Author Topic: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)  (Read 1821311 times)

ditheca

• Stubble
Re: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)
« Reply #5000 on: April 08, 2018, 04:20:34 AM »
We might be viewed as rather laid back (some might say irresponsible) parents, but DH and I believe in treating everyone as human beings, and in raising capable adults. Sometimes it is very hard, like what we are doing now, or when he have to find good arguments rather than just saying “do what you are told”.

We just got a call from the principal.  Our seven-year-old daughter organized a rebellion in her gym class because the teacher wanted them to play kickball and she thought it was a dumb game.

I had to try to tactfully explain that our household values critical thinking over blind obedience. We want the children to question the rationale behind our decisions. When they make a particular good rebuttal, we find a good compromise rather than sticking with the original plan.

Seems like first grade teachers aren't used to needing to justify themselves. ^_^

Roadrunner53

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5001 on: April 08, 2018, 04:56:41 AM »
If you were trying to teach a class of 25 kids and one kid started acting up and refusing to go with the flow. It is disruptive, not a rebuttal. They are in school to learn and the teacher doesn't have time to please one kid because she/he is having a hissy fit. I see no problem with the kid asking if they can do something else but the teacher isn't there as a recess attendant. They have a specific reason they are teaching a certain thing. Kids need to learn to obey authority.

My Father told me when he went to Catholic school he did something wrong and the teacher paddled him. He went home and told his parents and his Father paddled him again for not obeying the nun. This was in the 1930's.

Not that I agree with paddling kids in school. My point is kids are in school to learn, not to change the teachers agenda. Rebuttal is fine at home but teachers are too busy to please one kid that doesn't happen to like kickball. I hated everything about gym in my day and if it was up to me I just wouldn't have gone at all. I don't think that would have worked for me!

shelivesthedream

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5002 on: April 08, 2018, 05:12:56 AM »
There's a difference between a rebellion and a rebuttal, and between critical thinking and throwing a hissy fit. I think good parenting teaches children how to approach interpersonal conflict productively. For example, sitting down in the middle of the playing field with your arms crossed refusing to move because you think PE is stupid is not critical thinking. Approaching the teacher privately and asking if you could do X next time instead of Y because ABC is much more helpful. It's all about balance and teaching children not just to question things but HOW to question them.

Basenji

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5003 on: April 08, 2018, 08:34:57 AM »
Finally, finally convinced DH that we could get rid of a large stack of coffee-table-style books we never look at and which were all gifts. I'm all giddy, bag them up, take heavy stack to our library for their upcoming fund-raising booksale. Sign on door: "We are temporarily not accepting book donations in anticipation of the booksale. We will resume accepting donations on April 23."

Stands in front of library reading sign. Sighs. Takes books back home. I must hide the books in case DH sees them and reconsiders letting go. Or maybe I'll just put them out front in a box and announce on Next Door. They are too large to fit in the Little Free Library boxes around the neighborhood. I suppose I could try to sell them, but wow, so much time spent on things I never wanted in the first place.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5004 on: April 08, 2018, 08:40:26 AM »
Finally, finally convinced DH that we could get rid of a large stack of coffee-table-style books we never look at and which were all gifts. I'm all giddy, bag them up, take heavy stack to our library for their upcoming fund-raising booksale. Sign on door: "We are temporarily not accepting book donations in anticipation of the booksale. We will resume accepting donations on April 23."

Stands in front of library reading sign. Sighs. Takes books back home. I must hide the books in case DH sees them and reconsiders letting go. Or maybe I'll just put them out front in a box and announce on Next Door. They are too large to fit in the Little Free Library boxes around the neighborhood. I suppose I could try to sell them, but wow, so much time spent on things I never wanted in the first place.

Buy Nothing Project? Either that or you can knock on the door of someone who has a free little library, and they can keep the overflow in their house?

Basenji

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5005 on: April 08, 2018, 08:45:06 AM »
Buy Nothing Project? Either that or you can knock on the door of someone who has a free little library, and they can keep the overflow in their house?

