Author Topic: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)  (Read 5086946 times)

Dragonswan

• Bristles
Re: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)
« Reply #5000 on: April 11, 2018, 09:14:09 AM »
MPP- DW and I are 'arguing' about now that we are FIREd what day of the week we are perpetually on. I say Sunday because I didn't go to work yesterday or today. DW says Saturday as we are not dreading returning to work tomorrow. 😋
Now I'm wondering if old people are really senile when they can't remember what day it is or they just don't give a crap because they're not working and it no longer matters what day it is.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #5001 on: April 11, 2018, 09:26:05 AM »
MPP- DW and I are 'arguing' about now that we are FIREd what day of the week we are perpetually on. I say Sunday because I didn't go to work yesterday or today. DW says Saturday as we are not dreading returning to work tomorrow. 😋
Now I'm wondering if old people are really senile when they can't remember what day it is or they just don't give a crap because they're not working and it no longer matters what day it is.

Haha -- I think it is mostly the latter.  My brother FIREd at 45, and it wasn't long before he regularly lost touch with what day of the week it is. 

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5002 on: April 11, 2018, 04:08:12 PM »

Yup.   Mr. SP and I say every day is Saturday.  He had a medical issue a couple of weeks ago, and they did a cognitive test and asked him what day it was.  Neither one of us knew for sure.  We thought different days - I was right, but really just guessing.   Nope, not senile.  Just don't care.

Nightwatchman9270

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5003 on: April 12, 2018, 02:50:30 AM »
Don't worry scro'! There are plenty of ' tards out there living really kick ass lives. My first wife was 'tarded. She's a pilot now.

[MOD NOTE: This isn't just about the use of the word "retarded", which you probably shouldn't use in relation to your spouse (???).  This is also about referring to an entire profession as "retarded".  I didn't let it slide when someone started a fight by referring to all people with a certain major as "burdens on society" and I don't see why it should stand here.]

Go away! Batin'!

"I like money"....I guess Frito was a Mustachian from the future! 1) Lived in a small studio apartment 2) Few posessions other than TV and Toilet-chair.  3) Few expensive hobbies besides "Baitin'" 3) Likes money!

« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 02:53:37 AM by Nightwatchman9270 »

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #5004 on: April 12, 2018, 02:56:17 AM »
Don't worry scro'! There are plenty of ' tards out there living really kick ass lives. My first wife was 'tarded. She's a pilot now.

[MOD NOTE: This isn't just about the use of the word "retarded", which you probably shouldn't use in relation to your spouse (???).  This is also about referring to an entire profession as "retarded".  I didn't let it slide when someone started a fight by referring to all people with a certain major as "burdens on society" and I don't see why it should stand here.]

Go away! Batin'!

"I like money"....I guess Frito was a Mustachian from the future! 1) Lived in a small studio apartment 2) Few posessions other than TV and Toilet-chair.  3) Few expensive hobbies besides "Baitin'" 3) Likes money!

I can't believe you like money too.  We should hang out.

barbaz

• Stubble
« Reply #5005 on: April 12, 2018, 07:10:01 AM »
Mustachian from the future! 1) Lived in a small studio apartment 2) Few posessions other than TV and Toilet-chair.  3) Few expensive hobbies besides "Baitin'" 3) Likes money!

Me too! Maybe we should have some sort of online forum for people like us to talk.

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5006 on: April 12, 2018, 08:10:35 PM »
Mustachian from the future! 1) Lived in a small studio apartment 2) Few posessions other than TV and Toilet-chair.  3) Few expensive hobbies besides "Baitin'" 3) Likes money!

Me too! Maybe we should have some sort of online forum for people like us to talk.

That would be weird. Nobody would do that.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5007 on: April 12, 2018, 11:59:15 PM »
I had a months' worth of income in checks/ACH payments go through coincidentally on the same day (rent check, taxes, etc), in the middle of a month of not getting a paycheck and having to pay for COBRA, and I can't complain to anyone about it. My friends would think I was bragging about having $4000 in my checking account, and the mustachians just shrug and say "you budgeted for it, right? NBD."

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5008 on: April 13, 2018, 05:46:38 AM »
One of my cards raised my limit several thousand dollars two months ago and I finally noticed because I got an email about it from credit monitoring ( which I get for free due to one or another of the many recent breaches).

kaypinkHH

• Pencil Stache
    • My first Journal!
« Reply #5009 on: April 13, 2018, 07:17:35 AM »
MPP of the day: Got my big giant house sale cheque, went to update a race from X to X forum thread. Was $742 short of the goal. Feel all sad now.

