Author Topic: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)  (Read 5086618 times)

Imma

• Magnum Stache
Re: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)
« Reply #5650 on: October 31, 2018, 10:50:04 AM »
My glasses broke 3 months before the purchase of new glasses was planned and now I probably won't reach my super ambitious savings goal for this year :( If the market goes down any more than this I will barely even make my mildly ambitious savings goal. (Of course I did meet the goal I set on Jan 1st, based on last year's savings, by the summer)

seanc0x0

• Bristles
« Reply #5651 on: October 31, 2018, 11:27:57 AM »
One of my good friends is from a family that is basically pure gold. The mom just adopts everyone who might need adopting. I am one of those she's adopted. Problem is, they insist on getting me gifts for birthday and Christmas. Except, that things I would actually want (gift cards to home improvement stores, donated labor, etc) are not considered to be acceptable gifts. So I have no idea what to tell my friend, who has been delegated to find out. (She knows what I actually want, and told me that her mom would nix it. She gets it.)

So, what do I want for Christmas? I have no idea.

I always suggest consumable treats in such circumstances. Depending on price range, a fancy bottle of rum, fancy cheese, wine, etc. Something I don't have to keep around too long and will enjoy savouring but that I probably wouldn't get for myself.

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #5652 on: October 31, 2018, 03:05:56 PM »
getting my scholarship slashed bc I had too many assets (they were investments I scrimped and saved for while making $7/hr)

Boo hisss.  I understand needs based, but hampering responsible is silly.

LV

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5653 on: October 31, 2018, 03:31:50 PM »
getting my scholarship slashed bc I had too many assets (they were investments I scrimped and saved for while making $7/hr)
Here, they would call that a bursary or a grant, not a scholarship.

Scholarships here are solely based on merit (volunteer or academic) and not based on how much "need" you are assessed.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5654 on: October 31, 2018, 07:05:41 PM »
One of my good friends is from a family that is basically pure gold. The mom just adopts everyone who might need adopting. I am one of those she's adopted. Problem is, they insist on getting me gifts for birthday and Christmas. Except, that things I would actually want (gift cards to home improvement stores, donated labor, etc) are not considered to be acceptable gifts. So I have no idea what to tell my friend, who has been delegated to find out. (She knows what I actually want, and told me that her mom would nix it. She gets it.)

So, what do I want for Christmas? I have no idea.

I always suggest consumable treats in such circumstances. Depending on price range, a fancy bottle of rum, fancy cheese, wine, etc. Something I don't have to keep around too long and will enjoy savouring but that I probably wouldn't get for myself.

That would be lovely, except I eat to live, not live to eat. I'm more than happy with a tub of cool whip, baby carrots, and nilla wafers (literally).

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5655 on: November 02, 2018, 02:04:22 PM »
My glasses broke 3 months before the purchase of new glasses was planned and now I probably won't reach my super ambitious savings goal for this year :( If the market goes down any more than this I will barely even make my mildly ambitious savings goal. (Of course I did meet the goal I set on Jan 1st, based on last year's savings, by the summer)

Do you not have access to something like Zenni Optical? My basic (reading glasses*) prescription was $19 for two pair, delivered.

Yes, I bought the cheapest frames and declined all the add-ons.

*Yes, I could use the $5 generic reading glasses from the store, but these give me better reading vision. Well worth it.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5656 on: November 02, 2018, 03:19:30 PM »

Do you not have access to something like Zenni Optical? My basic (reading glasses*) prescription was $19 for two pair, delivered.

*Yes, I could use the $5 generic reading glasses from the store, but these give me better reading vision. Well worth it.

Please no.

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/antimustachian-wall-of-shame-and-comedy/overheard-at-work/21100/

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5657 on: November 03, 2018, 05:04:45 AM »
AND......to get things Back On Topic...

My MPP today is that part of my job involves schmoozong and chitchatting and discussing the latest bands and movies and TV shows, but because I don’t watch TV or know the latest movies, my work life is now suffering. Recently, someone asked me what the most recent movie I watched was, and I said “Avatar”. They looked at me very sadly.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5658 on: November 03, 2018, 05:36:05 AM »

Please no.

