Author Topic: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)  (Read 5086515 times)

Cinder

• Bristles
Re: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)
« Reply #550 on: September 10, 2014, 07:24:12 AM »

A lot of car insurers offer handy monthly payment plans on their 6-mo premiums.  You pay a few extra bucks per month for this "service."  Ask me how I know.

That is how our car insurance is as well and yes, I was also a dope who paid that 'service charge' for a few years till I changed my naughty ways. 

Our new papers are signed.  Our broker was not present and his associate was lovely.  She apologized for him which was unnecessary and dished about his money woes.  He is in deep for alimony and a boat and something called a toy hauler.

The deed is done and we get the keys today!

We did the same thing, before we were married, my DW just always paid quarterly.  When My car was added, I was like 'why don't we just pay it all upfront?' and she's like 'I dunno, that's just how I've done it' ..  It does save a few bucks doing it all right away. 

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #551 on: September 10, 2014, 09:05:56 AM »
A lot of car insurers offer handy monthly payment plans on their 6-mo premiums.  You pay a few extra bucks per month for this "service."  Ask me how I know.

Because you have gotten car insurance before and can do elementary math?  That's entirely beside the point though, you still have to pay that first monthly payment immediately.  You just prepay each month (and pay an extra convenience fee) instead of prepaying for the entire period. 

Travisthetruth

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #552 on: September 10, 2014, 09:08:20 AM »
No one takes your advise seriously because your so young

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #553 on: September 10, 2014, 10:45:17 AM »

I hear ya on that one! I moved out on my own to a far away city when I hit 18, and had SO MUCH trouble with this for years. I'm fairly young looking for my age as well, which didn't help. I remember getting dismissed left and right for jobs, apartments, and even medical procedures - they even told me it was because of my age! Based on my experience, you unfortunately have about another 10 years to go :( It's great being 27 now.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #554 on: September 10, 2014, 03:16:08 PM »

Because you have gotten car insurance before and can do elementary math?  That's entirely beside the point though, you still have to pay that first monthly payment immediately.  You just prepay each month (and pay an extra convenience fee) instead of prepaying for the entire period.

Well, I put it on a credit card, so I'm really post-paying ;-)  Point taken though

DollarBill

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #555 on: September 10, 2014, 10:45:09 PM »
Happy/Sad moment. I hit the driving range 2 days ago to get ready for a golf tournament. Then I notice the soles of my golf shoes are peeling off (again, I've gorilla glued them back on twice. Don't know how old). So I was kind of excited to buy a new pair. Headed to the golf warehouse to check out shoes. Seems like some of the newer shoes don't even have the cleats anymore and the soles kind of looked like a pair of skechers I don't where anymore. So now I have a new/used pair of golf kicks....win/win!

Plus, I think it's funny when I beat people with a set of 21 yr old set of Wilson clubs. I haven't played for 2 yrs and still shot an 88.

windypig

• Stubble
  • You are what you hate.
« Reply #556 on: September 10, 2014, 11:14:27 PM »
I shop so little that I dont accumulate enough plastic bags for picking up my dog's poop.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #557 on: September 11, 2014, 03:32:22 AM »
I run payroll at work. Because we live on one salary and don't 'need' the money, I have come *this* close to completely forgetting to pay everyone in the company.

(That didn't happen when I was one of the people desperate for payday to come! It was useful being able to bring it forward a bit though).

TheNorwegianGuy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #558 on: September 11, 2014, 03:45:17 AM »
I run payroll at work. Because we live on one salary and don't 'need' the money, I have come *this* close to completely forgetting to pay everyone in the company.

(That didn't happen when I was one of the people desperate for payday to come! It was useful being able to bring it forward a bit though).

Haha... This could easily become an armageddon for the employees, breaking out in anarchy!

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #559 on: September 11, 2014, 06:19:56 AM »

Haha... This could easily become an armageddon for the employees, breaking out in anarchy!

