Author Topic: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)  (Read 5086780 times)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
Re: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)
« Reply #5950 on: February 02, 2019, 11:19:04 PM »
MPP: I owe 2200 in taxes and I was expecting a return.
My Mustachian problem: knowing the difference between a tax return and refund and having to hold myself back from correcting others who use it wrong. I think I failed...

Just hold yourself back long enough for some other schmuck to point it out for you

rantk81

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5951 on: February 03, 2019, 06:31:51 AM »
My MPP Tax problem: I've done everything I can possibly do so far in TurboTax for the 2018 filing (including extremely complicated things like dealing with rentals, the sale of rentals, backdoor Roth conversions, and more.)  And even though I'm expecting a very large refund, I cannot file yet, because I am still waiting for a couple of 1099-B forms to roll in from two brokers.

Fish Sweet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5952 on: February 03, 2019, 11:33:28 AM »
Starting off the new year trying to decide if I want to empty my savings account into my Roth IRA or churn a couple of bank accounts before maxing out the Roth.  I didn't keep enough cash on hand to do both (only anticipated the Roth before I started reading about bank account churning here on MMM, thanks guys!) so feeling kind of conflicted at the moment.

Also planning on making some big IKEA furniture purchases in the near future, so I'll probably spring for a credit card and then cancel as soon as buying time is over.   I don't have enough room in my wallet for another card.

If you intend to do CC churning longer term, just keeping the card (and downgrading at annual fee time if there is one) is typically more beneficial.

I've only recently started doing CC churning, but I find it a little discomforting to have a whole bunch of different credit cards and credit lines open, to be honest.  I'd rather keep 3-4 max and cycle in and out of another 2-3.  That said, I'm still relatively new to churning-- does that make sense?

Average age of accounts is a fair sized factor in whether you are granted more cards, particularly premium cards and cards from certain issuers (they all have their own quirks) - I would rather just keep the card open and let it age.

It can also look bad to issuers if they see that you are opening cards and then immediately closing them after getting the bonus.

On this note, make a plan before you just start applying for anything and everything.  For example, Chase will turn you down if you've opened 5 or more cards in the last two years.  So, if you want any of the UR family of cards do that first.

Good to know.  Thank you to you and @TomTX !

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5953 on: February 03, 2019, 04:28:12 PM »
My MPP: real life.

I wanted to redo the downstairs bathroom this year. I budget house stuff as "specific projects" and "pool for the unexpected stuff that breaks". Well, I just had record setting cold weather, and broke a pipe in the utility room. Damage was minimal, but really this means that I can't put off fixing the lack of insulation and other issues in the room. So the bathroom is off the project list, to be replaced with the utility room, and I'm sad. But also too stubborn to modify the budget.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #5954 on: February 03, 2019, 05:15:04 PM »
Sibley, totally understand!

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5955 on: February 03, 2019, 08:38:14 PM »
Imma haveta pay $26 of penalty for underpayment of estimated tax this year. I try hard to keep that at zero, but the whole tax world changed and so did husband's employment and I had to get my withholding to account for the fact that his income was not wages and had nothing withheld. Close enough.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #5956 on: February 03, 2019, 08:46:43 PM »
Imma haveta pay $26 of penalty for underpayment of estimated tax this year. I try hard to keep that at zero, but the whole tax world changed and so did husband's employment and I had to get my withholding to account for the fact that his income was not wages and had nothing withheld. Close enough.

Don't forget you don't have to pay it immediately.  Let the IRS send you a notice.  They might not!

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5957 on: February 03, 2019, 08:48:51 PM »

Don't forget you don't have to pay it immediately.  Let the IRS send you a notice.  They might not!

Hmmm. Good point.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #5958 on: February 03, 2019, 11:52:40 PM »

Hmmm. Good point.

I wonder if this causes increase in audit risk, though.  Either way, I keep reading the IRS is way understaffed and not doing much in the way of audits.  (Not that I'm encouraging any kind of lying/fraud)

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5959 on: February 04, 2019, 04:37:48 PM »
Oh, I plan to admit to owing it; it's just there's a box you can check to ask them to calculate it. They're so overwhelmed they might just not.

Or, for $26, maybe I'll just pay up and avoid any risk at all.