Thanks, yeah, lots of solutions at hand. I was just laughing at how much time I am expending on getting rid of something and thought of this thread. I mean I could just toss the books in the recyling bin, but that's not optimal. It's evidence that I have way too much time as a FIRE person. Mustachian people problem.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5006 on: April 08, 2018, 08:47:53 AM »

Thanks, yeah, lots of solutions at hand. I was just laughing at how much time I am expending on getting rid of something and thought of this thread. I mean I could just toss the books in the recyling bin, but that's not optimal. It's evidence that I have way too much time as a FIRE person. Mustachian people problem.

Haha, sorry, I did the cardinal sin of this thread and tried to SOLVE something instead of chuckling and moving on!

Roadrunner53

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5007 on: April 08, 2018, 09:46:37 AM »
Take them to Goodwill and donate them! Get them out of sight. Charity is charity whether the library or Goodwill. I just had the Vietnam Vets do a giant pick up here. 13 giant garbage bags of household stuff and clothes. Bagged, tagged and out the door! I just donated a boatload of books to a small culinary school they were all culinary and other cookbooks. They were thrilled...me too to get rid of them!

Dicey

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5008 on: April 08, 2018, 02:44:43 PM »

If you volunteered at the library, they'd have taken your books anyway. Also, you get first pick of the books that are going into the sale. Not that I speak from experience or anything. I've been doing this so long, I have the keys to the storage shed and the cashbox. Hint: They can always, always use more help setting up/taking down the book sales. In my group, if you help with take down, you can have anything you want, free of charge. But you have to get there early and choose quickly, because we move fast on takedown morning.

Either that or you can knock on the door of someone who has a free little library, and they can keep the overflow in their house?
Key word: little. Coffee table books usually don't fit.

Finally, @Basenji, bless you for reading the sign and not dumping your books beneath it. Library volunteers everywhere thank you and wish there were more like you.

P.S. Yesterday, we packed up and picked up a truckload of books from a friend who's clearing out his parents house. I was thinking that sale set-up started today, so we could drop them off directly. Erp, set-up is next week. We could still drop them off, but that's a wasted trip across town. Sigh, we'll just leave the boxes in the truck (it has a shell) until next week. Fortunately,  DH walks to work, so the truck can just sit, low-riding in the driveway, mocking me for being an idiot.

Basenji

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5009 on: April 08, 2018, 02:48:48 PM »
If you volunteered at the library, they'd have taken your books anyway. Also, you get first pick of the books that are going into the sale. Not that I speak from experience or anything. I've been doing this so long, I have the keys to the storage shed and the cashbox.
Volunteering at the library is on my list of activities to try out. Thanks for the reminder.

Basenji

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5010 on: April 08, 2018, 02:53:25 PM »
I just donated a boatload of books to a small culinary school they were all culinary and other cookbooks.
That's a good idea (donating specific-subject books to a school), but you will pry my cookbooks from my cold, dead (covered in some sticky sauce) hands. ; )

living small

• Stubble
« Reply #5011 on: April 08, 2018, 06:20:49 PM »
I just donated a boatload of books to a small culinary school they were all culinary and other cookbooks.
That's a good idea (donating specific-subject books to a school), but you will pry my cookbooks from my cold, dead (covered in some sticky sauce) hands. ; )

Cookbooks are my life. Agreed wholeheartedly on this one!

ditheca

• Stubble
« Reply #5012 on: April 08, 2018, 10:32:00 PM »
There's a difference between a rebellion and a rebuttal, and between critical thinking and throwing a hissy fit. I think good parenting teaches children how to approach interpersonal conflict productively. For example, sitting down in the middle of the playing field with your arms crossed refusing to move because you think PE is stupid is not critical thinking.

Agree 100%. But my daughter is seven years old and we can't teach her everything at once! Her big brother is much better about avoiding conflict.

Still, we've intentionally coached him on standing up to authority.  He has a serious invisible (physical) disability that makes it dangerous for him to be treated like a normal kid.  Substitute teachers can be a real threat to his well being, and we've had to teach him how to stand up for himself in productive and non-threatening ways.

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5013 on: April 09, 2018, 12:57:51 AM »

Cookbooks are my life. Agreed wholeheartedly on this one!

