Author Topic: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)  (Read 5086751 times)

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
Re: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)
« Reply #5350 on: July 08, 2018, 10:20:56 PM »
I have the oldest car in the parking lot at work (2006 Jetta).  I love cars, and could easily afford to purchase a new one for cash (but I'm not an idiot).  I actually think I get more pleasure driving this car than I would if I purchased a newer more luxurious model.  Not planning on replacing it until it becomes economically unviable.
I had the same pleasure at my last job--my '95 Corolla was easily the oldest in the lot.  When I switched jobs in 2011, I no longer held that honor--my boss had an even older Accord.  That one eventually got wrecked by a teenager, and I reclaimed my title.  My other boss was in 2nd with a '99 Corolla.  Last year, after that one got totalled, he upgraded...to a '01 Accord. :)

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5351 on: July 09, 2018, 12:24:35 AM »
For our summer vacation next week, I miss plastic bags. I have stopped getting plastic bags in grocery stores, because I use cloth bags. And I have stopped shopping all kinds of nonsense in other shops.

Maybe the grocery store has a roll of plastic garbage bags that I could buy?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5352 on: July 09, 2018, 08:29:26 AM »
For our summer vacation next week, I miss plastic bags. I have stopped getting plastic bags in grocery stores, because I use cloth bags. And I have stopped shopping all kinds of nonsense in other shops.

Clean out and reuse the plastic packaging that your food comes in.  There's still plenty of plastic to go around.  :P

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5353 on: July 10, 2018, 12:08:44 AM »

Clean out and reuse the plastic packaging that your food comes in.  There's still plenty of plastic to go around.  :P

Why would you suddenly need plastic bags for the vacation? Can't you just use the cloth ones?

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5354 on: July 10, 2018, 01:42:51 AM »

Why would you suddenly need plastic bags for the vacation? Can't you just use the cloth ones?

Waterproof packaging during a week long backpack hiking trip. We have proper waterproof bags for the important stuff, like sleeping bags and clothes. But we put food and some other stuff in plastic shopping bags. Keeps out the rain.

The bags that food come in are reused for other purposes, but they are very flimsy. Not suited for this purpose.

CptCool

• Bristles
« Reply #5355 on: July 10, 2018, 08:55:42 AM »
Waterproof packaging during a week long backpack hiking trip. We have proper waterproof bags for the important stuff, like sleeping bags and clothes. But we put food and some other stuff in plastic shopping bags. Keeps out the rain.

The bags that food come in are reused for other purposes, but they are very flimsy. Not suited for this purpose.

I realize you're in Norway so the amazon link below probably isn't relevant, but you should get trash compactor bags and use 1 to line your entire pack. That way everything is 100% waterproof. It's amazing and super lightweight. I usually bring 2 - one for a bag liner and one to put on the ground to sit on, put my stuff on top of it, etc

https://www.amazon.com/Hefty-Trash-Compactor-Bags-GAL/dp/B002BXRGQA

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5356 on: July 10, 2018, 09:16:22 AM »

I realize you're in Norway so the amazon link below probably isn't relevant, but you should get trash compactor bags and use 1 to line your entire pack. That way everything is 100% waterproof. It's amazing and super lightweight. I usually bring 2 - one for a bag liner and one to put on the ground to sit on, put my stuff on top of it, etc

Trash compactors are a thing I only know in theory of. We just have large containers. But yes, there are shops that sell a variety of plastic bags, big, small or extra solid for all purposes. We will find a solution somewhere.

I also reuse the compostable plastic bags that we get for free from the community to throw away our green garbage. We have a composting bin where we throw in our green garbage without a bag. The bags are used on hiking trips for collecting my toilet paper. They also burn on a campfire. And in the bathroom in our house in the small bins.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 09:18:45 AM by Linda_Norway »

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #5357 on: July 10, 2018, 12:33:52 PM »

Trash compactors are a thing I only know in theory of. We just have large containers. But yes, there are shops that sell a variety of plastic bags, big, small or extra solid for all purposes. We will find a solution somewhere.

I also reuse the compostable plastic bags that we get for free from the community to throw away our green garbage. We have a composting bin where we throw in our green garbage without a bag. The bags are used on hiking trips for collecting my toilet paper. They also burn on a campfire. And in the bathroom in our house in the small bins.

Just wrap it in oiled linen

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #5358 on: July 10, 2018, 02:42:08 PM »
Anyone else thought they found their long lost tribe when they found this site or read the comments on this topic?