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5960 on: February 07, 2019, 05:37:02 AM »
More a MPP solution than a problem.  I have basic cable plus the internet.  The line into my neighborhood got damaged in an ice storm and haven't had it for a day.  People in the hood are complaining about not getting being able to watch TV and can't even see the local news, I broke out my Digital antenna and problem solved.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5961 on: February 07, 2019, 07:05:07 AM »
During the lunch break at work, my co-workers were talking about funny TV commercials. Everyone except me and 1 other co-worker knew about these commercials, while we two fell out of the conversation because we had no idea what they were talking about. I asked the other silent co-worker if he didn't have cable TV either. He said he didn't have a TV at all, but he has Netflix. I only receive the state channel (via antenna) and that channel doesn't have commercials.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5962 on: February 07, 2019, 07:16:19 AM »
Oh, I plan to admit to owing it; it's just there's a box you can check to ask them to calculate it. They're so overwhelmed they might just not.

If I'm not mistaken, the IRS is waiving a lot of underpayment penalties, due to the tax law change.

You might look into it, but if it's too much hassle, it's only $26 (please don't rain mustachian fire upon me).

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5963 on: February 07, 2019, 02:24:37 PM »

If I'm not mistaken, the IRS is waiving a lot of underpayment penalties, due to the tax law change.

You might look into it, but if it's too much hassle, it's only $26 (please don't rain mustachian fire upon me).

You have to have paid at least 85% of the tax owed for them to waive it this year. Most years it's 90%. We didn't pay anywhere near 85%. :-)

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5964 on: February 07, 2019, 09:37:53 PM »
I was walking past a ritzy shopping center in midtown Manhattan today and some guy on the sidewalk stopped me to try and get me to go to their expensive hair salon (I think handing out coupons or something). I really didn't know where to start explaining that I cut my own hair...

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5965 on: February 08, 2019, 04:08:45 AM »
I have a friend visiting who asked me if I could recommend him a mall to go to. I told him there's no malls in my city and he could just roam around the shops at the city center. Turns out, there is a mall in my city. How should I have known?!

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #5966 on: February 08, 2019, 05:24:05 AM »
Lately I have been playing around doing side gigs, low hour jobs (have done 1 so far lasted 2 weeks) things I think would be fun . So i fill out alot of applications and get asked to do alot of interviews that I just cant get myself to go to most of them and cancel! I like being Fire'd to much and dont feel like answering a bunch of dumb questions.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5967 on: February 08, 2019, 05:27:08 AM »
I was walking past a ritzy shopping center in midtown Manhattan today and some guy on the sidewalk stopped me to try and get me to go to their expensive hair salon (I think handing out coupons or something). I really didn't know where to start explaining that I cut my own hair...

I would run from any shop that hires people to persuade me to come inside. Same for restaurants.

Once we were on vacation on a touristy Canary Island. We tried to find a place to have dinner where they didn't have a persuader outside. On the boulevard we were told by the persuaders that we would stay hungry with such an attitude. How true that was. After a new evenings of reluctantly having it eat in such a place, we found a good restaurant in the next (tiny) village without persuaders. We ate there the rest of the week.

Cool Friend

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5968 on: February 08, 2019, 06:51:24 AM »
Barber posted a notice saying they are going to "modestly increase their prices."  A regular haircut went up in price by 25%!  Time to learn how to cut my own hair!  :P

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5969 on: February 08, 2019, 07:52:32 AM »
I have a friend visiting who asked me if I could recommend him a mall to go to. I told him there's no malls in my city and he could just roam around the shops at the city center. Turns out, there is a mall in my city. How should I have known?!

I struggled with similar lately! A friend wanted to visit and go to lunch. She asked- what's good around here? I have no idea, I've only been to 2 restaurants here since moving in November!

RunningWithScissors

• Stubble
« Reply #5970 on: February 08, 2019, 02:48:00 PM »
Just ran into my first MPP after FIREing in December 2018.  Because I left my government job, I had to give up my health/dental care plan so I signed up for another one through another provider to retain coverage.  Once my retirement paperwork was processed, I was informed that I could sign up for a fantastic plan associated with another large public entity - it cost more but offers incredible coverage and all sorts of bells and whistles.  However, when I tried to apply for Fantastic Plan, the online form wouldn't accept my age as it was less than 55 years.  A phone call later to head office, and I'm informed that I'm ineligible because I'm too young. Harrumph!

