterday I got a phone call from our bank.  It was their investment sales manager calling to sell their investment advisor services to me.  Reading between the lines, the bank noticed that our cash balance was higher than usual, and decided to try to milk us for their other services.

Second reaction -- it may be time to find a new bank.  I just want to be left alone and not get sales pitches.
This happened to us a lot at Chase Bank. One person, Flora, was especially persistent. We had a lot of cash on standby in anticipation of future flip project and she just couldn't stand seeing all those zeros. Everybody else at Chase backed off when we firmly asked told them to. Fast forward and we're in the middle of the anticipated flip and our balances have dipped considerably. We're still on track/on budget, but between the down payment, carrying costs, and rehab expenses, we're looking at $250k. Last week, I cleaned out my voicemail and fuckin-A, there was a message from Flora. I couldn't hit "delete" fast enough. BTW, Flora is a salesperson at another branch. She lied to me to get me to make an appointment to come in to "review my accounts". I figured it out before the appointment and complained to her manager. I was told she wouldn't bother us again. She surely wasn't calling for any other reason this tine. She must have a new manager. And yes, Flora is her real name.
MPP indeed!

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #6017 on: February 24, 2019, 12:19:49 PM »

This happened to us a lot at Chase Bank. One person, Flora, was especially persistent. We had a lot of cash on standby in anticipation of future flip project and she just couldn't stand seeing all those zeros. Everybody else at Chase backed off when we firmly asked told them to. Fast forward and we're in the middle of the anticipated flip and our balances have dipped considerably. We're still on track/on budget, but between the down payment, carrying costs, and rehab expenses, we're looking at $250k. Last week, I cleaned out my voicemail and fuckin-A, there was a message from Flora. I couldn't hit "delete" fast enough. BTW, Flora is a salesperson at another branch. She lied to me to get me to make an appointment to come in to "review my accounts". I figured it out before the appointment and complained to her manager. I was told she wouldn't bother us again. She surely wasn't calling for any other reason this tine. She must have a new manager. And yes, Flora is her real name.
MPP indeed!

Tell her manager that you have been drawing down funds because of her behavior.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6018 on: February 24, 2019, 12:55:09 PM »

MPP indeed!

Lol, good one! I'd do it, but I'm lazy. Too much effort. Easier to delete her messages. IIRC, it had to do with eligibility for some kind of elevated customer status, which I don't give a fuck about, but I did at one time. Some banks count the value of mortgages with their bank as a minimum account balance qualifier. We had two with them, but Chase doesn't count them, though Flora said they did to lure me in. We now only have one with them, and I just don't care. Funny how being FIRE makes you not care about shit you cared about in your pre-FIRE days.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6019 on: February 24, 2019, 02:27:48 PM »

MPP indeed!

Lol, good one! I'd do it, but I'm lazy. Too much effort. Easier to delete her messages. IIRC, it had to do with eligibility for some kind of elevated customer status, which I don't give a fuck about, but I did at one time. Some banks count the value of mortgages with their bank as a minimum account balance qualifier. We had two with them, but Chase doesn't count them, though Flora said they did to lure me in. We now only have one with them, and I just don't care. Funny how being FIRE makes you not care about shit you cared about in your pre-FIRE days.

Probably Sapphire Banking, they pay you with 60k UR points, which you can cash out for $600, or if you have a premium Sapphire credit card, higher amounts of travel.

You just have to maintain a $75k balance for 90 days, have to keep the account 6 months.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/chase-sapphire-banking-60000-chase-ultimate-rewards-upgrade-offer-publicly-available/
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 02:29:38 PM by TomTX »

FireLane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6020 on: February 24, 2019, 07:49:37 PM »
The supermarket circular this week was advertising pints of blueberries at two for $5. It seemed like a good deal, so I got two. On the way out, I double-checked my receipt and noticed that I'd been charged $7 each for them.

I went back to customer service, and the woman working there gave me a hard time about it. She said that I must have gotten a brand that wasn't eligible for the deal. I didn't, I got them from the shelf with the sign advertising the 2-for-$5 deal, and there was no other brand of blueberries there.