Me too. I feel at home here.

It feels hard when I'm asked by friends what I want for my birthday. I can't answer rice & beans and they are not very fond of giving me money.
Oh, the drama. The difficult life a mustachian

The personal evolution from spendy American to optimized saver/investor. Challenges have melted away as long term efforts at home and work have paid off. DW and I are just two average professionals making an effort. Not rich but doing fine.

Meanwhile from time to time we witness our "old selves" while out visiting. These folks are seeking justification for their choices, want to commiserate about money woes, and are receptive in varying degrees about being steered towards answers on the web. I think some of them just want to complain to someone and get some attention. More often than not advice is unheeded or unwelcome. Some folks must like their stress. ;)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 02:53:54 PM by Just Joe »

Spruit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5359 on: July 13, 2018, 03:14:32 AM »
When selling a late relative's stuff through Marktplaats (the local Craigslist) and you find yourself jumping to every slightly reasonable offer, thinking "Well, I would not pay more for it, right? I mean, I'd rather have the money than the thing. Better one bird in the hand than two in the bush..."
Then finding out after the deal is sealed that the item is worth more to a lot of people. Damn frugality mindset!

(Also, to be too decent to revoke the deal and sell to the (now) highest bidder instead, but I guess that's a different discussion. I hate it when people do that to me after the deal is done, so I won't do it to other people. But damn, so tempting!)

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5360 on: July 13, 2018, 05:59:35 AM »
1299 posts... 1299 posts... How am I going to get one more post to make it an even... oh.

peregrine

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5361 on: July 13, 2018, 08:08:20 AM »
Mustachian people problem:

When a family member asks how much my mortgage pmnt is and I tell them.

Then after a few seconds they're like, "Yeah, but how much with taxes and insurance? Huh???"

And I'm like, "No, that's with taxes and insurance."

And after a few seconds they're like, "....."
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 08:13:46 AM by peregrine »

Bicycle_B

• Handlebar Stache
  • Mustachian-ish in Live Music Capital of the World
« Reply #5362 on: July 13, 2018, 08:20:06 AM »
Mint keeps sending me emails that say "You haven't spent anything in the last week. That can't be right." It is, but I don't want to label Mint as spam because I might get a legitimate message. Wasted electrons.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5363 on: July 14, 2018, 11:42:43 PM »
I lost my job recently, and I keep having the most awkward conversations with people. They are only saying it because they care about me and are worried, and I appreciate it, but I don't know what to say to all the people who want to know how long I'll be able to last without a paycheck. The truth is something like seven or eight years, but I don't want to say that. A lot of my friends are low income and it just sounds so cringey to say that to someone who struggles to afford health insurance.

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5364 on: July 15, 2018, 02:04:26 AM »
That's a tough one Slicey! Could you say something like that you'd been saving up for a while as you wanted a change and they had tried to lay you off a few months ago already? You don't have to tell them you'll be fine for 8 years, but you can let them know you've prepared yourself for this already and you'll be fine for a while if you cut back some expenses :)

Raymond Reddington

• Stubble
  • "The Concierge of Cash"
« Reply #5365 on: July 15, 2018, 03:22:51 AM »
Mustachian problems - trying to relate to the masses in everyday financial conversations.

Me (thinks to self quietly): Hmm...Is payday this week or next week? It's one or the other.
Everyone else (out loud): WOOHOO! Payday! Just in time for all my bills!
Me (to myself): Cool, guess it's this week.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Everyone else: ZOMG! The stock market is down!!! Is it a crash??? OMG let me click on 50 Jim Cramer stories to find out!!! I might have to sell!!!
Me: Cool, stuff is cheaper today. Time to buy more.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Everyone else: Wow, nice car.
Me: Thanks.
Everyone else: That's my ride over there.
Me: Cool.
Everyone else (waits for a compliment)
Me: ....
Everyone else: I got a sweet deal from XX dealership for it. At the end of the lease, I can upgrade to a new model and just sign a new lease.
Me: Cool, mine's totally paid off.
Everyone else: I can't believe XX bank is gonna start charging a monthly fee.
Me: That's easy enough to avoid.
Everyone else: HOW?
Me: Don't you have emergency savings in the bank?
Everyone else: Yeah, I keep a few hundred bucks in there, not enough to avoid the fee.
Me: ...
Me: Trying to figure out a way to save money on XX
Everyone else: Oh, that's easy. If you need money, just take out a pension loan or a 401k loans
Everyone else: Did you not hear what I said?
Me: Oh, I heard it. But that's literally the worst thing I could do in this situation.
Everyone else: And why's that? You pay the interest back to yourself in the end anyway!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Me: I got a pretty good interest rate on my mortgage, and they give me cash back. Plus its fixed, so my payments won't go up unless property taxes or insurance do.
Everyone else: Did you shop around? The best rates always come from (name of credit union withheld)
Me: Of course I did. They didn't have the best rates.
Everyone else: I don't know, I wouldn't be so sure. I swear by them for everything, and they've been pretty good.
Me: Really? I hear complaints all the time about how they have no ATMs hardly, and it's tough to get your money out. And didn't their CEO just get in trouble for (info withheld to protect the guilty)
Everyone else: Well, yeah, I mean they're small, but that's to be expected. But at least they don't charge fees!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Clookie