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/antimustachian-wall-of-shame-and-comedy/overheard-at-work/21100/

Yes, that's what I thought as well ;-)

I picked up my new glasses yesterday and I'm really happy with them. The nicest frame in the store and extra thin lenses with all the add-ons set me back €425 and that's a small price to pay for good vision.

But what I'm most happy about is that the expensive store I went to recently invested in a fundus camera and now offers fundus photography as a free service to all their customers. When I picked up my glasses I was also handed a referral to the eye doctor because they picked up some irregularities on the photo. It seems I have inherited my mum's eye condition that could lead to blindness, left untreated. So I'm very happy they picked it up in a very early stage.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5659 on: November 04, 2018, 11:37:59 AM »
AND......to get things Back On Topic...

My MPP today is that part of my job involves schmoozong and chitchatting and discussing the latest bands and movies and TV shows, but because I don’t watch TV or know the latest movies, my work life is now suffering. Recently, someone asked me what the most recent movie I watched was, and I said “Avatar”. They looked at me very sadly.

Very familiar. I am the only person at work who doesn't watch Netflix and doesn't have a bunch of perscriptions on commercial TV channels. I also seldom watch movies.
I am also the only one who goes camping in the summer.

NorCal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5660 on: November 07, 2018, 10:13:33 AM »
Another MP:

Due to a cross-state move, home purchase, and expenses related to setting up a home office (I got a new work-from home job), I've had minimal cash flow to invest during this market pullback.  It's kind of sad watching the market rebound without having made my monthly investments.

never give up

• Walrus Stache
  • Kindness is free to give and priceless to receive
« Reply #5661 on: November 07, 2018, 10:27:33 AM »
I’m afraid I have a couple of Mustachian People Problems. I now walk to work where I used to drive. The walking is between 5-6 miles a day depending on which route I choose. I also get to walk through the country so there isn’t much traffic and the air is clean. It’s hard to see an issue. It’s cheaper, great exercise and I’m in the great outdoors. However one of the benefits of driving to work was that you’d get to recognise the same people walking their dogs and waiting at bus stops. This would soon turn into a friendly interaction, maybe a nod or a cheery wave. I always think this is good for the soul.

However in walking to work I don’t pass all these people, as I go the country route. The only potential interaction I have each morning is with these six horses that stand about in one of the fields. They are six of the most miserable horses I have ever had the misfortune to meet. I give a cheery wave and say “morning” every day and never once have I had a snort, wink, or shake of the tail in return. They look at me as if I’m a complete idiot. I miss my friendly interactions on the way to work even though I know it’s far better to walk than drive.

My second Mustachian People Problem, a year into finding MMM, is that I’m finding I’m getting weirder and weirder compared to the majority of the population. For example this week I have had to start early at work. To save time in the morning I have taken my breakfast to work. Now this may seem strange but I’ve had the same breakfast bowl for 34 years. It cost me 8 tokens collected from packets of cereal and Ł1.50 for postage back in 1984. I was 7 at the time. The main issue is that the bowl has childrens cartoon characters on it along with the 1984 time stamp. I found at work that people were a bit judgemental on a now 41 year old eating their breakfast from a children’s breakfast bowl.

I do completely understand that it’s not normal to non-Mustachians, to celebrate your breakfast bowls 35th birthday, but next year I have plans!

letsdoit

• Bristles
« Reply #5662 on: November 07, 2018, 11:03:10 AM »
wow! go breakfast bowl

Dragonswan

• Bristles
« Reply #5663 on: November 07, 2018, 11:10:42 AM »
May I suggest bringing six apples with you on tomorrow's journey.  Take one out as you pass the field and wave it about.  When they all come trotting over, feed each an apple.  They'll come over every day after that, so make sure to mix it up with a carrot now and again.

What might those plans be?  A cereal retrospective?  A night on the town where you go to a diner in the morning and ask them to use your bowl to serve a hangover cure?  After 35 hard working years will you finally let the bowl FIRE and put it in a place of honor in the cupboard?  Or perhaps a well deserved promotion to dinner bowl?  Inquiring minds need to know!

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5664 on: November 07, 2018, 11:29:35 AM »
Nah, the bowl loves its work, it'll never be happy in retirement.