The end is near!! Save yourself! Living paycheck to paycheck just makes everything so much more difficult.  I realize for some people it's not a choice and I truly feel for them but the people at my work place do this voluntarily.  I have a hard time bitting my tongue sometimes.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #560 on: September 11, 2014, 09:43:06 AM »

You should do it and post it in the epic FU stories thread! =)

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #561 on: September 11, 2014, 11:14:22 AM »

That is how our car insurance is as well and yes, I was also a dope who paid that 'service charge' for a few years till I changed my naughty ways. 

Our new papers are signed.  Our broker was not present and his associate was lovely.  She apologized for him which was unnecessary and dished about his money woes.  He is in deep for alimony and a boat and something called a toy hauler.

The deed is done and we get the keys today!

When I refinanced my mortgage (to 15 years at half the interest rate!), my new company wouldn't let me just send them proof of insurance like my old one did. They tried to make me use their insurance company (at 3x my prior premium with less coverage), which I refused to do. My agent worked it out so that instead of billing me for the premium, they just billed the mortgage company who took it out of escrow. Which meant I had to rework my budget.

With my insurance company, the discount for signing up for monthly EFT is more than the discount for paying in full. Weird, but I'm not going to argue it.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #562 on: September 11, 2014, 11:34:07 AM »
I shop so little that I dont accumulate enough plastic bags for picking up my dog's poop.

In my parent's county, they charge a 5 cent tax on plastic bags! So now lots of people use reusable bags.

FirePaddle

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #563 on: September 11, 2014, 12:23:45 PM »
Over-contributing to HSA account=$25 fee. I think my employer messed that one up!

KeeKat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #564 on: September 11, 2014, 06:45:16 PM »
Had to register to share this... No one else will understand!

Been tracking my expenses/net worth closely since July. I was on track to hit 40K networth by the end of the year by saving $600 per month. I forgot to include my car (yes, facepunch for buying a new car a few years ago) as property in calculating my NW and magically when adding that in per KBB value, I hit 52K NW.

Now I'm super bummed as I won't hit my next milestone for such a long time :(

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #565 on: September 11, 2014, 07:48:29 PM »
Had to register to share this... No one else will understand!

Been tracking my expenses/net worth closely since July. I was on track to hit 40K networth by the end of the year by saving $600 per month. I forgot to include my car (yes, facepunch for buying a new car a few years ago) as property in calculating my NW and magically when adding that in per KBB value, I hit 52K NW.

Now I'm super bummed as I won't hit my next milestone for such a long time :(

You could decide to not include your car in your net worth. Which isn't all that "wrong" because unless you're going to give up using a car entirely, once you sell your car you're going to use at least some of that money towards your next car.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #566 on: September 11, 2014, 09:52:53 PM »
Also a car is a depreciating asset, so it gets sort of complicated to include.  I think most people don't.

But I feel your pain.  I was going to celebrate when my net worth doubled since I started tracking it...but I'm not intuitively good with numbers so I mis-estimated and it actually happened five months ago...

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #567 on: September 11, 2014, 10:04:47 PM »

In person?  That makes total sense.  Online or in print?  I wouldn't take you seriously either.  People who don't know the difference between advice and advise or your and you're shouldn't be taken seriously.  Grammar is still important, no matter what your generation seems to think.

[/getoffmylawn]

Wolf_Stache

• Pencil Stache
    • Flower's Fang
« Reply #568 on: September 12, 2014, 10:18:33 AM »

In person?  That makes total sense.  Online or in print?  I wouldn't take you seriously either.  People who don't know the difference between advice and advise or your and you're shouldn't be taken seriously.  Grammar is still important, no matter what your generation seems to think.

[/getoffmylawn]

Eric is a bit harsh, but he has a point. As a novelist, those kinds of errors make me roll my eyes and move on. Especially once you get into the business world. If you are struggling, try writing your posts out in word, then use the spelling AND grammar check in word before posting. It won't catch everything, but it is better than nothing.