I actually had to show her a picture of the shelf with the sign on it before she gave in and credited my card. She said several other people had complained about this (?!). Well, then you knew there was a problem, so you should have fixed it before! Were they deliberately overcharging customers and hoping no one noticed?

This is a definite MPP, since an extra $9 is hardly going to wreck my budget. But I pay very close attention to my grocery bill, and even a small overcharge nags at me.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6021 on: February 25, 2019, 01:30:28 AM »

MPP indeed!

Probably Sapphire Banking, they pay you with 60k UR points, which you can cash out for $600, or if you have a premium Sapphire credit card, higher amounts of travel.

You just have to maintain a $75k balance for 90 days, have to keep the account 6 months.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/chase-sapphire-banking-60000-chase-ultimate-rewards-upgrade-offer-publicly-available/
I think that's what we opened for the flip house. I'll check in the morning. Oh, damn, it is morning. Dang insomnia! Later today then. Thanks!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6022 on: February 25, 2019, 01:35:27 AM »
I actually had to show her a picture of the shelf with the sign on it before she gave in and credited my card. She said several other people had complained about this (?!). Well, then you knew there was a problem, so you should have fixed it before! Were they deliberately overcharging customers and hoping no one noticed?

Yes, we think this is often the case.

The other trick they have is putting a big discount sign up, but only having the non prominent goods on discount. The most prominent item is extra expensive and not clearly marked. Sometimes even put on the wrong shelve with the price tag somewhere else. Always watch out in these shops.

TVRodriguez

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6023 on: February 25, 2019, 01:30:17 PM »
The supermarket circular this week was advertising pints of blueberries at two for $5. It seemed like a good deal, so I got two. On the way out, I double-checked my receipt and noticed that I'd been charged $7 each for them.

I went back to customer service, and the woman working there gave me a hard time about it. She said that I must have gotten a brand that wasn't eligible for the deal. I didn't, I got them from the shelf with the sign advertising the 2-for-$5 deal, and there was no other brand of blueberries there.

This is a definite MPP, since an extra $9 is hardly going to wreck my budget. But I pay very close attention to my grocery bill, and even a small overcharge nags at me.

This happened to me recently at CVS with two different items.  It was even less money (50 cents on one item and 30 cents on another), and I only noticed them one at a time, so I ended up going to the register three times.  First time to buy the items, second time to fix the first error after glancing at the receipt and seeing the difference in price, and then after that I checked the receipt again on my way out and, sure enough, there was the other error.  I went to the shelf and took a photo of the item next to the tag and the receipt.  I went back to the register and showed the cashier my photo and my receipt, and she fixed it.  But that was irritating.  Can I afford the 80 cents (plus tax)?  Sure, but wouldn't it be nice if they simply labeled the items properly?

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6024 on: February 25, 2019, 03:20:55 PM »

This happened to me recently at CVS with two different items.  It was even less money (50 cents on one item and 30 cents on another), and I only noticed them one at a time, so I ended up going to the register three times.  First time to buy the items, second time to fix the first error after glancing at the receipt and seeing the difference in price, and then after that I checked the receipt again on my way out and, sure enough, there was the other error.  I went to the shelf and took a photo of the item next to the tag and the receipt.  I went back to the register and showed the cashier my photo and my receipt, and she fixed it.  But that was irritating.  Can I afford the 80 cents (plus tax)?  Sure, but wouldn't it be nice if they simply labeled the items properly?

Well, with thousands of items there are bound to be a few mistakes.  Just because.

And it's possible that cheating on the prices is part of a management conspiracy.   Probably not, but possible.

It's also possible that overworked and underpaid retail staff who are treated like shit by their management and the general public don't give a damn anymore about how good a job they do.   

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6025 on: February 25, 2019, 03:26:54 PM »

Well, with thousands of items there are bound to be a few mistakes.  Just because.