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5971 on: February 09, 2019, 02:21:10 AM »

I struggled with similar lately! A friend wanted to visit and go to lunch. She asked- what's good around here? I have no idea, I've only been to 2 restaurants here since moving in November!

Oh yeah that's my forever problem too! I've lived in my current city for a little over a year now and only now I feel like I know a couple good spots for lunch/dinner/drinks. When I had some friends visiting half a year ago I was more like "well uhm I don't know where to go for drinks because I've been to like 2 bars".

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5972 on: February 09, 2019, 06:53:24 PM »
Oh damn it. I realized that I over contributed to my HSA last year. By $65. It's all MMM's fault - I wanted to max out my HSA, but got the math wrong when I changed jobs.

I hate paperwork. (I found the form and it's done, but I didn't want to spend that time on it)

BookLoverL

• Bristles
« Reply #5973 on: February 10, 2019, 01:41:39 AM »
I've been decluttering the house, and yesterday, I was emptying out the purse I took on a camping holiday in August last year, and I found there was £85 in cash inside it left over from the holiday. I'd completely forgotten about it and hadn't missed it at all. So, nice bonus I guess?

Then, later, I was emptying out a small handbag that I only use when I go to fancy parties, which is usually twice a year tops. Inside a zip-up compartment, I found two old-style £5 notes. These haven't been allowed to be used in shops since 5 May 2017. Now I'll have to make a special trip to the nearest physical branch of my bank to exchange them for the new style...

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5974 on: February 10, 2019, 06:14:23 AM »
Lately I have been playing around doing side gigs, low hour jobs (have done 1 so far lasted 2 weeks) things I think would be fun . So i fill out alot of applications and get asked to do alot of interviews that I just cant get myself to go to most of them and cancel! I like being Fire'd to much and dont feel like answering a bunch of dumb questions.
I know what you mean!

I had to fill out a job application for the local community college to teach my art classes there.   Jeesh!   Just filling out the forms and finding suitable references was like -- a real job.   I almost quit before I finished the process because it was boring me.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5975 on: February 10, 2019, 07:06:15 AM »

You have to have paid at least 85% of the tax owed for them to waive it this year. Most years it's 90%. We didn't pay anywhere near 85%. :-)

Well that's an interesting tidbit! I didn't pay my last quarterly payment, partly procrastination, partly because we didn't have any income after Oct 10th. (hurricane Michael totaled our business)
 I'm hoping with the decreased income and the new 20% pass through deduction, I'll be alright, that extra 5% could make the difference.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5976 on: February 12, 2019, 05:19:15 AM »
MPP, being sympathetic with a co-worker as she described how she was not all that impressed by Norwegian Cruise Lines since they didn't offer shrimp cocktail or crab legs.  Seeing as I don't eat meat and have never been interested in "all inclusive" vacations I just couldn't relate to her complaints.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5977 on: February 12, 2019, 05:25:56 AM »
MPP, being sympathetic with a co-worker as she described how she was not all that impressed by Norwegian Cruise Lines since they didn't offer shrimp cocktail or crab legs.  Seeing as I don't eat meat and have never been interested in "all inclusive" vacations I just couldn't relate to her complaints.

It depends on exactly what the "All-Inclusive" includes.  My favorite vacation spot in the entire world is an "all-inclusive" dive resort and the inclusive part includes 20 dives a week.  But I find that cruises tend to be the McDonald's of vacations. 

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5978 on: February 12, 2019, 05:36:22 AM »

It depends on exactly what the "All-Inclusive" includes.  My favorite vacation spot in the entire world is an "all-inclusive" dive resort and the inclusive part includes 20 dives a week.  But I find that cruises tend to be the McDonald's of vacations.

The one's where they focus on eating and drinking.  I'm semi interested in ones that have activities that meet my interests.  Also where is this resort, I have a friend who might be interested if she's never heard of the place.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5979 on: February 12, 2019, 06:17:02 AM »

The one's where they focus on eating and drinking.  I'm semi interested in ones that have activities that meet my interests.  Also where is this resort, I have a friend who might be interested if she's never heard of the place.

It's called Anthony's Key Resort.  It's on Roatan.  They have a fabulous kid's program in the summer.  This was the reason we chose them.

I hear great things about the Brac Beach Resort too, but have never been.  They include a couple of drinks/cocktails a day in their all-inclusive package. 