I think it'll be a 1980's cartoon-themed party.

never give up

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5665 on: November 07, 2018, 11:30:47 AM »
Thanks for the suggestion but those miserable horses don’t deserve such kindness. If they can’t be civil out of the kindness of their hearts then I’m not going to bribe them to be nice to me. I would just feel empty.

Put the bowl in a cupboard? Would you do this to a small child or the family dog? No, no I could never do that. I’ve had friendships that haven’t lasted as long as this. I was thinking of perhaps mixing up my cereals to give it a change and using only the freshest milk. Plus I could purchase it’s very own washing up bowl that nothing else gets washed up in.

However you’ve got me thinking bigger. Perhaps New York? A selfie at the top of the Empire State Building followed by a walk in the park. It’s never been used to hold a bagel before. There are all sorts of possibilities really. I think I’m going to have to put a lot more thought into ensuring I mark this occasion properly.

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #5666 on: November 07, 2018, 11:31:57 AM »
May I suggest bringing six apples with you on tomorrow's journey.  Take one out as you pass the field and wave it about.  When they all come trotting over, feed each an apple.  They'll come over every day after that, so make sure to mix it up with a carrot now and again.

What might those plans be?  A cereal retrospective?  A night on the town where you go to a diner in the morning and ask them to use your bowl to serve a hangover cure?  After 35 hard working years will you finally let the bowl FIRE and put it in a place of honor in the cupboard?  Or perhaps a well deserved promotion to dinner bowl?  Inquiring minds need to know!

Perhaps a lavish catered party for 250 of your closest friends.  Make sure there are lots of cut flowers, custom decorations, an 80's pop band and of course clowns!  Can't have a party without clowns!

Dragonswan

• Bristles
« Reply #5667 on: November 07, 2018, 11:52:01 AM »
Thanks for the suggestion but those miserable horses don’t deserve such kindness. If they can’t be civil out of the kindness of their hearts then I’m not going to bribe them to be nice to me. I would just feel empty.

Put the bowl in a cupboard? Would you do this to a small child or the family dog? No, no I could never do that. I’ve had friendships that haven’t lasted as long as this. I was thinking of perhaps mixing up my cereals to give it a change and using only the freshest milk. Plus I could purchase it’s very own washing up bowl that nothing else gets washed up in.

However you’ve got me thinking bigger. Perhaps New York? A selfie at the top of the Empire State Building followed by a walk in the park. It’s never been used to hold a bagel before. There are all sorts of possibilities really. I think I’m going to have to put a lot more thought into ensuring I mark this occasion properly.

It's because those horses haven't been shown kindness that they're miserable.  Be better than their owners, throw them an apple.  Nothing like the feeling of an animal with all that power eating out of your hand.

As for thinking bigger, now you're talking.  Let us know how you end up marking this momentous occasion.

never give up

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5668 on: November 07, 2018, 11:55:11 AM »
Nah, the bowl loves its work, it'll never be happy in retirement.

I think it'll be a 1980's cartoon-themed party.

The bowl is more cautious than me and has a target 0.0095% withdrawal rate, so won’t be retiring soon. I like the thought of a 1980’s cartoon themed party.

Perhaps a lavish catered party for 250 of your closest friends.  Make sure there are lots of cut flowers, custom decorations, an 80's pop band and of course clowns!  Can't have a party without clowns!

This all sounds good although I fear in such chaos the bowl could be broken.

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5669 on: November 07, 2018, 12:31:04 PM »
I'm filling out a paid survey right now and one of the questions is "until what age do you want/expect to keep working?"

Will they think I'm a complete idiot by answering 40?!

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5670 on: November 07, 2018, 12:32:54 PM »
I'm filling out a paid survey right now and one of the questions is "until what age do you want/expect to keep working?"

Maybe they'll think you're expecting early medical issues or disability?

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5671 on: November 07, 2018, 01:15:56 PM »

Maybe they'll think you're expecting early medical issues or disability?

No, because another question was 'to what age do you expect to be physically and mentally able to do your current job' and there I said something like 70 as I have a non-physically demanding job.