• Stubble
« Reply #5366 on: July 15, 2018, 08:06:46 AM »
Mustachian problems - trying to relate to the masses in everyday financial conversations.

Me (thinks to self quietly): Hmm...Is payday this week or next week? It's one or the other.
Everyone else: ZOMG! The stock market is down!!! Is it a crash??? OMG let me click on 50 Jim Cramer stories to find out!!! I might have to sell!!!
Everyone else: I got a sweet deal from XX dealership for it. At the end of the lease, I can upgrade to a new model and just sign a new lease.
Everyone else: Yeah, I keep a few hundred bucks in there, not enough to avoid the fee.
Everyone else: Oh, that's easy. If you need money, just take out a pension loan or a 401k loans
Me: Oh, I heard it. But that's literally the worst thing I could do in this situation.
Everyone else: And why's that? You pay the interest back to yourself in the end anyway!
Me: I got a pretty good interest rate on my mortgage, and they give me cash back. Plus its fixed, so my payments won't go up unless property taxes or insurance do.
Everyone else: Did you shop around? The best rates always come from (name of credit union withheld)
Everyone else: I don't know, I wouldn't be so sure. I swear by them for everything, and they've been pretty good.
Me: Really? I hear complaints all the time about how they have no ATMs hardly, and it's tough to get your money out. And didn't their CEO just get in trouble for (info withheld to protect the guilty)
Everyone else: Well, yeah, I mean they're small, but that's to be expected. But at least they don't charge fees!

That is THE BEST POST EVER!
Thanks for sharing @Raymond Reddington

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #5367 on: July 15, 2018, 11:19:50 AM »

That is THE BEST POST EVER!
Thanks for sharing @Raymond Reddington

You: did you not hear what I said?
Me: well I’m like half of these people

1) I like money and always get excited on pay day

2) I don’t like it when the stock market is down since my assets have gone down.  Less money for me is bad

4) I don’t like monthly bank fees and only keep a few hundred in my free checking account.  You can keep a few thousand in a zero interest account to avoid the fee, or keep it in a high yield account with no fee.  Which is better?

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5368 on: July 16, 2018, 04:22:58 AM »
I'm watching daytime TV while breastfeeding and adverts for funeral insurance keep coming up. They all have a line in them like "and of course it would be hard to find £3500 at short notice, wouldn't it?" And I'm like...is it? If you're over fifty?

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #5369 on: July 16, 2018, 04:45:29 AM »
I'm watching daytime TV while breastfeeding and adverts for funeral insurance keep coming up. They all have a line in them like "and of course it would be hard to find £3500 at short notice, wouldn't it?" And I'm like...is it? If you're over fifty?

I regularly get marketing calls for funerals. They tell me that they can cost over $10k. I say I know, we just had to pay for one. They say, well then you'll know how important it is to have insurance then. I say no thanks, we'll just pay from savings like we did then???

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5370 on: July 16, 2018, 08:38:52 AM »
When the lunchtime conversation turns to expensive vacations, new SUVs, and credit card debt, I just sit there like a lump of gold.
FTFY @Radiowave.

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5371 on: July 16, 2018, 12:58:51 PM »
I use capital one investing and they are merging with E-Trade. All my stock will be transferred over except for fractional shares. I have .96 in a fractional share of a stock that's gone up 1100% and I really don't want to sell. That .96 came entirely from dividends! Sure I could re-buy it as a whole share but it's the principle damnit!!! Next dividend date was going to put me over the fraction to a whole share. Selling then buying is NOT THE SAME.