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5980 on: February 12, 2019, 07:48:57 AM »

My wife went on a cruise at 18 and loved it. She has been wanting us to go on one for several years now. Is it really that bad if all you're interested in is relaxing and eating? Our usual trip is laying on a beach for a week with minimal activity, and that works for me.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5981 on: February 12, 2019, 08:31:22 AM »

I always interpret "all inclusive" as free booze, and therefore: Scandinavians drinking way too much. And I don't expect the food to be good either. The one time we went to spent a week in a real hotel on a Canary Island, I chose one of the few hotels that didn't have an "all inclusive" option, to avoid excessive drinking by other guests.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5982 on: February 12, 2019, 12:38:36 PM »

My wife went on a cruise at 18 and loved it. She has been wanting us to go on one for several years now. Is it really that bad if all you're interested in is relaxing and eating? Our usual trip is laying on a beach for a week with minimal activity, and that works for me.

Don't get me wrong.  A lot of people love them.  My parents go on one every year or so.  I liked the first one I went on as a teenager.  Speaking for Carnival, over the years, the food has gotten worse and the lines have gotten longer.  The drinks are overpriced at best (get the drink package if you plan on drinking more than 3-4 a day).  Sea days are monotonous and port days are a cannonball run.  I think that is my biggest issue.  I want to go on vacation to see a place.  I don't want to be doing the Amazing Race because I only have 8 hours to take it all in.  And the areas around the port are all the same 15 shops that are at every other port.  So you don't really get a chance to really see the areas that you are stopping in.  And as a diver, I have major concerns about what the ports and ships are doing to the reefs.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5983 on: February 12, 2019, 01:19:42 PM »

I enjoyed the one I took for my honeymoon very much. Perhaps I went and had a drink in the lobby watching a British guy play the guitar while my new husband took a nap. We watched Solo in beach chairs. There was a bawdy piano bar. I read books on deck chairs with tropical drinks. I enjoyed it immensely. I did not get the unlimited drinks package because it was the equivalent of like 5 drinks a day and I generally only had 3-4.

K-ice

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5984 on: February 12, 2019, 03:51:23 PM »
I've never been to an all inclusive but I am a bit tempted.

However, I drink about one drink a month so if I could opt out of the alcohol package I would.

Also, the stories I've heard about some people spending all day at the swim up bar and drinking non-stop & never getting our of the water for a break gross me out.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5985 on: February 12, 2019, 05:05:10 PM »
My parents used to take us to all-inclusive resorts. We quickly figured out that the bars make non-alcoholic fancy drinks. A virgin strawberry daiquiri is a strawberry slushie, and virgin pina coladas are also delicious. Slushies usually cost $3-4 per drink, so we felt like we were still getting a good deal.

CindyBS

• Bristles
« Reply #5986 on: February 12, 2019, 05:45:24 PM »
I shudder at the thought of a cruise - it seems too much like a floating prison with a bunch of strangers and no freedom to set your schedule in port.  Boat leaves at XX time and you are on it or not.

However, the one area I think cruises really work well is for people with disabilities.  My parents take a lot of cruises for this reason - 1 parent is disabled, 1 is not.  The ships are accessible, no narrow walkways, inaccessible museums, lots of walking, cobblestone streets, inaccessible public transit, hotels with no elevators, etc, etc.  There is always stuff to do on the ship.  My able-bodied parent goes on the excursions to do stuff like horseback riding and kayaking the other one can't confident that the other parent is being left behind somewhere there are things to do and people to hang out with.  It seems like the excursion trips available are very descriptive about the ability level required to do the excurion.  No showing up at a sight only to find out there is 100 steps involved, etc.

My one exception to the no-cruise rule for myself is that I would love to go on a cruise where I can look out and watch glaciers calving.  That can only be done on a boat. 

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5987 on: February 12, 2019, 07:00:38 PM »
I think the issue I have with most cruises and all inclusive resorts is that they are so large.  I prefer to be are less people, so hotels with 50 rooms or less are more my style.

fell-like-rain

• Stubble
« Reply #5988 on: February 15, 2019, 09:52:41 AM »
Logged in to my 401(k) provider today and got a notification recommending that I increase my contributions. Presumably they send this to everyone, and there wasn't any check in place to see if people actually were on track or not. So the message I got went something like (paraphrased): "You are currently only contributing $791 per paycheck. At this rate, you are on track to earn just 127% of your current annual income after retirement. Call now to increase your contribution and secure your retirement today."