I donated a bunch of Dutch cookbooks to a cook at work who speaks Dutch and Norwegian. He was delighted to get cookbooks in his other language.

shelivesthedream

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5014 on: April 09, 2018, 01:57:09 AM »
There's a difference between a rebellion and a rebuttal, and between critical thinking and throwing a hissy fit. I think good parenting teaches children how to approach interpersonal conflict productively. For example, sitting down in the middle of the playing field with your arms crossed refusing to move because you think PE is stupid is not critical thinking.

Agree 100%. But my daughter is seven years old and we can't teach her everything at once! Her big brother is much better about avoiding conflict.

Still, we've intentionally coached him on standing up to authority.  He has a serious invisible (physical) disability that makes it dangerous for him to be treated like a normal kid.  Substitute teachers can be a real threat to his well being, and we've had to teach him how to stand up for himself in productive and non-threatening ways.

I wasn't intending to criticise - just inserting a bit of balance between you and Roadrunner53 because we obviously didn't have the full story from either of you, and I didn't think either of you wanted to start a fight over semantics! :)

Dollar Slice

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5015 on: April 09, 2018, 01:34:01 PM »
401(k) rollover showed up in my IRA today. Of COURSE the sale processed on a down day and the money showed up in my account on an up day... *roll eyes* I want to believe in that whole "time in the market" thing, but it's sure tempting with the current market gyrations to wait and see if tomorrow is a down day again... :-/  If I buy today this rollover will end up costing me 2% of the rollover balance. Not a huge deal in the long run, but annoying on a MPP level.

Anon in Alaska

• Stubble
« Reply #5016 on: April 10, 2018, 02:24:45 AM »
She isn't lying. Have you driven there? I thought I was pretty steady about stuff, since I'm from rural-ish Oregon, and I've driven on my fair share of dirt and gravel mountain roads edged by a straight drop off. But dude. Dude. Colorado. We drove there during a storm once? The river was just RIGHT on the tiiiiiny white stripe, on this narrow ass road, with NO FUCKING GUARD RAIL AT ALL.

Haha, yeah. I drove through the Rocky Mountain National Park, on what is supposed to be one of the highest roads in the continental US (maybe the highest?). I was driving (therefore on the side close to the center of the road) and paying very close attention, so I didn't appreciate the craziness of the road as much, but my friends were sitting on the right side of the car, where the steep drop-off was, and they were barely holding it together, sweating and clinging to the door handles... (I don't have any pics since I was driving, but see here for an example)

For another exciting road, I recommend Going to the Sun Road in Montana. Intensely beautiful, a little scary at times, and with a chance of bears and mountain goats

And if you like those then you need to drive the Dalton Highway. Here's the New York Times making it sound bad https://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/08/travel/alaska-dalton-highway.html

and here's how pretty it is in parts
https://www.google.com/search?as_st=y&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=mnTMWq_YCsWW0wK0mbfoCA&q=atigun+pass&oq=atigun+pass&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0l3j0i24k1l4.13150.15262.0.15500.7.7.0.0.0.0.158.1046.0j7.7.0....0...1c..64.psy-ab..0.7.1040...0i7i30k1j0i13k1.0.NJiKcO0bCEs

LennStar

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5017 on: April 10, 2018, 02:35:10 AM »
The oldest daughter (11) is leaving tomorrow for a 9 day travel to a youth camp across the world. She has packed her national costume, traditional food from our country, and more than enough clothes. Still, there is plenty of room in her little carry on suitcase. I'm getting increasingly nervous, considering how much people normally pack for these types of journeys. Have we misunderstood something? Is there anything imporant she should pack that we are missing? Or do "normal" people for some reason carry a lot of unnecessary junk?
Passport, hygeine supplies (toothpaste etc etc), maybe a camera?