2.5 months later, still hovering around the same mark.  Still haven't been able to break to the next "race" thread. Stupid trade wars and volatile market UGH!!!

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5010 on: April 13, 2018, 08:05:32 AM »
Got an email about my fitness pal having a data breach. I guess  I don't put enough pictures of my breakfast on the internet so they had to hack me. Today I had a banana :)

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5011 on: April 13, 2018, 09:14:21 AM »
My s/o just texted me to ask if I wanted to do "something special" this weekend, that we don't usually do. He suggested going to the movies. I have no idea how to actually even buy a ticket. The last time I went, back when I was in high school, you bought paper tickets from the box office. I have a gut feeling it doesn't work like that anymore.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #5012 on: April 13, 2018, 09:34:33 AM »
Got an email about my fitness pal having a data breach. I guess  I don't put enough pictures of my breakfast on the internet so they had to hack me. Today I had a banana :)

The real threat of this is mostly people who use the same email/password combo on another site like banking, or spear phishing

changed for protection

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Freedom to help others!
« Reply #5013 on: April 13, 2018, 10:13:11 AM »
I have a hard time telling people what I do for a living.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #5014 on: April 13, 2018, 10:17:36 AM »
My s/o just texted me to ask if I wanted to do "something special" this weekend, that we don't usually do. He suggested going to the movies. I have no idea how to actually even buy a ticket. The last time I went, back when I was in high school, you bought paper tickets from the box office. I have a gut feeling it doesn't work like that anymore.

You can still do that. I did that recently with the kids.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5015 on: April 13, 2018, 10:25:51 AM »

Of course, you might be in for a shock when you see what movies cost these days...not to mention popcorn. Have fun!

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5016 on: April 13, 2018, 11:14:10 AM »

Of course, you might be in for a shock when you see what movies cost these days...not to mention popcorn. Have fun!

Budget around $15 per ticket, plus 15-25 for food/drinks.

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5017 on: April 13, 2018, 11:17:32 AM »

Wait, aren't we on MMM? Since when do we buy food/drinks at the movies? Facepunch for you!

Imma, last time I went to the movies in NL (2 years ago? Or more?) you could still get tickets at the box office, but you can also get them online and pick your own seats in advance if you want to do it the modern way.

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5018 on: April 13, 2018, 11:24:02 AM »
pick your own seats in advance

There is reserved seating at the movies now... how is that enforced.... seat must be numbered?  I guess it been a while since I went to the movies.  When was the last Lord of the Rings movie released?

jlcnuke

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5019 on: April 13, 2018, 11:31:04 AM »

There is reserved seating at the movies now... how is that enforced.... seat must be numbered?  I guess it been a while since I went to the movies.  When was the last Lord of the Rings movie released?

Yes, many theatres have numbers seats. The one I go to on the odd occasion where I go see a movie has numbered, assigned, oversized, electric-reclining seats. My next favorite also serves meals and drinks during the movie.

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5020 on: April 13, 2018, 11:44:12 AM »

In my country the seats have been numbered as long as I remember (which is about 18y ago since I went to the movies as a 6yo). Might depend on the movie theatre/location.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5021 on: April 13, 2018, 12:06:54 PM »

Wait, aren't we on MMM? Since when do we buy food/drinks at the movies? Facepunch for you!

Imma, last time I went to the movies in NL (2 years ago? Or more?) you could still get tickets at the box office, but you can also get them online and pick your own seats in advance if you want to do it the modern way.

I think I've seen my brother use an app? But it's good to know you can still get tickets the old fashioned way.

I'm secretly not 100% happy with this idea (because why spend money when you've got Netflix and popcorn at home) but I don't want to ruin our night. We don't go out together that often and it's important to him. And I'm sure it's going to be fun. I've told him my only requirement is that we dress up (=him wearing something that's not a hoodie :)  ) .

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5022 on: April 13, 2018, 12:24:46 PM »
My next favorite also serves meals and drinks during the movie.

It's bad enough when people move around the theater during the movie, to have meals and drinks served during the movie.... sounds like it would be very interrupting. 

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5023 on: April 13, 2018, 04:10:06 PM »

It's bad enough when people move around the theater during the movie, to have meals and drinks served during the movie.... sounds like it would be very interrupting.