I wanted to send them an email saying, "You know, I wish I could contribute more, but the IRS might take issue with that..."

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #5989 on: February 15, 2019, 11:24:40 AM »
Logged in to my 401(k) provider today and got a notification recommending that I increase my contributions. Presumably they send this to everyone, and there wasn't any check in place to see if people actually were on track or not. So the message I got went something like (paraphrased): "You are currently only contributing $791 per paycheck. At this rate, you are on track to earn just 127% of your current annual income after retirement. Call now to increase your contribution and secure your retirement today."

I wanted to send them an email saying, "You know, I wish I could contribute more, but the IRS might take issue with that..."

"Just 127%"

Our MPP: We got an ESPP program refund. This happens whenever the shares go down during the offering period due to the formula for determining the max number of shares an individual can purchase. And yet, we always forget about it until trying to figure out why a paycheck is bigger than expected. It's like a tax refund. Yay! chunk of money. Boo, we didn't get 15% on this particular chunk because of that rule. Plus, we will have to pay a fee to invest it in either of our current brokerage accounts.

PhilB

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5990 on: February 16, 2019, 10:54:41 AM »
I shudder at the thought of a cruise - it seems too much like a floating prison with a bunch of strangers and no freedom to set your schedule in port.  Boat leaves at XX time and you are on it or not.

However, the one area I think cruises really work well is for people with disabilities.  My parents take a lot of cruises for this reason - 1 parent is disabled, 1 is not.  The ships are accessible, no narrow walkways, inaccessible museums, lots of walking, cobblestone streets, inaccessible public transit, hotels with no elevators, etc, etc.  There is always stuff to do on the ship.  My able-bodied parent goes on the excursions to do stuff like horseback riding and kayaking the other one can't confident that the other parent is being left behind somewhere there are things to do and people to hang out with.  It seems like the excursion trips available are very descriptive about the ability level required to do the excurion.  No showing up at a sight only to find out there is 100 steps involved, etc.

My one exception to the no-cruise rule for myself is that I would love to go on a cruise where I can look out and watch glaciers calving.  That can only be done on a boat.
I've watched glaciers calving from on land.  Admittedly I did take a 'cruise' to get there - if you can count the 4 day boat trip from Puerto Montt to Punta Arenas* as a cruise - bring your own booze and get your sleeping bag down where you can!  Not sure I'd still be up for that 30 years on though :(
ETA: I just checked it out and the boat has cabins now!
*Normally to Puerto Natales but that port was closed when I did it so had to take the longer route to PA.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 10:59:50 AM by PhilB »

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5991 on: February 19, 2019, 06:33:39 AM »
My MPP:  Apparently, I'm getting a raise, retroactive to 1 January (federal employee).  I changed my TSP contribution last week to try to catch the paycheck with the backpay.  While all my co-workers are hoping to see the COLA become effective on the first paycheck in March, I'm hoping more for the third week of March.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5992 on: February 19, 2019, 07:07:20 AM »
The best cruises are the ones where it's the most efficient mode of travel. I visited New Zealand on a cruise ship and we were in a different city every day. Each port has a local site where you can choose tours on the spot, avoiding the cruise ship mark up. In Dunedin, we joined two others on a delightful tour of the city run by a local lady with a minivan. She was a hoot and we felt like we'd made a new friend. We then toured Australia, which included several flights and hotel changes. Compared to the ship, getting around was a total pain in the ass.

SunshineAZ

• Stubble
« Reply #5993 on: February 19, 2019, 08:59:18 AM »

It's called Anthony's Key Resort.  It's on Roatan.  They have a fabulous kid's program in the summer.  This was the reason we chose them.

I hear great things about the Brac Beach Resort too, but have never been.  They include a couple of drinks/cocktails a day in their all-inclusive package.

We go to Anthony's Key Resort in Sept/Oct every year and have been going since 2002.  We own a house 1/2 mil down the beach and will hopefully be moving there later this year.  We love it there. 

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5994 on: February 19, 2019, 09:06:48 AM »

We go to Anthony's Key Resort in Sept/Oct every year and have been going since 2002.  We own a house 1/2 mil down the beach and will hopefully be moving there later this year.  We love it there.