And it's possible that cheating on the prices is part of a management conspiracy.   Probably not, but possible.

It's also possible that overworked and underpaid retail staff who are treated like shit by their management and the general public don't give a damn anymore about how good a job they do.   

Alot of stores in Australia have a rule that if the price on the shelf is lower than the price that it scans at you get the item for free so I doubt they would do it deliberately.

TVRodriguez

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6026 on: February 26, 2019, 09:32:18 AM »

I doubt it's a conspiracy or anything other than an error in the system.  The staff there does their best, and they're never anything but pleasant.  It's still irritating.  Glad I was paying attention, that's all.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6027 on: February 26, 2019, 11:47:28 AM »
In my country we can fill in 2018 tax returns from March 1st. Normally we stay up until midnight and send it in right away, but this year my s/o has to get up at 4.30 am so we won't be able to send it in until dinnertime on March 1st.

We expect quite a lot of money back this year and I just want to know how much exactly.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6028 on: February 28, 2019, 06:53:03 AM »
Yesterday I bought something in the cafeteria at work. As I never buy anything there normally, only once or twice a year, I always forget how the self service checkout display works. I need to ask for help each time. It is unfortunately not as simple as the self-service checkout in shops.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6029 on: February 28, 2019, 08:51:28 AM »
Yesterday I bought something in the cafeteria at work. As I never buy anything there normally, only once or twice a year, I always forget how the self service checkout display works. I need to ask for help each time. It is unfortunately not as simple as the self-service checkout in shops.

This happens to me in fast food restaurants! I go so rarely. People in line ahead of me seem to have the menu memorized, but I need to read it.  And where do I wait for my order!? Do I sit at the table, do I wait by the counter, and if so, which part of the counter?  It varies by the shop.

letsdoit

• Bristles
« Reply #6030 on: February 28, 2019, 09:53:50 AM »
i ducked into a bar to watch a soccer game for 15 minutes and saw a funny commercial and i bust out laughing. 
everyone turned around like i was an alien, i think theyd all seen the commercial 100 times

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6031 on: March 01, 2019, 04:46:36 AM »
I recently had my performance review.  I'm in law enforcement and can retire at 47 with all my benefits.  I recently been tracking into crimes involving computers and have another training course on it at the end of the month.  It was all I could do not to laugh in my boss's face when he was going on about how my computer crime knowledge could translate into a second corporate career after I retire.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6032 on: March 02, 2019, 12:28:00 PM »
I recently had my performance review.  I'm in law enforcement and can retire at 47 with all my benefits.  I recently been tracking into crimes involving computers and have another training course on it at the end of the month.  It was all I could do not to laugh in my boss's face when he was going on about how my computer crime knowledge could translate into a second corporate career after I retire.

Well, he's correct. Those skills are not universal. and who knows, you may want a part time gig.

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6033 on: March 02, 2019, 04:42:50 PM »
I'm envious. I just turned 47 and I am *not* retiring any time soon. I have to wait until 65 if I want all my benefits. Sigh.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6034 on: March 03, 2019, 08:41:49 AM »
I'm envious. I just turned 47 and I am *not* retiring any time soon. I have to wait until 65 if I want all my benefits. Sigh.

MMkay. How much do you really lose if you stop working?

Tempname23

• Stubble
« Reply #6035 on: March 03, 2019, 12:40:05 PM »
Barber posted a notice saying they are going to "modestly increase their prices."  A regular haircut went up in price by 25%!  Time to learn how to cut my own hair!  :P
My wife has been cutting my hair for (at least) 24 years, she does a good job, if I say so myself! :-)
 I have trimmed her hair, but I'm not so good :-(

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #6036 on: March 03, 2019, 01:04:19 PM »
I just finished our taxes. DH still has to review, but we can only contribute a couple of hundred dollars each to our Roth IRAs. I thought we were flirting with the bottom end of the phase out, but it turns out we were aggressively pursuing the top end.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6037 on: March 04, 2019, 01:07:37 AM »
My wife has been cutting my hair for (at least) 24 years, she does a good job, if I say so myself! :-)
 I have trimmed her hair, but I'm not so good :-(

Are you my husband?