Sent from my H1623 using Tapatalk

Raymond Reddington

• Stubble
  • "The Concierge of Cash"
« Reply #5372 on: July 16, 2018, 03:37:22 PM »
I use capital one investing and they are merging with E-Trade. All my stock will be transferred over except for fractional shares. I have .96 in a fractional share of a stock that's gone up 1100% and I really don't want to sell. That .96 came entirely from dividends! Sure I could re-buy it as a whole share but it's the principle damnit!!! Next dividend date was going to put me over the fraction to a whole share. Selling then buying is NOT THE SAME.

That happened to me once. Had .9 something fractional share after ex div but before pay date. Div was .2. So they sold the .9 fractional share to move assets, then the .2 fractional share that came after was immediately sold. I was annoyed about the "loss" of my additional share :)

afuera

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5373 on: July 18, 2018, 09:24:59 AM »
I forgot to call Fidelity on Monday and request a roth in-plan conversion on my aftertax contributions.  Yesterday the market hopped up close to 1%.  Now I have to pay a miniscule amount of taxes on my conversion.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5374 on: July 18, 2018, 05:37:13 PM »
I'm on a forum for infertility (currently going through IVF). What I entered planning on getting emotional support and community, has ended up being me giving a lot of information on funding options for these expensive medical procedures, loans, how to access credit reports and submit corrections, etc etc.

Even when I'm not in a finance place, I end up finding finance case studies! =o

CindyBS

• Bristles
« Reply #5375 on: July 19, 2018, 04:08:18 PM »
Calculated NW today and was disappointed it only went up by $6K in the last 2 months. 

It was a combination of the stock market flattening out recently and some bigger once per year expenses we paid recently.

Boo-hoo.

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5376 on: July 21, 2018, 01:20:55 AM »
Just thought of one I had a while ago.

When I had a viewing for my current place, the guy that was living there at the time tried to give me all sort of "advice" on how to furnish the room. He extensively explained about how he'd recommend me to put my TV in spot X and how ridiculous it was that the girl prior to him had her TV in spot Y. He also kept going on what the optimal TV size should be considering the room is quite small and it could be too much TV easily. Out of the 30 min viewing, he probably spent 15 minutes on this story.

MPP: I don't watch TV. I don't have a TV. My furniture arrangement is not affected by TV logistics.

Clookie

• Stubble
« Reply #5377 on: July 21, 2018, 01:57:16 PM »
My friends are convinced that my recent switch to biking wherever I can is due to a D.U.I.  :-)
+1

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5378 on: July 21, 2018, 01:59:26 PM »
Tell them it’s for vehicular manslaughter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5379 on: July 22, 2018, 08:53:35 AM »

MPP: I don't watch TV. I don't have a TV. My furniture arrangement is not affected by TV logistics.

Yeah, I remember that when I hosted viewings for my previous apartment, that I rented. I had almost 20 viewers (not seperately, luckily, over two or three evenings) because the landlord tried to get a really high rent for it. 

More than half of them asked me where my TV was. When I told one guy I didn't have a TV, he asked me where the cable connection point was and I had to admit I didn't have the faintest idea. The look on his face was priceless. A few months after I moved out, they had finally found a new tenant and the guy from the letting agency called me in a panic about the TV and internet connection. In the end, it turned out the apartment didn't have modern TV connection and no internet connection at all. I had never noticed because I had shared my neighbours' wifi for all 4 years I lived there (with permission).

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5380 on: July 22, 2018, 09:46:34 AM »

Yeah, I remember that when I hosted viewings for my previous apartment, that I rented. I had almost 20 viewers (not seperately, luckily, over two or three evenings) because the landlord tried to get a really high rent for it. 

More than half of them asked me where my TV was. When I told one guy I didn't have a TV, he asked me where the cable connection point was and I had to admit I didn't have the faintest idea. The look on his face was priceless. A few months after I moved out, they had finally found a new tenant and the guy from the letting agency called me in a panic about the TV and internet connection. In the end, it turned out the apartment didn't have modern TV connection and no internet connection at all. I had never noticed because I had shared my neighbours' wifi for all 4 years I lived there (with permission).

HAHA we should've been flatmates I guess :)

I had the same when subletting my room when I went to study abroad. Every person that came to check it out asked where my TV was, if I'd already moved it out. I just got rid of them by saying I watch stuff on my laptop (which is true, like once a month when there's sth I want to watch). One asked if I maybe was from one of those super religious groups that can't watch TV. I did know where the connection was though, thanks to the internet connection being in the same spot.