I do love the theaters with the recliners, though. There’s one in the nearest city to us, and I think we’ve been twice. It’s the only way I can see a movie without pain because of my neck and back trouble. Can’t go craning my head in the regular seats, but the recliners? Just lean way back. :-)

Luckyvik

• Stubble
« Reply #5024 on: April 13, 2018, 11:03:15 PM »
I have a hard time telling people what I do for a living.
Why?

Step37

• Bristles
« Reply #5025 on: April 13, 2018, 11:07:30 PM »

I do love the theaters with the recliners, though. There’s one in the nearest city to us, and I think we’ve been twice. It’s the only way I can see a movie without pain because of my neck and back trouble. Can’t go craning my head in the regular seats, but the recliners? Just lean way back. :-)

I’ve found it to be a very expensive way to take a nap...

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5026 on: April 14, 2018, 02:46:21 PM »

I do not buy food or drink at the movie theater. Other people seem to, I really don't know why. It's overpriced and doesn't look that good.

penguintroopers

• Bristles
« Reply #5027 on: April 14, 2018, 07:12:27 PM »
Hubby left his credit card at a restaraunt and didn't notice for 6 days since he bardly buys anything.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5028 on: April 14, 2018, 07:25:31 PM »
Hubby left his credit card at a restaraunt and didn't notice for 6 days since he bardly buys anything.

Now THAT is an excellent Mustachian problem.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #5029 on: April 15, 2018, 06:37:24 AM »

I do not buy food or drink at the movie theater. Other people seem to, I really don't know why. It's overpriced and doesn't look that good.
The theater by my work has free popcorn on Mondays, plus all day matinee pricing.  My problem is I can't eat the popcorn!

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5030 on: April 15, 2018, 07:17:36 AM »
Here in Italy, they always do numbered seating in movie theaters - must be a Europe-wide thing.  I found it weird at first.

My best friend and I go to the movies without kids and husbands on cheap movie nights (2-3 euros per ticket for new releases) and bring our own home made popcorn as we are both frugal.  We are both native speakers of English so we always go to the one movie theater where the film isn't dubbed into Italian.  We both speak Italian but hate dubbing. 

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5031 on: April 15, 2018, 07:32:23 AM »
They also have it in Asia (or well.. they had it in Vietnam, haven't been to other Asian cinemas). Maybe America is the odd one out?

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #5032 on: April 15, 2018, 09:06:26 AM »
Movie theaters are highly variable in the US.  In some states it is unnumbered seating, no alcohol or hot food.  In other states the norm is numbered seats, and there is full food and drink service, including alchohol.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5033 on: April 15, 2018, 10:35:50 PM »

Yes, many theatres have numbers seats. The one I go to on the odd occasion where I go see a movie has numbered, assigned, oversized, electric-reclining seats. My next favorite also serves meals and drinks during the movie.

LOL...I read this and immediately thought of my annual flight back to my home country, where we can watch multiple relatively new releases on a private screen in a numbered, reclining chair while being served food and drink...for 15 hours. That's how I get my annual fill of movies.

rantk81

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5034 on: April 16, 2018, 12:33:25 PM »
My MPP Today: My broker sent me a notification TODAY that there is an updated/amended 1099 for my account for 2017. Nice timing, right? They reclassified a few of my trades from being regular short-term cap gains trades into being Section 1256 trades.  The change in classification technically will save me a very small amount on taxes, however, is in no way worth the time/effort to prepare and the extra postage to send the amended documentation.  I wonder if I just do "nothing" if the IRS will just let it go, if the 1040 shows a little bit of unreported 1256 income, but a little extra reported STCG 8949 income.

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5035 on: April 16, 2018, 01:14:21 PM »
My MPP Today: My broker sent me a notification TODAY that there is an updated/amended 1099 for my account for 2017. Nice timing, right? They reclassified a few of my trades from being regular short-term cap gains trades into being Section 1256 trades.  The change in classification technically will save me a very small amount on taxes, however, is in no way worth the time/effort to prepare and the extra postage to send the amended documentation.  I wonder if I just do "nothing" if the IRS will just let it go, if the 1040 shows a little bit of unreported 1256 income, but a little extra reported STCG 8949 income.

I had a similar issue a few years back with a corrected 1099-INT from my mortgage company on the interest they paid on escrow funds. Would have been $7 in additional taxes. I did not file a corrected 1040. Nothing has happened, though to be fair it hasn't been the full 7 years.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5036 on: April 16, 2018, 02:28:16 PM »
I attended a tax conference, where the tax preparer giving the lecture said that while no one outside the IRS could prove it, it's looking like they're only matching about 25% of the forms. Given current technology, this is BS but makes perfect sense give the IRS is massively understaffed and is part of the government (ie, not the best computer systems).