In person - I feel your pain. it is only now that I'm in my thirties that I actually *look* old enough for people to take my advice seriously. I almost got arrested once when I was 29, because the cop thought I was a junior high/high school kid skipping school.

The way to get around looking young is to sound authoritative and knowledgeable when you talk.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #569 on: September 12, 2014, 10:37:45 AM »

[/getoffmylawn]

Eric is a bit harsh, but he has a point. As a novelist, those kinds of errors make me roll my eyes and move on. Especially once you get into the business world. If you are struggling, try writing your posts out in word, then use the spelling AND grammar check in word before posting. It won't catch everything, but it is better than nothing.

In person - I feel your pain. it is only now that I'm in my thirties that I actually *look* old enough for people to take my advice seriously. I almost got arrested once when I was 29, because the cop thought I was a junior high/high school kid skipping school.

The way to get around looking young is to sound authoritative and knowledgeable when you talk.

I would actually argue the opposite is true.  Become an authority and people will care what you have to say. 

Quote from: Louis CK
Because you think you deserve better. You think you’re too interesting a person to have a shitty job. Every 20-year-old that I encounter behind the counter gives me that [look], ‘this job sucks.’ Yeah, that’s why we gave it to you! Because you’re 20, which is a mathematical guarantee that you have no skills and nothing to offer anybody in the world.

You’re 20! For two decades, you’ve just been taking and sucking up – education and love and food and iPods; just sucking it up and judging it. Ugh – “It’s pretty good, but not really, I like that.” You’ve just been selecting and absorbing shit that you didn’t fucking earn for two decades! Three presidents, that’s how long. You’ve just been a burden!

You’re like an orange that is rotting on a tree. And the tree’s like, “get this thing, it’s crazy.” “I don’t want to go, let me stay!”

You’re 20! You’ve never done any – if you’re 20 years old, I guarantee you, you have never done anything for anybody ever, never. Yes, you went on a school trip to Guatemala and they told you, you helped, but you totally did not help.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #570 on: September 12, 2014, 10:56:46 AM »

I purchased a renters policy from a large national company last month. That little service charge difference between paying monthly or 12 months upfront added up to almost double. After a little chat with the insurance lady, it would appear that the only people renting in my area do not have $90 in their pocket right now, or think paying $14 a month is a much better deal.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #571 on: September 12, 2014, 12:11:44 PM »
Panicked this morning when I saw a negative account balance on my bank website.

It was my credit card due to a return being processed after I paid the bill.

DollarBill

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #572 on: September 12, 2014, 03:10:22 PM »
Panicked this morning when I saw a negative account balance on my bank website.

It was my credit card due to a return being processed after I paid the bill.

I kind of did the same thing the other day but didn't realize that they owed me...so I sent off another payment (oops).

Andiham

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #573 on: September 12, 2014, 04:41:10 PM »
My parents thinks i'm dumb and that what i'm doing can't be attained

Amen.

Also:
- My mother and I get into tiffs because she wants to buy me stuff when we visit her and I tell her there's nothing I want/I don't need anything.
- I have learned how to cook awesome food at home and so consequently have begun to realize that restaurant food isn't that great.
- People offering to pay for my food, my tickets, etc when I decline invitations to restaurants, plays, etc, because they think I can't afford it.

Basenji

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #574 on: September 13, 2014, 07:06:28 AM »
Family members with serious financial issues who always have the latest toys were talking about the new iPhone and the daughter is whining, "When are we getting new phones?" I felt physical distress keeping myself from saying anything, my brain was exploding with "WTF? You are in debt!" We were eating and I lost my appetite.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #575 on: September 13, 2014, 11:08:01 PM »
Having to replace tires because they get too old not because the tread is wearing down.  This is hard because they *look* just fine.

GardenFun

• Bristles
« Reply #576 on: September 14, 2014, 07:47:54 AM »
Also:
- My mother and I get into tiffs because she wants to buy me stuff when we visit her and I tell her there's nothing I want/I don't need anything.