Other fun ones are:
"Shouldn't you blow dry your hair?" - I don't have a hair dryer.. never used one.
"Where's your microwave?" - Eeehm I never realized I didn't have one?!
"Do you have some lotion/cream for me, I have dry skin" - Is sunblock OK for you? That's all I've got..

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5381 on: July 23, 2018, 08:44:42 AM »
However, HR has dropped the ball and failed to deposit my 401k money for 2 months.

They may owe you for lost earnings:
https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans/401k-plan-fix-it-guide-you-have-not-timely-deposited-employee-elective-deferrals

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5382 on: July 25, 2018, 09:14:40 AM »
My MPP: just started a new job, with a pay raise, so I'm still figuring out what take home pay will be after all benefits have kicked in (401k takes 2 months here).

At the same time:
I will be paying off my SL in September.
Chose to do low interest financing for project cash flow purposes vs. pull money from accounts already earmarked for that spending (am clearing more in gains than the loan costs, so it was a no brainer for me, and I'll pay it off pretty quickly anyway from normal cash flow).
Will now have 3 separate HSAs that I would really prefer to combine into one.
Pending the paperwork to rollover my old 401k.
Plus the associated updating of my tracking for all the changes.

I will be spending a bunch of time researching, updating and reevaluating everything to ensure it's all optimized. Once all the damn paperwork shows up. At least it's all converging at once, so I can do the analysis once vs multiple times.

Slow&Steady

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5383 on: July 25, 2018, 09:48:29 AM »
My MPP: just started a new job, with a pay raise, so I'm still figuring out what take home pay will be after all benefits have kicked in (401k takes 2 months here).

At the same time:
Chose to do low interest financing for project cash flow purposes vs. pull money from accounts already earmarked for that spending (am clearing more in gains than the loan costs, so it was a no brainer for me, and I'll pay it off pretty quickly anyway from normal cash flow).

I will be spending a bunch of time researching, updating and reevaluating everything to ensure it's all optimized. Once all the damn paperwork shows up. At least it's all converging at once, so I can do the analysis once vs multiple times.

MPP - Trying to be patient enough to wait for all the paperwork to show up so you only do the updating/reevaluation 1 time. 

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5384 on: July 25, 2018, 12:37:50 PM »

At the same time:

MPP - Trying to be patient enough to wait for all the paperwork to show up so you only do the updating/reevaluation 1 time.

Pretty much. And I can add one thing to my list - someone else around here posted about their cc having an annual fee now. I have the same cc, unused in the drawer, so guess what I get to go check on? (First Financial Bank, go check yours if you have it)

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5385 on: July 27, 2018, 12:05:02 PM »
My propane provider sent out a notice of an opportunity to bulk-buy propane for the winter at a reduced rate. I looked at my usage for last winter.  I used so little propane that it will be cheaper for me to pay retail.

Zoot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5386 on: July 31, 2018, 04:11:47 AM »
MPP:  Got an unexpected bonus at work, and since 401(k) contributions were taken out at my usual max-it-out-for-the-year percentage contribution rate, I am now on track to go over the yearly max.  Had to adjust my 401(k) contribution rate AND my additional withholding (side hustles and 1099 income FTW) to account for the unexpected income.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5387 on: July 31, 2018, 01:12:08 PM »
I had a full refund + shipping refund for a faulty dress I bought. I bought it online using my credit card, so the money was refunded to my card.

In my country, you can't use a creditcard to buy groceries, and I don't buy much else, so now there's a +€70 balance on my card. There's a fee to transfer the money back to my bank account, and I only receive interest if the positive balance is higher than €500. This money is going to be sitting there until I need to order something online again.

rantk81

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5388 on: July 31, 2018, 03:27:39 PM »
After reviewing my monthly finances, realizing that I'm essentially FI now, and reviewing my insurance/liability-insurance coverage, it seemed to me that I needed more coverage to "protect my status" of being FI. So today I met with my insurance agent, and purchased an additional liability policy.  Damn, there goes another $400/yr for a few million extra in coverage.  Good thing that that's just a drop in the bucket...

WranglerBowman

• Stubble
« Reply #5389 on: July 31, 2018, 04:04:50 PM »

Amen! Capital One for me too...for the time being.  It's especially frustrating when you have to sell a fractional share of Amazon, or worse Berkshire Hathaway... 