(I technically can't do my job to 70 as it's by definition a temporary position, but if they'd let me I could)

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #5672 on: November 07, 2018, 07:53:24 PM »
I’m afraid I have a couple of Mustachian People Problems. I now walk to work where I used to drive. The walking is between 5-6 miles a day depending on which route I choose. I also get to walk through the country so there isn’t much traffic and the air is clean. It’s hard to see an issue. It’s cheaper, great exercise and I’m in the great outdoors. However one of the benefits of driving to work was that you’d get to recognise the same people walking their dogs and waiting at bus stops. This would soon turn into a friendly interaction, maybe a nod or a cheery wave. I always think this is good for the soul.

However in walking to work I don’t pass all these people, as I go the country route. The only potential interaction I have each morning is with these six horses that stand about in one of the fields. They are six of the most miserable horses I have ever had the misfortune to meet. I give a cheery wave and say “morning” every day and never once have I had a snort, wink, or shake of the tail in return. They look at me as if I’m a complete idiot. I miss my friendly interactions on the way to work even though I know it’s far better to walk than drive.

My second Mustachian People Problem, a year into finding MMM, is that I’m finding I’m getting weirder and weirder compared to the majority of the population. For example this week I have had to start early at work. To save time in the morning I have taken my breakfast to work. Now this may seem strange but I’ve had the same breakfast bowl for 34 years. It cost me 8 tokens collected from packets of cereal and Ł1.50 for postage back in 1984. I was 7 at the time. The main issue is that the bowl has childrens cartoon characters on it along with the 1984 time stamp. I found at work that people were a bit judgemental on a now 41 year old eating their breakfast from a children’s breakfast bowl.

I do completely understand that it’s not normal to non-Mustachians, to celebrate your breakfast bowls 35th birthday, but next year I have plans!

You just need different color workers. My husband has a character mug on his desk that he received as part of a work gift exchange. As a matter of fact, all of his cubicle decorations are the result of work events. He seems to have some of his family's hoarder tendencies, but without the drive to acquire.

never give up

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5673 on: November 08, 2018, 08:58:40 AM »
Yes I don’t keep it at work. It was the change in hours that altered my routine and my coworkers not being used to seeing me eat breakfast at work. If I kept it at work I would fear it would be kidnapped and I would be sent a ransom note.

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5674 on: November 08, 2018, 11:17:19 AM »
Yes I don’t keep it at work. It was the change in hours that altered my routine and my coworkers not being used to seeing me eat breakfast at work. If I kept it at work I would fear it would be kidnapped and I would be sent a ransom note.

I know how you feel. I've been using the same cereal bowl for fifty years. The same spoon, too. It's just the perfect size, and it's stainless steel, so no chance of cracking, etc.

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5675 on: November 08, 2018, 02:59:41 PM »
I picked up my work spoon on the side of the road. It was near an elementary school, so I tell myself it was a kid's spoon, not a drug cooking spoon.

My MPP: went on an overnight mini vacation to an indoor water park, only to discover that my swimsuit tankini top's elastic had given out and the material was disintegrating and see thru. fortunately all important parts were still opaque, but that item went in the locker room garbage can at the end of the trip. Sometimes there truly is a point too far in the "one more use" mantra.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5676 on: November 10, 2018, 12:27:31 AM »

That is a badass walking distance. I actually do the same, but not every day. Usually once or twice a week, mostly in summer. Respect that you do it every day. I also walk through the forest where I can, which is half the way. In the winter that path is not cleaned for snow, which can be a struggle.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 11:48:12 AM by Linda_Norway »

never give up

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5677 on: November 10, 2018, 01:18:13 AM »
Thanks. Yes it's great. Decent shoes and the right layering is important but I enjoy the walk immensely. I have solved numerous work issues on the way into work as the fresh air and stress free commute seems to get my brain into a half decent state to perform. The walk home completely clears my head and means I have left work fully behind me by the time I arrive home.

Cannot Wait!

• Handlebar Stache
  • FIREd 2016 @ 49
« Reply #5678 on: November 10, 2018, 09:36:17 PM »
I won a $100 massage gift certificate door prize at a  volunteer appreciation dinner.   When I filled out the health check form, I rated my stress level as zero.   The RMT said he'd never seen that before  (I'm 2+ years FIREd).  MPP - my masseuse thinks I'm weird.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5679 on: November 10, 2018, 09:44:39 PM »
1 month after my first daughter started state college last year, they announced a new grant program, offering 4 years of paid tuition for incoming freshmen and transfer students, beginning the following year. Qualified applicants needed to meet family maximum income requirements, which we do as a FIRE family. The program apparently used no taxpayer dollars.