This!!! So true.  Got birthday money from parents with a note from Mom stating that I MUST spend the money and better not save it.  I typically save the money until I find something I want (may be 6 months later), but she wants me to spend it immediately and give a play-by-play on the purchases. 

GardenFun

• Bristles
« Reply #577 on: September 14, 2014, 07:53:27 AM »
You have money fights with your significant other because you have TOO much money and not sure what to do with it. 

Husband got serious look in his eye recently, said he took money out of the ATM and we needed to talk about the account balance.  I thought maybe someone stole some money out of it.  Oh no, he was freaked out because there was too much money in the account and he wanted to know why I wasn't doing something with it.  My gosh, it had been growing for months and he finally realized it. 

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #578 on: September 14, 2014, 09:41:38 AM »
You have money fights with your significant other because you have TOO much money and not sure what to do with it. 

Husband got serious look in his eye recently, said he took money out of the ATM and we needed to talk about the account balance.  I thought maybe someone stole some money out of it.  Oh no, he was freaked out because there was too much money in the account and he wanted to know why I wasn't doing something with it.  My gosh, it had been growing for months and he finally realized it.
I love this.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #579 on: September 14, 2014, 10:24:24 AM »
Nobody believes you when you say you want to walk somewhere because the weather's nice.  They assume you only want to do it to save money.

GardenFun

• Bristles
« Reply #580 on: September 14, 2014, 12:11:12 PM »
Nobody believes you when you say you want to walk somewhere because the weather's nice.  They assume you only want to do it to save money.

And you are both correct.  :-)  Only, the money is a small secondary reason that is now habit. 

Mexitali

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Frugal is the New Fancy (love!)
« Reply #581 on: September 14, 2014, 03:14:24 PM »
I can't take advantage of high interest checking accounts because I don't make enough purchases.
Hahahahhaha! That's awesome! A friend of mine back in the day rode his bike everywhere and I thought the same thing. Turned out he had a perfectly fine functioning car in his back garage--he was just mustacian and no one knew about that way of life back in '02 lolz! I thought he was nutz but now I'm here wishing I had taken notes a decade ago.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #582 on: September 14, 2014, 04:02:11 PM »
I have shopping ADHD. When making a "big" purchase I can only stand to look at "features" for about 7 - 8 minutes then I'm ready to jump out of my skin, I am done.

I had a sudden urge, after sleeping in a hotel, to try a softer new-type mattress like a pillow top or something similar. So yesterday I went to the mattress store and after lying down on their beds and then hearing aboaut hard mattress/soft top and all of the variations, I just got bored. I don't care.

Never mind, I'll stick with my own mattress.

I was the same way when we last bought a television. Our friend who is addicted to electronics, went with us because she loves electronics. I couldn't get interested in all of the "features" she kept pointing out, "do you want this ...?"  or "what about that...?" or "soon you will need blah blah blah because of blah blah blah..."

I. don't. care. I just want a tv that works.

DDrake

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Why buy new when extremely used will do.
« Reply #583 on: September 14, 2014, 05:26:00 PM »
Having to take the time to explain to the lady in HR how I can survive while maxing out my 401k contribution.   

Elderwood17

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #584 on: September 14, 2014, 05:45:24 PM »
Having to bet your tongue constantly when people think you drive the car you drive because you cannot afford a new Stupid Useless Vehicle like their new Escalade they are so proudly showing you. 

My tongue gets bit often being of a mustachian mind set!

DollarBill

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #585 on: September 14, 2014, 08:25:41 PM »
I have shopping ADHD. When making a "big" purchase I can only stand to look at "features" for about 7 - 8 minutes then I'm ready to jump out of my skin, I am done.

I had a sudden urge, after sleeping in a hotel, to try a softer new-type mattress like a pillow top or something similar. So yesterday I went to the mattress store and after lying down on their beds and then hearing aboaut hard mattress/soft top and all of the variations, I just got bored. I don't care.