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5390 on: August 02, 2018, 05:18:15 AM »
After reviewing my monthly finances, realizing that I'm essentially FI now, and reviewing my insurance/liability-insurance coverage, it seemed to me that I needed more coverage to "protect my status" of being FI. So today I met with my insurance agent, and purchased an additional liability policy.  Damn, there goes another $400/yr for a few million extra in coverage.  Good thing that that's just a drop in the bucket...

You may want more liability coverage, if you have more assets and your risk appetite is such that you feel that's warranted.

BUT, did you look into increasing deductibles or dropping physical damage or towing coverages? If you're FI, you can afford to pay a higher deductible or pay to replace your car in an accident, and those changes will save a significant amount of money.

rantk81

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5391 on: August 02, 2018, 07:26:46 AM »
You may want more liability coverage, if you have more assets and your risk appetite is such that you feel that's warranted.

BUT, did you look into increasing deductibles or dropping physical damage or towing coverages? If you're FI, you can afford to pay a higher deductible or pay to replace your car in an accident, and those changes will save a significant amount of money.

Good advice, but not applicable to me. I have no auto policy (I haven't had a car in years.)  I purchased additional home and personal liability coverage, with exclusions saying I'm not a regular driver.  And my deductibles on my homeowners policy have been at the maximum level for quite some time already.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5392 on: August 02, 2018, 08:38:25 AM »

What's an ATM?
 Oh, wait, I remember, I used one back in the middle 80s.

I do have customers that don't have cash, so they go to the local
ATM, pay $2.50 to get $40.

DaMa

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5393 on: August 02, 2018, 09:27:02 AM »
I had conversations with two different people this week that need plastic surgery for legit medical reasons -- one a breast reduction and the other a tummy tuck.  The insurance companies have denied pre-approval.  I suggested that they go ahead and just pay out-of-pocket and pursue the insurance companies, since they would probably get paid.  Each looked at me like I'd lost my mind.  I mean sure it's $20k, but it's their health.  Plastic surgeons have payment plans.  Neither of these woman would hesitate to spend $30k on a new car.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5394 on: August 02, 2018, 01:31:33 PM »

What's an ATM?

What are cheques?

I was born in the early 80s and I have never seen one in RL. I have heard that the last banks stopped accepting cheques from non-business customers 2 years ago.

If I need money, I go to the next bank that is in "my" of the 2 big pools and I get whatever cash amount I want with no costs.

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5395 on: August 02, 2018, 01:47:31 PM »
What are cheques?

I was born in the early 80s and I have never seen one in RL. I have heard that the last banks stopped accepting cheques from non-business customers 2 years ago.

If I need money, I go to the next bank that is in "my" of the 2 big pools and I get whatever cash amount I want with no costs.

Come to the U.S., where you can have the magical experience of standing behind someone paying with check in the grocery store. Just like it's 1970!

"What's the date today?"
"August 2"
"August already?" [tears out check] "Can you throw this away for me, I started writing July."
"Your total is $15.67."
"It can't be fifty dollars!"
"No, it's FIFTEEN."
"Oh, OK, fifteen fifty-seven."
"No, sixty-seven."
"Oh, sixty-seven." [3 minutes later] "Here you go."
"Sir, you made this out to Amy's Supermarket. This is Bert's Supermarket."
"What?! I thought this was Amy's!"
"Amy's was located down the street, and they closed last year."
"Well, fine, throw that away. What's the date again?"

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5396 on: August 02, 2018, 01:50:41 PM »

What's an ATM?

What are cheques?

A cheque is the British spelling of check. I was born in the mid-80s and I've encountered them a ton and still do. The main difference now is that we deposit them via mobile app instead of in person. Are they just not used in Germany? What is the common safe method of person-to-person transactions there?

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5397 on: August 02, 2018, 01:53:27 PM »
I've been on a spending fast for the last week, and it's kind of depressing. I have no transactions to download, categorize, summarize, analyze.

WHAT DO I DO WITH ALL THIS FREE TIME!?!?

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5398 on: August 02, 2018, 03:10:57 PM »
A cheque is the British spelling of check. I was born in the mid-80s and I've encountered them a ton and still do. The main difference now is that we deposit them via mobile app instead of in person. Are they just not used in Germany? What is the common safe method of person-to-person transactions there?

The last time I used a check in Sweden was in 1998 and they were rare even back then.  Person-to-person transactions here are normally in cash, direct bank transfers (quick and free) or a mobile payment system called Swish (instant, and free between individuals). 

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5399 on: August 02, 2018, 03:36:51 PM »
US here, and I just deposited four checks today!  Living in the future.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!