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #5037 on: April 16, 2018, 08:27:38 PM »
I attended a tax conference, where the tax preparer giving the lecture said that while no one outside the IRS could prove it, it's looking like they're only matching about 25% of the forms. Given current technology, this is BS but makes perfect sense give the IRS is massively understaffed and is part of the government (ie, not the best computer systems).

Oh geeze I got an updated form and I have one SINGLE dollar more qualified dividends than previously reported, resulting in zero additional dollars of taxes.  I am NOT filing an amended return.   God help me if I'm audited, but I just can't put in that effort.  I'll report back in a few months to complain about my audit.

EarlyRetirementGuy

• Stubble
    • Early Retirement Guy
« Reply #5038 on: April 17, 2018, 06:01:12 AM »
I am happy for the government to have yet another way to know what TV channels I am watching (or, er, would watch if we had a TV) to never have to deal with meter reading again.

The government could learn a lot about me from my library records (hm... very interested in radical left-wing politics, WW2 and gardening...) but that doesn't stop me taking out all sorts of suspicious books (Russian spies? Inter-war domestic history? Agatha Christie novels? Clearly a threat to national security!)
Does that mean you don't have to pay your annual TV license? Can someone in the UK get away with having a huge monitor to stream Netflix, etc?

Tories coming for you, your library records extrapolate to a vendetta.... you do live in a surveillance society, for reasons starting with the IRA.

Yep, we don't pay our TV licence, which also means we can't watch the Beeb at all, even on iPlayer now. We're fine with that and absolutely stick to the rules. Occasionally there's the odd programme someone mentions that we might like to look at but we just don't. You could totally have a huge monitor or even projector if you wanted to (though I think not an actual TV set capable of playing live broadcast TV even if you didn't use it for that) but we just watch the odd film or TV box set on iTunes on our laptop. We're low maintenance like that :)

Late reply but only just spotted this -

The UK law is that you must not install equipment for the purpose of recieving live or near-live television signals. So you are totally fine to have a TV set capable as long as it's not actually used for that purpose. So a TV for playing video games, DVDs, CCTV etc is all totally legal and you're under no legal obligation to notify the licence inspectors of anything.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5039 on: April 17, 2018, 10:33:16 AM »
I am happy for the government to have yet another way to know what TV channels I am watching (or, er, would watch if we had a TV) to never have to deal with meter reading again.

The government could learn a lot about me from my library records (hm... very interested in radical left-wing politics, WW2 and gardening...) but that doesn't stop me taking out all sorts of suspicious books (Russian spies? Inter-war domestic history? Agatha Christie novels? Clearly a threat to national security!)
Does that mean you don't have to pay your annual TV license? Can someone in the UK get away with having a huge monitor to stream Netflix, etc?

Tories coming for you, your library records extrapolate to a vendetta.... you do live in a surveillance society, for reasons starting with the IRA.

Yep, we don't pay our TV licence, which also means we can't watch the Beeb at all, even on iPlayer now. We're fine with that and absolutely stick to the rules. Occasionally there's the odd programme someone mentions that we might like to look at but we just don't. You could totally have a huge monitor or even projector if you wanted to (though I think not an actual TV set capable of playing live broadcast TV even if you didn't use it for that) but we just watch the odd film or TV box set on iTunes on our laptop. We're low maintenance like that :)

Late reply but only just spotted this -

The UK law is that you must not install equipment for the purpose of recieving live or near-live television signals. So you are totally fine to have a TV set capable as long as it's not actually used for that purpose. So a TV for playing video games, DVDs, CCTV etc is all totally legal and you're under no legal obligation to notify the licence inspectors of anything.

Who's got the burden of proof there, though?

AnswerIs42

• Stubble
« Reply #5040 on: April 17, 2018, 11:05:01 AM »
They do. We still have the concept of innocent until proved guilty in this country (just :))

I've got a nice TV, but haven't had a TV licence since 2006 or so. I don't watch live TV or iPlayer, I just use it for gaming and movies. I just throw their stupid letters in the bin when they arrive (seemingly on a weekly basis).

Recently a friend who's a bit short of money followed my lead and didn't renew his licence. As he says, "it's mostly a load of crap anyway, I was never watching it".

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5041 on: April 17, 2018, 11:08:28 AM »

In most of those cases: you.