Our plan right now is to retire down there, though I think I'd prefer to live more West Bay than Sandy Bay.  I legit dream about the baleadas at Elizabeth's and the conch cerviche at Calelu's.  My biggest fear is that the traffic from the cruise ships is going to ruin the island and reef or turn Roatan into Ambergris Cay and price us out of the market before we can retire. 
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 09:09:51 AM by Sugaree »

SunshineAZ

• Stubble
« Reply #5995 on: February 19, 2019, 09:18:20 AM »

Our plan right now is to retire down there, though I think I'd prefer to live more West Bay than Sandy Bay.  I legit dream about the baleadas at Elizabeth's and the conch cerviche at Calelu's.  My biggest fear is that the traffic from the cruise ships is going to ruin the island and reef or turn Roatan into Ambergis Cay and price us out of the market before we can retire.

We bought our property in 2003 and built our house in 2005, it is all paid for and has been rented out since then.  We looked in West Bay, but the prices were much higher and for houses that were not all that close to the water.  Also the housing options were much more limited back then.  We also didn't want to be in an expat "community" with potentially ridiculous HOA fees.  I will say that lack of available financing has kept the housing values relatively stable, and if you have cash, you will be in a good position for buying and negotiating.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5996 on: February 19, 2019, 09:37:11 AM »

Our plan right now is to retire down there, though I think I'd prefer to live more West Bay than Sandy Bay.  I legit dream about the baleadas at Elizabeth's and the conch cerviche at Calelu's.  My biggest fear is that the traffic from the cruise ships is going to ruin the island and reef or turn Roatan into Ambergis Cay and price us out of the market before we can retire.

We bought our property in 2003 and built our house in 2005, it is all paid for and has been rented out since then.  We looked in West Bay, but the prices were much higher and for houses that were not all that close to the water.  Also the housing options were much more limited back then.  We also didn't want to be in an expat "community" with potentially ridiculous HOA fees.  I will say that lack of available financing has kept the housing values relatively stable, and if you have cash, you will be in a good position for buying and negotiating.

If we buy, it will be a cash purchase and I won't ever live anywhere with an HOA, retirement community or otherwise.  My husband isn't sold on actually buying property unless the political situation on the mainland stabilizes a bit.  He's afraid that we'll wake up one day and no longer own our property.  But he really likes Coxen Hole (he made friends there).  If we were doing it today, I'd say that we'd definitely rent for the first 6-12 months until we knew where we wanted to settle in.

bluebelle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5997 on: February 20, 2019, 01:02:14 PM »
I have a very happy MPP.....I contribute to my company RRSP (like a 401k) at the rate that gets me the maximum company match.  For the remainder of my RRSP contribution room, I have a non-group RRSP (gives me more investment options).....here's my 'problem'; I got a decent raise last summer, and I got an out of cycle raise towards the end of the year.....I didn't recalculate the appropriate rate for my fixed monthly personal RRSP.....still waiting for my T4, but back of the napkin calculation? I over contributed by approximately $1,100 to RRSPs for the 2018 taxation year.  No biggie, I can carry over that much for 2019.....
'Bigger' MPP - our bonus this year is going to be bigger than I expected (waiting to see just how much bigger).  The bonus is eligible for group RRSP, so that means my contribution will be even bigger in 2019.....I'm going to have to drop my fixed monthly personal RRSP down by a few hundred dollars per month or I'll be way over the contribution limit...

I have such a hard life......  :-)

« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 02:23:22 PM by bluebelle »

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5998 on: February 20, 2019, 03:17:27 PM »
@Sugaree @SunshineAZ do you both feel comfortable on Roatan now that Mainland Honduras is so messed up?  I visited in 2004 and loved it. Bluest water I'd ever seen and some amazing seafood. I always dreamed of going back. I'm hesitant to visit again though until politics are more settled. Is there a big expat community there?

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5999 on: February 20, 2019, 04:48:59 PM »
All of the bills are paid for the month. All credit cards are paid in full. All necessary money has been set aside for our next 6-month auto insurance policy, estimated taxes, and our home maintenance fund (i.e., roof replacement in cash!). HSA and 401K have been taken out of husband's paychecks. I'm about to drop the monthly max payment into my IRA and will still have money left in checking. Husband and I each have another paycheck coming in before month's end.

I feel like I've missed something but I really haven't. I've checked about six times. It's an odd (for us; we were non-mortgage debt to the tune of $10K+ a year ago) but really nice problem to have. Husband says he doesn't feel deprived at all. I won't either as soon as the weather clears up and I can hike outside again.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!