Honestly, most people grossly over pack though. They'll bring 4 pairs of shoes and 3 outfits per day and their entire bathroom plus half the electronics they own. If common sense says everything needed is packed, it probably is.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

http://www.itchyfeetcomic.com/2014/02/cargo-reduction.html#.Wsx2439CSUk

Aegishjalmur

• Stubble
« Reply #5018 on: April 10, 2018, 09:36:13 AM »
Haha, yeah. I drove through the Rocky Mountain National Park, on what is supposed to be one of the highest roads in the continental US (maybe the highest?). I was driving (therefore on the side close to the center of the road) and paying very close attention, so I didn't appreciate the craziness of the road as much, but my friends were sitting on the right side of the car, where the steep drop-off was, and they were barely holding it together, sweating and clinging to the door handles... (I don't have any pics since I was driving, but see here for an example)

For another exciting road, I recommend Going to the Sun Road in Montana. Intensely beautiful, a little scary at times, and with a chance of bears and mountain goats

I've been on that one, too! That's an amazing area... We saw lots of mountain goats but no bears.

Independence Pass here in Colorado- closed for over half the year due to weather. One side isn't bad but the other side is a 2 lane road, no guardrails that in spots is single car width wide with blind corners and rock walls that come up to the side of the road and droppoffs on the other side.

After living in CO for over a decade and driving through the mountains, I find driving most places very relaxing in comparison.

Going to the Sun road was neat. No goats that I saw but we had the idiots hanging out the car window to get a photo of the grizzly cub on the other side of the road.

Erma

• Bristles
« Reply #5019 on: April 10, 2018, 10:07:53 AM »
I bought my cats chicken hearts because they are cheap, but my cats get so excited that there is now a real risk in getting injured (and having additional doctor bills) by feeding them.

BDWW

• Bristles
« Reply #5020 on: April 10, 2018, 11:30:09 AM »
I bought my cats chicken hearts because they are cheap, but my cats get so excited that there is now a real risk in getting injured (and having additional doctor bills) by feeding them.

I stopped buying my dogs pig ears, because it seemed to stress them out too much. One especially would run at full speed with it into the corner of the yard, and look around nervously with his back to the fence corner, and then move and hide somewhere else when anyone would look at him.  Think gollum with his precious.

Aegishjalmur

• Stubble
« Reply #5021 on: April 10, 2018, 11:56:38 AM »
MPP- DW and I are 'arguing' about now that we are FIREd what day of the week we are perpetually on. I say Sunday because I didn't go to work yesterday or today. DW says Saturday as we are not dreading returning to work tomorrow. 😋

Dollar Slice

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5022 on: April 10, 2018, 12:08:25 PM »
MPP- DW and I are 'arguing' about now that we are FIREd what day of the week we are perpetually on. I say Sunday because I didn't go to work yesterday or today. DW says Saturday as we are not dreading returning to work tomorrow. 😋

It's obviously the middle of a long weekend... :-)

Lews Therin

• Handlebar Stache
  • Used to be Canadian Ben
« Reply #5023 on: April 10, 2018, 12:12:17 PM »

It's obviously the middle of a long weekend... :-)

Wednesday. Of a vacation week.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5024 on: April 10, 2018, 12:30:21 PM »

Sigh. I can't wait.

Trifele

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5025 on: April 10, 2018, 12:46:52 PM »

I think this is the best MPP yet!!

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5026 on: April 10, 2018, 11:45:08 PM »
Also, we are Norwegian. Kids are learning to handle knives and axes in kindergarten here. Wrapping kids in cotton isn’t acceptable behavior.
Ha!  You reminded me of a story..
I was asked to present a educational session on "simple tools" to a group of 6 and 7 year olds.

Thinks like levers, wedges, pullies, wheel, hammers, etc.

I brought a wheelbarrow, a pulley, a hammer and an axe to demonstrate what simple machines / tools are and how they multiply your effectiveness.

I think some of the moms almost fainted when I let the young girls handle the axe.  I mean -- what on earth were they going to do with it, with me right there?  We weren't even chopping, just picking it up and talking about it.

Loren Ver

• Bristles
« Reply #5027 on: April 11, 2018, 05:23:26 AM »
Also, we are Norwegian. Kids are learning to handle knives and axes in kindergarten here. Wrapping kids in cotton isn’t acceptable behavior.
Ha!  You reminded me of a story..
I was asked to present a educational session on "simple tools" to a group of 6 and 7 year olds.

Thinks like levers, wedges, pullies, wheel, hammers, etc.

I brought a wheelbarrow, a pulley, a hammer and an axe to demonstrate what simple machines / tools are and how they multiply your effectiveness.