I was the same way when we last bought a television. Our friend who is addicted to electronics, went with us because she loves electronics. I couldn't get interested in all of the "features" she kept pointing out, "do you want this ...?"  or "what about that...?" or "soon you will need blah blah blah because of blah blah blah..."

I feel this way too...I can't believe people fall for the hype of things like a curved, 3D or smart TV. I've been watching mine with about a 1/4 of the screen blurry after the last move. Still looks fine to me.

Timmmy

• Bristles
« Reply #586 on: September 15, 2014, 08:12:04 AM »

I feel this way too...I can't believe people fall for the hype of things like a curved, 3D or smart TV. I've been watching mine with about a 1/4 of the screen blurry after the last move. Still looks fine to me.

This.  Especially with TVs.  I'm using a 7 year old 32" TV that is not even full HD :GASP: I'd like to buy a new TV but all the useless features get annoying when looking at options.  I guess I'll just keep using it till it dies and then I'll buy something that's on clearance or craigslist or something. 

jordanread

« Reply #587 on: September 15, 2014, 08:26:54 AM »

I'm of a slightly different mind set here. I couldn't see the point in watching anything on the TV unless it was a good experience. The last TV we had was given to us because it randomly turned off. As it got worse, we just watched less and less. If I was going to actually sit down and watch something, a blur, or a bad experience would make me angry. That being said, my TV is primarily used for Chromecasting pandora, so if there was a way I could turn off the screen, but keep the speakers, it would almost never be turned on...except for Dr. Who.

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #588 on: September 15, 2014, 08:48:51 AM »
We cancelled cable three months ago.  We only had basic cable and it cost $55/month.  It seemed like too much money to be paying.  But anyway, we kept our TV.  It was one that my husband got for free because someone in his old apartament building had upgraded to a flat screen. 

Maybe I would be interested in upgrading my TV technology if I actually watched the thing.  On the other hand, I am not willing to get rid of something that works but is not the latest and greatest.  (We'll see what happens when hockey season starts, my husband may not be able to resist getting cable again).
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 08:51:07 AM by pachnik »

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #589 on: September 15, 2014, 06:51:55 PM »
We cancelled cable three months ago.  We only had basic cable and it cost $55/month.  It seemed like too much money to be paying.  But anyway, we kept our TV.  It was one that my husband got for free because someone in his old apartament building had upgraded to a flat screen. 

Maybe I would be interested in upgrading my TV technology if I actually watched the thing.  On the other hand, I am not willing to get rid of something that works but is not the latest and greatest.  (We'll see what happens when hockey season starts, my husband may not be able to resist getting cable again).

I moved recently and went cable-free. The problem is...wait for it...that I never upgraded to a digital TV. I stuck with my old huge (and nice) TV and just let the cable convert the digital signal to analog while I was in my old house. I just got too lazy to rewire everything after the digital conversion took place.

Now I have this huge TV in the new house that has never been turned on. I borrowed a small digital TV from a friend, but only use it occasionally to watch the news and stuff. I've actually been watching a lot less TV after the move and cutting the cable cord. I'm wondering if I should splurge and buy a regular sized digital TV to use with an antenna or just stick with the small one. I'll probably cave at some point when I start wanting to watch movies.

Watching one or two shows online has been very acceptable for now...
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 06:53:27 PM by Daisy »

Timmmy

• Bristles
« Reply #590 on: September 16, 2014, 09:22:35 AM »
You get so little mail that it regularly takes a day or two for the mailman to realize you have a netflix movie that needs picked up, but you don't care enough to take it to the post office

I don't do netflix but I think my mailman feels bad for me.  He keeps giving me mail meant for my neighbors. 

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #591 on: September 16, 2014, 11:01:31 AM »
You get so little mail that it regularly takes a day or two for the mailman to realize you have a netflix movie that needs picked up, but you don't care enough to take it to the post office

I don't do netflix but I think my mailman feels bad for me.  He keeps giving me mail meant for my neighbors.