My DH has watched hair cutting videos and concludes that a female haircut does not look so difficult. But last time it was really not equally long on both sides. So my message is, compare the side length really often. Hairdressers often take hair from both sides of the head upward and compare the length of that. And then cut if to finish the layers.

RelaxedGal

• Bristles
« Reply #6038 on: March 04, 2019, 10:19:05 AM »
My kid is getting braces.  My MPP?  If I'd known in November I could have set up a dental FSA in addition to our HSA.  At that time the orthodontist said "come back in 3 months, wait and see, it will probably get better with this easy home remedy".  It's now 3 months later, growing in teeth did NOT cooperate, and I didn't open a dental FSA.

I mean, I still have the HSA, but I could have tax sheltered even MORE this year! :-P

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #6039 on: March 05, 2019, 04:14:38 PM »
I just finished our taxes. DH still has to review, but we can only contribute a couple of hundred dollars each to our Roth IRAs. I thought we were flirting with the bottom end of the phase out, but it turns out we were aggressively pursuing the top end.

I decided to invest the money that had been set aside for my Roth IRA by buying Vanguard SP500 ETF in my Motif account. It has been a while since I had anything to add to taxable. This is the first time that I have done anything other than buy a few motifs and set up dividend reinvesting when it was introduced. I can only buy the shares in predetermined increments. When I told it to invest $5k, it told me "you have insufficient funds," so I put in less. Same answer. So it tried shares, rounding down to a whole number. Same answer. I finally noticed that the numbers popping up were a menu, rather than autocomplete. I can buy 1, 5, 10, or 15 shares. So I have to round down to an available option, then process another trade for 1 share and another and.... I am buying next day open, so these are commission free, but a PITA, nonetheless. This cannot be normal.

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6040 on: March 05, 2019, 05:10:07 PM »
I got a call today from someone who is retiring and who thinks I should interview for his open position, and is actively advocating for me with his boss. After reading the job description, I wouldn't have gone for it on my own because I don't think I meet all the qualifications. But as a friend helpfully pointed out, if the person who is currently doing the job and knows me thinks I can do it, it's probably just impostor syndrome saying I'm not qualified.

The problem is, there's no obvious reason why I wouldn't go for it, except that it's a job that'd be a lot harder to cut down to part-time if I wanted to semi-FIRE than my current one. But what 30-something is thinking semi-retirement?

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6041 on: March 06, 2019, 01:49:00 AM »
I got a call today from someone who is retiring and who thinks I should interview for his open position, and is actively advocating for me with his boss. After reading the job description, I wouldn't have gone for it on my own because I don't think I meet all the qualifications. But as a friend helpfully pointed out, if the person who is currently doing the job and knows me thinks I can do it, it's probably just impostor syndrome saying I'm not qualified.

The problem is, there's no obvious reason why I wouldn't go for it, except that it's a job that'd be a lot harder to cut down to part-time if I wanted to semi-FIRE than my current one. But what 30-something is thinking semi-retirement?

By the time you want to semi-retire you can always go back to that other job. Or so some part time consulting business by yourself.

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6042 on: March 06, 2019, 06:44:56 AM »
I really enjoy doing our budget and taxes, etc.  I've mentioned this in other threads, but I love having things planned out, so thanks to mdm's CashFlow spreadsheet I know how much we owe for taxes this year even with my husband's side job income.  We've been putting aside ~25% of that income to cover our eventual tax bill, and made sure to increase the amount being taken out of our paychecks for taxes to give us some leeway.  Cool.  I've had everything ready to submit since like Feb 16th when Vanguard released their tax documents.

HOWEVER, (this is yet another MPP), DH and his sister receive quarterly income from a trust (which will be disbursed completely when SIL turns 30), which needs a 1099B and maybe another tax form that I can never remember.  They don't send that nonsense out until like effing APRIL.  So I'm sitting here, with my taxes thisclose to being finished, knowing almost exactly how much of that set-aside income we get to keep, but unable to split it between short term savings and Vanguard because I'm not absolutely 100% sure how much money we'll owe. 