In order to qualify, my daughter would have had to transfer schools mid-semester and take a minimum amount of credits second semester to remain a freshman. Another problem: due to her taking AP classes all through high school, she was considered a sophomore after the first semester, so she would have had to withdraw out of just enough classes to remain a freshman, but not too many to qualify for a transfer to another school. All this would lead to a 1 year delay in her degree, probably costing more in lost income than the tuition savings.

On top of all that, we have been contributing $3,000 per year to her 529 plan that has grown to enough funds for 4 years of state tuition, room and board, so she doesn't need the free tuition anyway.

This is something I worry about. I plan to put $200/month into my son's 529 when he is born but would really hate to pay extra taxes (and maybe even penalties) on that money if college is free or he can get college paid for some other way. My state offers free tuition to community college as it is. I might just be better off putting that money into my retirement fund and cash-flowing his college in 18 years instead.

I picked a Roth IRA for this reason.  Well, that and my state has already FUBAR'd their pre-paid tuition program so I don't trust them to not tank this too.

BicycleB

• Walrus Stache
  • Older than the internet, but not wiser... yet
« Reply #5680 on: November 10, 2018, 09:54:03 PM »

Everyday we are closer to the top :). 
And closer to the crash.
And closer to the recovery.
And closer to my death....

Very positive thinking there, @LorenVer!

My new MPP - suddenly this thread is making me imagine the Grim Reaper...

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #5681 on: November 10, 2018, 11:10:10 PM »
1 month after my first daughter started state college last year, they announced a new grant program, offering 4 years of paid tuition for incoming freshmen and transfer students, beginning the following year. Qualified applicants needed to meet family maximum income requirements, which we do as a FIRE family. The program apparently used no taxpayer dollars.

In order to qualify, my daughter would have had to transfer schools mid-semester and take a minimum amount of credits second semester to remain a freshman. Another problem: due to her taking AP classes all through high school, she was considered a sophomore after the first semester, so she would have had to withdraw out of just enough classes to remain a freshman, but not too many to qualify for a transfer to another school. All this would lead to a 1 year delay in her degree, probably costing more in lost income than the tuition savings.

On top of all that, we have been contributing $3,000 per year to her 529 plan that has grown to enough funds for 4 years of state tuition, room and board, so she doesn't need the free tuition anyway.

This is something I worry about. I plan to put $200/month into my son's 529 when he is born but would really hate to pay extra taxes (and maybe even penalties) on that money if college is free or he can get college paid for some other way. My state offers free tuition to community college as it is. I might just be better off putting that money into my retirement fund and cash-flowing his college in 18 years instead.

I picked a Roth IRA for this reason.  Well, that and my state has already FUBAR'd their pre-paid tuition program so I don't trust them to not tank this too.

I set up a 529 for my kids when they were little.  Over time it grew into a nice  sum.  Both kids used some of the money when they went to school but there was still lots left.  I changed the beneficiary to my DW when she wanted to get a Masters Certificate.  Currently the beneficiary is me.  The account keeps growing.  If I (or my DW) decide to go back to school I will use some of it.  If not I will change the beneficiary to my grandkid(s) as they need it. 

If you don't need the money to live on, it is safe just sitting there growing.  Changing the beneficiary is very easy.

penguintroopers

• Bristles
« Reply #5682 on: November 11, 2018, 12:19:35 AM »
On the highway a few days ago I saw a white oval bumper sticker with the letters “FI” in big, black text. I was super excited, thinking “man, someone achieved financial independence and got a sticker to celebrate!” and then about 2 minutes later I realized it was more likely to be a beach bumper sticker for Fenwick Island, which isn’t too far from here...

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5683 on: November 11, 2018, 08:14:38 AM »
On the highway a few days ago I saw a white oval bumper sticker with the letters “FI” in big, black text. I was super excited, thinking “man, someone achieved financial independence and got a sticker to celebrate!” and then about 2 minutes later I realized it was more likely to be a beach bumper sticker for Fenwick Island, which isn’t too far from here...
Well, maybe he still is FI and silently chuckled because everybody thinks it's about the islands. Or he says "I am so FI I own Fenwick Island!"?