I think some of the moms almost fainted when I let the young girls handle the axe.  I mean -- what on earth were they going to do with it, with me right there?  We weren't even chopping, just picking it up and talking about it.

Oh no!  A WEDGE!  AHHHH!!!

Dragonswan

• Bristles
« Reply #5028 on: April 11, 2018, 09:14:09 AM »
Now I'm wondering if old people are really senile when they can't remember what day it is or they just don't give a crap because they're not working and it no longer matters what day it is.

Trifele

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5029 on: April 11, 2018, 09:26:05 AM »
Now I'm wondering if old people are really senile when they can't remember what day it is or they just don't give a crap because they're not working and it no longer matters what day it is.

Haha -- I think it is mostly the latter.  My brother FIREd at 45, and it wasn't long before he regularly lost touch with what day of the week it is. 

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5030 on: April 11, 2018, 04:08:12 PM »

Yup.   Mr. SP and I say every day is Saturday.  He had a medical issue a couple of weeks ago, and they did a cognitive test and asked him what day it was.  Neither one of us knew for sure.  We thought different days - I was right, but really just guessing.   Nope, not senile.  Just don't care.

Nightwatchman9270

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5031 on: April 12, 2018, 02:50:30 AM »
Don't worry scro'! There are plenty of ' tards out there living really kick ass lives. My first wife was 'tarded. She's a pilot now.

[MOD NOTE: This isn't just about the use of the word "retarded", which you probably shouldn't use in relation to your spouse (???).  This is also about referring to an entire profession as "retarded".  I didn't let it slide when someone started a fight by referring to all people with a certain major as "burdens on society" and I don't see why it should stand here.]

Go away! Batin'!

"I like money"....I guess Frito was a Mustachian from the future! 1) Lived in a small studio apartment 2) Few posessions other than TV and Toilet-chair.  3) Few expensive hobbies besides "Baitin'" 3) Likes money!

« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 02:53:37 AM by Nightwatchman9270 »

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #5032 on: April 12, 2018, 02:56:17 AM »
Don't worry scro'! There are plenty of ' tards out there living really kick ass lives. My first wife was 'tarded. She's a pilot now.

[MOD NOTE: This isn't just about the use of the word "retarded", which you probably shouldn't use in relation to your spouse (???).  This is also about referring to an entire profession as "retarded".  I didn't let it slide when someone started a fight by referring to all people with a certain major as "burdens on society" and I don't see why it should stand here.]

Go away! Batin'!

"I like money"....I guess Frito was a Mustachian from the future! 1) Lived in a small studio apartment 2) Few posessions other than TV and Toilet-chair.  3) Few expensive hobbies besides "Baitin'" 3) Likes money!

I can't believe you like money too.  We should hang out.

barbaz

• Stubble
« Reply #5033 on: April 12, 2018, 07:10:01 AM »
Mustachian from the future! 1) Lived in a small studio apartment 2) Few posessions other than TV and Toilet-chair.  3) Few expensive hobbies besides "Baitin'" 3) Likes money!

Me too! Maybe we should have some sort of online forum for people like us to talk.

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5034 on: April 12, 2018, 08:10:35 PM »
Mustachian from the future! 1) Lived in a small studio apartment 2) Few posessions other than TV and Toilet-chair.  3) Few expensive hobbies besides "Baitin'" 3) Likes money!

Me too! Maybe we should have some sort of online forum for people like us to talk.

That would be weird. Nobody would do that.

Dollar Slice

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5035 on: April 12, 2018, 11:59:15 PM »
I had a months' worth of income in checks/ACH payments go through coincidentally on the same day (rent check, taxes, etc), in the middle of a month of not getting a paycheck and having to pay for COBRA, and I can't complain to anyone about it. My friends would think I was bragging about having $4000 in my checking account, and the mustachians just shrug and say "you budgeted for it, right? NBD."

Rural

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5036 on: April 13, 2018, 05:46:38 AM »
One of my cards raised my limit several thousand dollars two months ago and I finally noticed because I got an email about it from credit monitoring ( which I get for free due to one or another of the many recent breaches).

kaypinkHH

• Pencil Stache
    • My first Journal!
« Reply #5037 on: April 13, 2018, 07:17:35 AM »
MPP of the day: Got my big giant house sale cheque, went to update a race from X to X forum thread. Was $742 short of the goal. Feel all sad now.