You may have the same mailman as me.  I get all kinds of mail for neighbors and people who longer live at my house.

Timmmy

• Bristles
« Reply #592 on: September 16, 2014, 12:18:16 PM »

You may have the same mailman as me.  I get all kinds of mail for neighbors and people who longer live at my house.

I haven't seen any mail addressed to frugalnacho but I'll pay more attention in the future. 

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #593 on: September 17, 2014, 10:02:19 AM »
That boggles my mind. I've kept receiving magazine subscriptions for people who moved out months ago. Do they not even notice when the magazine they pay for doesn't come after a while?

If only USPS provided a straightforward service to let everybody know you moved and forward your shit to you every time you switch... Oh wait it does.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #594 on: September 17, 2014, 11:21:24 AM »
That boggles my mind. I've kept receiving magazine subscriptions for people who moved out months ago. Do they not even notice when the magazine they pay for doesn't come after a while?

If only USPS provided a straightforward service to let everybody know you moved and forward your shit to you every time you switch... Oh wait it does.

As someone who just moved... screw that.  I've submitted two forwarding requests in the last month, and never got a confirmation.  I tried to call the old post office using the number on usps.com... number disconnected.  1-800 number people can't do anything and give me a different disconnected number.  WTH?

Of course, it would probably work fine if I paid the $1 credit card fee to "verify" my identity online, despite the fact that they can easily perform this verification without actually charging me any money.  And supposedly submitting a snail-mail request is free (but apparently they discourage this by just throwing them in the trash?). 

/rant

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #595 on: September 17, 2014, 08:50:44 PM »
People are discussing how much they make per week.  You hella surprise everyone with a really low number and then you're like, 'Wait, wait, I'm sorry, that's what comes into my checking account after my maxed-out 401k contribution.  I guess I don't actually know what I make per week.'

And supposedly submitting a snail-mail request is free (but apparently they discourage this by just throwing them in the trash?). 
/rant

Well they're practicing that low-information diet thing.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #596 on: September 18, 2014, 09:41:25 AM »

When I got home from work, after posting this, my neighbors mail was in my mailbox.  The coincidence almost blew my mind until I realized I had like a 25% chance of that happening.

I also get mail for people that lived in my house over 8 years ago.  8 Fucking years ago and they still deliver mail.  I wrote "RETURN TO SENDER - DOES NOT LIVE HERE" for awhile, but they kept coming back.  Now I just throw their mail in the garbage.  I assume it's garbage and not important if they are sending it to an address they haven't lived at for 8+ years.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #597 on: September 19, 2014, 08:20:48 PM »

When I got home from work, after posting this, my neighbors mail was in my mailbox.  The coincidence almost blew my mind until I realized I had like a 25% chance of that happening.

I also get mail for people that lived in my house over 8 years ago.  8 Fucking years ago and they still deliver mail.  I wrote "RETURN TO SENDER - DOES NOT LIVE HERE" for awhile, but they kept coming back.  Now I just throw their mail in the garbage.  I assume it's garbage and not important if they are sending it to an address they haven't lived at for 8+ years.

Just this week, got 2 pieces of mail for the former owner who moved out 10 years ago...

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #598 on: September 20, 2014, 11:24:01 AM »

Just this week, got 2 pieces of mail for the former owner who moved out 10 years ago...
I still get mail for the previous owner.  Most is junk advertising.  But I check it because sometime there is good stuff there.  Last week I got a $5 Starbucks gift card from a local painter.  It may be a year before I spend it but I am glad I didn't just throw it out.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #599 on: September 20, 2014, 12:55:44 PM »

I still get mail for the previous owner.  Most is junk advertising.  But I check it because sometime there is good stuff there.  Last week I got a $5 Starbucks gift card from a local painter.  It may be a year before I spend it but I am glad I didn't just throw it out.
Just letting you know, but it is a felony to open someone else's mail.