"Prove that you have thrown away your TV 3 month ago!! If you cannot proff that, pay!!!"

The government CAN have good computers. But if you have groups like the NRA who lobbied that computers are forbidden in the weapons registration...
Yes, if there is a murder, the people who get 3 containers a week of weapon registrations have to search for gun owners who possess a weapon used in the crime in e.g. that city per hand.
The additional time and failures likely kill more people then terrorists ever have in the US. But at least the government does not dare to storm your house because they don't know what guns you have!!!

jlcnuke

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5042 on: April 17, 2018, 12:22:34 PM »

In most of those cases: you.

"Prove that you have thrown away your TV 3 month ago!! If you cannot proff that, pay!!!"

The government CAN have good computers. But if you have groups like the NRA who lobbied that computers are forbidden in the weapons registration...
Yes, if there is a murder, the people who get 3 containers a week of weapon registrations have to search for gun owners who possess a weapon used in the crime in e.g. that city per hand.
The additional time and failures likely kill more people then terrorists ever have in the US. But at least the government does not dare to storm your house because they don't know what guns you have!!!

There is no federal weapons registration outside of Class III items (almost never used in crimes). On top of that, background checks for weapons purchases are required by law to be destroyed.  Not that it would matter since the vast majority of firearms used in crimes are not possessed legally so any paperwork would be useless and a waste of time to go through to begin with.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5043 on: April 17, 2018, 12:51:19 PM »
They do. We still have the concept of innocent until proved guilty in this country (just :))

I've got a nice TV, but haven't had a TV licence since 2006 or so. I don't watch live TV or iPlayer, I just use it for gaming and movies. I just throw their stupid letters in the bin when they arrive (seemingly on a weekly basis).

Recently a friend who's a bit short of money followed my lead and didn't renew his licence. As he says, "it's mostly a load of crap anyway, I was never watching it".

But honestly, how do they ever prosecute anyone, then? They can't just lurk around outside your house in the bushes with binoculars hoping you'll crack and turn on Eastenders.

AnswerIs42

• Stubble
« Reply #5044 on: April 17, 2018, 01:08:17 PM »
But honestly, how do they ever prosecute anyone, then? They can't just lurk around outside your house in the bushes with binoculars hoping you'll crack and turn on Eastenders.

You're not all that far off - they just occasionally visit people without a licence, hoping that either you'll let them in (a bit like vampires and Jehova's witnesses - you shouldn't invite them into your house), or that they'll be able to see you watching TV through the door / window. It does make you wonder how they ever catch anyone.

I've only been in once when they visited in all that time, and I just explained that I don't watch TV and refused to let them in.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #5045 on: April 17, 2018, 05:09:08 PM »

You're not all that far off - they just occasionally visit people without a licence, hoping that either you'll let them in (a bit like vampires and Jehova's witnesses - you shouldn't invite them into your house), or that they'll be able to see you watching TV through the door / window. It does make you wonder how they ever catch anyone.

I've only been in once when they visited in all that time, and I just explained that I don't watch TV and refused to let them in.

They can detect via complex radio electronics I’m not joking

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5046 on: April 17, 2018, 05:46:51 PM »

They can detect via complex radio electronics I’m not joking

Yep. When I was a kid in Ireland they used to send a van with a scanner around the neighborhood. If they thought you were watching illegally, they could knock at your door and ask questions, but you didn't have to answer the door or let them in.

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5047 on: April 17, 2018, 09:59:34 PM »
This system is... wild. Vans with scanners, licenses needed for TVs. Really sounds strange to someone who's not used to it.

barbaz

• Stubble
« Reply #5048 on: April 18, 2018, 12:47:09 AM »

In Germany they noticed that you can watch public TV on the internet, thus everyone who  has internet has to pay.

I don’t mind though, it’s not that expensive and although 90% of the money is wasted on garbage it’s nice to have independent television *cough*sinclair*cough*

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5049 on: April 18, 2018, 03:13:37 AM »

In Germany they noticed that you can watch public TV on the internet, thus everyone who  has internet has to pay.

I don’t mind though, it’s not that expensive and although 90% of the money is wasted on garbage it’s nice to have independent television *cough*sinclair*cough*

Here in Norway they are also about to introduce a general "media tax", to replace the TV-based TV license. They want to make it income-dependent. I am afraid that with our 2 good incomes, this will become even more expensive than what we pay now.
I hope it will become a lot cheaper in FIRE when our incomes should be very low.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!