2.5 months later, still hovering around the same mark.  Still haven't been able to break to the next "race" thread. Stupid trade wars and volatile market UGH!!!

MrsWolfeRN

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5038 on: April 13, 2018, 08:05:32 AM »
Got an email about my fitness pal having a data breach. I guess  I don't put enough pictures of my breakfast on the internet so they had to hack me. Today I had a banana :)

Imma

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5039 on: April 13, 2018, 09:14:21 AM »
My s/o just texted me to ask if I wanted to do "something special" this weekend, that we don't usually do. He suggested going to the movies. I have no idea how to actually even buy a ticket. The last time I went, back when I was in high school, you bought paper tickets from the box office. I have a gut feeling it doesn't work like that anymore.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #5040 on: April 13, 2018, 09:34:33 AM »
Got an email about my fitness pal having a data breach. I guess  I don't put enough pictures of my breakfast on the internet so they had to hack me. Today I had a banana :)

The real threat of this is mostly people who use the same email/password combo on another site like banking, or spear phishing

lifewithbenandjen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Freedom to help others!
    • www.lifewithbenandjen.com
« Reply #5041 on: April 13, 2018, 10:13:11 AM »
I have a hard time telling people what I do for a living.

Just Joe

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5042 on: April 13, 2018, 10:17:36 AM »
My s/o just texted me to ask if I wanted to do "something special" this weekend, that we don't usually do. He suggested going to the movies. I have no idea how to actually even buy a ticket. The last time I went, back when I was in high school, you bought paper tickets from the box office. I have a gut feeling it doesn't work like that anymore.

You can still do that. I did that recently with the kids.

Dicey

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5043 on: April 13, 2018, 10:25:51 AM »

Of course, you might be in for a shock when you see what movies cost these days...not to mention popcorn. Have fun!

Sibley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5044 on: April 13, 2018, 11:14:10 AM »

Of course, you might be in for a shock when you see what movies cost these days...not to mention popcorn. Have fun!

Budget around $15 per ticket, plus 15-25 for food/drinks.

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5045 on: April 13, 2018, 11:17:32 AM »

Wait, aren't we on MMM? Since when do we buy food/drinks at the movies? Facepunch for you!

Imma, last time I went to the movies in NL (2 years ago? Or more?) you could still get tickets at the box office, but you can also get them online and pick your own seats in advance if you want to do it the modern way.

techwiz

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5046 on: April 13, 2018, 11:24:02 AM »
pick your own seats in advance

There is reserved seating at the movies now... how is that enforced.... seat must be numbered?  I guess it been a while since I went to the movies.  When was the last Lord of the Rings movie released?

jlcnuke

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5047 on: April 13, 2018, 11:31:04 AM »

There is reserved seating at the movies now... how is that enforced.... seat must be numbered?  I guess it been a while since I went to the movies.  When was the last Lord of the Rings movie released?

Yes, many theatres have numbers seats. The one I go to on the odd occasion where I go see a movie has numbered, assigned, oversized, electric-reclining seats. My next favorite also serves meals and drinks during the movie.

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5048 on: April 13, 2018, 11:44:12 AM »

In my country the seats have been numbered as long as I remember (which is about 18y ago since I went to the movies as a 6yo). Might depend on the movie theatre/location.

Imma

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5049 on: April 13, 2018, 12:06:54 PM »

Wait, aren't we on MMM? Since when do we buy food/drinks at the movies? Facepunch for you!

Imma, last time I went to the movies in NL (2 years ago? Or more?) you could still get tickets at the box office, but you can also get them online and pick your own seats in advance if you want to do it the modern way.

I think I've seen my brother use an app? But it's good to know you can still get tickets the old fashioned way.

I'm secretly not 100% happy with this idea (because why spend money when you've got Netflix and popcorn at home) but I don't want to ruin our night. We don't go out together that often and it's important to him. And I'm sure it's going to be fun. I've told him my only requirement is that we dress up (=him wearing something that's not a hoodie :)  ) .