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5684 on: November 11, 2018, 07:44:28 PM »
This one is entirely on me, and in retrospect its hilarious.

I've done 3 big projects on the house this year, totaling over $15k. All planned, budgeted for, etc. No issues there.

I've also done various smaller things, supplies for DIY, repairs, etc. Combo of repair/maintenance and improvements, but this is the smaller stuff. Also budgeted for, not necessarily planned (don't get to plan to have the faucet break!). No issues there. Total - around $5k. (old house, new owner, and previous owner didn't necessarily do all the maintenance. Plus, their landscaping was crap)

I use Quicken to track my expenses. A little earlier this year, I'd decided I didn't like how I was categorizing the house related stuff, so I changed it. Basically, I'd broken it into 5 categories, and I changed it so that they're now sub categories which roll up to 1.

Today, I was reviewing my expenses, and happened to somehow see a report that wasn't broken into the sub categories, but instead only showed the top level one. Scared the crap out of myself when I saw a category that was around $20k. Took a moment before I realized that it was just adding together the different house sections. Yes, I really do think about this stuff that way.

MPP: I changed categorizing and forgot that I did it, then scared the crap out of myself.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5685 on: November 11, 2018, 08:09:18 PM »
MPP: I changed categorizing and forgot that I did it, then scared the crap out of myself.

I feel your pain. Whenever I go to an ATM that I haven't been to before, Mint categorizes it as cash spending, instead of a cash transfer from my bank account to my pocket. I usually get $150-$200 at a time so I don't have to go to the bank that often. So then I get an alert that I've overspent my 'misc' spending category by $150+ and I freak out because I think my credit card got stolen.

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5686 on: November 11, 2018, 10:19:44 PM »

And closer to the crash.

Don't fear the reaper. You just need more cowbell.

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #5687 on: November 12, 2018, 05:14:16 AM »

And closer to the crash.

Just providing my public service.  Perspective is very important.

LV

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5688 on: November 12, 2018, 11:56:41 AM »
I'm trying to get to zero air travel for environmental reasons. But in December I've been invited to give a speech at a conference at the west coast of Norway, 500 km away. That's not very far away, except that it is on the other side of the mountains. By public transport it would take 9.5 hours on train, plus 2 hours on bus and ferry, each way. If I drive, it would be about 7.5 hours each way plus charging breaks (~1 hour). If snow storms close down the mountain passes, I can go by the coastal route, which is 2 hours longer. So no matter what, I will need at least one night at a hotel.

The MPP: I have enough PTO and FU funds to do this the way I want, so I won't ask permission from my boss or the conference hosts. But the hosts are supposed to cover my travel costs. Travelling by train or car will be more expensive than plane, especially since they also are supposed to cover per diem for food. With an electric car, I have no out of pocket expenses for fuel, and with a milage of 200 000 km the depreciation costs are neglible. Normally I would just ask to get reimbursed the equivalent of the cheapest transport costs. But this is a governmental agency, so their system won't let them deviate a lot from the norm. Should I just eat the travel costs and ask them to cover the hotel night instead?

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5689 on: November 13, 2018, 04:29:58 AM »
I'm trying to get to zero air travel for environmental reasons. But in December I've been invited to give a speech at a conference at the west coast of Norway, 500 km away. That's not very far away, except that it is on the other side of the mountains. By public transport it would take 9.5 hours on train, plus 2 hours on bus and ferry, each way. If I drive, it would be about 7.5 hours each way plus charging breaks (~1 hour). If snow storms close down the mountain passes, I can go by the coastal route, which is 2 hours longer. So no matter what, I will need at least one night at a hotel.

The MPP: I have enough PTO and FU funds to do this the way I want, so I won't ask permission from my boss or the conference hosts. But the hosts are supposed to cover my travel costs. Travelling by train or car will be more expensive than plane, especially since they also are supposed to cover per diem for food. With an electric car, I have no out of pocket expenses for fuel, and with a milage of 200 000 km the depreciation costs are neglible. Normally I would just ask to get reimbursed the equivalent of the cheapest transport costs. But this is a governmental agency, so their system won't let them deviate a lot from the norm. Should I just eat the travel costs and ask them to cover the hotel night instead?