Also, I'm having a baby sometime in the next 3 weeks, it'd be great to have this finished before then.  Not a chance.

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6043 on: March 06, 2019, 04:30:16 PM »
Went to Bed Bath and Beyond yesterday with a gift card, intent on spending it and getting it out of my wallet.  Couldn't find anything I wanted.  Still have a gift card.  Will probably end up selling it.

The Fake Cheap

• Bristles
« Reply #6044 on: March 06, 2019, 05:47:35 PM »
My work recently started a work from home program.  You can only work 2 days per week from home.  Most people are saving a lot of money by doing this, sadly I am not.  I've minimized my expenses by going to work, by working from home, my expenses can only go up!  For example, many people are saving big bucks by not driving their clown trucks and SUVs 30-45 minutes into work, that's roughly a $10 saving for them, for me, I do save gas on my reasonable small sedan, but maybe like $4.  They get to enjoy actually using the heat they left on all day at 20 while they were at work.  I tired working with no extra heat (turn down to 18 normally in the house (we have a minisplit) and was always off in my office) but the best I could do was turn in on for an hour then off for an hour, etc, so my power bill will only go up!  They get to save money by not eating out at lunch time, me, I bring my lunch most days anyway, no new savings.  They can now make coffee at home, no more buying coffees on the way to work, me, I only buy 1 coffee a week, so I'm not saving there.  At least I'm enjoying the working from home part!

rantk81

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6045 on: March 06, 2019, 06:26:35 PM »
You forgot an obvious one....  now you are also paying for the toilet paper when you use the restroom!

pdxmonkey

• Bristles
« Reply #6046 on: March 06, 2019, 06:33:15 PM »
My work recently started a work from home program.  You can only work 2 days per week from home.  Most people are saving a lot of money by doing this, sadly I am not.  I've minimized my expenses by going to work, by working from home, my expenses can only go up!  For example, many people are saving big bucks by not driving their clown trucks and SUVs 30-45 minutes into work, that's roughly a $10 saving for them, for me, I do save gas on my reasonable small sedan, but maybe like $4.  They get to enjoy actually using the heat they left on all day at 20 while they were at work.  I tired working with no extra heat (turn down to 18 normally in the house (we have a minisplit) and was always off in my office) but the best I could do was turn in on for an hour then off for an hour, etc, so my power bill will only go up!  They get to save money by not eating out at lunch time, me, I bring my lunch most days anyway, no new savings.  They can now make coffee at home, no more buying coffees on the way to work, me, I only buy 1 coffee a week, so I'm not saving there.  At least I'm enjoying the working from home part!
$4 is $4. And also since working from home my business to clothes last much longer and I've worn out several of my endless supply of shirts never to be worn past the mailbox freeing up some drawer space.

Alfred J Quack

• Bristles
« Reply #6047 on: March 07, 2019, 12:01:27 AM »
Have you tried a fleece bodywarmer, possibly with the addition of thin fingerless gloves? Kepte warm on the colder evenings in my appartmnt5 at 15C.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6048 on: March 07, 2019, 12:44:03 AM »
Have you tried a fleece bodywarmer, possibly with the addition of thin fingerless gloves? Kepte warm on the colder evenings in my appartmnt5 at 15C.

A woolen hat on your head also helps keeping your whole body warmer. At home, you could wear that, at least if you don't have to appear in web meetings with camera.

FIRE@50

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6049 on: March 07, 2019, 07:45:10 AM »
Went to Bed Bath and Beyond yesterday with a gift card, intent on spending it and getting it out of my wallet.  Couldn't find anything I wanted.  Still have a gift card.  Will probably end up selling it.
I've done this many times. I once had a TJ Maxx gift card for months. Every time I went there even the clearance socks and underwear seemed too overpriced to buy even with someone else's money.