In the summer I can understand that driving would be a valid alternative. In the winter it is more more risky than flying: the road could be slippery, short daylight and the chance for the road over the mountain being closed. Driving 500 kms on wintery road, not all motorway, is a bit of a long drive for 1 driver. I support you if you choose fly.
About your host covering your costs, often those systems require to see your actual plane ticket and maybe even a flown ticket. It is perhaps difficult to charge this if you haven't flown. And it seems wrong for me to let them cover for a journey over more days than necessary.
Is there an option of driving together with another person and so have lower driving costs to invoice?
I think it is difficult to keep you environmental standards in every aspect of your life, including work travel. As you say, often you don't have the time to choose the best environmental option. If you choose to fly, you could buy climate quotes for your flight. You could also ask the host specifically if you may take the better environmental choice, the electric car. If this is a conference related environmental issues, they might accept it. Otherwise I would fly.

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5690 on: November 15, 2018, 05:30:00 AM »
I finally got around to getting a Medallion signature to move my original IRA from my bank invested in Vanguard funds over to Vanguard itself.  My MPP, I was getting close to being a Voyager select with what was in there at the most recent market top, this move will firmly put me over the standard.  This feels like cheating somehow. 

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #5691 on: November 15, 2018, 08:26:01 AM »
After googling KBB values and Carmax and autotrader and... FB is convinced I am in the market for a new car. At first they figured I must just need a new version of what I sold, but now they are throwing everything at me.

All the more reason to get uBlock Origin / EFF Badger / EFF HTTPS into all of your browsers. White list the webpages whose advertising you want to support.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5692 on: November 15, 2018, 01:46:39 PM »
After googling KBB values and Carmax and autotrader and... FB is convinced I am in the market for a new car. At first they figured I must just need a new version of what I sold, but now they are throwing everything at me.

All the more reason to get uBlock Origin / EFF Badger / EFF HTTPS into all of your browsers. White list the webpages whose advertising you want to support.
Actually that result is the only reason why you should NOT try to prevent tracking. Let them waste the money on useless ads! Mabye they get it eventually.
Maybe. 
But generally: Block, block, block!

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5693 on: November 16, 2018, 08:11:46 AM »
I finally got around to getting a Medallion signature to move my original IRA from my bank invested in Vanguard funds over to Vanguard itself.  My MPP, I was getting close to being a Voyager select with what was in there at the most recent market top, this move will firmly put me over the standard.  This feels like cheating somehow.

I have an old IRA I've been trying to move but need a stupid Medallion signature. They are hard to find.

CptCool

• Bristles
« Reply #5694 on: November 16, 2018, 11:16:40 AM »

I have an old IRA I've been trying to move but need a stupid Medallion signature. They are hard to find.

Pretty much any bank will give you a medallion signature if you have an account there

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5695 on: November 16, 2018, 02:01:51 PM »

Pretty much any bank will give you a medallion signature if you have an account there

Not as much anymore as they used to. It should still be possible, but it is getting harder to find.

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5696 on: November 16, 2018, 05:24:46 PM »

Not as much anymore as they used to. It should still be possible, but it is getting harder to find.

Turns out my old credit union, the savings account from High School/college that my parents set up for me and I never bothered to close does Medallion signatures. 

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
  • Penny wise, pound foolish
« Reply #5697 on: November 17, 2018, 12:22:15 PM »
My bread recipe didn't work, because the dough didn't raise, because apparently 17°C is not the "room temperature" they expected. Dammit.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5698 on: November 17, 2018, 02:44:47 PM »
My bread recipe didn't work, because the dough didn't raise, because apparently 17°C is not the "room temperature" they expected. Dammit.

Bread will still rise at those temperatures, just a bit slower. I always do mine in the refrigerator overnight, so 17C is not a big deal. If it didn't rise at all your yeast may need replacing...

pdxmonkey

• Bristles
« Reply #5699 on: November 19, 2018, 06:08:31 PM »
Slow rise should develop more flavor. How fast dough rises involved several factors including temperature. If your recipe only mentions time and not raise until doubled or some other measure who know what temperature was assumed. It probably differs depending on the original email the recipe w was written in. Were hearing or a/c common on that era? Was the type of bread typically made in winter, summer or year round, etc.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!